BenQ LK990 Owners Thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 535Likes

post #781 of 809 Old 06-16-2019, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post

The biggest upgrade I ever did in my theatre was black it out, even on the Sony 300ES the uptick in contrast was astounding. I went from 69:1 ANSI to about 130:1 in my old apartment, just by adding some panels to the ceiling, for 4ft. Pretty ugly but it worked.
How close do you sit to your screen Javs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 809 Old 06-16-2019, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 476 Post(s)
Quoted: 6819 Post(s)
Liked: 6445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikis View Post
How close do you sit to your screen Javs?
3m

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #783 of 809 Old 06-16-2019, 04:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I think after you pointed out his pics he pulled them down because your spoiler tag shows nothing and his thread is all dead links. I guess if it were as you described he probably did take them down.
Quote:
So I wasn't just trolling. The images in the spoiler tag are empty. It's not just me, someone else commented that the images were dead.
Whilst I feel I am pandering simply by responding, I will anyway as I enjoy the entertainment.

You essentially accused @Catdaddy67 of removing the images because he had been called out on them. Which was patently not the case.

Fits the definition to me.
jherring69 likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 809 Old 06-16-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
3m
Did you ever think about chairs with a non-reflective surface? It might help even more.
Javs likes this.
post #785 of 809 Old 06-16-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 1435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Did you ever think about chairs with a non-reflective surface? It might help even more.
That and covering the huge front speaker surfaces on the "screen side" with black velvet as well.

I think this would also help lower the reflectivity coefficient of Javs room.
Javs and Aztar35 like this.
post #786 of 809 Old 06-16-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 476 Post(s)
Quoted: 6819 Post(s)
Liked: 6445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulnight View Post
That and covering the huge front speaker surfaces on the "screen side" with black velvet as well.

I think this would also help lower the reflectivity coefficient of Javs room.
Already covered speakers, old photo..

And butts in chairs covers couch
Aztar35 likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #787 of 809 Old 06-16-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Thanks gentlemen.

That is still mainly my media room. I’ve changed. Some of the frames and the projector a few times over but the rest of the furnishings are the same.

I had blinds and actual 100% blackout treatment on my windows so it was pitch. Lack in my room with no lights on.

The paint on the walls is much darker flat. Town brown than appears on the pictures but I do have a wife, and she does have a lot of say on the aesthetics of every part of the house including for my office, my game room, and my media room.

She even has a lot of say on the clothes I wear. 😎

That room though, when watching movies, while not a black hole is not noticeably reflective at all and, probably because I don’t know any better, didn’t appear to wash out any of my images or impact the black floor, regardless of the numerous projectors I have had in there.

I’m certain there is an impact as Javs outlines, but to a certain extent ignorance is bliss. I haven’t quantified it and I just never notice it.

As I stated previously, to me there is no comparison in the appeal of a great DLP image to the best JVC and Sony images I have seen and despite the low native contrast ratio and that I recently removed most of the blackout treatment in my media room, except for my.blackout curtains the LK979 is still putting out the brightest (by far), super sharp, clean and dynamic image that I can recall in my media room.

And While the low APL performance is noticay different from what I would With my 11s2 or my previous LCD 3 panel projectors it is 100% satisfying and is much more “movie theater” reminiscent.

The Lk970 not only produces the best image i have seen on my screens, it also gives me a lot more flexibility with ambient light considerations and better hobby-wife balance.

I mentioned in a previous post my wife took down all of our blinds and put curtains up on all of our windows and she loves the new media room more.

Happy wife = happy life!

Anyways gentlemen, Happy Father’s Day to you all. Especially to my new friends on this thread, including Javs - who I have come to find as very well intended, and my LK mentors Dave Harper, 12gage, and tnaik.

I don’t know who those other folks were who received the lifetime bans, but I do know Dave Harper, and hopefully we can all come together to forgive him/them for their past transgressions against us and welcome them back to our family!

I was in a car accident yesterday were
I apparently fell on my head and was knocked unconscious for several minutes. It’s a long story, and while I don’t remember much about it and IIm really freaking sore, I am mostly good and it looks like my brains is intact!

I’m even more grateful for my family and what we have and what we all have!

