BenQ LK990 - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 764Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #691 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 04:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Maestrosc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Riverside SoCal
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukul28 View Post
But when i wanna buy this lk i clearly asking the seller and he told me this time are 3rd batch but i dont know how to check and proof this

I need do some recearch actually before i buying this , this machine already in here since 7-10days ago and just yesterday i curious wanna test it and boom getting this wheel colour poblem so if im not wrong in here has one owner not testing it yet and my advice if you not mind ( forgot the user names) better you start open and checking it also


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe one of the new batches was a problem batch?

You, MCU2, and Jue Liang all got your projectors last week, and all 3 had issues, maybe there was a problem with a round of production.
Maestrosc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #692 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,864
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukul28 View Post
Hi yes same issue even i open chrome its signal bt709 shown on info , its also getting same poblem including when playing bluray source , some this picture are bluray and some from UHD
All bluray player setting auto

If i can sent videos its more clearly for yellowish and this colour wheel issue shown up but for some colour looks amazing so i dont think its defect unit pobably colour wheel error since benq first time release this unit bcause i found a lot same case after saw some facebook users or company posting on their fb pages ( mostly chinese users) you can found out on fb by type words benq lk990

But i dont know since im not pro calibrator and this is my first DLP projector so when saw a lot rgb effect made me headache

Trully frustation got this trouble since i need sent back to Hk from my country if they agree for my rma claim and i need waiting till next monday for getting the seller reply


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see. I just thought because it wasn't happening with all content that it may have been something other than mechanical/software related. I'm just curious. Do you have the PJ matched to the source, e.g., 4:4:4 in both the player and projector?
Aztar35 is offline  
post #693 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 04:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Mine was LK970. I did not check the manufacturing date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCU2 View Post
I am just curious my Lk990 was manufactured in Nov 2018.
Do you know when your unit was made?
FYI, @MCU2 's LK990 and my LK970 from USA have the same problem. I think LK970 should not be in the same batch as LK990s.
@chhanthony 's and @tukul28 's LK990 from Hongkong are a few months apart from each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
2 chinese users, with LK990s from china are sharing the same color banding issue, as well as a lot of chinese FB users, sounds like an entire shipment was mishandled/damaged or at least products from the same batch are having issues (as they would have been shipped together)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
Maybe one of the new batches was a problem batch?

You, MCU2, and Jue Liang all got your projectors last week, and all 3 had issues, maybe there was a problem with a round of production.
Jue Liang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #694 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,502
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4637 Post(s)
Liked: 2942
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulP View Post
You may very well be hobbyists, and everyone has the right to an opinion - even, I suppose, if that opinion is not well informed because the person expressing it has not actually seen the product first hand. However, if a “hobbyist” also has a financial axe to grind because they sell certain brands and not others (Or even simply get better margins from some brands than others), that “hobbyist” should disclose that financial stake openly and every time. It’s not just a matter of good business ethics but failing to do so could open the “hobbyist”, his/her business and possibly even the manufacture of the products they are pushing up to legal exposure.

You and Mike and others have an outsized influence on this forum because of your experience and your professional familiarity with the products you sell. So dilletantes, like myself, really count on your openness.
Based on the street prices of these BenQ, it sounds like the margins are biggest on these vs JVC or Sony. So it still doesn't track that anyone's opinions here are financially biased. I don't buy it at all.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #695 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 05:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue Liang View Post
Mine was LK970. I did not check the manufacturing date.







FYI, @MCU2 's LK990 and my LK970 from USA have the same problem. I think LK970 should not be in the same batch as LK990s.
@chhanthony 's and @tukul28 's LK990 from Hongkong are a few months apart from each other.


Just checked the box mine manufacturer jan 2019 hmm so strange as i just placing order from this shop by feb, 27


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tukul28 is offline  
post #696 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,537
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11816 Post(s)
Liked: 9351
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Based on the street prices of these BenQ, it sounds like the margins are biggest on these vs JVC or Sony. So it still doesn't track that anyone's opinions here are financially biased. I don't buy it at all.
The big name LCOS has the highest margin. The other LCOS and the DLP are a wash.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #697 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,502
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4637 Post(s)
Liked: 2942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The big name LCOS has the highest margin. The other LCOS and the DLP are a wash.
The big name is "Sony". So based on this, Craig is losing $$ by saying how great his RS4500 is when he should be pushing the more profitable 885 / 995 / 5000 ES. So much for it all being motivated by profit.
Reddig likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #698 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,864
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Based on the street prices of these BenQ, it sounds like the margins are biggest on these vs JVC or Sony. So it still doesn't track that anyone's opinions here are financially biased. I don't buy it at all.
How can we possibly know that? How we can know what the margin actually is at retail or will be when going through one particular brand as opposed to another, or whether there are restrictions on selling for some brands that compete with others, etc. I know that I don't know.

