Advertisement

post #812 of 957 Old 04-06-2019, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulP View Post
Please don’t drop off the thread, Dave. For those of us with the LK’s or at least for me, I am very interested in hearing what you have to say. My goal is to get the most out of my new LK. You seem to share that goal, I think others share it as well. So don’t let anybody dissuade you.

Unfortunately I have to wait another week before I will be up and running but everything is here. Screen projector everything. I can’t believe how patient I am being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doran View Post
@dave , please don’t leave us behind, greatly appreciate your efforts to help others. Frankly I ordered a 990 with some confidence that you’d be able to provide some guidance in setup. I doubt my local installer is going to do a great job as he’s never even seen these projectors. I also was very hopeful by your positive comments on progress with the HDR in place, was a little disappointed you may be moving back to stripping it. Hope you still can find a good setting with the HDR in place.

Just send me PMs and I’ll reply and let you know there. You don’t need me anymore, you have the most fearsome of the X-Men here to save the day now. He will rid the world of these fake arrogant settings that could melt the eyes and brains of unwitting video dolts like us if watched too long and they’re left untethered.
post #813 of 957 Old 04-06-2019, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4627 Post(s)
Liked: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Just send me PMs and I’ll reply and let you know there. You don’t need me anymore, you have the most fearsome of the X-Men here to save the day now. He will rid the world of these fake arrogant settings that could melt the eyes and brains of unwitting video dolts like us if watched too long and they’re left untethered.
Why has all this gotten you down so much? I don't really get it.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 957 Old 04-06-2019, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Dave Harper was kind enough to let me spend some time with him and his LK990 recently. I've had a heck of a time finding a 970 or 990 in Utah to look at, so Dave let me checkout his during my vacation in Hawaii. Because of the tone of the forum lately and the fact Dave hasn't had any time to calibrate the 990 I'm going to try and avoid talking about calibration based impressions. At home I use MadVR with 3dluts and HDR tweaks, so calibration and HDR pop was not an area of focus for me on the night anyway. I mostly wanted to focus on seeing the projector in person.

For reference I own a Benq W7000 and an Epson 5010. I've used the 5010 has my main projector for the last year or so and the W7000 for a year or so before that.

During my visit we watched several clips from The Revenant, Greatest Showman, and GotG 2. Overall I was very impressed with the 990.

On the positive side, as expected, the picture was very sharp and bright. I'm not sure exactly how many lumens the 990 was producing given the settings Dave had it set to, but coming into it I was afraid the picture would be too bright, however, it didn't feel that way. We only watched HDR content in HDR mode, so the projector could have been saving some of that brightness for high nits areas of the screen. Again this wasn't a high area of focus for me so I didn't dig super deep here.

Black detail appeared as though it had potential. I was not distracted by lack of black on anything we watched and several scenes showed great potential. I measure my Epson at ~3000:1 native on/off contrast. What I saw contrast wise out of the 990 didn't cause me any heart burn compared to my Epson. That said, Dave's theater, as it stands today, is not a bat cave. My theater is slightly more on the bat cave side of things. It is hard to say how the contrast would look in a bat cave. The projector was in SmartEco, and I didn't notice any pumping of the brightness while actually watching movie content. I did see pumping when turning on the menu and such so it was doing something.

On the negative side I did see a fair amount of RBE where as Dave, sitting right next to me, didn't see any. I never really noticed RBE with my w7000, though it is a much dimmer projector which might have something to do with it. Oddly enough the more content we watched the less I noticed the RBE. I noticed very little in GotG 2. I don't know if it was a difference in content or if my eyes were adjusting to DLP again. Before I consider purchasing the 990 or 970 I will need to do some soul searching to determine if RBE will be a problem for me. I will probably bust out my w7000 and see if I notice RBE on that now that I'm so used to my Epson.

Thanks again Dave for inviting me, a stranger, into your home and letting me take a quick look at this projector.
post #815 of 957 Old 04-06-2019, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
It really does help...still, I had the W7000 and W6000 which had the same segments and still saw some RBE at times. The Optoma UHZ65 (laser) had an RGBY wheel, but it might be a slower speed than the wheel on these LKs. I even saw a little RBE on the Vivitek H9090 (LED) and on the BenQ HT9050 XPR (HLD LED).

