BenQ LK990 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 534Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 805 Old 03-12-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blastermaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sunny Okanagan
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgolf View Post
I’ve had the 990 for a few days now, but haven’t had time to really sit down and evaluate it properly.

At first sight it’s brilliantly bright and gives a nice calm solid image. I also noticed immediately that the black levels are much poorer than my JVC, I knew that going in but it’s slaps you in the face on darker scenes. I may try some grey screens to help the black floor. I have a sample of the Severston TAT-4K that helps the black levels quite a bit at the expense of the brighter image, so it’s a double edged sword. We’ll see...

Sharpness and detail are fantastic! No complaints there. It’s definitely a nice upgrade over the JVC in that regard.

Colors pop and have good saturation. It defaults to Rec2020 in hdr mode, but there is a dci-p3 mode as well. Not sure which is the one to use.

Another observation is that it locks you into hdr mode when inputting hdr material. You can’t change it to cinema or any other setting. So I haven’t been able to try any harpervision settings. I guess I’d need an hdfury linker?

As I mentioned before the fan is pretty loud in normal and ecosmart. Speaking of ecosmart I haven’t seen it really doing anything. In complete fades to blacks it’s still a grey screen. I would think if laser dimming was happening it could be near black in those instances. I did notice some pumping when setting brightness using a pattern, so I’m not sure what’s going on.

Overall I’m impressed so far, except for those blacks. I’ll be honest I do miss those JVC blacks. I haven’t fiddled much with any settings and I feel it can only get better. I’ll know more this Friday when an RS2000 is coming over for a direct comparison.
Dangit. Why can't we have it all? Bright as the sun brights and super black blacks. I'm leaning towards this projector because I love a bright, punchy image, but I would also love to have really good blacks. If you have to dial down the Benq's brightness in order to get decent blacks, though, that kinda defeats the purpose of having all that firepower, doesn't it? Anyway, I'm really looking forward to your comparison.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
blastermaster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 805 Old 03-12-2019, 08:19 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Everyone whose tried the ht9060 seems to be raving about the benq HDR pro processing as much better than typical projector HDR processing. Do you think your tweaks are still needed on the lk990? May be the case as BenQ might have different goals with the HDR processing due to the target market of each (ie lots of ambient light vs little ambient light).

Who knows, I don’t have one and I don’t want to speculate.

I’m not debating anyone anymore who hasn’t seen one extensively. Too many preconceived notions here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
Dangit. Why can't we have it all? Bright as the sun brights and super black blacks. I'm leaning towards this projector because I love a bright, punchy image, but I would also love to have really good blacks. If you have to dial down the Benq's brightness in order to get decent blacks, though, that kinda defeats the purpose of having all that firepower, doesn't it? Anyway, I'm really looking forward to your comparison.

It’s not what you think. The blacks in the actual image are quite good, at least on my LK970. You really need to get rid of the letterbox bars, out of your sight to evaluate what’s in the image alone. They aren’t JVC blacks, so don’t expect that but overall it’s the best image I’ve had.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #93 of 805 Old 03-12-2019, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blastermaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sunny Okanagan
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post


It’s not what you think. The blacks in the actual image are quite good, at least on my LK970. You really need to get rid of the letterbox bars, out of your sight to evaluate what’s in the image alone. They aren’t JVC blacks, so don’t expect that but overall it’s the best image I’ve had.
I'm sure it's going to be vastly better than what I have, which I find to be acceptable and throws a really sharp image. I have a scope screen and lens, so letterbox bars aren't a problem. I haven't made any masking yet for the pillarboxes, though.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
blastermaster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 805 Old 03-12-2019, 09:08 PM
Senior Member
 
SaulP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Who knows,
You really need to get rid of the letterbox bars, out of your sight to evaluate what’s in the image alone. They aren’t JVC blacks, so don’t expect that but overall it’s the best image I’ve had.
That’s why am going with the Panamorph and 2.4:1 screen. No bars!
blastermaster likes this.
SaulP is online now  
post #95 of 805 Old 03-18-2019, 10:54 AM
Newbie
 
DJRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My previous posts were mainly about 4k and 4k HDR material. Since my last visit here, I have been focusing more on 1080P and 1080i up scaling. The LK990 automatically takes care of up scaling, but HD sources can differ greatly in quality. I have found though, that when my eyes request a smidge of adjustment here or there to dial in HD content, this projector does a marvelous job of up scaling as well. Images are super sharp and colors pop just like the 4k stuff. You would swear that a lot of it is actually 4k content. Even with HD up scaling, I have to physically take my eyes closer than 12 inches from the wall I project the picture on to even begin to see a faint resemblance of an individual pixel. With other less techy projectors, you can see individual pixels from 4 feet away without even having to look that hard.

