AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   Official Sony VPL-VW695ES Owners Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/3020036-official-sony-vpl-vw695es-owners-thread.html)

kaotikr1 10-27-2018 10:27 AM

Official Sony VPL-VW695ES Owners Thread
 
2 Attachment(s)
Received a 695ES earlier this week and have it mounted and operational.

Initial Impressions

I would say this is exactly what you would expect if you have owned a previous 4K Sony projector. It has the same attributes of those models with improvements that finally bring the package together. It's nice not to have to worry about banding with 4K/60/HDR and to have the option to use MotionFlow on 4K Sources. I have only checked out a few games and am now watching some college football and I don't have any complaints. If something catches my eye I will update this thread with any new impressions.

Manufature Links
Sony VPL-VW695ES
Statup Guide

Improvements

Full 4K/60/HDR Support
Improved Motion Flow
Improved Lens function for lens memory and adjustment.
Improved input lag (21-27ms)
Improved Reality Creation

Reviews

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57994116
https://www.avforums.com/review/sony...s-review.15527
http://cine4home.de/sony-vpl-vw270-v...serienschnitt/
http://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blog...is-de-gregory/
https://hometheaterreview.com/sony-v...ctor-reviewed/

Video Reviews



Sources

Lumagen Pro
Anthem AVM60
Kalediscape Strato
HTPC 2080ti
Oppo 203
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro

DJR662 10-27-2018 11:31 AM

Nice.

I was thinking of getting this but ultimately decided not to.

Looking forward in reading user reviews and observations.

circumstances 10-27-2018 04:11 PM

Congratulations! I'm envious. I'm still rocking my VW80! (but looking to jump into 4K)

Javs 10-27-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaotikr1 (Post 57022624)
Received a 695ES earlier this week and have it mounted and operational.

Didnt you have an 885ES?

How come you got this one?

Hows the lens sample you got?

JeffR1 10-27-2018 06:03 PM

I demoed a production 695es today regarding the smooth motion and the Sony rep said, "there was no improvements made to the algorithm other then it now works with 4K sources".
And I can concur with this, I had 3 Blu-ray's in hand with some difficult passages for FI and the artifacts that were generated were the same as my 300es.
If someone wants to know what discs they were and at what times, I will post that, just quote this post.

As far as picture quality, brightness and contrast, it wasn't night and day to my 300es, certainly not 13,000.00$ worth.
AVU was useing a 1.3 gain screen in a very small room, about 12 x 12, so it was too bright, I think the screen should have been 1to1, or even .9 to 1, the same as mine.

As far as contrast, it wasn't a mind blowing differnce to my 300es, as always I would have to have a side by side comparison to see the difference when viewing a movie and in this case, it was "Ant-man/Wasp" in UHD.
The fact that the room was so small and the screen had too much gain made a poor demo for contrast even though the room was totaly light controlled with dark brown walls.

Picture quality, detail, colour, and sharpness were all very similar to my 300es, and again, in order to see any difference, a side by side comparison would gave to be done with some serious pixel peeping.

markmon1 10-27-2018 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaotikr1 (Post 57022624)
Received a 695ES earlier this week and have it mounted and operational.


Improved input lag (21-27ms)
Improved Reality Creation

How's the new reality creation do with 4K games?

kaotikr1 10-27-2018 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javs (Post 57024150)
Didnt you have an 885ES?

How come you got this one?

Hows the lens sample you got?

Yes I did, I actually sold that quite a while ago to pursue expanding my room and at the time was looking to go with maybe an RS4500 or Sony 5000. We ended up having to rework a quarter of our basement due to some water damage and that was quite expensive. So the room remodel was nixed for the foreseeable future.

I got this model because I wanted something with low input lag and checked all the other boxes for me at this time. I know what I am likely giving up against the new JVCs but I still think this Sony throws a great picture.

Lens sample is excellent. I think I got a great sample which I am happy about.

kaotikr1 10-27-2018 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markmon1 (Post 57024504)
How's the new reality creation do with 4K games?

It's excellent! It's been a number of months since I had a 385ES in the room so I can't recall from memory how that looked, but this is looking excellent so far.

obstler 11-07-2018 04:06 AM

I've got the European equivalent VW570 (why does Sony still name them different in parts of the world?), and it is a great projector.


