LG HU85L 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector Announced. - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 190Likes

post #631 of 717 Old 01-07-2020, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Too me it would ruin my movie experience if the noise of the fan or coil whine could be heard on low volume scenes. Another problem i have with it is gaming input lag which is at around 55ms on game mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 717 Old 01-07-2020, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
Don't get what's with black color fascination. Just like with cars black color shows scratches and dirt/dust/fingerprints easily unlike white.
Kind of a strange reply on a home theater forum. Why would you want a large white object in your field of view between you and the projection screen, literally only inches away from it? Personally, I like black. I hated it when TV manufacturers made everything grey or silver in the early days of HDTV. I had to live for about three years with a giant silver/grey eyesore that was my first 60" HD Sony rear projection set. If it had been black or another dark color, it wouldn't have been nearly as bad. Finally they came to their senses and started making things in black/dark grey again.

I guess LG was marketing this to a different demo... The "hip, cool, sophisticated" people who have huge open floor plans and want to sit it on a $10,000 credenza and it "not look like a projector" and shoot the image on a wall.
post #633 of 717 Old 01-09-2020, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Yeah I agree the 'white before black' was a weird choice. I get the lifestyle push, but, come on. That said, if I got one it'd go in something like the Salamander where it'd be (mostly) out of site. I'd still worry somewhat about the bounce light reflection off the top of the cabinet.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 717 Old 01-09-2020, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have had this projector for 5 months. It has been great. The white color is a total non-issue. It is a very quiet projector. The hdd noise from my directv dvr is way louder than this projector. It is barely audible. I have not seen any rainbow artefact but in all honesty I'm not sure if I would recognize it.

4k streaming from Amazon ie the Expanse and from Disney (think Mandelorian despite hdr Disney issues) is phenomenal.

I don't think you need the salamander designs credenza unless you want to blow another 3000.00

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #635 of 717 Old 01-09-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Yeah I agree the 'white before black' was a weird choice. I get the lifestyle push, but, come on. That said, if I got one it'd go in something like the Salamander where it'd be (mostly) out of site. I'd still worry somewhat about the bounce light reflection off the top of the cabinet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbever View Post
I have had this projector for 5 months. It has been great. The white color is a total non-issue. It is a very quiet projector. The hdd noise from my directv dvr is way louder than this projector. It is barely audible. I have not seen any rainbow artefact but in all honesty I'm not sure if I would recognize it.

4k streaming from Amazon ie the Expanse and from Disney (think Mandelorian despite hdr Disney issues) is phenomenal.

I don't think you need the salamander designs credenza unless you want to blow another 3000.00

I'm kind lucky in my set-up. It fits almost completely behind my center channel on top of my component cabinet, but I can still see some of it from my seating position(all of the right side exhaust vents and a tiny bit of the top). Last night I did notice a little light bounce back onto the screen in the letterbox bar on the bottom directly above/in-front of the projector. All lights in the room were out. I'm contemplating making a cover for the top out of maybe flat poster board or similar or even black velvet. Side Note: I just added an IR repeater so that I could get the center channel completely centered in front of the projector. It only sticks out about 1/4-1/2 inch on each side, now.

I saw the recessed Salamander cabinets, and while it's a decent idea, they are ridiculously expensive(about half as much as I have in the projector and screen). The only real benefit I think I'd get is that the projector would be lower/closer to the floor, so I could have had the screen mounted lower. I'd like it about a foot lower. Right now it's about an inch from the ceiling. But then the center channel would be almost on the floor...
post #636 of 717 Old 01-18-2020, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I’m really considering for a smaller apartment I’m about to build. It would go in the living room as the dedicated main display. Would do it all from watching movies, sports, tv shows, and playing games. I currently have a JVC DLAX570. I’d watch stuff during the day and at night when it would be completely dark. Will I be happy with this? It seems like I would be but not enough feedback for me on how this looks at night/dark rooms. I’m going to go check one out in the next couple weeks but I’m very interested in it. Would go with an Elite screens 120” CLR screen. Thanks!!
post #637 of 717 Old 01-19-2020, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbever View Post

Tbever,

I'm looking at picking up this projector, and I just read the following in a review from wccftech:

"There is only one caveat that I can report on from my testing: I was not able to hit the company's claimed maximum size of 120 inch without significant distortion/blurring occurring in the outer edges. In my testing, the maximum size with almost no distortion/blurring was 110 inches."

I think you have a 120 in. screen, right? Are you experiencing the same kind of distortion/blurring with your unit? Not sure if wccftech possibly had a defective unit or if this is a potential limitation of the projector.

