LG HU85L 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector Announced. - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 165Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 552 Old 04-04-2019, 08:34 PM
Senior Member
 
cubsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: IL.
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
Ironically, the cheapest one in the pipeline is the ViewSonic with an RGB LED array and a 124% rec709 or about 95% DCI-P3. Only problem is it only rated at 100” max. I’m hoping it can be pushed to 120” without distortion/focus issues.
if the Viewsonic can't do up to 120" , they'll be limiting their sales of this dramatically. 100" is fine ; bigger is better
cubsfan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 552 Old 04-05-2019, 10:03 AM
Member
 
niveknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
It's no different then a regular front projector. I project on the wall just fine with my UST and it's perfectly watchable. Unless of course you are concerned about daylight image then you do need ALR screen or blinds.
Projecting an UST on a wall didn't work for me because my wall wasn't perfectly flat. Consider the UST and the extreme projection angle where it is literally inches from the wall projecting a very extreme angle upwards. Any imperfections in the wall will affect the PQ. For me, the wall was uneven and was textured which is amplified and make for very grainy picture. Think casting shadows from each texture bit.

If you have a perfectly flat and smooth wall it may work just fine. For this same logic, and automatic drop down wouldn't work either because of the bowing effect of the screen. I really wanted a motorizied screen that comes down in the living room, but wouldn't work for me after seeing a UST on a mechanical screen. Picture was distorted.

I shelled out about $300 for the elite gray which isn't anywhere near these higher end ALR, but I have better light control in the room.
niveknow is offline  
post #153 of 552 Old 04-12-2019, 11:38 AM
Newbie
 
Tom Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Unhappy No sign of 3d support :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan View Post
finally something !!!
I don't speak/read Russian, but I'm concerned and saddened that it doesn't mention support for 1080p 3d content .

Before y'all jump down my throat saying "3d is dead" I'll remind you that many of us have extensive libraries of 3d bd content that we would like to continue to watch (ideally on a UST projector than can also do 4k HDR content) and that 3d blu rays are still being released (even if they may not be released in America). For example, I literally just received my copy of Aquaman on 3d blu ray (which looks excellent btw) and I have an outstanding pre-order for How to Train Your Dragon 3 on 3d blu ray (having bought the first two on 3d blu ray). Other recent (and excellent) 3d blu rays include Avengers - Infinity War, Black Panther and Ready Player One.

If this doesn't end up having 3d blu ray support I am tempted to write to LG and ask them to test the market via a Kickstarter or IndieGoGo for a 3d version to see if there are enough 3d fans out there to make it commercially viable to release a 3d capable version (or failing that an add on emitter like the Optoma one I use with my GT5000+).
oni222 and Movie78 like this.
Tom Howard is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #154 of 552 Old 04-13-2019, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,258
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 403
LG HU85L 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector Announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Howard View Post
I don't speak/read Russian, but I'm concerned and saddened that it doesn't mention support for 1080p 3d content .



Before y'all jump down my throat saying "3d is dead" I'll remind you that many of us have extensive libraries of 3d bd content that we would like to continue to watch (ideally on a UST projector than can also do 4k HDR content) and that 3d blu rays are still being released (even if they may not be released in America). For example, I literally just received my copy of Aquaman on 3d blu ray (which looks excellent btw) and I have an outstanding pre-order for How to Train Your Dragon 3 on 3d blu ray (having bought the first two on 3d blu ray). Other recent (and excellent) 3d blu rays include Avengers - Infinity War, Black Panther and Ready Player One.



If this doesn't end up having 3d blu ray support I am tempted to write to LG and ask them to test the market via a Kickstarter or IndieGoGo for a 3d version to see if there are enough 3d fans out there to make it commercially viable to release a 3d capable version (or failing that an add on emitter like the Optoma one I use with my GT5000+).


I’m in the same boat. The most frustrating thing is it’s only a matter of software. It would cost almost nothing to have 3D compatibility. Even if only a handful of people buy this projector because of 3D it would be worth the cost. I’m hoping there will be 3D and they are simply not marketing it.
Johnny nz likes this.
bix26 is online now  
post #155 of 552 Old 04-15-2019, 08:52 AM
Senior Member
 
oni222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 419
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Howard View Post
I don't speak/read Russian, but I'm concerned and saddened that it doesn't mention support for 1080p 3d content .

