JVC DLA-X590R Projector vs Cinera HMD (Or Alternatives) Questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dan webster

post #1 of 15 Old 11-03-2018, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
JVC DLA-X590R Projector vs Cinera HMD (Or Alternatives) Questions

Hi all,

I was planning on getting another projector, since the Optoma GT750E projector I was using died last year. I did some research, and it seems like the top choice for projectors when balancing quality versus cost may be the JVC DLA-X590R. One thing about the Optoma GT750E that bothered me was the screen door effect due to its resolution, so although the JVC DLA-X590R is very expensive, I feel like I may be willing to spend the money on a projector like that, since I want to use the projector for all kinds of things like replacing my computer monitor for general computing use, movies, shows, and other videos, and potentially even video games (possibly in 3D).

I also just came across the Cinera HMD, which seems to currently be the best HMD, and it's significantly cheaper than the JVC DLA-X590R projector. However, since I plan to use the display device I get as a general replacement for my computer's screen, which I spend time with several hours a day usually, I don't know if an HMD like that is the best choice. And I wonder about periodically having the adjust the HMD's desk arm mount over time if I need to move, etc. I also would have to have the HMD attached to my face to use the display, and wouldn't be able to move around and use the display like I could with a projector, etc. There is the FPV Head Mount Cinera sells, but I don't know if I'd want to deal with that for extended use. My understanding is the Cinera HMD is heavy, since the company didn't want to skimp on video quality. I also read the Cinera HMD isn't the best choice for gaming due to motion blur or something, although I don't know if I will play games. I have been curious about Red Dead Redemption 2 though, since I liked the first one so much back in the day.

But on the other hand, the HMD wouldn't need to have its bulb replaced periodically, is significantly cheaper, and wouldn't need a screen. I'm not sure how long I'll be in my current space, so I don't want to have to buy more than one screen if I end up moving and need a bigger screen. But I can probably figure something out, like getting an inexpensive portable screen, or cheap screen alternative, etc. I also don't have my current room blacked out for a projector, but I suppose I could go to the thrift store, and get some cheap curtains to help dampen the light in my room, if need be.

Anyway, thoughts on choosing between what seems to be the best HMD currently out there, versus this expensive JVC DLA-X590R projector for my specific purposes? And any other hardware suggestions besides the Cinera HMD, and JVC DLA-X590R projector?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-03-2018, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4627 Post(s)
Liked: 2933
These are two completely different devices. One requires a light controlled room and is your display allowing you to see other things in the room. The other requires having a somewhat uncomfortable device strapped to your head and makes it impossible to see other things in the room including a keyboard on your lap etc. I don't even think much a comparison is possible they're just way different. Decide which useage model you're interested in and the decision is made for you.

Not sure what the x590r is going for, but JVC lowered its price on the RS540/x790r to $3999 msrp, which can now be had for way lower. It's probably the way to go if you go projector.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-03-2018, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Apples and parsley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-03-2018, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

I probably will get a projector. Regarding the X590R versus the X790R, a place called HD Vision Max is selling the X590R for $2,799, and the X790R for $4,149. I'm assuming the retailer is legit, and that price difference is significant.

How is the X790R that much better than the X590R? And what company is selling the X790R for $3,999?

Also, when would be the best time to buy a projector? During the Black Friday Sale, or after New Year's Day?
post #5 of 15 Old 11-03-2018, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H. View Post
I probably will get a projector. Regarding the X590R versus the X790R, a place called HD Vision Max is selling the X590R for $2,799, and the X790R for $4,149. I'm assuming the retailer is legit, and that price difference is significant.

How is the X790R that much better than the X590R? And what company is selling the X790R for $3,999?

Also, when would be the best time to buy a projector? During the Black Friday Sale, or after New Year's Day?
The MSRP on the x790R is now $3999 so $4149 is over charging you. Contact Cleveland plasma or mike at avscience. Those guys will both give you a much better deal.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-03-2018, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the dealer suggestions.

Has anybody compared the X590R and X790R side by side? Is the X790R really worth the price difference? And if so, why?
post #7 of 15 Old 11-03-2018, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I own a jvc 590 and it is a decent 1080p pj.

JVC vs JVC
post #8 of 15 Old 11-03-2018, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the dealer suggestions.

Has anybody compared the X590R and X790R side by side? Is the X790R really worth the price difference? And if so, why?
The x590r is a fine projector. The x790r is definitely a step up though. All I am suggesting is you call those dealers to get a real price.

post #9 of 15 Old 11-04-2018, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Tico, thanks for the link. I remember seeing that article, and I just read the whole thing. When you say "decent", is there a projector out there, or one that will be launching, that you think is a better value "performance versus cost wise" than the JVC X590R?

Regarding the article, I thought this sentence was the main takeaway for me, "And there’s much to be said for the less expensive model when it offers performance within a hair of a projector that costs 50 percent more." The article also stated the brightness of the X590R was higher than the brightness of the X790R. And, "Interestingly, however, the X590R’s HDR color profile was very close to P3— far closer than the X790R’s HDR color profile. Go figure." Although there were other areas that the X790R was better in, seemingly slightly.

