BenQ LK990 - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 784Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 1021 Old 04-01-2019, 01:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,056
Mentioned: 497 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6933 Post(s)
Liked: 6640
Dave, have you measured the P3 in BT2020 container coverage yet?

Can you post the gamut pic if you can.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 1021 Old 04-01-2019, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,351
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5336 Post(s)
Liked: 3462
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GAGE View Post
Madvr or a Lumagen radiance.
I still don't think these are equals. Lumagen is supposedly very nice. But with the amount of hours of testing and improvements made in the madVR tone mapping thread, I'd say its tone mapping is / will be the best possible. Also madVR has the best upscaler I've ever seen and its post processing for things like sharpness, noise reduction etc, are fantastic. The lumagen just doesn't have the processing power to compete with madVR's NGU scaling. I've seen some of my 1080p "high quality" material look better than some native 4K material, in parts. Like very now and then a frame pops up or the camera stops on an image and it just looks true 4K and its madVR upscaling. This stuff all looks soft played outside madVR.
RapalloAV likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #543 of 1021 Old 04-01-2019, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
12GAGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 738
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 394
No argument here Mark. I think MadVR is the best as well. The NGU scaling is great.



Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I still don't think these are equals. Lumagen is supposedly very nice. But with the amount of hours of testing and improvements made in the madVR tone mapping thread, I'd say its tone mapping is / will be the best possible. Also madVR has the best upscaler I've ever seen and its post processing for things like sharpness, noise reduction etc, are fantastic. The lumagen just doesn't have the processing power to compete with madVR's NGU scaling. I've seen some of my 1080p "high quality" material look better than some native 4K material, in parts. Like very now and then a frame pops up or the camera stops on an image and it just looks true 4K and its madVR upscaling. This stuff all looks soft played outside madVR.
RapalloAV likes this.
12GAGE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #544 of 1021 Old 04-01-2019, 09:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
The languages spoken there are typically Mandarin or Cantonese. I too wish those were included in the languages I spoke because with "translate" the author says rainbow effect is only "175" and I'm not sure what is meant by that.

And yes, the pictures look fantastic.
There are two places where the author mentioned RBE

1. "望能明白,圖片是無法把現場真實畫 重現,首先唔好講亮度和對比度,單 是彩虹效應的多少,還有175吋的1:1震 ,單靠這嘔吐物式圖片,是完全表達 出實時畫質"

This sentence means the pictures posted online do not represent the whole impression when seeing the projected pictures in person, which include brightness, contrast, amount of RBE, and the massive 175 inch screen.

2. "雖然 LK990 只是使用 RGBY 四色輪,在清澈度大幅提升下,沒有 彩虹效應得到惡化"

This sentence means LK990's RGBY color wheels did not make the RBE worse.

FYI, avbuzz is a dealer
Dave Harper and Aztar35 like this.
Jue Liang is offline  
post #545 of 1021 Old 04-01-2019, 10:10 AM
Member
 
Jare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 19
New Chinese review with pictures https://www.hao4k.cn/thread-32762-1-1.html
https://www.hao4k.cn/thread-33156-1-1.html
microwiz likes this.

Last edited by Jare; 04-01-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Jare is offline  
post #546 of 1021 Old 04-01-2019, 10:18 AM
Senior Member
 
MGBPUFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Where do you get this crazy idea from??? Who said you have to have a PC to make it look good? You’re really confusing me with that post. I haven’t ONCE used either my LK970 or LK990 with a PC and both of them have provided me with more jaw dropping experiences than any of Projector I have ever owned or had the pleasure of coming through here in the last 25+ years!

.
Why are you offended? I thought my statement was directed at the MadVr and perhaps Lumagen people. I am aware that you are working with the projector set up software directly. Thanks for keeping it as simple and affordable as possible. Sorry you took it the wrong way.
MGBPUFF is offline  
post #547 of 1021 Old 04-01-2019, 10:23 AM
Senior Member
 
SaulP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jare View Post
Google translate did a passable job translating the review. It is interesting. I'm curious about the "CinemaMaster" function they discuss. I'm not sure I've seen Dave or anyone else yet comment on it.

