Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 189 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15402Likes

post #5641 of 16505 Old 02-14-2019, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
it's different I think that what others are reporting. It sounds more like others were saying that just enabling dynamic iris was causing the whole screen to take a yellowish tint. If it's just on a screen thats fully black with a small amount of white, I don't think it should be discussed much.
The video that kicked this off a few days ago was a single line of white text on a black background. I don't think anyone has reported a case that wasn't low ADL with the exception of some early RS3000 reviews weeks ago in which case yes, for them it was going yellow any time you turned on DI. I guess it's time to break out some test patterns. Above what % ADL would you expect there to not be a noticeable shift toward yellow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5642 of 16505 Old 02-14-2019, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddle View Post
Hi, i got reply from Xpand, with new JVC will be ideal way use X105-RF-X1 :-)

https://www.amazon.com/XPAND-X105-RF-X1-Rechargeable-Bluetooth-Glasses/dp/B00BFO4XSA

Xpand is giving me some grief on this subject, I have 4 pairs of the Xpand X105-RF-X3 (Horizontal) I'm trying to return, exchanging for 2 pairs of the vertical models with the Dual play for gaming, guess we'll see if that works. They are saying that JVC is telling them that the orientation of the new NX line is the same Horizontal as the previous models,

[email protected]
Feb 13, 2019, 9:45 PM (1 day ago)

"Unfortunately we cannot do it. Also, we did further investigation and looks like the polarization was not changed on NX9. It looks that the main problem is a screen, which always was an issue, we cannot predict how the screens will and if they will retain polarization.
Questions:
Could you please rotate the glasses 90 degree and tell me if you see increase in brightness?
Do you also see increase in ghosting or just the light loss"

I think I saw a post from Mississippi man that he had verbal conformation from JVC that it had been changed to vertical and the site would be updated to reflect this. Anyone have some definitive info on all this?
post #5643 of 16505 Old 02-14-2019, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 5039 Post(s)
Liked: 3277
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
The video that kicked this off a few days ago was a single line of white text on a black background. I don't think anyone has reported a case that wasn't low ADL with the exception of some early RS3000 reviews weeks ago in which case yes, for them it was going yellow any time you turned on DI. I guess it's time to break out some test patterns. Above what % ADL would you expect there to not be a noticeable shift toward yellow?
Yea if it's the equivalent of one end credit name on a full black background, that's exactly how my RS640 behaves. In that case it's not a bug and people are making a big deal over nothing.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5644 of 16505 Old 02-14-2019, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked: 2182
I really, really like JVC products , BUT " By Christ ! " there is a ridiculous amount of "Defective" units this time round!!!
Spizz, jherring69, Wookii and 2 others like this.
post #5645 of 16505 Old 02-14-2019, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
How do you know that? All logic dictates probably the exact opposite, as well as borne out by actual dealer stats - a handful of defective units out of hundreds shipped. That is actually very typical of online forums and reviews, btw.
"A handful"? Read through all of the existing owners posts; the overwhelming majority of new o w n e r s posting are reporting problems and defects with their brand new projectors right out of the box.

If there are "hundreds" of satisfied customers as you suggest, where are all of their glowing reviews? Where are all of the glowing professional reviews?

Sure there have been a few, but like I said earlier, they are the exception, the "fortunate few" and even some of these initially "happy owners" are reporting a number of problems and issues concerning the DI, yellow instead of white text, noisy irises, inherent "issues" resulting in their not being able to properly calibrate their projectors because of issues that are beyond their ability to correct or compensate for, etc... after their initial "new toy" euphoria has cooled and they have had the opportunity to step back and objectively examine their projectors performance.

All of this is hardly reassuring, neither does it instill confidence. At this point it seems like a "crap shoot" where customers who have shelled out up to $13,000 dollars have to "hope" that they are one of the lucky, fortune few who get one of the "good ones". And even then they don't know if in a month or two they are going to have to take their 50 pound projector down, repackage it and ship it back to JVC.

One NX7/3000 owner on this thread has already reported shippng back 100 pounds of defective projectors. Oh joy.

I really wanted this roll out to go well seeing as I, like so many others have also been waiting for JVC to release their native 4k projector's so that I could upgrade and replace my SONY 1080p projector with a JVC.

