Official Sony VPL-VW695ES Owners Thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 347Likes

post #691 of 754 Old 01-08-2020, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13192 Post(s)
Liked: 10818
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Thanks Craig, regretfully, although my walls and ceiling are dark, there still could be some reflective surfaces like ceiling pot lights and parts of a wood floor (most covered by a rug). I do appreciate all the insights as it assists in making the correct decision for my particular set up.
If your walls and ceiling are dark, then you should be looking at a white screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 754 Old 01-08-2020, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
If your walls and ceiling are dark, then you should be looking at a white screen.
Thanks Mike, but what about loss of blacks with a 1.3 gain if the room isn't completely reflective free?
post #693 of 754 Old 01-08-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks Mike, but what about loss of blacks with a 1.3 gain if the room isn't completely reflective free?
You do not have to have a room that is completely free of reflections to use a white screen. Yes, improving the room will provide an improvement, but from what you described, you are mostly there. A 1.3 gain ST130 white screen is going to provide you a better image in your room than a 1.2 gain Slate screen. Especially for HDR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 754 Old 01-08-2020, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You do not have to have a room that is completely free of reflections to use a white screen. Yes, improving the room will provide an improvement, but from what you described, you are mostly there. A 1.3 gain ST130 white screen is going to provide you a better image in your room than a 1.2 gain Slate screen. Especially for HDR.
Do you know if a SI Solar white 1.3 gain would be equal to the Stewart ST130?
post #695 of 754 Old 01-08-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Do you know if a SI Solar white 1.3 gain would be equal to the Stewart ST130?
ST130 is considered the reference standard.
Craig Peer and Todd G. like this.
post #696 of 754 Old 01-08-2020, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 7616 Post(s)
Liked: 9423
Quote:
Thanks Craig, regretfully, although my walls and ceiling are dark, there still could be some reflective surfaces like ceiling pot lights and parts of a wood floor (most covered by a rug). I do appreciate all the insights as it assists in making the correct decision for my particular set up.
Take a look at my theater ( link in signature ) - it's not totally black, but it's black where it counts and dark grey everywhere else. And white screens work just fine.
Todd G. likes this.
post #697 of 754 Old 01-08-2020, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Take a look at my theater ( link in signature ) - it's not totally black, but it's black where it counts and dark grey everywhere else. And white screens work just fine.
WOW, what a great set up. Something for all to aspire too!. The screen shots are fantastic, and your choice of content is very similar to mine. All the movies shown are in my top catalogue.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #698 of 754 Old 01-08-2020, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 7616 Post(s)
Liked: 9423
Quote:
WOW, what a great set up. Something for all to aspire too!. The screen shots are fantastic, and your choice of content is very similar to mine. All the movies shown are in my top catalogue.
Thank you. I've been improving the same theater for 10+ years. And I have a dedicated bunch of friends that love coming over to watch movies ! They even bring wine .
m0j0 and Todd G. like this.
post #699 of 754 Old 01-08-2020, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hello!

Are there any firmware updates for this? I'm not seeing it anywhere online. if so, where can I get it? Having some handshake issues. Thanks in advance
post #700 of 754 Old 01-08-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breen Lyden View Post
Hello!

Are there any firmware updates for this? I'm not seeing it anywhere online. if so, where can I get it? Having some handshake issues. Thanks in advance
Does Sony show a firmware update newer than what you have? As for handshaking issues, need to know what issue? If talking about a slight video delay, that is normal. If you are talking dropout, I would be looking into your HDMI cable.
post #701 of 754 Old 01-09-2020, 09:43 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7150 Post(s)
Liked: 7194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Napier View Post
Thanks DAK, I was looking at Sanus - VisionMount Projector Mount. Has anyone used them before
Do you already have an existing mount or starting out fresh? You could also build a box and never buy a mount ever again. Just need an adapter plate because your holes do not line up? <<< Click Here >>> to be linked to pics and details on universal adapter plate and projector box with instructions.
post #702 of 754 Old 01-09-2020, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Hello!

There have been no firmware updates released by Sony for the 695ES. I have no handshaking issues with my 695ES, and I am guessing that your handshaking issues are caused by your HDMI cable.

Tom
Archibald1 likes this.
post #703 of 754 Old 01-18-2020, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hello, everyone.

I am having a HDMI handshaking issue with Apple TV 4k. Sometimes I have a blinking picture and sometimes sudden loss of signal(black screen) but the sound still continues to play. When I press stop or any buttons on Apple TV 4k remote control, it will come back to main screen of Apple TV 4k.
The HDMI cable from Apple TV 4k to Trinnov AL32 is Palic 8800 model 1.5 meters and the HDMI cable from Trinnov AL32 to 695ES is Pixelgen 4k(THX certified) 5 meters. I don't have any blinking pictures or sudden loss of signal(black screen) with Pioneer LX-500 with the same Palic 8800 model 1.5 meters.