Before y'all jump down my throat saying "3d is dead" I'll remind you that many of us have extensive libraries of 3d bd content that we would like to continue to watch (ideally on a UST projector than can also do 4k HDR content) and that 3d blu rays are still being released (even if they may not be released in America). For example, I literally just received my copy of Aquaman on 3d blu ray (which looks excellent btw) and I have an outstanding pre-order for How to Train Your Dragon 3 on 3d blu ray (having bought the first two on 3d blu ray). Other recent (and excellent) 3d blu rays include Avengers - Infinity War, Black Panther and Ready Player One.

If this doesn't end up having 3d blu ray support I am tempted to write to LG and ask them to test the market via a Kickstarter or IndieGoGo for a 3d version to see if there are enough 3d fans out there to make it commercially viable to release a 3d capable version (or failing that an add on emitter like the Optoma one I use with my GT5000+).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
I’m in the same boat. The most frustrating thing is it’s only a matter of software. It would cost almost nothing to have 3D compatibility. Even if only a handful of people buy this projector because of 3D it would be worth the cost. I’m hoping there will be 3D and they are simply not marketing it.

I agree with both of you. It was bad enough that the last OLED 4k tv I got did not have 3D (previous one did but it is curved).
At the very least they should give it some thought before removing features.

Reciever: DENON AVR-X7200WA using 7.2.4 with two center speakers (one behind the screen and one below it).
Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 Gen1
Projector: Xiaomi UST Laser Projector 4k (2019 edition).
My current setup: https://imgur.com/gallery/RnRc98a
oni222 is offline  
post #156 of 552 Old 04-15-2019, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,258
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 403
LG HU85L 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector Announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oni222 View Post
I agree with both of you. It was bad enough that the last OLED 4k tv I got did not have 3D (previous one did but it is curved).

At the very least they should give it some thought before removing features.


I’ve wondered many times why it seems like the industry is almost putting thought and effort into killing off 3D. The choice to omit 3D from the UHD format, and most consumer displays, as well as not selling UHD/3D combo disks (like the did with standard blu ray) begs the question; Is there financial incentive? My answer is Yes. Given how costly theaters have become, the trend in larger theaters with a lower percentage of seats with good viewing angles, and the affordability of large tv’s and projectors what draw is left for movie goers? First, obviously is early access to the movie, however myself and many others would prefer to wait and own the movie for less than the cost of tickets for a couple or family. This is where 3D comes in. If you like 3D and are like most people who have upgraded to a non 3D 4K TV, then theaters are suddenly the only option for watching a big blockbuster in 3D. I know this sounds like a far fetched conspiracy; but hey, what’s the internet and especially forums meant for right?

I took a look at the MPAA website and found this:


https://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uplo...2016_Final.pdf

Now that’s a very sizable market share, especially in the largest consumer market(Asia).
Theaters, the movie industry, and manufacturers need to offer something that home theaters and televisions can’t in order to stay relevant. They can do this by investing money and time in making the theaters a better experience than home. Or, they can spend no money by limiting the options for home content while at the same time increasing the value of theaters.

Now, I know this would take a lot of coordination by the MPAA, Theaters, and Electronics Manufacturers. However, I’ve seen entire industries break the law put peoples lives at risk to save costs and increase profits many, many, times in my life (Boeing and Perdue Pharma being the most recent to pop in my head). So is it too far fetched to think a few companies might omit features legally to help sales? I don’t think it is.

That’s why I love this forum, it can be helpful when trying to exploring truth in an increasingly opaque consumer market.

Sorry for the rant, I lost my aluminum helmet and am feeling a little strange.
oni222 likes this.

Last edited by bix26; 04-15-2019 at 10:38 AM.
bix26 is online now  
post #157 of 552 Old 04-15-2019, 05:22 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Price and release date

Don't know if anyone has found this out yet but...

My local retailer looked this up in their system today. According to them retail is $5,999 USD and expected in August 2019.
RalphMachio is offline  
post #158 of 552 Old 04-15-2019, 09:13 PM
Member
 
tambur123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Romania
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMachio View Post
Don't know if anyone has found this out yet but...

My local retailer looked this up in their system today. According to them retail is $5,999 USD and expected in August 2019.
The price is a little bit on the high side. I was expecting it to be around 5000usd/euro. If the image quality is half of Sony’s is still a very good deal.
tambur123 is offline  
post #159 of 552 Old 04-17-2019, 12:03 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
The full specs are now up on the LG's website!
Troy LaMont and drdoom2k like this.
mixy92 is offline  
post #160 of 552 Old 04-17-2019, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wesley Hester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Selma, Alabama, USA
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Most of them have been up for awhile now. Better information closer to time though. Releasing late Q2.

