BenQ LK990 Owners Thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 534Likes

post #691 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdaddy67 View Post
Javs. I didn’t leave you out. How could I?

Those are all composites, really.

If you find yourself in one or more of those, it might be your conscience talking to you. 😎
Am I going crazy or you are contradicting yourself here?
You said you didn't leave him out... and yet if Javs finds himself in your post, it's just his conscience talking to him?

Anyway regarding Dave, I had pleasant interactions with him via PM and I'm sure he's a nice guy...
However, for someone with ISF certification proudly displayed as his avatar, I was expecting him to counter these arguments with hard facts and measurements. He's had the LK970/990 for a long period of time now, and how many measurements did we actually get?
There was a long discussion early on about LK970's colour volume, and it could be swiftly concluded by a simple measurement.. and yet we got endless pages of unnecessary arguments.

People then tried to meet in the middle with Dave. OK the LK 970 might not be colour accurate and lacking in black level, but it's bright/very sharp and there's nothing else like it in the price range. But no, Dave just wouldn't have it and branded anyone with any criticisms as someone with an agenda.
This deters people from actually contributing to the discussion and risks this thread of just becoming an echo chamber. I applaud Dylan, Woofer and Javs for bothering to take measurements on this PJ despite knowing fully that they are going to get attacked.

I'm not against lifting the ban on Dave, but he really needs to cool down and stop the personal attacks before he's allowed to come back.
Craig Peer and Javs like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I did not know Alan sold it. I wasn’t really participating for awhile but lurking every now and then when I had some spare time.

I got pulled back in after being attracted by the LK970 discussions that Dave was leading. .
post #693 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Agree 100%. Dave is a good guy and the only reason I took a look an ordered a 970. I saw what he did with the Epson and Optoma laser units and felt his eye for a pleasing image matched my own. I try to make it a point not to go back and forth over the internet. Unfortunately, there has been some trolling on this board lately. I just ignore it and enjoy watching my LK instead of rolling in the mud.I advised Dave to do the same offline.

Quote:
Azatar, I’m with you and tnaik on that one.

Dave is a big asset to this community for many of us, and it appeared that socializing and posting in this forum was very important to him..

While he could have handled it better when others appeared to be challenging him, and his competency, that discussion was always a two way street.

While I’m sure Dave is a big boy and can handle it I feel most sorry for him. He was legitimately helping and guiding several people here and sharing his knowledge/settings for free.

I sent Alan a PM supporting Dave’ s reinstatement and encourage all those who looked forward to Dave’ s posts and guidance to do the same.

I hope this isn’t as impactful for Dave as I fear it might be. He isn’t just an online persona, he is an actual person.
jherring69 and Lynkage like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GAGE View Post
Agree 100%. Dave is a good guy and the only reason I took a look an ordered a 970. I saw what he did with the Epson and Optoma laser units and felt his eye for a pleasing image matched my own. I try to make it a point not to go back and forth over the internet. Unfortunately, there has been some trolling on this board lately. I just ignore it and enjoy watching my LK instead of rolling in the mud.I advised Dave to do the same offline.
I agree as well. I certainly don’t know the particulars, but was following at least some of the threads on which Dave was posting. Honestly, if he was alone in being banned, it strikes me as a little unfair.

Do we know who moderates this particular forum or who made the call to ban Dave? To whom can we write to request that he be reinstated? If nothing else, I’d like to figure out how to reach Dave to share information about the PJs and remind him that his help was appreciated and valued by many.

Back in its early days, AVSForum was a much friendlier and supportive “place”. It’s grown and changed over the years (inevitably), but not always for the best.
post #695 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Dave has been permanently banned from AVSForum....
Well there you go.

He was passionate and sometimes didn't know when to reel his neck in, but a whole forum ban?
Did he threaten to kill anybody?
Overkill maybe?
Dunno, but there were plenty being as 'passionate' in their replies back to him. How come they are still here?

This place never ceases to amaze I will say that!
jherring69 likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #696 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11821 Post(s)
Liked: 9353
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulP View Post
I agree as well. I certainly don’t know the particulars, but was following at least some of the threads on which Dave was posting. Honestly, if he was alone in being banned, it strikes me as a little unfair.

Do we know who moderates this particular forum or who made the call to ban Dave? To whom can we write to request that he be reinstated? If nothing else, I’d like to figure out how to reach Dave to share information about the PJs and remind him that his help was appreciated and valued by many.

