BenQ LK990 Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 534Likes

post #61 of 805 Old 02-16-2019, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulnight View Post
Do you have a link, reference, price for the color filter?

Do you put them on the lens or inside the projector?

Thanks.

No sorry I’m not ready to share that yet. They are external filters for now, but may remain that way since they should be able to work with any Rec709+ projector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
.......First of all the low RBE performance of the HT9060's fast cycling LEDs is kind of a big deal. The stable picture, free of RBE, is why a lot of people bought 3 chip DLPs back in the day. You can get something approaching that 3-chip stability with the HT9060, while retaining the sharpness of a single chip - a pretty great combo.

There is also the fact that you wouldn't have to buy a third party filter with the HT9060, nor do you lose light output in P3 mode with the HT9060.

Further, the HT9060 has less moving parts than the LK990, with no wheels at all instead of the multiple wheels the LK990 has. Some may like the no-wheels setup better from a reliability standpoint since when DLP projectors fail color wheels are one of the common culprits.

So, the HT9060 definitely has benefits the LK990 lacks, and vice versa. Until a future version of the LK990 is released with native p3 and fast cycling RGB lasers, the HT9060 will be a more attractive projective to some users simply due to its viewing comfort. It really comes down to whether you want the more punchy & dynamic picture (LK990), or the more comfortable one (HT9060).

Simply looking at the way they are configured these projectors address two different audiences: For someone who does a lot of movie marathons or has younger kids, the HT9060 is the better choice IMO - a perfect projector for an enthusiast w/ a family who wants something that won't be too hard on the eyes for any involved. For an enthusiast looking for maximum HDR impact that isn't as concerned with others watching their screen, the LK990 is the better choice. And if you have a significant amount of ambient light and a larger screen, the LK990's extra lumens will help retain a saturated image - though the HT9060 will work for this too on smaller screens.

You keep writing about this “comfort” as some sort of advantage to the HT9050/9060 LED line has over the LK970/990 lasers, but I can tell you I’ve had both the HT9050 and LK970 here and without a doubt the Laser Phosphor LK970 was and is much easier on the eyes! The HT9050 was so harsh looking with horrible motion, much less sharp, 3D, detailed, not near as smooth and cinematic and just looked plain “digital” if that’s a word.

Quote:
Those type of yellow notch filters cut the light output by ~20% typically. I know the LK990 has a lot to start with, but worth noting you will lose some of that high output dynamic look of the LK990 for the higher color gamut. This does not happen with RGB LED/Laser projectors since the light source is natively capable of P3..........
Quote:
The LK series also loses many more lumens when calibrated since it's maxed for brightness instead of color accuracy out of the box. LK970 calibrated drops from 5000 to 3600 lumens, a 1400 lumen loss. HT9060 drops from 2200 lumens to 1700 lumens calibrated, a 500 lumen loss. So the lk990 isn't starting with as much as you think, though it's still quite a bit; given the way-off results posted here by an lk990 owner I wouldnt be surprised if it's the same hardware as the lk970 with color further tweaked for max brightness.

The LK990 with the filter in place fully calibrated will likely be in the 2700-2900 lumens range in p3 after filter. Still higher than the ht9060 1700 calibrated lumens in p3, but not double the lumens like without the filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
That is a lot of lumens loss... still, it'll be more than the JVC Z1 (with filter in), that only gets about 2000 lumens...
I’m not using a yellow notch filter and the lumen loss appears less. I’ll have hard numbers once I have the time to invest in more testing.

Quote:
The problem is virtually all blue laser designs for 4K DLP are setup for max brightness - typically the same design from Coretonic which involves blue laser with phosphor wheel and RGBY color wheel equivalent output (B/Y segments are clear to use laser/phosphor respectively and max brightness), no yellow notch filter. Without a more color accurate, wide gamut, high contrast design out of box DLP blue lasers are going to be very bright but very inaccurate and require major calibration to reign in and extra hardware to reach p3.

The HLD LED projectors have been more accurate out of box but it seems they are having issues getting an effective dynamic dimming system in place to max dynamic contrast. Not sure if this is a limitation of the tech (hard to aggressively dim HLD clusters?) or simply lack of effort in design (it's also a Coretonic design).

