Panamorph Paladin Owner's Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 Old 12-11-2018, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
yankiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Panamorph Paladin Owner's Thread

Looks like Panamorph is having a special December sale on the Paladin lens system. You can get it through Craig and Mike. At that price I’m going for it (Merry Christmas to me hehe). I’ve got a JVC DLA-x990 projecting 18 feet from a 135” diagonal 2.35:1 screen so my math says that’s about a 1.73:1 throw ratio – within the spec. I have a NanoEdge screen so I’ll have to see if my 0.4” border is enough for any residual edge distortion, if not, I will just use the masking option in the JVC. If it works anything like the magic they’re talking about on the Paladin DCR owner’s thread then it seems like a steal for a lens that works up to 8K.

When I look around there doesn’t seem to be an Owner’s Thread for the standard Paladin so here we go... I will get some before and after shots once the lens is in my hands.

JVC DLA-NX9 | Panasonic UB820 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Rotel RB 993 Amp | 135" 2:35:1 Elunevision Aurora NanoEdge Ambient Light Blocking Screen | Paradigm Monitor 11 v7, Monitor Center 3 v7, Monitor Surround 3 v7, CI Pro P65-R |

Last edited by yankiy; 12-11-2018 at 11:58 AM.
yankiy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 58 Old 12-12-2018, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
TheSony4KRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 551
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankiy View Post
Looks like Panamorph is having a special December sale on the Paladin lens system. You can get it through Craig and Mike. At that price I’m going for it (Merry Christmas to me hehe). I’ve got a JVC DLA-x990 projecting 18 feet from a 135” diagonal 2.35:1 screen so my math says that’s about a 1.73:1 throw ratio – within the spec. I have a NanoEdge screen so I’ll have to see if my 0.4” border is enough for any residual edge distortion, if not, I will just use the masking option in the JVC. If it works anything like the magic they’re talking about on the Paladin DCR owner’s thread then it seems like a steal for a lens that works up to 8K.

When I look around there doesn’t seem to be an Owner’s Thread for the standard Paladin so here we go... I will get some before and after shots once the lens is in my hands.
Cool

Is there a sled alternative for this lens.....so it can slide in front of...and away from the projector at the users discretion...I cannot find a link so far.
TheSony4KRises is offline  
post #3 of 58 Old 12-12-2018, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
yankiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
Cool

Is there a sled alternative for this lens.....so it can slide in front of...and away from the projector at the users discretion...I cannot find a link so far.

I don't believe they make one. I have read of people making their own though. I personally will be leaving it intact on the projector. I can live with a slight stretch look on 16x9 content. I mostly watch movies so it should be ok for me.
TheSony4KRises likes this.

JVC DLA-NX9 | Panasonic UB820 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Rotel RB 993 Amp | 135" 2:35:1 Elunevision Aurora NanoEdge Ambient Light Blocking Screen | Paradigm Monitor 11 v7, Monitor Center 3 v7, Monitor Surround 3 v7, CI Pro P65-R |
yankiy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 58 Old 12-12-2018, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Shawn Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 968
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 109
We haven't made transports for years since the projectors and processors started having the second anamorphic mode for watching 16:9 with a fixed lens. It's also a bit more involved with today's vertical compression lenses since when you move the lens you then need to zoom/shift/focus the resulting 16:9 image down to fit the screen and then reverse that for movies.
TheSony4KRises and Rengozu like this.

Shawn Kelly
Panamorph, Inc.
www.panamorph.com
[email protected]
Shawn Kelly is offline  
post #5 of 58 Old 12-14-2018, 11:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Rengozu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: TN
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Love mine, and can say a sled isn't needed. Set it and forget it.
Craig Peer likes this.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
Rengozu is offline  
post #6 of 58 Old 12-14-2018, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,520
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11803 Post(s)
Liked: 9343
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
Cool

Is there a sled alternative for this lens.....so it can slide in front of...and away from the projector at the users discretion...I cannot find a link so far.
Horizontal expansion, you can use a sled, but not practical with vertical compression, because you would still need to use lens memory.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #7 of 58 Old 12-15-2018, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,768
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6611 Post(s)
Liked: 7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Horizontal expansion, you can use a sled, but not practical with vertical compression, because you would still need to use lens memory.
It can be done. I do it all the time, since I have 2 separate screens.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #8 of 58 Old 12-15-2018, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
TheSony4KRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 551
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I have actually been having some fun using the ISCO 1.25 with the RS600

Sure there is slight geometric distortion but I have acclimatised to it.

