AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11700 Post(s)
Liked: 9249
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
BenQ told me they don’t show at CEDIA and may not even have a booth, but be on the lookout for a special surprise featuring the BenQ LK970 and/or LK990 “special editions” at CEDIA or a hotel nearby!!! We are trying to make it happen!

Yeah I figured that, but as tnaik4 pointed out, he posted that he used MadVR and didn’t say or correct anyone that it was indeed my settings instead. He should have cleared that up. If he did and I didn’t read it yet, I may have missed it then.

Oh, God no! It’s so easy Doran. You can literally put in my settings for HarperVision for HDR in the Cinema mode and use that for all your HDR sources. It works even better with the UB820 because you set that to output HDR/BT2020 and use its HDR Optimizer feature to dynamically tone map to 1,000 nits. They complement each other VERY well! You can easily use basic patterns from discs etc to set user controls and then touch it up by eye to look correct if you don’t have calibration gear or want to hire a pro. It will still look amazing!

For SDR just use the sRGB mode and tweak to your liking.

So it’s just a matter of switching between sRGB and Cinema modes after that. Easy!
I hope BenQ does. Will give me an opportunity to see them. Woofer did post that he was using your settings in one of his posts. You must have missed it. I remember the post, but I don't think you want me to go back and pull it up.
Dave Harper, Craig Peer and Reddig like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 948 Old 03-16-2019, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 980
Thanks again Dave.

Nice! I will keep my ear open then.
Dave Harper likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #243 of 948 Old 03-16-2019, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Dave, you’re awesome and incredibly kind to help others out on this forum, especially those of us who love the projection experience but don’t have the underlying knolwedge. I really think this may be the best fit for me. I was weighing ordering the 990 now or waiting until you could get your hands on one. I hope they didn’t hinder anything you’re doing on the 970 with the changes to the 990. Any idea on when you may be getting yours?

Thanks again.
Dave Harper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 948 Old 03-17-2019, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Congrats and enjoy the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangreen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC57 View Post
This whole thing gets more weird by the minute.

LK990 is marketed for SPORTS BARS.... hello that is the main use of my projector is for SPORTS... NFL and NHL..... movies are secondary.

I just do not get it.... is 6,000 lumens to much for a HT with say a 135 inch diagonal screen?
No, no it is not too much.

Guys, I finally recieved the projector and had everything installed on Friday. I have not had time to calibrate anything properly, but I am blown away by the picture from just putting the projector in stock cinema mode. I spent some time watching the Players on Friday afternoon with a pretty solid amount of ambient light in the room, and at 130 inches on a SI Slate 1.2, it was still exceptional.

Very interested to try out any pending Harpervision Settings, I'll keep wating for Dave's commentary.

Picture mode does default to HDR when HDR source is detected. I haven't really tried to play around with this that much though as I was just so anxious to watch the Star Trek: Into Darkness opening scene in all of it's IMAX asepect ratio glory!

I apologize for the picture quality here (and this may have been in vivid mode, which is the out-of-the-box-mode), but I'll try to get high-quality pictures of everything later today to put up.

Cheers guys.
post #245 of 948 Old 03-17-2019, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangreen View Post

Cheers guys.

Hey Brian, what part of the country are you in?
post #246 of 948 Old 03-17-2019, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doran View Post
Dave, you’re awesome and incredibly kind to help others out on this forum, especially those of us who love the projection experience but don’t have the underlying knolwedge. I really think this may be the best fit for me. I was weighing ordering the 990 now or waiting until you could get your hands on one. I hope they didn’t hinder anything you’re doing on the 970 with the changes to the 990. Any idea on when you may be getting yours?

Thanks again.

Thank you for the kind words! I only do it because it’s a passion and fun for me........until I bring my impressions here that is!

I was told mine should ship out to me on March 19, so this Tuesday. Hopefully I get it by Friday so I can have the weekend to play.
Steve Siener likes this.
post #247 of 948 Old 03-17-2019, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Thank you for the kind words! I only do it because it’s a passion and fun for me........until I bring my impressions here that is!

I was told mine should ship out to me on March 19, so this Tuesday. Hopefully I get it by Friday so I can have the weekend to play.
Dave. Mine is also supposed to ship on the 19th! My lens is already here. Unfortunately, my screen won’t ship until the 26th. I guess I can use my existing screen for the time being. I’m really looking forward to upgrading my HT.

I’m really looking forward to your review and especially any recommendations you have to optimize the set up.
Dave Harper likes this.

Last edited by SaulP; 03-17-2019 at 10:04 PM.
post #248 of 948 Old 03-17-2019, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Hi Dave,

Very much looking forward to your findings. I am torn between the LK990 and the HT9060 (subject to demoing them myself). I am concerned about the SDR performance on the LK990 as I only have a 120inch diagonal screen and it seems that maybe the LK990 would be too bright. What are you thoughts regarding this?

