BenQ LK990 - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 764Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 960 Old 04-03-2019, 11:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Steve Siener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Those are definately not even remotely comparable. The colour and gamma is miles apart. The JVC image is actually the correct one out of the two anyway.
That’s funny because, fix the colors on the 990 and I’ll take that any day of the week. It’s just so much more palpable than the flat, lifeless, “correct” image below it. I don’t possess the sophistication of most folks on here, but what occurs to me is that some picture characteristics are difficult to measure with our current instruments and techniques, and some folks coming from a particularly rigid standpoint of “objectivity” (i.e., if it can’t be measured it’s not important/relevant) are finding these factors hard to acknowledge and accept.
Dave Harper and Archibald1 like this.
Steve Siener is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 01:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,505
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Williams View Post
Mike,


You have resisted these BenQ projectors as if your livelihood depended on it. As an influencer on this forum, do you think you should disclose the financial implications of your advice here? How much money did you make selling Z1s last year? How much did you make selling BenQs? It's really tough for a newcomer on this forum to tell the difference between a salesman and hobbyist with no skin in the game, and I think that murkiness does everyone a disservice here.
It's possible for people to disagree with something without being influenced by financial gain. FYI, Mike can sell Benq also. I got a price quote on the LK970 from him before buying Dave's. I guess that should pretty well torpedo that and perhaps we can finally put this one argument to rest.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.

Last edited by markmon1; 04-04-2019 at 01:29 AM.
markmon1 is offline  
post #633 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 01:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,505
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
I think you mean the BenQ ?? The Z1 at default has the MPC settings at 0 ..
All mine came default at (5,2,0) - 5 for enhance, 2 for noise reduction. I had to then set them to 0

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #634 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 01:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,505
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Williams View Post
???


I don't really think this is about brand loyalty. It's the price point that concerns you. If you get a guy to spend $25k on a projector, you'll have a much easier time getting him to spend another $10k-$20k on other equipment than if he bought a $7k projector. I don't blame you for doing damage control to protect your bottom line. I just think this forum should have higher ethical standards than Instagram with regards to disclosures.
This is also nonsense. A guy that only spends $7k on a projector has more money left over for "other gear" than the guy that spent $25k on the projector.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #635 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 4,355
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1972 Post(s)
Liked: 2151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post

I thought I remember reading 66ms, but not sure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgolf View Post
64.5ms
Thank you both. Kind of takes out of the realm of possibility for me since I am an avid gamer. It does appear to have a lot of strengths.
Frohlich is online now  
post #636 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 04:15 AM
Member
 
MCU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Bratwurstgürtel
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post
Let's be real here... if the BenQ 990 turns out to be the hidden holy grail of under $10k projectors (and even beats out 20-30k projectors) word of mouth will spread. Once that happens, you can bet Mike and others will be selling them. At that point, the 30k projector markup will be a moot point because .. first of all, there aren't many who are willing/able to shell out that much to begin with, and 2nd if sales slow down, dealers will be saying to JVC "hey guys, you need to lower your prices or produce something better, BenQ is beginning to kill you".



The photos do show these things are really sharp... what I'm not sure of/convinced of yet, is how good it actually looks in dark scenes. I've seen a few images that look great, some look pretty bad. Someone posted a pic of banding (which could be a defective unit) but what stood out to me more than the banding was a really gray-black on that Planet Earth image. Was that a more accurate representation of the darks, or did the camera make it look worse, or was it a settings issue, a camera issue? Who knows... as more people get this, we'll get a better idea..



That was me. And now I can say my unit is defective.
Factory reset (again thank you Dave) did not do any good.
The cyan stripes (see picture) are still there. I am in contact with BenQ now.


The irony is that my first test was Avatar 3D and the Navi are cyan colored so I did not notice.
Planet Earth II also do not show people that much. So I was kind of staggered to see these ugly flesh tones (see holiday picture defective LK990 and origin (screen cap EIZO monitor) )


I think there is no doubt the unit is broken and it must be changed.


Ah ja - the gray black on the Planet Erath picture was overexposed to show the banding. I also did a check with my Panasonic 4K HDR TV to see how the disc performs on that. The dark circle showing up around the sun of the LK990 (I think my LK just ads the cyan color at this point ) did not show up.
But blacks are not my problem with this LK990!


