Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 147 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18696Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4381 of 20523 Old 02-02-2019, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,503
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5463 Post(s)
Liked: 3570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post
UHD 24HZ?

Is that the correct output for the Oppo?

Thanks
I don't have an Oppo. You'll know if it works because as soon as you just switch to the oppo input, the projector should go through the sync and the info screen should show you at 24 hz.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4382 of 20523 Old 02-02-2019, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dlinsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,136
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
The RS500's trigger (which lowers my screen) was almost instantaneous after powering on the PJ. The NX7 takes almost 20 seconds to drop the screen from the powered trigger. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to shorten the trigger time? BTW, the screen goes up as soon as the NX7 begins to power down. Thanks!
Have your dealer report it to JVC - maybe they'll fix it. In the meantime, you can get 12V triggers that sense power use and so will start/stop on the projector powering. For example this one for Elite screens, though I've seen universal ones: https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens.../dp/B00BU3ZPRO
dlinsley is offline  
post #4383 of 20523 Old 02-02-2019, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
docrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Okatie, SC
Posts: 1,460
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
Have your dealer report it to JVC - maybe they'll fix it. In the meantime, you can get 12V triggers that sense power use and so will start/stop on the projector powering. For example this one for Elite screens, though I've seen universal ones: https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens.../dp/B00BU3ZPRO
Thanks for that suggestion, but it would be difficult to implement in my theater. Perhaps someone here like Kris Deering, who has more direct access to JVC technical support, may be able to inquire whether this prolonged time for activating the trigger is by choice or is possibly able to be brought more in line with the performance of prior projectors via firmware changes.
docrog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4384 of 20523 Old 02-02-2019, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Pultzar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Seattle, Wa, USA
Posts: 1,187
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Just watched The Lion King in Blu-Ray UHD 4K on the RS3000. Stunning!
Pultzar is offline  
post #4385 of 20523 Old 02-02-2019, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,904
Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12811 Post(s)
Liked: 10448
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
I think their are quite a few here who have a foot in both waters. We won’t give JVC a free pass but we realize they really can make a good projector. If you’ve been a long time JVC customer, one that’s owned at least 4 of their projectors, I’m going to guess you know where I’m coming from. I’ve had some great experiences and some pretty bad ones. Easiest way to say it is I hold high hopes for the new series but temper that with a expectation that some things will go wrong lol. Hopefully the less then perfect things can be fixed.
I would love to know what the issue was, but JVC is not going to tell us. We see delays in manufacturing all the time and I don't recall very many manufacturer's telling us what the issue was either. But to be honest, I don't know that we are owned this information. The old saying, you don't air your dirty laundry in public comes to my mind. What we are owned, is a good working projector.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #4386 of 20523 Old 02-02-2019, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,523
Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4139 Post(s)
Liked: 6695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
You can't assess color reproduction looking only at 100% sat, as @ArrowAV did on his charts. You also need to look at saturation tracking within the gamut, and especially for HDR, you have to look at color volume as well, not just gamut coverage at a single stim level.

A gamut undersaturated at 100% sat but tracking saturation perfectly within the gamut will look more accurate on most content than a gamut fully saturated at 100% sat but with poor saturation linearity within the gamut. This is true for both SDR and HDR.

Similarily, you really need to look at color volume, not just color gamut for HDR. Gamut gives you information at one luminance level. That's not enough to evaluate color performance overall. I see people showing charts at 100% or 75% stim and bragging that they don't need the filter. Have they looked at their color evolume, i.e. how wide the gamut is and how it tracks at all stimulus levels?

Frankly showing a gamut chart without showing saturations should be banned, especially when people mention using the CMS, which is known for making things worse rather than better if you use more than a few clicks on saturation.

So if you want to compare performance with/without the filter, beyond the brightness loss caused by the filter we need to see:

- How each user mode (with filter/without) tracks saturations below 100% sat (at 25%, 50% and 75% for example), especially if the CMS was used to reach the targets at 100%.
- What is the color volume, not just the color gamut, not only with/without filter, but also in low lamp/high lamp.

The saturation in HDR is hurt most as the brightness goes up with an undersaturated color volume. So instead of a blue sky, you see a white/pale sky. Saturation near black can be a real issue as well. This won't show up if you only look at a gamut chart showing 100% sat only at 100% (or 75%) stim and proudly reporting 100% gamut cover.

So please report the color volume numbers (and graphs), not only the color gamut numbers if you want to make a meaningful comparison between filter/no filter.
Not a problem @Manni01 !

