Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 173 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16735Likes

post #5161 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6684 Post(s)
Liked: 6681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
Thanks Chad, I hope the lower end projectors such as the NX5 measure up as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
Thank you for the detailed review... Something which only an ace calibrator like you can do. If you get your hands on a NX7 would love to hear your thoughts about it too.
With a little luck.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
Wonder if they just opened the boxes and added the new firmware then sealed them up again, Doesn’t seem like they’ve done full quality control checks on Them.
Depending how many units actually came in, you could be correct. I was told when most items are produced in mass production not everyone is tested or powered on. Of course this could be different will all electronics, including what JVC does. Lets face it though, failures can happen at anytime, might work fine for the test, next time the unit is powered on a failure......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5162 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 08:16 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I was told when most items are produced in mass production not everyone is tested or powered on. Of course this could be different will all electronics, including what JVC does.
This is mostly myth for this kind of gear.

I've spent a fair bit of time in factories in the Far East. Most items get tested these days, they're just too complex not to, too many parts means the chance of failed product would be too high without testing. Testing criteria may be surprisingly loose though, not all functionality may be tested, and may not be tested to the published specs - instead the tests can often be simple works / doesn't work type tests, or short tests approximating functionality.

These projectors have data tables in them which are unique to each unit and are the result of parts of the testing process, so it is extremely unlikely that a projector would be shipped without being tested. Of course, no guarantee that it works when it reaches you... And it doesn't mean that during an update process (that might happen in a warehouse) that the screens are even looked at in detail. It could be open box, power on, put firmware stick in, do update, check version, repack, without going through the full production test again.

The products I design now are used in the production line testing of audio equipment. You would be surprised at how cheap the retail is on some of the kit is that is being tested in factories by being loaded into jigs that run 24x7 testing tens of thousands of things in 10, 20, 30 or 60 seconds. A lot of engineering goes into this.
post #5163 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
So I am having this ‘issue’ with my NX7. When my DI engages whites take a yellowish hue. This goes away if the DI opens up, or if the DI is set to manual.

Also when DI engages things tend to soften a bit.

Please see the video in the link - whenever the menu is on the entire image tightens up and the whites are more white. When the menu is off then the image is a little soft and whites turn to yellow

Is this an issue with the projector or something that I can adjust? I can understand my image going dark but why is it going soft?

My manual iris is set at -4, and use Auto 2 for DI.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AlvdMbnqRAsKgaomMRJNlaQILF_EEA

The video starts with no menu - DI at -4 SDR Rec 709

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the exact same issue with my 3000 which is getting replaced do to a noisy DI. Even after running a gamma only calibration with a spyder5. (I think that might have made it worse) i will try superwhite and report back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5164 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
I guess we'll have to wait until Zoombie can get his hands on one of JVC's 4K models to find out how it measures up with 3D. I own two different 2016 models and the quality of 3D playback differs substantially from one model to the other, so I don't think we can generalize about 3D.

I also have Da-lite 119" High Power 2.8 gain screen and it helps a lot wth 3D playback. Also, anyone into 3D should not hesitate to pick up some relatively cheap Samsung 3D glasses . -- they work with every projector I throw at them . -- Epson LS10000, the two JVCs and a Sony T.V.!
Paul Sim likes this.
post #5165 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post
After reading about those who have had some issues with their new JVC models thought I would check in.

I received my RS1000 Friday. I fired it up last night; perfect convergence out of the box. I watched 4K scenes from Infinity Wars, How to Train Your Dragon and some others.

This PJ rocks! I couldn't stop smiling. After reading many opinions, and observing all the hand wringing about is an upgrade worth it, will the contrast be as good, yada, yada, yada, I thought there might be some consideration towards keeping my RS500. No way.

My screen is 144"x 60" Seymour XD we watch from about ~11'. This is a clear upgrade; even 720p DirecTV looks pretty good (hard to believe, isn't it). My wife came in during How to Train Your Dragon and commented "that picture is amazing, is that the new JVC"? A few pages ago someone said you would have to go to a NX9 to compete with an x790r. Don't believe it.