Back in its early days, AVSForum was a much friendlier and supportive “place”. It’s grown and changed over the years (inevitably), but not always for the best.
Shoot me an email and I can pass your info to Dave.
post #697 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did read your explanation/apology about the crack-smoking comment. That was welcome. But then a few days later came the "honeymoon" comment. But, it's all good. Really. I deal with much worse on a day to day basis at work. But, I do think, the point of this forum -- information sharing and maybe even a sense of community are best served by a tone of civility if not respect. Sadly, I don't think that will happen. People are too used to the supposed anonymity a forum like this offers to remember the golden rule.
That has my vote and I have been saying the same thing a LOT.
jherring69 and tnaik4 like this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #698 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can see how it would hurt having someone come in and take a crap on the machine they love
Ahhh I can see the problem now. If anyone on here really DOES love an inanimate object that much, then maybe a sex doll would be a better investment.
jherring69 and tnaik4 like this.

Stephen Hawking.
post #699 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Wow Lol. I wondered where he went off to. I assume he received (and ignored) several warnings.
Why the LOL? Too long coming in your opinion?

Still, one more 'grey is black' heathen out of the way eh?
jherring69 likes this.

Stephen Hawking.
post #700 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, unfortunately internet kiddies in their y-fronts and string vests sitting in front of a keyboard, infect everywhere in the end!

P.S. I would maybe include myself in that group...…………….. *but* I 'ain't wearing any y-fronts!!! LOL.

Stephen Hawking.
post #701 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6617 Post(s)
Liked: 7689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikis View Post
Am I going crazy or you are contradicting yourself here?
You said you didn't leave him out... and yet if Javs finds himself in your post, it's just his conscience talking to him?

Anyway regarding Dave, I had pleasant interactions with him via PM and I'm sure he's a nice guy...
However, for someone with ISF certification proudly displayed as his avatar, I was expecting him to counter these arguments with hard facts and measurements. He's had the LK970/990 for a long period of time now, and how many measurements did we actually get?
There was a long discussion early on about LK970's colour volume, and it could be swiftly concluded by a simple measurement.. and yet we got endless pages of unnecessary arguments.

People then tried to meet in the middle with Dave. OK the LK 970 might not be colour accurate and lacking in black level, but it's bright/very sharp and there's nothing else like it in the price range. But no, Dave just wouldn't have it and branded anyone with any criticisms as someone with an agenda.
This deters people from actually contributing to the discussion and risks this thread of just becoming an echo chamber. I applaud Dylan, Woofer and Javs for bothering to take measurements on this PJ despite knowing fully that they are going to get attacked.

I'm not against lifting the ban on Dave, but he really needs to cool down and stop the personal attacks before he's allowed to come back.
That was the problem in a nutshell. Kris Deering asked him for his " secret sauce settings " so he could try them numerous times. He could have easily re-posted them or sent them in an email. He did not do that. He always had an excuse - " too busy, relatives are in town " etc. My Mom would have said he had "more excuses than Doans has pills ". Too bad, but when he wouldn't post the settings, one wonders if they were just smoke and mirrors.

If BenQ is at Cedia, I'll check them out and see what's new this year.
post #702 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Yeah, unfortunately internet kiddies in their y-fronts and string vests sitting in front of a keyboard, infect everywherge in the end!

P.S. I would maybe include myself in that group...…………….. *but* I 'ain't wearing any y-fronts!!! LOL.
OK, now I feel really old. (Asking sheepishly and some trepidation) What’s a “y-front”? Is it like a v-neck?

Got it! I've always called them briefs or Jockey's or maybe Calvin's. I'm a boxer guy myself. Given your answer, I had to look up "string vest" (I thought you were talking about Western-style vests with leather "string" fringe.) But Google set me straight.

Last edited by SaulP; 06-13-2019 at 09:37 AM.
post #703 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, now I feel really old. (Asking sheepishly and some trepidation) What’s a “y-front”? Is it like a v-neck?
Errr, okay. I would have thought the older ones amongst us would be more likely to know what Y-fronts are....

Here you go:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Y fronts.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	2579496  

Stephen Hawking.
post #704 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
That was the problem in a nutshell. Kris Deering asked him for his " secret sauce settings " so he could try them numerous times. He could have easily re-posted them or sent them in an email. He did not do that. He always had an excuse - " too busy, relatives are in town " etc. My Mom would have said he had "more excuses than Doans has pills ". Too bad, but when he wouldn't post the settings, one wonders if they were just smoke and mirrors.