However, I feel the picture in HDR10 4k is a bit too dark -- or more exactly dark details are not visible. In non-HDR modes this can be changed by the Gamma setting, but in HDR more there is no Gamma setting available.


Has anyone figured out a way to get more details in the dark in HDR10 mode by changing settings? Which settings and how?


thanks!

DJR662 11-07-2018 05:42 AM

Any word perhaps on how the HDR reference mode works? Also when compared to using Panasonic's HDR optimizer?

Cleveland Plasma 11-07-2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffR1 (Post 57024426)

As far as picture quality, brightness and contrast, it wasn't night and day to my 300es, certainly not 13,000.00$ worth.
AVU was useing a 1.3 gain screen in a very small room, about 12 x 12, so it was too bright, I think the screen should have been 1to1, or even .9 to 1, the same as mine.

That's alot of coin in Canada......

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaotikr1 (Post 57022624)
Received a 695ES earlier this week and have it mounted and operational.

I would say this is exactly what you would expect if you have owned a previous 4K Sony projector. It has the same attributes of those models with improvements that finally bring the package together. It's nice not to have to worry about banding with 4K/60/HDR and to have the option to use MotionFlow on 4K Sources. I have only checked out a few games and am now watching some college football and I don't have any complaints. If something catches my eye I will update this thread with any new impressions.

Glad you are liking it...What did you do with the 385ES?

Archibald1 11-07-2018 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obstler (Post 57072688)
I've got the European equivalent VW570 (why does Sony still name them different in parts of the world?), and it is a great projector.


However, I feel the picture in HDR10 4k is a bit too dark -- or more exactly dark details are not visible. In non-HDR modes this can be changed by the Gamma setting, but in HDR more there is no Gamma setting available.


Has anyone figured out a way to get more details in the dark in HDR10 mode by changing settings? Which settings and how?


thanks!

That, I believe, is what the HDR Contrast slider is for. 100 makes the whole picture brighter and 0 makes it a lot darker.

Certain values pertain to certain mastering NIT levels. I think 70 was the setting for 1000nit masters but I am not sure.

Have a play with it and see what difference it makes.

Also make sure HDMI signal format is set to 'Enhanced' and Dynamic Range is set to 'Limited'.

kaotikr1 11-08-2018 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 57072928)
Any word perhaps on how the HDR reference mode works? Also when compared to using Panasonic's HDR optimizer?

I don't have an answer on this one because I use a Lumagen Pro for Tone Mapping.

DJR662 11-08-2018 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaotikr1 (Post 57078280)
I don't have an answer on this one because I use a Lumagen Pro for Tone Mapping.

Alright. :)

Since you also happen to have owned the 385ES (which I currently own), how do they compare in your opinion? The obvious and most important differences for me personally would be more lumens and no more banding during 4K/HDR @ 60hz. But other than that, would you say there is a big difference?

kaotikr1 11-08-2018 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR662 (Post 57078530)
Alright. :)

Since you also happen to have owned the 385ES (which I currently own), how do they compare in your opinion? The obvious and most important differences for me personally would be more lumens and no more banding during 4K/HDR @ 60hz. But other than that, would you say there is a big difference?

No big differences. I would say reality creation seems a bit more detailed. Input lag in 4K has been reduced to 21ms-27ms depending on if you believe JVC or Sony. If you enjoy the picture your 385ES throws then I think you would be more than happy with a 695ES.

Aztar35 11-08-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaotikr1 (Post 57078548)
No big differences. I would say reality creation seems a bit more detailed. Input lag in 4K has been reduced to 21ms-27ms depending on if you believe JVC or Sony. If you enjoy the picture your 385ES throws then I think you would be more than happy with a 695ES.

You have a PM.

Kris Deering 11-08-2018 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archibald1 (Post 57074356)
That, I believe, is what the HDR Contrast slider is for. 100 makes the whole picture brighter and 0 makes it a lot darker.

Certain values pertain to certain mastering NIT levels. I think 70 was the setting for 1000nit masters but I am not sure.

Have a play with it and see what difference it makes.

Also make sure HDMI signal format is set to 'Enhanced' and Dynamic Range is set to 'Limited'.

