Official Sony VPL-VW695ES Owners Thread - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 300Likes

post #571 of 609 Old 09-24-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK View Post
I'm not sure if I can assist with your question in any meaningful way, but I'll give you my perspective if it helps.

<snip>

SO... My take on all the excitement about Dynamic Tone Mapping? ...Meh. It should be great or at least helpful, but only if it works like a Lumagen and analyzes the video frame by frame. Can a firmware update duplicate what a $6000+ dedicated video processor does? I'll believe it when I see it, I guess, but I don't think I'll run out and buy a new projector over it.

What I can tell you for sure is that I no longer have to fiddle with any settings to get the proper picture. Press one button on the Sony remote to select the SDR/HDR picture mode, pop a disk in the proper player, and hit play. Done. And when people see the picture thrown by this projector now that it is properly set up, the usual response is "Holy crap! That's a projector? That looks way better than a movie theater!" An opinion which I suppose I agree with...
This is a very helpful reply - thanks, DAK.

It confirms what I figured overall - that the Sony has the same challenges as the JVC in regard to proper HDR handling.

I initially used a custom gamma curve, and it worked fairly well. But better with some than others. ChadB is awesome, so I'm confident he gave you the best possible curve to handle the widest variety of content. Glad that's working great for you.

With regard to the JVC DTM, it reportedly is in fact 'frame-by-frame' adjustment, with some type of 'scene-by-scene' option as well. So theoretically, this should out-perform any universal custom curve, as well as not be dependent on metadata.

How well it does this is not known at this time. If it performs anywhere near a Lumagen, it's going to be a huge winner. Like you I don't see a way it can directly compete with a Lumagen or Envy, but if it gets in the general ballpark, it's going to be enough for most of us, and likely much better than anything I've been able to achieve with my current setup.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 609 Old 09-24-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12543 Post(s)
Liked: 10160
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
I'm not sure if I can assist with your question in any meaningful way, but I'll give you my perspective if it helps. I picked up my 695 back in October 2018, and paired it with an Oppo 205. I spent months, off and on, struggling to get HDR to look right with only things like S&M calibration discs to help me. I scoured the forums, read everything I could find, nothing really helped. It was a frustrating experience to say the least. I'd spend hours trying to get The Matrix to look decent, only to find blown-out contrast on Fury Road. I'd get Fury Road looking OK, but Blade Runner 2049 would look like crap. Et cetera, ad infinitum. Using the Oppo's ability to do SDR down-conversion was about the only thing I could get to work consistently, and even then I encountered some of the known gltiches with the Oppo firmware which would pop-up randomly and spoil the video experience. In desperation, I picked up the UB9000 (not the 820, important difference here) in an attempt to get some sort of uniform HDR video experience. This worked much better, but I still ran into issues due to missing HDR metadata, and I could see that the famous "Optimizer" sometimes optimized fine details right out of the picture, so even that was not perfect. I still saw blown-out whites and crushed blacks in certain movies. The 9000 did work better -- in general -- than the Oppo for HDR material, but not for anything else.

Part of my problem was that I could not wrap my head around turning OFF the projector's HDR setting. I paid (overpaid, if you are a JVC fan, LOL) a big chunk of change for a 4K HDR projector, so I wanted to use the HDR capability that I paid good money for.

Eventually I caved and got an ISF calibration done (ChadB, if you are curious). He was super-familiar with all my gear, and with his help I was able to FINALLY get HDR looking good (and correct). The trick I came to understand and Chad used, is to turn off HDR on the Sony and use custom gamma curves. Chad created SDR and HDR modes on the projector, along with 3 custom gamma curves (I only really ever use the main one), using his instrumentation in combination with my screen/projector. We configured my UB9000 for HDR duty, and the Oppo for SDR content and everything else. Note that the HDR Optimzer in my UB9000 is turned OFF. Why? Because HDR metadata cannot be trusted, the Optimizer doesn't work properly if it is wrong or missing, so my setup ignores metadata completely. The 9000's killer feature is merely it's proper support and tone mapping for 350 nit displays, which neither the UB820 (nor the Oppo) handle. (For those who don't know, the 9000's 350 nit luminance setting was developed in conjunction with JVC, but works just fine for any projector with this luminance level.)

SO... My take on all the excitement about Dynamic Tone Mapping? ...Meh. It should be great or at least helpful, but only if it works like a Lumagen and analyzes the video frame by frame. Can a firmware update duplicate what a $6000+ dedicated video processor does? I'll believe it when I see it, I guess, but I don't think I'll run out and buy a new projector over it.