...still, if our friends in sales have an interest in selling projectors, so be it. I can take that into consideration with everything else when I form an opinion about a product; and keep in mind that just because they sell products doesn't automatically discredit what they say, by the way. I find that the sellers here don't have it easy, quite frankly. They're overall polite and often helpful. Whether that's genuine or motivated by the potential for sales, I like to give them the benefit of the doubt that it's genuine.

Also, keep in mind that people can work in a field about which they remain passionate without becoming jaded over the years.
Archibald1 likes this.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #699 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 05:25 PM
Senior Member
 
SaulP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 154
,

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Based on the street prices of these BenQ, it sounds like the margins are biggest on these vs JVC or Sony. So it still doesn't track that anyone's opinions here are financially biased. I don't buy it at all.
I don’t understand your point at all. In the US at least, the street prices of BenQ pjs are steeply discounted. That, combined with the fact that the starting price is relatively low among other brands would mean that both the seller and the manufacturer are likely earning lower margins compared to the other brands. But, without looking at the hard numbers, this is speculation.

In any case, I still maintain, that people who post on this forum should disclose whether or not they have a financial interest in selling either the projector at issue or competing projectors. The claim by some sellers that they are forbidden from disclosing whether or not they are a seller - that disclosing this fact would result in them being banned from the board - makes no sense. My understanding is that this forum does not allow a seller to promote their products or discuss price. That policy however would not prohibit a seller from disclosing that they are a seller. For example, the president of Paramorph, discloses that fact. Now, whether or not a financial interest biases a review is a different matter. However, by providing that information, people on the forum can judge for themselves what weight to give to a particular review.

The projectors discussed here are relatively expensive, even for the well healed. Moreover, they are sophisticated. I for one, come to this forum looking for relaible information and advice. Like others, I value the opinions of some of the more experienced enthusiasts, even if they are also sellers - because they may have the most experience and knowledge. But, I want to know whether or not they are sellers so that I can take that into account when I consider the information and advice they provide.

This really shouldn’t be controversial.
audvid, Maestrosc and Archibald1 like this.

Last edited by SaulP; 04-04-2019 at 05:30 PM.
SaulP is offline  
post #700 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,864
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulP View Post
In any case, I still maintain, that people who post on this forum should disclose whether or not they have a financial interest in selling either the projector at issue or competing projectors.
I think if they do that, it could be deemed a form of advertising.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #701 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,537
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11816 Post(s)
Liked: 9351
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulP View Post
I don’t understand your point at all. In the US at least, the street prices of BenQ pjs are steeply discounted. That, combined with the fact that the starting price is relatively low among other brands would mean that both the seller and the manufacturer are likely earning lower margins compared to the other brands. But, without looking at the hard numbers, this is speculation.

In any case, I still maintain, that people who post on this forum should disclose whether or not they have a financial interest in selling either the projector at issue or competing projectors. The claim by some sellers that they are forbidden from disclosing whether or not they are a seller - that disclosing this fact would result in them being banned from the board - makes no sense. My understanding is that this forum does not allow a seller to promote their products or discuss price. That policy however would not prohibit a seller from disclosing that they are a seller. For example, the president of Paramorph, discloses that fact. Now, whether or not a financial interest biases a review is a different matter. However, by providing that information, people on the forum can judge for themselves what weight to give to a particular review.

The projectors discussed here are relatively expensive, even for the well healed. Moreover, they are sophisticated. I for one, come to this forum looking for relaible information and advice. Like others, I value the opinions of some of the more experienced enthusiasts, even if they are also sellers - because they may have the most experience and knowledge. But, I want to know whether or not they are sellers so that I can take that into account when I consider the information and advice they provide.

This really shouldn’t be controversial.
Everybody does not get to play by the same rules. By the way, scroll to the very bottom of this page.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #702 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 05:49 PM
Member
 
Squidjammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Based on the street prices of these BenQ, it sounds like the margins are biggest on these vs JVC or Sony. So it still doesn't track that anyone's opinions here are financially biased. I don't buy it at all.
Do you mind PMing me the street prices as I have not found this to be the case here in Australia so I am considering ordering from the US.
Archibald1 likes this.
Squidjammer is offline  
post #703 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Desert Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 92
The banding issue has me a bit concerned. I am going to call BenQ and ask about it. I plan on ordering the LK990 tomorrow. I've always been happy with BenQ projectors so let's hope this one works even better.