Scott
MaxTemp likes this.
post #249 of 948 Old 03-17-2019, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 141
What exactly does the brilliant color setting do?It seems to brighten the image. I have it off.
post #250 of 948 Old 03-17-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidjammer View Post
Hi Dave,

Very much looking forward to your findings. I am torn between the LK990 and the HT9060 (subject to demoing them myself). I am concerned about the SDR performance on the LK990 as I only have a 120inch diagonal screen and it seems that maybe the LK990 would be too bright. What are you thoughts regarding this?

Scott

I think you’ll be alright if you use the Eco mode if you want to maintain the auto dimming feature or you can set an exact light output if you use the custom brightness laser power mode.
post #251 of 948 Old 03-17-2019, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I think you’ll be alright if you use the Eco mode if you want to maintain the auto dimming feature or you can set an exact light output if you use the custom brightness laser power mode.
Great to hear Dave, I was hoping to be able to use it with the smart eco mode to ensure I had the dynamic contrast but was worried that it would be too bright. If I can get reasonable pricing here in Australia I will organise a demo so I can check it out.
post #252 of 948 Old 03-17-2019, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked: 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgolf View Post
What exactly does the brilliant color setting do?It seems to brighten the image. I have it off.
Brightens image significantly at expense of contrast and color accuracy
post #253 of 948 Old 03-17-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidjammer View Post
Great to hear Dave, I was hoping to be able to use it with the smart eco mode to ensure I had the dynamic contrast but was worried that it would be too bright. If I can get reasonable pricing here in Australia I will organise a demo so I can check it out.

Oh darn sorry. I wasn’t thinking but now I see you were asking about it on the LK990, which has SmartEco. My mind was on the LK970 which doesn’t when I responded to you.

I’m not sure I can speak with authority on the LK990 yet since it has so many new features added, like SmartEco. Maybe someone that has one already can chime in to help until after I get mine.
post #254 of 948 Old 03-22-2019, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Oh darn sorry. I wasn’t thinking but now I see you were asking about it on the LK990, which has SmartEco. My mind was on the LK970 which doesn’t when I responded to you.

I’m not sure I can speak with authority on the LK990 yet since it has so many new features added, like SmartEco. Maybe someone that has one already can chime in to help until after I get mine.
Hi Dave,

I've been working with Ken B. at World Premier(great guy)and we were considering the 695es for my 132" 2.40 Neo screen until I stumbled onto your thread regarding the lk models by BenQ. Question, do you believe this to be an option for that unity gain screen at a throw of approx. 18-20'? We are interested in mostly movies with the family so I'm still on the fence given I'm a dlp sharpness fanatic coming from a single chip VX6000. I know my former projector was "contrast limited" by today's standards but I certainly was happy with the image it put out. Not sure if the dynamic image you described would be a viable option for my space. Regardless of choice I would be interested in having you calibrate.

In addition, would a DCR lens work well with the aforementioned models? I am considering buying a lens soon. Someone purchased my ISCOIII

Much Appreciated!
Dave Harper likes this.
post #255 of 948 Old 03-22-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawiguy998 View Post
Hi Dave,

I've been working with Ken B. at World Premier(great guy)and we were considering the 695es for my 132" 2.40 Neo screen until I stumbled onto your thread regarding the lk models by BenQ. Question, do you believe this to be an option for that unity gain screen at a throw of approx. 18-20'? We are interested in mostly movies with the family so I'm still on the fence given I'm a dlp sharpness fanatic coming from a single chip VX6000. I know my former projector was "contrast limited" by today's standards but I certainly was happy with the image it put out. Not sure if the dynamic image you described would be a viable option for my space. Regardless of choice I would be interested in having you calibrate.

In addition, would a DCR lens work well with the aforementioned models? I am considering buying a lens soon. Someone purchased my ISCOIII

Much Appreciated!
Best lens to buy for.this pj is Panamorph Paladin (non DCR) with benq-modified XM2 kit if you can swing it:
https://www.panamorph.com/other-proj...ibility-guide/
Dave Harper likes this.
post #256 of 948 Old 03-22-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Best lens to buy for.this pj is Panamorph Paladin (non DCR) with benq-modified XM2 kit if you can swing it:
https://www.panamorph.com/other-proj...ibility-guide/
Why non DCR? No need for additional brightness?
post #257 of 948 Old 03-22-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why non DCR? No need for additional brightness?
The DCR Paladin is for x4096 resolution projectors, the non-DCR Paladin is for x3840 resolution projectors like the BenQ.
post #258 of 948 Old 03-22-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
The DCR Paladin is for x4096 resolution projectors, the non-DCR Paladin is for x3840 resolution projectors like the BenQ.
Ok... So as defined by the differences inherent to LCOS vs DLP chipsets. So the big question for me is whether the lk990 would show an appreciable difference contrast wise to say my old Runco VX6000. I realize there will be quite a difference compared to the proposed 695, but I'm a little concerned with it being too dim for my low gain AT screen. Thoughts?
post #259 of 948 Old 03-22-2019, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Ok... So as defined by the differences inherent to LCOS vs DLP chipsets.
Yep. I’ve got a new Paladin sitting in a box awaiting the arrival of my lk990 and my new screen (Stewart ST100). I hope to be up and running in a couple of weeks or less.
Reddig likes this.
post #260 of 948 Old 03-22-2019, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Awesome thread guys
post #261 of 948 Old 03-22-2019, 06:41 PM