I preserve more light and contrast(2 factors which in my opinion are lost when zooming).

The scaling of the rs600 for the anamorphic stretch is excellent....no artefacts that I can detect.

My screen was just over 100 inches in width and I have masked it off to 88 inches(so it's fairly small by the standards of others around here).

Still for HDR , I get the a pretty good rendition at short throw and near to full zoom.


I also have a cineslide so 16:9 is not compromised in any way.

Think I may retire my Sony 1000es for a while…...was getting slightly pissed off with color banding(something which I noticed from pretty much day one when I first acquired the 1000es in 2012).

Would love to put a z1 , NX9...or 995es(assuming it does not suffer from posterization) behind the ISCO 1.25.
Craig Peer likes this.
TheSony4KRises is offline  
post #9 of 58 Old 12-15-2018, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,520
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11803 Post(s)
Liked: 9343
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
It can be done. I do it all the time, since I have 2 separate screens.
I did not say it can't be done. I said it is not practical to do so. You already said that you rarely change aspect ratios and it is very easy to walk right up to your projector lens. What about guys that ceiling mount and would need a ladder to get to their projector? What about guys like me that might change aspect ratios three or four times in an evening?
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #10 of 58 Old 12-17-2018, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
yankiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I swear... watching the transport of a package day in and day out... I'm worse than a little kid at times....


I should have the lens Wednesday. I will try and get some before and afters with my DSLR in hopes of capturing it and still doing it justice.
Craig Peer likes this.

JVC DLA-NX9 | Panasonic UB820 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Rotel RB 993 Amp | 135" 2:35:1 Elunevision Aurora NanoEdge Ambient Light Blocking Screen | Paradigm Monitor 11 v7, Monitor Center 3 v7, Monitor Surround 3 v7, CI Pro P65-R |
yankiy is offline  
post #11 of 58 Old 12-18-2018, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
yankiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Ok so from all the excitement, I forgot to take before shots. But I can definitely say without a doubt that I have much more brightness and contrast in my image. My pixel visibility from my first row seating area at 8ft is also non existent anymore. Very happy so far.

Here are a few shots of the lens attached and a shot of Lucy with the lens. My phone doesn’t really do it justice but gives a good idea.

There is a little bit of barrel distortion near the left and right side but I minimized most of it by minimally pushing it off the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	89148F3F-467F-4A45-9556-D61DD69A871F_1545189697868.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	2498488   Click image for larger version

Name:	07D72F11-F1EB-4A79-9BFE-BC96BF0B5FD4_1545189709357.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	2498490   Click image for larger version

Name:	53E8EECF-2720-4BDF-92C7-AC331DED5421_1545189849473.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	2498492   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB58B541-EF46-4B93-AE85-7E724EA60831_1545189860972.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	2498494   Click image for larger version

Name:	E0DC53C9-5D50-4F68-91BC-3EA046CE5290_1545189885677.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	2498498  

Click image for larger version

Name:	5CA5F473-5250-4E76-BB62-8D666FA9C224_1545189896085.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	2498500  
Mike Garrett and Craig Peer like this.

JVC DLA-NX9 | Panasonic UB820 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Rotel RB 993 Amp | 135" 2:35:1 Elunevision Aurora NanoEdge Ambient Light Blocking Screen | Paradigm Monitor 11 v7, Monitor Center 3 v7, Monitor Surround 3 v7, CI Pro P65-R |

Last edited by yankiy; 12-18-2018 at 07:35 PM.
yankiy is offline  
post #12 of 58 Old 12-18-2018, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,520
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11803 Post(s)
Liked: 9343
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankiy View Post
Ok so from all the excitement, I forgot to take before shots. But I can definitely say without a doubt that I have much more brightness and contrast in my image. My pixel visibility from my first row seating area at 8ft is also non existent anymore. Very happy so far.