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
Wesley Hester is offline  
post #161 of 552 Old 04-17-2019, 03:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post
Most of them have been up for awhile now. Better information closer to time though. Releasing late Q2.
Just curious where did you get the late Q2 release date from ? As LG website says "Look for the HU85LA projector later in 2019."
Deesapa is offline  
post #162 of 552 Old 04-17-2019, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wesley Hester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Selma, Alabama, USA
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Sorry. I tried to find it but couldn't. I believe I grouped it in with the Options P1 I'm also looking at which has a "late Q2" release.

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
Wesley Hester is offline  
post #163 of 552 Old 04-17-2019, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Troy LaMont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,123
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMachio View Post
Don't know if anyone has found this out yet but...

My local retailer looked this up in their system today. According to them retail is $5,999 USD and expected in August 2019.
😭😪

Still less that what was posted previously but still HIGH as hell!

Theater: Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12, Optoma HD80 on 100" Elite Aeon screen
Bedroom: Yamaha WXA50, Samsung Q6FN (2018), Martin Logan Motion LX16, Pro SW100P 10" sub
Gaming: Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
Troy LaMont is offline  
post #164 of 552 Old 04-25-2019, 08:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post
😭😪

Still less that what was posted previously but still HIGH as hell!
Yeaaaaaah. There goes that dream. For now at least. I guess the two/three laser units are a lot more expensive. All the $2000-$3000 units released and expected use one.
JollyGood is offline  
post #165 of 552 Old 04-25-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
klas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,173
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGood View Post
Yeaaaaaah. There goes that dream. For now at least. I guess the two/three laser units are a lot more expensive. All the $2000-$3000 units released and expected use one.
There still hope that it's just rumor, but at the same time what do we expect? LG probably knows that if they price this too close to their expensive OLED panels, it might steal some sales. Some would say it's two different things, but we know that UST is somewhat a hybrid between a TV and Projector. I've considered getting 65" OLED TV until I discovered these ultra short throws for around same price. Not surprisingly most people still don't know about UST projectors. When I would mention word "projector" to some folks they still have this perception that it's a noisy box that you need to mount above your head and do wiring with bleak image like what they would see in the office and not something they would consider for a living room.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
klas is online now  
post #166 of 552 Old 04-25-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wesley Hester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Selma, Alabama, USA
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I'd rather spend the money on an UST projector than a 'might get burn-in; know I personally will' OLED display. That's just me. I love the deep blacks and contrast of OLED for sure though.

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
Wesley Hester is offline  
post #167 of 552 Old 04-25-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
JMCecil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,653
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 355
uggh .. they had to go and slap all that "smart tv" bull**** in the thing. That kills it for me. Although the lumens output was disappointing as well. I just want a projector ... I have all the other smart crap I need (and don't want on most of it).
Wesley Hester likes this.
JMCecil is online now  
post #168 of 552 Old 04-27-2019, 01:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post
I'd rather spend the money on an UST projector than a 'might get burn-in; know I personally will' OLED display. That's just me. I love the deep blacks and contrast of OLED for sure though.
I’ve been strong on the OLED path until I discovered these USTs. I also want to avoid burn in but I also love the fact that I can get a giant picture out of a relatively small and much less delicate form. I live in a 750 sqft apartment so I don’t have much real estate for the constant physical presence of something bigger than a 50” TV nor do I want to mess with the installation, removal or future move of a 55”+ glass panel. (I’ve been awaiting a 50” OLED hence why I do not have one and right after they announce that they are going to start making 50’s - I start wanting a UST). And if you’re on the LCD path, you don’t have to worry about any screen defects, uniformity, flashlighting etc. These are really an awesome technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCecil View Post
uggh .. they had to go and slap all that "smart tv" bull**** in the thing. That kills it for me. Although the lumens output was disappointing as well. I just want a projector ... I have all the other smart crap I need (and don't want on most of it).
I love that they basically made this a smart TV - tons of people are going the route of sound bars, and I, myself, just rid of my receiver and wired speakers a year back replacing them with a Sonos 5.1 system for simplicity and a low profile, clean look. I also use my Sony 900e’s smart interface for Netflix, Amazon and HBO - it works great without needing another device and remote.

