• 1 Post By alexr214
  • 2 Post By aniv

post #1 of 30 Old 10-20-2018, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Purchase Used JVC from AVS

I've been cruising the classified section of the forum for about a month and noticed a ton of used JVC projectors. I have no problem purchasing audio items used (80% of my theater is used equipment) but I am a little gun shy about purchasing a used projector. I did it 1 time and the projector didn't function as described and sent it back for a refund.

So my question is for anyone that has purchased or sold a used JVC, Epson or Sony projector on the forum and what was your personal experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-20-2018, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 572
I have had nothing but good luck buying and selling projectors here on the forums.
EastMo40 and wpbpete like this.

Lind Family HT
HT - RS2000 - ST130 - Emotiva RMC-1 - XPA-7 - XPA-5 - GE Triton 2 - GE Supercenter XXL - GE Invisa 650 x 8 - Xbox One X - PS4 Pro - Oppo BDP-203 - Kalediscape Strato - HTPC 1008ti- Dual SVS PB16-Ultra's - Lumagen Radiance Pro
post #3 of 30 Old 10-20-2018, 02:24 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2558 Post(s)
Liked: 1678
Not via here (as I'm UK and not US) but my used JVC purchases have if anything been better than the new ones. I've been able to see how the unit behaved in both cases with respect to convergence, focus, noise light output, etc. I've known exactly what I was getting instead of thinking "have I got a good sample on the way" anxiety.
I'd be reluctant if I'm honest to buy these things used at a distance and have them shipped. The packaging is often damaged in the first shipment (the foams often break) and of course you have no idea how good it looks.
Good luck and happy projecting!
EastMo40 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 10-20-2018, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Using PayPal is a given, one member had to use PayPal's refund option.
The seller never sent the projector, or if it was sent, it got lost.

With that said I bought my Sony 300es from a Canadian seller and all went well.
The seller had been here for a very long time with lots of posts under his belt _ everyone knew who he was and he sold projectors before.

Some here will have 100% feedback over at eBay, so that's a good indication there.

Be wary of new members who just joined with only a few posts.
post #5 of 30 Old 10-21-2018, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
Yeah do your dudilligence, but one reason you are seeing lots of JVC projectors listed right now is due to the new native 4K JVC projectors being announced and being presold right now.
post #6 of 30 Old 10-21-2018, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I've had good luck buying a couple different projectors off forums but depends who you buy from due your research first and get references. If looking for a used jvc at this time you can reach out to some dealers active on here your almost better off getting a new one at the prices they are at now. That way get warranty and no worries.
post #7 of 30 Old 10-22-2018, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I bought a used JVC here on AVS and had it shipped from PA to me here in Southern California and everything went well. The seller was really good about communication throughout the process and I had confidence buying via PayPal with their buyer protection. With that being said, JVC does not allow their warranty to transfer so you have to weigh that risk when deciding whether to purchase one used or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8 of 30 Old 10-22-2018, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Just a quick question for those with a little stronger background with projector purchases. Would you purchase a used JVC 4910 or a used Epson 5040UB? Honest opinions! I have read a ton of reviews and I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on 1 of them.

Thanks again for all of your input. It has been a huge help.
post #9 of 30 Old 10-23-2018, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked: 2238
I've sold a couple of projectors and a plasma on AVS - very pleasant experience.
post #10 of 30 Old 10-23-2018, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastMo40 View Post
Just a quick question for those with a little stronger background with projector purchases. Would you purchase a used JVC 4910 or a used Epson 5040UB? Honest opinions! I have read a ton of reviews and I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on 1 of them.

I had a 4810 which is basically a 4910 and was very happy with the performance. That being said; I'd spend a couple extra bucks and try and get an RS500 or similar. Performance to cost increase is quite a bit better on that series.
EastMo40 likes this.

The purpose of listening shouldn't be to respond as much as it should be to understand.
post #11 of 30 Old 10-23-2018, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
I bought a used JVC here on AVS and had it shipped from PA to me here in Southern California and everything went well. The seller was really good about communication throughout the process and I had confidence buying via PayPal with their buyer protection. With that being said, JVC does not allow their warranty to transfer so you have to weigh that risk when deciding whether to purchase one used or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I, personally, have purchased multiple projectors from AVS. All deals went great. As far as the JVC not "transferring" I have had two projectors sent to JVC that were repaired under warranty when I provided the purchase receipt from the original owner. YMMV...
EastMo40 likes this.
post #12 of 30 Old 10-23-2018, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Most if not all of my audio equipment have been pre-owned and these are my references:

1) Buy local - Craigslist is a wonderful source for audio equipment and my first choice. Not only you can see, touch and test the stuff before buying but I have meet some of the most wonderful and knowledgeable about audio and learned a lot from their set up. Also, I got to listen to some of the most expensive and exclusive equipment that only if I win the lottery tonight that I could even dream to own!

