BenQ LK990 - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 784Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 1021 Old 01-21-2019, 01:41 AM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
Oh the 990 isn't out yet? I thought someone here had bought one. I think the extra 1000 lumens for my setup which is a ton of sunlight during thedl day will be worth it.

It’s only been released in China I believe. Someone else got a pre-production unit. Member woofwoof I think.
Dave Harper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 1021 Old 01-21-2019, 09:34 AM
Member
 
ailil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
There is no much info on the lk990 yet, and i don't know if you guys have already posted this, but just in case, although there are not many details, at least there are some nice pics:

http://www.avbuzz.com/audio-video/201901/benq-lk990/
MJ DOOM likes this.
ailil is offline  
post #93 of 1021 Old 01-21-2019, 03:03 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
BenQ LK990

Sounds like some folks in Australia are liking the BenQ LK990 (and LK970 presumably) and realize what I’ve been touting for many months now!

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...omment=4031343

Quote:
minireza:

.....I viewed the LK990 off a 1.1 - 1.2 gain (from memory) and in other room had a 1.3 gain Severtson screen which was honestly stunning. Not cheap, but it was incredible. Both were AT screens (the owner wavetrain certainly knows his stuff!)

Understand that a typical acoustically transparent screen is lower gain, but many can be bought with a higher gain (obviously negatives may come along with this).

In the last few weeks I've seen and viewed the following;

Sony 870
Sony 570
Barco balder cinemascope
Benq lk990

From. 130 inch to 170 inches

The one I was most impressed by was the Benq. The combination of calibration, lumagen, fantastic AT screen and beatiful nice and large cinemascope aspect, it honestly impressed me the most.

It just goes to show, for these projectors to stretch their legs, it's important to have the room setup to the level these projectors deserves.........
12GAGE likes this.
Dave Harper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 1021 Old 01-22-2019, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
12GAGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 743
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 395
The eyes never lie.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Sounds like some folks in Australia are liking the BenQ LK990 (and LK970 presumably) and realize what I’ve been touting for many months now!

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...omment=4031343
Dave Harper likes this.
12GAGE is offline  
post #95 of 1021 Old 01-22-2019, 06:21 PM
Member
 
djlemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Birmingham, MI
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 35
My LK990 is supposed to be delivered tomorrow! I can't wait to try it out and report back, although I have to warn you that I have no calibration experience (or software)... If anyone has any suggestions for a newbie, it would be greatly appreciated.
djlemo is offline  
post #96 of 1021 Old 01-22-2019, 06:24 PM
Member
 
Cashuout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I thought It wasn't released in the US yet?

Equipment:
Silver ticket 125" 2:35:1 - JVC-DLA-NX9 - Panamorph Paladin DCR - Lumagen Radiance Pro ( ordered ) - Denon X4400H - Oppo 203 - Apple TV 4K - I Pad controled Lighting /System ( harmony hub ) - Outlaw 5000 - Klispch 450C - 2x RP 280 - 2x RP 150 - 2x RP 240s Bi - 2x RP SW12 - PLUS 2x SVS PB2000 - 4x Polk RC80i in-ceiling [ 7.4.4 System ]
Cashuout is offline  
post #97 of 1021 Old 01-23-2019, 12:34 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashuout View Post
I thought It wasn't released in the US yet?

I think it was just released. I heard January 19th a while ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlemo View Post
My LK990 is supposed to be delivered tomorrow! I can't wait to try it out and report back, although I have to warn you that I have no calibration experience (or software)... If anyone has any suggestions for a newbie, it would be greatly appreciated.

Where did you get it from?
Dave Harper is offline  
post #98 of 1021 Old 01-23-2019, 08:02 PM
Member
 
djlemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Birmingham, MI
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I think it was just released. I heard January 19th a while ago.




Where did you get it from?
It arrived! (angels singing in the background) Ordered it from ProjectorSuperStore.com
Dave Harper likes this.
djlemo is offline  
post #99 of 1021 Old 01-23-2019, 08:53 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlemo View Post
It arrived! (angels singing in the background) Ordered it from ProjectorSuperStore.com

I wait with baited breath on your initial report!!!
Dave Harper is offline  
post #100 of 1021 Old 01-26-2019, 08:53 AM
Senior Member
 
SaulP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 154
This is great news that the projector is now available in the US. My wife is actually encouraging me to upgrade. So, I need to jump it!

