Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 117 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17801Likes

post #3481 of 19460 Old 01-26-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwtech View Post
Could the Xpands have lost sync or have a set up issue? I have a pair of Xpands that required something I had to change to work with the JVC transmitter, but I can not remember what it was... And my matte screen lets me use any polarity of 3D glasses. I have only used Samsung glasses for years. They are the only light weight comfortable 3D glasses for me because I wear eyeglasses and they sort of sit on top of my frames.
No, it's almost certain that they've changed the way side by side 3D is being projected. I removed the 3D transmitter from the NX7 and put it back into the RS500. The X-pands worked (as before) with the RS500 and the Samsung glasses were now dim. I rotated the Samsungs 90 degrees and they were correctly aligned; I rotated the X-pands 90 degrees and they were now dim. I think that can only be explained with a change in polarity/polarization of the NX7. BTW, my Stewart Firehawk screen does retain partial polarization, which is the reason that I had to invest in the specific model of X-pands. Does anyone have a different explanation?

Last edited by docrog; 01-26-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 19460 Old 01-26-2019, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5420 Post(s)
Liked: 5784
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
No, it's almost certain that they've changed the way side by side 3D is being projected. I removed the 3D transmitter from the NX7 and put it back into the RS500. The X-pands worked (as before) with the RS500 and the Samsung glasses were now dim. I rotated the Samsungs 90 degrees and they were correctly aligned; I rotated the X-pands 90 degrees and they were now dim. I think that can only be explained with a change in polarity/polarization of the NX7. BTW, my Stewart Firehawk screen does retain partial polarization, which is the reason that I had to invest in the specific model of X-pands. Does anyone have a different explanation?
if you can, pick up a pair of the regular Xpand RF105's. If it's nice and bright on the Firehawk then it's likely the polarization shifted back to vertical with these 4K panels.

https://www.amazon.com/XPAND-X105-RF...dp/B00BFO4XSA/
Spizz likes this.
post #3483 of 19460 Old 01-26-2019, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6793
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
Fair enough! Us poor guys will have to wait longer for our entry level pjs
LOL, its not like that, welcome to the JVC club the NX5 is no slouch and it is not cheap either, kuddo's on being able to afford such a great machine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3484 of 19460 Old 01-26-2019, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
if you can, pick up a pair of the regular Xpand RF105's. If it's nice and bright on the Firehawk then it's likely the polarization shifted back to vertical with these 4K panels.
I found the Xpand bill of sale from 9/27/2016: X105-RF-X3. The potential upside is that there may now be a larger number of inexpensive active 3D RF glasses that will work with the new polarization.

Last edited by docrog; 01-26-2019 at 09:14 PM.
post #3485 of 19460 Old 01-26-2019, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
Yikes. Thanks for the feedback.
I hope that you've seen my later posts. There's nothing wrong with the 3D presentation of the NX7. It appears that the polarization has been rotated 90 degrees from the previous generation, making some RF glasses unusable for those whose screens retain any polarization (such as some Stewart Firehawk models). Others may have no issues at all, so 3D is good to go.
Spizz likes this.
post #3486 of 19460 Old 01-26-2019, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I remember my first projector.... Man what a machine you picked for your first, what size screen are you going to use? Viewing distance?

The decision to buy a N7 was a multi step convoluted one.
After seeing the Epson TW9300(UB5040), JVC X790 and entry level Sony 4k projectors in action I decided on the JVC X790.

Resolution wasn’t a major issue as the pixel shift in both Epson and JVC was comparable to the 4k Sony when viewing movies. (The Sony looked better on gaming)
Once I had permission to paint the walls grey and the ceiling black the JVC was the obvious choice.

I noticed the price drop in the X790 and was planning to buy it when the native 4K JVC projectors were announced. I was going for a projector with a powered screen and wall mounted >75" TV.

The plan was to get a Sony Z9F 75” TV so my wife can “turn on and watch” without having to worry about custom curves/tone mapping. The Z9F was a big disappointment and the auto tone mapping of the N5, N7 and NX9 made them a good option.

I was pleasantly surprised I got approval from the CFO when I floated the idea of a fixed screen and using the money saved from the screen towards a N7 rather than a N5.

Before she had a chance to think further; I painted the ceiling black and walls grey in a day! and pre ordered a N7.
I got it with an Elegance Screen Symphony 16:9 , 1.1 gain 120” screen and mount as a package.
The viewing distance is 5m. The mount isn’t fixed but the distance from the lens to the screen can be between 5.5 to 6.3m.

I wasn’t too picky on the screen as I wanted to keep my options open to either a TV or 2.35:1 screen in the future.