Here are a few shots of the lens attached and a shot of Lucy with the lens. My phone doesn’t really do it justice but gives a good idea.

There is a little bit of barrel distortion near the left and right side but I minimized most of it by minimally pushing it off the screen.
Looks good. Nice Lucy picture.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #13 of 58 Old 12-19-2018, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Shawn Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 968
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 109
yankiy - thanks for making this thread and your (and to you Rengozu) kind remarks

We're getting a lot of setup / application / compatibility questions regarding the Paladin especially with the JVC eShift projectors. The Paladin lens with XM2 kit mounts directly to the Panamorph holes installed in every JVC projector going back many years and the anamorphic lens modes have been "Anamorphic A" and "Anamorphic B" going back just as long, so pretty much every JVC projector model is compatible as long as your throw distance divided by 2.4:1/2.35:1 screen width is at least 1.6:1. We have updated the product sale page to highlight compatibility with 2018 models but earlier models back to roughly 2012 will work the same way.
Rengozu likes this.

Shawn Kelly
Panamorph, Inc.
www.panamorph.com
[email protected]

Last edited by Shawn Kelly; 12-19-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Shawn Kelly is offline  
post #14 of 58 Old 12-19-2018, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
yankiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 203
The more I watch content, the more I’m loving this lens. I don’t care if it’s perceived resolution, the image on the screen looks night and day different from when I just used to zoom. The contrast, brightness and depth of the image on the screen is by far the best it’s ever been.

I’m actually contemplating skipping out on the NX7 I have on order. Being able to play my Xbox one on the 2.35:1 screen fully filled with just the slightest of stretch to it. I’ll take a picture of the Xbox one x screen shortly.

Guys, if you don’t own an anamorphic lens, I suggest you put it on your list of must haves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37072945-9A2A-436A-BC39-1E6B00381F34_1545271526281.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	2498820   Click image for larger version

Name:	C0483E65-CF09-46A8-9224-3EDD0A0A4278_1545271541945.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	2498824   Click image for larger version

Name:	70AFFEA1-1E7C-487A-A92C-B80E421F4629_1545271558943.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	2498826   Click image for larger version

Name:	2FB21664-FED8-4401-9008-9A154808EFA4_1545271573048.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	2498828   Click image for larger version

Name:	338DB428-43BE-4FB6-93FC-8ED5421D4F40_1545271588471.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	2498830  

Mike Garrett and Craig Peer like this.

JVC DLA-NX9 | Panasonic UB820 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Rotel RB 993 Amp | 135" 2:35:1 Elunevision Aurora NanoEdge Ambient Light Blocking Screen | Paradigm Monitor 11 v7, Monitor Center 3 v7, Monitor Surround 3 v7, CI Pro P65-R |

Last edited by yankiy; 12-19-2018 at 06:06 PM.
yankiy is offline  
post #15 of 58 Old 12-19-2018, 07:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Just checked the web site - it looks like this allows all content to be displayed in 2.4:1 aspect ratio, even 16:9, am I understanding correctly?
Does the JVC RS620 working with the lens "stretch" the 16:9 content to fit, and displays the 2.4:1 in original layout? Does this happen automatically?
If there is a noob thread that expains it please feel free to direct me there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
JVC RS620 | 100" Stewart ST100 Screen | Panasonic UB900 | Roku | HDFury Integral 2
Dolby Atmos 7.3.4 | Denon 4300 | miniDSP HD | Outlaw M2200 L/C/R monoblocks
HTD Level 3 L/C/R & HD65 in-wall for surrounds and Atmos
3 x PE UM15-22 sealed subwoofers & Crown XLS 2502
dgkula is offline  
post #16 of 58 Old 12-19-2018, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,520
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11803 Post(s)
Liked: 9343
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkula View Post
Just checked the web site - it looks like this allows all content to be displayed in 2.4:1 aspect ratio, even 16:9, am I understanding correctly?
Does the JVC RS620 working with the lens "stretch" the 16:9 content to fit, and displays the 2.4:1 in original layout? Does this happen automatically?
If there is a noob thread that expains it please feel free to direct me there.
Anamorphic lens is really for scope content, displayed on a scope screen. You can fill a scope screen with a 16:9 image, but it messes up the aspect ratio of the image, so that people appear short and fat. Normally you project a 16:9 image onto a scope screen, filling the height of the screen, but not filling the width. Only with scope content would you fill the height and width of the screen. What an A-lens does for you is increase image brightness on scope movies, increase pixel fill on scope movie, faster aspect ratio changes and more accurate aspect ratio changes.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #17 of 58 Old 12-20-2018, 05:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Jeffg8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankiy View Post
The more I watch content, the more I’m loving this lens. I don’t care if it’s perceived resolution, the image on the screen looks night and day different from when I just used to zoom. The contrast, brightness and depth of the image on the screen is by far the best it’s ever been.