(It'd be nice to get the nicer remote! In the end, I'll be running everything through Simple Control, so no big deal, but still.)

Last edited by SaulP; 04-02-2019 at 08:37 PM.
SaulP is offline  
post #548 of 1021 Old 04-01-2019, 01:29 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
BenQ LK990

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
DAVE, looking forward to tour comparison to the LK970, if u think its worth upgrading or just wait it out maybe for LK1000
OK I’ll hopefully know a lot more after today when I calibrate and tweak each one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGBPUFF View Post
Why are you offended? I thought my statement was directed at the MadVr and perhaps Lumagen people. I am aware that you are working with the projector set up software directly. Thanks for keeping it as simple and affordable as possible. Sorry you took it the wrong way.

Sorry I’m not offended. It was just getting tiresome having to always clear up some misconceptions about these.

I’m not sure I took it the wrong way considering how you worded it, saying you had to have a PC with MadVR in order to get a good image from the LKs. It appears it was actually directed at the UB820 users not being able to get a good image with it and only with the MadVR or Lumagen. Maybe I did, idk, but either way it’s a false statement.

Here’s what you said. You be the judge:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGBPUFF View Post
If using a computer is the only way to get a good picture out of the LK990, then screw this product. I think 90% of the people who buy projectors would agree. I wish bit heads would not try to take over every thread. Just my opinion , of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Dave, have you measured the P3 in BT2020 container coverage yet?

Can you post the gamut pic if you can.

Not yet, but that’s on the docket for today if my health holds up. I’ve gotten pretty sick (thanks honey haha!) which put a crimp in some of my comparison and calibration plans yesterday. I basically sat there like a zombie watching many well known scenes and messing with various settings to find the best combo.

If subjectively impressions account for anything, when in HDR BT2020 mode, the colors do indeed look more saturated and deep. See my comments below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulP View Post
Cool. Please share! Was this with the HDR flag stripped?



This would be my first HDfury. Can you recommend which one to get?



Please share! Don’t worry about the haters. As you have already noted, well, they’re going to hate. But for every oneof them, there are dozens of folks like me who want to learn as much as possible especially from people as knowledgeable as you.

Yes with the flag stripped. But now I am retracting my earlier impression and statement that it is better to strip it. If you send full HDR to the LK990 and then use combinations of settings from the UB820 and LK990 you can get a more dynamic and better image on screen. The main reason this is so appears to be because it engages a 2084 gamut, which their dimming algorithm is tied to and gives you MUCH better dimming performance than what I saw with SDR! I didn’t see any “cliff effect” dimming at all this way until slightly at the end of a movie when the picture goes black for a microsecond before the titles roll. It also really seems to give you a much improved dynamic range of the picture. The SDR tone mapped image seems flat in comparison. Also, after using HDR BT2020 mode on the LK990, you can clearly see the colors are more saturated and vibrant, I am sure from going into BT2020 mode. The problem is, you can’t select BT2020 unless sending a full HDR signal and having the 990 lock into its HDR mode. This should be changed.

So far, I highly recommend you send full HDR, even maybe if using MadVR or a Radiance Pro. This appears to be more due to the behavior of the LK990 than the capabilities of external video processor. I’m thinking the only solution would be to allow the end user to manually select an HDR mode, gamma, color gamut, etc. and not be forced into certain modes and options as it is now. Maybe this is something Javs can pass along. I know I will.

The HDFURY devices to use are the Linker, Vertex or Integral 2 (not 1).

