AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12541 Post(s)
Liked: 10154
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
And I want a version of the Z1 with 2000 more lumens, at 1/3 the MSRP, with sharpness on par with the LK990.
2,000 more lumens, that may happen some day.
1/3rd the MSRP, that may happen some day.
A three panel projector with the sharpness of single chip DLP, when both have good lenses, I doubt that ever happens.

I will tell you my wish list. High lumen DLP with high contrast and no RBE for 1/3rd the price of the RS4500. Also needs to do full BT2020 color space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Williams View Post
Mike,

You have resisted these BenQ projectors as if your livelihood depended on it. As an influencer on this forum, do you think you should disclose the financial implications of your advice here? How much money did you make selling Z1s last year? How much did you make selling BenQs? It's really tough for a newcomer on this forum to tell the difference between a salesman and hobbyist with no skin in the game, and I think that murkiness does everyone a disservice here.
Hi, Doug. I am very interested in the BenQs too. But keep in mind that even if someone has a horse in the race that doesn't automatically mean it isn't a thoroughbred.

I've seen the new JVC NX9 and it looks fantastic from its brightly lit sharpness all the way down to its deep blacks.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #603 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Hi, Doug. I am very interested in the BenQs too. But keep in mind that even if someone has a horse in the race that doesn't automatically mean it isn't a thoroughbred.

I've seen the new JVC NX9 and it looks fantastic from its brightly lit sharpness all the way down to its deep blacks.
Not really a fitting analogy to the situation tho...

The problem is, if 2 people are selling horses, you would be a fool to listening to what guy selling horse #2 says about horse #1 .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Not really a fitting analogy to the situation tho...

The problem is, if 2 people are selling horses, you would be a fool to listening to what guy selling horse #2 says about horse #1 .
Your analogy is flawed. It would be more along the lines of a guy having two horses and advising you which horse was the better horse for your purpose. One horse might be a race horse, the other a stable horse. The recommendation would vary, depending on the need. If a buyer came in looking to buy a horse to race with, he would get one recommendation. If a buyer came in looking for a horse for his daughter to ride for fun, a different recommendation would be made.

Just like if you told me you wanted a 150" wide image using a 1.0 gain screen and your budget was under 10K, then I would recommend something along the lines of the 990, but would still feel the need to talk about the possibility of RBE and it's low ADL performance.
post #605 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
So, because I am easily distracted while at work, I read literally every post in this thread from page 1, along with looking at every single screenshot in the 970 thread lolol, but there were just too many WALLS of text and that thread is so long, couldnt be taking the time needed to read all of it.

But I just wanted to write my own brief consensus from the past 2 weeks of researching projectors ranging from $5,000-40,000 (which would be the Sony VW5000, the lowest ive gotten a quote was 38, out the door), especially for people who are struggling to purchase a projector and want a completely neutral observation of what he has seen/read.

1st of all: this is almost all only useful information, if, like me, you are looking ONLY looking at Laser Projectors. (I want to move to a laser projector because lasers are cool, lamps dim, and I hate changing bulbs - set it and forget it is a major benefit of a laser that I have put a significant amount of personal value in)

If you are talking PURELY, Cost/Performance ratio - the BenQ LK970 and LK990 are just... sooooooooo far ahead in terms of absolute bang for your buck.

The harshest criticism this projector has received is "It doesnt do X as well as a projector 2-8x its cost." Which, IN CONTEXT, should not be a surprise to anyone.
The greatest compliments it has gotten, "It does some things better than those projectors that cost 4-8x more."

The screenshots from Woofer especially, with the sidexside comparisons of the Lk970 to the Z1... one of those projectors is between 4-6x more expensive than the other. And when you are talking close to $7,000 for the cheaper one, 4-6x is a LOT of money. One is also color calibrated, and has been setup and fine tuned for months, the other was tweaked and tuned in a matter of at MOST hours.

Now, if you are talking PURELY performance, and you want the best picture, and if you have a screen under 140", and if a completely light controlled room and are 100% "I want the best image possible within my budget" If your budget is higher than 10k, this projector might not be it. If its above 20k I don't believe it is it. But again, that is not a dig at the BenQ's, its more like a backhanded compliment i guess lol.