Thanks!
post #638 of 717 Old 01-19-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Klimo View Post
Tbever,

I'm looking at picking up this projector, and I just read the following in a review from wccftech:

"There is only one caveat that I can report on from my testing: I was not able to hit the company's claimed maximum size of 120 inch without significant distortion/blurring occurring in the outer edges. In my testing, the maximum size with almost no distortion/blurring was 110 inches."

I think you have a 120 in. screen, right? Are you experiencing the same kind of distortion/blurring with your unit? Not sure if wccftech possibly had a defective unit or if this is a potential limitation of the projector.

Thanks!
I have not run any type of test patterns through mine, but from the few weeks that I've had mine(w/120" ES UST CLR screen) I'd say possibly bad unit or user error. They are very sensitive to placement/alignment to the screen. Even with the adjustable feet, we had to shim one or two of my feet to try to square the image up with the screen to minimize keystoning and I've actually gone back and started from scratch vs. my installers placement, because I think mine has "settled"(more correctly I think the cabinet on the carpet has been settling as it's sitting in a different place than the last 12 years).

As a matter of fact, I believe I saw someone say that they were actually able to get a 140" image and still focus the projector.
post #639 of 717 Old 01-20-2020, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
I have not run any type of test patterns through mine, but from the few weeks that I've had mine(w/120" ES UST CLR screen) I'd say possibly bad unit or user error. They are very sensitive to placement/alignment to the screen. Even with the adjustable feet, we had to shim one or two of my feet to try to square the image up with the screen to minimize keystoning and I've actually gone back and started from scratch vs. my installers placement, because I think mine has "settled"(more correctly I think the cabinet on the carpet has been settling as it's sitting in a different place than the last 12 years).

As a matter of fact, I believe I saw someone say that they were actually able to get a 140" image and still focus the projector.
Thanks for the info! Yeah, that was the first time I saw someone mention having any kind of trouble using this projector at 120 inches. Of course, I went back through a number of reviews, and most of them appear to be using screens under that size...but I'm glad you haven't experienced any distortion/blurring issues. I appreciate the help.
post #640 of 717 Old 01-20-2020, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7621 Post(s)
Liked: 7693
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorn34 View Post
The only thing keeping me from buy the LG HU85LA is the fan noise. i might have to sacrifice size and get a 85 inch sony which i dont really want to do. unless there is a way to place the lg in a custom made tv unit to keep sound at a minimum i dont see myself buying it.
It would have to have the proper ventilation but I bet you could still build a hush box to cut a lot of that noise out.......
post #641 of 717 Old 01-20-2020, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Kind of a strange reply on a home theater forum. Why would you want a large white object in your field of view between you and the projection screen, literally only inches away from it? Personally, I like black. I hated it when TV manufacturers made everything grey or silver in the early days of HDTV. I had to live for about three years with a giant silver/grey eyesore that was my first 60" HD Sony rear projection set. If it had been black or another dark color, it wouldn't have been nearly as bad. Finally they came to their senses and started making things in black/dark grey again.

I guess LG was marketing this to a different demo... The "hip, cool, sophisticated" people who have huge open floor plans and want to sit it on a $10,000 credenza and it "not look like a projector" and shoot the image on a wall.
Same question back to you why would you want a black object in your field of view... with a visible layer of dust added to it... Yeah, that's how it's been on black VHS/DVD/Blu-ray players etc... I actually preferred silver color when I could for those devices. For TV itself I would stick with black though for aesthetic purposes. In general white color for projectors is more practical and blends in better with environment, unless you have black ceiling and walls.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield

Last edited by klas; 01-20-2020 at 10:27 AM.
post #642 of 717 Old 01-20-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Same question back to you why would you want a black object in your field of view... with a visible layer of dust added to it... Yeah, that's how it's been on black VHS/DVD/Blu-ray players etc... I actually preferred silver color when I could for those devices. For TV itself I would stick with black though for aesthetic purposes. In general white color for projectors is more practical and blends in better with environment, unless you have black ceiling and walls.
Well, ideally you wouldn't have anything between you and the screen, but that's not real life, in a lot of cases. Plus a black object is going to blend-in and disappear or be MUCH less noticeable. I'd rather take seven seconds and run a Swiffer Duster over the top once or twice a week(which you're gonna have to do anyway because of the lens) than have a white box sitting in front of me. And 99.99% of UST projectors are not mounted to the ceiling, they are a few inches in front of and below the screen. Yes, you can mount them to the ceiling, but then you'd have to flip the UST/CLR screen and it's not going to be as effective at rejecting stray/ambient light. There is also the possibility of having the light coming off of the screen reflect/bounce off of the white projector body at that close a distance(7" in this case) and back onto the screen. I actually noticed it with mine on bright scenes in letterboxed content. It was slightly washing out the central portion of the bottom letterbox bar. I ended up covering the top of mine with black felt.

