LG HU85L 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector Announced. - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 62Likes

post #61 of 188 Old 01-18-2019, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 333
I’m really hoping this is good. The 0.19:1 throw ratio is really nice. My current projector is 0.23:1 and not an inch of vertical space to spare with my 120” screen. Also I have to have my credenza an entire foot away from my wall. I hope it has 3D but I doubt it will considering the HU80K doesn’t. So strange, it would cost little considering the use of a .47 dmd.
oni222 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 188 Old 01-23-2019, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
I’m really hoping this is good. The 0.19:1 throw ratio is really nice. My current projector is 0.23:1 and not an inch of vertical space to spare with my 120” screen. Also I have to have my credenza an entire foot away from my wall. I hope it has 3D but I doubt it will considering the HU80K doesn’t. So strange, it would cost little considering the use of a .47 dmd.
Is this simply an appotronics projector boxed up by LG?
post #63 of 188 Old 01-24-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbeeaddict View Post
Is this simply an appotronics projector boxed up by LG?
And if it is? That's how a majority of business is done, you go to a company who provides OEM equipment, you tweak it, perfect it and put your own company logo on it. Happens in just about every industry out there from cars, to TVs, projectors, monitors, cell phones, etc.

Not a concern of mine if it can deliver the goods and not that Appotronics has a bad name or anything, tons of front running companies use their tech.

Onkyo TX-NR807
Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12
Optoma HD80 on 106" Elite Aeon Cine grey, Samsung Q6FN (2018)
Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 188 Old 01-24-2019, 05:32 PM

Would like to know if one can buy from appotronics directly, though the way you worded your response it sounds like they don't sell directly to consumers. I'm new to this tech having never owned a projector and want to make an informed decision out of the gate so we have something we can use for awhile. I was ready to purchase jmgo u1 directly from China, though since reading this thread and others it makes sense to wait for this unit or something equal so one has warranty and support etc.
post #65 of 188 Old 01-25-2019, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Would like to know if one can buy from appotronics directly, though the way you worded your response it sounds like they don't sell directly to consumers. I'm new to this tech having never owned a projector and want to make an informed decision out of the gate so we have something we can use for awhile. I was ready to purchase jmgo u1 directly from China, though since reading this thread and others it makes sense to wait for this unit or something equal so one has warranty and support etc.

No they sell only the internal components to manufacturers. The manufacturers make their own housing and user interface.
post #66 of 188 Old 01-25-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Liked: 5751
Kinda like how LGD sells OLED panels to OLED display manufacturers, including LGE.

XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-500SA / FV15HP(2)
post #67 of 188 Old 01-25-2019, 09:10 AM

Understood, thank you for clarification!!

bix26, how do you like the PX800HD thus far? Would you suggest that as a good first purchase UST (to get my wife to buy in) before buying this new HU85L etc?

Thanks again,
post #68 of 188 Old 01-25-2019, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Understood, thank you for clarification!!

bix26, how do you like the PX800HD thus far? Would you suggest that as a good first purchase UST (to get my wife to buy in) before buying this new HU85L etc?

Thanks again,

I really like it. I had the BenQ HT1075 prior. The contrast is slightly better than the HT1075. Everything else seems nearly identical (which is a good thing). I have a 120” Silver Ticket screen in my living room. It does really well in moderate ambient light. The screeen isn’t perfectly flat so there are some distortions. These distortions are a lot less bothersome than the wires I used to have hanging from the ceiling. Considering how soon Optoma, LG, ViewSonic, Xiaomi, Vava and possibly others will have 4k UST projectors available I would wait. I got mine refurbished and wouldn’t have paid msrp. At the time the Xiaomi 1080p was much more expensive, now the price is much closer to my PX800HD and is sold through WallMart. If you need a projector now that would be my suggestion.
post #69 of 188 Old 01-25-2019, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The screeen isn’t perfectly flat so there are some distortions.
Is it a DIY painted screen or regular screen material? I've never heard anyone have that issue before...it would probably drive me crazy! LOL

Onkyo TX-NR807
post #70 of 188 Old 01-26-2019, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post
Is it a DIY painted screen or regular screen material? I've never heard anyone have that issue before...it would probably drive me crazy! LOL