I’m actually contemplating skipping out on the NX7 I have on order. Being able to play my Xbox one on the 2.35:1 screen fully filled with just the slightest of stretch to it. I’ll take a picture of the Xbox one x screen shortly.

Guys, if you don’t own an anamorphic lens, I suggest you put it on your list of must haves.
So just to be clear....your pleased gaming on a 2..35/2.40 screen. My chief reservation about getting a larger scope was how 16x9 and video games looked. I have a 110 16x9 2006 firehawk but have been contemplating a larger screen.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dedicated Theater -Projector -Sony 385es-Screen-Stewart Firehawk 110" 1.78-Video-Panasonic UB-900, Direct Tv-Preamp-Anthem AVM-60-Amplifiers-MM8077, Proceed Amp 5-Sub-SVS-PB13 Ultra Speakers-B&W 803D, HTM1, Side and Rear Wall B&W (4), Ceiling B&W (4)
Xbox One -Panamax M5300-PM-Control 4 Ea-5,Pakedge Router
Jeffg8 is online now  
post #18 of 58 Old 12-20-2018, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Shawn Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 968
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkula View Post
Just checked the web site - it looks like this allows all content to be displayed in 2.4:1 aspect ratio, even 16:9, am I understanding correctly?
Does the JVC RS620 working with the lens "stretch" the 16:9 content to fit, and displays the 2.4:1 in original layout? Does this happen automatically?
If there is a noob thread that expains it please feel free to direct me there.
Today's projectors with anamorphic modes include two modes - one for showing 2.4:1 movies and one for showing 16:9 content fully visible and properly formatted. However, using the 2.4:1 mode or turning them off gives you more options for watching 16:9 per your own preference. It is not automatic but it does happen instantaneously when you change the mode.

Anamorphic Mode 1 = "Anamorphic A" for JVC and "V-Stretch" for Sony
Anamorphic Mode 2 = "Anamorphic B" for JVC and "Squeeze" for Sony

Here's what the options look like ...


Shawn Kelly
Panamorph, Inc.
www.panamorph.com
[email protected]

Last edited by Shawn Kelly; 12-20-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Shawn Kelly is offline  
post #19 of 58 Old 12-20-2018, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
yankiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffg8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankiy View Post
The more I watch content, the more I’m loving this lens. I don’t care if it’s perceived resolution, the image on the screen looks night and day different from when I just used to zoom. The contrast, brightness and depth of the image on the screen is by far the best it’s ever been.

I’m actually contemplating skipping out on the NX7 I have on order. Being able to play my Xbox one on the 2.35:1 screen fully filled with just the slightest of stretch to it. I’ll take a picture of the Xbox one x screen shortly.

Guys, if you don’t own an anamorphic lens, I suggest you put it on your list of must haves.
So just to be clear....your pleased gaming on a 2..35/2.40 screen. My chief reservation about getting a larger scope was how 16x9 and video games looked. I have a 110 16x9 2006 firehawk but have been contemplating a larger screen.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yes I’m quite happy with dealing with the little bit of fattening of the image. It doesn’t phase me and now gives me a more immersive game play.

