JVC advice needed, DLA-X790R or DLA-NX5? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #1 of 123 Old 12-27-2018, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
JVC advice needed, DLA-X790R or DLA-NX5?

Hello All,
I need some advice on my next upgrade. My current FP is a DLA-RS1(having some dust issues) in a light controlled room. Screen is a 96" Carada though I am looking to upgrade that as well to a 106" or up to a max 120" possibly. Seating distance is 13'. is the upgrade worth the extra 2 Grand? Has anyone here seen both projectors. I would appreciate any input. One of my concerns is that I wont see the benefits of true 4k with a smaller screen.
Thanks,
Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 123 Old 12-27-2018, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11806 Post(s)
Liked: 9345
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswelter View Post
Hello All,
I need some advice on my next upgrade. My current FP is a DLA-RS1(having some dust issues) in a light controlled room. Screen is a 96" Carada though I am looking to upgrade that as well to a 106" or up to a max 120" possibly. Seating distance is 13'. is the upgrade worth the extra 2 Grand? Has anyone here seen both projectors. I would appreciate any input. One of my concerns is that I wont see the benefits of true 4k with a smaller screen.
Thanks,
Ron
Depends on what you want to base this on? 1080P or 4K, 106" or 120" screen, HDR by the projector or another device for HDR tone mapping.
post #3 of 123 Old 12-27-2018, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Depends on what you want to base this on? 1080P or 4K, 106" or 120" screen, HDR by the projector or another device for HDR tone mapping.
Hello Mike, thanks for the reply.
this is my first step into 4K. I am willing to do 4K if it is a noticeable improvement over fau-K. Again screen size may be the telling factor here. The room is 14" wide and have concerns about being overwhelmed by a 120" screen, but is not ruled out.
Also on the acquisition list is a Panasonic UB-820 for tone mapping dvd's. In inventory is a Roku 4K stick or a 4K Nvidia Shield for streaming. My old onkyo NR5009 is said to pass 4K, also a future upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 123 Old 12-27-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Hello Mike, thanks for the reply.
this is my first step into 4K. I am willing to do 4K if it is a noticeable improvement over fau-K. Again screen size may be the telling factor here. The room is 14" wide and have concerns about being overwhelmed by a 120" screen, but is not ruled out.
Also on the acquisition list is a Panasonic UB-820 for tone mapping dvd's. In inventory is a Roku 4K stick or a 4K Nvidia Shield for streaming. My old onkyo NR5009 is said to pass 4K, also a future upgrade.
120" from 13' would not be overwhelming for most people. The UB820 will work well for HDR, but Roku and Nvidia will not look that good on the E-shift, unless you make good custom curves. The RS1000/N5 will look good with HDR form those sources.
post #5 of 123 Old 12-27-2018, 05:59 PM

RS1000/NX5 advantages over RS540.

Native 4K
Higher ANSI
Auto tone mapping with brightness slider
No E-shift noise with 4K
Reduced sync time
Greatly improved lens memory (explained below)
Improved lens
Improved image processing
Beefed up lens supports, so less image drift and more accurate lens memory
Vertical stretch with 4K 60P sources
USB firmware updates

Lens Memory on the RS540/X790:

10 memories let you save:

Focus
Zoom
Shift

On the RS1000 those memory slots let you do the following:

Anamorphic Mode (A/B/C). Very useful with compression lenses which require zoom.

Installation Style: Not many situations for this, but I can think of a possible use.

Pixel Align: So you can have one pixel alignment for the 16x9 setting and a different if needed for the 2.35, or one for no anamorphic lens, and a different for with anamorphic lens

Screen Mode: Auto switch between two different screen materials. If using two screens and they are different material, this would be very useful.

Masking: Good for those changing aspect ratio movies.

Keystone: Not sure why you need to memorize this, when you should not even be using it.

Pincushion: Maybe you have a curved 2.35:1 screen and want Pincushion on with 2.35:1 lens memory, but you want it off with 16x9 lens memory. Another one, I think should never be used.

Aspect: Maybe you want 17:9 chip usage with 2.35:1 lens memory to get a little more brightness, but only 16x9 chip usage with 16x9 to have 1 for 1 mapping.