Because of SONY Corps. deceptive and deceitful handeling of their widely known and confirmed "panel degradation" issues across their entire projector lines for well over a decade, I swore that I would never, ever buy another SONY projector, and I won't.

That said, I, along with many others here on AVS staunchly refuse to any longer be an unpaid, "early adopter" beta tester guinea pigs for a billion dollar AV company at my own expense.

Half-baked tech, costing the consumer thousands of dollars, that is "not ready for prime time" shouldn't be rushed to release and market with the idea being that the bugs will be ironed out later on after they have been discovered by users in the wild.

Thanks, but no thanks... been there, done that and those days are over.

Like many others, I will sit this one out until JVC gets its poverbial act together and releases 4K projectors that work properly right out of the box, instead of this seeming current game of consumer Russian Roulette.
post #5646 of 16505 Old 02-14-2019, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:

It was my video and I can run this test with decreasing size of white rectangle filling up the screen. I wouldn't know how to calculate the ADL, but atleast we can figure out at what % area of white:black ratio the phenomenon occurs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #5647 of 16505 Old 02-14-2019, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Come on, people

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
BUT, as you say, how strong does it need to be? I just found it interesting as I have not yet seen a production item (let alone a very high dollar production item) that was 3d printed.

Plus it is fun to point out that a $9,000 product is made up of about a nickel's worth of plastic filament and some glass, lol.
I’m with you, dkersten; I see people here being VERY forgiving of Panamorph despite their pricing rising from $1500 a decade and a half ago to $9K now with, if anything, a decrease in build quality. Now I get that the optics are the MOST important thing, but forgiving a filament 3D printed (not even SLA!) casing using that argument is like saying the engine is the most important thing so it’s fine that your new Mercedes has wood bench seats. :P

While at the same time, these Panamorph fans are EXTREMELY critical of the smallest imperfections in their projectors. Priorities, I guess.

JVC DLA-NX9 / 156" 2.4:1 CIH Seymour AT screen / Marantz AV7704 11.2 / Yamaha MX-A5000 11-ch amp
HTPC MadVR RTX 2080 / 24TB PMS Server (direct UHD rips)
Adam A8X monitor LCR / RBH A-610 x 8 / Kef Ci160ER x 4 / HSU ULS-15
Secondary: Samsung UN82MU8000 / Marantz NR1607 AVR / Kef Q150 + Minx Min 10 / SVS SB-2000
post #5648 of 16505 Old 02-14-2019, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post
You are not alone in your "doubts", they apear to be valid.

Sadly, I fear that JVC may provide Arrow with "cherry picked" production units that JVC has gone over with a fine tooth comb because of the previous disasters of batting ZERO, for ZERO in two out of two different model production units.

JVC literally can't afford for Arrow to receive a third defective projector = "three strikes and you're out". Therefore, what ever Arrow reports, finds or concludes may be suspect because the projectors he receives probably won't reflect reality since guaranteed, most customers new projectors won't receive the same level of scrutiny and "quality control".

So far this roll out of JVC's highly anticipated 4K projection line has been a pr disaster. Just read through the owner posts; problem, defect free JVC 4K projectors have been the overwhelming exception to the rule. This doesn't bode well or inspire confidence in potential buyers.

Sure you have defenders and those downplaying the potential seriousness of the situation here on AVS: ("all new production units have problems, it is to be expected"...etc.) but their excuses are suspect because there's "big money" and profits at stake.

Anyway we shall see what we shall see, only time will tell. That said, a lot of potential JVC 4K buyers, like myself are going to sit this one out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I will just say I am glad I sat this round out after my perception of everything I've read. My original plan was to sell my 790 last summer and get a 2000, but that would have been a loooong wait and who knows what kind of unit I would have received. These units feel like they were rushed IMO and needed more time/testing. Im sure they will turn out great eventually, but I'd be really annoyed right about now if I had a DI that was unusable among other things and it seems like an unusual amount of defective units out of the gate needing a swap.

Also still very curious why Zombie hasnt reported back.
I preordered my RS2000 in December so I'm not expecting to see it until March but that's okay with me. It just gives JVC time to gets the bugs out. I think that we hear about the defective issues 100x more as people keep rehashing them. Most people receiving good units never comment or aren't even on the forums so I think that we all need to stop overreacting to the bad news. No time to waste as there is no guarantee of a tomorrow for any of us to enjoy. I for one can't wait to get my RS2000. I'm really looking forward to being able to add a Paladin DCR lens as soon as possible too.
mavromatis, Drem, JeffR1 and 1 others like this.