2) Buy from AVS - I have bought a few items including JVC projects from here and have nothing but good experiences.

3) NO EBAY!!! I will not buy anything from Ebay ever again! Got burned two times on two small items. Paypal refunded me on one item but lost the other!
EastMo40 likes this.
post #13 of 30 Old 10-23-2018, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 81
beware of used (or even new) Epson 5040UB projectors

Quote:

I have been watching an Epson 5040UB for a little over a year and a half. The projector is extremely bright, sharp, and fully featured. Contrast is very good - though not as good as JVC contrast - and colors are great. Replacement lamps are significantly cheaper than JVC lamps, and this can add up if you use your projector like a television. The pixel shifting (so-called 4k enhanced) and HDR features are frosting on the cake. My projector has worked perfectly since day one. That is the good news.

The bad news is that 1) more than a few owners have experienced power supply failures. Some have shipped their projectors back to Epson for warranty replacement, and have gotten replacements that also failed. What percentage of 5040UB owners have these problems? Only Epson knows. They are not talking. 2) The 5040UB has a 10gbps HDMI chipset that limits full 4K HDR performance with some games and streaming services. If you only watch Blu Ray discs, this is not a problem. If you like playing 4K HDR games and use streaming services like Amazon, Netflix, etc. this can be an irritating limitation. 3) The frame interpolation and pixel shifting features cannot be used simultaneously with 1080P material. Pick one or the other.

I am very happy with my Epson projector. With recent 4K movies and documentaries (Planet Earth II, Blade Runner 2049 etc.) the picture quality is very impressive. But I sometimes worry about having a power supply problem after the warranty expires. Will Epson lend a helping hand? Don't know.

No personal ownership experience with the JVC. They are the clear favorite projectors of most bat-cave movie watchers on AVSforum, mostly because of their outstanding contrast performance.

Happy viewing,
Joel Dickman
EastMo40 and srkmish like this.

Last edited by joel dickman; 10-27-2018 at 10:44 AM.
post #14 of 30 Old 12-03-2018, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

My worst fear was confirmed. Bought a used JVC on the forum. Used it for a month and now I am having problems. Unit shuts down after about 10 minutes with the warning light flashing 2 times. I checked the manual and the warning light blinking 2 times means that its a fan issue. Ive peached forums for the past 2 days and I am not finding any information about this specific issue. Anyone with any experience with this or had this problem before. I tried pulling the bulb and that didn't fix it either. Any help would be appreciated.
post #15 of 30 Old 12-03-2018, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Quoted: 12315 Post(s)
Liked: 9931
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
My worst fear was confirmed. Bought a used JVC on the forum. Used it for a month and now I am having problems. Unit shuts down after about 10 minutes with the warning light flashing 2 times. I checked the manual and the warning light blinking 2 times means that its a fan issue. Ive peached forums for the past 2 days and I am not finding any information about this specific issue. Anyone with any experience with this or had this problem before. I tried pulling the bulb and that didn't fix it either. Any help would be appreciated.
How do you have the projector installed?
How enclosed?
How close to boundaries?
post #16 of 30 Old 12-03-2018, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
How do you have the projector installed?
How enclosed?
How close to boundaries?
I had it in another room shooting through an opening. It had about 4 inches in front of it. I've since moved it to a place where it is completely open and it's doing the same thing.
post #17 of 30 Old 12-03-2018, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5313 Post(s)
Liked: 5615
Quote:
I had it in another room shooting through an opening. It had about 4 inches in front of it. I've since moved it to a place where it is completely open and it's doing the same thing.
Which JVC model did you buy, any chance it's still in warranty? You can send it to Mendtronix for either in or out of warranty service. Out of warranty looks like it will be $125 for the diagnostics fee and is covered in the repair cost if you go forward with the estimate/repair.

https://mendtronix.com/projector-repair/
EastMo40 likes this.
post #18 of 30 Old 12-03-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Without a picture, it is hard to say how bad that mounting situation was, but it could very well be what caused the projector to break.
post #19 of 30 Old 12-03-2018, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Which JVC model did you buy, any chance it's still in warranty? You can send it to Mendtronix for either in or out of warranty service. Out of warranty looks like it will be $125 for the diagnostics fee and is covered in the repair cost if you go forward with the estimate/repair.

https://mendtronix.com/projector-repair/
Thank you. Looks like I am going to need to send it in.
post #20 of 30 Old 12-03-2018, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Without a picture, it is hard to say how bad that mounting situation was, but it could very well be what caused the projector to break.
Yeah, in hindsight probably not the best but it wasn't the worst. Made some more adjustments but I think the damage might already be done. Going to send it in today and see what they say. Thanks for the help.
post #21 of 30 Old 12-03-2018, 04:26 PM

