Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 190 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16686Likes

post #5671 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 341
[QUOTE=mavromatis;57606848]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post
If there are "hundreds" of satisfied customers as you suggest, where are all of their glowing reviews? Where are all of the glowing professional reviews?/QUOTE]

They are probably enjoying them... unfortunately it seems most people post about issues not how great things are.
People always write about issues and don’t write about how great things are. This has always been the way!

And most people that are complaining about how bad these projectors are don’t even own one so why is it even a big deal to them?
Jim Cutter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5672 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
So you have 9 projector issues listed out of how many? I think people need to keep in mind that we AVS member make up a small portion of worldwide.

This could be a relatively small amount of defective projectors in the overall scheme of things.
The world isn't the denominator, the users who post in this thread are. Those are issues posted by members on this forum that post in this thread. Of course there are hundreds of units out there, but a majority of those people probably don't know what AVS is and therefore can't post there issues here.

Either way, that is a lot of different defects reported on such a small launch. I am keeping my pre order currently only because I live in the USA where it seems they are doing more QA.
Is 9 defects really a lot? You have no idea how many units have shipped so this could be a small percentage.

Were you expecting this launch to have absolutely no issues? If so, I think you were fooling yourself.
post #5673 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12542 Post(s)
Liked: 10154
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
So you have 9 projector issues listed out of how many? I think people need to keep in mind that we AVS member make up a small portion of worldwide.

This could be a relatively small amount of defective projectors in the overall scheme of things.
Yep, when you consider that several hundred have shipped to the US and we are looking at people reporting issues from several different countries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5674 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
"A handful"? Read through all of the existing owners posts; the overwhelming majority of new o w n e r s posting are reporting problems and defects with their brand new projectors right out of the box.

If there are "hundreds" of satisfied customers as you suggest, where are all of their glowing reviews? Where are all of the glowing professional reviews?
I am very happy with my RS3000...ecstatic even. I have even began to to upgrade my HTPC to take full advantage of the capabilities of the incredible image it throws.

There is another local owner I know that got his first (I think he said he was the second actual owner in the US) and after seeing his, it made me run to AVAD so I could get mine.

I spoke with him and he feels the same way that I do about why no new owners are not posting reviews...First, they are just enjoying their machines and watching tons of movies...but more importantly...

Quote:
Not a troll, but a long term AVS member who genuinely cares about long term AVS members and first time projector "newbies", who doesn't want fellow AVS members to get burned.

Does that mean "the sky is falling"? I don't know, but it sure sounds like a pr nightmare.
This community has become a very hostile environment full of "trolls" that don't even own the very machine they are trolling about...heck, they haven't even seen one in person.

The old adage is that forums usually consist of the 5% of people having issues while the other 95% are having too much fun enjoying them and don't have time to post how great they are till the honeymoon has worn off.

This hostility has, or is slowly, driving away some of the most knowledgeable people. The ones that have the experience and expertise, also the people that can put 2-to-4,000 hours on a projector each year, to make these forums helpful. Those are the people I want to talk to...not someone that has pretty much said, on numerous occasions, that he will NOT buy one.

I know of several new owners that posted a single review on this thread and were pretty much blasted by nay-sayers and they haven't posted a single word since.

So yeah, in my opinion, you are acting like a troll. A person that "genuinely cares about long term AVS members and first time projector "newbies", who doesn't want fellow AVS members to get burned." would not critic a product that he/she does not own, has never seen, and who is only echoing the bad experiences of that very vocal 5%.

/rantoff
post #5675 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 663
I am so glad that I paid a lot of money for the worst projector in the history of projectors that has nothing but problems and throws a crappy picture......

I sure hope the average person does not read this forum without context. I know from good authority that well over 100 units have shipped in the US alone. There are at least 10 people here who have issues and VERY FEW of them limited their ability to have a great picture and I don't think I have heard of any of them that did not even turn on. I am pretty sure I have not heard of an issue that should not be able to be fixed by firmware except for the dust in the lens etc.

