LG HU85L 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector Announced. - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 145Likes

post #451 of 491 Old 09-10-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by eL777 View Post
Couple more images of my set up.

Love it!!! Like a previous poster said, add a second sub for symmetry. That's the catch all excuse when trying to convince the spouse of an impending purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eL777 likes this.

LG OLED-65C7P / Denon AVR-X4300H / Klipsch RP-280F (L/R) / Klipsch RP-450C / Klipsch RP-150M (x4) / Klipsch RP-140SA (Atmos) / HSU VTF-3 MK5 DualDrive / PS4 Pro / Xbox One X / AppleTV 4K / Logitech Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 491 Old 09-10-2019, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post
Love it!!! Like a previous poster said, add a second sub for symmetry. That's the catch all excuse when trying to convince the spouse of an impending purchase.

Hahaha - oh yes. Symmetry is everything. It makes for good chi, or feng shui. It is of paramount importance.

Can't underestimate its value

Quote:
That look great! What size is the screen? Thanks!
ERuiz likes this.
post #453 of 491 Old 09-10-2019, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
Hahaha - oh yes. Symmetry is everything. It makes for good chi, or feng shui. It is of paramount importance.

Can't underestimate its value

That look great! What size is the screen? Thanks!
I'm using the EliteScreens CLR 120" screen. It's fantastic.
TTBear likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 491 Old 09-10-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I'm using the EliteScreens CLR 120" screen. It's fantastic.
That is great to hear! I have a 110" Vividstorm floor riser (which is actually 116" on the diagonal). I ordered a sample of the Elite Screens CLR material, and compared it to the Vividstorm material. They are identical (except the Elite Screens material had a thin plastic layer on the back, but the front surface was exactly the same, in appearance, and function), so I am hoping to have the best of both worlds - great ALR function, and the capacity to make my screen disappear. (At least to tide me over, until I can get a look at the Elite Screen new floor riser...)

Thanks for the info!
post #455 of 491 Old 09-10-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is great to hear! I have a 110" Vividstorm floor riser (which is actually 116" on the diagonal). I ordered a sample of the Elite Screens CLR material, and compared it to the Vividstorm material. They are identical (except the Elite Screens material had a thin plastic layer on the back, but the front surface was exactly the same, in appearance, and function), so I am hoping to have the best of both worlds - great ALR function, and the capacity to make my screen disappear. (At least to tide me over, until I can get a look at the Elite Screen new floor riser...)

Thanks for the info!
You have PM, buddy =)

LG OLED-65C7P / Denon AVR-X4300H / Klipsch RP-280F (L/R) / Klipsch RP-450C / Klipsch RP-150M (x4) / Klipsch RP-140SA (Atmos) / HSU VTF-3 MK5 DualDrive / PS4 Pro / Xbox One X / AppleTV 4K / Logitech Harmony Elite
post #456 of 491 Old 09-10-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another video uploaded to YouTube by someone with the same combo I will soon have... Jesus, this wait is killing me!

drdoom2k and TTBear like this.

post #457 of 491 Old 09-10-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Very clean setup! 👍

Impressions of the LG so far, especially contrast compared to the OLED?

Question: is your center channel speakers ported at the rear? Just curious, wondering if the air from the port when playing loud will affect the projector.

Thanks.

Theater: Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12, Optoma HD80 on 100" Elite Aeon screen
Bedroom: Yamaha WXA50, Samsung Q6FN (2018), Martin Logan Motion LX16, Pro SW100P 10" sub
Gaming: Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
post #458 of 491 Old 09-10-2019, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
My LG HU85LA is set to be delivered by UPS tomorrow! And my Vividstorm 120" motorized pull-up ALR screen has been shipped today and should arrive in a week or so. And finally, I gave my local custom cabinet maker a copy of a sketch I drew of the media center I have in mind, and I should be getting a quote tomorrow. As you can see, everything is starting to finally come together for me and hopefully have everything done by the end of the month! I will definitely post pics of the finished home theater.

BTW, in case you are wondering, my custom cabinet was inspired by Salamander Designs' custom cabinet for the HU85LA, where the projector will be concealed inside the cabinet. And I also will be concealing inside the cabinet, the Vividstorm 120" motorized pull-up screen. Should be a very clean build when it's all said and done.