To those purchasing used, be careful. Research the buyer. There was one guy on here that would purchase used projectors, then claim the projector arrived damaged. he would get his money back and then sell the projector. If anybody wants more details, I would be happy to provide them.
Maddog56, khactuyen and srkmish like this.
post #22 of 30 Old 12-03-2018, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
To those purchasing used, be careful. Research the buyer. There was one guy on here that would purchase used projectors, then claim the projector arrived damaged. he would get his money back and then sell the projector. If anybody wants more details, I would be happy to provide them.
Great point Mike and I received great advice from people on this thread. Buyers must beware. I think this one is on me and my poor installation. Shipped it to Mendtronix today, they should get it Wednesday and we can see what's going on. Lesson learned!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #23 of 30 Old 12-03-2018, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I have mine for sale and someone is planning on buying it. I believe the warranty is not transferable, but my dealer is going to be honoring the warranty period for the buyer. I still have over 2 years left. 🙂

Always do your research before buying used.

If someone wanted to watch a full movie prior to taking it home... awesome!!! More movie time lol

JVC DLA-NX9 | Paladin Anamorphic Lens | Panasonic UB820 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Rotel RB 993 Amp | 135" 2:35:1 Elunevision Aurora NanoEdge Ambient Light Blocking Screen | Paradigm Monitor 11 v7, Monitor Center 3 v7, Monitor Surround 3 v7, CI Pro P65-R |
post #24 of 30 Old 01-19-2019, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Still waiting on Mendtronix to fix my projector. They ran the diagnostics and told me that it was the fan that needed to be replaced. Projector arrived on December 7th to their facility in Atlanta. Ugh... I am struggling. Contemplating purchasing another used one and just selling the RS4910 when I get it back or keep it as a back up. It should be fully functioning with a warranty. The wait is killing me.
post #25 of 30 Old 01-19-2019, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 5056 Post(s)
Liked: 3285
Quote:
Still waiting on Mendtronix to fix my projector. They ran the diagnostics and told me that it was the fan that needed to be replaced. Projector arrived on December 7th to their facility in Atlanta. Ugh... I am struggling. Contemplating purchasing another used one and just selling the RS4910 when I get it back or keep it as a back up. It should be fully functioning with a warranty. The wait is killing me.
The JVC got tons better starting with the RS500 (x750r). You gain about 600 lumens and contrast went up a lot. You can find used in the $2000-3000 range. Models I'd recommend:

RS500 / x750r
RS600 / x950r
RS520 / x770r
RS620 / x970r
RS540 / x790r
RS640 / x990r
EastMo40 and DreamerL007 like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #26 of 30 Old 01-19-2019, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Exactly what I was planning on doing. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #27 of 30 Old 01-23-2019, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I suggest keeping an eye out for some great JVC deals here from some reputable members. As mentioned above, your likely going to continue to see lots of JVC projectors due to the new native 4K JVC projectors that are due to arrive soon.
EastMo40 likes this.
post #28 of 30 Old 01-24-2019, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by btran33 View Post
Most if not all of my audio equipment have been pre-owned and these are my references:

1) Buy local - Craigslist is a wonderful source for audio equipment and my first choice. Not only you can see, touch and test the stuff before buying but I have meet some of the most wonderful and knowledgeable about audio and learned a lot from their set up. Also, I got to listen to some of the most expensive and exclusive equipment that only if I win the lottery tonight that I could even dream to own!

2) Buy from AVS - I have bought a few items including JVC projects from here and have nothing but good experiences.

3) NO EBAY!!! I will not buy anything from Ebay ever again! Got burned two times on two small items. Paypal refunded me on one item but lost the other!
Funny you say No Ebay. I have sold over 800 items till date with 575 100% feedback. How is buying from craigslist safer than buying from ebay? eBay almost always sides with the buyer and on top of that you have Paypal protection.
pjp and mattztt like this.
post #29 of 30 Old 01-24-2019, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 310
I've bought from eBay once and got burnt. They did take care of me but what a hassle. Never going near that cesspool again.

Equipment and collection:
Spoiler!
post #30 of 30 Old 01-24-2019, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexr214 View Post
I suggest keeping an eye out for some great JVC deals here from some reputable members. As mentioned above, your likely going to continue to see lots of JVC projectors due to the new native 4K JVC projectors that are due to arrive soon.
For those that care... Found an unbelievable deal on a RS600 a few days back. Just like you said I was shocked at the price after looking at the cost of other 600's on here. Also came from a very reputable person on here, which gives me some piece of mind.

Thank you everyone for your help. Hopefully I can stick with the RS600 for a few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page