SOOOO many peoples "scales" on this website are "its either the best, or its garbage." at least In the 20,000+ and even $5000+ projector related threads. Which just simply CANNOT be true lol.

I feel like SOOOOOO many of the arguments that have blown up in these threads have just stemmed from people saying "This projector is TERRIBLE AT X" but really, what they are actually trying to say is "This projector doesnt do X as well as this other projector!" (and usually that other projector is either a bulb projector, or costs significantly more)

looking forward:

Cant wait to see what Jav can do with the LK's. A lot of people seem to respect his input and knowledge, he seems to be very much not in any specific camp.

I think that the 990 is still a bit out from being fine-tuned to the level that people have gotten their Z1s to (not that I am ever saying a LK will outperform the Z1, just saying 1 is definitely been more refined over time)

Curious to see Sonys and JVC's future offerings as IMO BenQ has set a new precedence in terms of value/performance ratio, if Sony or JVC are going to bust out new $30000+ projectors, they are going to need to have some serious advantages and improvements.

Also curious to see if people like Dave and others who see the potential of the BenQ, can get BenQ to take these projectors to be even more competitive with the Z1 or even Vw5000 while not breaking the bank. And this is something we ALL want. Giving Sony and JVC a real threat to their marketshare will only make JVC and Sony work harder to put out better products at lower prices in the future.

Sorry this got really ranty... readimg these threads could be very frustrating at times and its easy to see how people have snapped at eachother on here.

Also @Dave Harper I saw on (i think) the 970 thread, someone said they were actually using a different projector entirely for SDR content.

My favorite film series is hands down Lord of the Rings which is only on Blu Ray...but i easily rewatch that series 4-5x a year, is the 990 that bad at sdr??
I m the guy who has a JVC for sdr , but not because i dont like the Lk970, its because i already had the jvc when i bought the BenQ and deicded to keep both since i like 3D and the LK doesnt do that. But since ive seen HDR on the 970 i m only getting HDR movies, its just that good, i dont really mind if the black level isnt the best and that is supposed to be better on the 990 but everything else is just excellent.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #606 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Not calibrated and sharpening was also turned up. Also in those pictures, the low ADL scenes did not look very good. Want to know how much of Rec709 the projector can do? Also how much colorspace the projector can do with HDR.

Added
High lumen DLP's with good lenses have been around forever and have been compared to high contrast projectors, many times over the years. I want a projector that does a good job with bright scenes, dark scenes, SDR and HDR. In other words, well rounded.
Woofer never touched the sharpness, that's how it was out of the box.

Keep sliding those little negative jabs in there though, you're doing really well...
Dave Harper, Archibald1 and tnaik4 like this.
post #607 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Your analogy is flawed. It would be more along the lines of a guy having two horses and advising you which horse was the better horse for your purpose. One horse might be a race horse, the other a stable horse. The recommendation would vary, depending on the need. If a buyer came in looking to buy a horse to race with, he would get one recommendation. If a buyer came in looking for a horse for his daughter to ride for fun, a different recommendation would be made.

Just like if you told me you wanted a 150" wide image using a 1.0 gain screen and your budget was under 10K, then I would recommend something along the lines of the 990, but would still feel the need to talk about the possibility of RBE and it's low ADL performance.
See, your final sentence, is why any/everyone should take your comments with a grain of salt.

Even when the quote is literally about horses, you feel required to throw in a jab at the performance of an LK990 for NO REASON lol.

You couldnt just say "If this was your budget and your requirements, then look at the LK990". You HAD to finish with "but let me point out some flaws, that I have already stated in literally every other post in this thread."

And no, your analogy is still bogus, because I wouldnt bother asking a guy who sells race horses, what he thinks about a trail horse that Im buying from someone else, especially when his recommendation is "Actually, the trail horse is only good for long distance slow paced trail riding, I think you should consider this race horse I am selling." Especially when the guy selling race horses isnt even comfortable enough with his race horse in saying "That trail horse is perfect in some situations." full stop.