It’s a Silver Ticket screen with a large velvet border. It’s tensioning system leaves the corners a bit recessed. Also the top portion of the frame bows out in the middle by about an 1/8th of an inch. It’s a great screen and these issues weren’t noticeable when I used it with a standard throw projector. It’s really not that bad unless your looking at a test pattern. I’m pretty sure their thin bezel screen is probably much flatter.
post #71 of 188 Old 01-26-2019, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It’s a Silver Ticket screen with a large velvet border. It’s tensioning system leaves the corners a bit recessed. Also the top portion of the frame bows out in the middle by about an 1/8th of an inch. It’s a great screen and these issues weren’t noticeable when I used it with a standard throw projector. It’s really not that bad unless your looking at a test pattern. I’m pretty sure their thin bezel screen is probably much flatter.
Sounds painful! LOL But I'm sure whichever UST PJ you opt for a new screen is a part of the budget as well?
oni222 likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR807
post #72 of 188 Old 01-27-2019, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sounds painful! LOL But I'm sure whichever UST PJ you opt for a new screen is a part of the budget as well?

Yeah, that’s my dilemma. I really like the aesthetic and convenience of having a UST setup. But if the BenQ HT3550 ends up being better than all these 4k UST’s then it will be really hard to justify the extra cost of a new projector and screen. If I’m going to spend 3 or 4 times the price the picture needs to be at least as good if not better.
post #73 of 188 Old 02-04-2019, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
larger 120?

I know it's all speculation since no one has placed hands on this new projector, but any opinions on getting it above 120 inches? The last gen marketed up to 150 yet this one doesn't seem to take a similar campaign. I would speculate that it may be able to go bigger at the cost of some lumens thus the marketing department prioritized the lumen # game over size.

Anyone have another perspective? I'm looking to go 135 which is approx 10ish % over the advertised thus okay with 10ish % less lumen if that's the cost. Thoughts?
oni222 likes this.
post #74 of 188 Old 02-05-2019, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

LG HU85L 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector Announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niveknow View Post
I know it's all speculation since no one has placed hands on this new projector, but any opinions on getting it above 120 inches? The last gen marketed up to 150 yet this one doesn't seem to take a similar campaign. I would speculate that it may be able to go bigger at the cost of some lumens thus the marketing department prioritized the lumen # game over size.

Anyone have another perspective? I'm looking to go 135 which is approx 10ish % over the advertised thus okay with 10ish % less lumen if that's the cost. Thoughts?

The focus range is probably pretty conservative, I still wouldn’t risk it unless your willing to go with a smaller screen. I’m pretty sure a reviewer will test this once it comes out. With a shorter .19:1 ratio you should be able to keep it pretty close to the wall for a 135” screen. That’s a good thing, because the larger the screen the lower and further you have to place the projector. My current projector is a .23:1 ratio and needs to be about 2’ plus from the wall with my 120” screen right at the top of my ceiling.
post #75 of 188 Old 02-08-2019, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoGuy View Post
What is worse is that after all that engineering that goes into creating this projector, some brilliant mind decided to paint the projector in WHITE color so that you can be distracted by the whiteness while watching a movie in a darken room.
If you have a blacked out dedicated theater, this isn't for you. It's clearly meant for a living room, and many (especially with modern style homes) have white TV stands. One of mine is white, the other is a dark smoke glass. Set a black PJ on a white TV stand... distracting?

JVC DLA-NX9 / 156" 2.4:1 CIH Seymour AT screen / Marantz AV7704 11.2 / Yamaha MX-A5000 11-ch amp
HTPC MadVR RTX 2080 / 24TB PMS Server (direct UHD rips)
Adam A8X monitor LCR / RBH A-610 x 8 / Kef Ci160ER x 4 / HSU ULS-15
Secondary: Samsung UN82MU8000 / Marantz NR1607 AVR / Kef Q150 + Minx Min 10 / SVS SB-2000
post #76 of 188 Old 02-08-2019, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

I think USTs are marketed at the casual living room viewer who wants a theater experience from time to time, probably people in condos/apts. If so, they want a compromise between size and brightness. You can get a much bigger screen with a dark room, but would look terrible during the daytime.

One solution would be to have a large screen that can be easily masked down to a smaller screen for daytime viewing, you just have to flip the mask in place and scoot the PJ.

JVC DLA-NX9 / 156" 2.4:1 CIH Seymour AT screen / Marantz AV7704 11.2 / Yamaha MX-A5000 11-ch amp
HTPC MadVR RTX 2080 / 24TB PMS Server (direct UHD rips)
Adam A8X monitor LCR / RBH A-610 x 8 / Kef Ci160ER x 4 / HSU ULS-15
Secondary: Samsung UN82MU8000 / Marantz NR1607 AVR / Kef Q150 + Minx Min 10 / SVS SB-2000
post #77 of 188 Old 02-08-2019, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
If you have a blacked out dedicated theater, this isn't for you. It's clearly meant for a living room, and many (especially with modern style homes) have white TV stands. One of mine is white, the other is a dark smoke glass. Set a black PJ on a white TV stand... distracting?