Also:

One of the memories can be selected to activate the 12V trigger: With a Motorized Sled for an Anamorphic Compression lens you could set a memory to zoom to screen width, engage Anamorphic mode, do the pixel adjust for that size, and then activate the 12V trigger to move the lens into place.
post #6 of 123 Old 12-27-2018, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Hello All,
Thanks,
Ron
I'm in a somewhat similar position, as I also have a DLA-RS1 and am looking to upgrade. The current pricing on last year's models is indeed enticing, but if you are like me and you don't change your projector out that often, I think it makes sense to get the latest model and I think it's worth the extra $. Plus, as Mike Garrett points out, the new units offer a lot of advantages, and it should last you a good long time with all the features.

Plus, if you're going to be making your screen larger, I think there is a good chance that you will be able to appreciate 4K at 13 feet. There is a chart around here somewhere that indicates the distances at which one can appreciate 4K for a given screen size. I'll see if I can find it and link to it. Now I guess you might not see the difference between eshifted 4k and true 4k, but then you don't have to deal with any potential noise from the eshift technology.

Of course, part of the issue is how important saving a couple of thousand dollars is to you, and only you can answer that. But when I was trying to decide between last year's models, the NX5, and the NX7, I broke down the cost to X dollars per movie, and it made it clear it was worth it to me to upgrade to the new models.

Also, another thing to consider is that reviews on the new models should be here shortly, as some folks on the forum should have the units soon. So I guess you can also see how good the new units are and then make a decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 7.45.46 PM.png
Views:	376
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	2501566  

Last edited by smitty; 12-27-2018 at 06:48 PM.
post #7 of 123 Old 01-22-2019, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
I'm in a somewhat similar position, as I also have a DLA-RS1 and am looking to upgrade. The current pricing on last year's models is indeed enticing, but if you are like me and you don't change your projector out that often, I think it makes sense to get the latest model and I think it's worth the extra $. Plus, as Mike Garrett points out, the new units offer a lot of advantages, and it should last you a good long time with all the features.

Plus, if you're going to be making your screen larger, I think there is a good chance that you will be able to appreciate 4K at 13 feet. There is a chart around here somewhere that indicates the distances at which one can appreciate 4K for a given screen size. I'll see if I can find it and link to it. Now I guess you might not see the difference between eshifted 4k and true 4k, but then you don't have to deal with any potential noise from the eshift technology.

Of course, part of the issue is how important saving a couple of thousand dollars is to you, and only you can answer that. But when I was trying to decide between last year's models, the NX5, and the NX7, I broke down the cost to X dollars per movie, and it made it clear it was worth it to me to upgrade to the new models.

Also, another thing to consider is that reviews on the new models should be here shortly, as some folks on the forum should have the units soon. So I guess you can also see how good the new units are and then make a decision.
thanks for the chart, do you have a ship date yet? I am still undecided though now NX5 or NX7.
post #8 of 123 Old 01-22-2019, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
RS1000/NX5 advantages over RS540.

Native 4K
Higher ANSI
Auto tone mapping with brightness slider
No E-shift noise with 4K
Reduced sync time
Greatly improved lens memory (explained below)
Improved lens
Improved image processing
Beefed up lens supports, so less image drift and more accurate lens memory
Vertical stretch with 4K 60P sources
USB firmware updates

Lens Memory on the RS540/X790:

10 memories let you save:

Focus
Zoom
Shift

On the RS1000 those memory slots let you do the following:

Anamorphic Mode (A/B/C). Very useful with compression lenses which require zoom.

Installation Style: Not many situations for this, but I can think of a possible use.

Pixel Align: So you can have one pixel alignment for the 16x9 setting and a different if needed for the 2.35, or one for no anamorphic lens, and a different for with anamorphic lens

Screen Mode: Auto switch between two different screen materials. If using two screens and they are different material, this would be very useful.

Masking: Good for those changing aspect ratio movies.

Keystone: Not sure why you need to memorize this, when you should not even be using it.

Pincushion: Maybe you have a curved 2.35:1 screen and want Pincushion on with 2.35:1 lens memory, but you want it off with 16x9 lens memory. Another one, I think should never be used.

