BenQ LK990 - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 784Likes

post #571 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Dave, tnaik, oz, woofer, and anyone else who has a 970/990, I had chosen the Seymour Screen Excellence AV 1.3 AlR silver screen when I was going with the NX7. I've since changed my mind and have ordered the Benq 990 due to my heavy sports/tv watching in lighted room. My question is do you agree that I should switch to the Seymour Matinee Blackw .9 AlR screen (even though it gives me less flexibility if I was to change projectors at some point)? I "only" am getting a 120" diagonal 16:9 screen and zoom will be pretty maxed out since I don't have the deepest room. I would think with the brightness and positioning of the projector, I'll have more than enough brightness still and it may? help with its handling of certain scenes? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. The 990 should ship around the 12th so I want to go ahead and order the screen.

Also, if the 990 will only be about 4 to 5 feet above my head, will I need to invest in a hush box? I'm not overly sensitive to fan noise but though this one may be pretty noticeable that close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpatel View Post
How do you guys play UHD disc via HTPC . Are there custom PC built with HDMI 2 / HDPC 2.2 input .

No, with a disc drive in the PC.
post #573 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
Alright, just saw Tnaik4's pictures of Jurrassic Park....

I am sold.

BenQ LK990 is going to be my projector for my new build.

Also, because the LK990 is so much cheaper than what I have budgeted, I am 100% going to be investing into a HTPC or lumagen radiance pro, instead of just going with the UB820. With how much cheaper it is I can use my budget to invest into stronger video processing, and even a Paladin DCR lens if I need to, and still come out close to the RS4500 price I was given. And then, even if BenQ listens to the advice/suggestions they are getting from numbers here, taking this projector from a 95% to 110%, I can just invest it in then, since I will not have JUST purchased a new house/Just paid for the construction of my theater.

Especially because the LK990 doesnt have lens memory, or power lens controls, I am going to need a video processor that can handle scaling anyways in case I decide I want to switch between aspect ratios without needing to keep a ladder nearby.

I guess now I need to: find a dealer for the LK990, and start figuring out a HTPC build, and cost of that + madvr + whatever other programs AVS says I need.
It is not that complicated, once u set it up its just play the movie and enjoy, i use MPC-BE player with MadVr as renderer, i know it might sound complicated but we can help u set it up.
Radiance pro is known to be excellent too.
Lightspace can be used for both.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doran View Post
Dave, tnaik, oz, woofer, and anyone else who has a 970/990, I had chosen the Seymour Screen Excellence AV 1.3 AlR silver screen when I was going with the NX7. I've since changed my mind and have ordered the Benq 990 due to my heavy sports/tv watching in lighted room. My question is do you agree that I should switch to the Seymour Matinee Blackw .9 AlR screen (even though it gives me less flexibility if I was to change projectors at some point)? I "only" am getting a 120" diagonal 16:9 screen and zoom will be pretty maxed out since I don't have the deepest room. I would think with the brightness and positioning of the projector, I'll have more than enough brightness still and it may? help with its handling of certain scenes? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. The 990 should ship around the 12th so I want to go ahead and order the screen.

Also, if the 990 will only be about 4 to 5 feet above my head, will I need to invest in a hush box? I'm not overly sensitive to fan noise but though this one may be pretty noticeable that close.
I m not really an expert with screens, but if u have a well treated room a white screen is always the best, u can always lower the laser power to reduce the light output.
Regarding noise, its a little noisy on normal mode, but since u have a smaller screen ull probably use eco which is a lot quieter, i cant comment about Smarteco since i dont have that option in the 970.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #575 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
I m not really an expert with screens, but if u have a well treated room a white screen is always the best, u can always lower the laser power to reduce the light output.
Regarding noise, its a little noisy on normal mode, but since u have a smaller screen ull probably use eco which is a lot quieter, i cant comment about Smarteco since i dont have that option in the 970.
Thanks for the input. I have dark walls, ceiling and carpet, but I plan on watching a lot with ambient light, either dimmed canned lighting or open side windows, hence my draw to an AlR screen (as well as the 990).
post #576 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
The big question for me is if the smarteco function on the 990 improve the black floor dramatically compared the 970, and if anyone in the world can try 3D on it lol. should be an excellent match. come on i m itching to know if i should upgrade my 970 to the 990 or not
My LK990 arrvived much earlier as expected, so I can tell how 3D looks like.