The only DLP projectors (which I've viewed so far) where I did not/do not recall seeing RBE are the new BenQ HT9060 (HLD LED) and Runco LS-5. I haven't seen the LK970/990 in person yet.
I owned a W7000 and seen RBE extremely bad with it. Ive yet to view a single chipper without experiencing RBE actually. But honestly I sure wish there was 3 chip solutions in the same price range as the 990. Since the introduction of D-Cinema ive thought the look of a 3 chip DLP is very relaxing on my eyes and has some very natural motion. Great color. Just poor native on/off.

My wish would be for a 3-chip DLP with the contrast of my RS540 and a laser light source. Heck id even be ok with a lamp and dual iris. Just would love to be able to own a high contrast 3 chip DLP someday.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #816 of 957 Old 04-06-2019, 10:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
This the 970 or 990?
I believe he has an RS540

Side note.. regarding RBE. Do movie theaters use 1 chip or 3 chip DLP? I forget it if was black panther or Thor Ragnarok that I saw in the theater, whenever there was screen text/subtitles, the text itself appeared to shift a pixel or two back and forth, and because of this, I saw rainbows within the white of the text. I am not sure why the text appeared that way (setup issue?.. something wrong with projector?). I'm not even sure if that was RBE, but it definitely was visible within something white... Has anyone else experience anything like this in a movie theater? I dont go often (I think JW2 was the last i saw in theater)...

Last edited by stumlad; 04-06-2019 at 11:02 PM.
post #817 of 957 Old 04-06-2019, 11:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4627 Post(s)
Liked: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post
I believe he has an RS540

Side note.. regarding RBE. Do movie theaters use 1 chip or 3 chip DLP? I forget it if was black panther or Thor Ragnarok that I saw in the theater, whenever there was screen text/subtitles, the text itself appeared to shift a pixel or two back and forth, and because of this, I saw rainbows within the white of the text. I am not sure why the text appeared that way (setup issue?.. something wrong with projector?). I'm not even sure if that was RBE, but it definitely was visible within something white... Has anyone else experience anything like this in a movie theater? I dont go often (I think JW2 was the last i saw in theater)...
What you're describing is rainbow. You see it most on white lines or text because white is made up of all 3 colors flashing very fast. Last night I was seeing it as I quickly moved my eyes from one section to the other with white up on the screen. But it wasn't super bothersome. I mean I saw it, but I don't think it was annoying enough that I'd have to be out on the projector just because of that. There are worse things to see.
stumlad likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #818 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngm View Post
Dave Harper was kind enough to let me spend some time with him and his LK990 recently. I've had a heck of a time finding a 970 or 990 in Utah to look at, so Dave let me checkout his during my vacation in Hawaii. Because of the tone of the forum lately and the fact Dave hasn't had any time to calibrate the 990 I'm going to try and avoid talking about calibration based impressions. At home I use MadVR with 3dluts and HDR tweaks, so calibration and HDR pop was not an area of focus for me on the night anyway. I mostly wanted to focus on seeing the projector in person.

For reference I own a Benq W7000 and an Epson 5010. I've used the 5010 has my main projector for the last year or so and the W7000 for a year or so before that.

During my visit we watched several clips from The Revenant, Greatest Showman, and GotG 2. Overall I was very impressed with the 990.

On the positive side, as expected, the picture was very sharp and bright. I'm not sure exactly how many lumens the 990 was producing given the settings Dave had it set to, but coming into it I was afraid the picture would be too bright, however, it didn't feel that way. We only watched HDR content in HDR mode, so the projector could have been saving some of that brightness for high nits areas of the screen. Again this wasn't a high area of focus for me so I didn't dig super deep here.

Black detail appeared as though it had potential. I was not distracted by lack of black on anything we watched and several scenes showed great potential. I measure my Epson at ~3000:1 native on/off contrast. What I saw contrast wise out of the 990 didn't cause me any heart burn compared to my Epson. That said, Dave's theater, as it stands today, is not a bat cave. My theater is slightly more on the bat cave side of things. It is hard to say how the contrast would look in a bat cave. The projector was in SmartEco, and I didn't notice any pumping of the brightness while actually watching movie content. I did see pumping when turning on the menu and such so it was doing something.