Instead the race horse salesmen says "The trail horse is perfectly acceptable, if all you want is a slow paced trail horse that isnt very fast and is inferior to my race horse overall."

In every single one of your posts, you will repeat shortcomings of the LK990, but I don't see you reiterate the shortcomings of the Z1 in every single post you make? Its about informing the customers right? What are the margin differences between the LK990 and the 3 year old Z1? If its all about sharing as much information as possible, lets get to it.

I am sure you are going to say your reason for reiterating the LK990s weaknesses is "in the name of full disclosure ofcourse!" Then go both ways with it, is all that people ask and why SOO MANY people point out the bias people have on this site, usually coming from people being *OBVIOUSLY* bias in favor of products that THEY SELL.
post #608 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
I m the guy who has a JVC for sdr , but not because i dont like the Lk970, its because i already had the jvc when i bought the BenQ and deicded to keep both since i like 3D and the LK doesnt do that. But since ive seen HDR on the 970 i m only getting HDR movies, its just that good, i dont really mind if the black level isnt the best and that is supposed to be better on the 990 but everything else is just excellent.
Thought it was your post in the 970 thread, but ive been on all of these threads so many times, its hard to keep track of it all lol.

With a HTPC, Lumagem, or even the 820 upscaling though, this should be bringing even standard blu-ray up to HDR levels or am I completely mistaken?
post #609 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Don't get discouraged Doug. I think the key is that as more data comes out you will be able to make an informed decision on what unit suits you best. There are just so many factors it is hard to say that there is one best unit. Your screen size, viewing environment and content may drive you toward a certain unit. I would say there are now members with multiple units of different technologies that can provide a solid opinion on what works best in certain situations.

Quote:
Mike,

You have resisted these BenQ projectors as if your livelihood depended on it. As an influencer on this forum, do you think you should disclose the financial implications of your advice here? How much money did you make selling Z1s last year? How much did you make selling BenQs? It's really tough for a newcomer on this forum to tell the difference between a salesman and hobbyist with no skin in the game, and I think that murkiness does everyone a disservice here.
Mike Garrett, Maestrosc and tnaik4 like this.
post #610 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
I swiped an image posted by another user showing a 990 capture above and an RS540 capture below from a scene around the same timestamp. It's not even the same frame and is clearly not meant as a controlled comparison, but do you feel it roughly captures the differences in image character and presentation between the two projectors?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucy_Top-LK990_Bottom-RS540.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	2548598  
post #611 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Thought it was your post in the 970 thread, but ive been on all of these threads so many times, its hard to keep track of it all lol.

With a HTPC, Lumagem, or even the 820 upscaling though, this should be bringing even standard blu-ray up to HDR levels or am I completely mistaken?
Yes specially with madvr and its excellent upscaler, the thing is these projectors are so sharp and clear u can see the difference right away with a good 4k disc so i tend to buy the 4k if availablr.
Dave Harper likes this.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #612 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siener View Post
I swiped an image posted by another user showing a 990 capture above and an RS540 capture below from a scene around the same timestamp. It's not even the same frame and is clearly not meant as a controlled comparison, but do you feel it roughly captures the differences in image character and presentation between the two projectors?
I think both projectors here can use some calibrations, if u want tomorrow i can take that exact pic with my 970 and my jvc both calibrated with 3DLUT so can check the diferences.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #613 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
I think both projectors here can use some calibrations, if u want tomorrow i can take that exact pic with my 970 and my jvc both calibrated with 3DLUT so can check the diferences.
Yes, that would be be very helpful to me and to others who are seriously looking at this projector. I was thinking the images show a big difference in dimensionality and was wondering if that bears out in your experience.
post #614 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
See, your final sentence, is why any/everyone should take your comments with a grain of salt.

Even when the quote is literally about horses, you feel required to throw in a jab at the performance of an LK990 for NO REASON lol.

You couldnt just say "If this was your budget and your requirements, then look at the LK990". You HAD to finish with "but let me point out some flaws, that I have already stated in literally every other post in this thread."