If BenQ is at Cedia, I'll check them out and see what's new this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikis View Post

From over here it looked like he knew his settings would have thrown up hugely errant measurements (in the traditional sense) and would have likely been derided (rightly or wrongly), but to the eye they (apparently) looked more than acceptable.
That is how I read it anyway.

He could have been more willing to give out his settings and provide more data though I think. Demos would have put it to bed, that even though using normal methods the image would be 'way off', to the unaided eye it would have been really good.

I wish I could have seen it first hand.
jherring69 likes this.

Stephen Hawking.
post #705 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Craig, he had shared those settings a few times on the 970 thread.

Several people already on here have attested to how they performed and to be honest he was equally busy and real life kept coming up for him when he finally got us, updated those settings, but he could tell we were genuinely interested and grateful and he was happy to provide them for free and really happy that we were pleased with the results.

I don’t know that I blame him for not wanting to put himself in the intense scrutiny on the thread now - I don’t know that he could win.

We didn’t care if he was winging it or just eyeballing it, it looked good, but some folks on the thread now might look down on that and for whatever reason that seemed to matter to him.

I wish folks didn’t take this stuff so personally.

You didn’t do this, but whatever reason he might have had, it doesn’t call to openly disparage him and challenge his ISF credentials.

This isn’t about the Mueller Report. It’s just about some guys who are amazed at how good a new group of DLP projectors look.
post #706 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
From over here it looked like he knew his settings would have thrown up hugely errant measurements (in the traditional sense) and would have likely been derided (rightly or wrongly), but to the eye they (apparently) looked more than acceptable.
That is how I read it anyway.

He could have been more willing to give out his settings and provide more data though I think. Demos would have put it to bed, that even though using normal methods the image would be 'way off', to the unaided eye it would have been really good.

I wish I could have seen it first hand.

trust your eye more than measurements... because what you 'see' is 'true' to you...

it's sad to see someone so passionate about a projector and worked so hard and benefited so many being banned...

what a loss to the forum..
post #707 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Craig, he had shared those settings a few times on the 970 thread.

Several people already on here have attested to how they performed and to be honest he was equally busy and real life kept coming up for him when he finally got us, updated those settings, but he could tell we were genuinely interested and grateful and he was happy to provide them for free and really happy that we were pleased with the results.

I don’t know that I blame him for not wanting to put himself in the intense scrutiny on the thread now - I don’t know that he could win.

We didn’t care if he was winging it or just eyeballing it, it looked good, but some folks on the thread now might look down on that and for whatever reason that seemed to matter to him.

I wish folks didn’t take this stuff so personally.

You didn’t do this, but whatever reason he might have had, it doesn’t call to openly disparage him and challenge his ISF credentials.

This isn’t about the Mueller Report. It’s just about some guys who are amazed at how good a new group of DLP projectors look.
Added
See Post 2272: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post58094730

Someone posted the link to those settings. I asked Dave if those are the settings Kris should use. Dave said yes. Kris tried them and reported his objective and subjective findings. Dave said he had new settings, but never posted or sent, though asked for them multiple times. I will see if I can find the link where I asked and Dave answered.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 06-13-2019 at 09:44 AM.
post #708 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Added

Someone posted the link to those settings. I asked Dave if those are the settings Kris should use. Dave said yes. Kris tried them and reported his objective and subjective findings. Dave said he had new settings, but never posted or sent, though asked for them multiple times. I will see if I can find the link where I asked and Dave answered.
Can't imagine that failing to meet Kris's expectations in this regard is the real reason he was banned.
post #709 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siener View Post
Can't imagine that failing to meet Kris's expectations in this regard is the real reason he was banned.
I also don't believe that was a part of why he was banned.

You know, Dave brought a lot of attention to these LK threads and I have yet to read here that an LK owner found the decision to purchase one as being a terrible decision. Perhaps Dave, in his passion, had a somewhat eccentric posting style. (I suppose, in some way, even now, he still brings excitement. )

But we all ought to keep in mind that there are different personalities and differing points of view. Sometimes Dave and I would disagree when discussing projector performance, but it was just a discussion on projector performance. So, if I sensed something was a "hot button" for him, I would just make my point in a separate post --no need to keep pushing that button with him.

