Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 197 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21222Likes

post #5881 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
Major issue with my RS2000

Watched Lucy, and one issue was in the seen where Morgan Freeman is lecturing and the background is black. The black was black not grey. Also you could see every hair and flaw in his face.

Then later in the film the colors were too good. They were vibrant in HDR. We did not notice any streeking. We were amazed and actually enjoyed the movie and did not look at pixels.

Should I take it off the ceiling and drop the projector on the floor about 5 feet to fix these problems?[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]

Ok just trying to give some levity to the forum. Sometimes we take this like these are real world problems. Not minimizing the problems just that we are all very blessed that we get to enjoy this hobby.
Funny I had that exact same thing last night watching Lucy. In fact I have never seen a picture as good as I saw from start to finish of that movie on my NX7. It was so good looking that I sometimes forgot to pay attention to the plot.
Drem, mattztt, llang269 and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5882 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogdok View Post
Funny I had that exact same thing last night watching Lucy. In fact I have never seen a picture as good as I saw from start to finish of that movie on my NX7. It was so good looking that I sometimes forgot to pay attention to the plot.
Another great title to show off the abilities of these beasts is the new Jumanji. Incredible image, sharp, vibrant and just overall jaw dropping.
smitty, Drem, coxy2416 and 3 others like this.

JVC DLA-NX9 | Paladin Anamorphic Lens | Panasonic UB820 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Rotel RB 993 Amp | 135" 2:35:1 Elunevision Aurora NanoEdge Ambient Light Blocking Screen | Paradigm Monitor 11 v7, Monitor Center 3 v7, Monitor Surround 3 v7, CI Pro P65-R |
post #5883 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 272 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked: 6943
Quote:

Watched Lucy, and one issue was in the seen where Morgan Freeman is lecturing and the background is black. The black was black not grey. Also you could see every hair and flaw in his face.

Then later in the film the colors were too good. They were vibrant in HDR. We did not notice any streeking. We were amazed and actually enjoyed the movie and did not look at pixels.

Should I take it off the ceiling and drop the projector on the floor about 5 feet to fix these problems?

Ok just trying to give some levity to the forum. Sometimes we take this like these are real world problems. Not minimizing the problems just that we are all very blessed that we get to enjoy this hobby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogdok View Post
Great to hear that you both have good units

I don't know whether to say:

OR:

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 02-16-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5884 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7150 Post(s)
Liked: 7194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post
I asked specifically about it and dealer said the lamp is on JVCs initiation. Haven't heard anything more, other than I asked him to confirm this after I got the N7 replacement last week. And it's still a go according to him. I'll believe it when I see the lamp for myself

EDIT: To clarify, this is not actually the "dealer", but the Swedish distributor of these JVC projectors.
That is excellent news, hope everyone worldwide gets a free bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post

JVC has now confirmed that my RS2000/N7 is definitely defective; however, they are going to meet with me next Thursday and we will evaluate my initial JVC RS3000/NX9 unit together. Wherein, the primary issue I have with it is that the ghosting is so severe to the extent that the contrast is measuring below what I consider should be acceptable tolerance range, in that the ANSI measures only 150:1. So it is going to be interesting to see whether JVC accepts this as being a defective unit or comes back stating that this is within the expected range...
Well I hope when you get a RS1000/N5 she is a good one......
Drem and ARROW-AV like this.
post #5885 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post

UPS and Fedex set the size and weight of the packages they can handle. As long as you are within those restrictions, UPS and Fedex have a responsibility to handle the packages responsibly and safely. Also for larger packages like this, UPS and Fedex drives are supposed to have a two wheeled dolly. I get large projectors shipped to me often times. My UPS driver uses a two wheeled dolly for the larger projectors and he is a pretty big guy.
And we know all UPS/Fedex drivers treat these items with great care.

One thing is for sure. For my next JVC projector (hopefully not for a few more years), I will be driving down the Thruway 90 miles to Rochester to pick it up directly from AVS to avoid this issue.
Mike Garrett likes this.
post #5886 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4471 View Post
Has anyone else seen this RS3000 on eBay for sale?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-DLA-NX9...f-0ed84d336c56
appears to be the same one advertised in the classifieds here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-f...ntly-used.html

Rex
post #5887 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 101
This RS3000 is a keeper!