Last edited by Dave Harper; 04-01-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #549 of 1021 Old 04-01-2019, 01:44 PM
Senior Member
 
SaulP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post

Yes with the flag stripped. But now I am retracting my earlier impression and statement that it is better to strip it. If you send full HDR to the LK990 and then use combinations of settings from the UB820 and LK990 you can get a more dynamic and better image on screen. The main reason this is so appears to be because it engages a 2084 gamut, which their dimming algorithm is tied to and gives you MUCH better dimming performance than what I saw with SDR! I didn’t see any “cliff effect” dimming at all this way until slightly at the end of a movie when the picture goes black for a microsecond before the titles roll. It also really seems to give you a much improved dynamic range of the picture. The SDR tone mapped image seems flat in comparison. Also, after using HDR BT2020 mode on the LK990, you can clearly see the colors are more saturated and vibrant, I am sure from going into BT2020 mode. The problem is, you can’t select BT2020 unless sending a full HDR signal and having the 990 lock into its HDR mode. This should be changed.

So far, I highly recommend you send full HDR, even maybe if using MadVR or a Radiance Pro. This appears to be more due to the behavior of the LK990 than the capabilities of external video processor. I’m thinking the only solution would be to allow the end user to manually select an HDR mode/gamma and not be forced into certain modes and options as it is now. Maybe this is something Javs can pass along. I know I will.

The HDFURY devices to use are the Linker, Vertex or Integral 2 (not 1).
Thanks, Dave! If I'm understanding you correctly, for now at least I won't need the HDFURY because I don't need to strip the flag. I will rely primarily on a combination of the Panny UB820 for most of my content (rather than the nVIDIA Shield) because the Panny has some tone mapping that improves the picture. Is there another reason to buy the HDFURY at the moment? If not, I'll play with what I've got (using your suggestions as to tweaks) and see where I end up. I can always order the HDFURY at a later point.
SaulP is offline  
post #550 of 1021 Old 04-01-2019, 01:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Maestrosc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Riverside SoCal
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 239
So Ive asked this everywhere I feel was a decent place to ask, so I apologize if this is now the 4th or 5th time reading this same exact question but as I gain more information/understanding my question is ever evolving lol so without further ado:

Dedicated HT room.
100% light controlled.
Room is 21' Long so throw distance will probably be 18-20' depending on stud placement in ceiling.
139" wide Scope screen (150" diagonal).
Screen is Dreamscreen V6, gain of only .8
Most content will be from Panasonic ub820

Not looking to add a Lumagem Radiance Pro as I feel its just another point of failure/headaches when something goes wrong.

Might be looking into adding a HTPC with madvr someday as I am a bit of a computer nerd and have built several gaming rigs in the past.

Right now I have an Epson5040ub, but am looking to upgrade the projector as I would rather get a completely fresh start with my newly built HT in my new house.

NOW then, due to my screen size + the screen being so little gain, I feel like I have sort of backed myself into a corner regarding Projector choices. I am just not 100% confident that anything short of the Sony VW5000 or this projector will be able to provide enough light to fully do HDR justice, and I also tend to prefer an extremely bright picture, just as a personal preference.

I know this is sort of like comparing a corvette to a civic in terms of price (I can purchase a VW5000 for 38000 out the door roughly), but the LK990 is newer, and I feel like with the VW5000 I am increasingly running the risk of being disappointed when Sony comes out with newer models (which I would assume would have to be soon since the 5000 is like 3 years old now, which is OLD in terms of tech - at least from my PC building experience)

Its not that I CANT afford the Sony VW5000 but 40,000 is still 40,000 , and if this thing is comparable for 1/3 the price, how smart is it to purchase the VW5000?

Or are there other options I am not aware of?

Opinions, thoughts, feelings, from anyone would be much appreciated.

