Panamorph Paladin Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #31 of 58 Old 01-27-2019, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankiy View Post
The more I watch content, the more I’m loving this lens. I don’t care if it’s perceived resolution, the image on the screen looks night and day different from when I just used to zoom. The contrast, brightness and depth of the image on the screen is by far the best it’s ever been.

I’m actually contemplating skipping out on the NX7 I have on order. Being able to play my Xbox one on the 2.35:1 screen fully filled with just the slightest of stretch to it. I’ll take a picture of the Xbox one x screen shortly.

Guys, if you don’t own an anamorphic lens, I suggest you put it on your list of must haves.

Do you have a scope screen or a 16:9 screen?
I have a scope screen. 2.35:1 135”

JVC DLA-NX9 | Panasonic UB820 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Rotel RB 993 Amp | 135" 2:35:1 Elunevision Aurora NanoEdge Ambient Light Blocking Screen | Paradigm Monitor 11 v7, Monitor Center 3 v7, Monitor Surround 3 v7, CI Pro P65-R |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 01-27-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Schorer View Post
Shawn, I am a newbie. I have ordered a JVC NX7 with a 140” Stewart screen. Does the Paladin lens work (easily) with the NX7? Is the intro/Xmas sale still available? Room is 24x19. Should I go to a 160” screen if I get the Paladin?
Unfortunately the Paladin sale is over but please consult with the dealer where you ordered your NX7. All our lenses work easily with the NX7 but the even better lens is the Paladin DCR. Your best screen size depends on lots of things including the amount of light control in your theater but you can probably throw those questions out here or on the DCR thread to get other opinions.

Shawn Kelly
Panamorph, Inc.
www.panamorph.com
[email protected]
post #33 of 58 Old 01-27-2019, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Shawn, I am a newbie. I have ordered a JVC NX7 with a 140” Stewart screen. Does the Paladin lens work (easily) with the NX7? Is the intro/Xmas sale still available? Room is 24x19. Should I go to a 160” screen if I get the Paladin?
I forgot to mention the screen is 2.41
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 58 Old 01-27-2019, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
ITs a dark theater. I am tapped out and significantly over budget on my new room but the thread on Paladin DCR has tempted me to really piss off my bride and stretch again. Is there any alternative (open box) as I can’t handle the MSRP price tag and need to lock down my screen tomorrow?
post #35 of 58 Old 01-27-2019, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
ITs a dark theater. I am tapped out and significantly over budget on my new room but the thread on Paladin DCR has tempted me to really piss off my bride and stretch again. Is there any alternative (open box) as I can’t handle the MSRP price tag and need to lock down my screen tomorrow?
Someone has a new DCR lens for sale in the classifieds here for a great price. Or, you can wait for the b-stock sale in the fall (if I remember correctly).
Lynkage likes this.
post #36 of 58 Old 05-02-2019, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Hello. I need some setup advice. I've got a new BenQ LK990 and purchased the Paladin lens (non-DCR) to throw onto my 2.4 screen. After a little mix-up with the mounting plate (the dealer sent me the wrong one - but Panamorph fixed that by sending me the right one) I had an installer come by yesterday to get it mounted.

I'm not sure if he really knew what to do. To begin with, before mounting the lens I had a slight keystone effect (image at top of screen a little wider than at bottom). I thought that could be fixed by adjusting the "roll" (front/back tilt) on the chief mount. But the installer didn't seem to know how to do that and said the issue could be addressed with over-scan (the LK does not have digital keystone correction as far as I can tell). It wasn't a huge issue, so I let him proceed.

After he hung the lens, the keystone was still there as was a slight barrel distortion (the middle of the image on the screen bulged slightly. He adjusted the over-scan and both issues are largely gone. However, there seems to be a lot of overscan - at least an inch all around. That seems excessive.

So my question is should I have him (or someone else) re-adjust the projector and/or lens? Am I correct that the keystone effect can addressed by adjusting the roll? Can I address they keystone with the adjustments on the Paladin itself?

My last question is this: What does the protective film on the lens look like. When he mounting the lens, neither he nor I saw anything obvious (e.g. a "tab" to remove the film). I'm beginning to suspect my dealer sold me a used lens, but before I raise that, I want to be sure.