Therfore I hope to tell in the next weeks, that I am a happy Lk990 owner...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_benqLK990_cyan_overload.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	2548764   Click image for larger version

Name:	origin_camera_source.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	685.8 KB
ID:	2548766   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_LK990_cyan_stripes.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	2548768  
Archibald1 likes this.
MCU2 is offline  
post #637 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Desert Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Question about this projector for our situation. I am currently using a BenQ W7500 (lol, it just died last night) that I purchased in early 2015. I've owned 2 previous BenQ projectors so I am happy with the BenQ picture. We use the projector in our living (great) room. Projector is wall mounted and sits 26 feet back from the screen (no choice for this location). I also use a DaLite HP 1.3 gain screen measuring 78 x 139. Yes, it's a huge screen but we love it. We sit about 15 feet back from the screen. We can make the room totally dark but honestly there is generally some light. Sunlight washes out the screen. Over the past few years, we've enjoyed the light power and picture quality of the 7500.

I use a home theater computer (I built it with quality components) exclusively for content. Software is J.River Media Center (which incorporates MadVR). Blu Ray movies copied to my hard drive or Netflix/Amazon Prime streaming.

This seems like the correct projector upgrade for me. Thoughts?

Thanks, Marcus
Desert Pilot is offline  
post #638 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 07:03 AM
Senior Member
 
SaulP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Doug, Mike and I are hobbyist first, and we can own any projector we want. I base my opinions on 17 years of hobbyist experience and less than that many years industry experience. I haven't seen these BenQ's yet, so I'm not going to offer any opinion ( anyone have one in Northern California to look at ? ). We have seen plenty of projectors at Cedia. I've seen $80K single chip DLP laser projectors brighter than these. And anyone that can sell Sony / Epson / JVC / SIM2 / Digital Projection and Optoma can sell BenQ - just FYI. Also, I should point out the the RS4500 / VW885 / VW995 etc. are in the "money no object " projector class. There not aimed at folks buying these BenQ' any more than a Ferrari is aimed at soccer moms. Also, we all have skin in the game - my home theater built over 10 years is the skin. Tens of thousands of dollars of skin. now if you will excuse me, I'm going to go watch a movie.

Carry on.
You may very well be hobbyists, and everyone has the right to an opinion - even, I suppose, if that opinion is not well informed because the person expressing it has not actually seen the product first hand. However, if a “hobbyist” also has a financial axe to grind because they sell certain brands and not others (Or even simply get better margins from some brands than others), that “hobbyist” should disclose that financial stake openly and every time. It’s not just a matter of good business ethics but failing to do so could open the “hobbyist”, his/her business and possibly even the manufacture of the products they are pushing up to legal exposure.

You and Mike and others have an outsized influence on this forum because of your experience and your professional familiarity with the products you sell. So dilletantes, like myself, really count on your openness.
Archibald1 likes this.
SaulP is online now  
post #639 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 07:06 AM
Member
 
MCU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Bratwurstgürtel
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulP View Post
Thanks for the update. BTW: What 3d Glasses are you using? I know BenQ has the DGD5 model that I assume works. But I also understand other brands will too.



Hallo,



I just forgot zu answer your question. My LK990 needed much attention.
I tried several 3D glasses with my Benq W1070 and ended up here: https://www.hi-shock.de/en
They have both DLP Link light and little bit heavier with blinker. I used them with Avatar 3D for testing. Nothing to complain.
MCU2 is offline  
post #640 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,554
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11822 Post(s)
Liked: 9353
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Williams View Post
???


I don't really think this is about brand loyalty. It's the price point that concerns you. If you get a guy to spend $25k on a projector, you'll have a much easier time getting him to spend another $10k-$20k on other equipment than if he bought a $7k projector. I don't blame you for doing damage control to protect your bottom line. I just think this forum should have higher ethical standards than Instagram with regards to disclosures.
Really??? The number of people on AVS that buy 25K projectors is small compared to the number of people that buy under 7k projectors. On AVS, 90% or more of the market is 10k and less. Most people shopping in the 7k range are not looking at 25k range projectors and most shopping at 25k are not looking at 7k projectors. If you are talking profit driven, then a dealer that sold JVC and Sony would never recommend a JVC projector over a Sony.

