BenQ LK990 Owners Thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 534Likes

post #661 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Unfortunately, that was coming for a while. Dave is a passionate guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Dave has been permanently banned from AVSForum....
permanently ? and from the whole forum, damn what did i miss , how bad did it get for such a drastic measure...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
permanently ? and from the whole forum, damn what did i miss , how bad did it get for such a drastic measure...
What did you miss?

Go and read his last 200 posts... See if the overall tone of them is positive in any way, or utterly argumentative with almost anybody he interacted with.

I wont comment on it any more than that, other than I agree it was seen a mile away.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #663 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GAGE View Post
I wouldn’t say you are a fan boy at all. It is just an opinion that you have based on your viewing and measurements. I don’t see anything wrong with that. I for one hope that BenQ can take some constructive criticism and improve these units. In my opinion, they have some untapped potential for sure. I do think there is a difference between reviewers, testers and owners however. 50 hours on a unit is definitely enough to form a solid opinion on how it performs for you. I have over 500 hrs on my unit and nothing posted by yourself, Kris Deering or Mike changes my viewing content or enjoyment of the unit. You guys are all entitled to your opinions and preferences. Really it makes for interesting discussions when people can be civil.
I agree!

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
I love how you left me out..

I spent about 50 hours with the LK990 stacked against my JVC X9500... I submitted a metric ton of data backed with measurements, subjective and objective opinions, I put that thing through every possible combination of settings and I formed a solid opinion based on all that and it gets no mention here, I love that I am consistently reduced to JVC fanboy in light of all that.
I don't think anybody accused you of being a mere JVC fanboy. You were one of the few folks who at least offered an informed view about the LK990, albeit a largely negative one. Even though I disagree with some of your opinions I certainly appreciated your effort, and said so. So did others. Now, I will say that the tone--you call them "figures of speech"--with which you sometimes express your own disagreement with folks who like the LK990 (e.g. "you guys are smoking crack" or we are on a "honeymoon phase loving everything automatically") comes across as unnecessarily partisan -- not to mention rude.

It's a damn shame Dave Harper was chased off the forum. I appreciated his work too.

Last edited by SaulP; 06-12-2019 at 04:15 PM.
post #665 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulP View Post
I don't think anybody accused you of being a mere JVC fanboy. You were one of the few folks who at least offered an informed view about the LK990, albeit a largely negative one. Even though I disagree with some of your opinions I certainly appreciated your effort, and said so. So did others. Now, I will say that the tone--you call them "figures of speech"--with which you sometimes express your own disagreement with folks who like the LK990 (e.g. "you guys are smoking crack" or we are on a "honeymoon phase loving everything automatically") comes across as unnecessarily partisan -- not to mention rude.
I actually spent quite a bit of time apologising and clarifying for offending anybody when I made those remarks unlike some people, please go back and read them.

Quote:
It's a damn shame Dave Harper was chased off the forum. I appreciated his work too.
Yes, its a shame he could not remain civil...

-
post #666 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Things I would like to see

1. More easily updatable firmware. BenQ system is challenging to say the least. Also some actual updates would be nice without releasing a new model.

2. Real focus on fine tuning the dynamic dimming system. It can be a lot more aggressive and if they can increase the granularity maybe owners could get to a useable 15k on/off contrast.

*In my opinion a poorly done system is actually worse than no system at all. Since the TI chips are so low native it is going to take some work so that the dimming doesn’t hit so harshly.

3. Taming BrilliantColor. This is a personal thing for me as I have never seen a good implementation of the technology.
Steve Siener and SaulP like this.

Last edited by 12GAGE; 06-12-2019 at 04:31 PM.
post #667 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
I actually spent quite a bit of time apologising and clarifying for offending anybody when I made those remarks unlike some people, please go back and read them.