Perhaps I'm just being a little OCD about this. The image itself is very nice but given the premium price of this piece of kit, I want it "perfect".
post #37 of 58 Old 05-02-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6611 Post(s)
Liked: 7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulP View Post
Hello. I need some setup advice. I've got a new BenQ LK990 and purchased the Paladin lens (non-DCR) to throw onto my 2.4 screen. After a little mix-up with the mounting plate (the dealer sent me the wrong one - but Panamorph fixed that by sending me the right one) I had an installer come by yesterday to get it mounted.

I'm not sure if he really knew what to do. To begin with, before mounting the lens I had a slight keystone effect (image at top of screen a little wider than at bottom). I thought that could be fixed by adjusting the "roll" (front/back tilt) on the chief mount. But the installer didn't seem to know how to do that and said the issue could be addressed with over-scan (the LK does not have digital keystone correction as far as I can tell). It wasn't a huge issue, so I let him proceed.

After he hung the lens, the keystone was still there as was a slight barrel distortion (the middle of the image on the screen bulged slightly. He adjusted the over-scan and both issues are largely gone. However, there seems to be a lot of overscan - at least an inch all around. That seems excessive.

So my question is should I have him (or someone else) re-adjust the projector and/or lens? Am I correct that the keystone effect can addressed by adjusting the roll? Can I address they keystone with the adjustments on the Paladin itself?

My last question is this: What does the protective film on the lens look like. When he mounting the lens, neither he nor I saw anything obvious (e.g. a "tab" to remove the film). I'm beginning to suspect my dealer sold me a used lens, but before I raise that, I want to be sure.

Perhaps I'm just being a little OCD about this. The image itself is very nice but given the premium price of this piece of kit, I want it "perfect".
Sounds to me like he didn't want to take the time or just didn't have the knowledge. The lens can be adjusted up, down, and the angle can also be adjusted. Plus, mounting it closer to the lens might change things too. And make sure the writing on the lens case is on the bottom of the lens ( there is a top and bottom for ceiling mounting ) -

https://www.panamorph.com/wp-content...tion-Guide.pdf

The picture shouldn't be " keystoned " - I got the top and bottom more or less perfect, with some barrel distortion on the sides ( overscanned ). At minimum throw. Hopefully you have more than the minimum throw distance.
post #38 of 58 Old 05-02-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulP View Post

Hi Saul,

OCD is what this hobby is about

There should be no keystone. The projector roll/tilt/yaw should be adjusted to make sure the image is square/aligned with the screen edges even before putting the Paladin on. The final adjustment of the Paladin requires combining the tilt of the Paladin with V shift of the projector to fine tune the 2.4:1 movie aspect ratio to fit the screen.

The protective film on the lens would be obvious if it's there. It's pretty thick and it's folded at one end to grab.

I'm still curious about the plate. Did the replacement plate work fine using the standard four BenQ holes or did you need to use the additional holes we put in? We haven't had that issue before with the standard holes so please let me know.
Craig Peer likes this.

Shawn Kelly
Panamorph, Inc.
www.panamorph.com
[email protected]
post #39 of 58 Old 05-02-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kelly View Post
Hi Saul,

OCD is what this hobby is about

There should be no keystone. The projector roll/tilt/yaw should be adjusted to make sure the image is square/aligned with the screen edges even before putting the Paladin on. The final adjustment of the Paladin requires combining the tilt of the Paladin with V shift of the projector to fine tune the 2.4:1 movie aspect ratio to fit the screen.

The protective film on the lens would be obvious if it's there. It's pretty thick and it's folded at one end to grab.

I'm still curious about the plate. Did the replacement plate work fine using the standard four BenQ holes or did you need to use the additional holes we put in? We haven't had that issue before with the standard holes so please let me know.
Shawn:

Thanks for the quick response. (It's wonderful to have the actual founder of a company helping out here!).

I'm bummed I'll have to have the installer (or probably someone else) come out to get the geometry correct. I was pretty sure it should have been corrected before mounting the lens. But he didn't even seem to know how to do the adjustments using the Chief. I've got the projector sitting a little more than 1.7x the width. Based on your instructions am I correct that if it's set up properly I shouldn't need too much overscan?

