BenQ LK990 - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 764Likes

post #661 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I talked to @tukul28 today. He sent me a few pics clearly showing the same color banding. He is now the fourth owner in the forum reporting color banding of LK970/990 out of 10-20 owners in total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCU2 View Post
So they are shipping them around the world to see if someone does not bother...

I will see, I will give it a second chance.

Edit: Would wish the BenQ Service is responding as fast as you guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 12:51 PM

Well, to me, a newbie to the projector world, a $7k projector is not a lowly peasant at all. And I did not buy really expensive cars like Ferrari or Lambo. It was your discussion on cars reminded me some interesting experience from my another hobby. Actually every forum I followed has the same kind of arguments, no matter it is about projectors, or cars, or cameras, or speakers, or it is in Chinese or in English. I thought American would behave more professional than Chinese in these forums, since the market here is much more mature. But, hey, people are all the same.

To be honest, I may end up buying a JVC or another Sony because I have already seen the RBE and much poorer black level of my LK970 comparing to my current Sony, which is not good at black level either when comparing to a JVC or a high end Sony. I am still waiting for reviews from Dave, Kris, Arrow, and Javs. Only if they said that the LK990's smarteco can help lowering the black level significantly, I will buy an LK990.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
For someone with such expensive taste in cars, why would you buy this lowly peasant projector?

Lol.

Last edited by Jue Liang; 04-04-2019 at 01:01 PM.
post #663 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue Liang View Post
I talked to @tukul28 today. He sent me a few pics clearly showing the same color banding. He is now the fourth owner in the forum reporting color banding of LK970/990 out of 10-20 owners in total.
Not sure where @Dave Harper has gone off to, but he did mention having to make adjustments to avoid some amount of banding. Sounds like what some folks are experiencing indicates defective or broken hardware, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 01:09 PM

I tried to reset every mode to factory default settings, it did not help. I remember the other owners with banding did the same thing.
Only after I lowered both the brightness and contrast to ~25 (by doing this, the light output dropped by ~2/3), the brighter banding disappeared, but darker bandings came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siener View Post
Not sure where @Dave Harper has gone off to, but he did mention having to make adjustments to avoid some amount of banding. Sounds like what some folks are experiencing indicates defective or broken hardware, though.
post #665 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Well, to me, a newbie to the projector world, a $7k projector is not a lowly peasant at all. And I did not buy really expensive cars like Ferrari or Lambo. It was your discussion on cars reminded me some interesting experience from my another hobby. Actually every forum I followed has the same kind of arguments, no matter it is about projectors, or cars, or cameras, or speakers, or it is in Chinese or in English. I thought American would behave more professional than Chinese in these forums, since the market here is much more mature. But, hey, people are all the same.

To be honest, I may end up buying a JVC or another Sony because I have already seen the RBE and much poorer black level of my LK970 comparing to my current Sony, which is not good at black level either when comparing to a JVC or a high end Sony. I am still waiting for reviews from Dave, Kris, Arrow, and Javs. Only if they said that the LK990's smarteco can help lowering the black level significantly, I will buy an LK990.
I agree, its isn't a lowly peasant projector.

I was just making a joke, because some other users on this website have referred to it that way, and insisted that anyone buying this projector could not afford something like a Rs4500. (which me and you both know isnt true).

I saw that yours had hardware issues as well as the other Chinese user's, every new line of projectors is facing QA issues it seems atm. Even the new N series from JVC, they were over 7 months delayed, and are still being returned and showing up with problems. There are over 300 thread pages of people complaining about the N Series right now.

It sounds more like its just hard to ship out these little precise machines without shipping damaging them. I mean, we have all seen how they handle our luggage/boxes at airports, they dont exactly seem to handle with care in most situations.

Maybe the LK990 is a dud, and banding will always be an issue with the LK990 as it is currently? We dont know.

But we do know that some reviewers and people have been able to get amazing video quality out of the LK970 and 990, seen in posts on these very forums from users like Woofer, Tnaik4, Dave Harper, and even those chinese reviewers seemed quite happy with the Lk990, so its hard to imagine that the Banding is plaguing every device naturally, or isnt fixable.