Yes, its a shame he could not remain civil...
I did read your explanation/apology about the crack-smoking comment. That was welcome. But then a few days later came the "honeymoon" comment. But, it's all good. Really. I deal with much worse on a day to day basis at work. But, I do think, the point of this forum -- information sharing and maybe even a sense of community are best served by a tone of civility if not respect. Sadly, I don't think that will happen. People are too used to the supposed anonymity a forum like this offers to remember the golden rule.
post #668 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did read your explanation/apology about the crack-smoking comment. That was welcome. But then a few days later came the "honeymoon" comment. But, it's all good. Really. I deal with much worse on a day to day basis at work. But, I do think, the point of this forum -- information sharing and maybe even a sense of community are best served by a tone of civility if not respect. Sadly, I don't think that will happen. People are too used to the supposed anonymity a forum like this offers to remember the golden rule.
You also need to look at it in context please, at the time I was the one guy who legitimately had an LK990 on hand and took the time to deep dive the machine (thus could not be pigeon-holed as one who has not seen these machines), and was making statements based on fact about things like calibration and a whole host of issues, which are real and directly observed, and I was being shot down repeatedly either by Dave or others, and the issues made light of, or flatly glossed over, so, at times, I was forced onto my back foot actually.

You and I disagreed on 3D actually was it not you? You were one who glossed over my objective comparison vs a known good 3D performer when you yourself have only seen the LK's 3D in isolation, you invalidated my findings based on what exactly? One is comparing a real, known good working machine in 3D vs the other which is an isolated observation. If we both had viewed it in isolation you could easily say they are both subjective findings and nobody is right, but that's not the case here. Plus I am not the only person to observe and mention it. Please dont confuse such things as another 'stab' at the LK's which is what all my findings ended up getting reduced to in the larger picture of the overall discussion that has been going on. I would like to separate myself from all of that please.

Bottom line for me, this machine has a host of quirks which need to be addressed, when they are, it will be even better. Contrast is actually at the bottom of that list by the way. I never said this machine was bad, but I am of the opinion that its fundamentally broken right now. A sequence of menu settings in tandem with a Pansonic UB820 or above will NOT fix them, which is my point all along if you notice. Its actually foolish to suggest that they will if you know anything at all about gamma and things like that.

I am not sure if the honeymoon comment was me? If it was, perhaps look at its context? (shrugs)

The honeymoon phase is very real by the way... Once you have opened a fair few projector boxes in the space of a couple years you learn to look past it. Unfortunately that's not going to gel well with a lot of people in any forum. I can see how it would hurt having someone come in and take a crap on the machine they love, it happens in literally every thread though, but sometimes its a hard reality check, and guess what, sometimes the vendors listen and fix the issues... Its also one reason why there has been so much discussion of late on subjective and objectivity. If someone says 5:000 contrast is inky black in the very same sentence as saying that the comments suggesting the contrary are madness, I have to very strongly disagree with that because its objectively false.

Anyway, I think there has been enough of that, and its grown tiring for everyone.

-

Last edited by Javs; 06-12-2019 at 05:11 PM.
post #669 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11809 Post(s)
Liked: 9346
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
I wouldn’t say you are a fan boy at all. It is just an opinion that you have based on your viewing and measurements. I don’t see anything wrong with that. I for one hope that BenQ can take some constructive criticism and improve these units. In my opinion, they have some untapped potential for sure. I do think there is a difference between reviewers, testers and owners however. 50 hours on a unit is definitely enough to form a solid opinion on how it performs for you. I have over 500 hrs on my unit and nothing posted by yourself, Kris Deering or Mike changes my viewing content or enjoyment of the unit. You guys are all entitled to your opinions and preferences. Really it makes for interesting discussions when people can be civil.

*Overall, there are a lot of units that I like from JVC,Sony,Barco,Christie,BenQ and others. I try to focus on constructive criticism when issues are warranted.
For your rear projection setup, the LK is a far better choice than a lamp based JVC or Sony. The Sony and JVC lamp based projectors are not capable of the light output you need.
post #670 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11809 Post(s)
Liked: 9346
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

Javs was in an email chain regarding the LK990. Before he received the 990, he was very excited about it. Was already talking about using it for his next projector on the large screen he was planning. Talking about being able to give up contrast, if the projector performed as good as the hype. So Javs went into this, very much wanting the projector to work for him.
post #671 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Javs. I didn’t leave you out. How could I?

Those are all composites, really.

If you find yourself in one or more of those, it might be your conscience talking to you. 😎
post #672 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Javs was in an email chain regarding the LK990. Before he received the 990, he was very excited about it. Was already talking about using it for his next projector on the large screen he was planning. Talking about being able to give up contrast, if the projector performed as good as the hype. So Javs went into this, very much wanting the projector to work for him.
Yes, I legitimately did.