Today I am going to add the Paladin. Life is good.

Willie
You are finding the contrast and black level performance between the RS1000 and RS500 to be on par? At least on casual observation, I figure. If so that could be significant for folks trying decide between the 1000 and 2000. Just making sure you meant RS500 not RS400.
post #5166 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 08:54 AM

Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colozeus View Post
I have the exact same issue with my 3000 which is getting replaced do to a noisy DI. Even after running a gamma only calibration with a spyder5. (I think that might have made it worse) i will try superwhite and report back.

Superwhite did not make much of a difference. If anything, it makes the initial white less white, but you can still notice a yellowing of the white square once the iris clamps down. Same on auto 1 and 2. And with screen correction turned on or off. Same with tone mapping on or off.

I just started my update to 1.20. I will test again after it finishes. If it’s still there, i will rerun autocal with my spyder5.

Qq for everyone that has used autocal. Should i be angling up my my spider so the sensor has a straigt line of sight to the lens? Or should the sensor’s line of sight be parallel to the ground?

post #5167 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
After reading about those who have had some issues with their new JVC models thought I would check in.

I received my RS1000 Friday. I fired it up last night; perfect convergence out of the box. I watched 4K scenes from Infinity Wars, How to Train Your Dragon and some others.

This PJ rocks! I couldn't stop smiling. After reading many opinions, and observing all the hand wringing about is an upgrade worth it, will the contrast be as good, yada, yada, yada, I thought there might be some consideration towards keeping my RS500. No way.

My screen is 144"x 60" Seymour XD we watch from about ~11'. This is a clear upgrade; even 720p DirecTV looks pretty good (hard to believe, isn't it). My wife came in during How to Train Your Dragon and commented "that picture is amazing, is that the new JVC"? A few pages ago someone said you would have to go to a NX9 to compete with an x790r. Don't believe it.

Willie
My setup is nearly identical to yours. 144” x 60” Seymour XD screen, RS500 viewed from 12’. Wondering what your throw is? Mine is 19’6”. I have the RS2000 and Paladin DCR on order.
post #5168 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
A ticking sound was audible as the DI worked, but it was clear that it made a substantial improvement in visible contrast of this dark scene without seriously compromising shadow detail.
How loud was the "ticking" sound?
post #5169 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 09:39 AM

so i'm currrently, hopefully, still in the process of upgrading firmware to 1.20. After the initial start of the update and after about 20 minutes, the projector just turned off by itself. There were no blinking lights. Following the instructions provided by my dealer from JVC i powered it back on with the remote. The projector is on and it looks like the panels are on, but no image is being projected and i have a solid green light with alternating orange and red blinking lights.

UPDATE: literally just as i posted this, my projector booted up. yay! Now for some testing. (one day i will stop pixel peeping on sundays and actually enjoy my projector)
BondDonBond likes this.
post #5170 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 09:46 AM

No difference in DI white yellowing. Booo.
post #5171 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
No difference in DI white yellowing. Booo.

Wonder if previous generation also had this? Anyone else also experiencing this or is this a ‘defect’ in our PJ.

Can someone else also please check with Auto 2 with a white on black pattern on display.

If I had to take a guess it would be something to do with Gamma - at low brightness the blue is getting subdued somehow

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #5172 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Wonder if previous generation also had this? Anyone else also experiencing this or is this a ‘defect’ in our PJ.

Can someone else also please check with Auto 2 with a white on black pattern on display.

If I had to take a guess it would be something to do with Gamma - at low brightness the blue is getting subdued somehow

Any help will be greatly appreciated

My previous 990 did not do this. The white just got less bright. I wonder if this was done on purpose so that we wouldn't notice DI pumping.

Can any owners of their rs2000 and rs3000 test this? i'm using an adl pattern of 85% white with a single white square in the center.
post #5173 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela View Post
How loud was the "ticking" sound?