Thanks
Marcus
Desert Pilot is offline  
post #704 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Middel east, LEBANON
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pilot View Post
The banding issue has me a bit concerned. I am going to call BenQ and ask about it. I plan on ordering the LK990 tomorrow. I've always been happy with BenQ projectors so let's hope this one works even better.

Thanks
Marcus
why dont u ask them to check it before sending it, i bought my JVC from Craig AVscience and i live overseas, so i asked him to open it and check for everything to make sure nothing is defective and then to ship it after. this way i only had shipping to worry about and it arrived perfect.
Reddig likes this.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
tnaik4 is offline  
post #705 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ccool96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
The big name is "Sony". So based on this, Craig is losing $$ by saying how great his RS4500 is when he should be pushing the more profitable 885 / 995 / 5000 ES. So much for it all being motivated by profit.


Sony never allowed AVS to sell the 5000ES. Is AVS selling the 885 / 995?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ccool96 is online now  
post #706 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,849
Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 3000 View Post
JVC X90 (11000 Hours) new lamp enhanced by madVR differences.




X90
That looks horrendous.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #707 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,502
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4637 Post(s)
Liked: 2942
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post
Sony never allowed AVS to sell the 5000ES. Is AVS selling the 885 / 995?
Yes, they do. Call them for a quote and see.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #708 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ccool96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Yes, they do. Call them for a quote and see.


So it was only the 5000ES they aren’t allowed to sell.

I guess the question should then be only between the 885 / 995 and RS4500.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ccool96 is online now  
post #709 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 07:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Did this for fun.

Like everyone else following these LK970 and LK990 threads, I also found @tnaik4 's recent screen shots incredibly sharp. So I tried to take the same screen shots for comparison.

I attached two groups pictures.


The original picture is a reference, but it is from an online resource, not as good as UHD bluray. Maybe someone else can provide a better original picture.

My screen shots are taken from UHD bluray.

Nonetheless, the value of the original picture as a reference is very limited because screen shots always look differently from the original pictures due to the limitation of cameras.

So, I also took screen shots from the OLED TV as another reference, simulating a perfect projection system with perfect lens and perfect panel alignment.

I found out that none of these pictures, either the original picture or screen shots from my projector or my OLED TV, look as sharp as @tnaik4 's screen shots. Even when I looked directly at the picture on my OLED TV (playing UHD Bluray), it's still not that sharp.

The only way I can make my screen shots look like @tnaik4 's is to crank up the sharpness settings in UB820 to maximum. I typically leave those settings at 0.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 3000 View Post
JVC X90 (11000 Hours) new lamp enhanced by madVR differences.




X90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I think you know, but some of the others might not. That is a 7/8 year old 1080P projector with a ton of hours on it.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-DLA-X90R.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Oh yes, true. Good point. Perhaps some of the guys with the NX7s/Rs2000's/NX9/RS3000s will chime in for better sharpness comparisons. With those photo comparisons, it might look like the LK990 is bullying a seven-year-old 1080P projector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scene 2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	2549078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scene 1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	5.27 MB
ID:	2549080  

Last edited by Jue Liang; 04-04-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Jue Liang is offline  
post #710 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,502
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4637 Post(s)
Liked: 2942
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post
So it was only the 5000ES they aren’t allowed to sell.

I guess the question should then be only between the 885 / 995 and RS4500.
I am not sure what "the question" is. I doubt that anyone's accusing AV Science folks of thrashing on the LK990 to sell Sony 5000 ES so not sure what you're trying to prove here. Why does anyone have a problem with the fact that people can actually like something without being biased due to financial reasons?

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #711 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 07:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Middel east, LEBANON
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue Liang View Post
Did this for fun.

Like everyone else following these LK970 and LK990 threads, I also found @tnaik4 's recent screen shots incredibly sharp. So I tried to take the same screen shots for comparison.

I attached two groups pictures.

The original picture from the video is a reference.

However, the value of the original picture as a reference is very limited because screen shots always look differently from the original pictures due to the limitation of cameras.

So, I also took screen shots from the OLED TV as another reference, simulating a perfect projection system with perfect lens and perfect panel alignment.

I found out that none of these pictures, either the original picture or screen shots from my projector or my OLED TV, look as sharp as @tnaik4 's screen shots. The only way I can make my screen shots look like @tnaik4 's is to crank up the sharpness settings in UB820 to maximum. I typically leave those settings at 0.
i had the sharpness at default which is 7-8 depends which preset, i think the combination of MadVR with lightspace 3Dlut also helps with it looking cleaner, it is even more impressive and smooth in person

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
tnaik4 is offline  
post #712 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 08:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
why dont u ask them to check it before sending it, i bought my JVC from Craig AVscience and i live overseas, so i asked him to open it and check for everything to make sure nothing is defective and then to ship it after. this way i only had shipping to worry about and it arrived perfect.


