Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 193 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14218Likes

post #5761 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3927 Post(s)
Liked: 6371
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
My RS2000 is nearly perfect. I didn't realize it was even possible to have an image this good in my home theater. Completely blown away.

My only issue is the yellow shift with DI engaged on low ADL content which may just be how it works. It's certainly not a dealbreaker for me and if it is a defect it seems like one which could be addressed in software.
Ah, just to let you know: "yellow shift with DI engaged on low ADL content" is NOT "normal", and decidedly NOT "just how it works"; it's a problem.

You need to notify your dealer and contact JVC and report this issue ASAP.

Last edited by Jmouse007; 02-15-2019 at 01:25 PM.
post #5763 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
OR you can accept that risk and weather the speed bumps as a tradeoff for getting to enjoy the bleeding edge tech. <-- Guy who pre-orders the new phone every year to receive it on release day, proud owner of one of the first Tesla Model 3s in my state, and generally enthusiastic Tryer Of New Things. I avoid unnecessary risks when making investment or career decisions, but when it comes to hobbies and personal tech the consequences of taking a risk are less severe.

As an early adopter I didn't need my RS2000 to be perfect; I just need it to be basically functional with the assurance that JVC tends to take care of its customers in the long run. In the end I ended up with a nearly perfect unit so my expectations have been met and exceeded.
Fair enough. For what it's worth, I'm absolutely aligned with you on Tesla (because I believe in their cause).

Ironically, I'm a risk taker in my career, but when it comes to incremental products, I like to buy right once and enjoy.

Each to their own!
mattztt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5764 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 96
[quote=coxy2416;57606866]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavromatis View Post

People always write about issues and don’t write about how great things are. This has always been the way!

And most people that are complaining about how bad these projectors are don’t even own one so why is it even a big deal to them?
They post because they are trolls. Before JVC started shipping projectors, the concern was will they get the 3rd party part issue fixed in a timely matter. They did and started shipping product in Jan. There have been a few shipping damage units that are not JVC's fault, but the troll is counting those as JVC "problems". There appears to be a software/firmware item in the yellowing with auto DI. Most have said this is not a big concern as it is easily corrected with a update. Then there were two that had either a banding of colors or a donut ring. Those can be shipping or a honest defect. Those are being replaced by JVC. Those few projectors don't make up a problem that the troll is harping on. The troll keeps posting the same crud over and over and over again. I'm not posting this as a reply/quote to his posting as I don't want it re-read it for the thousandths time.

I will be the lucky recipient of the ChadB reviewed/calibrated RS3000 projector. I gave Chris (Cleveland AV) permission to ship my projector to Chad and wait the extra few weeks before I would get my hands on the new projector. I'm hoping UPS takes good care as it crosses the country and hopefully arrives in the next couple days. But I'm afraid snowy conditions are probably going to delay the delivery which is supposed to be today and will more likely to be Monday. I can hardly wait. I already know I'm getting a great projector and one that has been tested, calibrated and the extra benefit of being a review sample that is plug and play ready for prime time viewing.

Well hopefully the trolls will take a break. Their posting while they preach as being valid concern is more chicken little. If they have a concern, vote with your wallet. But don't pollute the water on hardware you don't have first hand knowledge or ownership in.
David Mathews and mikela like this.
post #5765 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
This is how I received my X790 from purolator. Shipping companies are not careful with their shipments and are surely at fault for some issues
Then JVC needs to do a better job of protecting their multi thousand dollar projectors from "shipping damage", AND DOUBLE BOX THEM.

That said, the issues being reported may have absolutely nothing to do with "shipping damage".

Arrow - AV personally picked one of his brand new 4K projectors up directly from JVC and transported it home himself, lest it get "damaged in shipping": but, in spite of his transporting it with kid gloves the projector was still defective right out of the box!
post #5766 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 335
[QUOTE=DennisLJacob;57608682]
Quote:
Quote:

People always write about issues and don’t write about how great things are. This has always been the way!

And most people that are complaining about how bad these projectors are don’t even own one so why is it even a big deal to them?
They post because they are trolls. Before JVC started shipping projectors, the concern was will they get the 3rd party part issue fixed in a timely matter. They did and started shipping product in Jan. There have been a few shipping damage units that are not JVC's fault, but the troll is counting those as JVC "problems". There appears to be a software/firmware item in the yellowing with auto DI. Most have said this is not a big concern as it is easily corrected with a update. Then there were two that had either a banding of colors or a donut ring. Those can be shipping or a honest defect. Those are being replaced by JVC. Those few projectors don't make up a problem that the troll is harping on. The troll keeps posting the same crud over and over and over again. I'm not posting this as a reply/quote to his posting as I don't want it re-read it for the thousandths time.