I woke upnthis morning sore in a lot of places, with some stitches on my foot, but with My life and brain intact and NO headaches - despite a severe concussion and memory loss.

I told my wife this morning that I didn’t feel like I was close to death yesterday but that I feel like if I died today, not to worry about me and my soul because I would have died happy and living a full life.

I’m so blessed to have a beautiful wife to have been with for the last 20 or so years.

So proud of my kids and how they have turned out.

So happy about my granddaughter and my son-in-law. A couple of years ago, my daughter got pregnant her senior year in high school. At the time that I found out, that was the worst day of my life. We made the best out of it, we made my daughter finish high school. I support her and my granddaughter, who both live with me.

My daughter goes to college now, my wife is a housewife and she takes care of m3 and our family, including my granddaughter - who is the light of our lives right now, and I insisted my son in law moved in to our second master while they save money for when my daughter graduates and they move out of our house.

That was the best thing that happened to our family from something that appeared to be the worst thing.

And now on this father’s day, I feel so full of love and blessed again that from something that could have been the worst thing that ever happened to me that I feel such enlightenment.

Since this is a home theater forum, I wanted to add that even though I may. It be able to make it up to my media room for a couple of weeks that my family got me a few UHd Blu-ray’s for Father’s Day and my family watched captain marvel with me last night in my bedroom. 😎

Life is good. God is good!

Happy Father’s Day, all!

I hope all of you have a Happy Father’s Day!
post #788 of 809 Old 06-17-2019, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 4807 Post(s)
Liked: 3081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdaddy67 View Post
I do have a wife, and she does have a lot of say on the aesthetics of every part of the house including for my office, my game room, and my media room.
I'm glad you're good with your situation. I know marriage is a big compromise. But for me, I couldn't be happy this way. My wife can do whatever she wants for aesthetics of the whole house, but the game room, theater, and my office are off limits. I decide the look of those rooms. There are no trinkets put on shelves or walls etc. She can do whatever she wants to the outer door. But there's simply no BS arguing about what she thinks looks good inside those rooms. I have 6 monitors on my desk, black walls, ceilings, and carpet in my theater covered with velvet, temperatures set to 66 degrees in all 3 of these rooms, and whatever game posters and lighting I want in my game room. All these rooms have heavy solid core doors that are spring loaded and auto close. I'm responsible for vacuuming and cleaning these rooms.

I remember I had a friend that worked from home 100% of the time and his wife wouldn't allow him to have even 2 monitors on his desk because she didn't like the way it looked. She didn't even work. That kind of BS just seems too ridiculous. I'd rather be single than deal with that or have my wife tell me that we need to have open windows in my theater because it looks better.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #789 of 809 Old 06-17-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was in a car accident yesterday were
I apparently fell on my head and was knocked unconscious for several minutes. It’s a long story, and while I don’t remember much about it and IIm really freaking sore, I am mostly good and it looks like my brains is intact!

I’m even more grateful for my family and what we have and what we all have!

I woke upnthis morning sore in a lot of places, with some stitches on my foot, but with My life and brain intact and NO headaches - despite a severe concussion and memory loss.

I told my wife this morning that I didn’t feel like I was close to death yesterday but that I feel like if I died today, not to worry about me and my soul because I would have died happy and living a full life.

I’m so blessed to have a beautiful wife to have been with for the last 20 or so years.

So proud of my kids and how they have turned out.

So happy about my granddaughter and my son-in-law. A couple of years ago, my daughter got pregnant her senior year in high school. At the time that I found out, that was the worst day of my life. We made the best out of it, we made my daughter finish high school. I support her and my granddaughter, who both live with me.

My daughter goes to college now, my wife is a housewife and she takes care of m3 and our family, including my granddaughter - who is the light of our lives right now, and I insisted my son in law moved in to our second master while they save money for when my daughter graduates and they move out of our house.

That was the best thing that happened to our family from something that appeared to be the worst thing.

And now on this father’s day, I feel so full of love and blessed again that from something that could have been the worst thing that ever happened to me that I feel such enlightenment.

Since this is a home theater forum, I wanted to add that even though I may. It be able to make it up to my media room for a couple of weeks that my family got me a few UHd Blu-ray’s for Father’s Day and my family watched captain marvel with me last night in my bedroom. 😎

Life is good. God is good!

Happy Father’s Day, all!

