LG HU85L 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector Announced. - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 172Likes

post #631 of 635 Old 01-07-2020, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Too me it would ruin my movie experience if the noise of the fan or coil whine could be heard on low volume scenes. Another problem i have with it is gaming input lag which is at around 55ms on game mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 635 Old 01-07-2020, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
Don't get what's with black color fascination. Just like with cars black color shows scratches and dirt/dust/fingerprints easily unlike white.
Kind of a strange reply on a home theater forum. Why would you want a large white object in your field of view between you and the projection screen, literally only inches away from it? Personally, I like black. I hated it when TV manufacturers made everything grey or silver in the early days of HDTV. I had to live for about three years with a giant silver/grey eyesore that was my first 60" HD Sony rear projection set. If it had been black or another dark color, it wouldn't have been nearly as bad. Finally they came to their senses and started making things in black/dark grey again.

I guess LG was marketing this to a different demo... The "hip, cool, sophisticated" people who have huge open floor plans and want to sit it on a $10,000 credenza and it "not look like a projector" and shoot the image on a wall.
post #633 of 635 Old 01-09-2020, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Yeah I agree the 'white before black' was a weird choice. I get the lifestyle push, but, come on. That said, if I got one it'd go in something like the Salamander where it'd be (mostly) out of site. I'd still worry somewhat about the bounce light reflection off the top of the cabinet.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 635 Old 01-09-2020, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have had this projector for 5 months. It has been great. The white color is a total non-issue. It is a very quiet projector. The hdd noise from my directv dvr is way louder than this projector. It is barely audible. I have not seen any rainbow artefact but in all honesty I'm not sure if I would recognize it.

4k streaming from Amazon ie the Expanse and from Disney (think Mandelorian despite hdr Disney issues) is phenomenal.

I don't think you need the salamander designs credenza unless you want to blow another 3000.00

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #635 of 635 Old 01-09-2020, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Yeah I agree the 'white before black' was a weird choice. I get the lifestyle push, but, come on. That said, if I got one it'd go in something like the Salamander where it'd be (mostly) out of site. I'd still worry somewhat about the bounce light reflection off the top of the cabinet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbever View Post
I have had this projector for 5 months. It has been great. The white color is a total non-issue. It is a very quiet projector. The hdd noise from my directv dvr is way louder than this projector. It is barely audible. I have not seen any rainbow artefact but in all honesty I'm not sure if I would recognize it.

4k streaming from Amazon ie the Expanse and from Disney (think Mandelorian despite hdr Disney issues) is phenomenal.

I don't think you need the salamander designs credenza unless you want to blow another 3000.00

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I'm kind lucky in my set-up. It fits almost completely behind my center channel on top of my component cabinet, but I can still see some of it from my seating position(all of the right side exhaust vents and a tiny bit of the top). Last night I did notice a little light bounce back onto the screen in the letterbox bar on the bottom directly above/in-front of the projector. All lights in the room were out. I'm contemplating making a cover for the top out of maybe flat poster board or similar or even black velvet. Side Note: I just added an IR repeater so that I could get the center channel completely centered in front of the projector. It only sticks out about 1/4-1/2 inch on each side, now.

I saw the recessed Salamander cabinets, and while it's a decent idea, they are ridiculously expensive(about half as much as I have in the projector and screen). The only real benefit I think I'd get is that the projector would be lower/closer to the floor, so I could have had the screen mounted lower. I'd like it about a foot lower. Right now it's about an inch from the ceiling. But then the center channel would be almost on the floor...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page