Aspect: Maybe you want 17:9 chip usage with 2.35:1 lens memory to get a little more brightness, but only 16x9 chip usage with 16x9 to have 1 for 1 mapping.

Also:

One of the memories can be selected to activate the 12V trigger: With a Motorized Sled for an Anamorphic Compression lens you could set a memory to zoom to screen width, engage Anamorphic mode, do the pixel adjust for that size, and then activate the 12V trigger to move the lens into place.

Hello Mike,
in my room at 13' viewing distance from either a new 120" or 110" 16:9 screen and the projector above my head am i in a situation where I would have too many Ftl/lumens for SD? I heard a target of 50ftl for HDR. Not sure what the target is for SD and how to calculate that with the available lumens calculators. I wish it were as easy as Hi lamp mode for HDR and low lamp mode for SD, but I doubt that. I appreciate your input and have broadened my options to maybe a NX5 or a NX7.

I would like to get some input on screen choices, the room can be a bat cave, total light control. 99% movie watching.

thanks,
Ron
post #9 of 123 Old 01-22-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
thanks for the chart, do you have a ship date yet? I am still undecided though now NX5 or NX7.
I'm expecting that it will be shipped to me later this week or early next week. Also, I wonder if you have heard that JVC has a free bulb offer if you buy before March 31, 2019. That's a pretty good enticement, IMO.

BTW, one advantage of the NX7 over the NX5 is the ability to close down the iris more so that you can reduce brightness and increase contrast for SDR.

Also, you might want to pop in on the owner's thread and read the last 10 pages or so to see the impressions of folks who have started to receive the units. Everybody seems to be saying that these projectors throw a great image.
post #10 of 123 Old 01-22-2019, 09:29 PM
SG_

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
120" from 13' would not be overwhelming for most people. The UB820 will work well for HDR, but Roku and Nvidia will not look that good on the E-shift, unless you make good custom curves. The RS1000/N5 will look good with HDR form those sources.
What alternatives are there to the UB820 for tone mapping? I'm considering an x790R in the future and would be connecting it to a home theater PC. I've been researching various graphics cards that support 4k @ 60fps and HDR however I don't have any idea how tone mapping works. For this type of setup, what would you recommend? Would something like a GTX 1070 work?
post #11 of 123 Old 01-24-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG_ View Post
What alternatives are there to the UB820 for tone mapping? I'm considering an x790R in the future and would be connecting it to a home theater PC. I've been researching various graphics cards that support 4k @ 60fps and HDR however I don't have any idea how tone mapping works. For this type of setup, what would you recommend? Would something like a GTX 1070 work?
I'm actually looking to do the exact same thing. So I have the same question.
post #12 of 123 Old 02-28-2019, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
I'm actually looking to do the exact same thing. So I have the same question.
Having same idea (need to test my 1060 GTX with MadVR) got some info that it should work, so 1070 should work even better I guess.

Didnt decide to buy N5/N7, went with X790 instead due to several factors:

- excellent quality / price factor of X790
- X790 is well known reference PJ since some time already (all its disadvantages are also well known)
- N5/N7 are new constructions, new line, some potential problems for early adopters may appear, if thats the case, they will be addressed and fixed but this takes time
- no so many tests of N5/N7 available yet
- additional price factor at start for new models
- N5 will have worse contrast vs X790, so I was looking at N7 being on similar contrast level but its price is nearly double..

I am setting my radar on buying N7 in some time of course but for now I am super happy with my x790
Reddig likes this.

Video room: JVC X7900, Denon AVR-X4300H + PMA-1500AE; Oppo UDP-203, Adeo 113" Prestige LED, Apple TV4K;Harmony Elite + Alexa; PS4 Pro; Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Dali Z5,Z1, Phantom, Alteco, Sub E-12F; zone 2: LG OLED 65 C8, LG UP970, Xbox 1S.
Audio room: Pioneer SX-N30, PD-10, Jamo C97, Akai BT500 Net/PC: HP Omen 880-180nw, 28"UE570 UHD, QNAP 670 Pro i7, UPS CP900LCD, RT-AC87U merlin.