I will be the lucky recipient of the ChadB reviewed/calibrated RS3000 projector. I gave Chris (Cleveland AV) permission to ship my projector to Chad and wait the extra few weeks before I would get my hands on the new projector. I'm hoping UPS takes good care as it crosses the country and hopefully arrives in the next couple days. But I'm afraid snowy conditions are probably going to delay the delivery which is supposed to be today and will more likely to be Monday. I can hardly wait. I already know I'm getting a great projector and one that has been tested, calibrated and the extra benefit of being a review sample that is plug and play ready for prime time viewing.

Well hopefully the trolls will take a break. Their posting while they preach as being valid concern is more chicken little. If they have a concern, vote with your wallet. But don't pollute the water on hardware you don't have first hand knowledge or ownership in.
I was lucky enough to get a demo of the NX9 and it put out the best projected image I have ever seen. You will love it!

As for shipping, I generally don’t worry about it because it’s out of my control. If it comes damaged then I know JVC will just ship another one. It’s an inconvenience but there are bigger things to worry about in life.
Mike Garrett and ARROW-AV like this.
post #5767 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2213 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
There have been a VERY limited number released here in Aus, !
There has only been two NX9s released to date in Australasia and both came into NZ from Australia. One to Christchurch and the other to me in Auckland.
I watched A Star is Born last night (not UHD) and the DI was amazing, I never ever noticed it working throughout the entire film, but I knew it was as it sure made the many dark scenes in the film super black, plus retaining all the shadow detail.
I was one of the people who could never stomach the old DI on past models, including my replaced X9900 so I always turned them off, JVC has now perfected the DI and I hope it stays this way!
BTW I’m still absolutely loving my NX9, it’s an amazing projector, it’s on my mind going to sleep at night and arrives back in my head as soon as I wake, I’m so happy!

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #5768 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post
Quote:
This is how I received my X790 from purolator. Shipping companies are not careful with their shipments and are surely at fault for some issues
Then JVC needs to do a better job of protecting their multi thousand dollar projectors from "shipping damage", AND DOUBLE BOX THEM.

That said, the issues being reported may have absolutely nothing to do with "shipping damage".

Arrow - AV personally picked one of his brand new 4K projectors up directly from JVC and transported it home himself, lest it get "damaged in shipping": but, in spite of his transporting it with kid gloves the projector was still defective right out of the box!
Sometime things happen that are not in our control. JVC is an exceptional company and puts their customers first so I feel confident that if there is an issue I know it will be dealt with promptly and properly.
post #5769 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 12057 Post(s)
Liked: 9586
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
They sound great, but I just can't get my head around accepting these lesser black levels. That's my FAVORITE trait of my X9500.
You need to see the new models. I got to see the RS1000 and RS3000 at CEDIA. The RS3000 reminded me of my RS4500 and that got me excited. It got me excited, because it meant more people would be able to experience projector performance very close to the RS4500 at a much lower price point. I can't wait to get mine.
DennisLJacob and aniv like this.
post #5770 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
Quote:
OR you can accept that risk and weather the speed bumps as a tradeoff for getting to enjoy the bleeding edge tech. <-- Guy who pre-orders the new phone every year to receive it on release day, proud owner of one of the first Tesla Model 3s in my state, and generally enthusiastic Tryer Of New Things. I avoid unnecessary risks when making investment or career decisions, but when it comes to hobbies and personal tech the consequences of taking a risk are less severe.

As an early adopter I didn't need my RS2000 to be perfect; I just need it to be basically functional with the assurance that JVC tends to take care of its customers in the long run. In the end I ended up with a nearly perfect unit so my expectations have been met and exceeded.

I agree completely!

Some people stay on the sidelines year after year, but for me personally, I would rather buy the items I want, even if they require some firmware updates, etc, and I’ll keep them until something better comes along.

I bought one of the first Sony 5000ES 4K Laser projectors. This April I will have had the unit for 3 years. It wasn’t perfect on launch and multiple firmware updates were released over the first year, which only made it better and better. But I have gotten to use it and enjoy it for 3 years now. And to this date, it’s still the only option for large screens like mine, which is 17 feet wide.

