LG HU85L 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector Announced. - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 158Likes

post #301 of 536 Old 08-02-2019, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
I was at Value Electronics Thursday night for a demo/show. There is another one Saturday from 11 AM to 5 PM. They had two set up, one in the Salamander custom stand and the 2nd in the darkened projector room on a desktop. Very interesting how a such a big beautiful picture could be presented from a few inches away. I sat through a variety of demo's including The Dark Knight in 4K. Several customers were telling me how they were already ordering them along with the screen which was fantastic but I don't know the make or model number other than to tell you it looked like a 100 inch tv screen. I really enjoyed the main room set up with the ambient lighting on and the built in stand. I could have stayed all night in that comfortable setup. As usual, Robert Zohn and his family made the night very special. Kevin Miller was there too, always great to see him. If you have any questions about this projector, contact Robert at VE. Better still come to the show Saturday 8/3 . You won't be disappointed............
This sounds positive
What screen were they using for it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 536 Old 08-02-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 115
That I do not know as I stated above, however call VE and they can inform you on what they are using to demo the projector.
post #303 of 536 Old 08-02-2019, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That I do not know as I stated above, however call VE and they can inform you on what they are using to demo the projector.

Ha! Reading comprehension fail. Apologies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 536 Old 08-02-2019, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was there as well. Excellent demos, with great attention to detail. LG reps were in the house as well, and Kevin Miller was calibrating the projectors, Both of them. The one in the cinema theater setting was projected on a 133 inch screen and the one -outside in the lit room was on a 100 inch ALR screen..

Comparing The Dark Knight on both screens, the image looked more vibrant and colorful on the ALR screen BY FAR. Planet Eartbh looked like your were in the cinema (DOLBY Cinema level) watching it, not like the TV show that it really is. Just on another level compared to even OLED.

The salamander custom cabinet is perfect. No point in getting this set without it. And not point in getting this from ANYWHERE else but Value Electronics. Talk about another level - the setting, the feel of the demo just made you feel like you were at home unlike Big box stores like Worst Buy Madnolia where $9/hour poor schmucks think plasma gas leaks from plasmas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0954.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	2597732   Click image for larger version

Name:	58639580589__7E536EA3-7672-43EB-A31E-AF7F14637934.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	2597734  
post #305 of 536 Old 08-02-2019, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ex Verizon/NY Telephone Gene? Good discussion we had there, sitting in front of the LG if it was you.

Quote:
I was at Value Electronics Thursday night for a demo/show. There is another one Saturday from 11 AM to 5 PM. They had two set up, one in the Salamander custom stand and the 2nd in the darkened projector room on a desktop. Very interesting how a such a big beautiful picture could be presented from a few inches away. I sat through a variety of demo's including The Dark Knight in 4K. Several customers were telling me how they were already ordering them along with the screen which was fantastic but I don't know the make or model number other than to tell you it looked like a 100 inch tv screen. I really enjoyed the main room set up with the ambient lighting on and the built in stand. I could have stayed all night in that comfortable setup. As usual, Robert Zohn and his family made the night very special. Kevin Miller was there too, always great to see him. If you have any questions about this projector, contact Robert at VE. Better still come to the show Saturday 8/3 . You won't be disappointed............
post #306 of 536 Old 08-03-2019, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #307 of 536 Old 08-03-2019, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinefx View Post
Ex Verizon/NY Telephone Gene? Good discussion we had there, sitting in front of the LG if it was you.

yes..that was me. It was a pleasure meeting you. Good luck with your purchase of the projector and the setup we were watching.I really liked it with the lights and having them turned on. Hope to see you at VE again down the road.
post #308 of 536 Old 08-03-2019, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'm interested in the projector but I'm also waiting to see a proper review of it.