I talked with the Sony engineers about this before CEDIA. The issue they have (and pretty much all the other PJ manufacturers) is that they setup the contrast adjustment to center around what nit value you are trying to tone map to. So 1000 nits, 2000 nits, 4000 nits, etc. But they don't have anything that provides an input to the projector on what your actual peak brightness level is with your setup. So these tone maps are all generica to a peak white value that we don't know and probably isn't anywhere near yours. From what I've been told, Sony sets their tone map by zooming the image to the size of their flat panel (which thereby creates a VERY high peak brightness level) and then adjusts their tone map to PQ and then assumes that it will stay linear for larger screens. That does not work. They need to have a tone map adjustment that centers on a peak value and then an adjustment for telling the projector how bright it is for that tone map. This is what you see with the Panasonic UB820 and the Radiance Pro and so far it looks like the new JVC models will do something similar.

I'm hoping I got through to the Sony engineers on this, but it is hard to say. If I do a review of one of the new projectors I will definitely bring it up in hopes that it can be added later or in future models.

obstler 11-08-2018 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archibald1 (Post 57074356)
That, I believe, is what the HDR Contrast slider is for. 100 makes the whole picture brighter and 0 makes it a lot darker.

Certain values pertain to certain mastering NIT levels. I think 70 was the setting for 1000nit masters but I am not sure.

Have a play with it and see what difference it makes.

Also make sure HDMI signal format is set to 'Enhanced' and Dynamic Range is set to 'Limited'.


I've changed the HDR contrast slider to 70 instead of the default 60, but it barely makes a difference. The other settings were set as you specified already.


Unfortunately all dark detail is still completely lost. The picture is bright enough, colors are great, contrast (except for the darker parts) is also good -- just all low brightness detail is lost.In Germany there are some dealers that provide adjustments in the service menu to address that issue, but I haven't been able to get any more details on how exactly the do that, so I'm still hoping for some knowledgeable users to figure out a way to change the gamma/low light detail for HDR...

Frohlich 11-09-2018 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obstler (Post 57081646)
I've changed the HDR contrast slider to 70 instead of the default 60, but it barely makes a difference. The other settings were set as you specified already.


Unfortunately all dark detail is still completely lost. The picture is bright enough, colors are great, contrast (except for the darker parts) is also good -- just all low brightness detail is lost.In Germany there are some dealers that provide adjustments in the service menu to address that issue, but I haven't been able to get any more details on how exactly the do that, so I'm still hoping for some knowledgeable users to figure out a way to change the gamma/low light detail for HDR...

You can load custom HDR curves in the Sony (just like in the JVC). There are instructions in the Sony 385 thread if you look for it. A much simpler solution is to buy the Panasonic blu ray player with the HDR optimizer that does auto tone mapping (in the U.S. the model number is Panasonic 820 but in Europe it probably is something slightly different).

BTW, I love Austria. So beautiful. Both my parents were born there and I have gone back several times on vacation. I was born in Belgium but grew up after age 7 here in the U.S.

Archibald1 11-09-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obstler (Post 57081646)
I've changed the HDR contrast slider to 70 instead of the default 60, but it barely makes a difference. The other settings were set as you specified already.


Unfortunately all dark detail is still completely lost. The picture is bright enough, colors are great, contrast (except for the darker parts) is also good -- just all low brightness detail is lost.In Germany there are some dealers that provide adjustments in the service menu to address that issue, but I haven't been able to get any more details on how exactly the do that, so I'm still hoping for some knowledgeable users to figure out a way to change the gamma/low light detail for HDR...

Hi.
Also, make sure you are on high bulb for HDR, as any less is not going to give enough brightness to do it proper justice.

Using custom curves can allow use of low bulb but as HDR is supposed to use more colour and brightness then ideally you want as much of the latter as you can get without compromising the picture too much...... Which, with projectors of course, you will ultimately have to do a lot of! ;)

Candle 11-09-2018 09:38 AM

Congrats with your VW695.
Will the German Gamma Curves of the 385 work on this 695?

obstler 11-12-2018 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candle (Post 57083618)
Congrats with your VW695.
Will the German Gamma Curves of the 385 work on this 695?


I just tried it and it works.