Theater Room - JVC RS2000, Dalite 148" Scope, Pioneer SC-65, Panasonic UB820, Energy APS 5+2(2), Energy AC 300(1), Energy CR-3(4), PSA 15"Sub(2)
Sports Room - JVC RS4810, Dalite 106" 16:9, Onkyo TX-SR875, Oppo BDP-103, Energy C-7(2) w/Energy S8.2(2), Energy C-C3(1) w/Energy S10.2(1), Energy CR-3(3), Energy S12.3
post #5649 of 16505 Old 02-14-2019, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisLJacob View Post
You seem to be a very good troll. You may not like Sony, but so far you keep posting the same "the sky is falling" stories.
Not a troll, but a long term AVS member who genuinely cares about long term AVS members and first time projector "newbies", who doesn't want fellow AVS members to get burned.

AVS is a community, and as such, we are supposed to look out for each other. That's how it has been up until now.

As far as "the sky is falling", just read through all of the anticipation, and owner's posts as I have. Thus far, what is being reported by numerous owners and professional reviewers like Arrow-AV, who is batting ZERO for ZERO out of two different production models he received, does not instill any confidence whatsoever.

At this point it appears to be nothing more than a "crap shoot" in the off chance that you MAY be one of the "fortunate few" who end up with "a good one". And even some of these owners are now reporting "issues" with their DI, "yellow text", purple doughnuts, and a total inability to properly calibrate their projectors basic white ballance after a short period of use... Sounds pretty serious to me.

Does that mean "the sky is falling"? I don't know, but it sure sounds like a pr nightmare.
post #5650 of 16505 Old 02-14-2019, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haalik123 View Post
Xpand is giving me some grief on this subject, I have 4 pairs of the Xpand X105-RF-X3 (Horizontal) I'm trying to return, exchanging for 2 pairs of the vertical models with the Dual play for gaming, guess we'll see if that works. They are saying that JVC is telling them that the orientation of the new NX line is the same Horizontal as the previous models,

[email protected]
Feb 13, 2019, 9:45 PM (1 day ago)

"Unfortunately we cannot do it. Also, we did further investigation and looks like the polarization was not changed on NX9. It looks that the main problem is a screen, which always was an issue, we cannot predict how the screens will and if they will retain polarization.
Questions:
Could you please rotate the glasses 90 degree and tell me if you see increase in brightness?
Do you also see increase in ghosting or just the light loss"

I think I saw a post from Mississippi man that he had verbal conformation from JVC that it had been changed to vertical and the site would be updated to reflect this. Anyone have some definitive info on all this?

I got this info from "Xpand"
If you will use a JVC NX9 projector, our standard glasses is X105-RF-X1(please note that such a price difference is because of the polarization that had to be adapted for JVC projectors). This model is also suitable for EPSON RF projectors.
MOberhardt likes this.

Last edited by riddle; 02-14-2019 at 11:50 PM.
post #5651 of 16505 Old 02-15-2019, 12:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
Totally agree with you. The only issue I have is that of the yellow iris. But it should be an easy software fix... Atleast that is what all the experts say. But even with the yellowing in some scenes the picture is phenomenal and I would not return it.

Would it have been good if the image was perfect from the get go? Yes. But I got a hefty 2K discount and a free lamp, and the only other projector that was comparable was Sony 695 and that is 2K+ more expensive and had worse contrasts

Inn other words we simply have no other alternative to the NX7 at its price range and performance
Hey, curious. What are the brightest scenes for you that turn yellow? It sounds like your yellow issue and others may be different and now people think they have some big yellowing problem when its really just something like a single white word on an end credit type black screen. It seems like you were actually reporting something quite different though?

As I said already, even the RS640 would cause white text to yellowize when the iris super clamped down. This was the "end credits pumping" people would complain about and isn't really a bug nor is it something that should be fixed. But your situation sounded a bit different if I remember? It even sounded like yours got yellow when the menu popped up? Others were saying the yellow would go away when the menu popped up, which is also correct, expected behavior because that brightens the screen and causes the iris to open more.

