Extended Warranty Options for B-Stock JVC DLA-X590R? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike Garrett
  • 1 Post By ack_bk
  • 1 Post By noah katz
  • 1 Post By Viper359

post #1 of 20 Old 11-07-2018, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Extended Warranty Options for B-Stock JVC DLA-X590R?

Hi all,

I have a b-stock JVC DLA-X590R purchased from AV Science on the way. I'm considering purchasing an extended warranty for the projector itself, and maybe also a bulb extended warranty.

The b-stock units only come with a 1 year warranty, but due to my credit card company's warranty extension benefit, I should have an extra year of warranty coverage for a total of 2 years worth of coverage.

Chris with Cleveland Plasma quoted me an extended warranty on the projector (not including bulb replacements) for 4 extra years for $200. This would give me 6 years total of warranty coverage, but only on the projector itself. If I want bulb coverage, it would be 3 years worth of coverage, for up to 2 replacement bulbs, for an additional $150. So that would be $350 for both those extended warranties.

Bulbs from JVC are about $550 apiece. Are there any generic bulb companies that make quality bulbs that would work with a JVC X590R? Also, would using a generic bulb void the warranty?

I ran a search, and it seems like some users here are saying the Square Trade Extended Warranty purchased from Costco is a good deal. Would I be able to add a Costco Square Trade Warranty to this projector and/or bulb? Or is it only for products purchased at Costco? Edit: Costco Square Trade Policies are only for products purchased at Costco.

One poster did say, "WARNING!! you do not want a square trade warranty unless you never want to collect under it. They use any ruse to not pay on it." But the Costco representative I spoke to over the phone told me that in his mind they've had good success with Square Trade's Policies.

Any opinions on how good a Square Trade Extended Warranty is?

And any other suggestions for quality extended warranty companies for this projector and bulb?

Would it be worth it to purchase an extended warranty in the first place? As long as it's from a quality company, I'm thinking that maybe I should get an extended warranty. The Optoma GT750E that was my previous projector had its Optical Engine Module go bad, although that was fixed under warranty. Then the Color Wheel exploded out of warranty. I emailed Optoma and asked them how much it would cost to fix the projector, and I never even got a response.

Since the JVC X590R is much more expensive, and I want it to last as long as possible, I'm thinking it may be a good idea to get several years of warranty coverage on the projector and bulb, if the cost for the extended warranties is worth it.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited by David H.; 11-07-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-07-2018, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3555
I bet some of those warranties will overlap. Specifically your extended 1 year credit card warranty and the 4 year warranty.

Obviously odds are in the warranty vendors favor that they will make money and not have the consumer cash in on the warranty. That’s how they can stay in the business of selling warranties.

I don’t usually buy them for that reason, but then I don’t keep equipment a long time either typically. I don’t think JVC are prone to failure. I’d roll the dice on not buying the extended warranty if I were you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #3 of 20 Old 11-07-2018, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the thoughts. I have mixed feelings about getting the warranties. There are my experiences with my old Optoma projector failing, although I agree that the JVC will probably be more robust. And I may want to keep this projector for several years. A 3 year bulb warranty, and a 6 year projector warranty for $350 seems like a fair deal. But I'm going to shop around, and see if I can find better deals as well.

And good point about needing to check and see if the different warranties will overlap. Chris was telling me they wouldn't, but I should verify that with my credit card company.

The bulb warranty seems like it may be worthwhile, since I'm going to use the projector as a replacement for my computer's display, and I tend to use my computer for several hours daily. And the total amount of hours the projector would be used may be a reason to get both warranties.

I plan to use the X590R in "Low Mode", and my understanding is that in Low Mode the bulbs are rated to last 4,500 hours. If bulbs from JVC are $550, and I shouldn't get a generic bulb, then it seems like it would be worth it to spend $150 for a 3 year bulb warranty, but I'd have to know the fine print for any warranty.

Also, Chris said that the bulb warranty would only be valid for today, but I told him I'd need to test the projector first before buying any warranty, when it arrives in a week. He hasn't responded to that yet.

I guess I'll need to do research on all the companies that offer both projector and bulb warranties, and see which company is the top choice, or if there's one warranty company that's best for projectors, and another that's best for bulb warranties. Anybody have a list of all the extended warranty companies for projectors and/or bulbs?