JVC DLA-NX9 | Panasonic UB820 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Rotel RB 993 Amp | 135" 2:35:1 Elunevision Aurora NanoEdge Ambient Light Blocking Screen | Paradigm Monitor 11 v7, Monitor Center 3 v7, Monitor Surround 3 v7, CI Pro P65-R |
yankiy is offline  
post #20 of 58 Old 12-20-2018, 03:05 PM
Member
 
djlemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Birmingham, MI
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankiy View Post
Looks like Panamorph is having a special December sale on the Paladin lens system. You can get it through Craig and Mike. At that price I’m going for it (Merry Christmas to me hehe). I’ve got a JVC DLA-x990 projecting 18 feet from a 135” diagonal 2.35:1 screen so my math says that’s about a 1.73:1 throw ratio – within the spec. I have a NanoEdge screen so I’ll have to see if my 0.4” border is enough for any residual edge distortion, if not, I will just use the masking option in the JVC. If it works anything like the magic they’re talking about on the Paladin DCR owner’s thread then it seems like a steal for a lens that works up to 8K.

When I look around there doesn’t seem to be an Owner’s Thread for the standard Paladin so here we go... I will get some before and after shots once the lens is in my hands.
I'm in... ordering mine!
Craig Peer and Mike Garrett like this.
djlemo is offline  
post #21 of 58 Old 12-27-2018, 07:58 AM
Newbie
 
Metasynman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankiy View Post
Looks like Panamorph is having a special December sale on the Paladin lens system. You can get it through Craig and Mike. At that price I’m going for it (Merry Christmas to me hehe). I’ve got a JVC DLA-x990 projecting 18 feet from a 135” diagonal 2.35:1 screen so my math says that’s about a 1.73:1 throw ratio – within the spec. I have a NanoEdge screen so I’ll have to see if my 0.4” border is enough for any residual edge distortion, if not, I will just use the masking option in the JVC. If it works anything like the magic they’re talking about on the Paladin DCR owner’s thread then it seems like a steal for a lens that works up to 8K.

When I look around there doesn’t seem to be an Owner’s Thread for the standard Paladin so here we go... I will get some before and after shots once the lens is in my hands.
yankiy - thanks for your post about your experience with the Paladin lens. I was wondering if your impressions are from watching e-shifted 4K content or from 1080P (normal blu-ray) content. I am most interested to learn about how it works with 1080P content. I have an eShift 4K Epson but rarely use the setting.

Thanks in advance for any additional insight you can offer.

Joe
Metasynman is offline  
post #22 of 58 Old 12-27-2018, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
yankiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasynman View Post
yankiy - thanks for your post about your experience with the Paladin lens. I was wondering if your impressions are from watching e-shifted 4K content or from 1080P (normal blu-ray) content. I am most interested to learn about how it works with 1080P content. I have an eShift 4K Epson but rarely use the setting.

Thanks in advance for any additional insight you can offer.

Joe
Hi Joe,

I have really only played 4K content as well as Xbox One X and PS4 Pro content. I will have to put on some regular Blurays and see what I get.

JVC DLA-NX9 | Panasonic UB820 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Rotel RB 993 Amp | 135" 2:35:1 Elunevision Aurora NanoEdge Ambient Light Blocking Screen | Paradigm Monitor 11 v7, Monitor Center 3 v7, Monitor Surround 3 v7, CI Pro P65-R |
yankiy is offline  
post #23 of 58 Old 12-28-2018, 07:43 AM
Newbie
 
Metasynman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankiy View Post
Hi Joe,

I have really only played 4K content as well as Xbox One X and PS4 Pro content. I will have to put on some regular Blurays and see what I get.
Thanks. Looking forward to your thoughts! I want to make sure I'll be reaping the same benefits at the 1080P level.
Metasynman is offline  
post #24 of 58 Old 12-28-2018, 01:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Rengozu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: TN
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kelly View Post
yankiy - thanks for making this thread and your (and to you Rengozu) kind remarks

We're getting a lot of setup / application / compatibility questions regarding the Paladin especially with the JVC eShift projectors. The Paladin lens with XM2 kit mounts directly to the Panamorph holes installed in every JVC projector going back many years and the anamorphic lens modes have been "Anamorphic A" and "Anamorphic B" going back just as long, so pretty much every JVC projector model is compatible as long as your throw distance divided by 2.4:1/2.35:1 screen width is at least 1.6:1. We have updated the product sale page to highlight compatibility with 2018 models but earlier models back to roughly 2012 will work the same way.
Ever since Oppo got the update adding the 21:9 ratio options I haven't even messed with using the JVC's anamorphic modes. It's a big reason I haven't switched over to the Panasonic yet, though I'm losing hope the BT.2020 mode will ever be fixed with the Oppo. With the size of my screen I prefer that mode a lot of time (seems sharper) and from what I can tell the Panasonic nails it. Since I still can't have one player that does it all, did you have a UHD player preference to combo up with the JVC RS600 and the Paladin lens?