Last edited by JollyGood; 04-27-2019 at 01:38 PM.
JollyGood is offline  
post #169 of 552 Old 04-27-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
JMCecil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,653
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGood View Post
I love that they basically made this a smart TV - tons of people are going the route of sound bars, and I, myself, just rid of my receiver and wired speakers a year back replacing them with a Sonos 5.1 system for simplicity and a low profile, clean look. I also use my Sony 900e’s smart interface for Netflix, Amazon and HBO - it works great without needing another device and remote.
Still completely unnecessary. Between Apple TV, XBoxs, PS-4s, Cable/Sat provider boxes, Firesticks etc... etc... etc... Most people have two or more "smart" streaming app devices plugged into their TV, not counting the TV. All of which do a far better streaming job than the built in apps. I just want a display, with 1 full featured HDMI port.
JMCecil is online now  
post #170 of 552 Old 04-27-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeremyhelling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,207
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Then don't use the apps. It's pretty simple if you're not a fan. In 2019 it doesn't make any sense not to include them. For me personally I use Plex at several locations to serve up media on my network. Having a built-in app like Plex for me has been awesome because I don't have to buy stand alone devices plus my interface is streamlined & simple. No more leaving a novel for house guests just so they can figure out how to watch TV. You turn on the smart TV with the Harmony & seconds later you're greeted with options. No waiting for other devices to power up or messing with anything when it doesn't get the input right. It's not like it saves you anything to not have it that just not using it would accomplish. It used to add cost to production but anymore the manufacturers profit from the apps & 3rd party vendors so it actually lowers the cost of the devices now. I can see why people would complain about NOT having a Smart TV in 2019 or that the apps could have more features but I don't think I understand having them versus not being a deal breaker.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
jeremyhelling is offline  
post #171 of 552 Old 04-30-2019, 01:19 PM
Member
 
Promit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I would have been an easy purchase at $3,000. Could've probably been talked into $3,500. But five to six grand is beyond the pale for this and I'm out at that price. I know the Dell is up there and the Hisense even more so, but I thought the point of all this hubbub was the tech coming down into competitive price ranges. I'll do something else instead if the rumors are in the ballpark.
JollyGood likes this.

Last edited by Promit; 04-30-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Promit is offline  
post #172 of 552 Old 04-30-2019, 03:49 PM
Member
 
niveknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promit View Post
I would have been an easy purchase at $3,000. Could've probably been talked into $3,500. But five to six grand is beyond the pale for this and I'm out at that price. I know the Dell is up there and the Hisense even more so, but I thought the point of all this hubbub was the tech coming down into competitive price ranges. I'll do something else instead if the rumors are in the ballpark.
You, me and many many others. I've been watching those thread to see if I get news of the release and pricing. The $3000 while on the higher end compared to the likes of Xiaomi, Mijia, etc would be do-able if this device is clearly superior. $3500+ would take it out of considering for the market at the price point given something like the P1 is also coming out

Wait continues for the release.. as well as any early reviews.

Last edited by niveknow; 04-30-2019 at 03:54 PM.
niveknow is offline  
post #173 of 552 Old 04-30-2019, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,258
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by niveknow View Post
You, me and many many others. I've been watching those thread to see if I get news of the release and pricing. The $3000 while on the higher end compared to the likes of Xiaomi, Mijia, etc would be do-able if this device is clearly superior. $3500+ would take it out of considering for the market at the price point given something like the P1 is also coming out



Wait continues for the release.. as well as any early reviews.


And don’t forget about the ViewSonic x1000. It has an RGB LED light engine with almost full DCI-P3 color. It’s also the lowest priced UST that’s been announced. Only downsides is it’s only been spec’d to 100” (might be able to go bigger but no guarantee) and 3D hasn’t been confirmed.
bix26 is online now  
post #174 of 552 Old 04-30-2019, 07:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Has anyone even seen the new ViewSonic projector? In person or any posted videos or otherwise? It's hard to get excited about a projector based on the look of the system alone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
J Bone is offline  
post #175 of 552 Old 04-30-2019, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,258
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bone View Post
Has anyone even seen the new ViewSonic projector? In person or any posted videos or otherwise? It's hard to get excited about a projector based on the look of the system alone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk


No, the exciting thing is it’s using a new RGB LED light engine. I’m hoping it the Phillips ColorSpark2. Even if it’s not, color saturation, color gamut, and RBE (or lack of) should all be strong suits of this projector.
Wesley Hester likes this.
bix26 is online now  
post #176 of 552 Old 05-01-2019, 08:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
And don’t forget about the ViewSonic x1000. It has an RGB LED light engine with almost full DCI-P3 color. It’s also the lowest priced UST that’s been announced. Only downsides is it’s only been spec’d to 100” (might be able to go bigger but no guarantee) and 3D hasn’t been confirmed.
What's the benefit of a RGB LED vs a laser one?