And if anybody has personal experience with any of these warranty companies, or other thoughts, let me know.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 11-07-2018, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I wish i could buy an extended warranty here in canada from the B stock I just bought from AVS

Beamer: JVC RS420 || Screen: 120" SilverTicket 16:9 Frame || Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 7 || Center: Paradigm Monitor CC390 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Paradigm Monitor Bookshelf || Atmos Rear: Polk || AVR: Denon AVR S710 || Streamer: Nvidia Shield ||Control: Harmony Hub Ultimate ||Console: Xbox One X
post #5 of 20 Old 11-07-2018, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper359 View Post
I wish i could buy an extended warranty here in canada from the B stock I just bought from AVS

Surely there are extended warranty companies in Canada.
post #6 of 20 Old 11-08-2018, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I just bought a used x590 off ebay i wish i could buy a extended warranty or bulb warranty for it . if you plan on using the projector for a couple hours every day and are going to keep it for more than 2 years i would do it. 350$ for that long of a warranty on a expensive really good projector and a bulb warranty is great deal you aren't going to find a cheaper deal so i wouldnt waste my time.. dont bother with square trade crap. get a warranty from a jvc dealer. also ask chris if the extended warranty is transferable. that would be a huge bonus if decide to ever sell it.
post #7 of 20 Old 11-08-2018, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 131
why didnt you ask mike at av science about a extended warranty when you purchased the b stock from him
post #8 of 20 Old 11-08-2018, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11816 Post(s)
Liked: 9351
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by David H. View Post
Hi all,

I have a b-stock JVC DLA-X590R purchased from AV Science on the way. I'm considering purchasing an extended warranty for the projector itself, and maybe also a bulb extended warranty.

The b-stock units only come with a 1 year warranty, but due to my credit card company's warranty extension benefit, I should have an extra year of warranty coverage for a total of 2 years worth of coverage.

Chris with Cleveland Plasma quoted me an extended warranty on the projector (not including bulb replacements) for 4 extra years for $200. This would give me 6 years total of warranty coverage, but only on the projector itself. If I want bulb coverage, it would be 3 years worth of coverage, for up to 2 replacement bulbs, for an additional $150. So that would be $350 for both those extended warranties.

Bulbs from JVC are about $550 apiece. Are there any generic bulb companies that make quality bulbs that would work with a JVC X590R? Also, would using a generic bulb void the warranty?

I ran a search, and it seems like some users here are saying the Square Trade Extended Warranty purchased from Costco is a good deal. Would I be able to add a Costco Square Trade Warranty to this projector and/or bulb? Or is it only for products purchased at Costco? Edit: Costco Square Trade Policies are only for products purchased at Costco.

One poster did say, "WARNING!! you do not want a square trade warranty unless you never want to collect under it. They use any ruse to not pay on it." But the Costco representative I spoke to over the phone told me that in his mind they've had good success with Square Trade's Policies.

Any opinions on how good a Square Trade Extended Warranty is?

And any other suggestions for quality extended warranty companies for this projector and bulb?

Would it be worth it to purchase an extended warranty in the first place? As long as it's from a quality company, I'm thinking that maybe I should get an extended warranty. The Optoma GT750E that was my previous projector had its Optical Engine Module go bad, although that was fixed under warranty. Then the Color Wheel exploded out of warranty. I emailed Optoma and asked them how much it would cost to fix the projector, and I never even got a response.

Since the JVC X590R is much more expensive, and I want it to last as long as possible, I'm thinking it may be a good idea to get several years of warranty coverage on the projector and bulb, if the cost for the extended warranties is worth it.

Thoughts?

Thanks
You will need to confirm, but usually the warranties overlap. So if you purchase the 4 year warranty, that is the total you will get. The warranty takes affect in the first two years, only if the manufacturer and the credit card company do not take care of you. So in reality, you only get two additional years.
Archaea likes this.
post #9 of 20 Old 11-08-2018, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Couple things. I would make ask if the bulb warranty if for an OEM lamp housing, or an OEM bare bulb, or if they just provide generic lamp/bulbs.

Yes the JVC lamp housings are around $450-500 usually (OEM) but you can just replace the OEM bare bulb yourself for around $120-140. If the warranty is just providing generic non-OEM bulbs or lamps I would save your money as many of them may not be up to spec or prone to early dimming or failure.