I am very happy with it, for the first time Avatar in 3D looks like it should.

The light output is just right for my 140" 16:9 (low gain 0,9) screen.
I started the 3D Blu Ray with my LG Blu Ray player (cheap one) and the LK 990 switched to 3D mode (uses normal light output) I played the "dark scene" in which Jake Sully fights these Pandora "Dogs".

YEEEES!!
I did see clearly all details and the scene had much punch, simply amazing. It is even better than I hoped it would be. And much much better than my old Benq W1070!

So with the 3D picutre I am already satsified - I even do not know if I will try to improve this.

Edit: Forgot one thing to mention I also was surprised to see: Dust and little flys (flies?) floating around in the jungle. Never noticed that on my dim 1070. Edit End

On the other hand I have some problems with the HDR picture with my HTPC und MadVR.

But that is not the LK990 fault I guess, it just does not work like my 1070 did.

I also do have a Xbox One X and will try 4K HDR with the LK990 to see how it performs there.

So I will spend much time to figure out the best settings the next days...

Overall picture quality is amazing and a welcome improvement for me.

Last edited by MCU2; 04-02-2019 at 03:01 PM.
post #577 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Alright, just saw Tnaik4's pictures of Jurrassic Park....

I am sold.

BenQ LK990 is going to be my projector for my new build.

Also, because the LK990 is so much cheaper than what I have budgeted, I am 100% going to be investing into a HTPC or lumagen radiance pro, instead of just going with the UB820. With how much cheaper it is I can use my budget to invest into stronger video processing, and even a Paladin DCR lens if I need to, and still come out close to the RS4500 price I was given. And then, even if BenQ listens to the advice/suggestions they are getting from numbers here, taking this projector from a 95% to 110%, I can just invest it in then, since I will not have JUST purchased a new house/Just paid for the construction of my theater.

Especially because the LK990 doesnt have lens memory, or power lens controls, I am going to need a video processor that can handle scaling anyways in case I decide I want to switch between aspect ratios without needing to keep a ladder nearby.

I guess now I need to: find a dealer for the LK990, and start figuring out a HTPC build, and cost of that + madvr + whatever other programs AVS says I need.
Welcome to the club. Let me save you a few more bucks. If you want a Panamorph A lens, it would be regular Paladin rather than the Paladin DCR. Also the Benq will do the anamorphic squeeze for that lens. You don't need to have a separate scaler for it.
post #578 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2635 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:

Unless you need the extra gain for brightness it's never wise to go higher than 1.0 gain for DLP (0.9 is actually ideal IMO) as you really don't want to amplify DLP black floor unless absolutely necessary
post #579 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCU2 View Post
My LK990 arrvived much earlier as expected, so I can tell how 3D looks like.

I am very happy with it, for the first time Avatar in 3D looks like it should.

The light output is just right for my 140" 16:9 (low gain 0,9) screen.
I started the 3D Blu Ray with my LG Blu Ray player (cheap one) and the LK 990 switched to 3D mode (uses normal light output) I played the "dark scene" in which Jake Sully fights these Pandora "Dogs".

YEEEES!!
I did see clearly all details and the scene had much punch, simply amazing. It is even better than I hoped it would be. And much much better than my old Benq W1070!

So with the 3D picutre I am already satsified - I even do not know if I will try to improve this.

Edit: Forgot one thing to mention I also was surprised to see: Dust and little flys (flies?) floating around in the jungle. Never noticed that on my dim 1070. Edit End

On the other hand I have some problems with the HDR picture with my HTPC und MadVR.

But that is not the LK990 fault I guess, it just does not work like my 1070 did.

I also do have a Xbox One X and will try 4K HDR with the LK990 to see how it performs there.

So I will spend much time to figure out the best settings the next days...

Overall picture quality is amazing and a welcome improvement for me.
Thanks for the update. BTW: What 3d Glasses are you using? I know BenQ has the DGD5 model that I assume works. But I also understand other brands will too.
post #580 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 491 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked: 6635
Hoping the Xpand 105's work over here... I am guessing its 3D emitter is built in unlike some other brands.
tnaik4 likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #581 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Anyone know if it does 60P 4K HDR anamorphic stretch? Seems most of the streaming services are doing this now days.

