Official Sony VPL-VW695ES Owners Thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 366Likes

post #781 of 801 Old 05-04-2020, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp_fanatic2016 View Post
Was a demo unit. But why would it need to be replaced ? I read in multiple places that these Sony's are notorious for convergence issues. Anyone have this issue ? Also, is there a number you guys recommend I call ? Have anyone had this issue as well ?
Do you know exactly how it was treated when used for demo? Was it handled carefully and respectfully when removed and replaced in packaging? I do know from experience that what you would think are subtle knocks and handling can cause panels to come slightly out of alignment.

Convergence can be dealt with in a number of ways, but if it is under warranty and you are not happy, exercise your consumer rights and reject it for a replacement.

No point in mucking around especially if sold as new with full warranty.

I have had my fair share of Sony PJs and have never had any issues with convergence that can't be dealt with using the controls available.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking. ~~~ "Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 801 Old 05-04-2020, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Understood. Is there a best number to call for this ? I know some of you must have had to go through this before. I stay away from calling general 1-800 numbers because most are a waste of time and you end up getting transferred to other departments.
post #783 of 801 Old 05-04-2020, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Understood. Is there a best number to call for this ? I know some of you must have had to go through this before. I stay away from calling general 1-800 numbers because most are a waste of time and you end up getting transferred to other departments.
I doubt the UK number would work for you(?), so try searching Sony Prime Support. This is the warranty arm for Sony Pro products.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."

Last edited by Archibald1; 05-04-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 801 Old 05-04-2020, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Try the bottom of this page:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...rs/vpl-vw695es

post #785 of 801 Old 05-04-2020, 10:12 AM
DAK

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Am I missing something here ? I don't want to start a war but could it be that I prefer jvc over Sony ? I have 3 projectors here (2 of which are mine ) and right now the jvc is really blowing me away. Any thoughts on my comments about the 695?
I have not seen anything like what you describe, nor any reports of anything similar on other forums. Any 3-chip or 3-panel device will have some alignment that will need to be done, but this is a simple task that can be addressed using the alignment menu (remember, you align blue/red to green, so if you are seeing green then the alignment is way off). As far as the other symptoms you describe (especially headaches), it sounds like the refresh rate is low enough that it is causing flickering. Set "Input Lag Reduction" to "Off", "Clear White" to "Off", and "MotionFlow" to "Smooth Low" and see what happens. Wouldn't hurt to do a factory reset either, as you don't know what the previous owner did to it.
post #786 of 801 Old 05-08-2020, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7475 Post(s)
Liked: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
I really enjoyed the 695. While it is similar to the predecessor VW675, the VW695 is better; it has the X1 processor where the 675 does not. So with the 695, you're getting more for less.
You have a JVC now right? How did those compare?
post #787 of 801 Old 05-08-2020, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 13759 Post(s)
Liked: 11408
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
He sold the 695, got the BenQ 9060. Replaced the 9060 with an NX7. Then replaced the NX7 with an older 3-chip DLP.
post #788 of 801 Old 05-08-2020, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
He sold the 695, got the BenQ 9060. Replaced the 9060 with an NX7. Then replaced the NX7 with an older 3-chip DLP.
Why?
post #789 of 801 Old 05-08-2020, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2963 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Hi, Chris. They were pretty close, actually. But I preferred the JVC NX7.

Perceived motion in "True Cinema" was great on the Sony 695, and that's a big deal to me sharpness-wise 'cause I'm not always watching still images, of course. And I liked it better than the native motion I was getting from my NX7. However, blacks looked inkier, low lamp looked brighter, and the imaged looked a tad cleaner on my NX7.

I'm sorry guys; I can only call them as I, myself, have seen them.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #790 of 801 Old 05-08-2020, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Have you got a minute? I'll tell ya a little story.

So...what's even funnier is the relatively short span of time that I went through owning the two other projectors before I got what I have now. Maybe I've been a bit picky display devices, but truth be told, I could have stayed with any one of those projectors.

Recall, I actually had an NX9 on pre-order and got the 695 as hold-over purchase due to the JVC launch delay. I was happy to discover the 695 threw such a nice picture. The store demo was good too but I had the time try it with more and different content.

Anyway, I began reading how good/how much of a value the NX7 was. It was finally in stock from the authorized seller, so I purchased it. For those who are curious, I can tell you it puts out a fantastic image, as does the 695.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #791 of 801 Old 05-08-2020, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Why?
Why do any of us change projectors? I guess we find something we like.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #792 of 801 Old 05-08-2020, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 13759 Post(s)
Liked: 11408
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Have you got a minute? I'll tell ya a little story.

So...what's even funnier is the relatively short span of time that I went through owning the two other projectors before I got what I have now. Maybe I've been a bit picky display devices, but truth be told, I could have stayed with any one of those projectors.

Recall, I actually had an NX9 on pre-order and got the 695 as hold-over purchase due to the JVC launch delay. I was happy to discover the 695 threw such a nice picture. The store demo was good too but I had the time try it with more and different content.

Anyway, I began reading how good/how much of a value the NX7 was. It was finally in stock from the authorized seller, so I purchased it. For those who are curious, I can tell you it puts out a fantastic image, as does the 695.
These days, you are not going to find a bad projector in the above 3k price point. Some are better than others at certain things, but all of them are pretty good.
post #793 of 801 Old 05-09-2020, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Why do any of us change projectors? I guess we find something we like.
True, but I thought you might go through them as a reviewer. Also, what did you finally settle on that was, to your taste, better than the 695ES and NX7? I'm deciding between the 2. I have the 300ES and before that the JVC RS55. I really like the Sony pop, and wouldn't want to sacrifice sharpness.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #794 of 801 Old 05-09-2020, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
True, but I thought you might go through them as a reviewer. Also, what did you finally settle on that was, to your taste, better than the 695ES and NX7? I'm deciding between the 2. I have the 300ES and before that the JVC RS55. I really like the Sony pop, and wouldn't want to sacrifice sharpness.
Okay, the question you have to ask yourself is what is important in a display image to you? Now, the way I see it, the image must objectively meet threshold requirements in the color, on/off, motion, brightness, ANSI, and sharpness departments. Once the threshold is met, then subjectivity enters the equation.