Grady
<<plain fan>>
post #309 of 536 Old 08-03-2019, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
yes would be great to see an in depth review
post #310 of 536 Old 08-04-2019, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Do you guys think there will be discount retailers selling this on slickdeals and greentoe?
post #311 of 536 Old 08-05-2019, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Is LG using ALPD 3.0 laser tech in this projector?

post #312 of 536 Old 08-05-2019, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on one of these things, the only thing holding me back is LG's reluctance to announce a price on the Signature R TV. In particular I'd get the projector with the Salamander unit and use a Solo 2 Pro screen.

I have a really specific use case that I don't know if it's just stupid of me to think of... Poking around in the manual I see it's an option to have audio play through the built in speaker and optical out simultaneously. Has LG ever done something like that where you're able to use the built in speaker as the center channel in a surround setup?

I remember reading that the OLED R allowed its built in speakers to be used as a center channel via WiSA and ever since then it got my brain spinning at the idea cutting down the number of components in my living room.
post #313 of 536 Old 08-05-2019, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knolly View Post
I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on one of these things, the only thing holding me back is LG's reluctance to announce a price on the Signature R TV. In particular I'd get the projector with the Salamander unit and use a Solo 2 Pro screen. Also, being able to use the projector's built-in sound bar as a centre channel would just be perfect in our usage, too!

I have a really specific use case that I don't know if it's just stupid of me to think of... Poking around in the manual I see it's an option to have audio play through the built in speaker and optical out simultaneously. Has LG ever done something like that where you're able to use the built in speaker as the center channel in a surround setup?

I remember reading that the OLED R allowed its built in speakers to be used as a center channel via WiSA and ever since then it got my brain spinning at the idea cutting down the number of components in my living room.
I am in exactly the same boat as you. I am thinking this is the projector for us, as well. I would have liked to use the Screen Innovations Solo Pro 2 as well, but for some reason, when I build it in the maximum size allowable to the Short Throw material (100", unfortunately), the maximum drop decreases to two inches, which just does not work for us in our application.

I am now thinking about using this lenticular floor riser screen, which I can get in 120" size.

http://www.vividstormscreens.com (This was offline as I write this, but hopefully just a glitch from their end). Pricing is pretty excellent, obtained through Amazon.ca.

I can find very few, if any, reviews on it, but I really like the idea of building it into a floating shelf that is bolted to the wall, with the screen rising up in front of a window.

Any thoughts, from anyone? Ideally, LG would make the rollable TV in 100" size, but I think that even in their 65", pricing is going to be astronomical!

I am likely going to hold off until I can see a review with the LG vs the Optoma P1, but am excited that it is getting close!!

Last edited by TTBear; 08-05-2019 at 01:03 PM.
post #314 of 536 Old 08-05-2019, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinefx View Post
I was there as well. Excellent demos, with great attention to detail. LG reps were in the house as well, and Kevin Miller was calibrating the projectors, Both of them. The one in the cinema theater setting was projected on a 133 inch screen and the one -outside in the lit room was on a 100 inch ALR screen..
So the spec say max 120", does it go any higher than 133 does anyone know?
post #315 of 536 Old 08-05-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
I am now thinking about using this lenticular floor riser screen, which I can get in 120" size.
For my use case a floor-rising screen is absolutely preferred as well, I just haven't found anyone that fits the holy trinity of UST, ALR, and floor-rising. Doing some searching I have found some on AliExpress that are almost certainly too good to be true...

I did email Screen Innovations hoping they might think about making one but they said it isn't on their roadmap. All of their Short Throw screens regardless of size are limited to 2" drop for some reason.

