LG HU85L 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector Announced. - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 182Likes

post #661 of 671 Old 02-02-2020, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Big Or GoHome View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb675 View Post
What size screen did you order? I just ordered the HU85LA also and I am getting quotes from XY Screens and Elunevision for a 120”.

I ordered the 100" screen. My setup will be in my living room and is limited by the size of the wall.

I tried asking about the 110" but they don't make the Aurora in that size (only 100 or 120)

Will hopefully receive it this week and have it setup in 2-3 weeks, very excited
Send an update once you do. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on Elunevision quality. Is it worth it over XY Screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 671 Old 02-02-2020, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I ordered the 100" screen. My setup will be in my living room and is limited by the size of the wall.

I tried asking about the 110" but they don't make the Aurora in that size (only 100 or 120)

Will hopefully receive it this week and have it setup in 2-3 weeks, very excited
XY made me a custom 110" screen. Cost as much as the 120", but it was worth it for my setup.
post #663 of 671 Old 02-03-2020, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7134 Post(s)
Liked: 7175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puria Djafari View Post
I've had my eye on the LG HU85LA for a year and saw recently the price dropped $400. While I feel it's still a bit much for this projector (I think $4k is a better price), I really can't wait to get one....

I've been tempted by the Optoma P1 and I hear Epson is releasing a new 4k UST laser projector around Spring of 2020 but I can't get over it's looks.
Have you worked your best deal with your dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pring789 View Post
I am currently projecting my HU85LA onto a white wall. Will a screen make that big of a difference in a dark room?
There are some paints that do a good job, but it does not sound like you are using paints like that, yes you would notice a BIG difference.

Even one of these would do a good job <<< Click Here >>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 671 Old 02-03-2020, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cleveland Plasma,

As i'm a new member here I can't seem to send PMs or quote your post. Haven't worked w/ a dealer but can you provide more info? Specifically, pricing and warranty info to my inbox?
post #665 of 671 Old 02-03-2020, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood96 View Post
XY made me a custom 110" screen. Cost as much as the 120", but it was worth it for my setup.
Nice, the projector came as a package deal with the elunevision and for a good price

The XY screens are great, both are good quality

My HT Build:The Cool HT Build
post #666 of 671 Old 02-05-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Nice, the projector came as a package deal with the elunevision and for a good price

The XY screens are great, both are good quality
I have a 120" Grandview Dynamique UST Screen being delivered tomorrow. I reached out for quotes for Elunevision, XY Screens and a few others and the 120" screens were backordered (maybe due to the coronavirus since those brands source from China). Grandview was the only brand which had stock available to ship immediately from projector screen warehouse (even though they are also sourced from China). I will find out the quality tomorrow once I install.
post #667 of 671 Old 02-05-2020, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb675 View Post
I have a 120" Grandview Dynamique UST Screen being delivered tomorrow. I reached out for quotes for Elunevision, XY Screens and a few others and the 120" screens were backordered (maybe due to the coronavirus since those brands source from China). Grandview was the only brand which had stock available to ship immediately from projector screen warehouse (even though they are also sourced from China). I will find out the quality tomorrow once I install.
I suspect that most of the UST screens are all being made by the same manufacturer(s) in China. Elite Screens UST screens have been out-of-stock since at least early December(got mine just before Thanksgiving) and even then they said they wouldn't have stock here in the US again until at least mid-to-late February.
post #668 of 671 Old 02-09-2020, 02:53 PM

Just received the projector over the weekend. I projected it against a wall to test it out, as the screen hasn't arrived yet. Here are some initial impressions:

-It projects a beautiful, bright picture, even with some ambient light against a regular wall
-The coil whine is present, but definitely not as bad as people have made it out to be. You can only really hear it up close. Otherwise, I completely forgot about it during my viewing and it is definitely not a dealbreaker, it's pretty quiet all things considered. My fridge or water cooler makes more noise than this for sure

I can't imagine how much the picture will improve with an ALR screen. I will let you know when the screen arrives and is mounted

Here are a few photos, sorry I didn't get a chance to calibrate it properly, these are just out of the box photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	777.1 KB
ID:	2682934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	842.0 KB
ID:	2682936  
Nick V, chhanthony and DunMunro like this.

post #669 of 671 Old 02-12-2020, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Just received the projector over the weekend. I projected it against a wall to test it out, as the screen hasn't arrived yet. Here are some initial impressions:

-It projects a beautiful, bright picture, even with some ambient light against a regular wall
-The coil whine is present, but definitely not as bad as people have made it out to be. You can only really hear it up close. Otherwise, I completely forgot about it during my viewing and it is definitely not a dealbreaker, it's pretty quiet all things considered. My fridge or water cooler makes more noise than this for sure

I can't imagine how much the picture will improve with an ALR screen. I will let you know when the screen arrives and is mounted

Here are a few photos, sorry I didn't get a chance to calibrate it properly, these are just out of the box photos
Nice! Looks from the top edge of the image like your wall isn't flat/square however. If so, I'd definitely try to put some shims behind your screen to get it as flat sa possible.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #670 of 671 Old 02-12-2020, 08:12 PM

Received the screen yesterday, thankfully it wasn't delayed, should have it set up late next week sometime

post #671 of 671 Old 02-13-2020, 09:51 AM

I have had my HU85LA and 120” Grandview UST screen for two weeks now. Here are my impressions coming from OLED:

Pros:
-very bright and vivid colors
-Not very loud
-Does not give off a lot of heat
-120” is very immersive compared to my 65” OLED

Cons:
-Ordered first one from amazon new and it had a very loud coil whine. Returned and bought open box from another authorized dealer and this one does not have coil whine. If it does it hardly noticeable compared to the first one. YMMV.
-Placement is almost impossible to perfect. I’ve spent over 12 hours total easily adjusting feet, position and screen where I wanted to pull my hair out and how tedious it is to get picture aligned. See attached setup with less than ideal stand but finally got it 97% fit with NO edge adjustment.
Advice: screen flatness is key. I had to remove tension from mounting bracket to alleviate most of the fit issue. Thinking Tightening the brackets would make the screen more flat but it did the opposite.
-Struggles to output video without static fuzzy and black screen flickering when ATV4K set to Match Frame Rate. Have to restart the projector to fix video output. Hit or miss if a video plays with it turned on.
-No HLG support
-No Apple TV app, HomeKit, Disney+ app etc support for expensive mid-high end USTPJ (but most have streaming device to AVR so not complete deal breaker)

The cons seem big but this is my first projector and media room so it was a big learning experience. I installed myself so growing pains are expected.

I do love the upgrade from OLED to Projector mainly bc I wanted immersive viewing experience and could sacrifice the perfect blacks and dark highlights. In the dark, movies look very good after using calibration settings found online. Shadow detail is definitely lost compared to OLED and more grayish in really dark scenes (watched latest terminator movie).

LG needs to provide a more precise way to adjust the projector on a mount of some kind and or recommendation for ceiling mounting (not sure if that increases alignment difficulty or not).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2856D3C3-6E98-4A13-BA40-0E85F50ECBE3_1581612620462.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	2684444   Click image for larger version

Name:	26F10DA0-94CB-4BE4-A796-8E88B81AA7F3_1581612634503.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	2684446   Click image for larger version

Name:	A0D7B126-437F-4307-A431-92103B62A2E5_1581612646404.jpg
Views:	53