And no, your analogy is still bogus, because I wouldnt bother asking a guy who sells race horses, what he thinks about a trail horse that Im buying from someone else, especially when his recommendation is "Actually, the trail horse is only good for long distance slow paced trail riding, I think you should consider this race horse I am selling." Especially when the guy selling race horses isnt even comfortable enough with his race horse in saying "That trail horse is perfect in some situations." full stop.

Instead the race horse salesmen says "The trail horse is perfectly acceptable, if all you want is a slow paced trail horse that isnt very fast and is inferior to my race horse overall."

In every single one of your posts, you will repeat shortcomings of the LK990, but I don't see you reiterate the shortcomings of the Z1 in every single post you make? Its about informing the customers right? What are the margin differences between the LK990 and the 3 year old Z1? If its all about sharing as much information as possible, lets get to it.

I am sure you are going to say your reason for reiterating the LK990s weaknesses is "in the name of full disclosure ofcourse!" Then go both ways with it, is all that people ask and why SOO MANY people point out the bias people have on this site, usually coming from people being *OBVIOUSLY* bias in favor of products that THEY SELL.
So I should only talk about the positives. What happens when a guy gets the projector and is unhappy because of the RBE and I don't tell him about it. I do the same thing with JVC, Sony and Epson when a guy tells me he wants to use a large low gain screen. I warn them about the lumens and HDR. Back when JVC had bad ghosting in 3D, I told people about the ghosting. Have always talked to people about E-shift noise. Did that today in fact. You should always talk about the positives and the negatives. If you don't, a lot more people will be returning their projectors. I generally tell people the positives and the negatives, make recommendations and calculate the screen brightness and let them make their own mind. And yes, I have recommended the BenQ to customers, telling them it was their best option.

The negatives on the RS4500 have been discussed in the thread and none of the owners there dispute or argue the points. The 4500 has quite a bit of fan noise in high laser (especially if you let it get hot, could use more contrast, more brightness, better tone mapping and the ability to do full panel width for DCR lens. Some complain about the size and weight, but I have less issue with that, but can be a fit problem for some. All projectors have their negatives and I always talk about them. It is my job to do so. Look at Marmon1, he says the 4500 has the minimum black level that he is willing to live with. Yet not one owner argues with him. Also the 4500 has been measured, so the calibrated lumens are know. The native contrast and dynamic contrast has been measured. The color space has been measured. Not to much to speculate about the 4500.

Even the new JVC's are far from perfect. They will do the anamorphic function for scope using the DCR lens, but the 16:9 shrink is off about 6%. They also have a gamma problem causing some yellowing in certain situations with the dynamic iris, though I think this will be corrected by firmware. The DCR problem will not be corrected by firmware. The native contrast on the new models is lower than the older models.

Once again, this does not make sense. There is no such thing as only a Sony dealer, only a JVC dealer or only a BenQ dealer. Most dealers sell all of these brands.

Every projector I have seen has drawbacks, but I will say the closest projector to perfect that I have read about is a DLP. It has high brightness, fantastic lens and high native contrast. I just can't afford it, nor do I have room or cooling for it. But really looking forward to when this technology gets down to reasonable price points.
markmon1 and Reddig like this.
post #615 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GAGE View Post
Don't get discouraged Doug. I think the key is that as more data comes out you will be able to make an informed decision on what unit suits you best. There are just so many factors it is hard to say that there is one best unit. Your screen size, viewing environment and content may drive you toward a certain unit. I would say there are now members with multiple units of different technologies that can provide a solid opinion on what works best in certain situations.
Good post. I agree.
post #616 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 491 Post(s)
Quoted: 6925 Post(s)
Liked: 6633
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztheatre View Post
Woofer never touched the sharpness, that's how it was out of the box.