Have had my replacement RS3000 for over a week now and it seems perfect! No issues that I can detect whatsoever. Chad B arrives Feb 26 to calibrate. After his visit, I'll report back.

My first RS3000 arrived Jan 24 with damage, which I detailed in post 3192, page 107 (spoiler below). My replacement arrived Feb 7 but I didn't unbox/set it up until Feb 10. The first one arrived direct via UPS from JVC/Cailfornia in a single box. The replacement RS3000 arrived from AVScience via FedEx double-boxed with substantial styrofoam peanuts cushioning between the two boxes. Both units had special JVC tape indicating each had been opened and inspected by JVC/California, so the only variable was shipment method. The replacement unit had been shipped from JVC/Cailfornia to Rochester NY as #5 of 9 in a stack of several on a pallet. From there, AVScience performed the double-boxing with peanuts before shipping to me in Tennessee.

Spoiler!

The RS3000 replaces my Chad B calibrated RS-600, which goes up for sale on Audiogon today. The RS-600 served me well and remains an outstanding projector. Even Kris Deering purchased an RS-600 after having an JVC laser 4500 in his extraordinary home theater and commented how outstanding it is in terms of quality vs. cost = value. The RS3000 definitely delivers a better image than the RS-600, especially 4K, and clearly even lesser resolutions. With high end A/V, it is the last 10%+/- of performance improvement that usually costs 50%+ more in incremental cost. At my age and relative resources, purchasing the RS3000 was an easy no-brainer for me. But if I was decades younger, I'd probably have kept the RS-600 and remained very pleased with it.

Thanks again to Mike Garrett for rapid remedy.

All's well that ends well!

JVC RS3000 in AeroLift 150, Paladin DCR lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Two Screens: Stewart ElectiScreen StudioTek 130G 153” 240:1 and Screen Innovations Motorized Series 5 Slate 1.2 120" 16:9, Rack: Anthem AVM-60, Oppo 203, Sony CX-7000ES BD Changer, two Anthem A-5's, Rotel 1075, Atmos 7.2.4: 7 Thiel PowerPoint 1.2's, 2 SVS SB-16 Ultra's, 4 Thiel PowerPlane 1.2's. Projector cabling: FIBBR + RUIPro 10M, Remote: URC MX-990.

Last edited by cargen; 02-16-2019 at 05:40 PM.
post #5888 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
Do JVC let you know (via the email address you supply on the promo form) when they have received the form or shipped the lamp? With the Seattle Snowmagedden approaching I sent mine Priority so that it had tracking and saw they received it. Plenty of window left, just wondering if it just turns up out of the blue.

No they don't, but in my case they shipped it out pretty quick. They got the form last Wednesday and they sent out the bulb by UPS yesterday. Things may change once the projectors are much more available as they may get flooded with redemption forms.
dlinsley likes this.
post #5889 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 370 Post(s)
Quoted: 5741 Post(s)
Liked: 6194
@ARROW-AV : I think I might understand why the brightness cut numbers with the filter are all over the place, ranging from 10% to 25%.

I've run lots of measurements on my rs2000 since I received it earlier this week and it looks like the filter doesn't cut as much light in low lamp and in high lamp (no idea why, as I wouldn't have expected it to behave that way).

Further to this, the number isn't the same if you report the cut or the gain.

As far as I can see, at least on my unit, it works that way with a P3 within BT2020 calibration:

In Low Lamp, iris fully open, mid-throw:
The filter cuts 20% of light (120nits with filter = a drop of 20% from the 150nits without).
Losing the filter brings back 25% of light (120nits with filter + 25% = 150nits without).
On my unit, the gamut goes from 99% of P3 with the filter to 85% of P3 without.
Losing the filter also reduces on/off contrast, as it goes from around 30,000:1 to around 25,000:1.