Only time and honest reviews will be able to tell us the whole story.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #666 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 60
What is the equivalent "RS" model for the X90. Was this the first of the e-shift projectors or pre-e-shift?

It looks like you have that sharpen setting up, but yeah, it goes to show that images can sometimes be misleading. I'm curious if MadVR upscaling is better than the upscaling used on UHDs when there is a 2K DI. Like If you were to take a blu-ray and upscale, how would it compare to a UHD which is essentially showing an upscaled 2K DI movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 3000 View Post
JVC X90 (11000 Hours) new lamp enhanced by madVR differences.

X90
post #667 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post
What is the equivalent "RS" model for the X90. Was this the first of the e-shift projectors or pre-e-shift?

It looks like you have that sharpen setting up, but yeah, it goes to show that images can sometimes be misleading. I'm curious if MadVR upscaling is better than the upscaling used on UHDs when there is a 2K DI. Like If you were to take a blu-ray and upscale, how would it compare to a UHD which is essentially showing an upscaled 2K DI movie.
The BenQ is much brighter and sharper. The JVC has better blacks.
So nothing new to tell...
Maestrosc and Archibald1 like this.
post #668 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I tried to reset every mode to factory default settings, it did not help. I remember the other owners with banding did the same thing.
Only after I lowered both the brightness and contrast to ~25 (by doing this, the light output dropped by ~2/3), the brighter banding disappeared, but darker bandings came out.
I am just curious my Lk990 was manufactured in Nov 2018.
Do you know when your unit was made?
post #669 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I agree, its isn't a lowly peasant projector.

I was just making a joke, because some other users on this website have referred to it that way, and insisted that anyone buying this projector could not afford something like a Rs4500. (which me and you both know isnt true).

I saw that yours had hardware issues as well as the other Chinese user's, every new line of projectors is facing QA issues it seems atm. Even the new N series from JVC, they were over 7 months delayed, and are still being returned and showing up with problems. There are over 300 thread pages of people complaining about the N Series right now.

It sounds more like its just hard to ship out these little precise machines without shipping damaging them. I mean, we have all seen how they handle our luggage/boxes at airports, they dont exactly seem to handle with care in most situations.

Maybe the LK990 is a dud, and banding will always be an issue with the LK990 as it is currently? We dont know.

But we do know that some reviewers and people have been able to get amazing video quality out of the LK970 and 990, seen in posts on these very forums from users like Woofer, Tnaik4, Dave Harper, and even those chinese reviewers seemed quite happy with the Lk990, so its hard to imagine that the Banding is plaguing every device naturally, or isnt fixable.

Only time and honest reviews will be able to tell us the whole story.

So true.
The LK990 is a heavy beast and shipping might be a challenge.
On the other hand BenQ should know this and should also know what could happen to their units due to bad handling.
I recently watched a broadcast. A company which sells bicycles was forced to print Flat Screens on the package, because of the bad handling while shipping.
They explained it did work - the guys did handle the packages with more care, thinking they are shipping tvs.
post #670 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCU2 View Post
The BenQ is much brighter and sharper. The JVC has better blacks.
So nothing new to tell...
In the JVC image, the contour lines look distorted/slightly blurred giving shapes a somewhat bulbous look. On the other hand, the JVC's image looks to have better blacks.

BenQ's image looks crisp and lines render object shapes more like they appear in real life. I'm thinking a negative gain screen will help with the blacks.

I wonder how much of that is panel alignment and how much, if any, of that is related to the way they pack the wire grid polarizers to get those better black levels with the X90. Even my Sony 695ES exhibits some of that line softness. Is it a three-chip thing or maybe just an Lcos thing? If there were a single-chip Lcos, maybe I'd know the answer.
post #671 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11816 Post(s)
Liked: 9351
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
In the JVC image, the contour lines look distorted/slightly blurred giving shapes a somewhat bulbous look. On the other hand, the JVC's image looks to have better blacks.

BenQ's image looks crisp and lines render object shapes more like they appear in real life. I'm thinking a negative gain screen will help with the blacks.