JVC has proven to me that I am glad I bought this new launch and not Sony or Optima or....because I have owned them. And as you will see I what the first owner on here of the UHD65 and started the thread. Want to talk about problems....AND you need to send it in to get a friggen firmware update. JVC to me stands behind their product more than any I have seen and this is my first.

If you are new to this forum be sure you are reading the owners of these projectors not people who do not and let alone haven't even seen the projector. There are problems so not minimizing them but also not blowing them out of proportion for a very complex product.

Now back to ranting about these projectors and JVC....

EDIT: Crap Mike beat me to it while I was typing and he corrected me to several hundred.....

Home Theater: JVC RS2000, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- PB-16 Ultra Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One, HTPC with MadVR, Qnap NAS
post #5676 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Is 9 defects really a lot? You have no idea how many units have shipped so this could be a small percentage.

Were you expecting this launch to have absolutely no issues? If so, I think you were fooling yourself.
I wouldnt expect no issues, and honestly the number doesnt bother me as much as the range of issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Yep, when you consider that several hundred have shipped to the US and we are looking at people reporting issues from several different countries.
You can't use the worldwide shipping as a denominator for issues reported specifically by a user group in one thread on a forum. The denominator is the members of this thread, period. We don't have that exact number but is probably substantially smaller than the worldwide shipment numbers.
post #5677 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I'm still pretty sure there is no yellow problem.
Brother I respect you .. <edited because it was not in tone keeping of this discussion> . I am telling you there is a Yellow problem, even the JVC USA customer service has escalated the pictures I uploaded here and sent to them to JVC Japan. Mike has done the same. So there is a yellow problem. You cant tell me that red looking more like orange when DI turns on is not a problem.

Edit: You are one of the most helpful contributor on this forum - so I don't write the above with any sense of disrespect or vitriol. Apologies I this comes across as combative - that is not my intent.

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)

Last edited by tommarra; 02-15-2019 at 07:32 AM.
post #5678 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The world isn't the denominator, the users who post in this thread are. Those are issues posted by members on this forum that post in this thread. Of course there are hundreds of units out there, but a majority of those people probably don't know what AVS is and therefore can't post there issues here.

Either way, that is a lot of different defects reported on such a small launch. I am keeping my pre order currently only because I live in the USA where it seems they are doing more QA.
Only flaw in this theory is that actually the average person that is not in the industry in some way will come here for help ideas and buying decisions, get their unit and then may not be back for months or years unless they have a problem to fix.

Home Theater: JVC RS2000, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- PB-16 Ultra Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One, HTPC with MadVR, Qnap NAS
post #5679 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Stats for Stats sake

Just playing devils' advocate here before anyone bites my head off, but if you take Arrow's situation, it doesn't look good.

2 units received, both have 'significant' issues.

From a UK perspective, to have 2 samples of different models delivered to one of the most highly-regarded dealers here, & both are lemons, can't be good in anyone's book, just sayin.....
SpykeSIK likes this.
post #5680 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
If there are "hundreds" of satisfied customers as you suggest, where are all of their glowing reviews?
My RS2000 is nearly perfect. I didn't realize it was even possible to have an image this good in my home theater. Completely blown away.

My only issue is the yellow shift with DI engaged on low ADL content which may just be how it works. It's certainly not a dealbreaker for me and if it is a defect it seems like one which could be addressed in software.
post #5681 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
Only flaw in this theory is that actually the average person that is not in the industry in some way will come here for help ideas and buying decisions, get their unit and then may not be back for months or years unless they have a problem to fix.
Agreed that its definitely not a great statistical model, but people keep using worldwide shipments as their go to as the source of the reported issues on AVS, and that is 100% not correct and is misinformation. As of right now we have 9 or more issues reported from AVS members who post in this thread , that is the current outlook as far as this thread is concerned.
post #5682 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I wouldnt expect no issues, and honestly the number doesnt bother me as much as the range of issues.