I think we are mixing up several issues:

- Issue #1 : A single bit of white on black will go a bit yellow when dynamic iris super clamps down. It's a tradeoff to get that super black. Worth it in my opinion. Not a bug.

- Issue #2 : Someone here reported that enabling the DI caused the whole screen to take on a more yellow hue no matter what was being displayed on the screen. Bright scenes still took on the more yellow tint. This is definitely not expected behavior. It is also much different than #1 .

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #5652 of 16505 Old 02-15-2019, 01:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Would someone mind pasting me that video link again? I want to see if it's the same thing that would trigger the RS640.

post #5653 of 16505 Old 02-15-2019, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Welcome to Molehill Mountain

Quote:
At this point it appears to be nothing more than a "crap shoot" in the off chance that you MAY be one of the "fortunate few" who end up with "a good one". And even some of these owners are now reporting "issues" with their DI, "yellow text", purple doughnuts, and a total inability to properly calibrate their projectors basic white ballance after a short period of use... Sounds pretty serious to me.
Many have lost all reason: they don’t think, they just react. Gut instinct and opinion have replaced facts, viral stories have replaced scientific inquiry. Anti-government, anti-corporate views turn a few bad units slipping past QC into “mostly defective” product that is “proof” of a conspiracy to defraud.

Like most conspiracy theories, it crumbles on scrutiny. What’s in it for JVC to knowingly ship a bad product? They’ve spent millions on development, marketing, parts, and labor; they then purposely ship faulty product so they can... pocket the money? No, they will have to spend millions more to take them back and build replacements and ship them. As their reward for losing millions, they get to take a HUGE hit to their reputation, future sales, and stock prices. And IF it’s as bad as you claim, the C-suite will be fired by the Board. So what’s in it for them to do what you’re saying they’re doing? THINK. Use your brain, not just your gut.

We’re not even talking DOA units. We’re talking about a purple glow at the bottom or purple donuts which could be could be minor problems introduced during shipping, and a slightly yellow cast when the DI is used. But a few are being replaced for noisy DIs, and some are still be enjoying their “bad” units while awaiting replacements. NOT catastrophic.

Think what you want, sit it out if you want, but I’m going in. A smart company like JVC wouldn’t have shipped them unless they were confident the product was good with a reasonable (but non-zero) failure rate.

JVC DLA-NX9 / 156" 2.4:1 CIH Seymour AT screen / Marantz AV7704 11.2 / Yamaha MX-A5000 11-ch amp
HTPC MadVR RTX 2080 / 24TB PMS Server (direct UHD rips)
Adam A8X monitor LCR / RBH A-610 x 8 / Kef Ci160ER x 4 / HSU ULS-15
Secondary: Samsung UN82MU8000 / Marantz NR1607 AVR / Kef Q150 + Minx Min 10 / SVS SB-2000
post #5654 of 16505 Old 02-15-2019, 03:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Who should get the review units? I know there is one complete review out there. There would be 2 had Arrow gotten a good piece.
I know that you lent a unit to Chad B and that was a start. I can think of Kris Deering, Zombie, Art at Projector Reviews, Projector Central as a start in the US.
I would also like to see Ekie at Cine 4 Home do a tear down in Germany. We are not talking of a vast number of units. I would also want them to come from regular stock.
post #5655 of 16505 Old 02-15-2019, 04:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Ok, got another info from Hi-SHOCK Europe

Hi, yes we heared in the last weeks about this change by jvc. So new 4k 3d projectors from jvc will again have 0° degree polarization. Actually all of these glasses of us have 0° degree polarisation too:
https://www.hi-shock.de/3d-brillen/?p=1&o=3&n=14&f=32 (just not the high diamond as you know).
post #5656 of 16505 Old 02-15-2019, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6583 Post(s)
Liked: 6579
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
My dealer placed the order in October.
Should not be long then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
I really, really like JVC products , BUT " By Christ ! " there is a ridiculous amount of "Defective" units this time round!!!
I counted 4 total. 2 had the same issue. The other two are completely different. These are units that are unusable. This is what I have seen, I could have missed a few as well. How many did you count?
ultra 150 pilot likes this.

