LG HU85L 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector Announced. - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 165Likes

post #541 of 556 Old 10-25-2019, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Calibration Settings

Just got done setting up this projector and WOW. It is amazing. The color and sharpness is fantastic. Question for people who own it and calibrated their projectors. Does any one have any calibrated settings that they could share? Found a few only but they mentioned some settings that aren't present on the projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 556 Old 10-28-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna G Pai View Post
The screen I am using is an SI ust screen. It’s expensive , but I replaced my TV of 10 years with this ; so I don’t mind spending a bit. There’s no brighter patch in the middle , that’s just the image in this case. I can post more dark room images later - here’s one in ambient light to compare. I prefer viewing in dark room more , esp for dark scenes.
Looks pretty nice overall. Question from your darker photo...I wonder if a black felt mat or something similar laid over the top would cut down on the top of the PJ reflecting?

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #543 of 556 Old 10-28-2019, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by golcarfel View Post
Just got done setting up this projector and WOW. It is amazing. The color and sharpness is fantastic. Question for people who own it and calibrated their projectors. Does any one have any calibrated settings that they could share? Found a few only but they mentioned some settings that aren't present on the projector.
how is the 3d?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 556 Old 10-28-2019, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodof View Post
how is the 3d?

The HU85LA does not have 3D capability.
post #545 of 556 Old 10-28-2019, 02:24 PM

I had a very pleasant surprise this past weekend.

I have never used HDMI ARC before, so it was a cool surprise when I noticed that I was controlling my NVidia Shield TV with the LG's remote control! Yes, I know - that is old news for most of you guys, but I have been out of the Home Theatre game for a while, haha.
imhotep6 and jbl_lvr like this.
post #546 of 556 Old 10-29-2019, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 409
LG HU85L 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector Announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post

I have never used HDMI ARC before, so it was a cool surprise when I noticed that I was controlling my NVidia Shield TV with the LG's remote control! Yes, I know - that is old news for most of you guys, but I have been out of the Home Theatre game for a while, haha.

ARC is “Audio Return Channel” which honestly I’ve forgotten exactly what it does. What your referring to is CEC “Consumer Electronics Control”.
post #547 of 556 Old 10-29-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
ARC is “Audio Return Channel” which honestly I’ve forgotten exactly what it does. What your referring to is CEC “Consumer Electronics Control”.
Hmmmmmm

This is what I found?

HDMI ARC stands for "High Definition Multimedia Interface Audio Return Channel". ARC allows for the "upstream" and "downstream" of signals over a single HDMI connection between your TV and any ARC-equipped A/V deices. This allows for the use of a single remote for all of your connected devices most common functions.

Perhaps CEC is a subset function of ARC?

Regardless, it was an awesome discovery for me!

Last edited by TTBear; 10-29-2019 at 09:57 AM.
post #548 of 556 Old 10-29-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Hmmmmmm

This is what I found?

HDMI ARC stands for "High Definition Multimedia Interface Audio Return Channel". ARC allows for the "upstream" and "downstream" of signals over a single HDMI connection between your TV and any ARC-equipped A/V deices. This allows for the use of a single remote for all of your connected devices most common functions.

Perhaps CEC is a subset function of ARC?

Regardless, it was an awesome discovery for me!
ARC is basically a way to get the audio *from* your TV (usually the in-built apps) traveling down the HDMI cable to your receiver (or sound bar if that's your jam).

CEC allows components to 'talk' to one another over HDMI to do things like change inputs, volume, on/off, etc. automatically. HOWEVER it's usually awful in practice because each MFR has their own implementation and despite "standards" they somehow can't get it right for the most part.

Double True!
post #549 of 556 Old 11-09-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked: 432
post #550 of 556 Old 11-09-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Wow they even mention that in their "Verdict." I wonder if they got a dud?

Double True!
post #551 of 556 Old 11-10-2019, 02:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Wow they even mention that in their "Verdict." I wonder if they got a dud?

I guess they must have because here's another review, which gives similar results to the first 3 reviews:

https://www.projectorreviews.com/lg/...r-performance/
post #552 of 556 Old 11-16-2019, 04:44 PM

I suppose it was inevitable - with the P1 coming in at a much lower price point, and reviews for it being stellar, pricing for the LG almost inevitably had to come down.

I just noticed that the price in Canada came down from $8000 to $6500 on Amazon (Top Choices is the vendor).

I think is getting towards much more realistic pricing for this unit.
Nihar P likes this.
post #553 of 556 Old 11-24-2019, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mine came in a few days ago and now I'm basically just waiting on the 120" screen to arrive from Elite Screens so that I can start swapping my set-up over from my 92" rptv. Since 2008 I've used a Harmony One to control everything, but the HU85 appears to not use IR. So my question for everyone that has the HU85 that wants to or is using a "centralized" remote system to control all of their components and activities, what are you using or what do you recommend? I know the Harmony Elite type systems operate with a hub and do Bluetooth, WiFi, IR, etc., but I REALLY DISLIKE that they do not have physical number keys and that's the main thing that has kept me hanging onto the Harmony One's in my den and bedroom for this long and not "upgrade" to the newer ones. One of the things I love about the Harmony system is that you can set it up and program it yourself so that you can add and tweak as you need/want to. My dealer handles URC, but they have to do all the programming. My buddy there said they have (or came out with) one that is initially programed by the dealer and then the customer can add/tweak afterwards, but said it was a complete mess. I don't know if it was just non-techy customers that just couldn't figure it out, or if the system really is/was not good or really was too complicated for someone that doesn't have deep experience doing that type of stuff.

With Thanksgiving being here in four days, I'm not anticipating having it installed until probably the first week of December(I'm having them install the screen, because it's gonna be a slight pain. The screen is going to have to be floated off of the wall probably at least 2.5"-3" to clear the crown molding, because it's going to have to be within 1" of the ceiling), so I have a little bit to get the remote situation figured out. I haven't completely ruled the Harmony Elite out(if it will work with it) since I'm familiar with the base system and it's affordable and I really like that I can do all the set-up and programming myself. The cost and the "unfriendliness" of programming has me less than excited about the URC stuff, but I don't know how deep the options really go for me now, since this projector doesn't use IR. I haven't been keeping up with the home theater world for a while, so I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Last edited by Run&Gun; 11-24-2019 at 12:46 AM.
post #554 of 556 Old 11-25-2019, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

What did you do to get the magic remote to work with the nvidia shield TV? I have been trying to control my shield with it but have been unable to.
post #555 of 556 Old 11-25-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks
Not physical buttons, but I'm pretty sure you can make a page that's a number keypad on the harmony. Make it the default for your TV activity, or at least a page you can swipe to. Honestly the Harmony hub-based remotes are so good that I don't see any reason to go to the higher $ stuff.

Double True!
post #556 of 556 Old 11-25-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golcarfel View Post
What did you do to get the magic remote to work with the nvidia shield TV? I have been trying to control my shield with it but have been unable to.
I ran the feed from my Shield to my Marantz SR6012 through "AUX". Ran the HDMI out to the projector's HDMI ARC input, and it just...... worked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page