The wait is unbearable!!!
BruceJK likes this.
post #3487 of 19460 Old 01-26-2019, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5378 Post(s)
Liked: 3494
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastbeat View Post
Has anyone had any experience with 4k screen vs. a non-4k screen?

I'm eagerly anticipating my NX7 preorder. Last night the spring mechanism in my 120" elite screen snapped and scared me and my girlfriend to death. Holy hell that's loud! Now I'm faced with ordering a $35 spring part to fix the screen or upgrading to a 4k HDR screen.

I know it's subjective, but any opinions on whether the upgrade is worth it? Marginal improvement or night and day difference?

Any opinions welcome.
I'd get the $35 part. It's not a lot of money. You can always still upgrade your screen later and only be out $35. When you get your NX7, focus it and on a white screen stand in front of it as close as you can and look for the pixel grid. I think if you can see the pixel grid, you will have a 4K capable screen.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3488 of 19460 Old 01-26-2019, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
I don’t think you can use the SLB281 with the RPM mount.

From what I’ve read:

SLM281 goes with RPM mount.
SLB281 goes with RPA mount.
In this post I certainly didn't intend to say that you could use the SLB281 with the RPM mount. In fact, I was acknowledging my previous error and trying to correct it. If there was something that lead you to believe that I was saying that you could, please point it out so that I can further clarify things.
post #3489 of 19460 Old 01-26-2019, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeRF View Post
I shared these in the Paladin DCR thread as well but here's a few shots I took of Blade Runner 2049 running my RS3000 with the Paladin. An absolutely amazing combo!

https://imgur.com/a/EQXrA2R
Im curious: what settings did you use for everything? Were you playing via a Panasonic 820?
post #3490 of 19460 Old 01-26-2019, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
So I have not run through a complete setup, but I did watch Guardians2 and Deadpool2 on my new RS3000 the last two nights, and I am a happy customer. I think my family is "happy for me" and think it looks great (but it did on eshift before). I don't have the eyes of some on this forum, but I can say that it's an awesome picture and definitely better. I have not heard the DI. The fan noise seemed a bit loud when I put it on high lamp this evening, but I didn't notice it once during the movie (PJ is about 3.5 feet behind me). I look forward to some best practices tagged at the beginning of this thread as we all discover them together!
Spizz, Reddig, Dandlj and 1 others like this.
post #3491 of 19460 Old 01-26-2019, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
In this post I certainly didn't intend to say that you could use the SLB281 with the RPM mount. In fact, I was acknowledging my previous error and trying to correct it. If there was something that lead you to believe that I was saying that you could, please point it out so that I can further clarify things.

I think I made an assumption there. No worries.
post #3492 of 19460 Old 01-26-2019, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2262 Post(s)
Liked: 1539
Quote:
I hope that you've seen my later posts. There's nothing wrong with the 3D presentation of the NX7. It appears that the polarization has been rotated 90 degrees from the previous generation, making some RF glasses unusable for those whose screens retain any polarization (such as some Stewart Firehawk models). Others may have no issues at all, so 3D is good to go.
I've posted previously that I suspected they rotated the panels (or polarizers) on this generation due to vertical streaking now becoming horizontal. With the addition of this 3D polarization discovery, it pretty much confirms it. Wonder why they rotated them?
seanbryan and Reddig like this.
post #3493 of 19460 Old 01-27-2019, 01:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 198
My Thoughts...

Just had my JVC RS-2000/NX7 installed professionally.

I have not yet had it calibrated. So, these thoughts are on the picture just out of the box.

This is my first 4k projector. To date, I have had an exceptional Sony HW55ES 1080p projector, calibrated, that has shown exceptional picture quality.

To be quite honest, I really hemmed and hawed about upgrading to 4k. I was very, very satisfied with the PQ on the Sony. I mean, it's a great projector!

I spent this evening sampling a few titles. I started with INCEPTION and THE MATRIX in 4k. Those films are a little dark. The Matrix has a green teal purposely throughout most of its first act. I really thought both those titles would WOW me, but I think the fact that they are not well-lit films didn't give me a huge sense of improvement in picture quality.

Next, I went with BABY DRIVER, and there it was apparent how much better 4k was over the BD counterpart. The picture looked sharper. In fact, when I switched and compared scenes on the Blu-ray side, the picture definitely looked softer.

I am used to seeing 4k on my LG C8 OLED, and there the difference is just staggering. I mean, the picture looks night-and-day more stunning.

Projected, I don't see that kind of jump in PQ, but at the same time, I do see improved sharpness in the picture. I was kind of warned that I may or may not see a huge jump in projection 4k.

Black levels are not impressing me that much either. However, again, I am so used to seeing OLED 4k and I know it just won't match here.