Yes you are absolutely right that it is important to be considering all aspects, including how the chroma saturation tracks within the respective color gamuts. Where to be perfectly honest I was simply trying to keep things simple and not too technically daunting and/or complex for the layperson AV enthusiast.

And that’s a good point regards reporting the color volume performance with respect to HDR; so I will endeavour to do this as soon as I can find the time to do so

So to kick things off let’s deal with SDR… OK here’s the deal… In short, what I previously posted regarding this is 100% correct.


Specifically, I am measuring circa 106% coverage of REC.709 without the filter, uncalibrated:





Wherein, calibrated it is possible to achieve 101% coverage of REC.709 without using the filter:





And yes, this includes excellent mapping of all saturation points:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Finally, saying that the filter is not necessary because you can get 90% of DCI-P3 with a new projector doesn't take into account how this can evolve as the projector ages over time. Some units can cover 100% of DCI-P3 with the filter and 100% of rec-709 without the filter when new, but quite a few people have reported that this doesn't necessarily remains the case after a while, at least with older models. So you might decide that you're fine without the filter to start with, but then decide to use it later. Note that this possible gamut cover shift over time on older models only concerns some units, and might be related to or made worse by specific environmental factors (excessive temperature, insufficient ventilation, use of high lamp or not, length of the sessions, A/C in the room or not, etc). Many users if not most have a stable gamut cover over time. We have no idea how the new models will behave in this regard and if some of them will shift in the same way over time of not.
Good point


Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
I for one applaud JVC's decision to have come up with a filter that allows to reach close to 100% of DCI-P3 on all units (and a bit more on some units) because that provides some headroom as the projector ages, both for rec-709 and DCI-P3.
Well this is where I am not entirely on the same page as you so to speak

Personally, I consider 25% loss of light output to be too much; and I am by no means the only person with this opinion; and especially given we are not talking about a projector that has a considerable amount of surplus light output, particularly with respect to HDR. IMO a much better approach would be to limit the loss of light to say 10-15% maximum and achieve as much of the DCI-P3 color gamut that can be achieved with that acceptable level of light loss. Where I think many more people would prefer say for example 97% of DCI-P3 with 10-15% reduction in light output than 100% of DCI-P3 but with 25% reduction in light output


Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
One advantage of using the filter for Rec-709 as well as DCI-P3 is that you spare the filter mechanism the repeated stress of moving the filter in/out every time the content changes…
Well yeah, but that is not really a massive advantage in itself, merely icing on the cake / gravy...

**HOWEVER** I am personally intending NOT to use the filter for both SDR / Rec-709 as well as HDR / DCI-P3, wherein the advantage is precisely the same... in other words, what you are saying in fact bears no advantage as compared with what I am suggesting, because it is exactly the same situation


Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
…and it also speeds up sync times, as only the iris setting changes (from a physical/mechanical point of view)
The difference measures 2 seconds… Again not a massive advantage in itself

**BUT** again because I am personally intending NOT to use the filter for both SDR / Rec-709 as well as HDR / DCI-P3, again this in fact bears no advantage as compared with what I am suggesting, because it is exactly the same situation. In other words, the comparative sync times will be identical


Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Sure you might lose a bit of native contrast... You lose some native on/off, but you gain some ANSI contrast, so it's a wash and even a gain if you can use the DI.
Not really

The loss of native on/off outweighs the slight non-significant increase in ANSI contrast measurement. ANSI in itself has very little to do with respect to in itself directly influencing the black level performance of video content (hopefully I won’t have to explain again why this is the case )


Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Also remember that more and more titles are now mastered to BT2020 (including recent studio (re)releases, and not only animation: 2001 A Space Odyssey, A Beautiful Planet, Blade Runner 2049 US, Cliffhanger, The Deer Hunter, Escape from New York UK, The Fog UK, They Live UK, Game of Thrones US and UK, The Incredibles US, The Matrix Trilogy, Ready Player One UK, and many more). I haven't been able to test yet how much actual content reaches beyond P3, but given that the standard is BT2020 and P3 is only a step towards it, it's going to be more and more the case. So you really want a gamut as wide as you can get if you want to reproduce all HDR titles as well as possible. I think that's one of the reasons why the filter loses 40% brightness on the RS4500. It's because they tried to reach over P3 to make the PJ as future-proof as possible. I'm happy with 20-25% brightness loss to get 100% of P3 as a compromise for the next few years.