Pioneer SC-95, Axiom M80, VP180 Dual EP500 all V4. ISCO III, RS540 + Stewart Cima Neve 133
post #582 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:

So I dont have this projector yet, but I do have experience with ALR screens. My last house I used an Epson 5040ub and an ALR screen in my living room and was absolutely blown away by my Dark Energy screen.

https://imgur.com/a/jHrpV this is when I had the 5030, a white screen could NEVER have produced those colors in the middle fo the day with a door and windows open right next to it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/qYO9g here is a comparison showing the projector in different light modes with different amounts of ambient light.

I loved my Dark Energy screen and would sing their praises all day everyday to any and everyone.
post #583 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Hoping the Xpand 105's work over here... I am guessing its 3D emitter is built in unlike some other brands.
Xpands x102 dlp link glasses looks like crap with dlp link, they don't block the flash properly - I tried em, washed out picture. But the 105s are rf so they won't work at all with this PJ

You need to get Optoma zd302 glasses for proper 3d with this projector, cheap on Amazon. Excellent picture quality and sync:
Optoma ZD302 DLP Link Active Shutter 3D Glasses https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O394RQC..._Ek.OCbNPCBZ1X

Last edited by Ruined; 04-02-2019 at 04:42 PM.
post #584 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Xpands x102 dlp link glasses looks like crap with dlp link, they don't block the flash properly - I tried em, washed out picture. But the 105s are rf so they won't work at all with this PJ

You need to get Optoma zd302 glasses for proper 3d with this projector, cheap on Amazon. Excellent picture quality and sync:
Optoma ZD302 DLP Link Active Shutter 3D Glasses https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O394RQC..._Ek.OCbNPCBZ1X
Thats a bummer. Those optima glasses are ugly and the sides are open. I hate that.

What about these:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Ultra-Clea...tronics&sr=1-8

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #585 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thats a bummer. Those optima glasses are ugly and the sides are open. I hate that.

What about these:

If you don't like the open design you are best off getting a pair of Optoma ZD201, that's actually what I use and have 10 pairs of, it's my favorite design. They are no longer in production though so it will cost more:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F253591377468

https://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all

Some the cheaper noname brands don't properly block the dlp link flash like the xpands so you get that same washed out look.. or they have bad sync... never know what you're gonna get with that.
post #586 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12543 Post(s)
Liked: 10160
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Unless you need the extra gain for brightness it's never wise to go higher than 1.0 gain for DLP (0.9 is actually ideal IMO) as you really don't want to amplify DLP black floor unless absolutely necessary
Yep and you can't just look at gain and say one is high gain and another is low gain. For example ALR screens may sound like low gain screens, but you have to consider the base material gain. If the base material starts at 0.6 gain and optical coating bring it up to 1.0 gain, that is a lot higher increase than a 1.0 screen getting increased to 1.3. This is why you see longer throw requirements for ALR screens.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #587 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5378 Post(s)
Liked: 5712
Quote:

What about these:

@Javs - the BenQ 3rd gen are good DLP Link glasses

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BenQ-3D-...2/303094993977

Dave Harper and Javs like this.
post #588 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Dude you are a star, they look perfect, and I wanted exactly 2 pairs.

Awesome.
zombie10k likes this.

-
post #589 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Did even better, found em for 25 bucks! Bought 2 pairs.

https://www.computeralliance.com.au/benq-3d-glasses-for-benq-3d-dlp-projectors-save-$60
Spizz, Dave Harper and zombie10k like this.

-
post #590 of 1021 Old 04-02-2019, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:

I agree with the comments already. I think a low gain ALR, especially in your conditions could work well with the LK990.
post #591 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 09:22 AM

Hi guys - I need some advice? Is my LK990 unit bad?

Yesterday I did notice some weird colors during playback of HDR content.
So I thought it might be wrong settings with my HTPC and MadVR.
Today I did the same test with the Xbox one and the Planet Earth II HDR Disc.
But there was also "banding" (I hope it is the right word) to see.

Just at the beginning then the sun starts to fade behind the earth it was clearly visible.
See photo...