3D looks fantastic on the JVC. Can't say it looks better than it did on my Sony HW55ES. I would rate it about the same -- and that's a good thing -- because I was always very happy with the picture output.

Amazingly, the JVC worked perfectly with these Samsung compatible 3D glasses.

However, based on recommendations, I switched over to the Hi-Shock glasses and they work equally as well.

My Logitech Elite Remote could not find the projector settings for the RS-2000 or NX7. However, it did find the codes for the NX9 and the projector is at least powering on and off with those commands. I have not gone any deeper into individual functions.

Of course, I need to get this projector calibrated. However, out of the box, I am very happy with the picture quality. I am a little disappointed that there isn't a substantial jump in PQ here, but I think that's the nature of the beast when dealing with projection. I mean, I see the difference. I appreciate the difference. I think in time I am going to become more in tune with the improved sharpness level and of course, the calibration will bring out more nuances in the picture.

Last edited by Ronald Epstein; 01-27-2019 at 01:53 AM.
post #3494 of 19460 Old 01-27-2019, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 101
[QUOTE=claw;57504406]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post

I have a CMA-101, 12 inch extension, RPA/SLB, and RS500 from a 9 foot ceiling. I only used two lag bolts into a strut.
I have the same mount with just two lug bolts bolted into a 2x4 installed by Magnolia. They assured me that it was safe for any projector out there. It was intended for JVC 590r before I decided to wait on JVC N5.

Anyone else used same mount with just two lugs with these new JVC projectors?
post #3495 of 19460 Old 01-27-2019, 02:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post
My Thoughts...
Black levels are not impressing me that much either. However, again, I am so used to seeing OLED 4k and I know it just won't match here.

My Logitech Elite Remote could not find the projector settings for the RS-2000 or NX7. However, it did find the codes for the NX9 and the projector is at least powering on and off with those commands. I have not gone any deeper into individual functions.
I understand that the auto iris is set to "off" by default on the new units. To really see JVC's black level performance go enable that and see what you think. (Menu, left most menu, click on your picture mode setting. Change "manual" to either "auto1" or "auto2". Go play something that has blacks like "the expanse" intro or Interstellar BluRay not UHD (53:30).

If you want something that's super impressive for sharpness to compare to your Sony, try this. It's the most impressive I've found far better than any UHD movie: http://hifiandtheater.com/files/yokohama-night-4k.mkv

For the remote codes, NX9 will be identical. I am still using my programming for my RS49u and its still current.
cargen, OzHDHT, Dj Dee and 2 others like this.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3496 of 19460 Old 01-27-2019, 02:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I understand that the auto iris is set to "off" by default on the new units. To really see JVC's black level performance go enable that and see what you think. (Menu, left most menu, click on your picture mode setting. Change "manual" to either "auto1" or "auto2". Go play something that has blacks like "the expanse" intro or Interstellar BluRay not UHD (53:30).

If you want something that's super impressive for sharpness to compare to your Sony, try this. It's the most impressive I've found far better than any UHD movie: http://hifiandtheater.com/files/yokohama-night-4k.mkv

For the remote codes, NX9 will be identical. I am still using my programming for my RS49u and its still current.
I will try that. Had no idea that such an important setting was turned "off" by default

Thanks
Spizz, alebonau and ARROW-AV like this.
post #3497 of 19460 Old 01-27-2019, 03:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Quote:
I will try that. Had no idea that such an important setting was turned "off" by default

Thanks
Ronald I know you are likely awaiting calibration of your unit as your previous was. but have you checked output on the jvc as yet ? chances are iris is wide open out of box ?. and probably needs cranking down

check picture mode > aperture (pg 46 in the manual i want to read up on it)

I'd use auto setting 2 as it enhances contrast. but before doing that. in manual mode I'd check what the iris is actually set on and it might need cranking down to get 12 -16 FL on screen for SDR and 30FL on screen for HDR. once thats done with a light meter I woudl then set it to auto 2
ARROW-AV likes this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #3498 of 19460 Old 01-27-2019, 03:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 197
That DI is a "little" important for those black levels
OzHDHT, alebonau and ARROW-AV like this.
post #3499 of 19460 Old 01-27-2019, 03:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks guys! Taking note of all this
alebonau likes this.
post #3500 of 19460 Old 01-27-2019, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I remember my first projector.... Man what a machine you picked for your first, what size screen are you going to use? Viewing distance?

I appears my earlier reply has inexplicably gone missing!!!
Maybe why I selected to purchase the N7 was deemed off topic.