Exactly, this will look great on my white credenza. . If for some reason someone wanted to put this in a dedicated theater (Don’t know why someone would) they could always hide it in a DIY cabinet.
post #78 of 188 Old 02-09-2019, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Exactly, this will look great on my white credenza. . If for some reason someone wanted to put this in a dedicated theater (Don’t know why someone would) they could always hide it in a DIY cabinet.
Not to mention that you can put it on a ceiling and then it's also perfect it's white.
post #79 of 188 Old 02-09-2019, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull81 View Post
Not to mention that you can put it on a ceiling and then it's also perfect it's white.
That's what I was thinking. My jvc is a big black sofa cushion pushing against my rear window hanging from the ceiling. This would mount right in front of the screen and I could run the wires in the wa behind the screen.

I know people talk about this on their stand, but then where are people putting their center channel? My Monitor Audio Gold is pretty big. Not fitting it on a shelf lower. It'd also need an extreme angle and would possibly be blocked by the coffee table.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #80 of 188 Old 02-11-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Anyone know the size of the projector? Curious whether I could place it on top of my center channel speaker?

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #81 of 188 Old 02-11-2019, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Anyone know the size of the projector? Curious whether I could place it on top of my center channel speaker?
Detailed specs haven't been released yet, but it's definitely got some size to it on the width. Take a look at the videos, you get a good idea from some everyday items in the scene. You could possibly put it on top of a center channel but I probably wouldn't attempt it if it were me. You could actually put the center channel in front of the projector since it'll be close to the wall (7.1" for maximum 120" image size).
mbroadus likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR807
post #82 of 188 Old 02-12-2019, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I had the LG PF100U. It was rated at 100" and I was able to get it up to about 147" without any distortion or loss of PQ. I'm sure it would have gone bigger but I ran out of room on my wall.

Quote:

oni222 likes this.
post #83 of 188 Old 02-13-2019, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Detailed specs haven't been released yet, but it's definitely got some size to it on the width. Take a look at the videos, you get a good idea from some everyday items in the scene. You could possibly put it on top of a center channel but I probably wouldn't attempt it if it were me. You could actually put the center channel in front of the projector since it'll be close to the wall (7.1" for maximum 120" image size).
I looked everywhere for physical measurements myself. Already thinking about the console cabinet design and also can't decide on where this would go relative to the center speaker. On top of speaker, speaker in front of project, ... I was even thinking about putting it inside a sliding drawer to keep it out of site when not in use. No many unknowns. =)

(but still waiting to see the comparison with the P1) ..even more unknowns. Grrrrr.
post #84 of 188 Old 02-14-2019, 02:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Could always ceiling mount it. Would be easy to drop power and hdmi behind the wall behind the screen for a clean install. Uncomplicates center channel placement.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #85 of 188 Old 02-14-2019, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 397
LG HU85L 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector Announced.

Quote:

Yea, I was thinking I could put the center channel in front of the projector which means that the projector would have to be 10 inches or less when you figure in that my cabinet is 22 inches long. The projector needs at least 2 inches for cables/throw and center channel is 10 inches long. Would probably build some kind of simple stand that would go over the center for projector to sit on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #86 of 188 Old 02-21-2019, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I noticed an LG retailer has leaked the spec sheet with all the details:

If you google HU85LA its posted by Value Electronics.. someone with more posts than me could post the link, I can't yet

So it should be coming out for real any time now.
post #87 of 188 Old 02-21-2019, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Like this.... https://www.*********************/up...Spec_Sheet.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #88 of 188 Old 02-21-2019, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure why it didn't work but it should be https://www.*********************/up...Spec_Sheet.pdf
post #89 of 188 Old 02-21-2019, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Ok so AVSF doesn't like the link. Try https://www.value electronics.com/ uploads/HU85LA_Spec_Sheet.pdf but with no spaces...
post #90 of 188 Old 02-21-2019, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avianz View Post
I noticed an LG retailer has leaked the spec sheet with all the details:

If you google HU85LA its posted by Value Electronics.. someone with more posts than me could post the link, I can't yet

So it should be coming out for real any time now.

I couldn’t figure out how to upload the pdf as it can’t be saved in my camera roll. So I took a screen shot. Thanks for sharing, I agree it’s a good sign we’ll see it for sale soon. Sadly no mention of 3D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page