Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 158 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18746Likes

post #4711 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mark View Post
If anyone going to this has House with a Clock in its Walls UHD, this would be a good test. It has great sharpness and HDR effects, but it also has lots of dark scenes that demand good on/off contrast. Often the scenes contain both good HDR elements/highlights and large areas of darkness at the same time. So I'd like to hear which projector is the best at displaying punchy HDR while also maintaining good black levels.
What is the group's feeling regarding the video quality on the NX7/9 when comparing UHD/HDR movies via the physical Blu-Ray versus streaming from iTunes/Vudu with 100Mbps LAN (not WiFi) connection? Is it worth it to save money with the digital code if the audio codec is acceptable and the supplemental features on the disc(s) are unimportant?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4712 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 11:45 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
What is the group's feeling regarding the video quality on the NX7/9 when comparing UHD/HDR movies via the physical Blu-Ray versus streaming from iTunes/Vudu with 100Mbps LAN (not WiFi) connection? Is it worth it to save money with the digital code if the audio codec is acceptable and the supplemental features on the disc(s) are unimportant?
There is no comparison.

UHD/HDR Disk Format is a vastly better.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
post #4713 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post

Agree.

I watched Guardians of the Galaxy on Netflix and was having trouble with the dialog bass effects etc... Then I brought out my Bluray rip (both played through Shield) and the difference was night and day.

Also the image was not sharp enough and lot of compression artifacts

I would continue to buy and rip full BD for the foreseeable future. Compressed streaming just doesn't cut it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matted, Reddig, Krak66 and 1 others like this.

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)

Last edited by tommarra; 02-06-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4714 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

Now another issue...

What is this?

This is from tonight's viewing of WIDOWS in 4k.

See the shadow on the edge of the woman's face?

I am hoping it is an anomaly in the transfer. I have never seen this problem anywhere else in the film or anywhere else.

The scene is about 10-15 minutes into the film.
It's in the transfer here as well on my monitor.
Ronald Epstein likes this.
post #4715 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Screen for nx7

Looking to get an nx7 and trying to figure out the best screen option. I contacted Stewart and they recommended the Firehawk zero edge balon screen for my situation - some ambient light during the day but I have blackout curtains if needed (gets pretty dark). Thoughts on these screens with this projector? Its a pretty big purchase and want to make sure it would be getting the most for my $.
post #4716 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6853 Post(s)
Liked: 6856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post
Come tomorrow we will be testing the N7 NX9 against the Z1 and the previous gen. Good times
Lets see if one these beauties convince me to upgrade my beloved golden X9500.
What type of meter will you be using for your texting?
post #4717 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 773
As Im very new to using HDR 4K films, I need some help with my NX9 please.
I never in the past used 4K films on my X9900 as it was too difficult getting it right, however the NX9 is a different story.
However Im not sure how to set the screen size for HDR, can someone help me please... Nigel

I have a Stewart Studio Tek 130 microperf curved scope screen of 145" diag. I use an Isco IIIL lens on a cineslide.
I have heaps of light on low lamp for SD material, HDR on high lamp is fine but I feel I need it a bit brighter for HDR.

I see the manual gives advice for setting screen sizes with gain for HDR, but I dont quite understand this due to not being up with the HDR side of things.
Nigel this might be a good point in the start of the thread for those like us....

The manual states the default settings for auto tone mapping are set for 90 to 120" screens with a gain of 1.0
My screen is 145" with a gain of 1.3, I really dont know what to adjust or how to adjust for size.

Is it just Picture Tone we move for a larger screen or do we also have to adjust dark/bright levels?
The manual also has settings for Tone, dark/bright levels for setting gamma when clipping point is 400, 1000, 2000, 4000nits, do I set for this or just leave it?

Sorry for the dumb question but Im a newbee to HDR....

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #4718 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12820 Post(s)
Liked: 10462
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezo Jay View Post
Looking to get an nx7 and trying to figure out the best screen option. I contacted Stewart and they recommended the Firehawk zero edge balon screen for my situation - some ambient light during the day but I have blackout curtains if needed (gets pretty dark). Thoughts on these screens with this projector? Its a pretty big purchase and want to make sure it would be getting the most for my $.
You doing scope or 16:9?
post #4719 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 2260 Post(s)
Liked: 1536
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
As Im very new to using HDR 4K films, I need some help with my NX9 please.
I never in the past used 4K films on my X9900 as it was too difficult getting it right, however the NX9 is a different story.
However Im not sure how to set the screen size for HDR, can someone help me please... Nigel

I have a Stewart Studio Tek 130 microperf curved scope screen of 145" diag. I use an Isco IIIL lens on a cineslide.
I have heaps of light on low lamp for SD material, HDR on high lamp is fine but I feel I need it a bit brighter for HDR.