I hope all of you have a Happy Father’s Day!
WOW. Glad you are feeling okay!

Whatever life throws at us all, if it gives one a bit of true perspective, it needs to be relished.

Nothing is quite the same as that flash of clarity where one realises what is truly important in one's life.
It is life affirming in the best way.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #790 of 809 Old 06-17-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 12025 Post(s)
Liked: 9545
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
I'm glad you're good with your situation. I know marriage is a big compromise. But for me, I couldn't be happy this way. My wife can do whatever she wants for aesthetics of the whole house, but the game room, theater, and my office are off limits. I decide the look of those rooms. There are no trinkets put on shelves or walls etc. She can do whatever she wants to the outer door. But there's simply no BS arguing about what she thinks looks good inside those rooms. I have 6 monitors on my desk, black walls, ceilings, and carpet in my theater covered with velvet, temperatures set to 66 degrees in all 3 of these rooms, and whatever game posters and lighting I want in my game room. All these rooms have heavy solid core doors that are spring loaded and auto close. I'm responsible for vacuuming and cleaning these rooms.

I remember I had a friend that worked from home 100% of the time and his wife wouldn't allow him to have even 2 monitors on his desk because she didn't like the way it looked. She didn't even work. That kind of BS just seems too ridiculous. I'd rather be single than deal with that or have my wife tell me that we need to have open windows in my theater because it looks better.
Yep, inside the theater room, I control 100%. That was the deal I made with my wife.
humbland, Craig Peer and markmon1 like this.
post #791 of 809 Old 06-17-2019, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mark, yes that is crazy about your friend. Sometimes my wife think I should work less when on vacation or on a holiday but for the most part she likes miney, therefore work things like dual-monitors and my laser printer etc are easy.

+Mike - I cut that deal with my wife early in too, but you know how it goes with rules changing. The side of my media room actually faces the front of the house, so our initial compromise was that Inhad closed blinds closest to the windows and the blackout treatment and curtains on top of it-not visible from the outside. With her recent preference for a more open look, with all the blinds going, I chose not to fight it as the blackout curtains work really good by themselves especially with the LK as my projector.

I can actually watch on it with curtains drawn and max brightness setting at mid day.

I’m sure there likely is some performance gain during the day, and maybe a smidge at night - though it’s pretty dark in there, and as long as the projector image never appears washed out or is objectionable to me I’m ok with it.

It’s a win-win. I really don’t mind any more and we both got what we wanted. 😎
post #792 of 809 Old 06-17-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Archibald, for sure.

I didn’t feel like I was compromised at all but it could have gone different ways, for sure.

The car ran over my feet, somehow, it with me being knocked out for a few minutes and the car moving it could have ran over my chest, my head, or even my legs instead.

My wife was hysterical when she replayed the day and told me what happened Saturday night. Apparently, I had been repeatedly asking the same questions over and over for hours after I came to and had forgotten that we had just gotten back from 2 weeks vacation.

That’s when it really hit me that it could have gone much worse and I just reaffirmed to her a lot of the things that i/we already knew that Maybe I had previously felt didn’t need to be said.

If it makes my family closer and less critical of each other than it’s a BiG WIN in my book.

It definitely makes me feel grateful for all that I have.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #793 of 809 Old 06-17-2019, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Archibald, for sure.

I didn’t feel like I was compromised at all but it could have gone different ways, for sure.

The car ran over my feet, somehow, it with me being knocked out for a few minutes and the car moving it could have ran over my chest, my head, or even my legs instead.

My wife was hysterical when she replayed the day and told me what happened Saturday night. Apparently, I had been repeatedly asking the same questions over and over for hours after I came to and had forgotten that we had just gotten back from 2 weeks vacation.

That’s when it really hit me that it could have gone much worse and I just reaffirmed to her a lot of the things that i/we already knew that Maybe I had previously felt didn’t need to be said.

If it makes my family closer and less critical of each other than it’s a BiG WIN in my book.

It definitely makes me feel grateful for all that I have.
Amen. BTW: If you forgot about your vacation, I think that should automatically entitle you another two weeks off. After all, if a vacation happens in the forest and nobody is there to remember it, did it really happen? Get better fast!
Archibald1 likes this.
post #794 of 809 Old 06-18-2019, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mark, yes that is crazy about your friend. Sometimes my wife think I should work less when on vacation or on a holiday but for the most part she likes miney, therefore work things like dual-monitors and my laser printer etc are easy.