Sadly Delta has not even attempted a mid-range 4k DLP HT projector which is too bad as their 1080p home theater LED DLPs were great with very effective dynamic dimming.

This Delta design is the closest I've seen to a 4k dlp blue laser optimized for contrast, 2000:1 native & 18000:1 dynamic:

https://www.digitalprojection.com/di...c-u.php?id=862
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 805 Old 02-19-2019, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone heard anything regarding availability and/or Anthony did you ever get a new unit in to calibrate?

I have not heard back from my dealer yet regarding availability. Hoping to have this before GoT premier... haha.
post #63 of 805 Old 02-19-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
You keep writing about this “comfort” as some sort of advantage to the HT9050/9060 LED line has over the LK970/990 lasers, but I can tell you I’ve had both the HT9050 and LK970 here and without a doubt the Laser Phosphor LK970 was and is much easier on the eyes! The HT9050 was so harsh looking with horrible motion, much less sharp, 3D, detailed, not near as smooth and cinematic and just looked plain “digital” if that’s a word.
The HT9050 initial firmware had a lot of issues that the HT9060 will remedy, some of which were also remedied in later Ht9050 firmware; for instance the initial HT9050 did not take advantage of the LED speed and was actually slower in cycling than most projectors as a result. LK970 came out long after the X12000 (HT9050), as the X12000 was the 1st 4K DLP solid state projector released, and the 2nd 4K DLP projector released overall - so x12000 had a lot of issues and unfinished features to be first to market - while the LK970 used more refined firmware with its later release.

With the features enabled in the HT9060 theoretically it should be easier on the eyes than the LK990, but yes we need a real shootout to compare this.
Dave Harper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 805 Old 02-19-2019, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
The HT9050 initial firmware had a lot of issues that the HT9060 will remedy, some of which were also remedied in later Ht9050 firmware; for instance the initial HT9050 did not take advantage of the LED speed and was actually slower in cycling than most projectors as a result. LK970 came out long after the X12000 (HT9050), as the X12000 was the 1st 4K DLP solid state projector released, and the 2nd 4K DLP projector released overall - so x12000 had a lot of issues and unfinished features to be first to market - while the LK970 used more refined firmware with its later release.

With the features enabled in the HT9060 theoretically it should be easier on the eyes than the LK990, but yes we need a real shootout to compare this.
Not and owner but....

Just wanted to say that I have spend an entire day ( 6-10 hours ) watching my UHZ65 ( laser light source ) and have never had an issue with it being hard on the eyes. I have also had dozens of people spend hours watching and none of them have had any issues either. Having owned DLP projectors for the last 15 years, I always ask my guests if they notice things like RBE, eyestrain, etc..

I have yet to have anyone tell me that they have noticed anything other that a great picture.
DunMunro likes this.

Display: Optoma UHZ65 - Screen: DIY 114" AT Spandex (White over Black)
Receiver: Marantz SR7011 - Speakers: 7.4.4 All Paradigm with 4 DIY 15" Subs
Source: Zidoo X8, Roku Ultimate+, PS4 Pro
post #65 of 805 Old 02-19-2019, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I bet, he hasn't seen a UHZ65.

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.
post #66 of 805 Old 02-19-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jherring69 View Post
Not and owner but....

Just wanted to say that I have spend an entire day ( 6-10 hours ) watching my UHZ65 ( laser light source ) and have never had an issue with it being hard on the eyes. I have also had dozens of people spend hours watching and none of them have had any issues either. Having owned DLP projectors for the last 15 years, I always ask my guests if they notice things like RBE, eyestrain, etc..

I have yet to have anyone tell me that they have noticed anything other that a great picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
I bet, he hasn't seen a UHZ65.
Several owners from the owners thread had to return the UHZ65 because the RBE bothered them too much. Other people say RBE is not an issue. One of those owners @svtdougie returned the UHZ65 because of too much RBE, bought an HT9060 and seems to love it as far less RBE for him.