Those who don't really care about hitting reference will be fine using no filter, as this is about what Sony units cover. An rs1000/N5 can be a good option in that case and will produce a stunning picture. Just make sure the calibration is tracking at all saturation levels and not just at 100%, otherwise the picture is likely to be undersaturated, even if it hits the targets at 100% sat.

But for anyone who wants a reference picture or close to reference picture, not only when new but over time, I would not go below the rs2000/N7, and I'd make sure that my screen size/gain doesn't prevent me from hitting reference, because the filter will be needed to achieve that.
The measured maximum usable calibrated light output with respect to my first JVC RS3000/NX9 is circa 1800 lumens without the color filter, and circa 1300 lumens with the color filter.

You are going to be hard pressed to hit the recommended 50+ fL for HDR in most home theaters/cinemas with only circa 1300 lumens... AND that's IF you actually have 1300 lumens available to use, because this is the MAXIMUM, which hence corresponds to MAX ZOOM, whereas with smaller screen sizes the lumens will actually be significantly less than this.

Furthermore, the fact of the matter is that there is not currently a large quantity of consumer HDR video content with strongly saturated WCG material. Yes, the number of titles is indeed increasing (albeit not fast enough for my liking), but in reality what percentage of video content right now will most people be able to perceive a difference? Certainly not 100%. Whereas, if instead you choose NOT to use the filter, you will benefit from significantly improved contrast and better black levels performance without a perceivable difference in colour performance with SDR; and a higher luminance dynamic range with potentially a lot more 'pop' and possibly also improved contrast and better black levels performance as well with HDR, or the option to run HDR with LOW LAMP instead of HIGH LAMP... all of which WILL be perceived with respect to 100% of consumer video content... BUT you will not be achieving 100% perfect color accuracy in all instances... So it boils down to a case of pick your poison, and personal preference will be key.

Me personally, at the present time, I would choose NOT to lose 25% of my light output thanks, but opt instead for all the benefits that can be achieved by not doing so.

That said, however, as and when the majority of consumer HDR video content comprises strongly saturated WCG material, then the importance of 100% DCI-P3 gamut coverage will become all-important. So another point to add in favour of the color filter’s existence is future-proofing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
I'll try to post measurements with/without filter in the JVC Autocal V11 calibration thread for the new models when I get my rs2000 (hopefully soon).
That would be great. I look forward to it

Reddig likes this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 02-02-2019 at 11:10 PM.
ARROW-AV is offline  
post #4387 of 20523 Old 02-02-2019, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,958
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5454 Post(s)
Liked: 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
if you leave it alone (out of the box) will it affect FFTB?

In Mad Max UHD there are a number full fades that will close the RS600 down to a pin hole 00:03:22 and 00:30:11 are 2 good examples.

what happens to the iris without the tweaks? thx!

@ARROW-AV - ?
zombie10k is offline  
post #4388 of 20523 Old 02-02-2019, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,958
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5454 Post(s)
Liked: 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post
UHD 24HZ?

Is that the correct output for the Oppo?

Thanks
in the Oppo setup menu

Video Output Setup -> Output Resolution-> Custom-> UHD 24

BD will upscale to 4K/24 but 3D BD's will play fine as 1080P 3D Frame Packed.
markmon1 likes this.
zombie10k is offline  
post #4389 of 20523 Old 02-02-2019, 11:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ronald Epstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,083
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
in the Oppo setup menu

Video Output Setup -> Output Resolution-> Custom-> UHD 24

BD will upscale to 4K/24 but 3D BD's will play fine as 1080P 3D Frame Packed.

Thanks, Zombie. So I do have it on the correct settings.
Ronald Epstein is offline  
post #4390 of 20523 Old 02-02-2019, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,503
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5463 Post(s)
Liked: 3570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post
Thanks, Zombie. So I do have it on the correct settings.
Yea so how does it behave now? It syncs 15 seconds when you switch to the Oppo input then no more of that once the movie starts?

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is online now  
post #4391 of 20523 Old 02-02-2019, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,928
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6850 Post(s)
Liked: 6853
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #4392 of 20523 Old 02-02-2019, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,523
Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4139 Post(s)
Liked: 6695
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
if you leave it alone (out of the box) will it affect FFTB?