What I can tell you for sure is that I no longer have to fiddle with any settings to get the proper picture. Press one button on the Sony remote to select the SDR/HDR picture mode, pop a disk in the proper player, and hit play. Done. And when people see the picture thrown by this projector now that it is properly set up, the usual response is "Holy crap! That's a projector? That looks way better than a movie theater!" An opinion which I suppose I agree with...
DTM is just one small feature of the Lumagen. I would not buy a Lumagen, just for DTM. I will say, I saw the DTM on the JVC in action and it seemed to work pretty good. It does not have to match what the Lumagen can do for it to be a great success. Heck if it is 75% of what Lumagen DTM can do, it will be a great success.
post #573 of 609 Old 09-25-2019, 07:15 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6684 Post(s)
Liked: 6681
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoak View Post
The brightness on my 570 dropped by almost half suddenly after only 400 hrs. Sony have replaced the lamp with a new one but the picture is still very dim.
Did you call Sony back? They working on a solution?

--I wonder if that could happen to do with the light engine. Back in the day there was light engine degradation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 609 Old 09-26-2019, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Sony are working on the problem. The other clue I gave them is that the projector started making a clicking noise when turned on and again when turned off. I thought this might be the dynamic iris trying to correct itself. Sony have had the projector for three weeks now so I hope they return it soon.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #575 of 609 Old 09-28-2019, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hello All

I am looking to order a 695 this week end. I was just wondering if anything new would come in January CES. I will hardly use the projector for less than 15 days next 3 months due to travel. If projectors are not expected till next CEDIA, I may as well get a new one now.

Cheers

Raj
post #576 of 609 Old 09-28-2019, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I guess there are a number of folks, who use a Panasonic UB820/824 with their 695ES/570ES projector.

I have seen a best settings thread for the new JVC projectors, but not for this projector so far: Who has seen or tweaked good settings for this combo?

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk
post #577 of 609 Old 09-28-2019, 04:56 PM
DAK

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by rramacha View Post
Hello All

I am looking to order a 695 this week end. I was just wondering if anything new would come in January CES. I will hardly use the projector for less than 15 days next 3 months due to travel. If projectors are not expected till next CEDIA, I may as well get a new one now.

Cheers

Raj
Doesn't Sony refresh their models every 2 years? If so, the 695 is barely a year old, so you got some time.
post #578 of 609 Old 09-28-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rramacha View Post
Hello All

Cheers

Raj
Nothing expected at CES.
post #579 of 609 Old 09-28-2019, 04:59 PM
DAK

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsneaker View Post
I guess there are a number of folks, who use a Panasonic UB820/824 with their 695ES/570ES projector.

I have seen a best settings thread for the new JVC projectors, but not for this projector so far: Who has seen or tweaked good settings for this combo?
The Panasonic 820/824 is the wrong unit to pair with this projector. It does not have the luminance setting needed for proper HDR. The UB9000 has the correct setting needed.
post #580 of 609 Old 09-28-2019, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Doesn't Sony refresh their models every 2 years? If so, the 695 is barely a year old, so you got some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Nothing expected at CES.
Thank you both.

Cheers

Raj
post #581 of 609 Old 09-29-2019, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
The Panasonic 820/824 is the wrong unit to pair with this projector. It does not have the luminance setting needed for proper HDR. The UB9000 has the correct setting needed.

I disagree. I think the UB820 luminance settings are just fine for this projector and look great. Now, I would say that if you can afford the 9000, then by all means, go ahead and get it as it does give you some additional options not available on the 820, but I have been more than happy with the results I get using the 820 with the 695.
post #582 of 609 Old 09-29-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsneaker View Post

If using the Panasonic 820 with the 695, I would recommend these settings:

For 4k, set it to SDR / BT2020
Optimizer On, Slider at +3
White Gamma +2
Black Gamma +1
Sharpness - Luna (HF): +1
Edge Correction: 1

For 1080P, I use:

Display: Projector
Picture Type: Normal
Luminance - Tone Curve (Black): +1
Sharpness - Luna (HF): +1
Edge Correction: 1

(and for very grainy movies, I set Noise Reduction for Block, Random and Mosquito to 5)

As for settings on the 695, it may vary somewhat from movie to movie as not all movies look good at the same gamma levels (some look better at 2.4, some better at 2.2, and dependent somewhat on the light control / darkness within the room itself). I have a sort of baseline setting that I use, but I vary it from movie to movie as needed.

For 4k discs in the Panasonic, I mostly use:

Cinema Film 2
Contrast 85
Brightness 53 (between 52 and 53 for the most part)
Color Temp Custom3* (or sometimes D65)
Reality Creation On, Res 42, NF 29 (Res up to 80 if picture quality is great, down to 9 if picture is very grainy, and same for the Noise Filter, but in the opposite direction, depending on if the image is clean or grainy)
Contrast Enhancer High
Lamp High (HDR looks much better in High Lamp but the fan noise is loud, so you may need to build a hush box or get the projector as far away from the seats as you can)
Gamma Correction 2.2 (sometimes 2.4)
Smooth Gradiation Middle
Color 50
Sharpness 50
Hue 50
NR Off
Motion Flow True Cinema
Input Lag Reduction Off
Iris: Full, 91 (though it can go up to 94 if you want a little more brightness)
Clear White Off
x.v. color Off
Color Correction Off
HDR :Auto
Color Space: BT2020

*Custom3 setting is basically D65 with the RGB Gain turned up from 128 to 180. Instructions at bottom.