I think you and I are on the same page in terms of needs. I love technology but hate when it dominates the room so love hiding it. I think with UST projectors we are SO CLOSE to "invisible" home theater systems. Similar deal with the rollable TV, I just love the concept so much that you can have a big screen without it dominating your living room when it's off. The happy middle ground at the moment is Samsung's frame TV, but hiding the screen altogether via projector or a rollable OLED is much more elegant.
post #316 of 536 Old 08-05-2019, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 41
post #317 of 536 Old 08-05-2019, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Very curious how this LG would compare image wise to the HT9060?

post #318 of 536 Old 08-05-2019, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbquart View Post
Even though it's not an actual review yet, I really do appreciate the questions being asked of the engineers and putting them on the spot. Ex: Why white? Any black in the future? Input lag in Gaming?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #319 of 536 Old 08-05-2019, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
~65ms of input lag in gaming mode is a real bummer. Was hoping for sub 40

My Home Theater
Screen: DNP Supernova BLADE (08-85)
Projector: Espon 5040ub
Receiver: Yamaha RX-671
Speakers: DefTech 8060-ST
post #320 of 536 Old 08-05-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
For my use case a floor-rising screen is absolutely preferred as well, I just haven't found anyone that fits the holy trinity of UST, ALR, and floor-rising. Doing some searching I have found some on AliExpress that are almost certainly too good to be true...

I did email Screen Innovations hoping they might think about making one but they said it isn't on their roadmap. All of their Short Throw screens regardless of size are limited to 2" drop for some reason.

I think you and I are on the same page in terms of needs. I love technology but hate when it dominates the room so love hiding it. I think with UST projectors we are SO CLOSE to "invisible" home theater systems. Similar deal with the rollable TV, I just love the concept so much that you can have a big screen without it dominating your living room when it's off. The happy middle ground at the moment is Samsung's frame TV, but hiding the screen altogether via projector or a rollable OLED is much more elegant.
Haha - yep, when I read your post, I thought the same thing - the idea of hiding the stuff away is SO appealing to me. I thought about an in-ceiling projector mount with an actuator, but this set up is for our condo, so that was out, and a ceiling-mount projector (especially the new, huge 4K ones) sitting in the middle of the ceiling also caused me great amounts of angst, haha.

I JUST emailed Screen Innovations to ask them that exact question - whether they could do a custom ST screen with a larger drop. I guess I don't have to wait for a reply, thanks

Are you sure that the screen I mentioned above made by Vividstorm screens doesn't fit your bill? It is a floor-riser, UST, and it is ALR/lenticular. Got to YouTube, and search for the user "qiaoli zhou" - he has a few short videos of the screen, demonstrating it with a white screen for comparison. Looks very good. It is this screen: http://www.vividstormscreens.com/por...-floor-screen/

Good luck! If you find something more suitable, if you don't mind, please shoot me a message to let me know! Otherwise, I think I will pull the trigger on this screen, with the LG HU85LA or the Optoma Cinemax P1.

Cheers!
post #321 of 536 Old 08-06-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Haha - yep, when I read your post, I thought the same thing - the idea of hiding the stuff away is SO appealing to me. I thought about an in-ceiling projector mount with an actuator, but this set up is for our condo, so that was out, and a ceiling-mount projector (especially the new, huge 4K ones) sitting in the middle of the ceiling also caused me great amounts of angst, haha.

I JUST emailed Screen Innovations to ask them that exact question - whether they could do a custom ST screen with a larger drop. I guess I don't have to wait for a reply, thanks

Are you sure that the screen I mentioned above made by Vividstorm screens doesn't fit your bill? It is a floor-riser, UST, and it is ALR/lenticular. Got to YouTube, and search for the user "qiaoli zhou" - he has a few short videos of the screen, demonstrating it with a white screen for comparison. Looks very good. It is this screen: http://www.vividstormscreens.com/por...-floor-screen/

Good luck! If you find something more suitable, if you don't mind, please shoot me a message to let me know! Otherwise, I think I will pull the trigger on this screen, with the LG HU85LA or the Optoma Cinemax P1.

Cheers!
I admit I totally didn't look at that as closely at your link as I should have. I realized I actually found a listing for this on Amazon a while back. The price really isn't too bad but the one customer video leaves quite a bit to be desired for me... It could be worth giving it a shot, especially with Amazon's return policy. The way they present that product ticks all of the right boxes though, so if it delivers on what it advertises it could be a really solid fit.