-
post #673 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdaddy67 View Post
Javs. I didn’t leave you out. How could I?

Those are all composites, really.

If you find yourself in one or more of those, it might be your conscience talking to you. 😎
You did leave me out, unless you would like to directly state where you would like to pigeon-hole me in your overall derogatory post?

-
post #674 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

People have unique tastes and reasons for everything they do.

If you add up the number of hours that SteveFred, tnaik, 12gage and I have spent with our JVCs and Sony’s it’s probably a few hundred times that of Javs.

How much of that do you think was critical watching? We all are likely critically reviewing projectors, TVs, movie theater images as we watch them.

Im not saying that Javs is wrong for his opinion but It’s definitely not shared by the majority and while he may find the low APL performance lacking it definitely is NOT for most of us.

The point here really is that people shouldn’t believe what one, or a handful of folks, have to say about it. Listen then judge for yourself.

The fact that tnaik, 12gage, SteveFred and many others have come from JVC and Sony projectors for many years should give someone confidence that there is something there.

It gave me confidence but I decided for myself and I’m very particular about my projector image.
jherring69 and Archibald1 like this.
post #675 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

To be honest Javs, I wasn’t really thinking of you when I posted that this morning.

It wasn’t really derogatory though was it?

When you post do you feel like you might know better than most? I can’t recall you saying something like that but maybe you do. There are people here who have practically said that though. So group yourself there if you think it’s appropriate.

When you post do you think to yourself or out loud on posts, how on earth are you coming up with that? I think if the shoe fits, please wear it.

I forget what the third one was, but again, you know what you say and how you say it.

Really, I was not thinking of you when I posted that. Nor am I angry, or have any negative feelings towards you, or anyone.

I was having a great time writing up that post.

Do you find that maybe it strikes too close to home?
post #676 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Also when trotting out the rainbow effect boogeyman, BenQ has a projector to defeat that as well for those truly sensitive to it - HT9060 - though it's worth mentioning most actually aren't sensitive to rainbow effect.

Personally I trust @Aztar35 opinion more for DLP as Aztar appreciates the whole image quality instead of being fixated primarily on only one aspect of it as Kris seems to be from his own statements.
Hello all! I don't own the LK990 but I'm posting here because my sign-in pulled up a name "mention."

Thank you, Ruined, for the kind words. Your posts of late have sure been keeping us on our toes. So, allow me to say the following, which may amount to being my longest post here.

You know, when I first entered the world of projectors, it was regarding all types of enlarged media and was geared toward work related use. So, I pined for large, sharp images. Perhaps given that history, it should be noted that I too now have a preference, and that is for bright, sharp, colorful images. The HT9060 gives me that and more, so by inference, the LK990 should be similar in those respects.

Yes, I would like to see a comparison between the JVC RS2000 (which I haven't seen in person yet) and the BenQ LK990 (which I also haven't seen yet). I hope all RS2000s are pretty uniform, excellent samples too. All the BenQ's I've seen have been. What am I talking about? Let me give you some context, please:

As you know, I've owned a few different JVCs including the the X750 and X990 (great convergence and lens sample on the X990!!!) and viewed many others including the RS4910, X500, X550, NX5, and NX9. All those were viewed in a light controlled, dark room except the NX5 which was in a light controlled room but with lighter colored walls. Yes, they were all lamp projectors and still all of them looked great, but only two of them absolutely stunned me: the new NX9 and the RS4910. The NX9, of course... I expected it to be great, given its high end optics, native 4K panels, relatively high brightness, and contrast, but the RS4910 was the real shocker! I immediately realized it was probably a "one off" as there was something very special in its beautiful lens/sharpness and calmness for a shifter. Anyway, the point is that in my experience with JVCs in the past, there was at times some unit to unit variation. Hopefully their new series is nothing like that. If it is, I would hope the RS2000 that will compete against the LK or the HT9060 would be an excellent sample, just in case people prefer the HT9060; I don't want an asterisk next to the victory.