I did this my friend haha and according the sales said all is test and pass already but when reach here you see what i posted so i dont know its cause by shipping issue or not


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tukul28 is offline  
post #713 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ccool96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I am not sure what "the question" is. I doubt that anyone's accusing AV Science folks of thrashing on the LK990 to sell Sony 5000 ES so not sure what you're trying to prove here. Why does anyone have a problem with the fact that people can actually like something without being biased due to financial reasons?


I’m not disagreeing.

But the options between selling a RS4500 or nothing (when in regards to the 5000ES) seems like an easy choice.

I have owned tons of projectors of just about every make and model from $5000 to over $100k.

Just as Craig and others have often said, he can’t watch a movie on a 65-75” flat screen and get a true “home theater” experience. Well I have often felt that way about any screen below about 135-150”.

So when my choices years ago was a 1080p Sony or JVC with 1000 lumens or less and a 1080p 3 chip DPI Titan with 5000 lumens, the answer was easy. Size was king and still is. Thankfully the Sony 5000ES came along with 5x the native contrast of my two 4K Barco DCI projectors.

I have multiple projection systems. I have a 5000ES on both a 14’ wide and another 5000ES on a 17’ wide screen and I just upgraded my RS600 for a RS2000 on my small 120” master bedroom projection system.

But there is a reason why myself and many ultra-high end home theater guys like Art Sonneborn, LJG, Etc all used 3 chip DLP projectors prior to moving to the 5000ES. Because having a projector that could adequately light up a 14-18’ wide screen even with lower native contrast was a far more immersive home theater experience than watching a movie on a 100” screen with a higher native contrast image.

I think that why so many people are enthusiastic about this BenQ. People are moving to larger and larger screen sizes for that true home “theater” experience.

And until the day we can have 5000 lumen projectors with infinite contrast, compromises will still have to be made.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ccool96 is online now  
post #714 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,502
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4637 Post(s)
Liked: 2942
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post
I’m not disagreeing.

But the options between selling a RS4500 or nothing (when in regards to the 5000ES) seems like an easy choice.

I have owned tons of projectors of just about every make and model from $5000 to over $100k.

Just as Craig and others have often said, he can’t watch a movie on a 65-75” flat screen and get a true “home theater” experience. Well I have often felt that way about any screen below about 135-150”.

So when my choices years ago was a 1080p Sony or JVC with 1000 lumens or less and a 1080p 3 chip DPI Titan with 5000 lumens, the answer was easy. Size was king and still is. Thankfully the Sony 5000ES came along with 5x the native contrast of my two 4K Barco DCI projectors.

I have multiple projection systems. I have a 5000ES on both a 14’ wide and another 5000ES on a 17’ wide screen and I just upgraded my RS600 for a RS2000 on my small 120” master bedroom projection system.

But there is a reason why myself and many ultra-high end home theater guys like Art Sonneborn, LJG, Etc all used 3 chip DLP projectors prior to moving to the 5000ES. Because having a projector that could adequately light up a 14-18’ wide screen even with lower native contrast was a far more immersive home theater experience than watching a movie on a 100” screen with a higher native contrast image.

I think that why so many people are enthusiastic about this BenQ. People are moving to larger and larger screen sizes for that true home “theater” experience.

And until the day we can have 5000 lumen projectors with infinite contrast, compromises will still have to be made.
I agree with all this.
ccool96 and CoreyM like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #715 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 08:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Assuming your LK970 can't be sharper than my OLED TV, I think your madVR is doing an amazing job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
i had the sharpness at default which is 7-8 depends which preset, i think the combination of MadVR with lightspace 3Dlut also helps with it looking cleaner, it is even more impressive and smooth in person
Jue Liang is offline  
post #716 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 08:33 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukul28 View Post
More bad colour, seems colour wheel errors

Attachment 2548984





If most common users happend case like with this benq lk990 ,why they need bother ship all around the world? Im not sure for handling issue as the unit when i test open all in trully well condition

Seems its benq colour wheel poblem with their setting

I playing with laser custom 65 percent like the seller advice me but still found some error colours like i post in here treat
Yellowis looks so awfull also , cant acceptable on some test with white colour
For sharpness its totally great but for RBE i totally cant accept
I hope can get better solution for this matter from my HK seller
Wish me luck guys
Once again sorry for my english since its not my mother languages

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siener View Post
Not sure where @Dave Harper has gone off to, but he did mention having to make adjustments to avoid some amount of banding. Sounds like what some folks are experiencing indicates defective or broken hardware, though.