All equipments are updated to latest firmware. Is this a bug or glitch of Apple TV 4k?

Someone suggest to me that Belkin Ultra HD High Speed HDMI® Cable (AV10175bt2M-BLK) can solve this HDMI handshaking issue completely.

Should I buy this Belkin HDMI cable?
Has anyone ever experienced this issue like me?

Thank you for your help.
post #704 of 754 Old 01-18-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattypol View Post
Hello, everyone.

I am having a HDMI handshaking issue with Apple TV 4k. Sometimes I have a blinking picture and sometimes sudden loss of signal(black screen) but the sound still continues to play. When I press stop or any buttons on Apple TV 4k remote control, it will come back to main screen of Apple TV 4k.
The HDMI cable from Apple TV 4k to Trinnov AL32 is Palic 8800 model 1.5 meters and the HDMI cable from Trinnov AL32 to 695ES is Pixelgen 4k(THX certified) 5 meters. I don't have any blinking pictures or sudden loss of signal(black screen) with Pioneer LX-500 with the same Palic 8800 model 1.5 meters.

All equipments are updated to latest firmware. Is this a bug or glitch of Apple TV 4k?

Someone suggest to me that Belkin Ultra HD High Speed HDMI® Cable (AV10175bt2M-BLK) can solve this HDMI handshaking issue completely.

Should I buy this Belkin HDMI cable?
Has anyone ever experienced this issue like me?

Thank you for your help.
Never use a cable under 2 meters. Replace the 1.5 meter cables and see if that solves your problem.
Nattypol likes this.
post #705 of 754 Old 01-19-2020, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
One thing that is interesting is that I have a Panasonic UB820 4k blu ray player, and Chad B left the Dynamic Range Conversion Adj slider value to zero, and in the report says to "adjust to taste". So, even though I thought the picture looked good when we put in a 4k disc initially, it looks even better now that I have adjusted the slider! In looking at the report, there are a few other areas where he leaves it up to you to decide what you like better, so make sure to go through and modify those settings to complete the setup.
I'm in west Denver. Does Chad B travel to other parts of the country to work his calibration magic?
post #706 of 754 Old 01-19-2020, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnieto View Post
I'm in west Denver. Does Chad B travel to other parts of the country to work his calibration magic?
He does calibration tours in different parts of the country. Not sure about Denver, but possibly. Looks like he lists Nevada and the Rockies in September.

http://www.hdtvbychadb.com/tours.html
post #707 of 754 Old 01-19-2020, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Official Sony VPL-VW695ES Owners Thread

Quote:

He calibrated a projector for a forum member in Boulder recently, so your chances are good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
m0j0 likes this.

Basement bat cave: JVC RS2000 (calibrated), 100" 16:9 Stewart StudioTek 130, Denon AVR-X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Polk RTi A7 towers/CSi A6 center/65RT in-wall side surrounds (2)/70RT in-ceiling Atmos (4), dual PSA V1811 subwoofers
post #708 of 754 Old 01-19-2020, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ceiling mount and keystone issues?

Does anyone have a Sony VPL VW695ES mounted in the ceiling and have any keystone issues with the image?

I'm setting up one for a client and we are seeing some keystone affect on one side of the image.
I don't see any options in the settings for any such adjustments.
I have the projector mounted about 4 inches from the ceiling, projecting about 17' to a 135" Elite Prime Vision Polar Max Tension ALR screen which is dropped about 8 inches from that top of the 12' ceiling.

I'm wondering if lowering the projector with an extension on the projector mount will help with this.

Any pointers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82355774_599421160889524_3713658058195337216_n.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	2672484  
post #709 of 754 Old 01-19-2020, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 1423
There is no keystone adjustment as far as I know. Try extending the image into the black area of the screen and turn on blanking, th n adjust until it cuts off anything outside the white area of the screen.
post #710 of 754 Old 01-19-2020, 11:16 PM
DAK

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlinthi View Post
Any pointers?
I can't really tell from the photo... keystoning on only one side? I had something similar but it was a combination of the projector not being aimed perfectly perpendicular (both left-right and up-down was off). Leaving the lens shift alone as much as you can (try to center it), adjust the mount up/down to remove as much keystone as you can AND check that left-right adjustment is square too. Once you have a picture that is as square as possible, THEN use the lens shift to position the image. If all else fails, you'll probably need to let the skewed part of the image overscan onto the border and perhaps adjust the blanking too.

P.S.: Don't assume the room walls are square. It would be a miracle if the home builders built the walls perfectly square. The screen may be hanging perfectly square to the back wall but the wall itself may not be square to the rest of the room.

Last edited by DAK; 01-19-2020 at 11:20 PM.
post #711 of 754 Old 01-20-2020, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2407 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlinthi View Post
Does anyone have a Sony VPL VW695ES mounted in the ceiling and have any keystone issues with the image?