To get around the issue of "auto HDR" and no way to disable it, I simply use a different media player on PC and that takes care of it. Content looks fantastic using HDR or no.

This projector may not be the absolute holy grail of all desired features but I can still say that I cant imagine the cost of a $25k or $50k projector providing that much more monies worth of picture than this thing kicks out. I'm pretty picky with most things and if this LK990 would not have produced, I would have sent it back in a heartbeat if it didnt please me. If this projector is what you're looking for and fits your budget, just buy it I say.

DJ
DJRC is offline  
post #96 of 805 Old 03-18-2019, 12:12 PM
Senior Member
 
MMC57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRC View Post
My previous posts were mainly about 4k and 4k HDR material. Since my last visit here, I have been focusing more on 1080P and 1080i up scaling. The LK990 automatically takes care of up scaling, but HD sources can differ greatly in quality. I have found though, that when my eyes request a smidge of adjustment here or there to dial in HD content, this projector does a marvelous job of up scaling as well. Images are super sharp and colors pop just like the 4k stuff. You would swear that a lot of it is actually 4k content. Even with HD up scaling, I have to physically take my eyes closer than 12 inches from the wall I project the picture on to even begin to see a faint resemblance of an individual pixel. With other less techy projectors, you can see individual pixels from 4 feet away without even having to look that hard.

To get around the issue of "auto HDR" and no way to disable it, I simply use a different media player on PC and that takes care of it. Content looks fantastic using HDR or no.

This projector may not be the absolute holy grail of all desired features but I can still say that I cant imagine the cost of a $25k or $50k projector providing that much more monies worth of picture than this thing kicks out. I'm pretty picky with most things and if this LK990 would not have produced, I would have sent it back in a heartbeat if it didnt please me. If this projector is what you're looking for and fits your budget, just buy it I say.

DJ
You mentioned that you have been focusing on 1080P and 1080i up scaling.

How well does this projector handle 720P and 1080i input resolutions that you would get from either cable or satellite found from networks sports such as ABC,NBC,CBS, and FOX?

Also why is the "auto HDR" an issue? Can you not adjust any of the settings once the projector enters HDR mode?

Seems logical for a projector to enter HDR mode if it receives content that has HDR... however it does not make sense that you can not adjust the settings within the HDR mode.

I do agree you should be able to turn the Auto HDR mode on or off as well.
MMC57 is offline  
post #97 of 805 Old 03-18-2019, 02:15 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC57 View Post
You mentioned that you have been focusing on 1080P and 1080i up scaling.



How well does this projector handle 720P and 1080i input resolutions that you would get from either cable or satellite found from networks sports such as ABC,NBC,CBS, and FOX?



Also why is the "auto HDR" an issue? Can you not adjust any of the settings once the projector enters HDR mode?



Seems logical for a projector to enter HDR mode if it receives content that has HDR... however it does not make sense that you can not adjust the settings within the HDR mode.



I do agree you should be able to turn the Auto HDR mode on or off as well.

I believe you can adjust settings in HDR mode, you just can’t change picture modes, they are greyed out. This could be good to do a trick that I discovered awhile ago that I called “HarperVision” wherein you send full HDR but then manually defeat the display’s stock HDR settings and force it into an SDR mode and tweak from there with settings, gamma, CMS, greyscale, etc. to make it look even better than stock modes. This was the basis for the famed German Gamma Curves for the Sony SXRDs.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #98 of 805 Old 03-18-2019, 04:42 PM
Senior Member
 
MMC57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I believe you can adjust settings in HDR mode, you just can’t change picture modes, they are greyed out. This could be good to do a trick that I discovered awhile ago that I called “HarperVision” wherein you send full HDR but then manually defeat the display’s stock HDR settings and force it into an SDR mode and tweak from there with settings, gamma, CMS, greyscale, etc. to make it look even better than stock modes. This was the basis for the famed German Gamma Curves for the Sony SXRDs.
So if I understand you correctly if I was watching SDR content with input source of cable/satellite/Blu-Ray I could have one calibrated picture mode for that.