Keep sliding those little negative jabs in there though, you're doing really well...
The JVC comes with pretty unacceptable sharpening settings out of the box though. I saw lots of artefacts in Pauls screenshots and we spoke privately about it. It probably comes pretty cranked.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #617 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siener View Post
Those are definately not even remotely comparable. The colour and gamma is miles apart. The JVC image is actually the correct one out of the two anyway.
chirpie, Craig Peer and Archibald1 like this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #618 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6986 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
Quote:
Mike,

Doug, Mike and I are hobbyist first, and we can own any projector we want. I base my opinions on 17 years of hobbyist experience and less than that many years industry experience. I haven't seen these BenQ's yet, so I'm not going to offer any opinion ( anyone have one in Northern California to look at ? ). We have seen plenty of projectors at Cedia. I've seen $80K single chip DLP laser projectors brighter than these. And anyone that can sell Sony / Epson / JVC / SIM2 / Digital Projection and Optoma can sell BenQ - just FYI. Also, I should point out the the RS4500 / VW885 / VW995 etc. are in the "money no object " projector class. There not aimed at folks buying these BenQ' any more than a Ferrari is aimed at soccer moms. Also, we all have skin in the game - my home theater built over 10 years is the skin. Tens of thousands of dollars of skin. now if you will excuse me, I'm going to go watch a movie.

Carry on.
Frohlich and Reddig like this.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #619 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1424 Post(s)
Liked: 2231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
The JVC comes with pretty unacceptable sharpening settings out of the box though.
I think you mean the BenQ ?? The Z1 at default has the MPC settings at 0 ..
post #620 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
The JVC comes with pretty unacceptable sharpening settings out of the box though. I saw lots of artefacts in Pauls screenshots and we spoke privately about it. It probably comes pretty cranked.
You mean the BenQ? Yes it may be cranked up out of the box but he never added to it.

Either way, as good, close to, or even better, it's not 40 grand, that's the whole point, is price vs performance. You can get a BenQ + 4WD and travel trailer for the same price as the Z1.... just sayin'...

Can't wait to hear your thoughts when you get it up and running. Had Matt from BenQ here today actually the mob at cogworks are now finished with the 990 so you should see it soon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hahaha.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	2548672  
post #621 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=woofer;57851558]
Quote:
The JVC comes with pretty unacceptable sharpening settings out of the box though.

I think you mean the BenQ ?? The Z1 at default has the MPC settings at 0 ..
Nope I am talking about the previous JVC's. I've not seen a Z1.

-
post #622 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztheatre View Post

Can't wait to hear your thoughts when you get it up and running. Had Matt from BenQ here today actually the mob at cogworks are now finished with the 990 so you should see it soon
Good stuff.

-
post #623 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2059 Post(s)
Liked: 2270
I did a search and couldn't find any lag time data. From memory, I think the Benq generally don't have a low lag mode and I think measure over 60MS (in general for the line-up). Anybody know or measure lag yet on the lk 990?
post #624 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
I did a search and couldn't find any lag time data. From memory, I think the Benq generally don't have a low lag mode and I think measure over 60MS (in general for the line-up). Anybody know or measure lag yet on the lk 990?
I thought I remember reading 66ms, but not sure?
Frohlich likes this.
post #625 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
64.5ms
Frohlich likes this.
post #626 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I am not allowed to disclose anything.

???

I don't really think this is about brand loyalty. It's the price point that concerns you. If you get a guy to spend $25k on a projector, you'll have a much easier time getting him to spend another $10k-$20k on other equipment than if he bought a $7k projector. I don't blame you for doing damage control to protect your bottom line. I just think this forum should have higher ethical standards than Instagram with regards to disclosures.
Maestrosc and Archibald1 like this.
post #627 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
There not aimed at folks buying these BenQ' any more than a Ferrari is aimed at soccer moms.

More analogies! Is the BenQ a minivan? But doesn't this minivan out perform the Ferrari in the straighaways? And why talk about Ferraris when yall are clearly the Corvette type?