With $5-6k price for the LG, I am out and my only options standings are the Viewsonic X-10/1000 or Vava

The P1 seems to be priced around $5k as well

G.
Gae80uk is offline  
post #177 of 552 Old 05-01-2019, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,258
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae80uk View Post
What's the benefit of a RGB LED vs a laser one?



With $5-6k price for the LG, I am out and my only options standings are the Viewsonic X-10/1000 or Vava



The P1 seems to be priced around $5k as well



G.


When you have a light engine capable of doing RGB their is no need for a spinning color wheel. This allows the color cycling to be much faster, giving you less rainbow effect. It also makes the colors appear more saturated. Green lasers are expensive and difficult to make bright. So for projectors like the LG that use an RB laser, you need a phosphor color wheel in order to convert the blue light into green light. This is why most laser projectors have more RBE than lamp based projectors with an RGB color wheel. LED does tend to be dimmer than laser or lamp based projectors. However LED looks brighter than its measured lumens but only slightly, so it’s not necessarily better. It just has different advantages and disadvantages. So if brightness and the ability to have a large 100” + screen sizes, and your not RBE sensitive LG might be better for you. If you only want a 100” or less screen and your sensitive to RBE, the ViewSonic might be better.
Wesley Hester, HMK-BX and drdoom2k like this.
bix26 is online now  
post #178 of 552 Old 05-10-2019, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TimHuey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 1,870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCecil View Post
uggh .. they had to go and slap all that "smart tv" bull**** in the thing. That kills it for me. Although the lumens output was disappointing as well. I just want a projector ... I have all the other smart crap I need (and don't want on most of it).
But since it's a short throw projector the Lumens of 2700 would give a much higher fl measurement at the screen than an equal lumens regular throw projector wouldn't it?

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
TimHuey is online now  
post #179 of 552 Old 05-12-2019, 04:21 PM
Member
 
ZAPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Stop learning Russian! LG just released an English version of their spec video:

(I had to remove the link since I've been a lurker so long and only posted twice). Here's the YouTube unique code though "NUgAzLU3AKs"

Here's the text in the video:

Quote:
Place on a table top or mount the HU85LA on the ceiling just 7.1 inches from the wall and immediately jump to a 120-inch screen of brilliant, breathtaking 4K UHD.

Superb Image Quality
• With powerful dual laser technology, 4K UHD resolution and 8.3 million pixels (3840 x 2160).
• Rated at 2700 ANSI lumens with an amazing 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio.
• Compatible with industry-standard HDR10, supporting a wide color gamut and peak brightness.
• TruMotion technology increases the refresh rate to reduce motion blur and judder.

Flexible Installation
• Ultra Short Throw technology delivers beautiful pictures from extremely close distances. It projects a 120" picture @ 7.1", a 100" picture @ 3.9", a 90" picture @ 2.1"
• 12-Point Warping Keystone Correction corrects corner and edge distortions.

Low Maintenance
• The laser technology will provide up to 20,000 hours of reliable, consistent illumination and color accuracy

Latest Technology
• IP Control enables integration and automation of multiple pieces in the setup with wireless control over a network.
• LG’s Smart TV content platform connects to premium movies, TV shows and more.** Browse web and stream video directly from the projector; the included Magic Remote makes navigation easy. LG’s AI ThinQ provides voice recognition; Google Assistant enhances convenience.
• Wireless Screen Share enables casting of premium content and sharing videos, photos and apps.
• Bluetooth® Sound Out streams audio from the projector to Bluetooth compatible speakers, headphones or select sound bars.

Disclaimer: Video depicts simulated images. Final product design subject to change.
I hope we're close to a release date....
drdoom2k likes this.
ZAPH is offline  
post #180 of 552 Old 05-13-2019, 12:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAPH View Post
Stop learning Russian! LG just released an English version of their spec video:

(I had to remove the link since I've been a lurker so long and only posted twice). Here's the YouTube unique code though "NUgAzLU3AKs"

Here's the text in the video:



I hope we're close to a release date....
Looks great but if the price is confirmed around 5-6k, it will be an elite device for few elected ones :I
Gae80uk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off