You can't use the worldwide shipping as a denominator for issues reported specifically by a user group in one thread on a forum. The denominator is the members of this thread, period. We don't have that exact number but is probably substantially smaller than the worldwide shipment numbers.
And you do not have a clue how many AVSF form members have purchased. My guess would be close to 100 and my guess would be a lot better than yours. People with problems are a lot more likely to post, than people without problems. Also I don't think every problem that has been reported is a manufacturing problem. I think some of them have to come from shipping, rough handling of the packages. But proving that can be difficult.
David Mathews, Reddig and coxy2416 like this.
post #5683 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
And you do not have a clue how many AVSF form members have purchased. My guess would be close to 100 and my guess would be a lot better than yours. People with problems are a lot more likely to post, than people without problems.
Yeah I literally said that in my post, and you proved exactly what I said, 100 would be the denominator for the defect rate in that case and is much smaller than the worldwide shipment number. Its still not statistically significant enough to give a defect rate but it more accurate than saying out of the worldwide shipment as you and other keep doing.

Last edited by grendelrt; 02-15-2019 at 07:42 AM.
post #5684 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickb1965 View Post
Just playing devils' advocate here before anyone bites my head off, but if you take Arrow's situation, it doesn't look good.

2 units received, both have 'significant' issues.

From a UK perspective, to have 2 samples of different models delivered to one of the most highly-regarded dealers here, & both are lemons, can't be good in anyone's book, just sayin.....
Yea, JVC really needs to have a second QC process like the US in the rest of the world some how. It does seem like the law of averages outside of the US is worse. There may be a big container of units going back to JVC from the US but if most of us here have a decent projector so be it. It's not like they are selling a not as complex Apple TV product...Oh wait that stupid little thing has a lot of problems too.
loggeo likes this.

post #5685 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Yeah I literally said that in my post, and you proved exactly what I said, 100 is much smaller than the worldwide shipment number.
That is my guess on forum members, not US shipping. Also you don't think some of this is not from rough handling of the boxes? I would think anything with convergence so far off that it could not be brought back by the adjustments, would pretty much have to be, but proving it can be difficult.
post #5686 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I literally said that in my post, and you proved exactly what I said, 100 is much smaller than the worldwide shipment number.
That is my guess on forum members, not US shipping. Also you don't think some of this is not from rough handling of the boxes? I would think anything with convergence so far off that it could not be brought back by the adjustments, would pretty much have to be, but proving it can be difficult.
This is how I received my X790 from purolator. Shipping companies are not careful with their shipments and are surely at fault for some issues
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C0E684F1-CFC3-4421-825B-A69072536A0E_1550245516897.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	2525974   Click image for larger version

Name:	56068BBF-6611-4A0A-BE6B-DA4E28B35A3C_1550245544272.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	2525976  
davidahn likes this.
post #5687 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I do believe some of its due to shipment damage, that's why I have kept my pre-order in the USA due to the QA checks prior to pallet shipment. If people are going to talk about the defect rate as reported in this thread I just want it to be correct, and using worldwide shipments is not correct. I want the members of this thread to get the correct information when they are making decisions.
post #5688 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I had my projector held for pickup at the UPS distribution center thinking that I did not want the end driver throwing it around and on my door step. Walked in and there it is on it's side with a bunch of crap on top of it and you could tell even there they were just throwing that thing around.

I wonder if FedX treats things any better.
davidahn likes this.

post #5689 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniv View Post
Day 2 of checking out the RS2000 and I am still amazed. What a fantastic device

https://soundcloud.com/aniv-das/home-3m4a-1

Does anyone have this rattling sound when on high lamp mode (put your volume to the max as my phone think its ambient noise and tries to cancel it out) the rattling noise like something inside is shaking (the fan blowing in high RPM sound is normal).

Dealer is aware of the issue and working on a replacement when possible.

Screen recording of a youtube video (not proper settings but you get the idea):

https://youtu.be/LURRX-b0x4E
Yes, I was shocked that your convergence was still good, considering your projector was drug down the delivery truck step, allowing one end to just drop and then after picked up, the projector was actually dropped to the concrete driveway by the delivery guy. Like I said, I think rough handling by delivery people are part of the problem, since the boxes are a lot bigger and heavier than last year. We are looking at 50 plus pounds and once double boxed, 28" x 28" x 20". Hard to prove if mishandled, but every now and then you get lucky.
Dave Vaughn, aniv and coxy2416 like this.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 02-15-2019 at 08:00 AM.
post #5690 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I had my projector held for pickup at the UPS distribution center thinking that I did not want the end driver throwing it around and on my door step. Walked in and there it is on it's side with a bunch of crap on top of it and you could tell even there they were just throwing that thing around.

