LG HU85L 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector Announced. - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 165Likes

post #121 of 556 Old 03-23-2019, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by juic-E-juice View Post
Slowest roll out ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 556 Old 03-23-2019, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by juic-E-juice View Post
Slowest roll out ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This projector isn't even due to hit the market until possibly June at the earliest, you have to read the press release. Happens all the time with consumer tech especially after CES. As an example, Asus has a monitor they announced at CES 2018 that's just now coming to market, it happens.

Theater: Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12, Optoma HD80 on 100" Elite Aeon screen
Bedroom: Yamaha WXA50, Samsung Q6FN (2018), Martin Logan Motion LX16, Pro SW100P 10" sub
Gaming: Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
post #123 of 556 Old 03-26-2019, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post
This projector isn't even due to hit the market until possibly June at the earliest, you have to read the press release. Happens all the time with consumer tech especially after CES. As an example, Asus has a monitor they announced at CES 2018 that's just now coming to market, it happens.
Still waiting to upgrade my Xiaomi white 150.

I did build a custom cabinet for the Xiaomi that I designed with a little future-proofing for as soon as this one comes out. The screen size is determined by the projector drawer pull out distance, but nothing tells me the height of the top of the projector to the bottom of the image until the dang thing is released and turned on.

Hurry up LG!
oni222 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 556 Old 03-28-2019, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by niveknow View Post
Still waiting to upgrade my Xiaomi white 150.

I did build a custom cabinet for the Xiaomi that I designed with a little future-proofing for as soon as this one comes out. The screen size is determined by the projector drawer pull out distance, but nothing tells me the height of the top of the projector to the bottom of the image until the dang thing is released and turned on.

Hurry up LG!
Any chance you can show us some pics of the cabinet? I am trying to build one for myself soon but all solutions look "janky".
With the new LG UST projector coming out I want to make sure whatever solution I use fits with new hardware.

Reciever: DENON AVR-X7200WA using 7.2.4 with two center speakers (one behind the screen and one below it).
Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 Gen1
Projector: Xiaomi UST Laser Projector 4k (2019 edition).
My current setup: https://imgur.com/gallery/RnRc98a
post #125 of 556 Old 03-28-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I agree with the point you are trying to make but I wanted to make one addition. Q2 starts on April so I understand why people are anxious for more information considering Q2 starts less than a week.

Reciever: DENON AVR-X7200WA using 7.2.4 with two center speakers (one behind the screen and one below it).
post #126 of 556 Old 03-28-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oni222 View Post
Any chance you can show us some pics of the cabinet? I am trying to build one for myself soon but all solutions look "janky".
With the new LG UST projector coming out I want to make sure whatever solution I use fits with new hardware.
Sure. Attached are some pictures of it while I was building before all the drawers were on. My personal design goals was to make it floating and not make it look like a giant block so I was very aggressive in the measurements. Really tight fits, but worked for me.

I think the key is to make the projector drawer completely independent where you can pull it entirely out to modify and replace without making any changes to the cabinet. Think of it as a carcass within a carcass. I gave myself about 5.25 inches of clearance on top with the Xiaomi currently taking less than 4 inches today. The LG should be 4 inches given the measurements I've seen so it should fit. It's plenty wide for any projector out there. I left extra space to also help with the venting of the projectors. My only constraint personally was that I had to put my center speaker under the drawer.

It's an SVS Ultra so bit on the taller end and I ended up putting something under the speaker to help angle it upwards making up for the speaker that low from the screen. Even with the drawer pulled out to produce 120", the drawer does not block the center speaker.

Yes I know this may not be acoustically ideal, but I needed it to fit for aesthetic reasons. I haven't measured scientifically the impact, but no noticeable difference in the overall sound experience so far. Sound is unobstructed, pointed at listening position. I'm sure there's some good center speaker in cabinet build threads somewhere that may improve on this design.

Also noticed that I made the front of the drawer open which I ended up putting a drawer front covered in speaker cloth which will allow sound if I wanted to run just the Xiaomi audio from the projector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3021.PNG
Views:	414
Size:	994.7 KB
ID:	2545464   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3022.PNG
Views:	371
Size:	995.6 KB
ID:	2545466  
oni222 likes this.
post #127 of 556 Old 03-29-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Nice. What screen do u have?

Quote:
Sure. Attached are some pictures of it while I was building before all the drawers were on. My personal design goals was to make it floating and not make it look like a giant block so I was very aggressive in the measurements. Really tight fits, but worked for me.