My RS600 was bought almost 3 years ago as well. Both it and the 5000ES, were released before we even had 4K HDR content. Both didn’t handle HDR very well at first, but just like the Sony, the JVC only improved as custom gamma profiles were able to be created and loaded to override the horrible “Gamma D”

So I don’t mind being a sort of “beta-tester”, as most of the products still preform at 95% on initial release. And I’ll continue to enjoy it over the next few months as we go from 95% to 99% perfect.

Both of my RS2000 are 95% perfect. I believe they are both free of any hardware defects just like my Sony 5000ES and my JVC RS600. And as JVC releases some firmware updates to tweak the DI on the RS2000, it will just get better and better.

Except for the people that received a DOA unit and are waiting for a replacement, I don’t know of anyone with a functioning unit that is disappointed or dissatisfied with their purchase.

But I'm also the type of person who buys the new iPhone the day it’s released or will buy a new “first year” model car. There are still occasional software bugs with my iPhone and with both my Mercedes S-coupe and Range Rover Velar, but I still enjoy all of them, even if there is a specific item that drives me crazy in each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mattztt, Manni01 and SpykeSIK like this.
post #5771 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Snyder View Post
There really is a fascinating dynamic on these forums anymore. I don't recall this several years past, but I may have simply lost my naivete along the way.

Several of the big players are dealers with a vested interest in minimizing the impact of product negativity. Some of this may even be subconscious. Some of the less experienced seem overly swayed by these 'big player' opinions and subsequently rush to their defense. Overall board opinions are subtly, and sometimes not so subtly affected by the information put out by these players. (Not dissimilar to news organizations subtly and sometimes not so subtly swaying public opinion.) Attempt is made to marginalize those who dissent, sometimes going as far as to refer to them as trolls. I wish that everyone, on either side, would try to maintain objectivity.

There is a very recent post explaining the absence of extensive reviews arises from only a limited number of units shipped thus far. The SAME paragraph indicates that there are really only a small number of defects thus far. (despite the limited number of units shipped thus far...)

The people I've seen describing their units, both positive and negative, seemed to be thread contributors well before receiving their projectors. It doesn't seem that people with defects are just showing up in this thread. There have been launches of new product lines many times in the recent past, without this level of product defects. This is real, although to what extent I'm not sure anyone really knows at this point. I think it is VERY possible that much (most?) of this is arising from the difficulty in shipping such a heavy and highly technical and precise electronics product.

For the record, I am still using a TruVue Vango which I purchased from AVS and still love. I am in the market for a new projector. I won't buy a Sony, because I DO believe in the panel degradation issue. The newer DLP units don't seem to do a lot for me. I AM planning on purchasing a JVC projector, which is why I keep lurking around in this thread!

Just my $0.02.
Kevin
Keven, unfortunately your observations are very astute. There are indeed a number of "dealers" and "big players" on AVS who have a vested interest in generating sales, and not the best interest of AVS members at heart. It indeed didn't use to be like this.

Your decision to avoid purchasing a SONY projector at all costs due to known, verified, ongoing panel degradation issues across the entire SONY lamp based projector lines, spaning well over a decade, is also well founded.

In spite of a mountain of evidence and hard proof, gathered and presented for well over a decade that the panel degradation problem is real, SONY Corp. has never, ever once publicly acknowledged that the panel degradation problem even exists.

Therefore it is virtually impossible to believe or trust that SONY Corp. has ever permanently "fixed" a known issue that it denies even exists.
SpykeSIK likes this.
post #5772 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickb1965 View Post
Just playing devils' advocate here before anyone bites my head off, but if you take Arrow's situation, it doesn't look good.

2 units received, both have 'significant' issues.

From a UK perspective, to have 2 samples of different models delivered to one of the most highly-regarded dealers here, & both are lemons, can't be good in anyone's book, just sayin.....
Quote:
BINGO!

So far Arrow is batting ZERO.
I think we need to be careful here about drawing conclusions from such a small number of samples, because we might be making mountains out of molehills. I am going to be evaluating and testing a further 15 units so let's see what happens with those

Either way, I feel the need to point out that these projectors are a brand new range, as in first generation new products. It is therefore fully expected for there to be initial wrinkles that need ironing out. The same applies with respect to other new first generation new projectors as well. Where for instance the launch of the SONY 885/760ES was similarly afflicted by a bunch of issues. For example, many multiple units from the first production run, including the units that I received and evaluated, as well as Mark Henninger's (iMagic) review unit, were defective with a severe green light leakage issue that manifested like this:

Additionally numerous units were afflicted by a completely different and unrelated green smearing and uniformity issue:

With concomitant blotching and posterization in fleshtones and the like:

Quote:
Sometime things happen that are not in our control. JVC is an exceptional company and puts their customers first so I feel confident that if there is an issue I know it will be dealt with promptly and properly.
I very much agree with this. In short, stuff happens. It is what is done about it in response that is all-important and with respect to this JVC's pre-existing track record has been nothing but exemplary.