THEN if I was watching HDR content say from UHD BluRay or Netflix then it would default to "auto HDR" BUT I could still have the "auto HDR" picture mode calibrated for these types of input sources which may also have HDR.

If that is the case then it is not all bad as I would just switch between the two calibrated picture modes and leave it at that.

Also manual lens shift and manual zoom do not bother me either as once they are set for my 16 x 9 screen I will not touch them.
MMC57 is offline  
post #99 of 805 Old 03-18-2019, 05:13 PM
Newbie
 
DJRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC57 View Post
You mentioned that you have been focusing on 1080P and 1080i up scaling.

How well does this projector handle 720P and 1080i input resolutions that you would get from either cable or satellite found from networks sports such as ABC,NBC,CBS, and FOX?

Also why is the "auto HDR" an issue? Can you not adjust any of the settings once the projector enters HDR mode?

Seems logical for a projector to enter HDR mode if it receives content that has HDR... however it does not make sense that you can not adjust the settings within the HDR mode.

I do agree you should be able to turn the Auto HDR mode on or off as well.
Yes, I have satellite and the content from it is what I've been playing with and what I was commenting on in my last post. It does a great job with anything that isnt SD. Nothing can help SD lol.

On the "auto HDR" subject, I stated previously that not all HDR content is what I consider good quality. Some HDR stuff is just plain garbage in my books and is why I would want the ability to disable "auto HDR" simply because it looks like crap and theres only so much adjustment for HDR mode. Most of my 4k stuff is on PC so I use MPC-BE for HDR stuff as it has natural support, and then I use MPC-HC if I dont want HDR. No biggie that way.

DJ
DJRC is offline  
post #100 of 805 Old 03-18-2019, 05:15 PM
Newbie
 
DJRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC57 View Post
So if I understand you correctly if I was watching SDR content with input source of cable/satellite/Blu-Ray I could have one calibrated picture mode for that.

THEN if I was watching HDR content say from UHD BluRay or Netflix then it would default to "auto HDR" BUT I could still have the "auto HDR" picture mode calibrated for these types of input sources which may also have HDR.

If that is the case then it is not all bad as I would just switch between the two calibrated picture modes and leave it at that.

Also manual lens shift and manual zoom do not bother me either as once they are set for my 16 x 9 screen I will not touch them.

Yes, you are correct.

DJ
DJRC is offline  
post #101 of 805 Old 03-20-2019, 09:54 AM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC57 View Post
So if I understand you correctly if I was watching SDR content with input source of cable/satellite/Blu-Ray I could have one calibrated picture mode for that.



THEN if I was watching HDR content say from UHD BluRay or Netflix then it would default to "auto HDR" BUT I could still have the "auto HDR" picture mode calibrated for these types of input sources which may also have HDR.



If that is the case then it is not all bad as I would just switch between the two calibrated picture modes and leave it at that.



Also manual lens shift and manual zoom do not bother me either as once they are set for my 16 x 9 screen I will not touch them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRC View Post
Yes, you are correct.



DJ
Ditto
Dave Harper is offline  
post #102 of 805 Old 03-20-2019, 10:16 AM
Senior Member
 
MMC57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Ditto
Hi Guys...

Just a follow up question and how the LK990 handles the various formats of HDR that are out there.

There seems to be five HDR formats that I have seen

HDR10

HDR 10+

Dolby Vision

HLG

Advanced HDR by Technicolor

How would the LK990 handle these various formats? For that matter how would any projector handle these various formats.

Sorry for all the questions but just seems like one thing leads to another..... was much simpler when I bought my first TV in 1975.... 26 inch Zenith!
MMC57 is offline  
post #103 of 805 Old 03-20-2019, 11:59 AM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC57 View Post


Hi Guys...



Just a follow up question and how the LK990 handles the various formats of HDR that are out there.



There seems to be five HDR formats that I have seen



HDR10



HDR 10+



Dolby Vision



HLG



Advanced HDR by Technicolor



How would the LK990 handle these various formats? For that matter how would any projector handle these various formats.



Sorry for all the questions but just seems like one thing leads to another..... was much simpler when I bought my first TV in 1975.... 26 inch Zenith!