I am getting an Elegance Symphony 120" 16:9 with a gain of 1.1
The viewing distance is 5m.
I haven't fixed the mount but the lens to screen can be between 5.5 to 6.5m depending on where I choose to install it.
Dandlj likes this.
post #3501 of 19460 Old 01-27-2019, 03:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I like leaving the iris aperture on 0 (low lamp) and letting the auto iris just dim as needed. The result is a brighter picture but the same level of black performance due to the dynamic iris as if you dim the aperture first.
@Ronald Epstein what alebonau is suggesting is that you go to the menu, picture mode, click on it, set iris to manual, then lower the aperture using a meter to get the 12-16 fl on the screen, then set to auto2. I am suggesting to just leave the aperture alone and set directly to auto2. Of course you should try what you think looks best, but I think the brighter image with iris on dynamic mode2 will give you much closer performance to your OLED you're use to. The 12-16 fl gives you performance closer to what you might be use to in a movie theater.
claw and ARROW-AV like this.

post #3502 of 19460 Old 01-27-2019, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Ronald- Thanks for your impressions on your NX7. Hopefully the settings above improve things for you over your Sony 55ES. How do you find the motion compared to the Sony?
post #3503 of 19460 Old 01-27-2019, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Quoted: 4117 Post(s)
Liked: 6655
Quote:
Thanks guys! Taking note of all this
I recommend that you also via the MPC menu (press MPC button on your remote control) change both ENHANCE and SMOOTHING to 0 and turn eSHIFT 8K to OFF.

You will need to do this for all picture mode presets that you intend on using because the factory default in all instances is 5, 2, and ON respectively.

So be sure to switch to the HDR10 preset and make these changes there also

You will also need to decide whether or not you wish to take advantage of using the color filter that enhances color performance. Where the factory default is for the color filter to be OFF with respect to both SDR and HDR.

OzHDHT and Craig Peer like this.
post #3504 of 19460 Old 01-27-2019, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am making all these notes for my calibrator, Gregg Loewen, of LionAV.

I hope to have him here in the next few weeks and I will give him this list of your suggestions.

Thank you so much everyone!
alebonau likes this.
post #3505 of 19460 Old 01-27-2019, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:

I hope to have him here in the next few weeks and I will give him this list of your suggestions.

You are a lucky guy... Gregg Loewen is one of the best and in fact trains and certifies others professional video calibrators worldwide. Historically he ran the THX professional video calibration trainings and now the Professional Video Alliance

OzHDHT and Reddig like this.
post #3506 of 19460 Old 01-27-2019, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked: 4758
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
I recommend that you also via the MPC menu (press MPC button on your remote control) change both ENHANCE and SMOOTHING to 0 and turn eSHIFT 8K to OFF.

You will need to do this for all picture mode presets that you intend on using because the factory default in all instances is 5, 2, and ON respectively.

So be sure to switch to the HDR10 preset and make these changes there also

You will also need to decide whether or not you wish to take advantage of using the color filter that enhances color performance. Where the factory default is for the color filter to be OFF with respect to both SDR and HDR.

His is a RS2000 so no eSHIFT 8K to turn OFF, fortunately
ARROW-AV likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #3507 of 19460 Old 01-27-2019, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
You are a lucky guy... Gregg Loewen is one of the best and in fact trains and certifies others professional video calibrators worldwide. Historically he ran the THX professional video calibration trainings and now the Professional Video Alliance

Don't I know!

Have known Gregg forever. Have had him calibrate all my displays. He's absolutely incredible on top of being a great guy.
Reddig and ARROW-AV like this.
post #3508 of 19460 Old 01-27-2019, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

post #3509 of 19460 Old 01-27-2019, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

At least if you do nothing at all go and turn the dynamic iris to auto2. You don't need a calibrator for that, and in my opinion, it's the single biggest thing you can do to get better contrast. You already said the blacks weren't that impressive. This is why. One change should pretty well fix it.
mbw23air, BruceJK and ARROW-AV like this.

post #3510 of 19460 Old 01-27-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Quote:
I found the Xpand bill of sale from 9/27/2016: X105-RF-X3. The potential upside is that there may now be a larger number of inexpensive active 3D RF glasses that will work with the new polarization.
I've been following this 3D discussion with interest. At the moment, I can't think of anything else to explain what you're reporting, but out of curiosity, I just checked the manuals for the current NX series, as well as for my current RS400. For 3D, JVC is still recommending the same PG-AG3 glasses. If in fact they have reversed the polarization orientation with this newest generation, those glasses would be basically unusable with any screen that retained a significant amount of polarization (which you indicate yours does). And the "ideal" glasses for this series would have polarization 90 degrees away for the PK-AG3, and be a different model.

I've got several pairs of the XPAND X105-RF-X1 glasses that zombie10k referred to. I'll bring those with me next week when I head over there to check it out!

Curiouser and curiouser...
alebonau and bobof like this.

JVC NX7, DCR Lens, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000