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
Rengozu is offline  
post #25 of 58 Old 12-28-2018, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Shawn Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 968
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengozu View Post
Ever since Oppo got the update adding the 21:9 ratio options I haven't even messed with using the JVC's anamorphic modes. It's a big reason I haven't switched over to the Panasonic yet, though I'm losing hope the BT.2020 mode will ever be fixed with the Oppo. With the size of my screen I prefer that mode a lot of time (seems sharper) and from what I can tell the Panasonic nails it. Since I still can't have one player that does it all, did you have a UHD player preference to combo up with the JVC RS600 and the Paladin lens?
Actually since the JVCs have all the modes we've never needed to recommend the Oppo unless there was a need to send greater than 4K24 to the projector (the eShift models don't have anamorphic above that). We really just recommended the Oppo with the older Sony 4K projectors that didn't support any 4K inputs for anamorphic but the JVCs go way back with internal modes for the Paladin.

Shawn Kelly
Panamorph, Inc.
www.panamorph.com
[email protected]
Shawn Kelly is offline  
post #26 of 58 Old 12-29-2018, 10:25 AM
Senior Member
 
MMC57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kelly View Post
Today's projectors with anamorphic modes include two modes - one for showing 2.4:1 movies and one for showing 16:9 content fully visible and properly formatted. However, using the 2.4:1 mode or turning them off gives you more options for watching 16:9 per your own preference. It is not automatic but it does happen instantaneously when you change the mode.

Anamorphic Mode 1 = "Anamorphic A" for JVC and "V-Stretch" for Sony
Anamorphic Mode 2 = "Anamorphic B" for JVC and "Squeeze" for Sony

Here's what the options look like ...

HI

I do not fully understand the anamorphic world but I am always looking for improvements if possible.

In the future I will be replacing my Marantz 15-S1 1080P projector with a 4K projector and have noticed language like the following:

Cinematic Wide 2.4:1 Anamorphic Format
Available at local BenQ dealers, the optional Panamorph Paladin anamorphic lens delivers the immersive 2.4:1 aspect ratio of commercial cinemas without letterboxing, delivering 2 million more pixels for increased brightness and detail to recreate full cinema experiences right at home.

*Select “Anamorphic 2.35:1” or “Anamorphic 16:9” in menu with anamorphic lens.

Currently I have a 110" Stewart Firehawk Screen in a 16 x 9 format as my main use is for HD sports and movies are secondary.

I DO NOT like black bars when I watch some movies so I use V-Stretch in the projector to fill the screen but it is not perfect geometry but I prefer that over black bars.

In order to solve the "movie issue" correctly could I use a modern day projector with these new Anamorphic modes along with an Anamorphic lens to fill my existing 16 x 9 screen or does this require a new screen 2.35 or 2.40 in order to work.

My priority is to be able to watch 16x9 HD sports in perfect geomtery and filling the whole screen first and fore most. But if I would also be able to watch movies with perfect geometry and filling the whole screen as well then that would be an improvement.

If a new sized screen is required it is a big decision as I would have probably replace my wall mounted speakers and use inwalls with a new acoustically transparent screen in order to get the largest screen possible.

Look forward to any comment you have which would help me out and perhaps understand the Anamorphic world better.