Also I am not saying to compare the 990 to a 25k projector. I say compare it to a high contrast projector at the same price point. Two people have compared the RS2000 with the 990 in the same room on the same screen and both had the same conclusion and yet people here want to ignore it or discount it, yet no one else has done the comparison. If you compare the RS2000 to the RS4500 and bring cost into the comparison, the RS2000 would be favored every time. Same goes for the VW695 vs the VW5000, if talking picture quality. What big advantage does the 990 have over the Wolf TFX-1100 or the DPI insight laser 8K? I know the DPI is a 3-chip, but it still has low native contrast. While I have not seen the the 990, I have seen these two. I never saw RBE on my Marantz and Planar DLP's that I owned, but I sure did on the laser TFX-1100. Which really surprised me, because I almost never see RBE on a DLP.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #641 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,554
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11822 Post(s)
Liked: 9353
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulP View Post
You may very well be hobbyists, and everyone has the right to an opinion - even, I suppose, if that opinion is not well informed because the person expressing it has not actually seen the product first hand. However, if a “hobbyist” also has a financial axe to grind because they sell certain brands and not others (Or even simply get better margins from some brands than others), that “hobbyist” should disclose that financial stake openly and every time. It’s not just a matter of good business ethics but failing to do so could open the “hobbyist”, his/her business and possibly even the manufacture of the products they are pushing up to legal exposure.

You and Mike and others have an outsized influence on this forum because of your experience and your professional familiarity with the products you sell. So dilletantes, like myself, really count on your openness.


Have not seen the specific product being discussed, but have seen several products that were similar. All of these single chip DLP's have two traits in common, great sharpness and poor native contrast. No one complains about the sharpness, even though it is pixel shifting, because it can exceed some of the native 4K projectors. The contrast, some are okay with it and many are not. I happen to be in the camp that is not okay with it. My room is a black pit with floor to ceiling black velvet on front wall and side walls. Have partially black velvet back wall and most of my ceiling is covered with black cloth sound panels and black velvet. I do not have a single equipment LED lit in my room when watching a movie.

I would be fine, doing what you asked, if I could, but I would also then be gone forever.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #642 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 07:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Looks like this kind of color banding is a common problem on these LK970/990s.

I had the same color banding issue (mostly in cyan and blue as well) with my LK970, and I returned it. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57802780

Another LK990 owner anthony had the same issue as well, and he also returned it. Benq said it's because there is something wrong with the color wheel. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57820572


Quote:
Originally Posted by MCU2 View Post
That was me. And now I can say my unit is defective.
Factory reset (again thank you Dave) did not do any good.
The cyan stripes (see picture) are still there. I am in contact with BenQ now.


The irony is that my first test was Avatar 3D and the Navi are cyan colored so I did not notice.
Planet Earth II also do not show people that much. So I was kind of staggered to see these ugly flesh tones (see holiday picture defective LK990 and origin (screen cap EIZO monitor) )


I think there is no doubt the unit is broken and it must be changed.


Ah ja - the gray black on the Planet Erath picture was overexposed to show the banding. I also did a check with my Panasonic 4K HDR TV to see how the disc performs on that. The dark circle showing up around the sun of the LK990 (I think my LK just ads the cyan color at this point ) did not show up.
But blacks are not my problem with this LK990!


Therfore I hope to tell in the next weeks, that I am a happy Lk990 owner...
Jue Liang is offline  
post #643 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 08:07 AM
Member
 
MCU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Bratwurstgürtel
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue Liang View Post
Looks like this kind of color banding is a common problem on these LK970/990s.

I had the same color banding issue (mostly in cyan and blue as well) with my LK970, and I returned it. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57802780

Another LK990 owner anthony had the same issue as well, and he also returned it. Benq said it's because there is something wrong with the color wheel. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57820572

So they are shipping them around the world to see if someone does not bother...


I will see, I will give it a second chance.


Edit: Would wish the BenQ Service is responding as fast as you guys.

Last edited by MCU2; 04-04-2019 at 08:12 AM.
MCU2 is offline  
post #644 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 08:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi just tonite after saw alot discuss in here i try open and test with some setting from my HK seller
And i found this
Its normal?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tukul28 is offline  
post #645 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,787
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6617 Post(s)
Liked: 7690
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post
Let's be real here... if the BenQ 990 turns out to be the hidden holy grail of under $10k projectors (and even beats out 20-30k projectors) word of mouth will spread. Once that happens, you can bet Mike and others will be selling them. At that point, the 30k projector markup will be a moot point because .. first of all, there aren't many who are willing/able to shell out that much to begin with, and 2nd if sales slow down, dealers will be saying to JVC "hey guys, you need to lower your prices or produce something better, BenQ is beginning to kill you".