RBE varies by person so you can't really use your own personal experience and say everyone will have the same experience. Generally there are greater reports of RBE with slower sequential color systems, which logically makes sense as the slower the sequential color the easier for your brain to pick up on color breakup. Assuming benq has correct diagrams the HT9060 has faster sequential color than both the UHZ65/LK990 thus a smaller percentage of people should see RBE on the HT9060.

I am not sure how the lk990 will compare to the uhz65 as you can do some color wheel segment tweaks to lower RBE somewhat but per BenQs diagram it uses a similar sequential color setup as uhz65. Historically though sequential color speed is the largest influencer of RBE with these type of segment tweaks making smaller improvements.

Also I personally have no interest in the UHZ65 since it lacks 3D. The HT9060/LK990 are the first DLP 4k units I'd consider buying.

Last edited by Ruined; 02-19-2019 at 02:10 PM.
post #67 of 805 Old 02-19-2019, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Sorry again for being OT in an owners thread.

@Ruined of course the LED options are great for people who have issues with rainbows. Most people don't. Most don't have eye strain and discomfort from watching a laser light source projector either, but you are always talking about it. Nothing wrong with that, but since this an owners thread and neither of us have an LK990, I suggest that we move on to other threads

Hopefully, for anyone with the budget to buy one of these, they also have the smarts to actually do some research, reading, viewing, before making their purchase. Filling up Owner's Threads talking about other Techs and Projectors doesn't help anyone. The owner's thread for my UHZ65 is full of hundreds of posts that contribute absolutely nothing to anyone, especially the actual owners

P.S. You were editing your post while I was typing so I'll just say this....I agree with a lot of stuff that you post on the forums. My personal experience is just that. I didn't say that I spoke for everyone as you say. How about this....Of the 100 people that have been through my Theater Room in the last 15 years, only 1 has ever seen Rainbows. I'm going to leave now

Sorry again guys,

Jason
wiau2007 likes this.

Display: Optoma UHZ65 - Screen: DIY 114" AT Spandex (White over Black)
Receiver: Marantz SR7011 - Speakers: 7.4.4 All Paradigm with 4 DIY 15" Subs
Source: Zidoo X8, Roku Ultimate+, PS4 Pro

Last edited by jherring69; 02-19-2019 at 02:27 PM.
post #68 of 805 Old 03-10-2019, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Joined the forum because I recently became an LK990 owner and thought Id give my 2 cents for what its worth.
I’m not a professional installer nor a calibration expert. I previously owned an Epson 6030UB and 6040UB. They were fair but just couldn’t meet my lustful desires for a truly big beautiful picture.

I purchased my LK990 partly due to conversation I read here on AVS Forums. Being such a new unit, there’s not much info out there. I’m projecting the LK990 image on a specially prepped 150” diagonal section of wall painted with a bright white reflective paint. Nuthin fancy but really smooooth.

Out of the box, this projector can put out a pretty decent image, but once playing with adjustments, you can bring this thing to life and output some awesome and beautiful picture. While most hype on projectors claim that 2000 – 2500 lumen brightness is plenty for home use, I call BS on that for sure. The 6000 lumens of this projector pushes the picture to rival most any 4k flat panel out there, and yes, even the OLED sets. The HDR10 capability is just as awesome as the projector covers all color space BT.709, BT.2020, and DCI-P3. Again, I am no calibration expert, but adjusting a little of this and that with HDR brightness, preset gamma settings, color enhancer, etc., this thing will flat put out a 3d looking window image that you swear you could walk into. Ambient light has little effect. The picture is just as clear colorful and bright in a lit room as it is in a totally dark room. The 6000 lumens IS KEY!