In Mad Max UHD there are a number full fades that will close the RS600 down to a pin hole 00:03:22 and 00:30:11 are 2 good examples.

what happens to the iris without the tweaks? thx!
In short, if your unit is afflicted by this issue, then the gamma is low with respect to both 1% and 2% IRE. If you leave this alone out of the box then this will affect the black level performance and grayscale balance coming out of black, which you don't want.

The good news is that I have now confirmed that you can fix this quite easily via either reducing the BRIGHTNESS setting or alternatively reducing the GAMMA DARK LEVEL setting.

See here wherein I have achieved a very nice flat profile via adjusting the BRIGHTNESS:



And here wherein I have also achieved a good profile but this time instead adjusting the GAMMA DARK LEVEL:



Depending on the severity you might need to reduce the Red, Green, and Blue BIAS as well accordingly

I haven't actually measured the comparative black levels for 0 IRE because until I receive another unit I have just the one so would need to roll back the calibration of the gamma back to out-of-the-box performance which I would rather not do given I have just got the unit nicely calibrated... but it is possible that this might affect this as well

Reddig likes this.
ARROW-AV is offline  
post #4393 of 20523 Old 02-02-2019, 11:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ronald Epstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,083
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Yea so how does it behave now? It syncs 15 seconds when you switch to the Oppo input then no more of that once the movie starts?
No, there are still sync issues. The Paramount logo got cut off for a few seconds. Totally blank screen for about two seconds while the intro music over logo played. I am going to have to use the "pause" trick described earlier in this thread.

Allow me to say this...

This evening I watched the remainder of Braveheart. Please note, I only watched the first 20 minutes earlier in the week to assess the 4k quality.

This evening's viewing affirmed to me two things...

First, and your opinion may vary, Braveheart is one of the greatest accomplishments on film. It is my favorite film of all time.

Secondly, it was well worth my hard-earned money to invest in 4k projection. That was confirmed to me tonight as I watched a film I had seen dozens of times prior, but seemed completely fresh to me in this viewing due to its picture quality.

The landscape photography looks breathtaking. The close-ups of faces look stunning. 4k resolution really brings color and detail into the picture like never before. I can finally see it. I can finally appreciate it.
Spizz, Bruce N, woofer and 8 others like this.
Ronald Epstein is offline  
post #4394 of 20523 Old 02-03-2019, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,503
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5463 Post(s)
Liked: 3570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post
No, there are still sync issues. The Paramount logo got cut off for a few seconds. Totally blank screen for about two seconds while the intro music over logo played. I am going to have to use the "pause" trick described earlier in this thread.

Allow me to say this...

This evening I watched the remainder of Braveheart. Please note, I only watched the first 20 minutes earlier in the week to assess the 4k quality.

This evening's viewing affirmed to me two things...

First, and your opinion may vary, Braveheart is one of the greatest accomplishments on film. It is my favorite film of all time.

Secondly, it was well worth my hard-earned money to invest in 4k projection. That was confirmed to me tonight as I watched a film I had seen dozens of times prior, but seemed completely fresh to me in this viewing due to its picture quality.

The landscape photography looks breathtaking. The close-ups of faces look stunning. 4k resolution really brings color and detail into the picture like never before. I can finally see it. I can finally appreciate it.
That's too bad. It sounds like the oppo switches resolutions even if it's already set for the correct resolution to start
Just for kicks, can you test this?
Start the oppo and with the oppo menu up, pull up the projector info screen and report what is it showing? [email protected]?
Then start a movie after it syncs and video is back like with the paramount logo playing, what is the info screen showing now?
Then when the actual movie starts, what is it showing?
In theory, if these are all the same, the projector should never have to resync.

Also, your oppo has ability to play mkv files right? If you really want to see some jaw dropping detail, play this:
http://hifiandtheater.com/files/yokohama-night-4k.mkv
seanbryan and jorgebetancourt like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is online now  
post #4395 of 20523 Old 02-03-2019, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ronald Epstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,083
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
That's too bad. It sounds like the oppo switches resolutions even if it's already set for the correct resolution to start
Just for kicks, can you test this?
Start the oppo and with the oppo menu up, pull up the projector info screen and report what is it showing? [email protected]?
Then start a movie after it syncs and video is back like with the paramount logo playing, what is the info screen showing now?
Then when the actual movie starts, what is it showing?
In theory, if these are all the same, the projector should never have to resync.

Also, your oppo has ability to play mkv files right? If you really want to see some jaw dropping detail, play this:
http://hifiandtheater.com/files/yokohama-night-4k.mkv
Markmon,

Okay, I went ahead and did this.

Different outcome this time.