For me, I wanted something that had no obvious deficiencies in any of those important areas and had a glossy look and a pervasive natural feel to its images. I wound up staying with a high-end, three chip DLP that was discontinued in 2014.

As far as your choices, the images from both the Sony 695 and the JVC NX7, going by memory, are both wonderful and very close to each other. I did prefer the motion of the 695 in its True Cinema mode but overall preferred the NX7 mostly due to its better appearance of blacks and with my samples, my observation was that the NX7's images looked a tad cleaner.
cdnscg and Archibald1 like this.
post #795 of 801 Old 05-19-2020, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I picked up this PJ in mid March and I've been very happy with it. I love the picture, motion, and colors. It could be a bit brighter but its not a big deal so far.

Anyway, last week I started to hear the PJ click like 3 times every once in a while. And then it started clicking more and more. I noticed it would click when the scene went from light to dark. I tried different movies, games, and shows and it was the same result. Now everytime the scene goes dark the projector clicks 6 times and I can see what looks like the iris bouncing with the clicks. So I turned off the dynamic iris and the clicking stops during playback and only clicks when changing sources or disc. Obviously this sucks because my picture isn't as good without dynamic iris on.

Any suggestions?

-PSN ID: M-Easy
-XBOX360 GT: m easy021
-"LIKE THE GREAT WARRIOR POET ICE CUBE ONCE SAID: IF THE DAY DOES NOT REQUIRE AN AK, IT IS A GOOD ONE!" -Corporal Josh Ray Person, Generation Kill.
post #796 of 801 Old 05-20-2020, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Apologies if I've missed somewhere in the previous pages the answer to my question:

Does the 695ES offer dynamic HDR tone mapping like the N7 with its update? I can't tell if it was always on the 695 or has been added as an update?

Lastly, would you go for the N7 or 695?

Thank you.
post #797 of 801 Old 05-20-2020, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredsElbow View Post
Apologies if I've missed somewhere in the previous pages the answer to my question:

Does the 695ES offer dynamic HDR tone mapping like the N7 with its update? I can't tell if it was always on the 695 or has been added as an update?

Lastly, would you go for the N7 or 695?

Thank you.
I am not aware of any recent update to the 695 regarding tone mapping. I think it has a basic tone mapping algorithm, but it doesn't do auto tone mapping like the JVC. I use a Panasonic DP-UB820 for watching 4k discs as it does a pretty good job tone mapping and the resulting picture is really good on the 695.
Archibald1 and FredsElbow like this.
post #798 of 801 Old 05-20-2020, 06:14 AM
DAK

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by immikeulate View Post
Anyway, last week I started to hear the PJ click like 3 times every once in a while. And then it started clicking more and more. I noticed it would click when the scene went from light to dark. I tried different movies, games, and shows and it was the same result. Now everytime the scene goes dark the projector clicks 6 times and I can see what looks like the iris bouncing with the clicks. So I turned off the dynamic iris and the clicking stops during playback and only clicks when changing sources or disc. Obviously this sucks because my picture isn't as good without dynamic iris on.

Any suggestions?
Yes, exchange it for a replacement ASAP. Sounds like the iris is broken.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #799 of 801 Old 05-20-2020, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by immikeulate View Post
I picked up this PJ in mid March and I've been very happy with it. I love the picture, motion, and colors. It could be a bit brighter but its not a big deal so far.

Any suggestions?
As @DAK suggests, it will probably need a replacement lens to solve this properly.
However, sometimes they can just stick for a while and then it stops again.

First thing to try is to disconnect the unit for 30 minutes (and press the power button a few times once disconnected to make sure any capacitors are depleted) then plug back in and see what transpires.

If that doesn't work and you are willing****, you can try using the iris on manual and close it down as much as possible.
Then open it up as much as possible. If you just hold the control on the remote the iris should smoothly transition from closed to open and vice versa. Of note here is it will never *fully* close there will always be a small opening.

You can also try, closing the iris right down manually and then switch the machine off and it should do the normal shutdown iris reset procedure (where it closes down the iris fully and then fully reopens it) when you switch off.
The normal start up and shutdown should initiate the iris self test as the PJ starts (close down and the reopen) and when you switch off (close down for a little longer, then fully reopen).

If it clicks whilst doing any of that, then I am afraid it will need replacing.

Contact Sony Prime Support.

It is not a huge job, so once they have the part/s it won't take longer than a day to turn around on the bench.

Apparently there is a newer version of the lens/iris that prevents recurrence of this issue so worth doing if it happens to you.

Let us know how it goes.

**** I say 'if you are willing' as there is a small chance that the iris will stay in its most closed position and then you will be left with a darker image until it is repaired. However, if you have got it booked in for repair anyway, then you have not a lot to lose (depending on the timescale of said repair of course).

Last edited by Archibald1; 05-20-2020 at 07:56 AM.
post #800 of 801 Old 05-23-2020, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 39
If you decide on a repair United Radio in New York is the place to send it. They do all the repairs for Sony. Don't ask me how I know.
post #801 of 801 Old 05-23-2020, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensmith48 View Post
If you decide on a repair United Radio in New York is the place to send it. They do all the repairs for Sony. Don't ask me how I know.
Well, you know what everyone will say now don't you ………….

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page