Personally, I think all the talk about calibration is a waste of time because when you have something that will project an image this strong, bright, and beautiful, you can and will want to take it beyond basic one size fits all settings. It depends on what you are watching and I'm always making small tweaks depending on the source image that keeps setting new heights. There are enough settings on this thing to satisfy any button pusher junkie for hours on end.
The only cons I have experienced are the lens shift adjusters are pretty sloppy and as far from precision as you can get, although once you get it set and positioned, its no longer an issue. Also, the remote control is a really cheap piece. Very disappointed in that. Maybe BenQ will come out with something better if they get enough complaints. Other than those two things, this projector is excellent whether watching Blu-ray, youtube, home video, HDTV, or whatever the source. It does a superb job of upscaling HD content as well. Sports programming is outstanding. You would swear you are actually in the stands at the event you’re watching. High speed action such as auto racing is clear as a bell. No motion blur. I don’t play games on this but I would assume the image has just as much quality as any other source. I have no idea about lag, but high-speed motion is so sharp and clear, lag is probably pretty much a non-issue.

I can obviously highly recommend this projector. Cant beat it for performance and price tag. It will awe you even though its not pushed as a home cinema unit, it does home cinema superbly. I have a 10 bit HDR PC monitor to the side of my chair and I can sort of view the image on both at the same time. The projected image gives my PC monitor fits in comparing quality of picture. The projected image of the LK990 really is that good. and I'm not even using a $3k screen! If you can't afford a 150" 4K flat panel, here's the next best thing.

Hope this is of use to someone,

DJ
post #69 of 805 Old 03-11-2019, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 387
I feel the same way about the 970. Glad you like the 990 it is a great unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRC View Post
Joined the forum because I recently became an LK990 owner and thought Id give my 2 cents for what its worth.
I’m not a professional installer nor a calibration expert. I previously owned an Epson 6030UB and 6040UB. They were fair but just couldn’t meet my lustful desires for a truly big beautiful picture.

I purchased my LK990 partly due to conversation I read here on AVS Forums. Being such a new unit, there’s not much info out there. I’m projecting the LK990 image on a specially prepped 150” diagonal section of wall painted with a bright white reflective paint. Nuthin fancy but really smooooth.

Out of the box, this projector can put out a pretty decent image, but once playing with adjustments, you can bring this thing to life and output some awesome and beautiful picture. While most hype on projectors claim that 2000 – 2500 lumen brightness is plenty for home use, I call BS on that for sure. The 6000 lumens of this projector pushes the picture to rival most any 4k flat panel out there, and yes, even the OLED sets. The HDR10 capability is just as awesome as the projector covers all color space BT.709, BT.2020, and DCI-P3. Again, I am no calibration expert, but adjusting a little of this and that with HDR brightness, preset gamma settings, color enhancer, etc., this thing will flat put out a 3d looking window image that you swear you could walk into. Ambient light has little effect. The picture is just as clear colorful and bright in a lit room as it is in a totally dark room. The 6000 lumens IS KEY!

Personally, I think all the talk about calibration is a waste of time because when you have something that will project an image this strong, bright, and beautiful, you can and will want to take it beyond basic one size fits all settings. It depends on what you are watching and I'm always making small tweaks depending on the source image that keeps setting new heights. There are enough settings on this thing to satisfy any button pusher junkie for hours on end.
The only cons I have experienced are the lens shift adjusters are pretty sloppy and as far from precision as you can get, although once you get it set and positioned, its no longer an issue. Also, the remote control is a really cheap piece. Very disappointed in that. Maybe BenQ will come out with something better if they get enough complaints. Other than those two things, this projector is excellent whether watching Blu-ray, youtube, home video, HDTV, or whatever the source. It does a superb job of upscaling HD content as well. Sports programming is outstanding. You would swear you are actually in the stands at the event you’re watching. High speed action such as auto racing is clear as a bell. No motion blur. I don’t play games on this but I would assume the image has just as much quality as any other source. I have no idea about lag, but high-speed motion is so sharp and clear, lag is probably pretty much a non-issue.