I will be upgrading from an old Sharp XVZ10000 DLP And have been waiting for a reasonably priced 4K, laser projector. I currently have an old 110” Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol screen. I will be upgrading that as well.

While I will wait to hear your review of the projector, I’m assuming that it will be at least as good as the reviews for the 970. Accordingly, does anybody have a recommendation for a good screen to go along with this projector. I’d like to stick with Da-Lite if possible because I assume the installation of the same size screen will be simplest. However, if there is a must-have screen from a different manufacturer I will do that.
SaulP is offline  
post #101 of 1021 Old 01-26-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
steve71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Maybe this is a dumb question (I'm not up on display tech), but will the 990 be able to do stereoscopic 3D from a PC? I.E. accept and display a 120hz 3D signal via HDMI?
steve71 is offline  
post #102 of 1021 Old 02-01-2019, 05:22 AM
Senior Member
 
SaulP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlemo View Post
It arrived! (angels singing in the background) Ordered it from ProjectorSuperStore.com
Anything to report? I’m ready to pull the trigger on the LK990, but would love to read some real world reviews.
maglito likes this.
SaulP is offline  
post #103 of 1021 Old 02-10-2019, 10:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulP View Post
Anything to report? I’m ready to pull the trigger on the LK990, but would love to read some real world reviews.
Same boat here. Would love to hear thoughts and/or see some photos!
DigitalAV likes this.
briangreen is offline  
post #104 of 1021 Old 02-11-2019, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
DigitalAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: United States of Advertising
Posts: 861
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangreen View Post
Same boat here. Would love to hear thoughts and/or see some photos!
Cosigned!

DigitalAV is online now  
post #105 of 1021 Old 02-25-2019, 09:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Bueller?
Dave Harper likes this.
briangreen is offline  
post #106 of 1021 Old 02-26-2019, 09:47 AM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
BenQ LK990

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulP View Post
Anything to report? I’m ready to pull the trigger on the LK990, but would love to read some real world reviews.
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangreen View Post
Same boat here. Would love to hear thoughts and/or see some photos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAV View Post
Cosigned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangreen View Post
Bueller?

OK, so he either hated it and sent it back and is afraid to say, or he absolutely loves it and is so spellbound by its picture that he hasn’t left his theater in weeks!!!
Dave Harper is offline  
post #107 of 1021 Old 02-26-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 27,169
Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12994 Post(s)
Liked: 10629
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
OK, so he either hated it and sent it back and is afraid to say, or he absolutely loves it and is so spellbound by its picture that he hasn’t left his theater in weeks!!!
Or it arrived damaged or not working properly and he is waiting a replacement.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #108 of 1021 Old 02-26-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CoreyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,609
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Did he actually even say he had it? Do we know of anyone that actually has one? Seems like there are only 2 or 3 verified 9060s out in the wild as well.

XBox: King Nuthin
CoreyM is offline  
post #109 of 1021 Old 02-26-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 27,169
Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12994 Post(s)
Liked: 10629
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
Did he actually even say he had it? Do we know of anyone that actually has one? Seems like there are only 2 or 3 verified 9060s out in the wild as well.
He posted it arrived. Then nothing. I suspect he is waiting on a replacement. That is the most logical assumption. That or he is enjoying the projector. If he hated it, I think he would have posted so.
CoreyM likes this.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #110 of 1021 Old 02-26-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CoreyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,609
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
He posted it arrived. Then nothing. I suspect he is waiting on a replacement. That is the most logical assumption. That or he is enjoying the projector. If he hated it, I think he would have posted so.
Thanks, guess I missed that!

XBox: King Nuthin
CoreyM is offline  
post #111 of 1021 Old 02-26-2019, 02:48 PM
Senior Member
 
jherring69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PE Canada
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Or it arrived damaged or not working properly and he is waiting a replacement.
He didn't order a new JVC Mike JK

I really can't see the point of saying that he probably had a damaged or non working unit.