And here's the settings I use for 1080P Blu-rays in the Panasonic 820:

Cinema Film 1
Contrast 96
Brightness 51
Color Temp D65
Color 50
Reality Creation On, Res 42, NF 32
Contrast Enhancer Low
Lamp Low
Gamma Correction 2.2
Smooth Gradation Medium
Sharpness 50
Iris Full, Brightness 94
Motion Flow True Cinema
NR Off
MPEG NR Off
Color Space BT.709
Clear White Off
x.v. color Off
Color Correction Off
HDR Auto
Input Lag Reduction Off

Here's how to turn up RGB Gain to get a bit more brightness when watching HDR content:

Enter into Service Menu by pressing "Enter, Enter, Left, Enter" on the remote control
On the left hand side of the menu, where the icons are, go all the way to the bottom and select "Device"
Under "W/B", select Custom3 (which is based off of D65)
Adjust R, G and B values up from 128 to 180 for each and click Enter until you go back to the main area, then save changes
Now you can select Custom3 and you will have more brightness/pop when watching HDR content (in addition to setting lamp mode to High)

Last edited by m0j0; 10-08-2019 at 04:12 PM.
post #583 of 609 Old 10-03-2019, 06:15 AM

Today Sony sent out an email with an exchange offer.

Sony FPJ Trade in Program 9/30 – 12/29

"A customer can trade in any Barco, BenQ, DPI, Epson, Hisense, JVC, LG, Optoma, Runco, SIM2 or Sony consumer projector and get 10% off the purchase of the Sony projectors on the left."

This applies to:
VW5000
VW995
VW695
VZ1000

Note
• Trade in Projectors must be Consumer/Home Projectors, not professional models.
• Sony reserves the right to end the promotion early with two weeks advanced notice.
m0j0 likes this.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 10-03-2019 at 06:21 AM.
post #584 of 609 Old 10-09-2019, 11:42 AM
K T

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
If anybody has a 2019 Sony projector and enjoys 3D movies but find that is just too dim please read on. I found out that the 2018 projectors like the 285 and 675 have a 3D bright mode in the 3D settings that Sony removed from the newer models firmware. I have spoken with Sony's technical support and asked if it's possible that this function be given back to us. They said that they would ask engineering in Japan to look into it but that they are doubtful as I was the first person this year to complain about 3D. Apparently nobody watches 3D anymore. Well I still like it and can't be the only one.

So... If this is something that may be of interest to you please contact Sony technical support and ask for this feature to re-added. The more people that call may increase the chances that Sony will listen. Thanks.
post #585 of 609 Old 10-09-2019, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I upgraded from an older VPL-VW95ES to the VW570ES (695 in the US) - I‘m actually quite happy with the brightness but even better is, that I now have zero ghosting in the 3D movies.

3D is not important for me - I mostly enjoy it in well done animation movies.

post #586 of 609 Old 10-09-2019, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I recently upgraded to this projector and had a question about zooming. If I’m setting this to 115 inch 2.35 should I use the normal aspect and just zoom out or should I use the 2.35 option on the projector? Is there even a difference in picture quality?
post #587 of 609 Old 10-10-2019, 01:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by K T View Post
If anybody has a 2019 Sony projector and enjoys 3D movies but find that is just too dim please read on. I found out that the 2018 projectors like the 285 and 675 have a 3D bright mode in the 3D settings that Sony removed from the newer models firmware. I have spoken with Sony's technical support and asked if it's possible that this function be given back to us. They said that they would ask engineering in Japan to look into it but that they are doubtful as I was the first person this year to complain about 3D. Apparently nobody watches 3D anymore. Well I still like it and can't be the only one.

So... If this is something that may be of interest to you please contact Sony technical support and ask for this feature to re-added. The more people that call may increase the chances that Sony will listen. Thanks.
Sony Lies...

I made the same question and I know that there are other people asking for it.

Cheers
post #588 of 609 Old 10-10-2019, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edub90 View Post
I recently upgraded to this projector and had a question about zooming. If I’m setting this to 115 inch 2.35 should I use the normal aspect and just zoom out or should I use the 2.35 option on the projector? Is there even a difference in picture quality?

I don't have a 2.35 screen but if you do I would use the 2.35 option.
post #589 of 609 Old 10-10-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Quote:
I recently upgraded to this projector and had a question about zooming. If I&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;m setting this to 115 inch 2.35 should I use the normal aspect and just zoom out or should I use the 2.35 option on the projector? Is there even a difference in picture quality?