Another option I found is this, but when none of the big screen companies make a screen that is floor rising, ALR, and UST, I have to wonder is a no name brand really going to "figure it out?" Or is this just so small of a niche that none of the bigger companies can be bothered?

I'm also waiting on the Optoma P1 before making a final decision. Truth be told even if I went with the LG I'd have to wait for the black one since I think the white unit would stick out like a sore thumb on a dark Salamander console. Good luck to you finding the perfect setup as well! There's gotta be a term for hidden-theater-in-a-console setups, maybe the world will catch up with us one day, haha.
post #322 of 536 Old 08-06-2019, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
I am in exactly the same boat as you. I am thinking this is the projector for us, as well. I would have liked to use the Screen Innovations Solo Pro 2 as well, but for some reason, when I build it in the maximum size allowable to the Short Throw material (100", unfortunately), the maximum drop decreases to two inches, which just does not work for us in our application.

Now, this literally made my day, very interesting solution to be checked out. Will dig into this a bit more...thanks for the advice! Always had my eyes on a 'classic' XYScreen ALR thing, but this might actually be worth investigating!
post #323 of 536 Old 08-06-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdoom2k View Post
Now, this literally made my day, very interesting solution to be checked out. Will dig into this a bit more...thanks for the advice! Always had my eyes on a 'classic' XYScreen ALR thing, but this might actually be worth investigating!
Got some good news for the floor rising screens.

I pinged Elite Screens and they said in November they plan on releasing a Kestrel CLR model line of motorized floor-rising UST screens!
drdoom2k and TTBear like this.
post #324 of 536 Old 08-06-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 622
64ms lag time is really disappointing
post #325 of 536 Old 08-06-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:

I pinged Elite Screens and they said in November they plan on releasing a Kestrel CLR model line of motorized floor-rising UST screens!

Oh no way! That is stellar news. Thanks for letting us know.
Knolly likes this.
post #326 of 536 Old 08-06-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Quoted: 12556 Post(s)
Liked: 10173
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
64ms lag time is really disappointing
High lag because this projector uses the 0.47 chip, so rather than shifting twice, it shifts four times. The 0.47 chip gives up some sharpness over the larger 0.66" chip that was used in some of the earlier DLP's like the HT9050, HT9060, LK970 and LK990.
post #327 of 536 Old 08-06-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Knolly, did they happen to mention what sizing they will be offering, and if it will be tab-tensioned? Thanks again!
post #328 of 536 Old 08-06-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Knolly, did they happen to mention what sizing they will be offering, and if it will be tab-tensioned? Thanks again!
Unfortunately not, pretty light on details at the moment, this was the full text I got:

Quote:
In follow up , ELITE SCREENS will be introducing our” KESTREL CLR” models in late NOV....The Kestrel Clr models will be motorized floor screens and will have our CLR surface.

...as well we will be introducing our new “ PRESENTATION CLR “ line... which will be portable non motorized screens with a CLR surface.

We do not have model info , specs, nor pricing as of yet... since the models are on our roadmap.

Please ck back with me later in early Nov as we should have the specs and pricing for those new lines, then. And again, stock is expected in by end of Nov.
TTBear likes this.
post #329 of 536 Old 08-06-2019, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
High lag because this projector uses the 0.47 chip, so rather than shifting twice, it shifts four times. The 0.47 chip gives up some sharpness over the larger 0.66" chip that was used in some of the earlier DLP's like the HT9050, HT9060, LK970 and LK990.
My understanding is they are using the . 66 chip on the LG. That's what Robert @value Electronics said.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
post #330 of 536 Old 08-06-2019, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm also waiting on the Optoma P1 before making a final decision. Truth be told even if I went with the LG I'd have to wait for the black one since I think the white unit would stick out like a sore thumb on a dark Salamander console.
The white is not a deal breaker, a sheet of black vinyl from a local sign shop would instantly solve that.
The input lag is the only thing that gives me pause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page