Lots of people bitching about JVC but I don't think you need to stoop to their level

Display: Optoma UHZ65 - Screen: DIY 114" AT Spandex (White over Black)
Receiver: Marantz SR7011 - Speakers: 7.4.4 All Paradigm with 4 DIY 15" Subs
Sources: Odroid N2 - CoreElec, Roku Premiere+, Fire Cube 2019, PS4 Pro
jherring69 is offline  
post #112 of 1021 Old 02-26-2019, 09:11 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
Did he actually even say he had it? Do we know of anyone that actually has one? Seems like there are only 2 or 3 verified 9060s out in the wild as well.

I have one being held for me from my guy at BenQ, but I have to wait until I sell the LK970 I have listed here in order to get the funds to grab it.

I SO want to check this thing out to see how it stacks up to the LK970. I think once it’s Calibrated it will look the same as the LK970 because I am sure HarperVision will be better than the stock HDR mode and gamma. This model is just for those that care about 3D I think. I guess I’ll see.......someday!
CoreyM likes this.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #113 of 1021 Old 02-27-2019, 05:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I have one being held for me from my guy at BenQ, but I have to wait until I sell the LK970 I have listed here in order to get the funds to grab it.
I check in w/ the dealer once a week, and it still shows nothing (I'm told). Unless something else comparable is released before this, I'm pulling the trigger on "launch date" with or without the reviews.
briangreen is offline  
post #114 of 1021 Old 02-27-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 27,169
Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12994 Post(s)
Liked: 10629
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by jherring69 View Post
He didn't order a new JVC Mike JK

I really can't see the point of saying that he probably had a damaged or non working unit.

Lots of people bitching about JVC but I don't think you need to stoop to their level
That is not stooping to any level. They guy said he would post about the projector once he received it. Then he posted that he had received it. Then silence. That pretty much means he has had some sort of issue. As to what it is, I have made an educated guess as to what the delay was. If it is a shipping related issue, that does not reflect on the product at all. That reflects on the shipping company.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #115 of 1021 Old 02-27-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,849
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
That is not stooping to any level. They guy said he would post about the projector once he received it. Then he posted that he had received it. Then silence. That pretty much means he has had some sort of issue. As to what it is, I have made an educated guess as to what the delay was. If it is a shipping related issue, that does not reflect on the product at all. That reflects on the shipping company.
IMO sounds like this is spreading FUD to me.

There are plenty of reasons someone might not post again completely unrelated to the product itself.
jherring69 likes this.
Ruined is offline  
post #116 of 1021 Old 02-27-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 27,169
Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12994 Post(s)
Liked: 10629
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
IMO sounds like this is spreading FUD to me.

There are plenty of reasons someone might not post again completely unrelated to the product itself.
Yes, there are lots of possibilities. I named what I think is the most likely, since he said he would let everyone know how the unit looked and since he did a specific post saying the projector arrived. Then he went silent. How is saying that I think something happened to the unit and that I suspect shipping damaged is FUD? I am not stating fact. I am making a guess as to what I suspect happened. Obviously something has happened. The list of possibilities is endless. What do you think happened or is going on?
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #117 of 1021 Old 02-27-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CoreyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,609
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 207
For whatever reason I thought this was Arrow we were talking about. Looking at this user's post history it appears they have bigger fish to fry (in the middle of their HT build out).

XBox: King Nuthin
CoreyM is offline  
post #118 of 1021 Old 02-27-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,849
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Yes, there are lots of possibilities. I named what I think is the most likely, since he said he would let everyone know how the unit looked and since he did a specific post saying the projector arrived. Then he went silent. How is saying that I think something happened to the unit and that I suspect shipping damaged is FUD? I am not stating fact. I am making a guess as to what I suspect happened. Obviously something has happened. The list of possibilities is endless. What do you think happened or is going on?
I have no idea. I could speculate he was abducted by aliens and there would be just as much evidence to back up that statement as the statement claiming his unit had a problem.
jherring69 likes this.
Ruined is offline  
post #119 of 1021 Old 02-27-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stumlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 60
So do these suffer from the "rainbow" effect like other DLP?
stumlad is offline  
post #120 of 1021 Old 02-27-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,849
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post
So do these suffer from the "rainbow" effect like other DLP?
Greatly varies by person

The only real "rainbow proof" single chip DLP out now is the BenQ HT9060 due to it's fast cycling LEDs.
Ruined is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off