Having a bit of a Princess Leia crisis here... help me LK990 owners, you are my only hope...maybe ?
Maestrosc is offline  
post #551 of 1021 Old 04-01-2019, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,849
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2637 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
So Ive asked this everywhere I feel was a decent place to ask, so I apologize if this is now the 4th or 5th time reading this same exact question but as I gain more information/understanding my question is ever evolving lol so without further ado:

Dedicated HT room.
100% light controlled.
Room is 21' Long so throw distance will probably be 18-20' depending on stud placement in ceiling.
139" wide Scope screen (150" diagonal).
Screen is Dreamscreen V6, gain of only .8
Most content will be from Panasonic ub820

Not looking to add a Lumagem Radiance Pro as I feel its just another point of failure/headaches when something goes wrong.

Might be looking into adding a HTPC with madvr someday as I am a bit of a computer nerd and have built several gaming rigs in the past.

Right now I have an Epson5040ub, but am looking to upgrade the projector as I would rather get a completely fresh start with my newly built HT in my new house.

NOW then, due to my screen size + the screen being so little gain, I feel like I have sort of backed myself into a corner regarding Projector choices. I am just not 100% confident that anything short of the Sony VW5000 or this projector will be able to provide enough light to fully do HDR justice, and I also tend to prefer an extremely bright picture, just as a personal preference.

I know this is sort of like comparing a corvette to a civic in terms of price (I can purchase a VW5000 for 38000 out the door roughly), but the LK990 is newer, and I feel like with the VW5000 I am increasingly running the risk of being disappointed when Sony comes out with newer models (which I would assume would have to be soon since the 5000 is like 3 years old now, which is OLD in terms of tech - at least from my PC building experience)

Its not that I CANT afford the Sony VW5000 but 40,000 is still 40,000 , and if this thing is comparable for 1/3 the price, how smart is it to purchase the VW5000?

Or are there other options I am not aware of?

Opinions, thoughts, feelings, from anyone would be much appreciated.

Having a bit of a Princess Leia crisis here... help me LK990 owners, you are my only hope...maybe ?
LK990 seems like the smart choice in your case!
Ruined is offline  
post #552 of 1021 Old 04-01-2019, 02:22 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulP View Post
Thanks, Dave! If I'm understanding you correctly, for now at least I won't need the HDFURY because I don't need to strip the flag. I will rely primarily on a combination of the Panny UB820 for most of my content (rather than the nVIDIA Shield) because the Panny has some tone mapping that improves the picture. Is there another reason to buy the HDFURY at the moment? If not, I'll play with what I've got (using your suggestions as to tweaks) and see where I end up. I can always order the HDFURY at a later point.

Yes you understand what I’m getting at. Me personally, I would still get at least a Linker which is the cheapest option. This is so you can strip the flag if needed for streaming options and other sources if needed, as you alluded to with the Shield. It isn’t that much and something that’s worth having in your home theater arsenal anyway.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
So Ive asked this everywhere I feel was a decent place to ask, so I apologize if this is now the 4th or 5th time reading this same exact question but as I gain more information/understanding my question is ever evolving lol so without further ado:



Dedicated HT room.

100% light controlled.

Room is 21' Long so throw distance will probably be 18-20' depending on stud placement in ceiling.

139" wide Scope screen (150" diagonal).

Screen is Dreamscreen V6, gain of only .8

Most content will be from Panasonic ub820



Not looking to add a Lumagem Radiance Pro as I feel its just another point of failure/headaches when something goes wrong.



Might be looking into adding a HTPC with madvr someday as I am a bit of a computer nerd and have built several gaming rigs in the past.



Right now I have an Epson5040ub, but am looking to upgrade the projector as I would rather get a completely fresh start with my newly built HT in my new house.



NOW then, due to my screen size + the screen being so little gain, I feel like I have sort of backed myself into a corner regarding Projector choices. I am just not 100% confident that anything short of the Sony VW5000 or this projector will be able to provide enough light to fully do HDR justice, and I also tend to prefer an extremely bright picture, just as a personal preference.