I can see having white for a ceiling mounted projector being an option, depending on your environment, but UST projectors are a completely different animal.
post #643 of 717 Old 01-22-2020, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 403
I'm thinking about one of these for my media room instead of upgrading to an 82" Samsung QLED. I'm coming from a 1st Gen 4K Vizio P70 70" with no HDR.

What are people using for screens? I'm thinking either the 100" Screen Innovations Zero Edge Pro with the short throw material, or the 100" Elite Screens AEON CLR with the StarBright CLR material.

I'm pretty sure the SI screen is better, but how much of a difference will I notice between the two screens? The Elite screen is quite a bit more affordable.

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
post #644 of 717 Old 01-22-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
I'm thinking about one of these for my media room instead of upgrading to an 82" Samsung QLED. I'm coming from a 1st Gen 4K Vizio P70 70" with no HDR.

What are people using for screens? I'm thinking either the 100" Screen Innovations Zero Edge Pro with the short throw material, or the 100" Elite Screens AEON CLR with the StarBright CLR material.

I'm pretty sure the SI screen is better, but how much of a difference will I notice between the two screens? The Elite screen is quite a bit more affordable.
I'm using the Elite Screens AEON Edge Free UST CLR 120" and I'm very pleased with it. Zero hot spotting, completely uniform image brightness edge-to-edge to the naked eye and extremely wide viewing angle(better than anything I've owned with maybe the exception of my OLED). And there is no way on God's Green Earth that the SI screen can perform 'better enough' to justify being over 4.5x more expensive(over 5x more expensive than the 100" versions). The SI 120" screen alone cost almost as much as the HU85 and ES screen together cost me. So, "Quite a bit more affordable" is probably the understatement of the year.
Micke S and Nick V like this.
post #645 of 717 Old 01-22-2020, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Zero hot spotting
How do they do it!
post #646 of 717 Old 01-23-2020, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
I'm using the Elite Screens AEON Edge Free UST CLR 120" and I'm very pleased with it. Zero hot spotting, completely uniform image brightness edge-to-edge to the naked eye and extremely wide viewing angle(better than anything I've owned with maybe the exception of my OLED). And there is no way on God's Green Earth that the SI screen can perform 'better enough' to justify being over 4.5x more expensive(over 5x more expensive than the 100" versions). The SI 120" screen alone cost almost as much as the HU85 and ES screen together cost me. So, "Quite a bit more affordable" is probably the understatement of the year.
Good to know you're happy with the Elite! It definitely seems to make more sense based on cost. I might sell my BDI rack and pick up a Salamander specific UST console, so any cost savings on the screen will help.

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
post #647 of 717 Old 01-23-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
How do they do it!
Magic! Lol. I guess it's just the way the material is designed plus being low gain(.6) and the way the projector lens spreads the image. I know brightness isn't 100% uniform across the entire screen, because I've seen reviews where measurements were taken. It's why I say "to the naked eye". But still no hotspot. To the naked eye.

I'm sure there are others on here that can explain the science better and why it all works out to such a good viewing experience.
post #648 of 717 Old 01-23-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
Good to know you're happy with the Elite! It definitely seems to make more sense based on cost. I might sell my BDI rack and pick up a Salamander specific UST console, so any cost savings on the screen will help.
Yeah, I think you can buy one of the Salamander UST cabinets and ES screen for what the SI screen would be, or less.

The UST cabinets are a nice idea and if I had one, I would be able to get my screen down closer to the ideal height(I wish it was 6"-8" lower. It's ~1" from my ceiling, now. The UST cabinet would net me about 5", because it's actually taller than my current one). But then my center channel would essentially be on the floor. They need to design a deeper(front to back) cabinet so that you could have enough room for a center channel to still sit on top and not cover the projector lens. It's kind of funny, the Salamander cabinet is actually slightly deeper than mine, but because my projector and CC are on top, I have the projector pushed all the way to the back with the back feet almost to the edge and the CC actually hangs off the front by almost 3", but the UST cabinet only gives you about 3"-4" in front of the projector opening. I have about 7.5" of shelf depth left over with mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3828.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	797.6 KB
ID:	2674808  

Last edited by Run&Gun; 01-23-2020 at 12:47 PM.
post #649 of 717 Old 01-24-2020, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I hear you on this point, I think we can agree this is extremely situational/subjective.