Yes, it is annoying to have been unlucky to have received defective units, however I could not be happier with JVC's reaction and action taken to provide replacements in an expedited manner

You might recollect that there were some initial issues with the JVC RS4500/Z1 at product launch as well; wherein, JVC very quickly took appropriate action to remedy matters. Where I have no doubt that JVC will be doing precisely the same thing now. In fact, remember there was an issue with respect to the Dynamic Iris malfunctioning at product launch, but JVC already fixed that within a matter of a days.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 02-15-2019 at 02:41 PM.
post #5773 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post
There isn’t really anything that can be done to help this issue.
You could lock the frame rate (Turn Match Framerate Off), so that the “resync” is only done when switching from HDR to SDR, but I’m not sure if that will offer much help or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
Hahaha we're all anal retentive here, no worries!

Two things to consider: turn off frame rate matching, so at least that isn't causing sync delays; but you'll still have the sync issues going from the SDR menus to the HDR content. The other option (you're not gonna like this!) is to also turn off dynamic range matching and just live with the banding but have a smoother user experience. In this scenario you would try to avoid watching SDR material. You would have an overly bright menu but should have no banding in the HDR material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinegar View Post
Sart your Apple TV to 4k 24 sdr. Turn off match frame rate. Turn on match dynamic range.

This will keep you from resynching on sdr material like trailers and non hdr shows bc it will always be in 4k 24 sdr unless you watch hdr.

You’ll still have to deal with the sync time on 4k hdr material (I just pause the show until it syncs)

The negative is if you watch any native 60 shows the frame rate will be wrong, but it’s if your like me all the shows I watch are 24.

You can try it, see if you like. Works well for me
I think setting to 4K 24hz SDR is the perfect balance.

It also seems like these new projectors operate better in 4K SDR than in HDR mode on the ATV. For example, The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime video they offer two 4K formats. HDR and SDR. The SDR version looks better no banding vs the HDR one has banding... so I take it that it's better, at least for this source to go with the SDR version.
post #5774 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It also seems like these new projectors operate better in 4K SDR than in HDR mode on the ATV. For example, The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime video they offer two 4K formats. HDR and SDR. The SDR version looks better no banding vs the HDR one has banding... so I take it that it's better, at least for this source to go with the SDR version.
You can see in the images below...

Source:
The Grand Tour S3/EP 6 @ 10:00 mark.

You can see the 4K HDR version has clear banding in the sky where as the 4K SDR version is perfection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5620.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	1,022.4 KB
ID:	2526272   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5621.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	980.4 KB
ID:	2526276  
SpykeSIK likes this.
post #5775 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Something still doesn’t sound quite right.

I keep my Apple TV set to 4K SDR 60HZ, but I have both “match frame rate” and “match dynamic range” turned on.

If you want to set to 4K SDR 24HZ, to try to minimize the resyncs, you should still have “match Dynamic Range” on.

How do you have Chroma set? I keep mine at 4:2:0.

Grand Tour in 4K HDR looks phenomenal on my Apple TV on multiple different TVs and Projectors.

Can you send a picture of what you are seeing?

The key is to make sure the content is playing in its “native” format. I wouldn’t want the Apple TV converting SDR content to output at HDR not would I want it taking HDR content and converting to SDR.

post #5776 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 02:19 PM

Location: Arse End of the World: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrnambool
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Talking with the JVC service tech he mentioned that he has had multiple units returned that had fallen off the ceiling mounts. Outside of cosmetic damage the worked just fine.
Did he mention the brand(s) of mounts to be avoided?
post #5777 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Something still doesn’t sound quite right.

I keep my Apple TV set to 4K SDR 60HZ, but I have both “match frame rate” and “match dynamic range” turned on.

If you want to set to 4K SDR 24HZ, to try to minimize the resyncs, you should still have “match Dynamic Range” on.

How do you have Chroma set? I keep mine at 4:2:0.