+Mike - I cut that deal with my wife early in too, but you know how it goes with rules changing. The side of my media room actually faces the front of the house, so our initial compromise was that Inhad closed blinds closest to the windows and the blackout treatment and curtains on top of it-not visible from the outside. With her recent preference for a more open look, with all the blinds going, I chose not to fight it as the blackout curtains work really good by themselves especially with the LK as my projector.

I can actually watch on it with curtains drawn and max brightness setting at mid day.

I’m sure there likely is some performance gain during the day, and maybe a smidge at night - though it’s pretty dark in there, and as long as the projector image never appears washed out or is objectionable to me I’m ok with it.

It’s a win-win. I really don’t mind any more and we both got what we wanted. 😎
If it's due to outside of the house, a good compromise is to put mini blinds on the window, close them, then sheetrock over the window and that's that. Looks good from outside, no window inside. I have two windows this way here.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #795 of 809 Old 06-18-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Saul. I do remember the vacation thankfully.

I’ve got a gap from the morning/day of the accident but I feel very ok and fortunate.

My family doctor is concerned about a few things and I had to cancell a work trip for this week. He isn’t letting me drive for now and will let me go on a work trip next week, as long as I Uber/cab it over there.

I have neuro visit first thing in AM tomorrow. It’s all precautionary which I guess happens when you knock your head and are in your 50s.

I’ll be ok. Thanks all for the concern.

Let’s bring this thread back on track to the Pjs. Sorry to derail it.
post #796 of 809 Old 06-18-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mark, u did have closed blinds visible from the outside and i had a thick tarp seal the window on the inside and then blackout curtains on top of that visible from the inside.

That was the initial compromise but she recently opened up the rest of the house.
post #797 of 809 Old 06-19-2019, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Good news! As I posted earlier, when I attached my BenQ LK990 to my new ceiling mount (projector now upside down) it created a fan fault and shut down after about 45 seconds (repeatedly). I know this because of the fault LED lights (I checked the owners' manual). I contacted BenQ first thing Monday morning. The customer service rep notified the CA based office that handles this pj. Got an email later in the day to confirm the issue (I also mentioned the white dots on a white image background). They asked if I wanted to use their "replacement" program. I said yes. BenQ charged my credit card for the new pj which will be refunded if they get my old one back within 10 days. Monday night I had a panic attack as I thought I misunderstood and they were sending me a loaner. I emailed them my concern and Tuesday morning I get an email telling me that I was getting a replacement (an LK990). Here it is Wednesday and the new pj is on a fedex truck for delivery today. The new one will include a return shipping label for my broken pj.

Not delivered yet but I will let you all know if it is indeed a replacement LK990. If it is, I will be most impressed. The question is, do I have the courage to hang it upside down (lol).

Marcus
post #798 of 809 Old 06-20-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pilot View Post
Good news! As I posted earlier, when I attached my BenQ LK990 to my new ceiling mount (projector now upside down) it created a fan fault and shut down after about 45 seconds (repeatedly). I know this because of the fault LED lights (I checked the owners' manual). I contacted BenQ first thing Monday morning. The customer service rep notified the CA based office that handles this pj. Got an email later in the day to confirm the issue (I also mentioned the white dots on a white image background). They asked if I wanted to use their "replacement" program. I said yes. BenQ charged my credit card for the new pj which will be refunded if they get my old one back within 10 days. Monday night I had a panic attack as I thought I misunderstood and they were sending me a loaner. I emailed them my concern and Tuesday morning I get an email telling me that I was getting a replacement (an LK990). Here it is Wednesday and the new pj is on a fedex truck for delivery today. The new one will include a return shipping label for my broken pj.

Not delivered yet but I will let you all know if it is indeed a replacement LK990. If it is, I will be most impressed. The question is, do I have the courage to hang it upside down (lol).

Marcus
I wouldn't worry unduly as they are designed to work ceiling mounted after all. Just try not to manhandle, jolt or drop it.

Get a helping pair of hands if you haven't already.

You could always turn it upside down to test before you hang it too.