I wonder how much of that is panel alignment and how much, if any, of that is related to the way they pack the wire grid polarizers to get those better black levels with the X90. Even my Sony 695ES exhibits some of that line softness. Is it a three-chip thing or maybe just an Lcos thing? If there were a single-chip Lcos, maybe I'd know the answer.
I think you know, but some of the others might not. That is a 7/8 year old 1080P projector with a ton of hours on it.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-DLA-X90R.htm
post #672 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I think you know, but some of the others might not. That is a 7/8 year old 1080P projector with a ton of hours on it.
Oh yes, true. Good point. Perhaps some of the guys with the NX7s/Rs2000's/NX9/RS3000s will chime in for better sharpness comparisons. With those photo comparisons, it might look like the LK990 is bullying a seven-year-old 1080P projector.
Maestrosc likes this.
post #673 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Its an older projector, with a new lamp.

Are you saying that, in your opinion, the two images are close in quality?
post #674 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 2
More bad colour, seems colour wheel errors

Click image for larger version

Name:	2a9d9de2-d8a1-4012-b1b2-6663ca55b18d.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	2548984

If most common users happend case like with this benq lk990 ,why they need bother ship all around the world? Im not sure for handling issue as the unit when i test open all in trully well condition

Seems its benq colour wheel poblem with their setting

I playing with laser custom 65 percent like the seller advice me but still found some error colours like i post in here treat
Yellowis looks so awfull also , cant acceptable on some test with white colour
For sharpness its totally great but for RBE i totally cant accept
I hope can get better solution for this matter from my HK seller
Wish me luck guys
Once again sorry for my english since its not my mother languages

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #675 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
I saw the same yellowish cloud like muddy picture (a separate issue from the color banding I mentioned earlier) when I display a mostly white background. Not sure it's normal or not.
it shouldnt look like this , my LK970 look white across the whole screen when displaying a white pic.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #676 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
it shouldnt look like this , my LK970 look white across the whole screen when displaying a white pic.
Ya, appears the N series projectors arent the only ones with issues with their new projectors.
post #677 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
Mine too.
post #678 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

UHD discs are 4k at 4:2:0 10 bits while bluray is 1080p (2K) at 4:2:0 8 bits.

I think most 2k DI are at 12 bits 4:4:4, so there is no way a bluray that's encoded in 8bits 4:2:0 can look as good as the source material, no matter how you slice it. And I've done my testing with madvr comparing Avengers infinity war bluray vs UHD. The bluray version thru madvr is very impressive but it can't beat the uhd version on most scenes.

What I've been wondering for a while is this :
can a 4k movie from a UHD disc then transcoded to 1080p 10 bits 4:4:4 look as good on a 1080p display as it looks on a 4k display. That's something worth looking into imo, especially if the source is a 2k DI.
post #679 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Im not saying the BenQs are a holy grail, or amazing, or perfect. I am saying they have shown evidence that they can provide a comparable image to projectors 3-6x their value.
Very true, Maestrosc. Those who in fact have these have said the same. Even non-owners seem excited and your post in fact reminds me of someone who used to post here in the sense he employed similar mental gymnastics while rooting for the conventionally perceived underdog product.

The LK is becoming more and more known.
post #680 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukul28 View Post

If most common users happend case like with this benq lk990 ,why they need bother ship all around the world? Im not sure for handling issue as the unit when i test open all in trully well condition

I playing with laser custom 65 percent like the seller advice me but still found some error colours like i post in here treat
Wish me luck guys

Thanks

Hi. Do you see the same if you set the source to BT709?
post #681 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:

Also I am not saying to compare the 990 to a 25k projector. I say compare it to a high contrast projector at the same price point.
That is an excellent point that I completely agree with. I have never understood why people are comparing the BenQs to the JVC RS4500 or Sony 760ES only, just because they are all laser light source. In that case of course, the price/performance is lopsided. In reality many of the comparable units from Epson/JVC/Sony are prices in the $5K-$8K range. For several people, myself included, laser light source is not critical at all. I only watch movies in the weekend and am hard pressed to put more than 400 hours a year on a projector and that has been the case over several years and projectors. For people like me, bulb degradation let alone replacement cost is a non issue. I cannot cost justify the cost premium for laser, just like electric cars, tankless water heaters, high efficiency HVAC systems, etc. So in terms of value comparisons, it is not fair to say that only laser equipped units are allowed in the playing field. That is like saying the Tesla S is the best performance car in the world and not even a Ferrari or Lamborghini can touch it because they have gasoline engines and those are relics of the past that should not belong in a car.
post #682 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ya, appears the N series projectors arent the only ones with issues with their new projectors.
It might be a source mismatch. Someone else reported that with his source player, the image looked much better when he sent 709 to his machine. I don't remember if it was the 990 or the 970.
post #683 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Its an older projector, with a new lamp.