I would say it will support HDR10 and HLG. The DV and HDR10+ aren’t going to happen anytime soon if ever on consumer projectors due to them needing to know peak white for their dynamic tone mapping to work. Projectors would need a light sensor in front or something to give feedback for this to happen.
Archibald1 likes this.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #104 of 805 Old 03-20-2019, 06:32 PM
Newbie
 
DJRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hope its ok to do this, here's a link to the LK990 owners manual that might be helpful with answering questions.

https://benqesupport.blob.core.windo...0118172525.pdf



DJ
Dave Harper likes this.
DJRC is offline  
post #105 of 805 Old 03-20-2019, 11:14 PM
Senior Member
 
MMC57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRC View Post
Hope its ok to do this, here's a link to the LK990 owners manual that might be helpful with answering questions.

https://benqesupport.blob.core.windo...0118172525.pdf



DJ
I have downloaded the manual before but I could not find where it specified which HDR formats the LK990 supports.
MMC57 is offline  
post #106 of 805 Old 03-21-2019, 08:50 AM
Newbie
 
DJRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC57 View Post
I have downloaded the manual before but I could not find where it specified which HDR formats the LK990 supports.
It indeed supports HDR10 for sure. I think Dave pretty well summed it up for this question. If a person is looking to do the advanced HDR formats, its probably not ever going to happen with a projected image. Not in our lifetime anyway. And besides, you know how it goes, everything we have today is already obsolete. HDR will probably be replaced with something bigger and better within a couple of years.

It all kind of boils down to this:

If you want a nice sharp colorful BIG image, a projector comparable to this one is about the only logical choice unless you want to pay $100k for a "wall".

If you prefer all the latest HDR formats and you're willing to give up the 150", then perhaps a smaller Oled would be the better way to go.

For me personally, I'm NOT willing to give up the nice BIG picture but plenty willing to put up with a "little bit short of perfect". There's nothing on this planet that I would spend $25k, $50k, or $100k on to watch in my living room or anywhere else for that matter. There comes a time where you just have to draw a line and be happy. Right now I'm happy and most likely will be for a good long time to come. Oh, and most importantly than anything else, the wifey is too.

DJ
DJRC is offline  
post #107 of 805 Old 04-04-2019, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Desert Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Not sure why this thread died out. I plan on ordering an LK990 tomorrow. My post on a different thread:

Question about this projector for our situation. I am currently using a BenQ W7500 (lol, it just died last night) that I purchased in early 2015. I've owned 2 previous BenQ projectors so I am happy with the BenQ picture. We use the projector in our living (great) room. Projector is wall mounted and sits 26 feet back from the screen (no choice for this location). I also use a DaLite HP 1.3 gain screen measuring 78 x 139. Yes, it's a huge screen but we love it. We sit about 15 feet back from the screen. We can make the room totally dark but honestly there is generally some light. Sunlight washes out the screen. Over the past few years, we've enjoyed the light power and picture quality of the 7500.

I use a home theater computer (I built it with quality components) exclusively for content. Software is J.River Media Center (which incorporates MadVR). Blu Ray movies copied to my hard drive or Netflix/Amazon Prime streaming.

This seems like the correct projector upgrade for me. Thoughts?


Looks like banding issues have cropped up. But, I am likely to order this unit anyway and deal with manufacturing defects if I have any.

Marcus
Desert Pilot is offline  
post #108 of 805 Old 04-05-2019, 03:09 AM
Member
 
MCU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Bratwurstgürtel
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pilot View Post
Not sure why this thread died out. I plan on ordering an LK990 tomorrow. My post on a different thread:

Question about this projector for our situation. I am currently using a BenQ W7500 (lol, it just died last night) that I purchased in early 2015. I've owned 2 previous BenQ projectors so I am happy with the BenQ picture. We use the projector in our living (great) room. Projector is wall mounted and sits 26 feet back from the screen (no choice for this location). I also use a DaLite HP 1.3 gain screen measuring 78 x 139. Yes, it's a huge screen but we love it. We sit about 15 feet back from the screen. We can make the room totally dark but honestly there is generally some light. Sunlight washes out the screen. Over the past few years, we've enjoyed the light power and picture quality of the 7500.

I use a home theater computer (I built it with quality components) exclusively for content. Software is J.River Media Center (which incorporates MadVR). Blu Ray movies copied to my hard drive or Netflix/Amazon Prime streaming.

This seems like the correct projector upgrade for me. Thoughts?


Looks like banding issues have cropped up. But, I am likely to order this unit anyway and deal with manufacturing defects if I have any.