Stephen Hawking.
post #799 of 809 Old 06-20-2019, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Yes! New LK990 arrived last night. I let it acclimate to house temp overnight. Placed it upside down on my equipment cart this morning. Fired up and working. Tonight will get it mounted and set up.

Thank you BenQ for getting me a replacement so quickly.

Marcus
post #800 of 809 Old 06-20-2019, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pilot View Post
Yes! New LK990 arrived last night. I let it acclimate to house temp overnight. Placed it upside down on my equipment cart this morning. Fired up and working. Tonight will get it mounted and set up.

Thank you BenQ for getting me a replacement so quickly.

Marcus
Great news, Marcus. When you hang it tonight sure to pay special attention to the geometry. Make sure the pipe - if you're using one - is plumb. Then adjust the pitch, yaw and roll of the PJ to ensure everything is square - no keystoning. The PJ has a "grid" that can help ensure everything is square, but I think its also a good idea to feed the projector an image you know to match the aspect ratio of your screen. As you know the PJ is a bit of beast (heavy) so making small adjustments is not easy. Be patient and it'll be great. Then, enjoy the hell out of it!
post #801 of 809 Old 06-20-2019, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulP View Post
Great news, Marcus. When you hang it tonight sure to pay special attention to the geometry. Make sure the pipe - if you're using one - is plumb. Then adjust the pitch, yaw and roll of the PJ to ensure everything is square - no keystoning. The PJ has a "grid" that can help ensure everything is square, but I think its also a good idea to feed the projector an image you know to match the aspect ratio of your screen. As you know the PJ is a bit of beast (heavy) so making small adjustments is not easy. Be patient and it'll be great. Then, enjoy the hell out of it!
WOW, epic fail using my cell phone to post a message this morning (LOL). Thanks Saul for the tips. The ceiling mount uses 1.5" NPT pipe. I did come down 5' but tonight I am going to try 4' (I had an extra pipe piece). The pj worked upside down on my cart this morning (out of the box). Hanging it now. It's whole life is upside down so I am keeping my fingers crossed the fans will operate properly. One nice plus, I went from a March 2019 build date to a May 2019 build date.

If I didn't mention it, BenQ paid for and sent the new pj overnight FedEd and they emailed to me a prepaid FedEx return mailer. The old pj is already dropped off to FedEx. Done!

Marcus
Steve Siener likes this.
post #802 of 809 Old 06-20-2019, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mark, u did have closed blinds visible from the outside and i had a thick tarp seal the window on the inside and then blackout curtains on top of that visible from the inside.

That was the initial compromise but she recently opened up the rest of the house.
On the outside, you see a window with blinds closed. Looks super clean. On the inside you just see a wall with no indication a window is there.

post #803 of 809 Old 06-20-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes. I understand what you did. 😎. That definitely would be a clean look.

I don’t know that my wife would have gone for that.

I was against removing the blinds throughout the house myself but I actually like it now.

I guess that’s why we let our wives decide on the decorations.

Congrats on the new projector! The BenQ customer service is pretty decent.

I’m glad they got you sorted out.
post #804 of 809 Old 06-20-2019, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Had some friends over tonight. They helped me hoist up the new projector on to the ceiling mount. Nice! Leveled. I do have to use edge reduction to make it fit (26 foot throw on to 159 inch diagonal). Not much. But the picture fits and is completely square. I changed the ceiling drop from 5 foot to 4 foot. Excellent! Watched LUCY in 4K. The information screen showed 4K and HDR. No other tweaks. Picture was fabulous right out of the box. BC on. Smart Eco Lamp. Cool lamp white balance. AND, it is on the ceiling mount. I think I can take a breath now. My friends absolutely were impressed with the picture.

One last addition is room treatment from GIK. Delivery 2nd week of July. Can't wait.

Marcus
post #805 of 809 Old 07-15-2019, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
About to purchase the LK990 for a dedicated theater with no windows. I do love sports equivalent to movies, hence going to bright. But I’m worried about the blacks and am hoping the right screen will help. Leaning towards an SI Slate AT but am stuck between the 1.2 and .8. Advice in this or other options?
post #806 of 809 Old 08-07-2019, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Been a while since I posted here, but currently having an experience worth mentioning.