On a more serious note, the content chosen will be important too. Now, if we're speaking about movies, those hosting the comparison should select various content. It comes to me that there's certain content that when mastered on disc can have overexposure, leaving most any display to struggle by portraying it with a "milky cast." I can tell you that the HT9060 especially will struggle with that type of content when in the darker scenes. And if the RS2000 is like its NX9 sibling, it will have sufficient contrast to better convey it. I would say that by inferential step, the LK would be like the 9060 in that regard, but given what some of the LK owners have posted about not having any haziness, I hesitate to so say.

On bright scenes, however, I have no doubt the HT9060 will do fantastically with its native wide color, spectacular sharpness, and very quiet 1700 plus lumens.
post #677 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To be honest Javs, I wasn’t really thinking of you when I posted that this morning.

It wasn’t really derogatory though was it?

When you post do you feel like you might know better than most? I can’t recall you saying something like that but maybe you do. There are people here who have practically said that though. So group yourself there if you think it’s appropriate.

When you post do you think to yourself or out loud on posts, how on earth are you coming up with that? I think if the shoe fits, please wear it.

I forget what the third one was, but again, you know what you say and how you say it.

Really, I was not thinking of you when I posted that. Nor am I angry, or have any negative feelings towards you, or anyone.

I was having a great time writing up that post.

Do you find that maybe it strikes too close to home?
No need for the cryptic subtext... if you have a problem with me, come right out and say it, and point to the post which is the issue.

Quote:
When you post do you feel like you might know better than most?
Isn't that a loaded question? What kind of answer are you looking for here? This is entirely dependant on what people say, if they post a bunch of falsehoods about a given subject, and I post about it with correct facts, measurements or whatever, then yes, in that case I would, others can, and have, taught me a hell of a lot on here too, have you seen every one of my posts? How do you know my overall posting history to suggest I have the attitude that I know better than everyone else? They only person I ever saw saying that about themselves is ironically, Dave Harper... Do I ever talk about my 30 years of experience as to why I am right and a person is wrong? If I ever suggest somebody is wrong I will provide proof of why, I am known for it, I've even been mocked for it dozens of times if you have been reading closely over the years.

I tell it like it is, that's about it. People in real life know that about me too, and I embrace it. If I hurt anybodies feelings about the projector they own, I apologise.

If you focus directly on my posts alone, you will find I am very civil, I only call BS when I see it. I dont spread it, ever. Go through my contributions to this forum and show me where I troll people... Ill wait.

What are we even talking about here?

-
post #678 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Then let's talk about just doing a shootout, no money involved just so that people can see the projectors and people can form their own opinions. Kris and Dave both said they were game. Probably need to have it on the west coast, since Dave is in HI and Kris is in WA. Biggest problem I see is in getting Dave there. I am talking about cost to get Dave there.
Hi, Mike. Just getting up to speed here. Yes, if they're on the East Coast, they are welcome to come visit me.

EDIT: I meant, if Dave and Kris do really decide to do the comparison and will come to the East Coast, I would like to see those projectors.

Last edited by Aztar35; 06-12-2019 at 07:11 PM.
post #679 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Javs is at a very short throw, but without stepping on anyone's toes, I'll let him tell us if the non-uniform focus he was experiencing was part of the let-down. Also, before I put my foot in my mouth, take note --again-- that I haven't yet seen either of the LKs (sorry for the double metaphor [toes/foot]) .
post #680 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Javs is at a very short throw, but without stepping on anyone's toes, I'll let him tell us if the non-uniform focus he was experiencing was part of the let-down. Also, before I put my foot in my mouth, take note --again-- that I haven't yet seen either of the LKs (sorry for the double metaphor [toes/foot]) .
No, because every time I mention that, I do say its probably fine in longer throw.

The screen Mike is talking about will be in the house I will be building next year. I wanted a brighter projector because I am going to be putting in the largest screen my room can take. Which is actually not crazy at 165" Diagonal 16:9. However, it would be nice to still be able to get a clean 100 nits in HDR for that sized screen, so the concept of the LK990 at the level of brightness it has was very attractive.

2/3rds of the screen could focus really sharp on the sample I had, so it was easy to middle focus is and ignore the outside.