I can stop your wondering. No they do not.
post #5691 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

ADL patterns and Yellowing due to Auto Iris as ADL levels

Based on the suggestion from markmon1 and mattztt, I tested my NX7 at various ADL levels.

As you can (hopefully) see at ~10% ADL the difference in Auto and Manual starts to be negligible and at 20% there is no difference.

All pictures taken with a Canon 5D Mark III and an L lamp - so that is as good as I can take with my current gear.

Also took a video of screen going from full black to full white (Iris fully clamped to fully open) that show how dramatic the Yellowing of the Auto Iris is. Video was shot on iPhone XS.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AlvdMbnqRAsKgaxlHNGfIi1Mrt50aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
That's all that ADL is - the average brightness. If you are using 100% white content on a black background it will be the percentage of image comprised of that white content. See here for a description and some test patterns at various ADLs: http://projectiondream.com/en/movie-...-measurements/
Thanks for the link to the patterns. Would have been a pain to create them myself :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D. Manual Iris 2 percent alternate.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	2525994   Click image for larger version

Name:	D. Auto Iris 2 2 percent alternate.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	2525996   Click image for larger version

Name:	C. Manual Iris 2 percent.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	2525998   Click image for larger version

Name:	C. Auto Iris 2 2 percent.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	2526000   Click image for larger version

Name:	B. Manual Iris 1 percent.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	2526002  

Name:	B. Auto Iris 2 1percent.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	2526004   Click image for larger version

Name:	A. Manual Iris 1 percent -alternate.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	2526006   Click image for larger version

Name:	A. Auto Iris 2 1 percent.jpg
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	2526008   Click image for larger version

Name:	I. Manual Iris 20 percent.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	2526010   Click image for larger version

Name:	N. Manual Iris Full Black.JPG
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	2526012  

Name:	N. Auto Iris Full Black.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	2526014   Click image for larger version

Name:	I. Auto Iris 20 percent.jpg
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	2526016   Click image for larger version

Name:	M. Manual Iris Full white.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	2526018   Click image for larger version

Name:	H. Manual Iris 10 percent alternate.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	2526020   Click image for larger version

Name:	M. Auto Iris 2 Full white.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	2526022  

Name:	H. Auto Iris 2 10 percent alternate.jpg
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	2526024   Click image for larger version

Name:	L. Manual Iris Ansi Alternate.JPG
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	2526026   Click image for larger version

Name:	G. Manual Iris 10 percent.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	2526028   Click image for larger version

Name:	L. Auto Iris 2 Ansi alternate.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	2526030   Click image for larger version

Name:	G. Auto Iris 10 percent.jpg
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	2526032  

Name:	K. Manual Iris Ansi 1.JPG
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	2526034   Click image for larger version

Name:	F. Manual Iris 5 percent alternate.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	2526036   Click image for larger version

Name:	F. Auto Iris 5 percent alternate.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	2526038   Click image for larger version

Name:	K. Auto Iris 2 Ansi 1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	2526040   Click image for larger version

Name:	E. Manual Iris 5 percent.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	2526042  

Name:	J. Manual Iris 20 percent alternate.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	2526044   Click image for larger version

Name:	E. Auto Iris 5 percent (2).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	2526046   Click image for larger version

Name:	J. Auto Iris 2 20 percent alternate.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	2526048  
Dave Vaughn, ccool96 and mattztt like this.

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)

Last edited by tommarra; 02-15-2019 at 08:44 AM.
post #5692 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Slight tweak to your definition of denominator: not just users who post, it's AVS Forum users who own one. Many happy campers are NOT posting, but I guarantee you every unhappy user is posting. So we cannot know the true rate of defects.