Marcus
Seems the Lk990 Owners are aware off shipping their unit back. So they do not post in the LK990 owners thread.
Just kidding.
As my unit is bad (banding and not able to show skin tones without pollution) I was also thinking would I buy the LK990 after reading all this?
My answer would be Yes!
There is for me (at the moment) no other pj that would match.
On the other hand I bought it already and now BenQ has to fix the defect. I think they can try this up to 3 times, after that i can step back from the deal.
But I hope that will be not necessary...

So in my opinion you are kind of bold, if you are ordering before you know how my and the other cases turn out to be.
MCU2 is offline  
post #109 of 805 Old 04-05-2019, 04:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCU2 View Post
Seems the Lk990 Owners are aware off shipping their unit back. So they do not post in the LK990 owners thread.

Just kidding.

As my unit is bad (banding and not able to show skin tones without pollution) I was also thinking would I buy the LK990 after reading all this?

My answer would be Yes!

There is for me (at the moment) no other pj that would match.

On the other hand I bought it already and now BenQ has to fix the defect. I think they can try this up to 3 times, after that i can step back from the deal.

But I hope that will be not necessary...



So in my opinion you are kind of bold, if you are ordering before you know how my and the other cases turn out to be.


Wow bro you have good in guts but since you stay at states maybe easy for you , its not like me in here honestly i cant accept the rainbow effect to my eyes even the picture trully sharp but honestly actually if not have unusual colour wheel maybe i will try to keep this unit and try to deal with it even have rgb effect , because if need return back the unit its will cost me a lot


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tukul28 is offline  
post #110 of 805 Old 04-05-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,562
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11825 Post(s)
Liked: 9357
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukul28 View Post
Wow bro you have good in guts but since you stay at states maybe easy for you , its not like me in here honestly i cant accept the rainbow effect to my eyes even the picture trully sharp but honestly actually if not have unusual colour wheel maybe i will try to keep this unit and try to deal with it even have rgb effect , because if need return back the unit its will cost me a lot


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Banding is one thing. It should be able to be corrected or replaced, but RBE is not fixable, so your situation is different.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #111 of 805 Old 04-15-2019, 11:47 PM
Member
 
MCU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Bratwurstgürtel
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I received my exchange Lk990 and would like to tell that everything is fine now.
The unit performs outstanding.
The gray ramp which I tested second after I had opended the Mozilla browser to check the overall purity did not show any "cyan" or any other flaw.
Also this unit is sharper with text and out of the box the colors look fantastic!
The projector was also manufactured in November 2018 which means there is no whole bad batch. Firmware also 1.0.
I did not have very much time with it, but I was extremely surprised with the logo of Planet Earth II did not show any banding - again flawless!!!
The worst problem the ugly cyan "varicose weins" with skin tones is also gone and it is now a real pleasure to see what the Lk990 engraves on the screen!


For me according to my 16:9 / 135" screen and my faible for 3D this PJ is the best choice right now.

And as I said earlier I would not recommend any projector to anyone because it always depends on so many parameters.
So I am writing here in the owners thread to make clear I will not do any advertise, just inform and share!

One "weird" thing I did notice is I think the lens of my new LK990 is dirty. I can not see it if it is powered off.
With light output it looks very dirty.
I does not affect the picture quality as I said the unit is even sharper than my first LK990.

Anyone have a clue?
As long as the picture looks so good I do not want to touch the lens, on the other side the "cleaning woman" in me wants to get rid of the dirt?

Here are 2 picutres of the lens on and off.
And one that shows the nice picture of the LK990!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	benq_Lk990_lens_on.png
Views:	111
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	2553620   Click image for larger version

Name:	benq_Lk990_lens_off.png
Views:	114
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	2553622   Click image for larger version

Name:	benq_Lk990_jp.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	2553624  

Last edited by MCU2; 04-16-2019 at 12:43 AM.
MCU2 is offline  
post #112 of 805 Old 04-16-2019, 12:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,515
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4649 Post(s)
Liked: 2945
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCU2 View Post
I received my exchange Lk990 and would like to tell that everything is fine now.
The unit performs outstanding.
The gray ramp which I tested second after I had opended the Mozilla browser to check the overall purity did not show any "cyan" or any other flaw.
Also this unit is sharper with text and out of the box the colors look fantastic!
The projector was also manufactured in November 2018 which means there is no whole bad batch. Firmware also 1.0.
I did not have very much time with it, but I was extremely surprised with the logo of Planet Earth II did not show any banding - again flawless!!!
The worst problem the ugly cyan "varicose weins" with skin tones is also gone and it is now a real pleasure to see what the Lk990 engraves on the screen!