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 02-15-2019 at 02:53 PM.
post #5657 of 16505 Old 02-15-2019, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked: 2181
Quote:
I counted 4 total. 2 had the same issue. The other two are completely different. How many did you count?
I don't know how you only got to 4? I'm sure its far more if you count the issues Karl pointed out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKlammer View Post
But on the other hand, if we get them sooner and would have to deal with blooming, streaking, clicking irises, color splotches, blue stripes, uncorrectable convergence or yellow tints while using the DI we wouldn't be much happier.
I'm a huge fan of JVC projectors, and I'm sure they'll get all these issues ironed out in the long run, but I agree with Woofer, the instances of issues with this new generation, is far higher than I've seen before from JVC. At the moment it feels like a bit of a game of roulette as to whether you get a unit that suffers from one or more of those issues.
Spizz, Gary Lightfoot and woofer like this.
post #5658 of 16505 Old 02-15-2019, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
Many have lost all reason: they don’t think, they just react. Gut instinct and opinion have replaced facts, viral stories have replaced scientific inquiry. Anti-government, anti-corporate views turn a few bad units slipping past QC into “mostly defective” product that is “proof” of a conspiracy to defraud.

Like most conspiracy theories, it crumbles on scrutiny. What’s in it for JVC to knowingly ship a bad product? They’ve spent millions on development, marketing, parts, and labor; they then purposely ship faulty product so they can... pocket the money? No, they will have to spend millions more to take them back and build replacements and ship them. As their reward for losing millions, they get to take a HUGE hit to their reputation, future sales, and stock prices. And IF it’s as bad as you claim, the C-suite will be fired by the Board. So what’s in it for them to do what you’re saying they’re doing? THINK. Use your brain, not just your gut.

We’re not even talking DOA units. We’re talking about a purple glow at the bottom or purple donuts which could be could be minor problems introduced during shipping, and a slightly yellow cast when the DI is used. But a few are being replaced for noisy DIs, and some are still be enjoying their “bad” units while awaiting replacements. NOT catastrophic.

Think what you want, sit it out if you want, but I’m going in. A smart company like JVC wouldn’t have shipped them unless they were confident the product was good with a reasonable (but non-zero) failure rate.
"What's in it for JVC?"

You answered your own question: they've spent M I L L I O N S OF DOLLARS in development and production.

Now your "many have lost all reason", "conspiracy theory" accusation falls flat on its face when you assume that JVC would repair, buy back or replace all of the projectors if it is a defective projector run/line.

The AVS forums are littered with thousands of customer complaints and reports of AV companies sticking them with defective production products with known issues that have never been resolved.

I only know of just one AV company that was honorable and took such action, ...just one, and that was ONKYO when they PUBLICALLY ACKNOWLEDGED THE PROBLEM EXISTED IN WRITING and took this action in response to the defective HDMI boards across their entire receiver and pre-pro lines. They stepped up to the plate and extended their full factory wattanty for existing owners from 2 years to almost ten! It cost ONKYO MILLIONS of dollars, but gained them a very loyal fanbase and following. How many other companies have done this? Cue the crickets.

Because they acted honorably, like many others I ended up remaining a customer and recently purchased a new ONKYO RZ5100 AV preamp instead of bailing to another brand.

But like I said, ONKYO is the exception to the rule. The number of AV companies that have PUBLICLY ACKNOWLEDGED A PROBLEM EXISTS IN WRITING and then went on to rectify said issue is few and far between ...ONE that I know of.

Heck, at this point JVC has kept everyone in the dark as to the exact reason, or reasons why they halted their entire 4K projector production run; and if their past performance is any indication, we, the consuming public will never know the answer to that question. All we have been left with is speculation and conjecture, nothing more.

Therefore, how can anyone be assured that said "problems and issues" have been fixed or rectified, when JVC hasn't even publically acknowledged they even exist? What assurance do we have? None, zip, nada.

As for your assumption and "hope" that they would step up to the plate, act honorably and have to "spend millions of dollars" building brand new units and replacing the defective ones, I have one word and example for you of another company that never has: SONY Corp.

SONY has known for well over a decade that their ENTIRE lamp based projector line, ACROSS THE BOARD have defective panel degradation issues but they kept producing and selling them anyway.

There is a literal mountain of evidence provided by a plethora of owners, and professional reviewers. But SONY Corp has never, ever publically acknowledged the problem exists, and they never will because to do so would cost them hundreds of millions of dollars. That's not a "conspiracy theory", that's not people here on AVS "losing all reason"... that's REALITY, that's thousands of AVS members who are stuck with defective SONY projectors after spending thousands and tens of thousands of dollars with no recourse because, according to SONY Corp. The panel degradation problem doesn't even exist!