Last edited by MartyMcFlyy; 02-28-2019 at 03:21 AM.
post #13 of 123 Old 02-28-2019, 03:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4627 Post(s)
Liked: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG_ View Post
A GTX 1070 will enable you to HDR tone map and also 1080p upscale (I think this is even more important, madVR has the best upscaler I've ever seen). A GTX 2060 should be about the same in this regard. A 1060 is probably ok for HDR tone mapping but a bit weak for good upscaling.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #14 of 123 Old 02-28-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 186
The only reason I would get an N5 over the 790 is if I were either a gamer and wanted true 4k for that, or I wasn't in to tweaking at all and wanted a more plug and play projector for HDR. No doubt that the N5 will simplify the HDR setup. Although if you are like a lot of AVS members, you'll probably still end up with custom curves, MadVR, Panny 820, etc... in an attempt to get the best image possible.

Adding custom curves is not difficult unless you are just not technologically inclined. If you can connect a network cable to the projector from a router, determine the assigned network address for the projector, and install the JVC software on a PC on the network, you can do it. Mine looks great using the same curve all the time for all sources. UHD BD, Netflix, Amazon, etc... I use a Roku P+ and NVidia Shield.

The summarize the advantages of the 790,

- 2 iris system as has been mentioned to let you better tailor the light output for your screen and achieve much higher native contrast in SDR on smaller screens
- higher native contrast all the time
- color filter to hit full P3 color for UHD
- Quite a lot cheaper obviously

Maybe I'm biased because I own a 540 (790), but there's just no way I would take a big contrast hit and pay more money. Most of the N5 advantages are convenience, not performance related. The N5 is at best a side grade, maybe a downgrade depending on what matters most to you. Caveat once again being if you are in to gaming, then the N5 is the way to go.
Reddig and MartyMcFlyy like this.
post #15 of 123 Old 02-28-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 982
And if you shop around by phone you can find crazy cheap deals on the RS540/X790R. I wasn't going to be able to afford one but I found such a good deal on one I was able to.
dwmollett likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #16 of 123 Old 03-01-2019, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
And if you shop around by phone you can find crazy cheap deals on the RS540/X790R. I wasn't going to be able to afford one but I found such a good deal on one I was able to.
I'm in the market too and it looks like the X790R is readily available for under $4k. I can't PM yet but would you mind sharing where you ended up getting yours? Maybe I can call the same place!
Reddig likes this.
post #17 of 123 Old 03-01-2019, 10:03 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6390 Post(s)
Liked: 6389
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
The only reason I would get an N5 over the 790 is if I were either a gamer and wanted true 4k for that, or I wasn't in to tweaking at all and wanted a more plug and play projector for HDR. No doubt that the N5 will simplify the HDR setup. Although if you are like a lot of AVS members, you'll probably still end up with custom curves, MadVR, Panny 820, etc... in an attempt to get the best image possible.
If there is not a ton of 4K in your future there is no need for the NX5 that is for sure......
Reddig likes this.
post #18 of 123 Old 03-01-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmollett View Post
I'm in the market too and it looks like the X790R is readily available for under $4k. I can't PM yet but would you mind sharing where you ended up getting yours? Maybe I can call the same place!
I just sent some PMs out to others that had asked. You can hit me up on my email, [email protected] and Ill give his number.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest

Last edited by Reddig; 03-01-2019 at 11:54 AM.
post #19 of 123 Old 03-01-2019, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Could anyone please confirm what the JVC models were before the NX range? Specifically in relation to the NX-5 and NX-7. Probably impossible to get now I imagine ... thanks.
post #20 of 123 Old 03-01-2019, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindernat View Post
Could anyone please confirm what the JVC models were before the NX range? Specifically in relation to the NX-5 and NX-7. Probably impossible to get now I imagine ... thanks.
That's exactly what this thread is about lol.

Before the NX5/RS1000 and NX7/RS2000 they were the X590R/RS440 and X790R/RS540.

You can get last year's mid range model (X790R/RS540), the NX7/RS2000 predecessor for about $2000 less than the entry level NX5/RS1000.