And I remind, most defects are minor. Not acceptable, but minor. And some are finicky owners with niggles.
grendelrt likes this.

JVC DLA-NX9 / 156" 2.4:1 CIH Seymour AT screen / Marantz AV7704 11.2 / Yamaha MX-A5000 11-ch amp
HTPC MadVR RTX 2080 / 24TB PMS Server (direct UHD rips)
Adam A8X monitor LCR / RBH A-610 x 8 / Kef Ci160ER x 4 / HSU ULS-15
Secondary: Samsung UN82MU8000 / Marantz NR1607 AVR / Kef Q150 + Minx Min 10 / SVS SB-2000
post #5693 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 08:38 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6680 Post(s)
Liked: 6676
Quote:

As for your assumption and "hope" that they would step up to the plate, act honorably and have to "spend millions of dollars" building brand new units and replacing the defective ones, I have one word and example for you of another company that never has: SONY Corp.
I feel Sony makes a good unit as well, I do remember light engine degradation though.........so never is a big word.
Quote:

They are the same as someone else noted, and if you wondered if damaged and rough treatment happens with commercial freight companies, yes it is the same as well even with high value stickers on them.....I tell people they could encase a unit in 1/4" plate steel, set the unit in the middle with compressed air and sooner or later a shipper will find a way to damage the unit. Great news is there is insurance that can be used and damages are around 1%.....
Reddig likes this.

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 02-15-2019 at 08:44 AM.
post #5694 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
Based on the suggestion from markmon1 and others, I tested my NX7 at various ADL levels.

As you can (hopefully) see at ~10% ADL the difference in Auto and Manual starts to be negligible and at 20% there is no difference.

All pictures taken with a Canon 5D Mark III and an L lamp - so that is as good as I can take with my current gear.

Also took a video of screen going from full black to full white (Iris fully clamped to fully open) that show how dramatic the Yellowing of the Auto Iris is. Video was shot on iPhone XS.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AlvdMbnqRAsKgaxlHNGfIi1Mrt50aw
Let me ask a technical question. I noticed this issue also and the same way.

Tommarra: did you notice when doing these patterns it seemed like when syncing on the picture it was correct and then went yellow?

People in the know: Would this also throw off Calman and Gamma and other calibration information?

I did and autocal gamma and it came out perfect and I did not have any issue. Not going to do a color for a while until we get a firmware update hopefully.

Picture is still great!

post #5695 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1466 Post(s)
Liked: 2288
This is what happens with delivery of packages:

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #5696 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Let me ask a technical question. I noticed this issue also and the same way.

Tommarra: did you notice when doing these patterns it seemed like when syncing on the picture it was correct and then went yellow?

People in the know: Would this also throw off Calman and Gamma and other calibration information?

I did and autocal gamma and it came out perfect and I did not have any issue. Not going to do a color for a while until we get a firmware update hopefully.

Picture is still great!
Yes. It starts out perfect with nice white colored whites :-) and then in a few miliseconds gets a yellow cast
BondDonBond likes this.

post #5697 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
Yes. It starts out perfect with nice white colored whites :-) and then in a few miliseconds gets a yellow cast
Exactly my experience, there is just something in the firmware DI screwing it up IMO, it knows how to throw the right picture. Gives me even more confidence that JVC can fix this without a major deal.

post #5698 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 33
There really is a fascinating dynamic on these forums anymore. I don't recall this several years past, but I may have simply lost my naivete along the way.

Several of the big players are dealers with a vested interest in minimizing the impact of product negativity. Some of this may even be subconscious. Some of the less experienced seem overly swayed by these 'big player' opinions and subsequently rush to their defense. Overall board opinions are subtly, and sometimes not so subtly affected by the information put out by these players. (Not dissimilar to news organizations subtly and sometimes not so subtly swaying public opinion.) Attempt is made to marginalize those who dissent, sometimes going as far as to refer to them as trolls. I wish that everyone, on either side, would try to maintain objectivity.

There is a very recent post explaining the absence of extensive reviews arises from only a limited number of units shipped thus far. The SAME paragraph indicates that there are really only a small number of defects thus far. (despite the limited number of units shipped thus far...)