For me according to my 16:9 / 135" screen and my faible for 3D this PJ is the best choice right now.

And as I said earlier I would not recommend any projector to anyone because it always depends on so many parameters.
So I am writing here in the owners thread to make clear I will not do any advertise, just inform and share!

One "weird" thing I did notice is I think the lens of my new LK990 is dirty. I can not see it if it is powered off.
With light output it looks very dirty.
I does not affect the picture quality as I said the unit is even sharper than my first LK990.

Anyone have a clue?
As long as the picture looks so good I do not want to touch the lens, on the other side the "cleaning woman" in me wants to get rid of the dirt?

Here are 2 picutres of the lens on and off.
And one that shows the nice picture of the LK990!
My RS4500 lens came looking like that. I took a dry cloth made for cleaning eye glasses and gently wiped it clean. I didnt' notice a change in picture from it but I felt better and it looks cleaner now. You could go to a glasses shop (americas best or whatever is local) and grab one of these cloths.
MCU2 likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is online now  
post #113 of 805 Old 04-16-2019, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,807
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCU2 View Post
One "weird" thing I did notice is I think the lens of my new LK990 is dirty. I can not see it if it is powered off.
With light output it looks very dirty.
I does not affect the picture quality as I said the unit is even sharper than my first LK990.

Anyone have a clue?
As long as the picture looks so good I do not want to touch the lens, on the other side the "cleaning woman" in me wants to get rid of the dirt?

Here are 2 picutres of the lens on and off.
And one that shows the nice picture of the LK990!
If you can't see it powered off it won't affect the picture

You are more likely to scratch the lens cleaning it than get it completely clean.
MCU2 and Archibald1 like this.
Ruined is offline  
post #114 of 805 Old 04-16-2019, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,048
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
If you can't see it powered off it won't affect the picture

You are more likely to scratch the lens cleaning it than get it completely clean.

Yeah, be super careful. Avoid touching the lens if at all possible.

As above, if you can't spot anything on the glass with no light shining through, it shouldn't be an issue.

The only thing I would ever touch my lens with is a cloth specifically for wiping lenses with. I have one for my camera lenses.

In my experience, avoid micro fibre cloths as they can leave micro scratches!
MCU2 likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
Archibald1 is offline  
post #115 of 805 Old 04-16-2019, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
Desert Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCU2 View Post
I received my exchange Lk990 and would like to tell that everything is fine now.
This is great news! My LK990 is supposed to ship to me today. I hope to have it by Friday. If I'm lucky, it will be a good one.

Marcus
MCU2 likes this.
Desert Pilot is offline  
post #116 of 805 Old 04-16-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,807
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
YeahThe only thing I would ever touch my lens with is a cloth specifically for wiping lenses with. I have one for my camera lenses.

In my experience, avoid micro fibre cloths as they can leave micro scratches!
I've actually found the LensPen (classic design) typically sold in camera shops to be the least abrasive of all cleaning methods that involve touching the lens.
Archibald1 likes this.
Ruined is offline  
post #117 of 805 Old 04-16-2019, 08:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Maestrosc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Riverside SoCal
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCU2 View Post
I received my exchange Lk990 and would like to tell that everything is fine now.
The unit performs outstanding.
The gray ramp which I tested second after I had opended the Mozilla browser to check the overall purity did not show any "cyan" or any other flaw.
Also this unit is sharper with text and out of the box the colors look fantastic!
The projector was also manufactured in November 2018 which means there is no whole bad batch. Firmware also 1.0.
I did not have very much time with it, but I was extremely surprised with the logo of Planet Earth II did not show any banding - again flawless!!!
The worst problem the ugly cyan "varicose weins" with skin tones is also gone and it is now a real pleasure to see what the Lk990 engraves on the screen!


For me according to my 16:9 / 135" screen and my faible for 3D this PJ is the best choice right now.

And as I said earlier I would not recommend any projector to anyone because it always depends on so many parameters.
So I am writing here in the owners thread to make clear I will not do any advertise, just inform and share!