I think the key is to make the projector drawer completely independent where you can pull it entirely out to modify and replace without making any changes to the cabinet. Think of it as a carcass within a carcass. I gave myself about 5.25 inches of clearance on top with the Xiaomi currently taking less than 4 inches today. The LG should be 4 inches given the measurements I've seen so it should fit. It's plenty wide for any projector out there. I left extra space to also help with the venting of the projectors. My only constraint personally was that I had to put my center speaker under the drawer.

It's an SVS Ultra so bit on the taller end and I ended up putting something under the speaker to help angle it upwards making up for the speaker that low from the screen. Even with the drawer pulled out to produce 120", the drawer does not block the center speaker.

Yes I know this may not be acoustically ideal, but I needed it to fit for aesthetic reasons. I haven't measured scientifically the impact, but no noticeable difference in the overall sound experience so far. Sound is unobstructed, pointed at listening position. I'm sure there's some good center speaker in cabinet build threads somewhere that may improve on this design.

Also noticed that I made the front of the drawer open which I ended up putting a drawer front covered in speaker cloth which will allow sound if I wanted to run just the Xiaomi audio from the projector.

Benq HT3550/LG OLED65B6P /Panny UB820 4k Bluray/Apple TV 4k
Nvidia Shield/HDFury AVRkey/Samsung HW-K950 Soundbar
post #128 of 556 Old 03-31-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs47 View Post
Nice. What screen do u have?

Elite 120 in gray.
post #129 of 556 Old 04-01-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:

Very nice man. Thanks for sharing.
My center channel is massive so I need to work that in the table.

post #130 of 556 Old 04-02-2019, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 3
So based on value electronics website it seems the MRP of the HU85LA might be in range of $7K. Can anyone tell me what would be the key differences in picture quality (don't care so much about short throw aspect, google assistant, USB C, etc) between the HU80KA (~$2300) vs HU85LA ($7000).Thank in advance.
post #131 of 556 Old 04-02-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesapa View Post
So based on value electronics website it seems the MRP of the HU85LA might be in range of $7K. Can anyone tell me what would be the key differences in picture quality (don't care so much about short throw aspect, google assistant, USB C, etc) between the HU80KA (~$2300) vs HU85LA ($7000).Thank in advance.

Not good on that MSRP for me. I was hoping for something close to 1/2 of that. It is a dual laser setup though.
post #132 of 556 Old 04-02-2019, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan View Post
Not good on that MSRP for me. I was hoping for something close to 1/2 of that. It is a dual laser setup though.

I wouldn’t be concerned. There is a lot of competition coming in this segment for a 1/4 to a 1/3 of that price. LG would be insane to try and charge that much imo.
Troy LaMont likes this.
post #133 of 556 Old 04-02-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Insane to charge that considering that Dell has a cheaper 4k option for a while.
post #134 of 556 Old 04-02-2019, 11:03 PM

guess i'll be looking at the Optoma and maybe the Viewsonic led one , as long as they stay near their announced CES prices. They're sure being quiet about these. You'd think they would be starting some hype by now, with making some review samples available ???
post #135 of 556 Old 04-02-2019, 11:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
guess i'll be looking at the Optoma and maybe the Viewsonic led one , as long as they stay near their announced CES prices. They're sure being quiet about these. You'd think they would be starting some hype by now, with making some review samples available ???
The price isn't confirmed for LG, we just have one number from some unknown source. There are other cheaper 4k Chinese options though which are also pretty good. As a backup plan VAVA should be at 3k.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #136 of 556 Old 04-03-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
The price isn't confirmed for LG, we just have one number from some unknown source. There are other cheaper 4k Chinese options though which are also pretty good. As a backup plan VAVA should be at 3k.

I'm going to stick with manufacturers with long (and good) history's producing projectors.
Customer service is getting worse and worse across the board, in all industries. I just prefer that route. No offense to the new, or up and coming manufacturers.
post #137 of 556 Old 04-03-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm going to stick with manufacturers with long (and good) history's producing projectors.
Customer service is getting worse and worse across the board, in all industries. I just prefer that route. No offense to the new, or up and coming manufacturers.
Sure, personally don't buy electronics for "good customer service" because I never use it and I have much more electronics then an average household which gets replaced every few years. Which reminds me... spring cleaning time!
oni222 likes this.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #138 of 556 Old 04-03-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
Sure, personally don't buy electronics for "good customer service" because I never use it and I have much more electronics then an average household which gets replaced every few years. Which reminds me... spring cleaning time!