Can’t wait to see it, that’s pretty much my dream HT setup.
TTBear likes this.
post #459 of 491 Old 09-10-2019, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Quoted: 12323 Post(s)
Liked: 9944
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennutt View Post
Needs a second sub, you know... for symmetry

Symmetry is a sub in every corner.
bennutt and TTBear like this.
post #460 of 491 Old 09-10-2019, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Symmetry is a sub in every corner.

post #461 of 491 Old 09-10-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
Can’t wait to see it, that’s pretty much my dream HT setup.
Me, too - I am in the same boat as ERuiz, except he already has his projector, and I already have my screen, haha

I am expecting my projector on Friday! Can't wait. Hopefully, it's not delayed, so that'll give me the weekend to play around with it.
post #462 of 491 Old 09-10-2019, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Me, too - I am in the same boat as ERuiz, except he already has his projector, and I already have my screen, haha

I am expecting my projector on Friday! Can't wait. Hopefully, it's not delayed, so that'll give me the weekend to play around with it.

Technically not yet, I'll get the projector tomorrow!

post #463 of 491 Old 09-10-2019, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I got mine last week also using with an Elite screens CLR 120 inch. I adjusted the picture settings using some of the suggested settings on several of the reviews and the picture is spectacular. Great for sports, movies, netflix 4k etc. I had an Optoma GT55000+ before this projector which was pretty good for 1080p, but this blows it away in all aspects. The contrast in a dark room is great. It is still very watchable in a brightly lit room (I have lots of windows on 2 sides of the room). I don't have much of a frame of reference to compare with but the black levels seem to be great. They are not on par with an OLED obviously but good for a projector.
The out of the box settings were disappointing and I initially wondered WTF but with after adjusting the picture settings this thing is outstanding. It is silent as well which is somewhat important to me as well. I can't imagine anyone will be unhappy with this projector.
post #464 of 491 Old 09-10-2019, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbever View Post
I got mine last week also using with an Elite screens CLR 120 inch. I adjusted the picture settings using some of the suggested settings on several of the reviews and the picture is spectacular. Great for sports, movies, netflix 4k etc. I had an Optoma GT55000+ before this projector which was pretty good for 1080p, but this blows it away in all aspects. The contrast in a dark room is great. It is still very watchable in a brightly lit room (I have lots of windows on 2 sides of the room). I don't have much of a frame of reference to compare with but the black levels seem to be great. They are not on par with an OLED obviously but good for a projector.
The out of the box settings were disappointing and I initially wondered WTF but with after adjusting the picture settings this thing is outstanding. It is silent as well which is somewhat important to me as well. I can't imagine anyone will be unhappy with this projector.

Awesome, thanks for the quick review. To be honest, using OLED black levels as a baseline for determining black levels on ANY projector is unfair. I think we are doing ourselves a disservice when we try to evaluate a projectors black level by comparing it to an OLED.

I strongly believe, based on feedback from guys like yourself and others, that this projector is an excellent one and black levels are excellent, considering the price and the fact that it's an UST geared more towards a typical living room and not a pitch black, bat cave.

Share some pics!!

post #465 of 491 Old 09-10-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Would you mind pointing me in the direction of the reviews with the picture settings? I have my weekend booked to play with the new projector/screen.... haha.

Thanks!
post #466 of 491 Old 09-10-2019, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the quick review. To be honest, using OLED black levels as a baseline for determining black levels on ANY projector is unfair. I think we are doing ourselves a disservice when we try to evaluate a projectors black level by comparing it to an OLED.

I strongly believe, based on feedback from guys like yourself and others, that this projector is an excellent one and black levels are excellent, considering the price and the fact that it's an UST geared more towards a typical living room and not a pitch black, bat cave.

Share some pics!!

Dear ERuiz

Do you see any light bolder outside the screen? Sorry for I haven't read over all post in this thread.

Anthony

Anthony Chan
AV Blog: http://www.avnewbie.com
System: 5.3.4
Panasonic DMP-UB900EBK, Egreat A5, Anthem AVM60, Krell KAV2250 X 2, Theater Amplifier Standard, M&K S-150 X 5, SS150 X 4, Martin Logan Descent-i and Thiel SS 2, SS2.2 and SI 1 Integrator, Benq HT1075, JK 126" Fixed Screen N4-FL/W1
post #467 of 491 Old 09-11-2019, 04:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by chhanthony View Post
Dear ERuiz

Do you see any light bolder outside the screen? Sorry for I haven't read over all post in this thread.

Anthony
Is an ALR necessary with a UST if one has good light control? Do these projectors bounce more light off the screen than a normal projector?