I'm leaning towards going for the X590R, unless the X790R really is that much better, and worth spending that much more money on. Anybody have additional thoughts on the differences between these two, that weren't mentioned in the article? Or an opinion that differs from the author's, on how much better the X790R is?

Also, when will the next JVC projectors be coming out? If it's within a reasonable timeframe, maybe I should wait till after that happens, and score a really good deal on a projector like the X590R.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-04-2018, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Call Mike at avscience Ask him about b stock jvc projectors.
Mike Garrett likes this.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 YamahaCX-A5200 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS520 projector
silver ticket 125 2.35 screen Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R
super center XXL triton 7's sides Martin logan motion 12 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub Outlaw LFM-1-plus sub
post #11 of 15 Old 11-05-2018, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4483 Post(s)
Liked: 1678
Quote:
"Interestingly, however, the X590R’s HDR color profile was very close to P3— far closer than the X790R’s HDR color profile. Go figure."
This statement in isolation can be very misleading for those not familiar with the x790. The x790 has a BT.2020 colour profile that’s closer to P3 than its HDR colour profile; the x590 has only the HDR colour profile.

The current price difference is way less than the “50%” mentioned at the time of the reviews.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 11-05-2018 at 07:00 AM.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-05-2018, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I'll make some dealer calls, probably tomorrow.

If anybody has any further input, please post.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-05-2018, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6612 Post(s)
Liked: 7674
Quote:
Thanks for the input. I'll make some dealer calls, probably tomorrow.

If anybody has any further input, please post.
Just FYI - the X590 / RS440 is discontinued, and JVC has been out of them for a few weeks.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-05-2018, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11806 Post(s)
Liked: 9344
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Hi all,

I was planning on getting another projector, since the Optoma GT750E projector I was using died last year. I did some research, and it seems like the top choice for projectors when balancing quality versus cost may be the JVC DLA-X590R. One thing about the Optoma GT750E that bothered me was the screen door effect due to its resolution, so although the JVC DLA-X590R is very expensive, I feel like I may be willing to spend the money on a projector like that, since I want to use the projector for all kinds of things like replacing my computer monitor for general computing use, movies, shows, and other videos, and potentially even video games (possibly in 3D).

I also just came across the Cinera HMD, which seems to currently be the best HMD, and it's significantly cheaper than the JVC DLA-X590R projector. However, since I plan to use the display device I get as a general replacement for my computer's screen, which I spend time with several hours a day usually, I don't know if an HMD like that is the best choice. And I wonder about periodically having the adjust the HMD's desk arm mount over time if I need to move, etc. I also would have to have the HMD attached to my face to use the display, and wouldn't be able to move around and use the display like I could with a projector, etc. There is the FPV Head Mount Cinera sells, but I don't know if I'd want to deal with that for extended use. My understanding is the Cinera HMD is heavy, since the company didn't want to skimp on video quality. I also read the Cinera HMD isn't the best choice for gaming due to motion blur or something, although I don't know if I will play games. I have been curious about Red Dead Redemption 2 though, since I liked the first one so much back in the day.

But on the other hand, the HMD wouldn't need to have its bulb replaced periodically, is significantly cheaper, and wouldn't need a screen. I'm not sure how long I'll be in my current space, so I don't want to have to buy more than one screen if I end up moving and need a bigger screen. But I can probably figure something out, like getting an inexpensive portable screen, or cheap screen alternative, etc. I also don't have my current room blacked out for a projector, but I suppose I could go to the thrift store, and get some cheap curtains to help dampen the light in my room, if need be.

Anyway, thoughts on choosing between what seems to be the best HMD currently out there, versus this expensive JVC DLA-X590R projector for my specific purposes? And any other hardware suggestions besides the Cinera HMD, and JVC DLA-X590R projector?

Thanks.
I think the Cinera HMD is a terrible idea. For what you are wanting to do.
post #15 of 15 Old 11-06-2018, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

So I did place an order today with Mike from AV Science, who provided excellent customer service by the way, for a b-stock X590R, although they're currently waiting on the stock to arrive.

However, another dealer I emailed just contacted me, and told me he'd be willing to sell me a new RS440K (equivalent to X590R, but with a better resale value?) for $600 more.

I know that AV Science runs tests on their b-stock projectors before they are shipped out, and the lamp quality isn't really something to worry about, but how much more desirable would a new projector be in this case, at a price of $600 more? One thing that is of concern to me is the warranty length. The b-stock unit has a 1 year warranty which is extended to 2 years by my credit card company. A new projector has a 3 year warranty, from what I understand, which would be extended an extra year to 4 years total by my credit card benefit, so double the warranty length.

Thoughts on which is the better choice? Would it be better to save $600 and put that money towards a new and better projector if the b-stock unit dies after 2 years and it's not worth it to fix it, or would it be better to pay $600 more for a new unit with a 4 year warranty?

Or has anybody bought a warranty extension from a 3rd party provider? Would something like that be worth it in this case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page