So it is not unreasonable for AVS members to raise valid concerns, sit this one out, or to have serious reservations about jumping on the JVC 4K early adopter band wagon, taking a chance, and buying one in the hopes that they may be one of the fortunate few who get a good one, especially in light of what has taken place and been reported thus far.

It's not a "conspiracy theory"; it's called prudence, based upon past experience.
rwestley likes this.

Last edited by Jmouse007; 02-15-2019 at 05:29 AM.
post #5659 of 16505 Old 02-15-2019, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 249
@wookii
I think, my listing misses noisy fans.
I don't have statistics. It feels definitly more than 6 units.
Maybe all those reports combined with 5 months open end waiting time for my NX9 make me lose my objectivity.
Wookii, loggeo and jorgebetancourt like this.

Projection: JVC DLA-NX9
VP/Calibration: Lumagen Radiance Pro, LightSpace CMS, x-rite i1 Pro 2, x-rite i1 Display 3

Last edited by KarlKlammer; 02-15-2019 at 05:46 AM.
post #5660 of 16505 Old 02-15-2019, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Happy to report that the free bulb for my NX7 arrived safely, less than 2 weeks after I mailed the form. The bulb is the correct model (PK-L2618UW) and is undamaged (externally) on visual examination.

I continue to try to find the yellow glitch, but have not been able to identify so far. I asked a few days ago whether any of those with the issue had run Autocal or were all of the units with the issue out of the box. To date, no one has responded. I think that it's an important variable to identify, so please let this community know. Thanks!

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A3080 (2 discrete 7.2.4 speaker layouts: Dolby Atmos & DTS:X), Panasonic UB820, Oppo 103D, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, TiVo Bolt Vox, Vandersteen Model 3 Signatures & VCC-1 Signature, SVS SB-2000 (2), Clark Synthesis Tactile Bass Transducers (2), Polk PSW-12
post #5661 of 16505 Old 02-15-2019, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Should not be long then.

I counted 4 total. 2 had the same issue. The other two are completely different. How many did you count?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
I don't know how you only got to 4? I'm sure its far more if you count the issues Karl pointed out:
Yeah I mean just off the top of my head I remember,
2 from arrow
2 purple bands at the bottom
2 bad iris
1 yellow donut
1 purple donut
1 masssive convergence problem

Then the yellow problem which is probably fixable by firmware. That's a lot of problems posted in this owners thread for something that is slowly leaking out release. I still have mine sitting on preorder from September and I agree with Karl and Wookii I feel like I am playing roulette getting a good model which is crazy for how expensive these projectors are.
rwestley, KarlKlammer and loggeo like this.

Last edited by grendelrt; 02-15-2019 at 05:54 AM.
post #5662 of 16505 Old 02-15-2019, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Quote:
Not a troll, but a long term AVS member who genuinely cares about long term AVS members and first time projector "newbies", who doesn't want fellow AVS members to get burned.

AVS is a community, and as such, we are supposed to look out for each other. That's how it has been up until now.

As far as "the sky is falling", just read through all of the anticipation, and owner's posts as I have. Thus far, what is being reported by numerous owners and professional reviewers like Arrow-AV, who is batting ZERO for ZERO out of two different production models he received, does not instill any confidence whatsoever.

Does that mean "the sky is falling"? I don't know, but it sure sounds like a pr nightmare.
I confess I might have foolishly missed a troll alert. If you are not then surely ignorant of the world and how it works. Do you know what proportion of actual customers a forum represents? Are you aware of the well known fact that MOST people who have no issues simply do not post online and that complaints by a few are amplified exponentially in social media? Oh well, troll is more likely.
Brandon B and DennisLJacob like this.
post #5663 of 16505 Old 02-15-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
I confess I might have foolishly missed a troll alert. If you are not then surely ignorant of the world and how it works. Do you know what proportion of actual customers a forum represents? Are you aware of the well known fact that MOST people who have no issues simply do not post online and that complaints by a few are amplified exponentially in social media? Oh well, troll is more likely.
That's why AVSForum provides us with the "IGNORE" option.
post #5664 of 16505 Old 02-15-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Heck, at this point JVC has kept everyone in the dark as to the exact reason, or reasons why they halted their entire 4K projector production run; and if their past performance is any indication, we, the consuming public will never know the answer to that question. All we have been left with is speculation and conjecture, nothing more.