I'm NOT going to go back and read all those posts where things kinda got heated between Dave and a few others, but I do recall it wasn't just one-sided, insinuations and such and I recall where even one of our friends/fellow members put up a Looney Tunes picture/emoji and then Dave "fired" back, and someone else used an adjective-pronoun that was later edited by one of our moderators. I'm not saying two wrongs make a right. I'm just saying I highly doubt that he was banned in some significant part because he led another to expect some calibration settings.
post #710 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Added

Mike , he also clearly said in that post that those arent measured settings, and if u follow earlier posts in this thread, he said that he input those settings on a new unit at someone's else place without any measurement just by trusting his eyes and they looked good for him but they need further adjusting.

That is why he was saying every time that those arent finals whatsoever.

Now for him being busy and not sending final settings, that is not the first time, the guy is a busy person, i Pm'ed him many times when i first get my LK970 to help me with the settings and i posted in the thread also, he always replied that soon he ll send me updated ones, i waited days and weeks and no settings until i decided to use his initial settings from like 8 months ago and calibrate them myself and really the result was excellent , i dont think any projector tone mapping can come close to it. Now Madvr started the DTM and that is the absolute best solution there is and is the go to tone mapping i use now , but really its not as far way from dave's settings as u might think and that says a lot , the very very low APL actually looks better with dave's settings.

What i m trying to say is him not sending the settings its not running away, he is just busy.

I m one of the people that if it wasnt for dave i wouldve never bought the LK970, i trusted his opinion without even seeing one and i m glad i did.
I do think it is unfair to just ban him permanently, a week or two ban would be enough, he is a great addition to the forum and has helped many guys here. i do agree he takes it personal sometimes, but that is not enough to permanently ban him.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #711 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
The problem with that is, its hypocritical, because its apparantly OK for a whole host of novices to use his settings and love them, but when someone knowledgable uses them and they have critcizms about them, they are suddenly not correct and he is called out for not calibrating them, which is it? You cant have both.

Also, when you 'calibrate' settings, you change every single setting in the CMS, so then you are left with only a couple of menu items which are still 'his' settings? No, I dont think so. Thats like me calling Clear Blck Low and Gamma 2.8, and Colour-65 on a JVC MY settings... no, thats just a couple menu items at that point.

Quote:
I do think it is unfair to just ban him permanently, a week or two ban would be enough, he is a great addition to the forum and has helped many guys here. i do agree he takes it personal sometimes, but that is not enough to permanently ban him.
I tend to agree here, but if he deserves to come back then so does Andreas21 and Seegs108...

Bring them all back if you bring one... Sorry but it is what it is. I would bring the other two back LONG before Dave.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #712 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Why don’t we just start voting in who we want banned?

If you don’t see any benefit from Dave’s posts ignore them/him.

As you can see from these LK threads he was very helpful, respected, and appreciated by many folks.

Who decides on the ban? Mike are you associated, or an administrator, with the website now?
SaulP and Lynkage like this.
post #713 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

As you can see from these LK threads he was very helpful, respected, and appreciated by many folks.

Who decides on the ban? Mike are you associated, or an administrator, with the website now?
This is not a democracy.

The moderators decide, when people break forum rules constantly they get an infraction, when they get enough infractions and warnings you get a temp ban, or if they deem it, a permanent ban. This was clearly not the first instance for Dave, it was the last straw I guess.

Mike is not a moderator, he has nothing to do with this forum its owned by VerticalScope.

At the bottom of every page is a contact us button, you can use that to send them a message if you want, but I am 100% sure they will not discuss it at all with you since its not technically your business.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #714 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:

Yeah. I agree. There is something troubling when an owner of a projector who was happy to help other owners of the projector is banned from the owners’ forum for that projector (while other people who do not own the projector can interject their opinions about the projector on that owners’ forum).

So who are the moderators of this forum? Who decided on the ban?
post #715 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah. I agree. There is something troubling when an owner of a projector who was happy to help other owners of the projector is banned from the owners’ forum for that projector (while other people who do not own the projector can interject their opinions about the projector on that owners’ forum).

So who are the moderators of this forum? Who decided on the ban?
Except he was in about 4 threads concurrently arguing with everybody, not just the LK threads.

VerticalScope are the moderators.

-
post #716 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Except he was in about 4 threads concurrently arguing with everybody, not just the LK threads.

VerticalScope are the moderators.
Thanks, Javs. That is interesting. The “About Us” page of this forum says something different:

“The Editor of AVS Forum is Mark Henninger. Lead administrator Mike Lang has been managing the moderators since the site’s inception in 1999.