Ya, i don't either. i should have been clearer; I'm looking at a good track record for a given product. Reliability with electronic items, is number 1 on my list.
post #139 of 556 Old 04-03-2019, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well, ViewSonic and Optoma are coming out with UST projectors this year and they both have a longer history than LG. In the US anyway.
post #140 of 556 Old 04-04-2019, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
It seems something has moved in this subject. LG Russia has released promotional clip on youtube about this projector, unfortunately I cannot post link.

I am super hyped about this projector, just hope they won't overprice it.
Troy LaMont and Johnny nz like this.
post #141 of 556 Old 04-04-2019, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks for the heads up Adinor!

Here is the Youtube clip:

Troy LaMont likes this.
post #142 of 556 Old 04-04-2019, 07:55 AM

I'm really wanting to upgrade. I don't "love" my current projector, but that's because I've toned down expectations with a Projector. I think the picture is good for what it is and the size/immersion is what makes up for the PQ HDR gaps. Can't realistically expect it to perform as well as a good panel HDR. I really want this new projector to blow me away. =)
post #143 of 556 Old 04-04-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 371
It's really too bad you can't project on to a wall with one of these. Buying a decent screen is so expensive that it really blows the price of entry up.

Jack
post #144 of 556 Old 04-04-2019, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What are some of the shortcomings of this projector? It seems to hit a lot of the boxes for the type of person replacing their television. What is this projector missing other ones have?
post #145 of 556 Old 04-04-2019, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesapa View Post
That price could be just a placeholder until the real MSRP is released. But like @bix26 said, they'd be crazy to price it that high. BUT playing devil's advocate, the dual laser UST Hisense model is in the same ballpark on pricing (sigh 😭) so we'll just have to see.

Theater: Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12, Optoma HD80 on 100" Elite Aeon screen
Bedroom: Yamaha WXA50, Samsung Q6FN (2018), Martin Logan Motion LX16, Pro SW100P 10" sub
post #146 of 556 Old 04-04-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
It's really too bad you can't project on to a wall with one of these. Buying a decent screen is so expensive that it really blows the price of entry up.
Part of the hype is the 'recommendation' of using a ALR/CLR screen, BUT you can easily use just a regular projector screen as well. Would save you thousands! There are some videos on YouTube I believe that show UST laser projectors just with regular projector screens, take a look.

With that said, there are some Chinese manufacturers that offer ALR/CLR screens but at a THIRD of the price of the well known manufacturers.

Last edited by Troy LaMont; 04-04-2019 at 04:11 PM.
post #147 of 556 Old 04-04-2019, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Nelson View Post
What are some of the shortcomings of this projector? It seems to hit a lot of the boxes for the type of person replacing their television. What is this projector missing other ones have?
This is a hard one because the projector isn't out and all of the 'official' specifications haven't been released yet, with that said, just speaking strictly on what we know the drawbacks are as follows:
  1. DLP = RBE if you're prone to seeing them
  2. DLP = lower contrast than the other types of projectors but the lasers could remedy that
  3. price

Other than those, this is only the second dual laser UST projector on the market that I'm aware of, the other from Hisense which has gotten good reviews. As I keep saying, I'm hoping the pricing is closer to $4K, a man can dream.
oni222 likes this.

post #148 of 556 Old 04-04-2019, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
It's no different then a regular front projector. I project on the wall just fine with my UST and it's perfectly watchable. Unless of course you are concerned about daylight image then you do need ALR screen or blinds.

post #149 of 556 Old 04-04-2019, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is a hard one because the projector isn't out and all of the 'official' specifications haven't been released yet, with that said, just speaking strictly on what we know the drawbacks are as follows:

1. DLP = RBE if you're prone to seeing them
  2. DLP = lower contrast than the other types of projectors but the lasers could remedy that
  3. price

Other than those, this is only the second dual laser UST projector on the market that I'm aware of, the other from Hisense which has gotten good reviews. As I keep saying, I'm hoping the pricing is closer to $4K, a man can dream.

Ironically, the cheapest one in the pipeline is the ViewSonic with an RGB LED array and a 124% rec709 or about 95% DCI-P3. Only problem is it only rated at 100” max. I’m hoping it can be pushed to 120” without distortion/focus issues.
post #150 of 556 Old 04-04-2019, 08:30 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkle View Post
Thanks for the heads up Adinor!

Here is the Youtube clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0W7ZnxQeWU
finally something !!!