Some guy
post #468 of 491 Old 09-11-2019, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here are a couple of the reviews I used to derive the picture settings. I found they both produced great results but I tended to like the second one's settings more esp re contrast settings. I am still playing with them

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/

https://www.projectorreviews.com/rev...r-living-room/
TTBear likes this.
post #469 of 491 Old 09-11-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dear ERuiz

Anthony

I still don't have the projector, so I can't really tell you. Mine is set to be delivered today while the screen is set to be delivered on Friday. I'll most likely be able to tell you during the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo123 View Post
Is an ALR necessary with a UST if one has good light control? Do these projectors bounce more light off the screen than a normal projector?

From what I have been reading, yes, an ALR is HIGHLY recommended, especially one specifically designed for UST projectors.
chhanthony likes this.

post #470 of 491 Old 09-11-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Dear ERuiz

Anthony
There is a light border around the screen that I could not get rid of with adjusting via keystone or moving the projector. This border is more apparent with black screens (black bars) or dark scenes in general. I did solve the issue by using LED strips behind the screen for bias lighting.
chhanthony likes this.
post #471 of 491 Old 09-11-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Here are a couple of the reviews I used to derive the picture settings. I found they both produced great results but I tended to like the second one's settings more esp re contrast settings. I am still playing with them

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/

https://www.projectorreviews.com/rev...r-living-room/
That is stellar, thank you!!!
post #472 of 491 Old 09-11-2019, 07:57 AM

i found this short video - it really shows the difference that an ALR screen makes, with ambient lighting present. (With HU85LA, to maintain some relevancy ):

ERuiz likes this.
post #473 of 491 Old 09-11-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i found this short video - it really shows the difference that an ALR screen makes, with ambient lighting present. (With HU85LA, to maintain some relevancy ):

https://youtu.be/5OmoMqXfHdE
WOW! Like day and night! Thanks for sharing.

post #474 of 491 Old 09-11-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post
Very clean setup! 👍

Impressions of the LG so far, especially contrast compared to the OLED?

Question: is your center channel speakers ported at the rear? Just curious, wondering if the air from the port when playing loud will affect the projector.

Thanks.
My center is ported at the rear and I felt around it last night while playing something loud and didn't notice anything abnormal with the projector. It seemed fine.

Edit: Adding impressions. Contrast doesn't compare to LG OLED, I don't think any projector probably could. That's not to say that it's bad but OLED is perfect contrast. Image quality overall is excellent though. Colors pop, blacks look good (not OLED but good), details are sharp. I'm very impressed and glad I switched to a bigger screen.
Troy LaMont likes this.
post #475 of 491 Old 09-11-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
i found this short video - it really shows the difference that an ALR screen makes, with ambient lighting present. (With HU85LA, to maintain some relevancy [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] ):

Best demonstration of ALR and UST working together yet. Thank you. Needs to be broken out to it's own thread. This will be helpful to many people.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #476 of 491 Old 09-11-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

https://youtu.be/5OmoMqXfHdE
man, that looks good, I might have to splurge on that motorized floor ALR screen afterall, damn

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #477 of 491 Old 09-13-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Super cool set up. Question - what's the dark line (shadow?) directly down from the middle of the screen?

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #478 of 491 Old 09-13-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Super cool set up. Question - what's the dark line (shadow?) directly down from the middle of the screen?
Thanks!

It's a hard plastic cable hider that I'm using to hide the LED strip power cable. I painted it a slightly darker color than the wall (by accident) but it's close enough and isn't a distraction for me.
post #479 of 491 Old 09-13-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Thanks!

It's a hard plastic cable hider that I'm using to hide the LED strip power cable. I painted it a slightly darker color than the wall (by accident) but it's close enough and isn't a distraction for me.
Oh gotcha, and of course that makes sense as those pesky LEDs are not self-powered

Have to say that the set up on V E's home page video (a customer installation) is super slick, but your might be even slicker

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #480 of 491 Old 09-13-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Oh gotcha, and of course that makes sense as those pesky LEDs are not self-powered

Have to say that the set up on V E's home page video (a customer installation) is super slick, but your might be even slicker
Thanks again, I worked a long time trying to figure out the best configuration for my space. It's not perfect but I like it a lot better than the 65" OLED hanging on the wall (too small).

The set up on V E's homepage is very nice. Those Salamander cabinets are awesome but I didn't want to drop several more grand for one. I modified my cabinet a bit and it works lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page