The photos do show these things are really sharp... what I'm not sure of/convinced of yet, is how good it actually looks in dark scenes. I've seen a few images that look great, some look pretty bad. Someone posted a pic of banding (which could be a defective unit) but what stood out to me more than the banding was a really gray-black on that Planet Earth image. Was that a more accurate representation of the darks, or did the camera make it look worse, or was it a settings issue, a camera issue? Who knows... as more people get this, we'll get a better idea..
If the BenQ 990 was the hidden holy grail of projectors, the US military would be using them for flight simulation projectors. They aren't - they use the Visualization Series version of the RS4500.

Posting in these BenQ threads is always a mistake. Unless you're a 100% fan, the pitchforks come out. If someone has a 990 to see in the Sacramento area, call me.
audvid likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #646 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 08:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Maestrosc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Riverside SoCal
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
If the BenQ 990 was the hidden holy grail of projectors, the US military would be using them for flight simulation projectors. They aren't - they use the Visualization Series version of the RS4500.

Posting in these BenQ threads is always a mistake. Unless you're a 100% fan, the pitchforks come out. If someone has a 990 to see in the Sacramento area, call me.
Because there has never been any bloat or sketchy contracts in the history of the US military? lolol.

The US Military is really known for its bargain hunting??



Leaving bias outside of any thread is always a better healthier approach to any thread.

Don't step in with an opinion, step out with one.

Stepping into any thread, to ONLY point out flaws, and then pop out, for NO OTHER REASON, than to point out flaws, is just a dick-move in anything.

Maybe you should just leave the BenQ threads to these poor peasant "soccer moms with minivans" budgets.
Maestrosc is offline  
post #647 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 08:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Maestrosc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Riverside SoCal
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siener View Post
That’s funny because, fix the colors on the 990 and I’ll take that any day of the week. It’s just so much more palpable than the flat, lifeless, “correct” image below it. I don’t possess the sophistication of most folks on here, but what occurs to me is that some picture characteristics are difficult to measure with our current instruments and techniques, and some folks coming from a particularly rigid standpoint of “objectivity” (i.e., if it can’t be measured it’s not important/relevant) are finding these factors hard to acknowledge and accept.
1. "Correct" as it refers to a visual art...makes no ****ing sense lol. I think he might be trying to say, that the RS4500 is giving off an image more closely resembling what the Director/editor intended, but not sure what else "correct" means.

2. agreed completely on which of the images I prefer. 1 of them has had the colors calibrated, one hasnt.

3. Again, people who have their light meters, but again, we dont watch movies with light meters, we watch with our eyes. I dont care about actual contrast, I care about perceived contrast.

and 4. Im not saying the BenQs are a holy grail, or amazing, or perfect. I am saying they have shown evidence that they can provide a comparable image to projectors 3-6x their value. The problem is then you have people who come in here (with absolutely NO interest in the projectors) to **** on it and insult anyone who likes or uses them.

Also, we are now seeing the BenQ 990s, some of them are showing up and being sent out with color wheel problems. One of which, I feel was fair to assume was obviously damaged, as pieces werent even in the right places when he opened up his brand new delivery. - But its not like the JVC N series line is smooth sailing so far in the slightest.
jherring69, Archibald1 and tnaik4 like this.
Maestrosc is offline  
post #648 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 08:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 39
You guys made me laugh. Your discussion on corvette and other cars reminded me when I bought my C7 corvette a few years ago when I just graduated.

People (mostly from car forum) kept telling me that :"corvette is poor man's porsche or ferrari. People buying 911 would not take a look at corvette, and vice versa." But the truth was I also owned some other cars (BMW M6, X5, M3, Audi S8, lexus LS460) costed as much as their porsches. I also test drove both 911 and C7, and really preferred the handling and ride of C7. Performance-wise, even thought C7 beated 911 on many tracks, those noble german car owners still try to look down upon corvettes. I eventually traded in all my germany, japaneses and american cars for two Alfa romeos, so I can sit back as a minority and happily watch those arguments between major car brands.

So, I can't agree more when you said "deciding to yourself what price points are for what people, is one way to randomly feel special about yourself and look down upon the lowly peasants ".