I can obviously highly recommend this projector. Cant beat it for performance and price tag. It will awe you even though its not pushed as a home cinema unit, it does home cinema superbly. I have a 10 bit HDR PC monitor to the side of my chair and I can sort of view the image on both at the same time. The projected image gives my PC monitor fits in comparing quality of picture. The projected image of the LK990 really is that good. and I'm not even using a $3k screen! If you can't afford a 150" 4K flat panel, here's the next best thing.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

DJ
post #70 of 805 Old 03-11-2019, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I can obviously highly recommend this projector. Cant beat it for performance and price tag. It will awe you even though its not pushed as a home cinema unit, it does home cinema superbly. I have a 10 bit HDR PC monitor to the side of my chair and I can sort of view the image on both at the same time. The projected image gives my PC monitor fits in comparing quality of picture. The projected image of the LK990 really is that good. and I'm not even using a $3k screen! If you can't afford a 150" 4K flat panel, here's the next best thing.

DJ
Glad to hear you are so pleased with your choice of the LK990.

Motion blur is a big issue with me for fast moving sports so your positive report helps take a big question mark out of the equation.

I am considering this projector for a 135 diagonal screen which will put the project right over head of the center seat in our room.

What is your comment about noise from the projector at the various brightness settings... is this something I should be concerned about?

Currently using a Marantz 1080P DLP 15-S1 projector and never had an issue with RBE or for that matter anyone else that has watched it so RBE is not a big concern although any comments you have would be interesting about RBE.

Thanks and enjoy your new projector.
arpatel likes this.
post #71 of 805 Old 03-11-2019, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

DJ
Something that nobody mentioned yet is if the LK970 and LK990 are outputting at 24p (or a multiple of 24hz). I'm very interested to know if it does and also if it stays at 24hz even with xpr enabled. Thanks for sharing your experience!
post #72 of 805 Old 03-11-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC57 View Post

What is your comment about noise from the projector at the various brightness settings... is this something I should be concerned about?

When you first fire it up, you can hear the fan kick on as it's warming up. Probably just a normal startup procedure (system check) since it does it each time you turn it on. Once the laser kicks on and a picture appears, I never hear fan noise again, a non-issue really. Its probably about 5 to 6 feet from my head. I dont hear it even if I switch it to full brightness settings. Just make sure not to block the intake and exhaust cooling grids(front and rear).
post #73 of 805 Old 03-11-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Currently using a Marantz 1080P DLP 15-S1 projector and never had an issue with RBE or for that matter anyone else that has watched it so RBE is not a big concern although any comments you have would be interesting about RBE.
Sorry, I missed this question. I've only ever noticed RBE with one youtube vid and that was a "blink and you'll miss it" event. Never see RBE with anything else I watch or have watched
post #74 of 805 Old 03-11-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:

DJ
Nice... i too believe in bright images... can't get enough lumens... yet people on these forums want to purposefully calibrate to 30 fL for HDR.. that would just look anaemic...

BTW: Have you had a chance to watch 3D on this? I would love to hear your opinion on that...

Also, have you tried harpervision on it?
post #75 of 805 Old 03-11-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:

DJ

Thanks for the great review DJ!

Now get ready to do this................

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Nice... i too believe in bright images... can't get enough lumens... yet people on these forums want to purposefully calibrate to 30 fL for HDR.. that would just look anaemic...

BTW: Have you had a chance to watch 3D on this? I would love to hear your opinion on that...

Also, have you tried harpervision on it?

I’m not sure what the settings would be on an LK990 yet, so I’m not sure if it would be a good thing to just load the LK970 settings for HarperVision (which I am still fine tuning) into an LK990.
DunMunro likes this.
post #76 of 805 Old 03-11-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When you first fire it up, you can hear the fan kick on as it's warming up. Probably just a normal startup procedure (system check) since it does it each time you turn it on. Once the laser kicks on and a picture appears, I never hear fan noise again, a non-issue really. Its probably about 5 to 6 feet from my head. I dont hear it even if I switch it to full brightness settings. Just make sure not to block the intake and exhaust cooling grids(front and rear).
That's interesting as someone on here the other day said the lk970 was loud even in eco mode. Does the lk990 have some new cooling improvements?
post #77 of 805 Old 03-11-2019, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Ruined, I think it comes down to environment. Mine has never been loud at all. They could have always re-tuned the fan algorithms or added cooling but the chassis is the same so I doubt a hardware change.