AVSForum is owned by VerticalScope Inc., located in Toronto, Canada: 111 Peter St, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V2H1.

As with many hobbies, AV enthusiasts can be pretty passionate about their perspective, and comments can get a bit rambunctious, so we have a large staff of volunteer moderators who make sure things don’t get out of hand with personal attacks, off-topic rants, and unauthorized promotions.”

I was just trying to figure out, based on that statement, who the volunteer moderator(s) was who made the call. But if you say it’s really some corporate dude at vertical scope in Canada I guess I can check with them.
By the way, to be fair, while he was certainly arguing with you and a few others, he wasn’t arguing with everybody. I am a body and he wasn’t arguing with me.

Last edited by SaulP; 06-13-2019 at 05:34 PM.
post #717 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, Javs. That is interesting. The “About Us” page of this forum says something different:

“The Editor of AVS Forum is Mark Henninger. Lead administrator Mike Lang has been managing the moderators since the site’s inception in 1999.

AVSForum is owned by VerticalScope Inc., located in Toronto, Canada: 111 Peter St, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V2H1.

As with many hobbies, AV enthusiasts can be pretty passionate about their perspective, and comments can get a bit rambunctious, so we have a large staff of volunteer moderators who make sure things don’t get out of hand with personal attacks, off-topic rants, and unauthorized promotions.”

I was just trying to figure out, based on that statement, who the volunteer moderator(s) was who made the call. But if you say it’s really some corporate dude at vertical scope in Canada I guess I can check with them.
By the way, to be fair, while he was certainly arguing with you and a few others, he wasn’t arguing with everybody. I am a body and he wasn’t arguing with me.
You could hit up Mike Lang I guess, I was referring to Mike Garrett when I said Mike wasn't a moderator though, since the only Mike in the thread was him at the time and you seemed to be asking him directly.

rboster is another, DrDon is another.

Like I said though, if Dave gets to come back, then why not Seegs108 or Andreas21... I dont see them doing anything at all, as its unfair to reinstate one person and not others. Never hurts to try I suppose.

-
post #718 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siener View Post
I was just replying about the settings and where they came from, not the reason Dave was banned. The mods removed the posts, so I did not see any of that.
post #719 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Mike , he also clearly said in that post that those arent measured settings, and if u follow earlier posts in this thread, he said that he input those settings on a new unit at someone's else place without any measurement just by trusting his eyes and they looked good for him but they need further adjusting.

Now for him being busy and not sending final settings, that is not the first time, the guy is a busy person, i Pm'ed him many times when i first get my LK970 to help me with the settings and i posted in the thread also, he always replied that soon he ll send me updated ones, i waited days and weeks and no settings until i decided to use his initial settings from like 8 months ago and calibrate them myself and really the result was excellent , i dont think any projector tone mapping can come close to it. Now Madvr started the DTM and that is the absolute best solution there is and is the go to tone mapping i use now , but really its not as far way from dave's settings as u might think and that says a lot , the very very low APL actually looks better with dave's settings.

What i m trying to say is him not sending the settings its not running away, he is just busy.

I m one of the people that if it wasnt for dave i wouldve never bought the LK970, i trusted his opinion without even seeing one and i m glad i did.
The part I did not understand. After Kris posted about trying the settings, Dave asked if Kris calibrated after installing the base settings. I understand about calibrating and then making changes, but how do you set up a projector with base settings and then calibrate? Won't the calibration just change the base settings?

As far as the LK970, it is a great option for guys that need a lot of light, that do not have any interest in spending VW5000 money.
post #720 of 805 Old 06-13-2019, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Quote:

The part I did not understand. After Kris posted about trying the settings, Dave asked if Kris calibrated after installing the base settings. I understand about calibrating and then making changes, but how do you set up a projector with base settings and then calibrate? Won't the calibration just change the base settings?

As far as the LK970, it is a great option for guys that need a lot of light, that do not have any interest in spending VW5000 money.
It will change them of course, cms/greyscale etc.. depends on the environement, the base settings are mainly cranking the contrast/color almost to max and use 2.8gamma with brightness at around 43, now not a lot of owners would try those extreem values when u see the native HDR passthrough signal is washed out, since the 970 doesnt have native hdr , those settings act as an HDR mode if u want just to get u started with good image with hdr, of course when u calibrate further it ll change some values but mostly in cms/greyscale, its not really any magic settings, but just a baseline to do the tone mapping in the projector.
jherring69 likes this.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page