Does make a difference for dark detail, but there are some drawbacks, too. I think brighter scenes are overexposed in some colors, like too much red in skin tones (faces), but might be able to tweak some of that. And then there's the fact that you have to manually switch modes all the time for HDR/non-HDR content, so it's not ideal either.


I've read about the Panasonic player, but need a solution for non-disc media/streaming. Maybe HTPC with madVR and on the fly custom tone mapping would work...

Candle 11-13-2018 12:44 AM

I think we need to stop comparing the former versions with the new Sony's, because things do work really different
I've seen the VW695 at my friends house.
German gamma curves are not nbeccesary anymore.
With the VW395 the blacks where crushed because it stayed on SDR level and it was impossible to raise this for HDR.
Now at the VW695 you can easily raise Black level from SDR to HDR by setting Brightness at 57.
With the HDMI dynamic range still on Limited
So Sony did take a serious look at HDR this time.
It also works fully automatic this way, going from SDR to HSR.

SpykeSIK 11-13-2018 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obstler (Post 57099932)
I've read about the Panasonic player, but need a solution for non-disc media/streaming. Maybe HTPC with madVR and on the fly custom tone mapping would work...

I'm looking for the same...

Candle 11-13-2018 04:31 AM

We were playing with the sharpness and reallity creation, but we're not sure what settings to use.
When you look at it too long, every setting looks the same.
Some put sharpening on 0 and RC very low.
Not sure about that, but the default setting are very high.
What do the professionals think?

Archibald1 11-13-2018 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obstler (Post 57099932)
I just tried it and it works.


Does make a difference for dark detail, but there are some drawbacks, too. I think brighter scenes are overexposed in some colors, like too much red in skin tones (faces), but might be able to tweak some of that. And then there's the fact that you have to manually switch modes all the time for HDR/non-HDR content, so it's not ideal either.


I've read about the Panasonic player, but need a solution for non-disc media/streaming. Maybe HTPC with madVR and on the fly custom tone mapping would work...

Hi.
Make sure you change the colours as recommended for the German curves as it makes the whole package.

Also the UB820 HDR optimser works for discs AND the internal streaming apps too. So if you get one and use the internal apps, then you will be okay. :)

Archibald1 11-13-2018 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candle (Post 57100094)
I think we need to stop comparing the former versions with the new Sony's, because things do work really different
I've seen the VW695 at my friends house.
German gamma curves are not nbeccesary anymore.
With the VW395 the blacks where crushed because it stayed on SDR level and it was impossible to raise this for HDR.
Now at the VW695 you can easily raise Black level from SDR to HDR by setting Brightness at 57.
With the HDMI dynamic range still on Limited
So Sony did take a serious look at HDR this time.
It also works fully automatic this way, going from SDR to HSR.

Indeed! The better processing has changing the relevant settings so much, that the settings used on the outgoing units cannot really be used for comparison on these new units. Especially in HDR.

kaotikr1 11-13-2018 01:37 PM

I was able to check out BF5 running on my HTPC. It looks awesome at 4K60. I am not sure if one can really tell a 10-15ms reduction in input lag, but playing with the M/KB felt extremely responsive and I feel like it felt quicker but it could just be me knowing it is quicker than the JVC I had.

timarmstrong 11-13-2018 08:06 PM

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum. I purchased a 665es a few months back for my DIY home theater project. I've just gotten around to firing it up, and while it is delivering a gorgeous picture, the Power/Stanby light and warning light are not coming on. This was a "damaged box" unit that I was told was returned to Sony and recertified before being sold. Is there a setting that may have disabled these indicators, or am I just doing something wrong? Or, should I contact the dealer or Sony for a warranty repair? Thanks in advance for your help.

Tim

timarmstrong 11-13-2018 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timarmstrong (Post 57104984)
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum. I purchased a 665es a few months back for my DIY home theater project. I've just gotten around to firing it up, and while it is delivering a gorgeous picture, the Power/Stanby light and warning light are not coming on. This was a "damaged box" unit that I was told was returned to Sony and recertified before being sold. Is there a setting that may have disabled these indicators, or am I just doing something wrong? Or, should I contact the dealer or Sony for a warranty repair? Thanks in advance for your help.

Tim

Also, I am feeding the 665es with an Apple TV 4K. Is there any way to get it to recognize the HDR signal from the Apple TV?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.