I'm setting up one for a client and we are seeing some keystone affect on one side of the image.
I don't see any options in the settings for any such adjustments.
I have the projector mounted about 4 inches from the ceiling, projecting about 17' to a 135" Elite Prime Vision Polar Max Tension ALR screen which is dropped about 8 inches from that top of the 12' ceiling.

I'm wondering if lowering the projector with an extension on the projector mount will help with this.

Any pointers?

Try to lower the projector so the middle of the lens is at least level with the top of the screen if you can.
Also, get the lens as near to the centre line of the screen as possible.

As has been said, no keystone on these. It lowers resolution anyway and is best avoided.
Don't resort to any blanking or anything like that until you have optimised the projector placement and make sure it is completely level on both axes.
Then make sure the lens is parallel with the screen.
Move the lens pattern to an inch inside the edges of the screen border and get the image square and then use the lens functions to zoom to fit.
Try to align the top of the screen to the top of the screen as most of the zoom will happen downwards on a ceiling mounted projector, if that makes sense. You will see what I mean when you try it.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #712 of 754 Old 01-20-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I would also check with Kris Deering.
https://www.deepdiveav.com/
m0j0 likes this.
post #713 of 754 Old 01-20-2020, 03:52 PM

Is anyone having problems with pre/pros not playing nice with Sony’s enhanced HDMI format? My McIntosh MX170 is passing it all. I have to switch to standard format to get any kind of picture. My dealer and I have tried EVERYTHING including swapping out the Mx170. I have an Audioquest Cherry Cola active optical 18gbps 30 ft HDMI. Yes, I’ve tried another cable of the same caliber. Yes, I made sure the cable is running in the right direction. Thanks in advance!
post #714 of 754 Old 01-20-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Is anyone having problems with pre/pros not playing nice with Sony’s enhanced HDMI format? My McIntosh MX170 is passing it all. I have to switch to standard format to get any kind of picture. My dealer and I have tried EVERYTHING including swapping out the Mx170. I have an Audioquest Cherry Cola active optical 18gbps 30 ft HDMI. Yes, I’ve tried another cable of the same caliber. Yes, I made sure the cable is running in the right direction. Thanks in advance!
Get two 6' premium certified HDMI cables. Connect a 4k UHD BD player to the MX170 and use a second 6' premium certified HDMI to connect from the MX170 to the projector. If this does not work, connect the UHD player direct to the projector. I think the problem will be either the cable or the MX170 and my money is on the cable, being the problem.
post #715 of 754 Old 01-21-2020, 05:23 AM
DAK

Quote:
I'm using a Marantz 8805 and a Panny UB9000 via 50' Ruipro active cable (from the Marantz); tried out Gemini Man to see what 4K60p looks like (and if it would even work at this bitrate/bitdepth) and all is working perfectly. The McIntosh/Lyngdorf rigs ought to handle this easily...?
post #716 of 754 Old 01-21-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Get two 6' premium certified HDMI cables. Connect a 4k UHD BD player to the MX170 and use a second 6' premium certified HDMI to connect from the MX170 to the projector. If this does not work, connect the UHD player direct to the projector. I think the problem will be either the cable or the MX170 and my money is on the cable, being the problem.
My Audioquest cable works perfectly from any source other than the mx170 to the projector. This my 2nd mx170
post #717 of 754 Old 01-21-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
My Audioquest cable works perfectly from any source other than the mx170 to the projector. This my 2nd mx170
Sounds like an MX170 issue.
post #718 of 754 Old 01-22-2020, 05:02 AM
DAK

Quote:
Hate to ask, but have you tried "downgrading" to the MX160? The MX170 is the new Lyngdorf MP-60 (50?) under the covers and perhaps it has an issue... The MX160 is a tweaked Marantz 8805 under the hood and it works fine.
post #719 of 754 Old 01-22-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK View Post
Hate to ask, but have you tried "downgrading" to the MX160? The MX170 is the new Lyngdorf MP-60 (50?) under the covers and perhaps it has an issue... The MX160 is a tweaked Marantz 8805 under the hood and it works fine.
I had the mx160 and it worked perfectly! I was able to haggle my way into getting a great deal on upgrading. I wanted the new features (HDCP 2.2/2.3, 18Gbps & 4:4:4 Color). The new features are what I’m having a problem with.
post #720 of 754 Old 01-22-2020, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2407 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
Quote:
If changing the projector HDMI setting to standard, makes a picture appear, then that is changing the PJs EDID to a more compatible one.

Sounds like there is a hidden setting on the MX170 that is not enabled thereby not allowing a full 18Gbps signals to pass.

Edit, have you tried the same cable but with a direct source to PJ connection to verify the cable is okay and both devices are indeed accepting 18Gbps properly?
Your cable might be supposed to pass 18Gbps, but there may be an issue with your individual cable.
Once you have verified the cable then the issue, if it still persists) lies with the MX70 most likely.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.

Last edited by Archibald1; 01-22-2020 at 06:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page