The things that disappointed me in order:

Rainbows - BAD rainbows in literally the first microsecond after the screen first came up I saw giant rainbows.
Colour Temp difficult to calibrate
Colour Calibration issues
Menu items missing, no Gamma options in HDR, no gamut options in SDR. No dimming in tandem with manual laser.
Brilliant Colour in general, and the fact that you lose nearly 50% brightness by turning it off
Dimming issues - colour temp shifts with dimming and BC on, Dimming does or does not engage in a reliable manner when tested with patterns, I can go into great depth on this.
Contrast - woeful.
Motion in 2D, more judder than JVC while the motion was sharp, this is internal hz related I think.
3D - Blurry as hell compared to JVC, and motion was bad.
Lens - Sample Variance probably.

If they COULD fix all of the above, AND make dimming a LOT more aggressive and clean, I would actually be carefully considering this machine, no joke. but I would need VERY agressive dimming. The Z1 can show how only 10k:1 native can be turned into something that sails well past 150k:1 dynamic... I dont see why this machine cannot do that either. But most of the above are almost all deal breakers in isolation, you add them all up, and its a hard pass from me.
Steve Siener likes this.

-

Last edited by Javs; 06-12-2019 at 07:17 PM.
post #681 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, because every time I mention that, I do say its probably fine in longer throw.

The screen Mike is talking about will be in the house I will be building next year. I wanted a brighter projector because I am going to be putting in the largest screen my room can take. Which is actually not crazy at 165" Diagonal 16:9. However, it would be nice to still be able to get a clean 100 nits in HDR for that sized screen, so the concept of the LK990 at the level of brightness it has was very attractive.

2/3rds of the screen could focus really sharp on the sample I had, so it was easy to middle focus is and ignore the outside.

The things that disappointed me in order:

Rainbows - BAD rainbows in literally the first microsecond after the screen first came up I saw giant rainbows.
Colour Temp difficult to calibrate
Colour Calibration issues
Menu items missing, no Gamma options in HDR, no gamut options in SDR. No dimming in tandem with manual laser.
Brilliant Colour in general, and the fact that you lose nearly 50% brightness by turning it off
Dimming issues - colour temp shifts with dimming and BC on, Dimming does or does not engage in a reliable manner when tested with patterns, I can go into great depth on this.
Contrast - woeful.
Motion in 2D, more judder than JVC while the motion was sharp, this is internal hz related I think.
3D - Blurry as hell compared to JVC, and motion was bad.
Lens - Sample Variance probably.

If they COULD fix all of the above, AND make dimming a LOT more aggressive and clean, I would actually be carefully considering this machine, no joke. but I would need VERY agressive dimming. The Z1 can show how only 10k:1 native can be turned into something that sails well past 150k:1 dynamic... I dont see why this machine cannot do that either. But most of the above are almost all deal breakers in isolation, you add them all up, and its a hard pass from me.
That large screen sounds like it will be awesome!

I'm surprised about the lens. I had seen a few HT9050s before having this HT9060, and all of them, including this HT9060, had excellent lenses.

Lastly, I have personally seen aggressive dimming on a c. 1,100:1 native contrast machine --the Optoma UHZ65 laser, and the black levels themselves looked amazing with the sharpness of its single chip design and 3,000 uncal'd lumens. It doesn't have high end optics like the Z1/HT9060/LKs. But the bigger problem with it was when I used it in dynamic black level two and achieved close to 40,000:1 dynamic contrast, there was at times noticeable brightness compression, mostly noticeable in faces. Perhaps the better lens of the LK would lessen that effect if that were the case with the LK doing 40,000:1 with dimming. I don't know.
jherring69 likes this.
post #682 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
That large screen sounds like it will be awesome!

I'm surprised about the lens. I had seen a few HT9050s before having this HT9060, and all of them, including this HT9060, had excellent lenses.

Lastly, I have personally seen aggressive dimming on a c. 1,100:1 native contrast machine --the Optoma UHZ65 laser, and the black levels themselves looked amazing with the sharpness of its single chip design and 3,000 uncal'd lumens. It doesn't have high end optics like the Z1/HT9060/LKs. But the bigger problem with it was when I used it in dynamic black level two and achieved close to 40,000:1 dynamic contrast, there was at times noticeable brightness compression, mostly noticeable in faces. Perhaps the better lens of the LK would lessen that effect if that were the case with the LK doing 40,000:1 with dimming. I don't know.
Yeah I dont know either really... Anyway, looks like a new DMD is not far off, hopefully it trickles down and has a decent boost in native.