I tried now to calibrate the greyscale and played a greyscale ramp pattern.
My LK990 shows some cyan stripes!!

See photo...

None of my tweaking has had success!

My old Benq 1070 looks this way with the ramp pattern:
See photo...

So what can I do? Wrong calibration method or a hardware bug?
Edit: The cyan stripes have been there before and after calibration.

Any advice welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image2_LK990_banding02.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	2548250   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3_LK990_banding01.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	2548252   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_LK990_bad_ramp02.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	2548254   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_LK900_bad_ramp01.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	2548256   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_ramp_benq1070_ok.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	2548258  

Last edited by MCU2; 04-03-2019 at 10:03 AM.
post #592 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
BenQ LK990

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCU2 View Post
Hi guys - I need some advice? Is my LK990 unit bad?

Yesterday I did notice some weird colors during playback of HDR content.

So I thought it might be wrong settings with my HTPC and MadVR.

Today I did the same test with the Xbox one and the Planet Earth II HDR Disc.

But there was also "banding" (I hope it is the right word) to see.

Just at the beginning then the sun starts to fade behind the earth it was clearly visible.

See photo...

I tried now to calibrate the greyscale and played a greyscale ramp pattern.

My LK990 shows some cyan stripes!!

See photo...

None of my tweaking has had success!

My old Benq 1070 looks this way with the ramp pattern:

See photo...

So what can I do? Wrong calibration method or a hardware bug?

Edit: The cyan stripes have been there before and after calibration.

Any advice welcome!

I would try doing a reset to factory defaults. Make sure you write down all the settings first to have them just in case.

I’ll try to check mine tonight with a grey ramp and see what I get. I do recall getting weird things when I pushed the LK970 too hard with some settings like CMS, but that shouldn’t be the case with LK990.
post #593 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I would try doing a reset to factory defaults. Make sure you write down all the settings first to have them just in case.

I’ll try to check mine tonight with a grey ramp and see what I get. I do recall getting weird things when I pushed the LK970 too hard with some settings like CMS, but that shouldn’t be the case with LK990.
Thank you Dave!
I will try - I guess factory reset is described in the manual and I can do that via menu without any secret code?
Would be nice to see how your Lk990 performs with the grey ramp.

I did not push any settings too hard - the cyan hue was there from the start. Just to clarify.

I would not care about the gray ramp but the banding and some sort of cyan mud in the face of actors in some scences do bother me.
post #594 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 12:35 PM

So, because I am easily distracted while at work, I read literally every post in this thread from page 1, along with looking at every single screenshot in the 970 thread lolol, but there were just too many WALLS of text and that thread is so long, couldnt be taking the time needed to read all of it.

But I just wanted to write my own brief consensus from the past 2 weeks of researching projectors ranging from $5,000-40,000 (which would be the Sony VW5000, the lowest ive gotten a quote was 38, out the door), especially for people who are struggling to purchase a projector and want a completely neutral observation of what he has seen/read.

1st of all: this is almost all only useful information, if, like me, you are looking ONLY looking at Laser Projectors. (I want to move to a laser projector because lasers are cool, lamps dim, and I hate changing bulbs - set it and forget it is a major benefit of a laser that I have put a significant amount of personal value in)

If you are talking PURELY, Cost/Performance ratio - the BenQ LK970 and LK990 are just... sooooooooo far ahead in terms of absolute bang for your buck.

The harshest criticism this projector has received is "It doesnt do X as well as a projector 2-8x its cost." Which, IN CONTEXT, should not be a surprise to anyone.
The greatest compliments it has gotten, "It does some things better than those projectors that cost 4-8x more."

The screenshots from Woofer especially, with the sidexside comparisons of the Lk970 to the Z1... one of those projectors is between 4-6x more expensive than the other. And when you are talking close to $7,000 for the cheaper one, 4-6x is a LOT of money. One is also color calibrated, and has been setup and fine tuned for months, the other was tweaked and tuned in a matter of at MOST hours.

Now, if you are talking PURELY performance, and you want the best picture, and if you have a screen under 140", and if a completely light controlled room and are 100% "I want the best image possible within my budget" If your budget is higher than 10k, this projector might not be it. If its above 20k I don't believe it is it. But again, that is not a dig at the BenQ's, its more like a backhanded compliment i guess lol.