One "weird" thing I did notice is I think the lens of my new LK990 is dirty. I can not see it if it is powered off.
With light output it looks very dirty.
I does not affect the picture quality as I said the unit is even sharper than my first LK990.

Anyone have a clue?
As long as the picture looks so good I do not want to touch the lens, on the other side the "cleaning woman" in me wants to get rid of the dirt?

Here are 2 picutres of the lens on and off.
And one that shows the nice picture of the LK990!
Great to hear!

Thanks for the review.

Will be ordering in the next couple weeks, so it feels great to hear your replacement projector does not have any of the same issues!

Also, if it doesnt affect the picture, I wouldnt mess with it, I mean youll be too busy looking at the screen to look at the lens once you are all setup!
MCU2 likes this.
Maestrosc is offline  
post #118 of 805 Old 04-16-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,562
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11825 Post(s)
Liked: 9357
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Yeah, be super careful. Avoid touching the lens if at all possible.

As above, if you can't spot anything on the glass with no light shining through, it shouldn't be an issue.

The only thing I would ever touch my lens with is a cloth specifically for wiping lenses with. I have one for my camera lenses.

In my experience, avoid micro fibre cloths as they can leave micro scratches!
Also never clean a hot lens. You want it cold. But the best advice is, don't touch it, if you do not see a problem on screen.
Archibald1 likes this.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #119 of 805 Old 04-16-2019, 01:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCU2 View Post
I received my exchange Lk990 and would like to tell that everything is fine now.
The unit performs outstanding.
The gray ramp which I tested second after I had opended the Mozilla browser to check the overall purity did not show any "cyan" or any other flaw.
Also this unit is sharper with text and out of the box the colors look fantastic!
The projector was also manufactured in November 2018 which means there is no whole bad batch. Firmware also 1.0.
I did not have very much time with it, but I was extremely surprised with the logo of Planet Earth II did not show any banding - again flawless!!!
The worst problem the ugly cyan "varicose weins" with skin tones is also gone and it is now a real pleasure to see what the Lk990 engraves on the screen!


For me according to my 16:9 / 135" screen and my faible for 3D this PJ is the best choice right now.

And as I said earlier I would not recommend any projector to anyone because it always depends on so many parameters.
So I am writing here in the owners thread to make clear I will not do any advertise, just inform and share!

One "weird" thing I did notice is I think the lens of my new LK990 is dirty. I can not see it if it is powered off.
With light output it looks very dirty.
I does not affect the picture quality as I said the unit is even sharper than my first LK990.

Anyone have a clue?
As long as the picture looks so good I do not want to touch the lens, on the other side the "cleaning woman" in me wants to get rid of the dirt?

Here are 2 picutres of the lens on and off.
And one that shows the nice picture of the LK990!
Congratulations! May I know what settings you are using now? Are you using the stock HDR mode? How do you like the dark scene performance?
Jue Liang is offline  
post #120 of 805 Old 04-16-2019, 03:08 PM
Member
 
MCU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Bratwurstgürtel
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue Liang View Post
Congratulations! May I know what settings you are using now? Are you using the stock HDR mode? How do you like the dark scene performance?

Since my first testing I did not have more time to play with the LK990.
So my settings are not final. However I use my HTPC with madvr Rec 709.
The BenQ is in User Mode. Light output Eco Mode (it is the most silent mode) and BC off. The other settings are not touched very much yet.

So I can not answer your questions right now, because I will need some time to figure out what will be my best settings.

Also the dark scene performance depends on the settings and I can not rate it at this point finally. I switched to Smart Eco once and did see an improvement with the blacks but I am not sure if I like this more than the Eco Mode.



But as I am not so keen to get the best blacks - I am more interested in seeing details - this known DLP weakness does not bother me so much.
And I am speaking of really dark scenes - none or little light in it.
Everything else is very good with the LK990!
Some photos attached (these pics are from my defective LK990)
With this low light scenes the unit works great.


All I can say until now is: My LK 990 performs well and without much tweaking the picture looks great for me. The nice thing is - I also know with some effort and time it will even get better and that is something that makes me happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B4186AD2-52CE-402E-84D9-070A825CF7DD.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	2554036   Click image for larger version

Name:	98FC751F-1AF1-43AE-9DC2-767A19B49036.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	2554038   Click image for larger version

Name:	9C1C5B9B-7957-405E-8422-D6CFF0588F25.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	2554040  
MCU2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off