Brightness compression is an interesting thing though, I am sure that can be somewhat solved, it doesn't seem like to dissimilar a concept but on the other end of the brightness scale we have been working on in the MadVR thread in the past year. The bottom line is it would require a lot more time to perfect, which may or may not be the focus for BenQ at the moment.

-
post #683 of 805 Old 06-12-2019, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Javs, you are giving yourself too much credit. I already told you, man

Do you really think every comment here is directed at you?

If you think anything in that post of mine was directed at you, it’s your conscience.

There is good information in your posts. Im sure your numbers are accurate and they are good for relative comparisons, between the Lk990 and LK970 for example.

When I don’t agree with yours, or anyone else’s conclusions, I just disregard them.

I listen to everything but I can see for myself.
SaulP, Lynkage and Archibald1 like this.
post #684 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, that was coming for a while. Dave is a passionate guy.
I think quite a few people here would have been hesitant to even take a chance on the LKs had it not been for Dave's encouragement. And I see that there are happy owners now.

Maybe one of these days I'll finally get to demo one to see what all the rave is about.
Lynkage, Archibald1 and tnaik4 like this.
post #685 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I dont know either really... Anyway, looks like a new DMD is not far off, hopefully it trickles down and has a decent boost in native.

Brightness compression is an interesting thing though, I am sure that can be somewhat solved, it doesn't seem like to dissimilar a concept but on the other end of the brightness scale we have been working on in the MadVR thread in the past year. The bottom line is it would require a lot more time to perfect, which may or may not be the focus for BenQ at the moment.
I'm guessing that BenQ has set parameters, a cut off of sorts, to avoid compression artifacts. So, 5,000:1 might just be the sweet spot. I don't see dimming transitions at all on the 9060. It just looks silky smooth. It would be nice if the dimming could be made to be more aggressive with no artifacts, but I believe the starting point may be the issue. My position was simply that the trade off of having fewer artifacts over deeper black levels is welcome.

Last edited by Aztar35; 06-13-2019 at 05:01 AM.
post #686 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Azatar, I’m with you and tnaik on that one.

Dave is a big asset to this community for many of us, and it appeared that socializing and posting in this forum was very important to him..

While he could have handled it better when others appeared to be challenging him, and his competency, that discussion was always a two way street.

While I’m sure Dave is a big boy and can handle it I feel most sorry for him. He was legitimately helping and guiding several people here and sharing his knowledge/settings for free.

I sent Alan a PM supporting Dave’ s reinstatement and encourage all those who looked forward to Dave’ s posts and guidance to do the same.

I hope this isn’t as impactful for Dave as I fear it might be. He isn’t just an online persona, he is an actual person.
jherring69, Lynkage and tnaik4 like this.
post #687 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4633 Post(s)
Liked: 2940
Quote:
Dave has been permanently banned from AVSForum....
Wow Lol. I wondered where he went off to. I assume he received (and ignored) several warnings.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #688 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1972 Post(s)
Liked: 2151
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Wow Lol. I wondered where he went off to. I assume he received (and ignored) several warnings.
I honestly liked Dave long term..but the last couple of months he kind of went off the deep end on these projector threads. He was taking these discussions WAY TOO SERIOUSLY AND PERSONAL!!!!!
post #689 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Dave is a big asset to this community for many of us, and it appeared that socializing and posting in this forum was very important to him..

While he could have handled it better when others appeared to be challenging him, and his competency, that discussion was always a two way street.

While I’m sure Dave is a big boy and can handle it I feel most sorry for him. He was legitimately helping and guiding several people here and sharing his knowledge/settings for free.

I sent Alan a PM supporting Dave’ s reinstatement and encourage all those who looked forward to Dave’ s posts and guidance to do the same.

I hope this isn’t as impactful for Dave as I fear it might be. He isn’t just an online persona, he is an actual person.
Alan Gouger?

He sold the forum years ago. It will fall on deaf ears.

-
post #690 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hi, Catdaddy. Maybe they will really do a live comparison event.

Did you mean Mike and not Alan?

Last edited by Aztar35; 06-13-2019 at 05:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page