I know this is sort of like comparing a corvette to a civic in terms of price (I can purchase a VW5000 for 38000 out the door roughly), but the LK990 is newer, and I feel like with the VW5000 I am increasingly running the risk of being disappointed when Sony comes out with newer models (which I would assume would have to be soon since the 5000 is like 3 years old now, which is OLD in terms of tech - at least from my PC building experience)



Its not that I CANT afford the Sony VW5000 but 40,000 is still 40,000 , and if this thing is comparable for 1/3 the price, how smart is it to purchase the VW5000?



Or are there other options I am not aware of?



Opinions, thoughts, feelings, from anyone would be much appreciated.



Having a bit of a Princess Leia crisis here... help me LK990 owners, you are my only hope...maybe ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
LK990 seems like the smart choice in your case!

I’d have to agree, mainly because you say you like a brighter image. The only caveat would be absolute black levels, which are subjectively much improved on the LK990 over the 970. So the only question I think to ask yourself is if it’s worth $30K+ for better blacks? I’m thinking not, at least for pauper me.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #553 of 1021 Old 04-01-2019, 03:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Maestrosc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Riverside SoCal
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Yes you understand what I’m getting at. Me personally, I would still get at least a Linker which is the cheapest option. This is so you can strip the flag if needed for streaming options and other sources if needed, as you alluded to with the Shield. It isn’t that much and something that’s worth having in your home theater arsenal anyway.






I’d have to agree, mainly because you say you like a brighter image. The only caveat would be absolute black levels, which are subjectively much improved on the LK990 over the 970. So the only question I think to ask yourself is if it’s worth $30K+ for better blacks? I’m thinking not, at least for pauper me.
How about the RBE? I know I am somewhat sensitive to it, but if I only have to see it during menus and such, I am perfectly fine with that. But if it was an issue during actual content, I would REALLY struggle with being happy about this purchase.

And you are saying the contrast is just as good on the 990 compared to the higher cost projectors?

Ive always felt like contrast > absolute black levels because our eyes are capable of playing so many tricks on us and perception is often much different than reality.

Like when people share those optical illusions where colors look entirely different depending on what other colors/images are around them.
Maestrosc is offline  
post #554 of 1021 Old 04-01-2019, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Middel east, LEBANON
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 244
The big question for me is if the smarteco function on the 990 improve the black floor dramatically compared the 970, and if anyone in the world can try 3D on it lol. should be an excellent match. come on i m itching to know if i should upgrade my 970 to the 990 or not

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
tnaik4 is offline  
post #555 of 1021 Old 04-01-2019, 11:43 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
BenQ LK990

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
The big question for me is if the smarteco function on the 990 improve the black floor dramatically compared the 970, and if anyone in the world can try 3D on it lol. should be an excellent match. come on i m itching to know if i should upgrade my 970 to the 990 or not

Yes it definitely improves black levels, subjectively a lot! It’s easily seen. The 990 is definitely a different animal though, so just about all of your work on the 970 would be for naught. How are the blacks with APC now that you’ve mastered LightSpace? Where do you guys get the time, sheesh!

I haven’t tried 3D yet because I don’t have those type of glasses needed. I’m undecided to buy some since this is just an evaluation piece. Anyone want to loan me a pair, I’ll pay for shipping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
How about the RBE? I know I am somewhat sensitive to it, but if I only have to see it during menus and such, I am perfectly fine with that. But if it was an issue during actual content, I would REALLY struggle with being happy about this purchase.



And you are saying the contrast is just as good on the 990 compared to the higher cost projectors?



Ive always felt like contrast > absolute black levels because our eyes are capable of playing so many tricks on us and perception is often much different than reality.



Like when people share those optical illusions where colors look entirely different depending on what other colors/images are around them.

No I am saying that you have to ask yourself if the improved blacks and contrast on the high priced Sony VW5000ES is worth the approximate $30K difference in price.

RBE is a very personal thing and nobody can really answer that for you. I don’t consider myself ultra sensitive to it but I have certainly seen it before and can induce it if need be. This particular model, compared to all the other single chip DLPs I’ve seen, is one of if not the best I’ve had, if that helps.