How many hours do you plan on watching your projector a year? You should get close to 3K hours on an OEM bulb which for some folks can be many years. You just have to do the math and make sure the bulb warranty is legit. Something tells me a $150 bulb warranty that covers up to 2 bulbs may be generic non-OEM bulbs.
Archaea likes this.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-08-2018, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

I just sent Chris an email with several questions about the projector and bulb warranties. Thanks for the input.

I did ask Mike about extended warranties, but I'll have to search elsewhere for information on them.

How difficult is it to replace just the bulb, and not the whole housing on a JVC X590R? With the Optoma GT750E I just bought generic housing units and plugged them into the projector when I needed to replace the bulb. I'm guessing you need to wear gloves when handling the bulbs? And how would you know when the housing goes bad?

I plan to use the projector as my computer's display, and I spend several hours a day using the computer. I also plan to use the X590R in Low Mode, which should result in around a 4,500 hour bulb runtime, at least according to the specs. However, since the X590R and its bulbs are so much more expensive than the Optoma GT750E and its bulbs, maybe I should only use the projector for home theater and gaming stuff, and forego using it for browsing, etc. But I may not want to switch displays back and forth between my laptop's screen and the projector, so in that case maybe one or both of the warranties would be worth it.
post #11 of 20 Old 11-08-2018, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Thanks for reminding me about an extended warranty for my recently purchased X570.

I got one for my RS10 from Mack and they paid for a new lamp (old one had dimmed) no questions asked, so I'm going to check with them first.
David H. likes this.

Noah
post #12 of 20 Old 11-08-2018, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Thanks for reminding me about an extended warranty for my recently purchased X570.

I got one for my RS10 from Mack and they paid for a new lamp (old one had dimmed) no questions asked, so I'm going to check with them first.
In many cases a low-bright (but working) lamp will not be covered by an extended warranty and you'll want to replace this lamp before it fails.

Last edited by ferbal; 11-08-2018 at 10:07 AM.
post #13 of 20 Old 11-08-2018, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

I spoke with Alan, the sales manager for Mack, and got conflicting information between him and Chris. I'll need to call Alan again tomorrow due to that. I did some research and compiled a list of 3rd party extended warranty providers. Some of them I'll need to call tomorrow since they were closed.

Mack: http://www.mackcam.com/customer-service/contact-us/ - 3 year bulb warranty: $200; 4 year projector extended warranty: $140. Chris had the prices as $150 for the bulb warranty, and $200 for the projector extended warranty.

Projector People Gold Star Warranty (Under $2,500 Products - 4 years of coverage: $444.99): https://www.projectorpeople.com/acce...warranties.asp but it looks like only on products purchased through Projector People.

CPS (Consumer Priority Service): https://shop.installav.com/3-year-pr...nded-warranty/- 3 year bulb replacement: $249.99, but CPS warranties have to be sold by the retailer you purchased the product from.

Asurion: AV Science wasn't a retailer listed at their website: https://www.asurion.com/about/contact-us/

SquareTrade: https://www.squaretrade.com/tv-warranty - $349.99 for a 4 year plan, and they don't offer bulb replacement extended warranties.

Assurant: Open till 5 PM Eastern Time: https://www.assurant.com/partner-with-us/consumer-goods

Upsie: https://upsie.com - They don't warranty bulbs or projectors.

Securranty: https://www.securranty.com - The rep said they don't offer warranties on projectors.

ElectronicWarranty.com: The site seems to be down: https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/...icwarranty.com

iConnectProtect: https://www.iconnectprotect.com/promo - They don't cover projectors.

Protection Place: https://www.protectionplace.com/#/contact-us - Open to 4 PM Central Time.

Any other extended warranty companies to call? So far Mack is looking like the best choice, and they offer the bulb warranty too. I did buy a Mack extended warranty on a laptop I bought in 2003. If I remember correctly I think I did have to use the extended warranty, and they honored it.
post #14 of 20 Old 11-08-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Surely there are extended warranty companies in Canada.

Believe it or not, no. It's not a hugely popular thing here. Best Buy et sells them, but even then...

Also, my situation is a little different. I bought from @Mike G arret in the USA, shipped to Canada.

