POLL - Projector usage time - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: How many hours is the projector used per year?
50 (or less) per year 2 1.83%
50-300 11 10.09%
300-500 14 12.84%
500-800 17 15.60%
800-1000 13 11.93%
1000-1500 21 19.27%
1500-2000 12 11.01%
2000-3000 16 14.68%
3000-5000 1 0.92%
over 9000 2 1.83%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 Old 11-03-2018, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Erie Pa
Posts: 7,699
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Liked: 1032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Nothing is being skewed. about 72% voted for 1,500 hours or less. Also the over 9,000 per year should be thrown out, since that is more than 24 hours a day, so impossible. And the people voting in this poll are the hardcore projector users, not joe public. I am sure Joe Public hours will be even lower. You guys can argue with this all you want, but I have talked to hundreds of people over the years, regarding how many hours they put on their projector during ownership and I can tell you, it is not anywhere near 1,500 a year average.
We all bring bias into our understanding. Even the forum this is posted to will change the outcome.

As projectors come down in price and lamp replacement costs lessen people will use projectors as more TV like displays. My first projector and theater got used 3 times a week for 2 hours each time, or about 300 hours per year. Now it is on for TV, Streaming media, Movies, and anything else we might dream up about 5 hours per night, or 1800 hours per year.

The people we talk to about usage if they are dedicated theater buffs and watch only movies will be greatly different than the guy buying a 700 dollar projector and playing games and watching sports and TV. What would be interesting is if the OP would post the exact same thread I the other forum and then we could compare.

Bud
bud16415 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 38 Old 11-03-2018, 04:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Nothing is being skewed. about 72% voted for 1,500 hours or less. Also the over 9,000 per year should be thrown out, since that is more than 24 hours a day, so impossible. And the people voting in this poll are the hardcore projector users, not joe public. I am sure Joe Public hours will be even lower. You guys can argue with this all you want, but I have talked to hundreds of people over the years, regarding how many hours they put on their projector during ownership and I can tell you, it is not anywhere near 1,500 a year average.
I think your math is wrong, as of 11/3/18 The data is still about what I said, for 1000 and under it is 49% and for over 1000 hours it is 50%. If you take out the over 9000 hours it actually makes the amount of users 1000 and under 50% and the users over 1000 hours exactly the same 50%. The numbers do not lie.

But if you also take out the under 50 to be fair by taking both extremes out then the percentages revert to 49% watch under 1000 hours and 51% watch over 1000 hours.


If you include the owners of projectors less than $3000 I think the numbers would increase in the amount of hours watched. When the cost goes down more people without a dedicated home theater room will use the projector as their main viewing source. In our group you have a lot of man caves where they are such serious people into home theater (spending tens of thousands on the system) that I bet if there are any other family members living in the home, that a big percentage of them are not allowed to touch the expensive system that the head of the house created Are you high end home theater guys going to let your kids and wife use it when you are not there? I bet a lot of you will not.
primadona is offline  
post #33 of 38 Old 11-03-2018, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,819
Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12003 Post(s)
Liked: 9518
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
We all bring bias into our understanding. Even the forum this is posted to will change the outcome.

As projectors come down in price and lamp replacement costs lessen people will use projectors as more TV like displays. My first projector and theater got used 3 times a week for 2 hours each time, or about 300 hours per year. Now it is on for TV, Streaming media, Movies, and anything else we might dream up about 5 hours per night, or 1800 hours per year.

The people we talk to about usage if they are dedicated theater buffs and watch only movies will be greatly different than the guy buying a 700 dollar projector and playing games and watching sports and TV. What would be interesting is if the OP would post the exact same thread I the other forum and then we could compare.
I agree, but I am not going from speculation or by the limited results of a poll in one thread with a few voters. I have talked to 100's of people over the years and quite often we talk about how many hours they have put on their current projector and how long they have owned it.
Mike Garrett is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 38 Old 11-03-2018, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,819
Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12003 Post(s)
Liked: 9518
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by primadona View Post
I think your math is wrong, as of 11/3/18 The data is still about what I said, for 1000 and under it is 49% and for over 1000 hours it is 50%. If you take out the over 9000 hours it actually makes the amount of users 1000 and under 50% and the users over 1000 hours exactly the same 50%. The numbers do not lie.

But if you also take out the under 50 to be fair by taking both extremes out then the percentages revert to 49% watch under 1000 hours and 51% watch over 1000 hours.


If you include the owners of projectors less than $3000 I think the numbers would increase in the amount of hours watched. When the cost goes down more people without a dedicated home theater room will use the projector as their main viewing source. In our group you have a lot of man caves where they are such serious people into home theater (spending tens of thousands on the system) that I bet if there are any other family members living in the home, that a big percentage of them are not allowed to touch the expensive system that the head of the house created Are you high end home theater guys going to let your kids and wife use it when you are not there? I bet a lot of you will not.
Math wrong? Well then you add up the percentage of people for 1,500 and less, like I said and you will get the same numbers, I did. You keep going to the under 1,000 hours. I used 1,500. Also because of what I do, every year, I talk to several hundred projector owners, about projector usage. Also, I said throw out the over 9,000 because that is impossible. The under 50 is certainly possible.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #35 of 38 Old 11-03-2018, 11:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Math wrong? Well then you add up the percentage of people for 1,500 and less, like I said and you will get the same numbers, I did. You keep going to the under 1,000 hours. I used 1,500. Also because of what I do, every year, I talk to several hundred projector owners, about projector usage. Also, I said throw out the over 9,000 because that is impossible. The under 50 is certainly possible.

There are 10 groups so it makes no sense to slant the data for your view as you are taking the first six of the categories and comparing that to the other four of the categories to sway it; you are taking six categories and comparing that to four categories, duh. If you take the six categories from the top down (1000 and over) you get the same thing, hey guess what a majority of 62%. There are 10 categories so duh, if you are comparing it equally you compare the first five to the top five.
primadona is offline  
post #36 of 38 Old 11-03-2018, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
What would be interesting is if the OP would post the exact same thread I the other forum and then we could compare.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...000-units.html
Although some under $3000 users might have voted in the poll on this thread as well.


Over 9000 is a Dragon Ball Z reference, nerds will know.
primadona likes this.

Last edited by noob00224; 11-04-2018 at 12:57 AM.
noob00224 is offline  
post #37 of 38 Old 11-04-2018, 12:44 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...000-units.html
Although some under $3000 users might have votesd in the poll in this thread as well.


Over 9000 is a Dragon Ball Z reference, nerds will know.
I agree the only way to really know the true market of projectors is to open it to all
noob00224 likes this.
primadona is offline  
post #38 of 38 Old 11-04-2018, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Erie Pa
Posts: 7,699
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Liked: 1032
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...000-units.html
Although some under $3000 users might have voted in the poll on this thread as well.


Over 9000 is a Dragon Ball Z reference, nerds will know.
Thanks. I see only 8 have posted but numbers are trending a little higher at this point.

I think @primadona is correct in regards to the room setting the projector is in. The <3000 folks tend to have a greater percentage of media rooms compared to theaters. Pitch black and rows of seats is great for movies, but for social setting and greatly more time spent viewing of lighter material people get tired of the dark and theater seating. Over the years we evolved away from the classic theater concept and our viewing hours went up.
primadona likes this.

Bud
bud16415 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off