SOOOO many peoples "scales" on this website are "its either the best, or its garbage." at least In the 20,000+ and even $5000+ projector related threads. Which just simply CANNOT be true lol.

I feel like SOOOOOO many of the arguments that have blown up in these threads have just stemmed from people saying "This projector is TERRIBLE AT X" but really, what they are actually trying to say is "This projector doesnt do X as well as this other projector!" (and usually that other projector is either a bulb projector, or costs significantly more)

looking forward:

Cant wait to see what Jav can do with the LK's. A lot of people seem to respect his input and knowledge, he seems to be very much not in any specific camp.

I think that the 990 is still a bit out from being fine-tuned to the level that people have gotten their Z1s to (not that I am ever saying a LK will outperform the Z1, just saying 1 is definitely been more refined over time)

Curious to see Sonys and JVC's future offerings as IMO BenQ has set a new precedence in terms of value/performance ratio, if Sony or JVC are going to bust out new $30000+ projectors, they are going to need to have some serious advantages and improvements.

Also curious to see if people like Dave and others who see the potential of the BenQ, can get BenQ to take these projectors to be even more competitive with the Z1 or even Vw5000 while not breaking the bank. And this is something we ALL want. Giving Sony and JVC a real threat to their marketshare will only make JVC and Sony work harder to put out better products at lower prices in the future.

Sorry this got really ranty... readimg these threads could be very frustrating at times and its easy to see how people have snapped at eachother on here.

Also @Dave Harper I saw on (i think) the 970 thread, someone said they were actually using a different projector entirely for SDR content.

My favorite film series is hands down Lord of the Rings which is only on Blu Ray...but i easily rewatch that series 4-5x a year, is the 990 that bad at sdr??
Dave Harper likes this.

Last edited by Maestrosc; 04-03-2019 at 01:45 PM.
post #595 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
So, because I am easily distracted while at work, I read literally every post in this thread from page 1, along with looking at every single screenshot in the 970 thread lolol, but there were just too many WALLS of text and that thread is so long, couldnt be taking the time needed to read all of it.

But I just wanted to write my own brief consensus from the past 2 weeks of researching projectors ranging from $5,000-40,000 (which would be the Sony VW5000, the lowest ive gotten a quote was 38, out the door), especially for people who are struggling to purchase a projector and want a completely neutral observation of what he has seen/read.

1st of all: this is almost all only useful information, if, like me, you are looking ONLY looking at Laser Projectors. (I want to move to a laser projector because lasers are cool, lamps dim, and I hate changing bulbs - set it and forget it is a major benefit of a laser that I have put a significant amount of personal value in)

If you are talking PURELY, Cost/Performance ratio - the BenQ LK970 and LK990 are just... sooooooooo far ahead in terms of absolute bang for your buck.

The harshest criticism this projector has received is "It doesnt do X as well as a projector 2-8x its cost." Which, IN CONTEXT, should not be a surprise to anyone.
The greatest compliments it has gotten, "It does some things better than those projectors that cost 4-8x more."

The screenshots from Woofer especially, with the sidexside comparisons of the Lk970 to the Z1... one of those projectors is between 4-6x more expensive than the other. And when you are talking close to $7,000 for the cheaper one, 4-6x is a LOT of money. One is also color calibrated, and has been setup and fine tuned for months, the other was tweaked and tuned in a matter of at MOST hours.

Now, if you are talking PURELY performance, and you want the best picture, and if you have a screen under 140", and if a completely light controlled room and are 100% "I want the best image possible within my budget" If your budget is higher than 10k, this projector might not be it. If its above 20k I don't believe it is it. But again, that is not a dig at the BenQ's, its more like a backhanded compliment i guess lol.

SOOOO many peoples "scales" on this website are "its either the best, or its garbage." at least In the 20,000+ and even $5000+ projector related threads. Which just simply CANNOT be true lol.

I feel like SOOOOOO many of the arguments that have blown up in these threads have just stemmed from people saying "This projector is TERRIBLE AT X" but really, what they are actually trying to say is "This projector doesnt do X as well as this other projector!" (and usually that other projector is either a bulb projector, or costs significantly more)

looking forward:

Cant wait to see what Jav can do with the LK's. A lot of people seem to respect his input and knowledge, he seems to be very much not in any specific camp.