Beamer: JVC RS420 || Screen: 120" SilverTicket 16:9 Frame || Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 7 || Center: Paradigm Monitor CC390 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Paradigm Monitor Bookshelf || Atmos Rear: Polk || AVR: Denon AVR S710 || Streamer: Nvidia Shield ||Control: Harmony Hub Ultimate ||Console: Xbox One X
post #15 of 20 Old 11-08-2018, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Believe it or not, no. It's not a hugely popular thing here. Best Buy et sells them, but even then...

Also, my situation is a little different. I bought from @Mike G arret in the USA, shipped to Canada.

Is that Best Buy's "Geek Squad Protection"? And would I be correct in assuming that buying an extended warranty through Best Buy would be a nightmare, and that's why you're not going with that option?

Out of curiosity, is Best Buy the only extended warranty option in Canada?
post #16 of 20 Old 11-08-2018, 03:42 PM

I should have worded that better. Best buy only offers extended warranties on crap you buy in store and online. A few stores like them offer the same type of thing.

Online 3rd party warranty companies, outside of automotive, is rare to find in Canada. There might be the odd one, but usually, must buy said item at a retail partner of theirs.
David H. likes this.

post #17 of 20 Old 11-10-2018, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

It's looking like Mack is the best choice for projector and bulb extended warranties, provided the b-stock unit can be warrantied in the first place. Alan with Mack said I'd need to check the documentation in the box when it arrives, to see if the projector fits their requirements for being able to warranty it.

I read somebody say that extended warranty prices are negotiable. Thoughts on prices to start the negotiation at?

When I "Make Offers" on stuff sold with eBay, I usually go for 50% of the Listing Price, to try to get the best deal I can. I don't always get that good of a discount, but I think that's a good starting point for negotiating.

I'm also planning to get the bulb warranty from Chris, since he quoted me $150 for that, and the projector extended warranty directly from Mack, since Alan quoted me $140 for that.
post #18 of 20 Old 11-12-2018, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Thanks for all of the info, David.

Quote:
Alan with Mack said I'd need to check the documentation in the box when it arrives, to see if the projector fits their requirements for being able to warranty it.

What are the requirements?

Quote:
I read somebody say that extended warranty prices are negotiable. Thoughts on prices to start the negotiation at?

That may be the case at retailers, who are also charging quite a bit more for the warranty as a % of purchase price, but I'd be surprised.

But life is full of surprises; I'd try 20-25% off if you're going to give it a go.

Is the lamp warranty only for outright failure, or does it apply to unacceptable dimming as well?

Noah
post #19 of 20 Old 11-12-2018, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Thanks for all of the info, David.

What are the requirements?

That may be the case at retailers, who are also charging quite a bit more for the warranty as a % of purchase price, but I'd be surprised.

But life is full of surprises; I'd try 20-25% off if you're going to give it a go.

Is the lamp warranty only for outright failure, or does it apply to unacceptable dimming as well?

Hi Noah, you're welcome. Since the projector is a b-stock unit, Alan told me I'd need to check the box's documentation to see if Mack can warranty it. I'm not sure of the specifics.

I think I'll try to get the bulb warranty for $100 from Chris, and see what he says. I don't have to make a decision immediately on the projector extended warranty, but I think I'll see if both Chris and Mack will give me a bundle discount if I purchase both warranties.

The lamp warranty also covers "normal use", to my knowledge, but I don't know the specific parameters surrounding that either. It may be that after 3,500 hours, they'll send you a new lamp, but I'm not sure.
post #20 of 20 Old 11-13-2018, 09:37 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6395 Post(s)
Liked: 6395
Quote:

Mack: http://www.mackcam.com/customer-service/contact-us/ - 3 year bulb warranty: $200; 4 year projector extended warranty: $140. Chris had the prices as $150 for the bulb warranty, and $200 for the projector extended warranty.
You can buy any warranty you want, the terms and conditions still apply. Bulb Warranty are the only one that is STRICT, must be bought the day you buy projector. A dealer who does not know this may sell you the warranty at anytime, but Mack will know when the invoice from Projector and Bulb warranty do not match and they will deny the claim.

Quote:
Sure they are negotiable, but if you need help down the road against a extended warranty company that does not want to pay, that is only offered by a few dealers, many will say there is nothing they can do instead of e-mailing there rep.

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 11-13-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page