It was pretty faint, but was audible in quiet spots of a movie. My head was only 2 feet from the lens though.

mikela likes this.

touring ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 and Klein K-10
Latest reviews:JVC RS540, JVC RS3000, Sony VPL-VW695ES
Copied settings measured, Review archive
post #5174 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My previous 990 did not do this. The white just got less bright. I wonder if this was done on purpose so that we wouldn't notice DI pumping.

Can any owners of their rs2000 and rs3000 test this? i'm using an adl pattern of 85% white with a single white square in the center.

Now I am really concerned. Can someone else please test .

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #5175 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 11:35 AM

Does anybody know how to get into the service menu on the nx/rs line?

post #5176 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked: 2234
Quote:

I had the same issue with the NX9 sample i had... For those with an NX9 put up a white screen and toggle E-Shift ON/OFF , it will go from White to a dull yellow/white.
post #5177 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
Quote:
so i'm currrently, hopefully, still in the process of upgrading firmware to 1.20. After the initial start of the update and after about 20 minutes, the projector just turned off by itself. There were no blinking lights. Following the instructions provided by my dealer from JVC i powered it back on with the remote. The projector is on and it looks like the panels are on, but no image is being projected and i have a solid green light with alternating orange and red blinking lights.

UPDATE: literally just as i posted this, my projector booted up. yay! Now for some testing. (one day i will stop pixel peeping on sundays and actually enjoy my projector)
Just watch a movie man! You know you can do it!!
Craig Peer, llang269 and riddle like this.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
post #5178 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 789
This thread is the prime example of why I love and appreciate this forum so much.

I don't have the gonads of you pioneers each time we get the next generation of major step-up theater gear, but those of you who do.....Salute!!!

You hammer or the issues and fixes every time for all of us in the end. Once you do, I jump in either on the next iteration or a trusted B-stock with all the needed updates and service work in place from your efforts.

It's not just the pros calibrators like Chad, Kris, Cleveland, Arrow, and others, it's the end users who take this stuff seriously and head on. My friends think I'm "involved" in this hobby. They have no idea where I get all my info. Lol

So while I see the frustrations and excitement throughout all the early adopters, I just wanted to say thanks for taking that first toe-dip for us less brave than you.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #5179 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12543 Post(s)
Liked: 10160
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

Willie
Aren't you glad you did not cancel.
post #5180 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12543 Post(s)
Liked: 10160
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
Wonder if they just opened the boxes and added the new firmware then sealed them up again, Doesn’t seem like they’ve done full quality control checks on Them.
On these first two shipments to the US, every one of them was inspected, from what I was told and the projectors were in JVC USA's hands a lot longer than needed, if only a few were inspected. The added inspection time is why Europe has them out before the US.
post #5181 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 408
OK, I know that "Pacific Rim" isn't the greatest or most profound story ever told (and has to be enjoyed for the entertaining popcorn engine that it is), but it certainly displayed as a masterful 3D presentation on my NX7. The CGI depth was really engaging, the DTS-MA 7.1 track was enveloping (with marvelous LFE bass) & the black levels were a joy to behold. Just thought I'd pass this along to the 3D lovers out there..............
smitty, Reddig and Pooch15 like this.

Last edited by docrog; 02-10-2019 at 01:35 PM.
post #5182 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
OK, I know that "Pacific Rim" isn't the greatest story ever told (and has to be enjoyed for the entertaining popcorn engine that it is), but it certainly displayed as a masterful 3D presentation on my NX7. The CGI depth was really engaging, the DTS-MA 7.1 track was enveloping (with marvelous LFE bass) & the black levels were a joy to behold. Just thought I'd pass this along to the 3D lovers out there..............
Im a HUGE 3D fan and this is music to my ears.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
post #5183 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
I had the same issue with the NX9 sample i had... For those with an NX9 put up a white screen and toggle E-Shift ON/OFF , it will go from White to a dull yellow/white.
Did JVC replace it? How did you address the issue.