I’m still here. Just been super busy.

My thoughts are to try to turn off Brilliant Color in the Advanced Menu. If that doesn’t work then it could be something too extreme in the CMS, usually the Gain for the respective color. I’ve seen this many times when I tried to push the LK970 too hard for my HarperVision settings.

If it isn’t either of those then my guess is a color wheel issue like timing, etc. which would be a shame. Contact BenQ at that point.

I am having a forum member who is visiting HI over tonight to see my LK990. He knows it’s a work in progress and not optimal yet but we will see if we can see the same issues.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #717 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 09:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Maestrosc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Riverside SoCal
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post
I’m not disagreeing.

But the options between selling a RS4500 or nothing (when in regards to the 5000ES) seems like an easy choice.

I have owned tons of projectors of just about every make and model from $5000 to over $100k.

Just as Craig and others have often said, he can’t watch a movie on a 65-75” flat screen and get a true “home theater” experience. Well I have often felt that way about any screen below about 135-150”.

So when my choices years ago was a 1080p Sony or JVC with 1000 lumens or less and a 1080p 3 chip DPI Titan with 5000 lumens, the answer was easy. Size was king and still is. Thankfully the Sony 5000ES came along with 5x the native contrast of my two 4K Barco DCI projectors.

I have multiple projection systems. I have a 5000ES on both a 14’ wide and another 5000ES on a 17’ wide screen and I just upgraded my RS600 for a RS2000 on my small 120” master bedroom projection system.

But there is a reason why myself and many ultra-high end home theater guys like Art Sonneborn, LJG, Etc all used 3 chip DLP projectors prior to moving to the 5000ES. Because having a projector that could adequately light up a 14-18’ wide screen even with lower native contrast was a far more immersive home theater experience than watching a movie on a 100” screen with a higher native contrast image.

I think that why so many people are enthusiastic about this BenQ. People are moving to larger and larger screen sizes for that true home “theater” experience.

And until the day we can have 5000 lumen projectors with infinite contrast, compromises will still have to be made.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Amen.

This is why the people on this thread are constantly comparing it to the Rs4500 and the Sony VW5000.

Because, most of the people looking and considering this projector because they are looking for a light cannon for HDR content on a larger screen. And the options are BASICALLY - Sony VW5000 (60000 MSRP), the RS4500 (will be the dimmest, but has a chance of enough lumens combined with a paladin dcr lens + processor), and these BenQ's.
Aztar35 and jpbonadio like this.
Maestrosc is offline  
post #718 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 09:36 PM
Senior Member
 
oztheatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
Amen.

This is why the people on this thread are constantly comparing it to the Rs4500 and the Sony VW5000.

Because, most of the people looking and considering this projector because they are looking for a light cannon for HDR content on a larger screen. And the options are BASICALLY - Sony VW5000 (60000 MSRP), the RS4500 (will be the dimmest, but has a chance of enough lumens combined with a paladin dcr lens + processor), and these BenQ's.
The Z1 or RS4500 is EOL, only what stock is left is it. I would assume the US has more stock of this than most countries.. but once they're gone, only 2nd hand.
oztheatre is offline  
post #719 of 957 Old 04-04-2019, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CoreyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,584
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztheatre View Post
The Z1 or RS4500 is EOL, only what stock is left is it. I would assume the US has more stock of this than most countries.. but once they're gone, only 2nd hand.
Is there a SS replacement in the works?

The banding issues have scared me off a bit, the 9060 doesn't seem like it's without flaws either. I may have just caught upgraditis at the wrong time.

XBox: King Nuthin
CoreyM is offline  
post #720 of 957 Old 04-05-2019, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
12GAGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 387
I hope that BenQ can get a handle on things. Also the 990 is extremely new. Even dealing with BenQ directly there is not really any stock on these. If I wanted a unit now I would be looking at a 1-2 week wait. I would say let the dust settle and see if the new units coming out still have this issue. Once we have a steady flow of product you should be able to determine the failure rate. Hopefully, this is isolated to a certain production batch. For our friends overseas hopefully your dealers can secure a fix for you guys. BenQ US is usually pretty good on the customer service front.




*I am doing the same thing with the JVC RS3000. I am going to wait a bit until the bugs get worked out and the product starts flowing in higher volumes.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
Maybe one of the new batches was a problem batch?

You, MCU2, and Jue Liang all got your projectors last week, and all 3 had issues, maybe there was a problem with a round of production.
12GAGE is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off