On the negative side I did see a fair amount of RBE where as Dave, sitting right next to me, didn't see any. I never really noticed RBE with my w7000, though it is a much dimmer projector which might have something to do with it. Oddly enough the more content we watched the less I noticed the RBE. I noticed very little in GotG 2. I don't know if it was a difference in content or if my eyes were adjusting to DLP again. Before I consider purchasing the 990 or 970 I will need to do some soul searching to determine if RBE will be a problem for me. I will probably bust out my w7000 and see if I notice RBE on that now that I'm so used to my Epson.

Thanks again Dave for inviting me, a stranger, into your home and letting me take a quick look at this projector.

Thanks for the review. You’re welcome anytime Mike! I hope you’re enjoying Volcano. It’s a great place we love to go to escape. Sorry there’s no more active lava, I guess Madame Pele is napping for a bit.
Steve Siener and youngm like this.
post #819 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 01:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post

I don’t get it either. As a newcomer to projectors with 0 preference for any projector yet, I have appreciated Dave’s push to get people to consider the 970/990, just as many other people have said they do also.

However, the defensiveness, taking things way to personally, threat of leaving when someone has a different opinion and the sarcastic responses certainly don’t help your case Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Reddig likes this.
post #820 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 01:57 AM

BenQ LK990

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post

Gee, I don’t know. Maybe it’s some guy across the ocean who’s never once seen my work, questioning my abilities and credentials that I’ve earned, proven and busted my butt for, probably longer than he’s been alive or at least been an adult. Maybe that did it. Maybe it’s also that Home theater isn’t fun anymore here with people like that ruining every thread that isn’t about how great JVC is.

I’m really just done with it all. This all means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfish View Post
I don’t get it either. As a newcomer to projectors with 0 preference for any projector yet, I have appreciated Dave’s push to get people to consider the 970/990, just as many other people have said they do also.

However, the defensiveness, taking things way to personally, threat of leaving when someone has a different opinion and the sarcastic responses certainly don’t help your case Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

See above. It’s far from just someone having a different opinion. I never once questioned anyone’s credentials and posted that they should have it removed and didn’t earn it somehow, especially for something they have never seen!
jherring69 likes this.

Last edited by Dave Harper; 04-07-2019 at 02:01 AM.
post #821 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 03:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Sigh.

The catalyst for this whole thing is I said you should remove your avatar since you throw caution to the wind and follow your heart, its contradictory. Never did I say your credentials should be revoked. Dont put words in my mouth. I did suggest you should get up to date on your certification though... I did say that.

Quote:
Its amazing you have an ISF Certified logo as your avatar, you should remove it since you dont actually adhere to any standards at all. Throw caution to the wind!!
Lets look at the very quote from you before I said that, and which brought about me having to defend myself, see if this reads as nice things to say? You said I shot first? I dont think so Dave, not from over here.

Does this not read as quite arrogant to you? Anyone? You put words in inverted commas and italicise them, it comes off very arrogant, sorry. Where I come from that is MOCKING someone clear as day. You continue to do so in the posts above. Its a dummy spit from where I am sitting. Harsh truth I know. I deleted yet another comment this afternoon because its just getting silly now. You expect me to sit idle while you take more jabs at me passive aggressively.

Quote:
Why 120 nits? You even say “in my opinion”. So what makes that the way it is “supposed to look”? What if, as in my case with the LK990, I can hit 200+ nits?

In my opinion, the only way to truly tell what it’s supposed to look like is to present it on a display that has the full dynamic range and color gamut and reaches the target nits of the mastered source so there is no tone mapping whatsoever, no?

Whose ”reference” though? Your opinion’s? Because that’s what you seemed to have given here, not SMPTE specs or whatever. Unless I missed something?

Maybe someone that’s seen or works on those modular giant flat panel theaters in Taiwan or China can chime in since I am guessing maybe those may not look like the images you posted. Or maybe a DolbyVision certified theater with a super high brightness DLP?

How do we know they’re “out of whack” if none of us has 1,000, 4,000 or 10,000 nit projectors? There are absolutely no real specs for tone mapping yet, so who’s to say what is “right”?
I wonder why I said what I did then... Only one sentence in my reply was in bad taste in which I deleted, and if you read it without that sentence its completely down to earth and an actual structured reply, but you had an epic dummy spit and spewed a ton of insult my way, and here we are. Not only was your entire post incorrect, you were flat wrong (accusing me of the above), I WAS following a standard, and rightly pointed it out, you still have not acknowledged it.