With respect to the replacement plate, yes, it worked perfectly! It looks so similar to the non-BenQ plate I originally received that I thought it was the same. But the four additional holes drilled into the new plate and indicated by the white dots (which was very helpful) fit exactly right and moved everything forward.

BTW: I just checked with my installer again and he did remove the protective film - he just did so before the adjustments were done.

Thanks again. I'll keep you apprised.

Last edited by SaulP; 05-02-2019 at 10:28 AM.
post #40 of 58 Old 05-02-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

What is your screen width? At 1.7:1 I think you'd need about 0.005 x your screen width of screen border to mask the edge distortion.

Shawn Kelly
Panamorph, Inc.
www.panamorph.com
[email protected]
post #41 of 58 Old 05-02-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
What is your screen width? At 1.7:1 I think you'd need about 0.005 x your screen width of screen border to mask the edge distortion.

Screen width is 118". So, based on the 0.005 I really should only need a little more than half an inch?
post #42 of 58 Old 05-02-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Yessir. That sounds about right. Just enough to mask the slight curve at the edge. It's important to make sure the 2.4:1 movie is dialed into fit the screen so that you can achieve this minimum all around.

Shawn Kelly
Panamorph, Inc.
www.panamorph.com
[email protected]
post #43 of 58 Old 05-07-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Yessir. That sounds about right. Just enough to mask the slight curve at the edge. It's important to make sure the 2.4:1 movie is dialed into fit the screen so that you can achieve this minimum all around.
Shawn: As an update, I wanted to let you and other know that was able to get my geometry issues squared away. As I reported in the LK990 owner's thread, I realized that the 1.5" pipe from which I hang my projector was not plumb. (It's complicated but my PJ hangs from a beam running up diagonally. I think when my installer moved the set-up further "back" and thus "down" on that beam for the new projector he simply assumed the angle would be the same.) Once I took that out of the equation I was able to get pretty close to completely square with the Chief RPA mount. But it wasn't perfect -- it's just very very hard to wrestle that heavy projector with that mount.

I wanted closer to perfect so I ordered a Premier Fine Tune Mount. https://www.premiermounts.com/product/ftp/ This mount has "dials" and "knobs" that allow you to make small adjustments to pitch, roll and yaw. So I swapped that in and was able to get very close to perfect squareness (no keystone). I then re-mounted the Panamorph Paladin and even without fine tuning that, the image is great. I have a little bit more overscan at the top and bottom compared to the sides, which I think I'll be able to get rid of doing fine adjustments on the Panamorph.

The image is noticeably brighter and clearer with the Paladin -- the installer even commented on this. So, long story short, the Paladin plus a BenQ LK projector works very nicely. The plate fits perfectly and with the BenQ's "Anamorphic 2.4:1" aspect mode it's a perfect fit. Pretty damn cool, IMO.
post #44 of 58 Old 05-07-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Great Saul Thanks very much for the kind remarks. Much appreciated.

Shawn Kelly
Panamorph, Inc.
www.panamorph.com
[email protected]
post #45 of 58 Old 05-07-2019, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 562
So, Kris Deering was calibrating my system last week. With the lens on we put up an alignment pattern to make sure the panels were aligned.

We had this weird thing going on where every other vertical line looked like the panels were out of alignment with red. Take the lens off and all is good.

That does not sound right does it? Is the lens distorting the color convergence or something? It is a DCR lens.

Home Theater: JVC NX7, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One
post #46 of 58 Old 05-07-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Every other vertical line? No that doesn't sound right. The DCR is a vertical compression lens so it doesn't do anything in the horizontal. At short throw ratios you can see some color splitting at the top and bottom in the vertical direction (ie horizontal line splitting) that can be taken out with the convergence adjustment because the component images should be very sharp. But there really should be no adjustment needed in the horizontal direction (ie splitting of vertical lines). Was that vertical line splitting consistent across the image?

Shawn Kelly
Panamorph, Inc.
www.panamorph.com
[email protected]
post #47 of 58 Old 05-07-2019, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Every other vertical line? No that doesn't sound right. The DCR is a vertical compression lens so it doesn't do anything in the horizontal. At short throw ratios you can see some color splitting at the top and bottom in the vertical direction (ie horizontal line splitting) that can be taken out with the convergence adjustment because the component images should be very sharp. But there really should be no adjustment needed in the horizontal direction (ie splitting of vertical lines). Was that vertical line splitting consistent across the image?
Maybe Kris Deering you can chime in on this but it was every other one across the screen and we could not get it back into convergence with the projector. lens off it was fine. Is it maybe something with the glass of that lens?