Thanks in advanced.
MMC57 is offline  
post #27 of 58 Old 12-29-2018, 11:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Rengozu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: TN
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kelly View Post
Actually since the JVCs have all the modes we've never needed to recommend the Oppo unless there was a need to send greater than 4K24 to the projector (the eShift models don't have anamorphic above that). We really just recommended the Oppo with the older Sony 4K projectors that didn't support any 4K inputs for anamorphic but the JVCs go way back with internal modes for the Paladin.
Ahh, yea, I remember now. Only reason I got out of the habit of using JVC modes and going to Oppo was to see Billy Lynn in 4K60, and then I just stayed with it just incase any others went that high. Is also nice to be able to change other things going through the Oppo input as I'm not always able to change the JVC modes with devices like a Chromecast (for Netflix, Vudu . .) when run direct.

Hmm, but for BT2020 it may be time to look at the Panasonic again since I wouldn't be missing out on any ratio differences as first thought.
Thanks Shawn

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
Rengozu is offline  
post #28 of 58 Old 12-29-2018, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Shawn Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 968
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC57 View Post
HI

I do not fully understand the anamorphic world but I am always looking for improvements if possible.

In the future I will be replacing my Marantz 15-S1 1080P projector with a 4K projector and have noticed language like the following:

Cinematic Wide 2.4:1 Anamorphic Format
Available at local BenQ dealers, the optional Panamorph Paladin anamorphic lens delivers the immersive 2.4:1 aspect ratio of commercial cinemas without letterboxing, delivering 2 million more pixels for increased brightness and detail to recreate full cinema experiences right at home.

*Select “Anamorphic 2.35:1” or “Anamorphic 16:9” in menu with anamorphic lens.

Currently I have a 110" Stewart Firehawk Screen in a 16 x 9 format as my main use is for HD sports and movies are secondary.

I DO NOT like black bars when I watch some movies so I use V-Stretch in the projector to fill the screen but it is not perfect geometry but I prefer that over black bars.

In order to solve the "movie issue" correctly could I use a modern day projector with these new Anamorphic modes along with an Anamorphic lens to fill my existing 16 x 9 screen or does this require a new screen 2.35 or 2.40 in order to work.

My priority is to be able to watch 16x9 HD sports in perfect geomtery and filling the whole screen first and fore most. But if I would also be able to watch movies with perfect geometry and filling the whole screen as well then that would be an improvement.

If a new sized screen is required it is a big decision as I would have probably replace my wall mounted speakers and use inwalls with a new acoustically transparent screen in order to get the largest screen possible.

Look forward to any comment you have which would help me out and perhaps understand the Anamorphic world better.

Thanks in advanced.
To get rid of the black areas when watching 2.4:1 movies while also showing them in the proper aspect ratio definitely requires a 2.4:1 screen (2.35:1 will also work but will just be a little off for most movies). Please take a look at some of the blog posts here. After that also take a look at the Demo Theater to play around with how you would watch different content in an UltraWide anamorphic cinema. Please post any other questions/comments.

Shawn Kelly
Panamorph, Inc.
www.panamorph.com
[email protected]

Last edited by Shawn Kelly; 12-29-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Shawn Kelly is offline  
post #29 of 58 Old 01-27-2019, 05:42 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kelly View Post
Actually since the JVCs have all the modes we've never needed to recommend the Oppo unless there was a need to send greater than 4K24 to the projector (the eShift models don't have anamorphic above that). We really just recommended the Oppo with the older Sony 4K projectors that didn't support any 4K inputs for anamorphic but the JVCs go way back with internal modes for the Paladin.
Shawn, I am a newbie. I have ordered a JVC NX7 with a 140” Stewart screen. Does the Paladin lens work (easily) with the NX7? Is the intro/Xmas sale still available? Room is 24x19. Should I go to a 160” screen if I get the Paladin?
Steven Schorer is offline  
post #30 of 58 Old 01-27-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottieBoysName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,755
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankiy View Post
The more I watch content, the more I’m loving this lens. I don’t care if it’s perceived resolution, the image on the screen looks night and day different from when I just used to zoom. The contrast, brightness and depth of the image on the screen is by far the best it’s ever been.

I’m actually contemplating skipping out on the NX7 I have on order. Being able to play my Xbox one on the 2.35:1 screen fully filled with just the slightest of stretch to it. I’ll take a picture of the Xbox one x screen shortly.

Guys, if you don’t own an anamorphic lens, I suggest you put it on your list of must haves.


Do you have a scope screen or a 16:9 screen?
ScottieBoysName is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off