I don't have a 2.35 screen but if you do I would use the 2.35 option.
Thanks for the response! There’s no picture degradation or anything that you know of in that mode?
post #590 of 609 Old 10-10-2019, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the response! There’s no picture degradation or anything that you know of in that mode?
No, not that I am aware of.
post #591 of 609 Old 10-10-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Normal gives you 1:1 pixel mapping. In other words, no scaling. 2.35 option uses full panel width, so you have some scaling, but the scaling is good, you will not be able to see a difference, when watching content. Using the 2.35 option does gain you about 6% light output. It also allows a shorter throw if needed to fill the scope screen.
m0j0 likes this.
post #592 of 609 Old 10-10-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Normal gives you 1:1 pixel mapping. In other words, no scaling. 2.35 option uses full panel width, so you have some scaling, but the scaling is good, you will not be able to see a difference, when watching content. Using the 2.35 option does gain you about 6% light output. It also allows a shorter throw if needed to fill the scope screen.
Perfect. Thank you for that awesome answer Mike! Didn’t see much of a difference when I was testing it yesterday so I just wanted to double check.
m0j0 likes this.
post #593 of 609 Old 10-16-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Thought I'd come here to rant about my 695 Sony projector.
I had to send it in for repairs to United Radio. It needs a new input board. I've been waiting for almost a month. They told me a week ago that they would be getting the part. It never happened. I called United Radio today and they told me the date has been pushed out. They also told me I might be getting a B-Stock to replace my projector. with 120 hrs. on it. What's up with Sony and fixing a $10K projector? If they can fix B-stock why can't they fix mine? Every B-stock I've had has had problems. I feel they should give me a new projector if they don't have the part. I was told by United Radio that they don't stock parts and that Sony makes them on a need basis. I would have to wait for the part to come from Japan. WTF?
post #594 of 609 Old 10-16-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensmith48 View Post
I had to send it in for repairs to United Radio. It needs a new input board. I've been waiting for almost a month. They told me a week ago that they would be getting the part. It never happened. I called United Radio today and they told me the date has been pushed out. They also told me I might be getting a B-Stock to replace my projector. with 120 hrs. on it. What's up with Sony and fixing a $10K projector? If they can fix B-stock why can't they fix mine? Every B-stock I've had has had problems. I feel they should give me a new projector if they don't have the part. I was told by United Radio that they don't stock parts and that Sony makes them on a need basis. I would have to wait for the part to come from Japan. WTF?
When did you buy your projector and how many hours are on it?
post #595 of 609 Old 10-16-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When did you buy your projector and how many hours are on it?
Bought the projector last December 2018. It has 120 hrs. on it.
post #596 of 609 Old 10-16-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Bought the projector last December 2018. It has 120 hrs. on it.
A B-stock is an A-stock projector that was sent in for repair. The B-stock probably would have a newer serial number than your projector and would have the same hours on it as your projector. As long as it does not have any issues, I really do not see a difference. Your projector, once repaired would be listed as a B-stock by Sony. Now if your projector was only a month or two old, then I would be pushing for a new replacement. At 11 months old, I would not expect a new projector.
post #597 of 609 Old 10-16-2019, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I asked how many hours would be on the bulb of a B-Stock. They didn't know.
Like I said before my past experience with B-Stock hasn't been good. They say it's repaired but it has the same issues before they say it was repaired. If they can repair B-Stock then why is it so hard to repair mine?
post #598 of 609 Old 10-16-2019, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5378 Post(s)
Liked: 5712
Quote:
Like I said before my past experience with B-Stock hasn't been good. They say it's repaired but it has the same issues before they say it was repaired. If they can repair B-Stock then why is it so hard to repair mine?
you bought an A stock and out of commission for a month and still waiting. With very low hours they should be replacing it with an A stock if they can't repair it in a timely manner. The B-stock status will hurt resale value if you decide to sell it. Also if you had a good projector to begin with (good focus, convergence, etc) there is no telling the quality of the B stock replacement.

I would try to escalate further. This wasn't a cheap purchase and they should stand by their product.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #599 of 609 Old 10-17-2019, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2059 Post(s)
Liked: 2270
Quote:
Sorry to hear about your issue. I have had 3 Sony Projectors and just sold my 695 (luckily I had zero issues with it). Overall I was very happy with each projector. I can tell you about 5 years ago my Sony HW 50 stopped working after a few months and I escalated to something like the presidents line (can't remember the actual name) and they over nighted me a brand new projector. Maybe your not yelling loud enough or at the right people?
post #600 of 609 Old 10-17-2019, 05:28 AM

Quote:
I misread one thing. I thought you said Sony told you that they would give you a projector with 120 hours on it. You were talking about your projector having 120 hours on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page