It's a tremendous value. JVC discontinued the X590R/RS440 and the X990R/RS640, but kept the X790R/RS540 and dropped the street price from $6000 to $4000 to create a tier below the NX5/RS1000.

I'm currently struggling with this decision myself.

On 1 hand, I see the X790R as having higher contrast, higher P3 color coverage for UHD, a quieter fan in high bulb mode, and much cheaper price. And on the other hand I see the NX5 as having a somewhat more detailed native 4K and much better HDR tone-mapping.

However, I use madVR for my tone mapping so the HDR benefit is irrelevant for me, and I sit 13ft away from a 119" wide (136" diagonal 16:9) screen. And I still watch a ton of 1080p content. So the amount I gain from native 4K over e-Shift 5 is visible (however probably not substantial), but I don't think it outweighs the other benefits of the X790R and price difference personally, but I am still open for persuasion before I make my final decision.

Last edited by SirMaster; 03-01-2019 at 07:16 PM.
post #21 of 123 Old 03-01-2019, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
That's exactly what this thread is about lol.

Before the NX5/RS1000 and NX7/RS2000 they were the X590R/RS440 and X790R/RS540.

You can get last year's mid range model (X790R/RS540), the NX7/RS2000 predecessor for about $2000 less than the entry level NX5/RS1000.

It's a tremendous value. JVC discontinued the X590R/RS440 and the X990R/RS640, but kept the X790R/RS540 and dropped the street price from $6000 to $4000 to create a tier below the NX5/RS1000.

I'm currently struggling with this decision myself.

On 1 hand, I see the X790R as having higher contrast, higher P3 color coverage for UHD, a quieter fan in high bulb mode, and much cheaper price. And on the other hand I see the NX5 as having a somewhat more detailed native 4K and much better HDR tone-mapping.

However, I use madVR for my tone mapping so the HDR benefit is irrelevant for me, and I sit 13ft away from a 119" wide (136" diagonal 16:9) screen. And I still watch a ton of 1080p content. So the amount I gain form native 4K over e-Shift 5 is visible, but I don't think it outweighs the other benefits of the X790R and price difference personally, but I am still open for persuasion before I make my final decision.
Oh - lol. That would make sense!

Thank you. They seem pretty rare here in Australia (X790R) and where I did just look now has it for AU$8,800 (NX-7 is RRP AU$11,999 here, but can get it for less). It's probably still not a big enough saving for me as I probably wouldn't be keeping it too long. Thanks for the info though. As you say I'd prefer to go the NX-5 if money saving was the issue. I don't have any projector at the moment, have read about the Mad VR stuff but it seems a bit of a hassle, and I watch a lot of UHD discs so would prefer a dedicated player (most likely the Panasonic UB9000).
post #22 of 123 Old 03-02-2019, 05:59 PM

Liked: 14
It's funny how things happen... I began by looking at getting the X790R for $4k and ended up getting on the wait list for the RS3000! I'm new to this AV world but does it always happen like that??
post #23 of 123 Old 03-02-2019, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmollett View Post
It's funny how things happen... I began by looking at getting the X790R for $4k and ended up getting on the wait list for the RS3000! I'm new to this AV world but does it always happen like that??
Nice! Congrats and I hope your wait isn't too long.

post #24 of 123 Old 03-03-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Hello All,
Thanks,
Ron
If it were me I'd be trying to pick up a lightly used X990/RS640 as it has higher contrast than even JVCs newest $18K pj. Drawbacks are, as stated above, but not super relevant unless you sit super close to a huge screen and watch nothing but 4K blu-rays...I don't have the early adopter gene I guess but I'll let someone else deal with all of the growing pain's of JVCs first try at native 4K at substantial price increase less contrast from last year. By waiting you are also, inadvertently, giving HDR format war a chance to let the dust settle...or get worse, either way you'll be more informed in 2 years that you are now (and the RS540/640 are a phenomenal stop gap until then)
post #25 of 123 Old 03-05-2019, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 5
im so tired of waiting for my preorder NX7 that i am tempted to get a rs540. i sit 13.5ft from 135in diagonal screen.
post #26 of 123 Old 03-06-2019, 10:55 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6390 Post(s)
Liked: 6389
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtdfusion View Post
im so tired of waiting for my preorder NX7 that i am tempted to get a rs540. i sit 13.5ft from 135in diagonal screen.
It is a great unit, one of the best even today......
post #27 of 123 Old 03-06-2019, 03:31 PM