Lets put it all to bed eh?

And dont reply mocking me for being the bigger man like you have already done a few posts back.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves

Last edited by Javs; 04-07-2019 at 03:27 AM.
post #822 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Williams View Post
I meant Corvette as the preferred vehicle of old men with bad taste, but your Chrysler 300 made me laugh. This thread is a fun mix of compromised opinions, elitism born from consumer electronics, and an interesting new projector.
Good lord there is SO much of that around this place in general!

Oh, and don't forget to mention which 200 buck bottle of wine or gnarly bourbon you will be drinking whilst watching a movie, all whilst simultaneously beating your liver into a coma.....
markmon1 and Maestrosc like this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #823 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
Agree completely.

VW5000 is ****ing ancient, in respect to how fast technology moves. I need a light cannon, but I am not investing 40,000 in something that old, purely on principle.
However it is modular, and thus, the light engine can be retained/changed if required, whilst the processing part can also be changed as and when necessary.

Whether Sony will capitalise on that modularity or just keep updates for a 'new' model, is the question. My cynic says they will do the latter.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #824 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Dang I need to make a lot more money!! Then I can hang out in the $20,000 thread. A lot less drama
Todd G. and Archibald1 like this.

Home Theater: JVC NX7, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One
post #825 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukul28 View Post
Spoiler!

LOL. I don't think it was necessary for you to go to the trouble of circling the afflicted areas!

Stephen Hawking.
post #826 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCU2 View Post
So true.
The LK990 is a heavy beast and shipping might be a challenge.
On the other hand BenQ should know this and should also know what could happen to their units due to bad handling.
I recently watched a broadcast. A company which sells bicycles was forced to print Flat Screens on the package, because of the bad handling while shipping.
They explained it did work - the guys did handle the packages with more care, thinking they are shipping tvs
Wow! I wasn't aware that couriers made any distinctions with what they throw around the back of their vans....

Stephen Hawking.
post #827 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Well the 990 has a place no doubt, business partner of mine is building a home theater room with 150 inch 16x9 screen for sports and movies. I see nothing on the market that can light that screen with authority other than the 50k sony or this LQ990, he could easily afford the sony but said no way to that price.

The two quotes he got from his dealer had either the sony 695es or 885es, neither bright enough in my opinion so i talked him into this one, now ill finally get to see one
Archibald1 likes this.

Pioneer SC-95, Axiom M80, VP180 Dual EP500 all V4. ISCO III, RS540 + Stewart Cima Neve 133
post #828 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 3000 View Post
Removed 18mm lens aberrations this time.

Benq ----- X90
Massive difference in clarity in favour of the BenQ there.....
DunMunro likes this.

Stephen Hawking.
post #829 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I don't know if 990 is much heavier than 970. Recently I tried the 970 shipped from and returned to BenQ. It's not unusually heavy.. Easy enough to to ship via FedEx ground.
post #830 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by microwiz View Post
Well the 990 has a place no doubt, business partner of mine is building a home theater room with 150 inch 16x9 screen for sports and movies. I see nothing on the market that can light that screen with authority other than the 50k sony or this LQ990, he could easily afford the sony but said no way to that price.

The two quotes he got from his dealer had either the sony 695es or 885es, neither bright enough in my opinion so i talked him into this one, now ill finally get to see one
There really is a gap in the market.

140+ inch screen, there are basically only 2 options, and 1 is old, the other wasnt developed as a home theater projector, but @Dave Harper managed to prove that it is indeed a capable home theater projector for poeple who dont want to jump to the Sony 5000
post #831 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
Dang I need to make a lot more money!! Then I can hang out in the $20,000 thread. A lot less drama
Its just a much more figured out space, because all of the mainstays in that section have been the same for 3 years now.

Big screen? Sony 5000

Smaller screen? JVC RS4500

And even then, any sony projector that is priced near the RS4500... try going in those threads and saying you prefer any of the Sonys over the RS4500 in that price bracket, and you will see plenty of drama develop lol.
Todd G. likes this.
post #832 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Do I refuse to watch the version of 2001 A Space Odyssey that Christopher Nolan jizzed all over and completely destroyed, Yes, I refuse.
Please tell me that isn't the recent UHD bluray anniversary version.....