Quote:
That's interesting as someone on here the other day said the lk970 was loud even in eco mode. Does the lk990 have some new cooling improvements?
post #78 of 805 Old 03-11-2019, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 154
DJRC. Thanks for the review and also for clarifying the issue of fan noise. Mine will be mounted such that it has a huge amount of open space around it on all sides (including on top). Hopefully, that will keep it as quiet as you say.

When you get a chance, please tell us more about your set up. For example how are you feeding it? What kind of screen?
post #79 of 805 Old 03-11-2019, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 235
In eco mode on the 970 the fan is quite, if its not than ur not having good airflow, in normal mode it is louder but while watching a movie i cant hear it.
I dont know why BenQ decided to downgrade the remote on the 990, the 970 remote is very high quality one.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #80 of 805 Old 03-11-2019, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 141
The LK990 is as loud in eco as my RS500 was in high. They both measured about 40-41db on my spl app from about a foot away. In normal or ecosmart the Lk990 measures 45db. It’s pretty loud in those modes.
post #81 of 805 Old 03-11-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulP View Post
DJRC. Thanks for the review and also for clarifying the issue of fan noise. Mine will be mounted such that it has a huge amount of open space around it on all sides (including on top). Hopefully, that will keep it as quiet as you say.

When you get a chance, please tell us more about your set up. For example how are you feeding it? What kind of screen?
I think as long as the intake and exhaust of the cooling path is not obstructed, the unit just doesn't seem to build any significant heat, therefore, no noise loud enough to be a bother even on brightest settings which you wouldn't need to use often.

I run my sources through a Denon AVRX6300H 4K receiver. I set up the speaker system in 7.4.2 Atmos with speakers in the ceiling, not the "up directing ones". Main sources are satellite TV and PC. With most all of my blurays on PC, I rarely ever use an actual bluray player. Nvidia card controls it all.

I made the decision not to use a screen with any of the projectors I've owned. I've viewed them in retail stores but I just cant imagine that $3k or $4k for a really nice screen is going to provide $3k or $4k worth of better picture than I have now. I suppose it might be interesting to try out some darker surfaces like a light or slightly darker than light silver screen, but the quality of picture I'm getting now, I have to resort to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" way of reasoning.

I haven't had the opportunity to try anything 3D yet. I'm betting though that with this much laser power, you wouldn't have the typical issue of a 3D picture being on the darkish side. Im sure you could use the brightness modes to help 3D out just like you use the adjustable HDR brightness levels. BenQ really put the essentials in the projector to cover just about any "fussy" video content you might run across.

While cameras rarely do things like this andy justice whatsoever, when I get some time, I'll try and get a couple of three pictures of some content and post them up.

Cheers,

DJ
post #82 of 805 Old 03-11-2019, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgolf View Post
The LK990 is as loud in eco as my RS500 was in high. They both measured about 40-41db on my spl app from about a foot away. In normal or ecosmart the Lk990 measures 45db. It’s pretty loud in those modes.
So, how do you like the LK990 vs your RS500?? Can you live with the blacks of the LK990 after having a JVC?

Thanks,
Mike

JVC RS600(Fantastically calibrated by ChadB), Stewart Cima Neve 2.35 115" diagonal screen, Darbee Darblet, Denon AVR-X7200WA(7.6.4), M&K Speakers, 6 ported 18" subs powered by 3 inuke 6000dsps, 2 Behringer B1200D Mid Bass Modules, Buttkicker transducer, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray player
post #83 of 805 Old 03-11-2019, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I’ve had the 990 for a few days now, but haven’t had time to really sit down and evaluate it properly.

At first sight it’s brilliantly bright and gives a nice calm solid image. I also noticed immediately that the black levels are much poorer than my JVC, I knew that going in but it’s slaps you in the face on darker scenes. I may try some grey screens to help the black floor. I have a sample of the Severston TAT-4K that helps the black levels quite a bit at the expense of the brighter image, so it’s a double edged sword. We’ll see...

Sharpness and detail are fantastic! No complaints there. It’s definitely a nice upgrade over the JVC in that regard.

Colors pop and have good saturation. It defaults to Rec2020 in hdr mode, but there is a dci-p3 mode as well. Not sure which is the one to use.