Dylan went back and took a second look at the LK990. He also calibrated the 990. The info is not on this forum. LK990 owner is returning the projector.
post #262 of 948 Old 03-22-2019, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Dylan went back and took a second look at the LK990. He also calibrated the 990. The info is not on this forum. LK990 owner is returning the projector.
Confused as to why post this with no explanation for why he returned it. Folks on this thread are presumably here to seek or share useful info.

Last edited by Steve Siener; 03-22-2019 at 07:08 PM.
post #263 of 948 Old 03-22-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siener View Post
Confused as to why post this with no explanation for why he returned it. Folks on this thread are presumably here to seek or share useful info.
Forum will not allow a link or I would. Here is copy and paste. LK990 owner below. Will need to do a search for Dylan Seeger projector reviews to find this. Dylan is a reviewer and he calibrated both projectors.

"Dylan and I had a much better session this afternoon with the BenQ and JVC. We did a lot of back and forth replaying the same scenes on each projector.

Boy did the LK990 look flat on darker material, not just torture test material, but average lower lit scenes. The low contrast creates a haze over the picture that leaves you wanting more. This was my impression even before a head to head with the RS2000. The comparison made it that much more apparent. The RS2000 has real depth and dimension in those scenes. It’s not even close.

The LK990 looks spectacular on brighter material! It’s super sharp, and very alluring. In the right environment, such as a living room where you’re fighting ambient light to watch tv, I could see this being the right choice.

In my dedicated theater where movies are my priority and I have full light control, the RS2000 is the right choice. It never looked offensive or drew attention to itself. It may not be as bright as the BenQ, but with proper tone mapping it’s bright enough on my 141” 2.35 screen."
Steve Siener, Reddig and tushizuo like this.
post #264 of 948 Old 03-22-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Hi Dave,

Much Appreciated!

Hmmmm, I wonder who THAT could’ve been that bought your lens, haha!

Off the top of my head I would say your throw could be a touch too long for that sized screen. I have a 137” diagonal scope Stewart ST130 screen with a throw of about 16.5-17’ and for 16:9 material it’s almost at its end point. If you add another foot of throw and add in your smaller screen you could be a little too long. Your 132” is diagonal, or width?

If you kept the horizontal expansion ISCO it “may” have worked.

I’ll try to do some testing here with the LK990 when it arrives to see if it will throw to your sized screen since it’s smaller than mine, if you’d like? Would you be at any extremes of the lens shift (H and/or V), as that can lessen the throw as well.

Quote:
Ok... So as defined by the differences inherent to LCOS vs DLP chipsets. So the big question for me is whether the lk990 would show an appreciable difference contrast wise to say my old Runco VX6000. I realize there will be quite a difference compared to the proposed 695, but I'm a little concerned with it being too dim for my low gain AT screen. Thoughts?

I think I can honestly say it will blow away that old VX6000. I can’t see it being too dim either. I don’t know the true gain of that Neo screen, so you know?

Quote:
Forum will not allow a link or I would. Here is copy and paste. LK990 owner below. Will need to do a search for Dylan Seeger projector reviews to find this. Dylan is a reviewer and he calibrated both projectors.

"Dylan and I had a much better session this afternoon with the BenQ and JVC. We did a lot of back and forth replaying the same scenes on each projector.

Boy did the LK990 look flat on darker material, not just torture test material, but average lower lit scenes. The low contrast creates a haze over the picture that leaves you wanting more. This was my impression even before a head to head with the RS2000. The comparison made it that much more apparent. The RS2000 has real depth and dimension in those scenes. It’s not even close.

The LK990 looks spectacular on brighter material! It’s super sharp, and very alluring. In the right environment, such as a living room where you’re fighting ambient light to watch tv, I could see this being the right choice.

In my dedicated theater where movies are my priority and I have full light control, the RS2000 is the right choice. It never looked offensive or drew attention to itself. It may not be as bright as the BenQ, but with proper tone mapping it’s bright enough on my 141” 2.35 screen."

I can all but guarantee its something similar to what @woofer experienced before he figured out the proper settings. What you’re describing is NOT the way it should be. HDR movies is where this excels, so as I told woofer with the LK970, something isn’t right.