Stephen Hawking.
post #833 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can do whatever you want at the end of the day, sure, But if I am going to review something, if anybody reviews something, it should adhere to reference as much as possible.

What use is making a display, let alone one which costs 4 figures, of which its sole job is to represent the source material 1:1, if it cannot do that.

You have people sharing images here thinking its all the projector, but its NOT, its the user preference they are falling in love with. So far, I am not seeing much in the way of actual reference and thats actually a little alarming to me.

Reference first, then preference. Otherwise you are wildly stabbing in the dark. Just as many people if not more, would want to know its capable of making the image look the way it is supposed to look before any of the other wild colour jacking tweaks. I am supremely confident that it can.

I think it is far more impressive, if for example, I shared an image of the original, then a screenshot from the projector, and you almost didn't know which was which, to me, that is impressive.

The closest I ever got to that is the following btw. Slight colour differences, but in my opinion this is what a well setup display looks like.

Spoiler!
Interesting to note that the brighter images look more alike than the darker ones.
I can see more detail and more realistic colour on the original images of the dark haired ladies than the screen shots, that look like they are a little too dim, if that is the correct word.

I wouldn't be unhappy with any of those images in my theatre however.

Stephen Hawking.
post #834 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6612 Post(s)
Liked: 7676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Please tell me that isn't the recent UHD bluray anniversary version.....
Nolan didn't have anything to do with the UHD Blu-ray from what I've read. Just the road show theater re-release.

See here - http://thedigitalbits.com/item/2001-...odyssey-uhd-bd

" Audiences may be most familiar with previous home video releases of 2001: A Space Odyssey and may be struck by some of the differences. However, the newly-remastered version has been scanned and timed to directly match the original film release, rather than the previous home video master. The new HD Blu-ray and 4K UHD Blu-ray will have more detail, greater color depth, better color accuracy in terms of matching Stanley Kubrick’s original 1968 theatrical release. As digital technology continues to evolve, it becomes more and more possible to recreate the experience of viewing a film print in your own home. "
Steve Siener likes this.

Last edited by Craig Peer; 04-07-2019 at 09:59 AM.
post #835 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Nolan didn't have anything to do with the UHD Blu-ray from what I've read. Just the road show theater re-release.

" Audiences may be most familiar with previous home video releases of 2001: A Space Odyssey and may be struck by some of the differences. However, the newly-remastered version has been scanned and timed to directly match the original film release, rather than the previous home video master. The new HD Blu-ray and 4K UHD Blu-ray will have more detail, greater color depth, better color accuracy in terms of matching Stanley Kubrick’s original 1968 theatrical release. As digital technology continues to evolve, it becomes more and more possible to recreate the experience of viewing a film print in your own home. "
Thank Eff for that!

I had read that the new versions are much more like how it was originally shown and the previous disc release(s?) were over saturated and looked almost cartoony.

After reading @Javs opinion of the Nolan version, that is a tag line I would have loved to have seen on the packaging...….

2001: A Space Odyssey 'Jizzed on by Christopher Nolan' or 'Jizzed On Edition'...…

Stephen Hawking.
post #836 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Had a bit more time with my camera/lens + X90 + madVR settings.

Benq ---------- X90
post #837 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 3000 View Post
Had a bit more time with my camera/lens + X90 + madVR settings.

Benq ---------- X90
Ya looks good.

Just cant compete with the BenQ's sharpness.

Chris Pratt looks like he is covered in microfibers, but thats only noticable in a paused screenshot and what makes it more noticable is just having a sharper image sidexside with it.

Yo
post #838 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11806 Post(s)
Liked: 9345
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
The picture is shot in the jungle and it is so bright in both of them, to the point it looks as bright as being on a sunny beach.
post #839 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Correct. Thankfully the UHD is utterly fantastic.
Craig Peer likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #840 of 957 Old 04-07-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Correct. Thankfully the UHD is utterly fantastic.
How did Nolan actually screw it up? Was it the inaccurate over saturated colours?

Stephen Hawking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page