Another observation is that it locks you into hdr mode when inputting hdr material. You can’t change it to cinema or any other setting. So I haven’t been able to try any harpervision settings. I guess I’d need an hdfury linker?

As I mentioned before the fan is pretty loud in normal and ecosmart. Speaking of ecosmart I haven’t seen it really doing anything. In complete fades to blacks it’s still a grey screen. I would think if laser dimming was happening it could be near black in those instances. I did notice some pumping when setting brightness using a pattern, so I’m not sure what’s going on.

Overall I’m impressed so far, except for those blacks. I’ll be honest I do miss those JVC blacks. I haven’t fiddled much with any settings and I feel it can only get better. I’ll know more this Friday when an RS2000 is coming over for a direct comparison.
post #84 of 805 Old 03-11-2019, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
As I mentioned before the fan is pretty loud in normal and ecosmart. Speaking of ecosmart I haven’t seen it really doing anything. In complete fades to blacks it’s still a grey screen. I would think if laser dimming was happening it could be near black in those instances. I did notice some pumping when setting brightness using a pattern, so I’m not sure what’s going on.

Overall I’m impressed so far, except for those blacks. I’ll be honest I do miss those JVC blacks. I haven’t fiddled much with any settings and I feel it can only get better. I’ll know more this Friday when an RS2000 is coming over for a direct comparison.
A shame that some sort of laser dimming is not helping blacks. I want my next projector to be laser and very bright so having those 2 attributes and wanting very good blacks is probably asking too much in this price range. Thanks for all your observations and can't wait to hear how the RS2000 compares.

Thanks again,
Mike

JVC RS600(Fantastically calibrated by ChadB), Stewart Cima Neve 2.35 115" diagonal screen, Darbee Darblet, Denon AVR-X7200WA(7.6.4), M&K Speakers, 6 ported 18" subs powered by 3 inuke 6000dsps, 2 Behringer B1200D Mid Bass Modules, Buttkicker transducer, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray player
post #85 of 805 Old 03-11-2019, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Excellent news. I am sure you will have fun putting the unit through it’s paces. I am sure the picture will get better once you dial the settings in. If BenQ could ever get the dimming algorithm close to the eco blank mode I think most would be happy. If you get a chance try the eco blank and see what the screen looks like. That should be about 15% laser power per my estimates on my 970.

Quote:
I’ve had the 990 for a few days now, but haven’t had time to really sit down and evaluate it properly.

At first sight it’s brilliantly bright and gives a nice calm solid image. I also noticed immediately that the black levels are much poorer than my JVC, I knew that going in but it’s slaps you in the face on darker scenes. I may try some grey screens to help the black floor. I have a sample of the Severston TAT-4K that helps the black levels quite a bit at the expense of the brighter image, so it’s a double edged sword. We’ll see...

Sharpness and detail are fantastic! No complaints there. It’s definitely a nice upgrade over the JVC in that regard.

Colors pop and have good saturation. It defaults to Rec2020 in hdr mode, but there is a dci-p3 mode as well. Not sure which is the one to use.

Another observation is that it locks you into hdr mode when inputting hdr material. You can’t change it to cinema or any other setting. So I haven’t been able to try any harpervision settings. I guess I’d need an hdfury linker?

post #86 of 805 Old 03-11-2019, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I think as long as the intake and exhaust of the cooling path is not obstructed, the unit just doesn't seem to build any significant heat, therefore, no noise loud enough to be a bother even on brightest settings which you wouldn't need to use often.

I run my sources through a Denon AVRX6300H 4K receiver. I set up the speaker system in 7.4.2 Atmos with speakers in the ceiling, not the "up directing ones". Main sources are satellite TV and PC. With most all of my blurays on PC, I rarely ever use an actual bluray player. Nvidia card controls it all.

I made the decision not to use a screen with any of the projectors I've owned. I've viewed them in retail stores but I just cant imagine that $3k or $4k for a really nice screen is going to provide $3k or $4k worth of better picture than I have now. I suppose it might be interesting to try out some darker surfaces like a light or slightly darker than light silver screen, but the quality of picture I'm getting now, I have to resort to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" way of reasoning.