I just checked the gamma on my PJ using Spyder 5 and looks damn near perfect. So the yellowing issue might be something else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jvc gamma test.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	2523692  

post #5184 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
You are finding the contrast and black level performance between the RS1000 and RS500 to be on par? At least on casual observation, I figure. If so that could be significant for folks trying decide between the 1000 and 2000. Just making sure you meant RS500 not RS400.
I guess this is all about expectations. The answer is no, the blacks are not quite as good as my RS500. Having said that, they are good enough. The overall image improvement on all the material I watch is easily seen. I would say this generation is a nice step forward over the last generation of e-shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raheaps View Post
My setup is nearly identical to yours. 144” x 60” Seymour XD screen, RS500 viewed from 12’. Wondering what your throw is? Mine is 19’6”. I have the RS2000 and Paladin DCR on order.
I watch in a bat cave; black ceiling and grey and black walls and treatments. My throw is 20'6". My Paladin is the non-DCR flavor; I was using it with my RS500. The DCR/RS2000 should be a really nice setup.

Willie
Reddig likes this.
post #5185 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Aren't you glad you did not cancel.
I was getting cranky waiting is all
Mike Garrett and Renerator like this.
post #5186 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Sorry for the interruption for 99% of you out there but I just wanted to put a shout out to anyone in CO. Be sure you are on the Denver forum because we are having a meet up and review of the RS2000 and the DCR lens (maybe) if delivered by the 23rd. We have several coming and wil be fun. Now back to your regular scheduled program.
Toe, Reddig and Applemike68 like this.

Home Theater: JVC RS2000, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- PB-16 Ultra Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One, HTPC with MadVR, Qnap NAS
post #5187 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
Sorry for the interruption for 99% of you out there but I just wanted to put a shout out to anyone in CO. Be sure you are on the Denver forum because we are having a meet up and review of the RS2000 and the DCR lens (maybe) if delivered by the 23rd. We have several coming and wil be fun. Now back to your regular scheduled program.
How far from Colorado Springs is this? I’m considering a DCR for my new JVC and it would be fun to see this in action.
post #5188 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeRF View Post
I was provided the firmware by my dealer so I'm not sure if we're allowed to share.

I'm happy to report however that after a call from JVC and a tip from Mike my projector is once again back in business and running v1.20

So, here's a rundown of events:

I initially ran the update from the projector menu and the projector ran through the update (lights move continuously and sequentially on the front of the projector until all lights and the projector turn off). I then turned on the projector and after 2-3 minutes the projector did not come on as described in the update manual and instead the orange and red warning lights began flashing alternately. The projector was not responsive and I eventually pulled the power. Now apparently what I should have done is just waited 5 more minutes because after reloading 1.20 (using a trick from the JVC rep for direct loading from USB on boot) I once again came to the alternating lights on boot. This time however, per a tip from Mike, I left it alone and after nearly 15 minutes (30 minutes from update start) on the nose the projector returned to life.

I don't know if this is the standard procedure now for these new units, but if so I would hope that JVC updates the firmware update documentation to make this second part of the update process more clear.

Finally, I can't thank Mike enough for not only being responsive himself on a Saturday night but getting a JVC rep to reach out to me as well and getting this resolved. I'm a customer for life.
I was the one Mike mentioned where I left it alone, with the blinking lights as you described. I came back later and it was running. However, every time I turn it on now it appears dead for 5 minutes before it boots on "D-ILA" screen. Does yours boot normally since?
post #5189 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1379 Post(s)
Liked: 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
Would be nice to put a link to ChadB's review at the beginning of this thread. Just gets lost in all the pages and it's a great unbiased assessment from what I can tell.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57577540
desray2k likes this.
post #5190 of 18088 Old 02-10-2019, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4471 View Post
How far from Colorado Springs is this? I’m considering a DCR for my new JVC and it would be fun to see this in action.
Go to the Denver forum but it is about 1 and 1/2 hours depending how fast you drive Google it but I25 and Hwy 7 approx. I am going to Great WolF Lodge down there this weekend.

Home Theater: JVC RS2000, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- PB-16 Ultra Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One, HTPC with MadVR, Qnap NAS

Last edited by BondDonBond; 02-10-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page