However, I MUST disagree that "Corvette as the preferred vehicle of old men with bad taste"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Williams View Post
More analogies! Is the BenQ a minivan? But doesn't this minivan out perform the Ferrari in the straighaways? And why talk about Ferraris when yall are clearly the Corvette type?


Anyway, I hope you enjoyed your movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
What?

As someone who has been looking at the LK990, the VW5000, and the RS4500... I guess I am just a unicorn??

Pretty sure 99% of the comparisons of this thread have been comparing the RS4500 TO the LK990, whenever trying to downplay its display??

Unless your point was that, the RS4500, VW885, and VW995 are terrible projectors in terms of money per performance, I cant really understand your point? Was your point that people who buy these projectors have more money than sense and that these projectors values have nothing to do with their actual performance or performance increases?

Or was your point that people who buy the BenQ projectors are soccer moms, while RS4500 owners are ferrari owners?

But I guess if I spent ferrari money, and someone was able to compete with me in a street race in their mini van id be pretty pissy about it too. (but to be clear, your Rs4500 is more like a chrysler 300 at best, at least do a decent analogy in terms of prices)

But I guess randomly deciding to yourself what price points are for what people, is one way to randomly feel special about yourself and look down upon the lowly peasants who dont want to overpay for a 3 yr old projector at a ridiculous markup.

Also, yes you CAN sell BenQ, but something tells me the reason their 7k projector is being compared to your 30k one, is because the 7k one doesnt have a 60% markup... I wonder which projectors' margins are more beneficial for a projector salesman ?



**cough** more like chrysler 300 pretending to be a phantom **cough** until an actual phantom drive by...


@Doug Williams as someone also researching a projector purchase, for my measly $50,000 theater room, I 100% can afford the VW5000 or the RS4500, but just because I can afford something, doesnt mean its a good purchase for its price. Not all of us looking at the BenQ are minivan soccermom peasants.

ffs.

Good to see you are quickly learning the agendas and fake news of these boards, its a real ****ing hassle to figure out what information is actually useful on here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Williams View Post
I meant Corvette as the preferred vehicle of old men with bad taste, but your Chrysler 300 made me laugh. This thread is a fun mix of compromised opinions, elitism born from consumer electronics, and an interesting new projector.
jherring69 likes this.
Jue Liang is offline  
post #649 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 08:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I saw the same yellowish cloud like muddy picture (a separate issue from the color banding I mentioned earlier) when I display a mostly white background. Not sure it's normal or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukul28 View Post
Hi just tonite after saw alot discuss in here i try open and test with some setting from my HK seller
And i found this
Its normal?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jue Liang is offline  
post #650 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 09:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Maestrosc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Riverside SoCal
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue Liang View Post
You guys made me laugh. Your discussion on corvette and other cars reminded me when I bought my C7 corvette a few years ago when I just graduated.

People (mostly from car forum) kept telling me that :"corvette is poor man's porsche or ferrari. People buying 911 would not take a look at corvette, and vice versa." But the truth was I also owned some other cars (BMW M6, X5, M3, Audi S8, lexus LS460) costed as much as their porsches. I also test drove both 911 and C7, and really preferred the handling and ride of C7. Performance-wise, even thought C7 beated 911 on many tracks, those noble german car owners still try to look down upon corvettes. I eventually traded in all my germany, japaneses and american cars for two Alfa romeos, so I can sit back as a minority and happily watch those arguments between major car brands.

So, I can't agree more when you said "deciding to yourself what price points are for what people, is one way to randomly feel special about yourself and look down upon the lowly peasants ".

However, I MUST disagree that "Corvette as the preferred vehicle of old men with bad taste"

For someone with such expensive taste in cars, why would you buy this lowly peasant projector?

Lol.
Maestrosc is offline  
post #651 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 09:02 AM
Senior Member
 
microwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Just from a pure home theater hobbyist perspective I hope this projector takes off. If it doesn't gain traction JVC and Sony will never have a reason to sell a laser projector for less than 25k.

Javs and Deerings review can't come soon enough.

Pioneer SC-95, Axiom M80, VP180 Dual EP500 all V4. ISCO III, RS540 + Stewart Cima Neve 133
microwiz is offline  
post #652 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 09:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Maestrosc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Riverside SoCal
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by microwiz View Post
Just from a pure home theater hobbyist perspective I hope this projector takes off. If it doesn't gain traction JVC and Sony will never have a reason to sell a laser projector for less than 25k.