The start of the movie from the menu no longer clipped. It played fine.

The only thing that was cut off was the Paramount Home Video logo. That is the first thing that appears prior to the menu, so if that is a normal sync issue, I can live with that.

From Oppo Screen to video playback, INFO constantly showed:

3840x2160 @24p
seanbryan and Dave Vaughn like this.
Ronald Epstein is offline  
post #4396 of 20523 Old 02-03-2019, 12:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dlinsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,136
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
In short, if your unit is afflicted by this issue, then the gamma is low with respect to both 1% and 2% IRE. If you leave this alone out of the box then this will affect the black level performance and grayscale balance coming out of black, which you don't want.

The good news is that I have now confirmed that you can fix this quite easily via either reducing the BRIGHTNESS setting or alternatively reducing the GAMMA DARK LEVEL setting.

See here wherein I have achieved a very nice flat profile via adjusting the BRIGHTNESS:
Is Chromapure measuring the 1-2% and the 5% steps just a limitation of its reporting? Or did you have to verify the 1-2% by hand?
dlinsley is offline  
post #4397 of 20523 Old 02-03-2019, 12:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,915
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post
No, there are still sync issues. The Paramount logo got cut off for a few seconds. Totally blank screen for about two seconds while the intro music over logo played. I am going to have to use the "pause" trick described earlier in this thread.

~
cable used ? and path ? what else is in the stream ? sounds to me just a typical hdmi issue ?

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is online now  
post #4398 of 20523 Old 02-03-2019, 12:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ronald Epstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,083
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
cable used ? and path ? what else is in the stream ? sounds to me just a typical hdmi issue ?
Cable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One of these goes from Oppo output to Denon AVR-X7200WA Dolby Atmos Receiver

Other goes from Denon output to HDMI input on JVC

Length of each HDMI cable: 6'
alebonau likes this.
Ronald Epstein is offline  
post #4399 of 20523 Old 02-03-2019, 12:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,958
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5454 Post(s)
Liked: 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post
Cable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One of these goes from Oppo output to Denon AVR-X7200WA Dolby Atmos Receiver

Other goes from Denon output to HDMI input on JVC

Length of each HDMI cable: 6'
looking at the negative reviews of that cable, there's a dozen or so complaints about the cable not passing dolby vision. That shouldn't be an issue for any real certified premium cable, so maybe there are other issues with them causing longer than necessary handshakes.

https://www.amazon.com/Tera-Grand-Ce...l&pageNumber=1


It might be worth picking up a pair of the monoprice cable to be certain, these are guaranteed to work well with the JVC's. I have almost 50 feet (source->Denon 7200->Vertex->Projector) and no sync issues up to 4K/60.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-115...dp/B01GCGKFBY/
zombie10k is offline  
post #4400 of 20523 Old 02-03-2019, 01:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ronald Epstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,083
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
looking at the negative reviews of that cable, there's a dozen or so complaints about the cable not passing dolby vision. That shouldn't be an issue for any real certified premium cable, so maybe there are other issues with them causing longer than necessary handshakes.

https://www.amazon.com/Tera-Grand-Ce...l&pageNumber=1


It might be worth picking up a pair of the monoprice cable to be certain, these are guaranteed to work well with the JVC's. I have almost 50 feet (source->Denon 7200->Vertex->Projector) and no sync issues up to 4K/60.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-115...dp/B01GCGKFBY/

Thanks for that tip

Let me ask you...

If these HDMI cables were not passing Dolby Vision would I know? Would I even get a picture?
Ronald Epstein is offline  
post #4401 of 20523 Old 02-03-2019, 01:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,958
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5454 Post(s)
Liked: 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post
Thanks for that tip

Let me ask you...

If these HDMI cables were not passing Dolby Vision would I know? Would I even get a picture?
In those complaints they were referring to TV's with DV capability. Since the projectors are not DV capable the Oppo would just pass the HDR version to the projector.

It's still a red flag from those comments and worth $14 to find out if it's related.
zombie10k is offline  
post #4402 of 20523 Old 02-03-2019, 01:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ronald Epstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,083
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
In those complaints they were referring to TV's with DV capability. Since the projectors are not DV capable the Oppo would just pass the HDR version to the projector.

It's still a red flag from those comments and worth $14 to find out if it's related.

Thanks for that answer.

Okay, it's cheap enuf to buy two 6' cables for under $15. I'll do it.

Monoprice is a great cable. I have used them before.