Are you saying that, in your opinion, the two images are close in quality?
Why are you trying to put words into my mouth? I did not say anything or infer anything. Do some research on the poster and you will see that he does this sort of thing, all the time. We usually tell him, that you can't compare projectors from pictures taken on different screens, different rooms and with different cameras.
post #684 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Seems to be a color wheel timing or board processing issue, but there is definitely something wrong. My 970 is rock solid but I think it has been confirmed the 990 has a different hdmi board and firmware. If there is a firmware fix I would definitely have your contact get it to you to update.

Quote:

Attachment 2548984

Wish me luck guys

Thanks

post #685 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
That is an excellent point that I completely agree with. I have never understood why people are comparing the BenQs to the JVC RS4500 or Sony 760ES only, just because they are all laser light source.
Those models are the "big hitters" and the LK is a relatively unknown to that. All I was saying was that it's nice to see people make logical arguments that give a perceived underdog a voice.
post #686 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GAGE View Post
Seems to be a color wheel timing or board processing issue, but there is definitely something wrong. My 970 is rock solid but I think it has been confirmed the 990 has a different hdmi board and firmware. If there is a firmware fix I would definitely have your contact get it to you to update.
Will BenQ let users do firmware updates on these? Used to have to send in?
post #687 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Hi. Do you see the same if you set the source to BT709?

Hi yes same issue even i open chrome its signal bt709 shown on info , its also getting same poblem including when playing bluray source , some this picture are bluray and some from UHD
All bluray player setting auto

If i can sent videos its more clearly for yellowish and this colour wheel issue shown up but for some colour looks amazing so i dont think its defect unit pobably colour wheel error since benq first time release this unit bcause i found a lot same case after saw some facebook users or company posting on their fb pages ( mostly chinese users) you can found out on fb by type words benq lk990

But i dont know since im not pro calibrator and this is my first DLP projector so when saw a lot rgb effect made me headache

Trully frustation got this trouble since i need sent back to Hk from my country if they agree for my rma claim and i need waiting till next monday for getting the seller reply

post #688 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Hi yes same issue even i open chrome its signal bt709 shown on info , its also getting same poblem including when playing bluray source , some this picture are bluray and some from UHD
All bluray player setting auto

If i can sent videos its more clearly for yellowish and this colour wheel issue shown up but for some colour looks amazing so i dont think its defect unit pobably colour wheel error since benq first time release this unit bcause i found a lot same case after saw some facebook users or company posting on their fb pages ( mostly chinese users) you can found out on fb by type words benq lk990

But i dont know since im not pro calibrator and this is my first DLP projector so when saw a lot rgb effect made me headache

Trully frustation got this trouble since i need sent back to Hk from my country if they agree for my rma claim and i need waiting till next monday for getting the seller reply

2 chinese users, with LK990s from china are sharing the same color banding issue, as well as a lot of chinese FB users, sounds like an entire shipment was mishandled/damaged or at least products from the same batch are having issues (as they would have been shipped together)
post #689 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Mike, from what I hear it is possible with some escalation from the dealer side.. They definitely prefer to have the unit though.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GAGE View Post
Will BenQ let users do firmware updates on these? Used to have to send in?
Mike Garrett likes this.
post #690 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
2 chinese users, with LK990s from china are sharing the same color banding issue, as well as a lot of chinese FB users, sounds like an entire shipment was mishandled/damaged or at least products from the same batch are having issues (as they would have been shipped together)

But when i wanna buy this lk i clearly asking the seller and he told me this time are 3rd batch but i dont know how to check and proof this

I need do some recearch actually before i buying this , this machine already in here since 7-10days ago and just yesterday i curious wanna test it and boom getting this wheel colour poblem so if im not wrong in here has one owner not testing it yet and my advice if you not mind ( forgot the user names) better you start open and checking it also

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page