PS - Go see what Citation444 and tnaik4 have done with their LK970s and LightSpace on that tread!
Dave Harper is offline  
post #556 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 04:46 AM
Senior Member
 
oztheatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Well I don't know what I'm missing but I'm only using the 990 with a zappiti media player and an older pana UB900. It looks stunning. I've put Dave's 970 colour settings into the 990 and using smart eco on my 165 inch scope screen, it's jaw dropping. Watched most of passengers last night.. just pure eye candy!
oztheatre is offline  
post #557 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 05:01 AM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztheatre View Post
Well I don't know what I'm missing but I'm only using the 990 with a zappiti media player and an older pana UB900. It looks stunning. I've put Dave's 970 colour settings into the 990 and using smart eco on my 165 inch scope screen, it's jaw dropping. Watched most of passengers last night.. just pure eye candy!

I’m happy you like it Oz. I am concerned though with you using my settings from the 970 on the 990. Did you disable the HDR flag and use an SDR mode so you could apply my HarperVision settings, as is done with the 970? That should be the only way my extreme color settings could possibly work well. The 990 accepts HDR natively so you don’t have to go to such extreme measures on that model to get a similar image. Were you inputting a full HDR BT2020 signal into an SDR mode like Vivid or Cinema?
Dave Harper is offline  
post #558 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 07:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Middel east, LEBANON
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Yes it definitely improves black levels, subjectively a lot! It’s easily seen. The 990 is definitely a different animal though, so just about all of your work on the 970 would be for naught. How are the blacks with APC now that you’ve mastered LightSpace? Where do you guys get the time, sheesh!

I haven’t tried 3D yet because I don’t have those type of glasses needed. I’m undecided to buy some since this is just an evaluation piece. Anyone want to loan me a pair, I’ll pay for shipping?


Lightspace improved things drastically specially in the low end, it made it deeper while retaining all the detail, i need ur opinion if its worth it to upgrade for the 990 , i m interested in smarteco and 3d, i do have 3d on my jvc but i guess with 6000lumens the 3d on it will be outstanding!

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
tnaik4 is offline  
post #559 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 08:03 AM
Senior Member
 
oztheatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I’m happy you like it Oz. I am concerned though with you using my settings from the 970 on the 990. Did you disable the HDR flag and use an SDR mode so you could apply my HarperVision settings, as is done with the 970? That should be the only way my extreme color settings could possibly work well. The 990 accepts HDR natively so you don’t have to go to such extreme measures on that model to get a similar image. Were you inputting a full HDR BT2020 signal into an SDR mode like Vivid or Cinema?
Hi Dave, I've used your colour settings using cinema mode but pulled the overall colour right down and used my own brightness and contrast as per my setup etc. I'll check what I have it at, but it's looking stunning. No disabling HDR as only have the panasonic UB900, not the 9000 or 820. Might grab an 820 though.
Dave Harper likes this.
oztheatre is offline  
post #560 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 09:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Maestrosc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Riverside SoCal
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Alright, just saw Tnaik4's pictures of Jurrassic Park....

I am sold.

BenQ LK990 is going to be my projector for my new build.

Also, because the LK990 is so much cheaper than what I have budgeted, I am 100% going to be investing into a HTPC or lumagen radiance pro, instead of just going with the UB820. With how much cheaper it is I can use my budget to invest into stronger video processing, and even a Paladin DCR lens if I need to, and still come out close to the RS4500 price I was given. And then, even if BenQ listens to the advice/suggestions they are getting from numbers here, taking this projector from a 95% to 110%, I can just invest it in then, since I will not have JUST purchased a new house/Just paid for the construction of my theater.

Especially because the LK990 doesnt have lens memory, or power lens controls, I am going to need a video processor that can handle scaling anyways in case I decide I want to switch between aspect ratios without needing to keep a ladder nearby.