After about 6 months of use, my LK990 has been functioning well until last weekend, the fan started making a grinding noise. Its not extremely loud, but during very quite scenes it can definitely and plainly be heard. Very annoying. But this is not the worst part of the story.

As it turns out, BenQ has no RMA stock or distribution stock to swap out projectors with me. The terms of my buying this specific projector was that BenQ would overnight a replacement if a warranty issue arose. Since that cannot happen, my only option at this time is to send it in for repairs. They said they could expedite the repair and return it. Since they have no units for replacement, I would doubt they could expedite the repair in a reasonable amount of time either. probably several days or maybe even weeks without the unit if I sent it to them.

Also, for BenQ to overnight a warranty replacement unit, they require to charge your credit card something like 4 grand and its held until they get the other projector back. In other words, your credit card is tied with that charge for up to two weeks before they will refund it. I never saw anything about these terms that I can remember before making the purchase.

So for warranty issues, an LK990 owner might be pretty screwed at current. Maybe this will change as the LK990 line matures more, but thats just a guess. Luckily my issue isn't one that keeps the projector from being used (hopefully it doesnt get worse), but had I known the state of warranty and BenQ procedures/terms at the time I purchased this projector, I may have passed on buying it. For now, Im stuck between a rock and a hard spot.

Thought I would pass this experience along to prospective owners.
post #807 of 809 Old 08-13-2019, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRC View Post
Been a while since I posted here, but currently having an experience worth mentioning.

After about 6 months of use, my LK990 has been functioning well until last weekend, the fan started making a grinding noise. Its not extremely loud, but during very quite scenes it can definitely and plainly be heard. Very annoying. But this is not the worst part of the story.

As it turns out, BenQ has no RMA stock or distribution stock to swap out projectors with me. The terms of my buying this specific projector was that BenQ would overnight a replacement if a warranty issue arose. Since that cannot happen, my only option at this time is to send it in for repairs. They said they could expedite the repair and return it. Since they have no units for replacement, I would doubt they could expedite the repair in a reasonable amount of time either. probably several days or maybe even weeks without the unit if I sent it to them.

Also, for BenQ to overnight a warranty replacement unit, they require to charge your credit card something like 4 grand and its held until they get the other projector back. In other words, your credit card is tied with that charge for up to two weeks before they will refund it. I never saw anything about these terms that I can remember before making the purchase.

So for warranty issues, an LK990 owner might be pretty screwed at current. Maybe this will change as the LK990 line matures more, but thats just a guess. Luckily my issue isn't one that keeps the projector from being used (hopefully it doesnt get worse), but had I known the state of warranty and BenQ procedures/terms at the time I purchased this projector, I may have passed on buying it. For now, Im stuck between a rock and a hard spot.

Thought I would pass this experience along to prospective owners.
I was lucky as they had a replacement available for me. Yes, they did put a hold of about $4K on my credit card, but within a couple days they had my old unit and released the hold. My new unit is (knock wood) working just fine. If they come out with a firmware update, I may have to send it in as that is how it's done. Also, I have about 6 stuck pixels (bottom of screen). Only seen when during a white background. Not worth sending it in for repair right now.
post #808 of 809 Old 08-14-2019, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I. Does this projector have lens memory and lens shifts

2. Can you use a Lumagen unit for HDR tone mapping and to improve the black levels ? I assume there is no dynamic iris?

3. Contrast will be pretty bad compared to Sony 5000es. What is real world contrast ? This projector will have better lumens and sharper image than the es5000 which costs $50,000 more. What sacrifice is there other than the poor contrast and poor HDR handling ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #809 of 809 Old 08-14-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 12025 Post(s)
Liked: 9545
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
I. Does this projector have lens memory and lens shifts

2. Can you use a Lumagen unit for HDR tone mapping and to improve the black levels ? I assume there is no dynamic iris?

3. Contrast will be pretty bad compared to Sony 5000es. What is real world contrast ? This projector will have better lumens and sharper image than the es5000 which costs $50,000 more. What sacrifice is there other than the poor contrast and poor HDR handling ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1. No does not have lens memory and it also does not have powered lens controls, so you would have to physically get to the projector to manually adjust the lens.
2. Yes it is possible, but not easy.
3. Native contrast is around 1,000:1 and dynamic is around 4,000:1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page