Grand Tour in 4K HDR looks phenomenal on my Apple TV on multiple different TVs and Projectors.

Can you send a picture of what you are seeing?

The key is to make sure the content is playing in its “native” format. I wouldn’t want the Apple TV converting SDR content to output at HDR not would I want it taking HDR content and converting to SDR.
Here are photos in this post: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57608932

I currently have it setup as: 4K SDR 24hz, "match Dynamic Range" on and "match Frame Rate" on.

Chroma is at 4K SDR 24hz is 4:4:4
post #5778 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can see in the images below...

Source:

The Grand Tour S3/EP 6 @ 10:00 mark.

You can see the 4K HDR version has clear banding in the sky where as the 4K SDR version is perfection.

Arrow down on the Apple TV menu, and make sure on the Apple TV “info” screen it says 4K HDR.

That banding certainly shouldn’t be like that on the 4K HDR version. I will check on my RS2000 later tonight. But just quickly checking on my Sony 75” LED there isn’t any banding.

I would def check your Chroma setting on the Apple TV. I use 4:2:0 and def don’t see any banding like that with 4K HDR content.

post #5779 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopsus View Post
Quote:
Talking with the JVC service tech he mentioned that he has had multiple units returned that had fallen off the ceiling mounts. Outside of cosmetic damage the worked just fine.
He did not. I use a Chief mount which I highly recommend. They are rock solid and worth every penny!

It always surprises me how people can spend so much on a projector and then cheap out on a mount.
Todd G. and Mike Garrett like this.
post #5780 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Banding issues solved, but having match frame rate on seems like another compromise. If you use the Trailers app on ATV going back and forth between GUI and video the sync is extremely distracting. Takes about 2-4 seconds it seems -- what do you guys do to solve that issue? I know it's normal, but man, it really ruins the experience going from GUI to content and back, not smooth or elegant... thoughts?
Easiest thing is so set the default output to 4K SDR 24Hz as that is the majority. Yes the UI is not a smooth, but it’s not too bad.
post #5781 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Quote:
He did not. I use a Chief mount which I highly recommend. They are rock solid and worth every penny!

It always surprises me how people can spend so much on a projector and then cheap out on a mount.
My 1st suspicion would be how the mount interfaced with the deiling and was there adequete reinforcement support.

Also, when man handling a heavier unit (that doesnt sound right ), one might momentarily place greater stress on the entire mount assembly, there by compromising the ceiling interface.
post #5782 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 12057 Post(s)
Liked: 9586
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

The projectors traveled from country of manufacture to the UK. Then the projectors traveled to the distributor. Arrow already said that there is no QC in the UK, so Arrow was only able to protect his projectors on the last leg of the journey. In the US it has been a little bit different situation. Every JVC that has come into the US has been inspected by JVC US, before being released. There is still travel from JVC US to distribution, travel from distribution to the dealer and travel from the dealer to the customer.
David Mathews and ARROW-AV like this.
post #5783 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKlammer View Post
I have decided to trade the black level of my X9500 for less internal reflections, better motion handling and more image stability.
And I likely will, too, when the second version of these new projectors are released in 10-12 months, much more bug free.
woofer and Bytehoven like this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #5784 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The projectors traveled from country of manufacture to the UK. Then the projectors traveled to the distributor. Arrow already said that there is no QC in the UK, so Arrow was only able to protect his projectors on the last leg of the journey. In the US it has been a little bit different situation. Every JVC that has come into the US has been inspected by JVC US, before being released. There is still travel from JVC US to distribution, travel from distribution to the dealer and travel from the dealer to the customer.
They need to start making these things out of rubber and springs.
Kevin Snyder likes this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #5785 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Arrow down on the Apple TV menu, and make sure on the Apple TV “info” screen it says 4K HDR.

That banding certainly shouldn’t be like that on the 4K HDR version. I will check on my RS2000 later tonight. But just quickly checking on my Sony 75” LED there isn’t any banding.

I would def check your Chroma setting on the Apple TV. I use 4:2:0 and def don’t see any banding like that with 4K HDR content.