I guess now I need to: find a dealer for the LK990, and start figuring out a HTPC build, and cost of that + madvr + whatever other programs AVS says I need.
Dave Harper and Archibald1 like this.
Maestrosc is offline  
post #561 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: The Bay - Green Bay, WI
Posts: 1,554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post

. . . and start figuring out a HTPC build, and cost of that + madvr + whatever other programs AVS says I need.
Welcome to the Borg. You have been assimilated.
Willie is online now  
post #562 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 10:10 AM
Senior Member
 
microwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jare View Post
These images are very good!

Pioneer SC-95, Axiom M80, VP180, Dual SVS PB-4000 subs, ISCO III, RS540 + Stewart Cima Neve 133
microwiz is offline  
post #563 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 10:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Maestrosc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Riverside SoCal
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post
Welcome to the Borg. You have been assimilated.
Lol, trying to read/understand the madvr thread is like looking at one of those screens from the matrix... I know its trying to tell me something but I just dont get it.

It looks like if i get HTPC+madvr+lightspace I am going to need to fly someone like tnaik4 out to get it all setup for me XD
Maestrosc is offline  
post #564 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 11:02 AM
Senior Member
 
microwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Here's a comparison, obviously different screens, photographers but it still shows off the strengths and some of the weakness of the LK990.

Top LK990, bottom RS540.

Brightness and sharpness is much better, i'm a brightness freak so i do like that vs the duller RS540. I would like to see what a LK990 looks fully calibrated because it seems too strong most of the time and the colors are not as accurate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LucyCompare.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	2547814  

Pioneer SC-95, Axiom M80, VP180, Dual SVS PB-4000 subs, ISCO III, RS540 + Stewart Cima Neve 133
microwiz is offline  
post #565 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 11:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Maestrosc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Riverside SoCal
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by microwiz View Post
Here's a comparison, obviously different screens, photographers but it still shows off the strengths and some of the weakness of the LK990.

Top LK990, bottom RS540.

Brightness and sharpness is much better, i'm a brightness freak so i do like that vs the duller RS540. I would like to see what a LK990 looks fully calibrated because it seems too strong most of the time and the colors are not as accurate.

As a fellow brightness freak... agreed haha.

IDK why... even with an Epson 5040ub with full light control... I never turned off dynamic.

I have always preferred a brighter image, even if its "not natural looking".

I also like oversaturated colors in photo editing, which I know is a personal preference thing.


Also, after looking at the HTPC threads and MADVR/Lighstspace threads... I dont think I am smart enough to get a HTPC maybe I will just get a lumagem radiance pro, and switch to the MadVREnvy when it comes out LMAO.
Maestrosc is offline  
post #566 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 11:21 AM
Senior Member
 
microwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Yea I would be fine trading one for the other but it could be even better if the brightness can be "tamed" a bit with calibration.

Pioneer SC-95, Axiom M80, VP180, Dual SVS PB-4000 subs, ISCO III, RS540 + Stewart Cima Neve 133
microwiz is offline  
post #567 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 11:25 AM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
Lightspace improved things drastically specially in the low end, it made it deeper while retaining all the detail, i need ur opinion if its worth it to upgrade for the 990 , i m interested in smarteco and 3d, i do have 3d on my jvc but i guess with 6000lumens the 3d on it will be outstanding!

Based on preliminary findings, I would have to say yes if budget allows. But if you have an LK970 already installed and fine tuned or get a great deal on one, I think standing pat would also be OK, maybe at least until anything is revealed in the near future from BenQ with maybe some of the tweaks Javs and I will be giving them.

So far there are a couple things a little better in the 970, like SDR, but it is very early on in the game with the 990 so that could also change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post
Welcome to the Borg. You have been assimilated.

lol



Quote:
Originally Posted by microwiz View Post
Here's a comparison, obviously different screens, photographers but it still shows off the strengths and some of the weakness of the LK990.