Therefore, how can anyone be assured that said "problems and issues" have been fixed or rectified, when JVC hasn't even publically acknowledged they even exist? What assurance do we have? None, zip, nada.

As for your assumption and "hope" that they would step up to the plate, act honorably and have to "spend millions of dollars" building brand new units and replacing the defective ones, I have one word and example for you of another company that never has: SONY Corp.
It's no one's concern exactly what was wrong that halted the production line. Customers dont get to micro manage every aspect of a product's development. It's up to the company to produce a good product and up to the customer to decide if he wants it. It's that simple. If you can't trust the company, dont buy. JVC is not Sony. JVC has never been known to stick their customers and service has always been good.

post #5665 of 16505 Old 02-15-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post

Then the yellow problem which is probably fixable by firmware. That's a lot of problems posted in this owners thread for something that is slowly leaking out release. I still have mine sitting on preorder from September and I agree with Karl and Wookii I feel like I am playing roulette getting a good model which is crazy for how expensive these projectors are.
I'm still pretty sure there is no yellow problem.

post #5666 of 16505 Old 02-15-2019, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
I'm still pretty sure there is no yellow problem.
There was one video where someone did a large centered white box (test patten size at least) that completely turned yellow on iris use, that can't be normal, but I do think that one is correctable via firmware.
post #5667 of 16505 Old 02-15-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2034 Post(s)
Liked: 1304
Quote:

You could be right, but as has been said before it's to early to really say. If you've read through the posts in the threads you say you have, doesn't the fact that your posts are about the only ones that have this alarmist tone stick out?

My take so far is we are seeing things slip through QC as JVC scrambles to fill their orders after the initial delay. Projectors have absolutely been calibrated just fine, what I've seen is there seems to be issues with the current AutoCal software that need to be addressed. The DI issue is, by deductive reasoning, a software issue that should be addressable.

Do we all wish that these issues didn't exist? Of course. Is it uncommon for a major new product to have things needing ironed out? No. I think your heart is in the right place to caution people about the potential problems, but what JVC brings us in the next few months will really prove if there are issues endemic to the overall design or if this simply the teething period for their new chassis. So rather than throw around dramatic hyperbole like "PR nightmare" I'd suggest we wait until there is enough data to actually say the product has real problems or if this is a company making some missteps on a major launch.
seanbryan, mikela, Drem and 1 others like this.

Last edited by jeahrens; 02-15-2019 at 06:58 AM.
post #5668 of 16505 Old 02-15-2019, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
It was my video and I can run this test with decreasing size of white rectangle filling up the screen. I wouldn't know how to calculate the ADL, but atleast we can figure out at what % area of white:black ratio the phenomenon occurs
That's all that ADL is - the average brightness. If you are using 100% white content on a black background it will be the percentage of image comprised of that white content. See here for a description and some test patterns at various ADLs: http://projectiondream.com/en/movie-...-measurements/

Quote:
Would someone mind pasting me that video link again? I want to see if it's the same thing that would trigger the RS640.
Original post with video

Follow-up post with screen shots

Also, not that it matters here but I realized in reviewing the past threads that the RS3000 yellowing issue was tied to eShift, not the DI.
post #5669 of 16505 Old 02-15-2019, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Quote:

It's no one's concern exactly what was wrong that halted the production line. Customers dont get to micro manage every aspect of a product's development. It's up to the company to produce a good product and up to the customer to decide if he wants it. It's that simple. If you can't trust the company, dont buy. JVC is not Sony. JVC has never been known to stick their customers and service has always been good.
I have nothing but great things to say about JVC and their customer service and how they have handled my X790 issues.

I honestly believe that JVC stands behind their products and will always work their hardest to make things right!
post #5670 of 16505 Old 02-15-2019, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
Quote:
Should not be long then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Yeah I mean just off the top of my head I remember,
2 from arrow
2 purple bands at the bottom
2 bad iris
1 yellow donut
1 purple donut
1 masssive convergence problem

So you have 9 projector issues listed out of how many? I think people need to keep in mind that we AVS member make up a small portion of worldwide.

This could be a relatively small amount of defective projectors in the overall scheme of things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page