Javs and Deerings review can't come soon enough.
Agree completely.

VW5000 is ****ing ancient, in respect to how fast technology moves. I need a light cannon, but I am not investing 40,000 in something that old, purely on principle.
Maestrosc is offline  
post #653 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 09:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue Liang View Post
I saw the same yellowish cloud like muddy picture (a separate issue from the color banding I mentioned earlier) when I display a mostly white background. Not sure it's normal or not.


When you saw your unit also found this yellowish? I cant accept but poblem i dont know how to make claim with benq , just 30 min ago talk with Ken from hivihk


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tukul28 is offline  
post #654 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CoreyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,584
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
It's possible for people to disagree with something without being influenced by financial gain. FYI, Mike can sell Benq also. I got a price quote on the LK970 from him before buying Dave's. I guess that should pretty well torpedo that and perhaps we can finally put this one argument to rest.
I've been out of the loop (took a vacation and getting back into the groove). You bought Dave's famous Harpervision 970?

XBox: King Nuthin
CoreyM is offline  
post #655 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 09:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
Agree completely.

VW5000 is ****ing ancient, in respect to how fast technology moves. I need a light cannon, but I am not investing 40,000 in something that old, purely on principle.
Same. There seems to be a bit of a gap in the market right now.

Currently, I have a JVC RS600 on a 156" diagonal 2.40 screen, which looks great in HD and pretty good in HDR (with a custom gamma curve).

In my new home, I would like to go to a 182" diagonal 2.40 screen. If the VW5000 were a more current model - I would consider it. Instead I am thinking about the JVC RS3000 with a Paladin DCR and Lumagen Radiance (to squeeze all the performance I can) or the BenQ LK990.
MovieRAV is offline  
post #656 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 09:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Maestrosc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Riverside SoCal
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieRAV View Post
Same. There seems to be a bit of a gap in the market right now.

Currently, I have a JVC RS600 on a 156" diagonal 2.40 screen, which looks great in HD and pretty good in HDR (with a custom gamma curve).

In my new home, I would like to go to a 182" diagonal 2.40 screen. If the VW5000 were a more current model - I would consider it. Instead I am thinking about the JVC RS3000 with a Paladin DCR and Lumagen Radiance (to squeeze all the performance I can) or the BenQ LK990.
I just dont want to go with a lamp projecto, at this price point, I want a laser.

Feels silly to be investing so heavily, and still get stuck with a lamp and a bulb im going to want to replace every 6 months, also still too low on lumens, at least for my particular build. Also 8k is a joke at this point, unless you are sitting 3' away from a monster screen, 8k is just a buzzword.
Maestrosc is offline  
post #657 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 09:35 AM
Member
 
gil393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
If the BenQ 990 was the hidden holy grail of projectors, the US military would be using them for flight simulation projectors. They aren't - they use the Visualization Series version of the RS4500.
That is so great to hear. My first, and only projector, DPI D 30, retailed for about $20K when new. Used extensively by the military. I bought it for $1200 with < 150 hours on it total, complete with govt. id tag. I can't wait for the RS4500s to start being sold off when they come out of warranty so I can grab one.

What does the military using a projector have to do with anything in the world? Keep on pushing the $25K projector that is half as bright, on a thread dedicated to a projector in a completely different price class. LK990 is good for the money, the resolution, the brightness. People here, myself included, are trying to get a feel for what the tradeoffs are in terms of black floor, rbe, calibration.

So sick of the JVC fanbois showing up in every DLP thread. If I wanted a JVC that was too dim for my screen and costs more than I would pay for a car I would follow those threads. That black floor will be terrific when my wife throws me out of the house and I'm using it as a pillow...
jherring69 and Maestrosc like this.
gil393 is offline  
post #658 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 09:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Maestrosc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Riverside SoCal
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by gil393 View Post
That black floor will be terrific when my wife throws me out of the house and I'm using it as a pillow...
Thank you for this. Made my morning
Maestrosc is offline  
post #659 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Kevin 3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 39
JVC X90 (11000 Hours) new lamp enhanced by madVR differences.




X90
Kevin 3000 is offline  
post #660 of 960 Old 04-04-2019, 12:10 PM
Member
 
nanoodhaliwal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Good stuff.
sent you a PM Javs.
nanoodhaliwal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off