I see the manual gives advice for setting screen sizes with gain for HDR, but I dont quite understand this due to not being up with the HDR side of things.
Nigel this might be a good point in the start of the thread for those like us....

The manual states the default settings for auto tone mapping are set for 90 to 120" screens with a gain of 1.0
My screen is 145" with a gain of 1.3, I really dont know what to adjust or how to adjust for size.

Is it just Picture Tone we move for a larger screen or do we also have to adjust dark/bright levels?
The manual also has settings for Tone, dark/bright levels for setting gamma when clipping point is 400, 1000, 2000, 4000nits, do I set for this or just leave it?

Sorry for the dumb question but Im a newbee to HDR....
Just looking at the menu settings it looks like the mapping level would be what you would want to adjust for the overall screen size.

post #4720 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Just looking at the menu settings it looks like the mapping level would be what you would want to adjust for the overall screen size.
I tried that but thought the image lost some blacks and tended to look a little washed out

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #4721 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 316
I was wondering if any of the new JVC owners have a copy of the Imax Enhanced Beautiful Planet. The disk has lots of deep black sequences that might be nice to compare on these new models. The images are reference quality in my opinion.
It is also one of the first disks with Imax enhance sound which Dennon & Marantz just issues firmware updates for a few of their receivers.

https://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Pla.../dp/B07J35T8H2
post #4722 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
You doing scope or 16:9?
140 inch scope

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #4723 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
I tried that but thought the image lost some blacks and tended to look a little washed out
You may need to adjust brightness or change the gamma used. Unless I'm mistaken the other controls (Picture tone, dark level, bright level) will change with auto tone mapping enabled on a per title basis. Which is why the mapping level seems like it should be what you would use to compensate for screen sizing. If it doesn't appear dim in titles with metadata (don't use Disney) then it's probably fine where it is (though I would think you would need to adjust it some as it doesn't seem like the gain would offset the size difference).

post #4724 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
This is not an issue with your projector, it's actually encoded in the movie that way. I have the bluray but it's the same. Here is a screen capture of playback (not a photo of the way my projector shows it, but an actual screen capture of the image playing at the source).
markmon1
Just out of curiosity and probably a stupid question, but how do you do a screen capture?

Also, I must say that as good as these projectors are, whenever you or Javs or others have posted screen capture photos, the projected images mostly come up lacking in comparison.

Note the grain in her face, the haloing on her collar and shoulders.

Maybe Ronald Epstein's projector hasn't been calibrated, but his image looks pretty rough compared to the screen capture.
post #4725 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoy View Post
markmon1
Just out of curiosity and probably a stupid question, but how do you do a screen capture?

Also, I must say that as good as these projectors are, whenever you or Javs or others have posted screen capture photos, the projected images mostly come up lacking in comparison.

Maybe Ronald Epstein's projector hasn't been calibrated, but his image looks pretty rough compared to the screen capture.
Taking a frame capture from a program does not involve a camera. Most people aren't capturing projected images with calibrated professional camera. So that introduces a lot of potential for differences that aren't necessarily there.

post #4726 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezo Jay View Post
140 inch scope

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
We will have to see how accurate the lens memory is. Has to be nearly perfect, for it to work on a Zero Edge scope screen.
post #4727 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Taking a frame capture from a program does not involve a camera. Most people aren't capturing projected images with calibrated professional camera. So that introduces a lot of potential for differences that aren't necessarily there.
How does one calibrate a camera?? Are you talking about white balance? How would u calibrate a camera's sensor for color etc?

You can calibrate your display device /printer etc but never heard of calibrating the camera itself. I have been shooting on a prosumer level since over 15 yrs now and dont know anything about camera calibration (lens calibration yes/ white balance setting yes but not color calibration).

If you have any resources that can provide more details it would be greatly appreciated.
post #4728 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Quoted: 4139 Post(s)
Liked: 6696
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniv View Post
How does one calibrate a camera?? Are you talking about white balance? How would u calibrate a camera's sensor for color etc?

You can calibrate your display device /printer etc but never heard of calibrating the camera itself. I have been shooting on a prosumer level since over 15 yrs now and dont know anything about camera calibration (lens calibration yes/ white balance setting yes but not color calibration).