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed your movie.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #628 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Doug, Mike and I are hobbyist first, and we can own any projector we want. I base my opinions on 17 years of hobbyist experience and less than that many years industry experience. I haven't seen these BenQ's yet, so I'm not going to offer any opinion ( anyone have one in Northern California to look at ? ). We have seen plenty of projectors at Cedia. I've seen $80K single chip DLP laser projectors brighter than these. And anyone that can sell Sony / Epson / JVC / SIM2 / Digital Projection and Optoma can sell BenQ - just FYI. Also, I should point out the the RS4500 / VW885 / VW995 etc. are in the "money no object " projector class. There not aimed at folks buying these BenQ' any more than a Ferrari is aimed at soccer moms. Also, we all have skin in the game - my home theater built over 10 years is the skin. Tens of thousands of dollars of skin. now if you will excuse me, I'm going to go watch a movie.

Carry on.
What?

As someone who has been looking at the LK990, the VW5000, and the RS4500... I guess I am just a unicorn??

Pretty sure 99% of the comparisons of this thread have been comparing the RS4500 TO the LK990, whenever trying to downplay its display??

Unless your point was that, the RS4500, VW885, and VW995 are terrible projectors in terms of money per performance, I cant really understand your point? Was your point that people who buy these projectors have more money than sense and that these projectors values have nothing to do with their actual performance or performance increases?

Or was your point that people who buy the BenQ projectors are soccer moms, while RS4500 owners are ferrari owners?

But I guess if I spent ferrari money, and someone was able to compete with me in a street race in their mini van id be pretty pissy about it too. (but to be clear, your Rs4500 is more like a chrysler 300 at best, at least do a decent analogy in terms of prices)

But I guess randomly deciding to yourself what price points are for what people, is one way to randomly feel special about yourself and look down upon the lowly peasants who dont want to overpay for a 3 yr old projector at a ridiculous markup.

Also, yes you CAN sell BenQ, but something tells me the reason their 7k projector is being compared to your 30k one, is because the 7k one doesnt have a 60% markup... I wonder which projectors' margins are more beneficial for a projector salesman ?

Quote:
More analogies! Is the BenQ a minivan? But doesn't this minivan out perform the Ferrari in the straighaways? And why talk about Ferraris when yall are clearly the Corvette type?

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed your movie.
**cough** more like chrysler 300 pretending to be a phantom **cough** until an actual phantom drive by...

Also, you can now see why guys who have NO INTEREST in buying/selling this projector, spend so much time coming to the thread of a projector that they have never seen, never owned, with no intention of ever buying, just to repeatedly state the same negative points of this projector...

@Doug Williams as someone also researching a projector purchase, for my measly $50,000 theater room, I 100% can afford the VW5000 or the RS4500, but just because I can afford something, doesnt mean its a good purchase for its price. Not all of us looking at the BenQ are minivan soccermom peasants.

ffs.

Good to see you are quickly learning the agendas and fake news of these boards, its a real ****ing hassle to figure out what information is actually useful on here.

Last edited by Maestrosc; 04-03-2019 at 10:07 PM.
post #629 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 10:20 PM

I meant Corvette as the preferred vehicle of old men with bad taste, but your Chrysler 300 made me laugh. This thread is a fun mix of compromised opinions, elitism born from consumer electronics, and an interesting new projector.
post #630 of 1021 Old 04-03-2019, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
What?

Also, yes you CAN sell BenQ, but something tells me the reason their 7k projector is being compared to your 30k one, is because the 7k one doesnt have a 60% markup... I wonder which projectors' margins are more beneficial for a projector salesman ?

Let's be real here... if the BenQ 990 turns out to be the hidden holy grail of under $10k projectors (and even beats out 20-30k projectors) word of mouth will spread. Once that happens, you can bet Mike and others will be selling them. At that point, the 30k projector markup will be a moot point because .. first of all, there aren't many who are willing/able to shell out that much to begin with, and 2nd if sales slow down, dealers will be saying to JVC "hey guys, you need to lower your prices or produce something better, BenQ is beginning to kill you".

The photos do show these things are really sharp... what I'm not sure of/convinced of yet, is how good it actually looks in dark scenes. I've seen a few images that look great, some look pretty bad. Someone posted a pic of banding (which could be a defective unit) but what stood out to me more than the banding was a really gray-black on that Planet Earth image. Was that a more accurate representation of the darks, or did the camera make it look worse, or was it a settings issue, a camera issue? Who knows... as more people get this, we'll get a better idea..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page