The people I've seen describing their units, both positive and negative, seemed to be thread contributors well before receiving their projectors. It doesn't seem that people with defects are just showing up in this thread. There have been launches of new product lines many times in the recent past, without this level of product defects. This is real, although to what extent I'm not sure anyone really knows at this point. I think it is VERY possible that much (most?) of this is arising from the difficulty in shipping such a heavy and highly technical and precise electronics product.

For the record, I am still using a TruVue Vango which I purchased from AVS and still love. I am in the market for a new projector. I won't buy a Sony, because I DO believe in the panel degradation issue. The newer DLP units don't seem to do a lot for me. I AM planning on purchasing a JVC projector, which is why I keep lurking around in this thread!

Just my $0.02.
Kevin
Gary Lightfoot, Toe, Erod and 6 others like this.
post #5699 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 4111 Post(s)
Liked: 6641
Quote:
You are not alone in your "doubts", they apear to be valid.

Sadly, I fear that JVC may provide Arrow with "cherry picked" production units that JVC has gone over with a fine tooth comb because of the previous disasters of batting ZERO, for ZERO in two out of two different model production units.

JVC literally can't afford for Arrow to receive a third defective projector = "three strikes and you're out". Therefore, what ever Arrow reports, finds or concludes may be suspect because the projectors he receives probably won't reflect reality since guaranteed, most customers new projectors won't receive the same level of scrutiny and "quality control".

So far this roll out of JVC's highly anticipated 4K projection line has been a pr disaster. Just read through the owner posts; problem, defect free JVC 4K projectors have been the overwhelming exception to the rule. This doesn't bode well or inspire confidence in potential buyers.

Sure you have defenders and those downplaying the potential seriousness of the situation here on AVS: ("all new production units have problems, it is to be expected"...etc.) but their excuses are suspect because there's "big money" and profits at stake.

Anyway we shall see what we shall see, only time will tell. That said, a lot of potential JVC 4K buyers, like myself are going to sit this one out.
Well, I will in fact be evaluating 5 units of each and every model, total 15 units... So, ain't going to happen!

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 02-15-2019 at 02:39 PM.
post #5700 of 18045 Old 02-15-2019, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 4111 Post(s)
Liked: 6641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Snyder View Post
There really is a fascinating dynamic on these forums anymore. I don't recall this several years past, but I may have simply lost my naivete along the way.

Several of the big players are dealers with a vested interest in minimizing the impact of product negativity. Some of this may even be subconscious. Some of the less experienced seem overly swayed by these 'big player' opinions and subsequently rush to their defense. Overall board opinions are subtly, and sometimes not so subtly affected by the information put out by these players. (Not dissimilar to news organizations subtly and sometimes not so subtly swaying public opinion.) Attempt is made to marginalize those who dissent, sometimes going as far as to refer to them as trolls. I wish that everyone, on either side, would try to maintain objectivity.

There is a very recent post explaining the absence of extensive reviews arises from only a limited number of units shipped thus far. The SAME paragraph indicates that there are really only a small number of defects thus far. (despite the limited number of units shipped thus far...)

The people I've seen describing their units, both positive and negative, seemed to be thread contributors well before receiving their projectors. It doesn't seem that people with defects are just showing up in this thread. There have been launches of new product lines many times in the recent past, without this level of product defects. This is real, although to what extent I'm not sure anyone really knows at this point. I think it is VERY possible that much (most?) of this is arising from the difficulty in shipping such a heavy and highly technical and precise electronics product.

For the record, I am still using a TruVue Vango which I purchased from AVS and still love. I am in the market for a new projector. I won't buy a Sony, because I DO believe in the panel degradation issue. The newer DLP units don't seem to do a lot for me. I AM planning on purchasing a JVC projector, which is why I keep lurking around in this thread!

Just my $0.02.
Kevin
Don't include me in that please... I don't have any affiliation with respect to any particular brand, I am completely impartial and unbiased, and I will always shoot straight and say exactly how it is, both positives and negatives, warts and all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page