I haven't had the opportunity to try anything 3D yet. I'm betting though that with this much laser power, you wouldn't have the typical issue of a 3D picture being on the darkish side. Im sure you could use the brightness modes to help 3D out just like you use the adjustable HDR brightness levels. BenQ really put the essentials in the projector to cover just about any "fussy" video content you might run across.

While cameras rarely do things like this andy justice whatsoever, when I get some time, I'll try and get a couple of three pictures of some content and post them up.

Cheers,

DJ
Hi DJRC

So your sports are sourced from Satellite? Motion blur is still good with these input resolutions of 720P or 1080i from ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX... for fast moving sports.

I know you reported motion has great with the LK990 but just would like to confirm motion and picture quality is good with these lower resolutions.

Keep the reports coming if you can!!
post #87 of 805 Old 03-11-2019, 11:38 PM

BenQ LK990 Owners Thread

Quote:

Thanks for the report. That sucks that you’re locked into their HDR mode when it receives it. I’ll have to figure out an alternative to get some HarperVision cranking on that thing. Maybe I’ll disable the HDR flag with the HDFury Vertex, like we used to do for the JVCs to avoid automatic Gamma D mode.

You should use the BT2020 color mode because that’s the container the P3 is mastered into on things like UHD Blurays.
post #88 of 805 Old 03-12-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:

Thanks for the writeup...

It's very informative... I wonder if dialing the brightness down would bring you to an acceptable black floor... (without crushing the blacks.. someone said these machines shows more black details than necessary so that might work out)
post #89 of 805 Old 03-12-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Hi DJRC

So your sports are sourced from Satellite? Motion blur is still good with these input resolutions of 720P or 1080i from ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX... for fast moving sports.

I know you reported motion has great with the LK990 but just would like to confirm motion and picture quality is good with these lower resolutions.

Keep the reports coming if you can!!
I have only run across one instance that motion blur entered the picture. Oddly enough that was with NBA games. With camera angle upstairs at a distance the players will sometimes get a tick out of focus when running down the court, but when camera shots are down lower level on the court the picture is crystal clear at all times whether the players are running or standing still. Not sure why only the upstairs camera would do that. The auto racing I have viewed has no motion blur at all from any camera angle. Just a really nice sharp clear picture.

I have run across one other issue that I have seen mentioned by others concerning the auto HDR. As we all know, some HDR content really looks like crap but might look ok if you disable HDR. With this projector though, you cannot disable the auto feature. I have contacted BenQ and they are suppose to have the guru's call me back. Hopefully they can push out a firmware update to allow the ability to disable auto HDR. I also took the opportunity to complain about the cheapness of the remote control. Maybe they will offer an upgrade, maybe not. If enough people complain, maybe they will.

Back to the fan noise, I set the projector on the highest brightness and let it run that way for a while. I then placed my hand over the cooling exhaust panels on front of the projector, and the exiting air was no more than about luke warm or maybe just a tick more. Definitely not enough to make the cooling fan kick into high gear for any reason. If you stick your ear right in the grill, you can hear the fan. Cant imagine why your head would be any closer than 4 or 5 feet from the projector during normal viewing, but at that distance, fan noise should unnoticeable unless something is blocking the air intake on the back of the projector causing it to overheat.

DJ
post #90 of 805 Old 03-12-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Thanks for the report. That sucks that you’re locked into their HDR mode when it receives it. I’ll have to figure out an alternative to get some HarperVision cranking on that thing. Maybe I’ll disable the HDR flag with the HDFury Vertex, like we used to do for the JVCs to avoid automatic Gamma D mode.

You should use the BT2020 color mode because that’s the container the P3 is mastered into on things like UHD Blurays.
Everyone whose tried the ht9060 seems to be raving about the benq HDR pro processing as much better than typical projector HDR processing. Do you think your tweaks are still needed on the lk990? May be the case as BenQ might have different goals with the HDR processing due to the target market of each (ie lots of ambient light vs little ambient light).

Last edited by Ruined; 03-12-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page