For instance, this is my UST setup. I would LOVE to replace that Xiaomi with an LG for a few reasons, but a white box on this setup would stick out so much:

I think the white option is also nice, but the problem is that it's not really an "option," it's just the only thing available. For all of the options and versatility UST projectors open up it'd be great to have the option to be a bit more versatile when it comes to aesthetics too.
post #650 of 717 Old 01-24-2020, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knolly View Post
I hear you on this point, I think we can agree this is extremely situational/subjective.

For instance, this is my UST setup. I would LOVE to replace that Xiaomi with an LG for a few reasons, but a white box on this setup would stick out so much:

I think the white option is also nice, but the problem is that it's not really an "option," it's just the only thing available. For all of the options and versatility UST projectors open up it'd be great to have the option to be a bit more versatile when it comes to aesthetics too.
Clean setup, a couple of suggestions: you would get much better sound quality for audio if you put your speakers on stands to elevate the sound closer to your ear. Most stands allow you to fill them with a weighted substance like gravel or sand to give you the most stable platform for the best sound. Also, the majority of audio manufacturers and THX, Dolby and DTS recommend "toeing-in" your speakers to more direct the sound to the primary listening position. I have 8" stands in my bedroom setup and they made a world of difference in sound quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stands.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	747.4 KB
ID:	2675296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speakers on stands.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	2675298  

Theater: Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12, Optoma HD80 on 100" Elite Aeon screen
Bedroom: Yamaha WXA50, Samsung Q6FN (2018), Martin Logan Motion LX16, Pro SW100P 10" sub
Gaming: Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
post #651 of 717 Old 01-24-2020, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knolly View Post

Probably in your case black is fine, but when you have white screen, white tv shelf, white wall then anything black will stand out too much.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #652 of 717 Old 01-24-2020, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Probably in your case black is fine, but when you have white screen, white tv shelf, white wall then anything black will stand out too much.

For everyone worried about white projectors... it’s a box.
Go to a local sign shop and get a small roll of black vinyl.
Wrap the white, hide it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #653 of 717 Old 01-24-2020, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennutt View Post
For everyone worried about white projectors... it’s a box.
Go to a local sign shop and get a small roll of black vinyl.
Wrap the white, hide it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cutting out the lens and vent holes with precision would be a massive pain in the taint, but that is an option.

Is it so wrong that for some people it's an issue? The fact that LG announced they'd make a black one before the white one was even out made it clear that they recognized it.
post #654 of 717 Old 01-27-2020, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Finally pulled the trigger and ordered the projector today with the Elunevision aurora UST screen (https://elunevision.com/screens/auro...ection-screen/)

Will let you know what it looks like after setup and testing!
chhanthony and Jordanbrown83 like this.

My HT Build:The Cool HT Build
post #655 of 717 Old 01-28-2020, 11:41 AM

Liked: 0
I've had my eye on the LG HU85LA for a year and saw recently the price dropped $400. While I feel it's still a bit much for this projector (I think $4k is a better price), I really can't wait to get one....

I've been tempted by the Optoma P1 and I hear Epson is releasing a new 4k UST laser projector around Spring of 2020 but I can't get over it's looks.
post #656 of 717 Old 01-29-2020, 06:44 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Big Or GoHome View Post
Finally pulled the trigger and ordered the projector today with the Elunevision aurora UST screen (https://elunevision.com/screens/auro...ection-screen/)

Awesome look forward to hearing your thoughts. I'm considering this projector myself still
post #657 of 717 Old 01-31-2020, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Big Or GoHome View Post

What size screen did you order? I just ordered the HU85LA also and I am getting quotes from XY Screens and Elunevision for a 120”.
post #658 of 717 Old 02-01-2020, 09:52 PM

Liked: 2
I am currently projecting my HU85LA onto a white wall. Will a screen make that big of a difference in a dark room?
post #659 of 717 Old 02-01-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pring789 View Post
I am currently projecting my HU85LA onto a white wall. Will a screen make that big of a difference in a dark room?
Using a UST screen will improve everything about the image, especially contrast and black level. UST screens are not cheap, but neither was the projector. If you're gonna spend over $5K one of these projectors, you should get the best image possible out of it.
post #660 of 717 Old 02-02-2020, 07:38 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb675 View Post
What size screen did you order? I just ordered the HU85LA also and I am getting quotes from XY Screens and Elunevision for a 120”.

I ordered the 100" screen. My setup will be in my living room and is limited by the size of the wall.

I tried asking about the 110" but they don't make the Aurora in that size (only 100 or 120)

Will hopefully receive it this week and have it setup in 2-3 weeks, very excited
Nick V likes this.

My HT Build:The Cool HT Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page