I was leaning X790R, then NX5, and currently I’m back to the X790R... I like its better contrast, lower price, higher light output, smaller size, etc. For a movie lover with 5,300 films at <=1080p and about 200 films at 2160p, I don’t think the NX5’s native 4K and other improvements actually matter. There is just very little content available in 4K that I enjoy and I don’t expect that to change anytime soon, physical media will probably die before then. It sounds like the X790R can still produce a nice HDR experience with some aftermarket software. I will only use the projector to watch movies, no gaming, no TV, etc. so take my opinion with a grain of salt if you have different priorities.

MSRP is one thing, but I’ve seen posts mentioning street prices are quite a bit lower on the X790R. Where are you guys shopping around? I’m finding it hard to price compare online and I’d rather not waste time driving to shops across the state and potentially waste a salesperson’s time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #28 of 123 Old 03-07-2019, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibbs View Post
I was leaning X790R, then NX5, and currently I’m back to the X790R... I like its better contrast, lower price, higher light output, smaller size, etc. For a movie lover with 5,300 films at <=1080p and about 200 films at 2160p, I don’t think the NX5’s native 4K and other improvements actually matter. There is just very little content available in 4K that I enjoy and I don’t expect that to change anytime soon, physical media will probably die before then. It sounds like the X790R can still produce a nice HDR experience with some aftermarket software. I will only use the projector to watch movies, no gaming, no TV, etc. so take my opinion with a grain of salt if you have different priorities.

MSRP is one thing, but I’ve seen posts mentioning street prices are quite a bit lower on the X790R. Where are you guys shopping around? I’m finding it hard to price compare online and I’d rather not waste time driving to shops across the state and potentially waste a salesperson’s time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A large percentage of those UHD titles aren't true 4k either. Maybe someday they will all be released as true 4k transfers, but hasn't happened yet.
post #29 of 123 Old 03-07-2019, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFlyy View Post
Having same idea (need to test my 1060 GTX with MadVR) got some info that it should work, so 1070 should work even better I guess.

Didnt decide to buy N5/N7, went with X790 instead due to several factors:

- excellent quality / price factor of X790
- X790 is well known reference PJ since some time already (all its disadvantages are also well known)
- N5/N7 are new constructions, new line, some potential problems for early adopters may appear, if thats the case, they will be addressed and fixed but this takes time
- no so many tests of N5/N7 available yet
- additional price factor at start for new models
- N5 will have worse contrast vs X790, so I was looking at N7 being on similar contrast level but its price is nearly double..

I am setting my radar on buying N7 in some time of course but for now I am super happy with my x790
I think you made the right choice. Your black levels are much better, you saved money, and you have an outstanding projector that will blow your RS1 away. I made the jump from a RS1 to a X9500 a couple of years ago, and I love it.

I'm interested in the SECOND version of these new projectors. I like to wait until all the kinks are worked out, which JVC does with all the early adopters. That's what I did last time.

Plus, I have concerns about these new machines. Black level quality is my favorite thing about JVC, and these new projectors apparently aren't up to snuff in that regard despite all the other advances. And if that's the case going forward, Sony is very much going to be up for consideration for me 12 months from now.

There is nothing more distracting to me than gray blacks. I'm a 16:9 screen guy, and I want to see the industry make those black bars and space shots darker, not lighter.
MartyMcFlyy likes this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #30 of 123 Old 03-07-2019, 07:12 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked: 1618
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibbs View Post

Compared to the cost/performance of the NX5, the 790r is da Bomb.

Can't relate the lowest cost you can get one for...or where (Forum rules) but absolutely they are going out some doors significantly under what some online Vendors ask for them.

Take your time...get on a wait-list if necessary...but don't make over a $2k error.

BTW....if your not shooting an 16:9 / 2.39:1 image over 130" diagonal, HDR10 looks great...and 3D is terrific with the 790r.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page