I will take a picture of it tonight.

Home Theater: JVC NX7, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One

Last edited by BondDonBond; 05-07-2019 at 04:05 PM.
post #48 of 58 Old 05-07-2019, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Yes, thanks for offering for the pic. You've got me curious.

Shawn Kelly
Panamorph, Inc.
www.panamorph.com
[email protected]
post #49 of 58 Old 05-07-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
So, Kris Deering was calibrating my system last week. With the lens on we put up an alignment pattern to make sure the panels were aligned.

We had this weird thing going on where every other vertical line looked like the panels were out of alignment with red. Take the lens off and all is good.

That does not sound right does it? Is the lens distorting the color convergence or something? It is a DCR lens.
I've not seen that on my setup. Could you see any indication of this on actual content ? Convergence looks good on my RS4500 with or without the lens.
post #50 of 58 Old 05-08-2019, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, after some testing when Kris and I did the convergence the projector was on for 45MN to an hour. Turned on the projector and 45MN later last night I checked it and same thing. Then over an hour later I went back in and poof all is good. So, for convergence on my machine it needs to be on for more than an hour.....weird.
Craig Peer likes this.

post #51 of 58 Old 05-08-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Ah Thanks for the update.

Shawn Kelly
Panamorph, Inc.
www.panamorph.com
[email protected]
post #52 of 58 Old 07-12-2019, 07:55 AM

Anyone else add a DCR lens lately to their Sony or JVC projector ?
Th601 likes this.
post #53 of 58 Old 07-12-2019, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Good evening everyone. These may seem like silly questions, but I’m new to the projector world and I’m building my first home theater.

I understand for no hot spotting to occur that the throw for the DCR Lens is 1.4 times the width of the screen. Is that from the projector lens or the DCR Lens?

Also if I’m projecting on a 130” scope screen from 14’-2” would I have to go further back once the lens is in place?

Would I calculate my throw for my screen from the DCR lens in place or would I still calculate my throw from the projector’s lens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #54 of 58 Old 07-12-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th601 View Post
Good evening everyone. These may seem like silly questions, but I’m new to the projector world and I’m building my first home theater.

I understand for no hot spotting to occur that the throw for the DCR Lens is 1.4 times the width of the screen. Is that from the projector lens or the DCR Lens?

Also if I’m projecting on a 130” scope screen from 14’-2” would I have to go further back once the lens is in place?

Would I calculate my throw for my screen from the DCR lens in place or would I still calculate my throw from the projector’s lens?

The minimum throw distance for hotspotting is for the screen material itself. The minimum throw distance for the DCR lens is to minimize picture distortion. Measuring from the projector lens is sufficient. I'm projecting on a 128" diagonal scope screen from just under 14'. I think my lens to screen throw is 1.41:1. Works just fine.
post #55 of 58 Old 07-12-2019, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11803 Post(s)
Liked: 9343
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

You are within the minimum limits of the DCR lens, so it will work, but you are right at the minimum throw, for that size screen. What is the aspect ratio of your screen?
post #56 of 58 Old 07-12-2019, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Panamorph Paladin Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
You are within the minimum limits of the DCR lens, so it will work, but you are right at the minimum throw, for that size screen. What is the aspect ratio of your screen?

Well I don’t have the screen yet. I’m going to get a 130” 2.35:1 screen. I have the projector and a DCR lens. I debated wether or not to go ahead and mount it on the ceiling. I may just wait till I get the screen first to see how far from the wall it is once it’s mounted.

post #57 of 58 Old 07-12-2019, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11803 Post(s)
Liked: 9343
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Well I don’t have the screen yet. I’m going to get a 130” 2.35:1 screen. I have the projector and a DCR lens. I debated wether or not to go ahead and mount it on the ceiling. I may just wait till I get the screen first to see how far from the wall it is once it’s mounted.

While that will work, I would suggest getting a 130" 2.40 aspect ratio screen. It will fit better with the lens.
post #58 of 58 Old 07-13-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:

When in doubt, go direct to the source for info - https://www.panamorph.com/cinema-design-guide/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page