As I said previously, I am sure this is just with the stock HDR mode and most likely won’t be anywhere near as good as what I did on the LK970, so until I get the LK990 and figure it out if it can or can’t do the same or better, I would urge him to hold off returning it and making that decision.

Was this with tone mapping from HDR/BT2020 to SDR/BT2020? Was everything ruined by brightness matching his HDR (yuck!!!)? If all I did to the LK970 was an initial calibration, I doubt it would be what it is either and recall it wasn’t.

How am I not surprised with the result from there?
tnaik4 likes this.
post #265 of 948 Old 03-22-2019, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Here we go again....

One person said... Must be fact then. Everyone's eyes are all the same?
Dave Harper and tnaik4 like this.

The ever evolving Mini Theater and 60's basement overhaul

Coming Soon The "Hidden Canyon" Theater Build!
post #266 of 948 Old 03-22-2019, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
Here we go again....

One person said... Must be fact then. Everyone's eyes are all the same?
Where did he ever say that in the quote?
post #267 of 948 Old 03-23-2019, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I can all but guarantee its something similar to what @woofer experienced before he figured out the proper settings. What you’re describing is NOT the way it should be. HDR movies is where this excels, so as I told woofer with the LK970, something isn’t right.

As I said previously, I am sure this is just with the stock HDR mode and most likely won’t be anywhere near as good as what I did on the LK970, so until I get the LK990 and figure it out if it can or can’t do the same or better, I would urge him to hold off returning it and making that decision.

Was this with tone mapping from HDR/BT2020 to SDR/BT2020? Was everything ruined by brightness matching his HDR (yuck!!!)? If all I did to the LK970 was an initial calibration, I doubt it would be what it is either and recall it wasn’t.

How am I not surprised with the result from there? [/QUOTE]

Dave, some of it was stock HDR. We did try your settings by removing the flag through his pc, and it certainly looked better, if not somewhat overcooked. It was more contrasty for sure. We used smarteco, but still, the contrast is very limited on this PJ. I don’t know how much longer until I receive the RMA for return, but I’m hoping that you get your unit before I send mine back. I went in with open arms and mind to this PJ, but so far it’s not for me. The fan noise is also bothersome. It’s about 4-5db louder than the JVC on high.

There was no brightness matching or SDR/2020 conversion going on.
post #268 of 948 Old 03-23-2019, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 386
These units are not for everybody. In my opinion, content, environment and preferences matter a lot. If possible putting the options in the same environment and viewing your chosen content is the best way to go in making the best decision for your situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgolf View Post

Dave, some of it was stock HDR. We did try your settings by removing the flag through his pc, and it certainly looked better, if not somewhat overcooked. It was more contrasty for sure. We used smarteco, but still, the contrast is very limited on this PJ. I don’t know how much longer until I receive the RMA for return, but I’m hoping that you get your unit before I send mine back. I went in with open arms and mind to this PJ, but so far it’s not for me. The fan noise is also bothersome. It’s about 4-5db louder than the JVC on high.

There was no brightness matching or SDR/2020 conversion going on.[/QUOTE]
post #269 of 948 Old 03-23-2019, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siener View Post
Those RS4500 profits are looking mighty hefty, wouldn't want anything to BenQ them up
post #270 of 948 Old 03-23-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Hmmmm, I wonder who THAT could’ve been that bought your lens, haha!

Off the top of my head I would say your throw could be a touch too long for that sized screen. I have a 137” diagonal scope Stewart ST130 screen with a throw of about 16.5-17’ and for 16:9 material it’s almost at its end point. If you add another foot of throw and add in your smaller screen you could be a little too long. Your 132” is diagonal, or width?

If you kept the horizontal expansion ISCO it “may” have worked.

I’ll try to do some testing here with the LK990 when it arrives to see if it will throw to your sized screen since it’s smaller than mine, if you’d like? Would you be at any extremes of the lens shift (H and/or V), as that can lessen the throw as well.

I think I can honestly say it will blow away that old VX6000. I can’t see it being too dim either. I don’t know the true gain of that Neo screen, so you know?

Thanks Dave. Glad you’re enjoying the lens.
Yes, the 132” is diagonal and I do believe the neo screen is something to the tune of .8 gain. I can certainly change my mounting location for a shorter throw but 18’ does put the projector right behind the second row where I wanted it. Again, I can accomodate a shorter throw. One of the reasons we chose the 695 was due to its greater mounting flex. with respect to my screen size.

I had plans to purchase a dcr lens with the Sony but trying to keep my options open...will need to make a decision soon. This build has been a long time coming and the natives are getting very restless!!

What about the 970? If we could work out the throw, should this be a consideration as well? We would be using the theater mostly for movies and I would be watching a fair amount of 1080p as well with 4K HD handled via ub820. Interested in good 3D for the kids too.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page