Thanks for all the help.
alebonau likes this.
Ronald Epstein is offline  
post #4403 of 20523 Old 02-03-2019, 01:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,915
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post
Cable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One of these goes from Oppo output to Denon AVR-X7200WA Dolby Atmos Receiver

Other goes from Denon output to HDMI input on JVC

Length of each HDMI cable: 6'
yep I'd just flick those cables for the mono price premium certified, hopefully sorts the issue

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is online now  
post #4404 of 20523 Old 02-03-2019, 01:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,063
Mentioned: 498 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post
Thanks for that answer.



Okay, it's cheap enuf to buy two 6' cables for under $15. I'll do it.



Monoprice is a great cable. I have used them before.



Thanks for all the help.
Monoprice Premium is an awesome cable. I bought a dozen of them and replaced all of the HDMI cables in my house. Passes full 18gbps perfect.
Spizz and Ronald Epstein like this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #4405 of 20523 Old 02-03-2019, 02:20 AM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 3,505
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2822 Post(s)
Liked: 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
What many do, including myself, is to just hit pause when the the sync starts, often accompanied by the sound starting, wait for the picture to show, and then hit play again. Agree it is a bit of a pain to have to do this, but it is what it is. There are quirks and stuff like this with all projectors and electronic gear in general.
I've seen some KODI boxes with this option automated - they have a programmable delay after a mode change. It's quite a cute feature.
DLCPhoto and tommarra like this.
bobof is offline  
post #4406 of 20523 Old 02-03-2019, 02:29 AM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 3,505
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2822 Post(s)
Liked: 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Specifically, I am measuring circa 106% coverage of REC.709 without the filter, uncalibrated:

Wherein, calibrated it is possible to achieve 101% coverage of REC.709 without using the filter:
Out of interest, are these low lamp or high lamp? The gamut does (or at least does on my X7900) widen a fair bit when switching to high lamp.
bobof is offline  
post #4407 of 20523 Old 02-03-2019, 02:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,063
Mentioned: 498 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6643
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Out of interest, are these low lamp or high lamp? The gamut does (or at least does on my X7900) widen a fair bit when switching to high lamp.
Same with every JVC I've tested. 3 generations.

It's really interesting because i can use high lamp -10 and measure the same increase in gamut vs low lamp set up for more brightness.
bobof likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #4408 of 20523 Old 02-03-2019, 03:07 AM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 3,505
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2822 Post(s)
Liked: 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Same with every JVC I've tested. 3 generations.

It's really interesting because i can use high lamp -10 and measure the same increase in gamut vs low lamp set up for more brightness.
Yup, it's a good way to get a wider gamut and more contrast for the same light output if you can stand the high lamp noise. It's probably a good thing to do to your lamp every so often anyway, these lamps get a bit unstable if they're left all the time in low. Anyway, for now was just wondering what the charts represented (sorry @ARROW-AV if it is mentioned in one of the posts).
bobof is offline  
post #4409 of 20523 Old 02-03-2019, 03:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bwillcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,462
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Man that's a bummer. I'm sure it'll be no problem swapping it out but always a bummer when waiting for something for a long time to have it show up busted. If you were one of the folks that used scope screens you may not even be aware of the issue.
Since I bought the unit from a local dealer that I've been dealing with here in Austin for decades I don't anticipate any problem with getting it replaced. They have another one on order already though they don't know when it will arrive. I plan to continue to use this one till the replacement arrives. Since the problem only exists at the bottom of the screen, when watching letter boxed movies you don't notice the problem. Just need to stick with them for awhile till the new projector arrives I guess.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
bwillcox is offline  
post #4410 of 20523 Old 02-03-2019, 03:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,503
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5463 Post(s)
Liked: 3570
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Since I bought the unit from a local dealer that I've been dealing with here in Austin for decades I don't anticipate any problem with getting it replaced. They have another one on order already though they don't know when it will arrive. I plan to continue to use this one till the replacement arrives. Since the problem only exists at the bottom of the screen, when watching letter boxed movies you don't notice the problem. Just need to stick with them for awhile till the new projector arrives I guess.
Are you able to send 4096x2160 input to your projector? This would give slight letterbox go the 16:9 content and possibly block out the bottom. I think while I was waiting on a new projector I’d probably set the masking to block that out. I’d rather miss a little of the bottom of the content than be distracted by that blue.
markmon1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx5 , nx7 , nx9 , rs1000 , rs2000 , rs3000

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off