If you have any resources that can provide more details it would be greatly appreciated.
Get more accurate color with camera calibration

post #4729 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
post #4730 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
haha I wish it was true though. He is not calibrating the camera , but the output he is calibrating the output and creating a custom color profile to his liking. A working semi/professional camera wont give you inaccurate colors.

Excerpt from the article:
"How to use custom profiles
Working as a travel photographer, I tend to make a custom profile for each location area. So if I am shooting in the Himalayan region of Ladakh in India, I'll create a profile, and if on the same trip I were to head to a completely different area, such as the lush state of Kerala in the South of India, then I would repeat the process."

if all he was doing was trying to achieve perfect colors he wouldn't need a different custom profile per location. In essence you dont need to calibrate a camera to see red differently in your bathroom vs your kitchen.

Also those color profiles only apply to JPEG outputs, if you are shooting RAW it doesnt matter really what profile is on your camera as long as your display is calibrated.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #4731 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
JVC RS2000/NX7/N7

Here we go!

UNBOXING:

So the serial number 064400XX is a Jan Manufacture date. Mine shipped today and has the same 064400XX
Drem and ARROW-AV like this.

Home Theater: JVC RS2000, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- PB-16 Ultra Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One, HTPC with MadVR, Qnap NAS
post #4732 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
haha I wish it was true though. He is not calibrating the camera , but the output he is calibrating the output and creating a custom color profile to his liking. A working semi/professional camera wont give you inaccurate colors.

Excerpt from the article:
"How to use custom profiles
Working as a travel photographer, I tend to make a custom profile for each location area. So if I am shooting in the Himalayan region of Ladakh in India, I'll create a profile, and if on the same trip I were to head to a completely different area, such as the lush state of Kerala in the South of India, then I would repeat the process."

if all he was doing was trying to achieve perfect colors he wouldn't need a different custom profile per location. In essence you dont need to calibrate a camera to see red differently in your bathroom vs your kitchen.

Also those color profiles only apply to JPEG outputs, if you are shooting RAW it doesnt matter really what profile is on your camera as long as your display is calibrated.
Well that kinda is calibrating... in the same way as creating a custom color profile for a projector would be part of the calibration process

But yes this is irrelevant if you shoot and export as RAW

aniv and Archibald1 like this.
post #4733 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
So the serial number 064400XX is a Jan Manufacture date. Mine shipped today and has the same 064400XX
Yes and given my JVC RS3000/NX9 is an early October 2018 build bordering on pre-production unit it will be interesting to see what are the comparative performances

Archibald1 likes this.
post #4734 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 5470 Post(s)
Liked: 3572
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoy View Post
markmon1

I played the video on my pc full screen, pressed alt+print screen, pasted the clipboard into photoshop and saved as .jpg.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #4735 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 5470 Post(s)
Liked: 3572
Quote:
Yes and given my JVC RS3000/NX9 is an early October 2018 build bordering on pre-production unit it will be interesting to see what are the comparative performances

My prediction is that the NX9 and N7 are extremely close in comparison and performance and one just expects a lot more out of an NX9 due to the price difference.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #4736 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 5454 Post(s)
Liked: 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
I was wondering if any of the new JVC owners have a copy of the Imax Enhanced Beautiful Planet. The disk has lots of deep black sequences that might be nice to compare on these new models. The images are reference quality in my opinion.
It is also one of the first disks with Imax enhance sound which Dennon & Marantz just issues firmware updates for a few of their receivers.

https://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Pla.../dp/B07J35T8H2
I have this title and can provide some feedback once I get the RS2000 set up, hopefully over the weekend. It looked great on the RS600 in the velvet pit.
rwestley likes this.
post #4737 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
JVC RS2000/NX7/N7

Here we go!

Thanks for sharing the images. Can you please check if the grey color ring is a magnetic metal if possible?

I would like to build a custom magnetic lens cover for easy removal so I dont gather dust on the lens when its not in use.

Thanks!!
Chris Kane likes this.
post #4738 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I have this title and can provide some feedback once I get the RS2000 set up, hopefully over the weekend. It looked great on the RS600 in the velvet pit.
Friday should be an exciting day for you.
Spizz, zombie10k and Manni01 like this.
post #4739 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
Interestingly, the build date doesn't appear in that form anywhere on the JVC carton for my DLA-NX7BK (US).
post #4740 of 20570 Old 02-06-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the images. Can you please check if the grey color ring is a magnetic metal if possible?

I would like to build a custom magnetic lens cover for easy removal so I dont gather dust on the lens when its not in use.

Thanks!!
Not magnetic.
ARROW-AV likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx5 , nx7 , nx9 , rs1000 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page