Yes, it shows HDR in the menu -- perhaps this is a cable issue? I will try plugging ATV4K into the projector directly to rule out anything between causing this... but please check on your RS2000 to just make sure too.
post #5786 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Absolutely right Mike. People should not take 1 plus 1 and make 13. As I have indeed previously stated the UK has no additional QC, unlike the United States. So people should most certainly NOT take what has unfortunately happened to me and extrapolate and apply that to what is to be expected regarding the United States; wherein there IS the additional QC, unlike the UK. Totally different kettle of fish

post #5787 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 4821 Post(s)
Liked: 3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
Brother I respect you .. <edited because it was not in tone keeping of this discussion> . I am telling you there is a Yellow problem, even the JVC USA customer service has escalated the pictures I uploaded here and sent to them to JVC Japan. Mike has done the same. So there is a yellow problem. You cant tell me that red looking more like orange when DI turns on is not a problem.

Edit: You are one of the most helpful contributor on this forum - so I don't write the above with any sense of disrespect or vitriol. Apologies I this comes across as combative - that is not my intent.
I'm not disputing that the small amount of white on the screen yellows when you enable the DI. I'm disputing that it's a defect. But we can let JVC decide. I know something similar happens on my RS640 and also (less so) on my RS500. It could be that JVC got more aggressive with its dimming algorithms to make up for the drop in native contrast. I agree this can be fixed with FW update.
SpykeSIK likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #5788 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 02:48 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6524 Post(s)
Liked: 6500
Quote:
Holy smoke's that would be a bad day.

Quote:
I would assume the mount was not installed right, not the mount failing.
post #5789 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Based on the suggestion from markmon1 and mattztt, I tested my NX7 at various ADL levels.

As you can (hopefully) see at ~10% ADL the difference in Auto and Manual starts to be negligible and at 20% there is no difference.

All pictures taken with a Canon 5D Mark III and an L lamp - so that is as good as I can take with my current gear.

Also took a video of screen going from full black to full white (Iris fully clamped to fully open) that show how dramatic the Yellowing of the Auto Iris is. Video was shot on iPhone XS.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AlvdMbnqRAsKgaxlHNGfIi1Mrt50aw

Thanks for the link to the patterns. Would have been a pain to create them myself :-)
I'm looking at these on my laptop. It almost makes me want to hook up my RS640 again, but I think my RS640 would basically behave the same as that. This is why people use to complain about pumping on end credits. At least on my laptop, it seems like the images with more white on them do not yellow at all. Is that true?

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #5790 of 15285 Old 02-15-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Based on the suggestion from markmon1 and mattztt, I tested my NX7 at various ADL levels.

As you can (hopefully) see at ~10% ADL the difference in Auto and Manual starts to be negligible and at 20% there is no difference.

All pictures taken with a Canon 5D Mark III and an L lamp - so that is as good as I can take with my current gear.

Also took a video of screen going from full black to full white (Iris fully clamped to fully open) that show how dramatic the Yellowing of the Auto Iris is. Video was shot on iPhone XS.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AlvdMbnqRAsKgaxlHNGfIi1Mrt50aw

Thanks for the link to the patterns. Would have been a pain to create them myself :-)
I'm looking at these on my laptop. It almost makes me want to hook up my RS640 again, but I think my RS640 would basically behave the same as that. This is why people use to complain about pumping on end credits. At least on my laptop, it seems like the images with more white on them do not yellow at all. Is that true?

Quote:
Yes. It starts out perfect with nice white colored whites :-) and then in a few miliseconds gets a yellow cast
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
Exactly my experience, there is just something in the firmware DI screwing it up IMO, it knows how to throw the right picture. Gives me even more confidence that JVC can fix this without a major deal.
The same behavior occurs on my RS640. It's not that it renders it correctly and *then* 'screws it up'. It's that it renders it, then the DI reacts. It takes a bit to engage the DI since it's a moving part. So far, still not seeing anything that's a defect on the new models. This is how the RS640 behaves too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigq View Post
FWIW my first RS3000 and replacement RS3000 behaved exactly the same so I don’t think it’s a defective unit but something universal with these new projectors. Since this is my first JVC coming from a Sony I just assumed that’s how the DI worked and was a trade off to get the inky blacks JVC is known for.

If you want to see this in movies I found the Sony intro where there is just a white Sony logo in the middle shows it well, the logo starts a little yellow and then transitions to white as zooms in and the DI gets bigger.

Honestly it’s not a deal breaker for me as it doesn’t happen often in movies but would be nice if they could fix it in firmware.
I believe this is exactly the case. Perhaps JVC can do something in firmware to improve it, but I suspect this is more just how it is. The iris algorithm got more aggressive between the RS600 and RS640 series. But the blacks improved a lot, too.

Last edited by markmon1; 02-15-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page