I think that the 990 is still a bit out from being fine-tuned to the level that people have gotten their Z1s to (not that I am ever saying a LK will outperform the Z1, just saying 1 is definitely been more refined over time)

Curious to see Sonys and JVC's future offerings as IMO BenQ has set a new precedence in terms of value/performance ratio, if Sony or JVC are going to bust out new $30000+ projectors, they are going to need to have some serious advantages and improvements.

Also curious to see if people like Dave and others who see the potential of the BenQ, can get BenQ to take these projectors to be even more competitive with the Z1 or even Vw5000 while not breaking the bank. And this is something we ALL want. Giving Sony and JVC a real threat to their marketshare will only make JVC and Sony work harder to put out better products at lower prices in the future.

Sorry this got really ranty... readimg these threads could be very frustrating at times and its easy to see how people have snapped at eachother on here.

Also @Dave Harper I saw on (i think) the 970 thread, someone said they were actually using a different projector entirely for SDR content.

My favorite film series is hands down Lord of the Rings which is only on Blu Ray...but i easily rewatch that series 4-5x a year, is the 990 that bad at sdr??
Yes, but it also does not do X as well as projectors that cost half as much. I will repeat, I think it will get interesting when Javs, Kris and Arrow start reporting measurements and when we start seeing side by side raw image comparisons.
post #596 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Yes, but it also does not do X as well as projectors that cost half as much. I will repeat, I think it will get interesting when Javs, Kris and Arrow start reporting measurements and when we start seeing side by side raw image comparisons.
There have already been side by side comparisons of the Z1 to the LK970 per Woofer's pictures, which were posted in multiple forums.
post #597 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
There have already been side by side comparisons of the Z1 to the LK970 per Woofer's pictures, which were posted in multiple forums.
Not calibrated and sharpening was also turned up. Also in those pictures, the low ADL scenes did not look very good. Want to know how much of Rec709 the projector can do? Also how much colorspace the projector can do with HDR.

Added
High lumen DLP's with good lenses have been around forever and have been compared to high contrast projectors, many times over the years. I want a projector that does a good job with bright scenes, dark scenes, SDR and HDR. In other words, well rounded.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 04-03-2019 at 02:58 PM.
post #598 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Mike,

You have resisted these BenQ projectors as if your livelihood depended on it. As an influencer on this forum, do you think you should disclose the financial implications of your advice here? How much money did you make selling Z1s last year? How much did you make selling BenQs? It's really tough for a newcomer on this forum to tell the difference between a salesman and hobbyist with no skin in the game, and I think that murkiness does everyone a disservice here.
post #599 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Not calibrated and sharpening was also turned up. Also in those pictures, the low ADL scenes did not look very good. Want to know how much of Rec709 the projector can do? Also how much colorspace the projector can do with HDR.

Added
High lumen DLP's with good lenses have been around forever and have been compared to high contrast projectors, many times over the years. I want a projector that does a good job with bright scenes, dark scenes, SDR and HDR. In other words, well rounded.
And I want a version of the Z1 with 2000 more lumens, at 1/3 the MSRP, with sharpness on par with the LK990.
Dave Harper, jherring69 and tnaik4 like this.

Last edited by Maestrosc; 04-03-2019 at 03:37 PM.
post #600 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Williams View Post
Mike,

You have resisted these BenQ projectors as if your livelihood depended on it. As an influencer on this forum, do you think you should disclose the financial implications of your advice here? How much money did you make selling Z1s last year? How much did you make selling BenQs? It's really tough for a newcomer on this forum to tell the difference between a salesman and hobbyist with no skin in the game, and I think that murkiness does everyone a disservice here.
Not at all. I am stating my opinion after seeing many of these machines over the years. If I thought they were better, I would own one. CEDIA has several of these type of projectors every year. Have seen DLP's with 20,000 lumens throwing HDR on screens. Bright content looks great, but low ADL content suffers. You do not realize just how much it suffers until you compare. Bdesides, do you think BenQ projectors are hard for any dealer to get? People keep saying the truth comes out, but I don't think it has yet.

Added
I am not allowed to disclose anything.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 04-03-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page