Top LK990, bottom RS540.



Brightness and sharpness is much better, i'm a brightness freak so i do like that vs the duller RS540. I would like to see what a LK990 looks fully calibrated because it seems too strong most of the time and the colors are not as accurate.

Calibration is key to getting it accurate, so they could be very close with the right tools and/or setup. Colors are one of its biggest strengths and along with its sharpness and detail are the two top “wow factor” attributes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
Alright, just saw Tnaik4's pictures of Jurrassic Park....



I am sold.



BenQ LK990 is going to be my projector for my new build.



Also, because the LK990 is so much cheaper than what I have budgeted, I am 100% going to be investing into a HTPC or lumagen radiance pro, instead of just going with the UB820. With how much cheaper it is I can use my budget to invest into stronger video processing, and even a Paladin DCR lens if I need to, and still come out close to the RS4500 price I was given. And then, even if BenQ listens to the advice/suggestions they are getting from numbers here, taking this projector from a 95% to 110%, I can just invest it in then, since I will not have JUST purchased a new house/Just paid for the construction of my theater.



Especially because the LK990 doesnt have lens memory, or power lens controls, I am going to need a video processor that can handle scaling anyways in case I decide I want to switch between aspect ratios without needing to keep a ladder nearby.



I guess now I need to: find a dealer for the LK990, and start figuring out a HTPC build, and cost of that + madvr + whatever other programs AVS says I need.



You don’t have to have a video processor for that on the LK970/990. They already have the needed aspect ratio options built in. All you need is an anamorphic lens like the Paladin or Schneider/ISCO. Of course to get images on it like tnaik4 and others have, you’d want a processor or take the time to tweak it up with HarperVision.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #568 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 11:27 AM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
BenQ LK990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
As a fellow brightness freak... agreed haha.



IDK why... even with an Epson 5040ub with full light control... I never turned off dynamic.



I have always preferred a brighter image, even if its "not natural looking".



I also like oversaturated colors in photo editing, which I know is a personal preference thing.



Also, after looking at the HTPC threads and MADVR/Lighstspace threads... I dont think I am smart enough to get a HTPC maybe I will just get a lumagem radiance pro, and switch to the MadVREnvy when it comes out LMAO.

You’re going to love the LK990 then!

Last edited by Dave Harper; 04-02-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #569 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 12:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Maestrosc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Riverside SoCal
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
You’re gong to love the LK990 then!
Ya man I am finally comfortable with my Projector selection after 2 weeks of nervously switching back and forth and changing my mind every 30 seconds. With my low gain GIANT screen, its either this or the VW5000 (which is $30,000 more and 3 years old).

Now my big decision is HTPC vs Lumagem Radiance Pro, because after reading the HTPC threads, I am feeling a bit shell shocked lmao.

Feel like HTPC is a better solution if I planned on learning how to manipulate it all myself and put a decent chunk of my time into learning (but with a 40-60 hour work week, 10 hour/wk workouts + other hobbys not sure if I even COULD learn this), but the radiance pro might be a "good enough" plug and play option.

Also Paladin lens.

Oh and actually sourcing all of this. I have a feeling my HT guy is not going to have access to all of these specific devices. Going to lunch with him in 30 minutes, so will have to see how he feels about all of this.

Or maybe I convince Tnaik to come to So-Cal and reproduce those Jurrassic Park images on my new setup
Dave Harper likes this.

Last edited by Maestrosc; 04-02-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Maestrosc is offline  
post #570 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 12:16 PM
Member
 
arpatel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
Lol, trying to read/understand the madvr thread is like looking at one of those screens from the matrix... I know its trying to tell me something but I just dont get it.

It looks like if i get HTPC+madvr+lightspace I am going to need to fly someone like tnaik4 out to get it all setup for me XD
How do you guys play UHD disc via HTPC . Are there custom PC built with HDMI 2 / HDPC 2.2 input .
arpatel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off