In High lamp, iris fully open, mid-throw:
The filter cuts 10% of light (165nits with filter = a drop of 10% from the 185nits without).
Losing the filter brings back 15% of light (165nits with filter + 15% = 185nits without).
The gamut cover and contrast changes are similar to low lamp.

My unit might sit on the low side re gamut cover due to a very sligth undersaturation on red, as I would have expected a bit over 100% of P3 with the filter and around 90% of P3 without.

This being said, especially in high lamp where the filter only cuts 10% of brightness to deliver 100% of P3 color volume (vs 85% without) and almost 20% more contrast (30K:1 vs 25K:1 without), my advice to use the filter if you can afford it stands, especially in high lamp, if my results are typical.

Even in low lamp, I happily take the 20% cut in brightness to get 100% of P3 and almost 20% more native on/off. With good tonemapping, 120nits (around 40fL) is more than enough to get an amazing picture.

This being said, saturations track very well with (BT2020 color profile) and without the filter (HDR color profile), so if one has to eek every ounce of brightness, using the HDR color profile remains a very valid choice and can be done without looking back or losing sleep over it

Please could you confirm if your "25%" meant 25% *gain* from the brightness measured with the filter, using low lamp? This means only a 20% *cut* and would start to confirm this theory. Also, if that's the case, if you could report numbers in high lamp that would be great.

Same for anyone who has reported filter measurements ( @Chad B , @Cine4Home )

If that's not the case, then I guess my theory is flawed

I have posted very detailed brightness, contrast, calibration (including saturation and luminance linearity tracking, gamma/greyscale, and color volume for both rec-709 and P3), recommended settings and first impressions in the new calibration thread for the 2019 models. It's only a data point of one, but I couldn't be happier. I'll answer any questions you might have regarding these measurements there.

Despite the slight step back in native contrast (from 40,000:1 with my rs500 to 30,000:1 native in my HDR calibration in low lamp iris fully open), the rs2000 throws the best picture I've seen in my cinema room. Sure, the black floor doesn't go as low as my rs500, but in every single other aspect, it's a significant improvement

For those who wonder and want the tldnr: I'm super happy with my rs2000. If you don't hear much from me over the next couple of days, weeks and possibly months, it's because I'm enjoying the projector and watching all the movies I've saved in the last few months. Hopefully the next f/w update (expected in March) will solve a few niggles, especially with the DI that I preferred to switch off for now. But that won't stop me from enjoying the projector in the meantime.

It was well worth the wait!
Clark Burk, Spizz, smitty and 23 others like this.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
JVC Macro feature on Vertex/Vertex2/Integral2/Maestro

Last edited by Manni01; 02-16-2019 at 04:32 PM.
post #5890 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Sorry my numbers were muddled up, corrected so it makes more sense hopefully.
Go get up to speed with the Marvel movies. Avengers is a hell of an HDR show.
smitty and Manni01 like this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #5891 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 370 Post(s)
Quoted: 5741 Post(s)
Liked: 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Go get up to speed with the Marvel movies. Avengers is a hell of an HDR show.
It's on my list!

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
JVC Macro feature on Vertex/Vertex2/Integral2/Maestro
post #5892 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1473 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread

I just watch the race scene near the beginning of Ready Player One.

I have never experienced anything like that, ever. I’m running an entire JTR setup (except Atmos - JVC SCS up there) and that coupled with running an RS2000 and a Paladin DCR was astonishing. I’m floored.

Seriously.

Two things stick out in my mind that I have questions on.

1) I still see a bunch of noise in the “real world” scenes of RPO. I see none of this in the “Oasis” scenes. I see this in other movies too. I feel like this is a brightness problem, possibly caused by me. I have my Panny 820 set to the highest luminance setting, Super Bright LED, and then my RS2000 is bumped to “2” on the slider.

Is it better to use only the Panny 820 for this, or only the RS2000 for this? Or both together? If only one or the other - how do you turn either off?

Or....could I need to clamp down the lens iris while leave the DI on Auto2?

2) See the attached pictures. This is with my Paladin DCR. Is that a bar? I see that on the top and the bottom. RPO is 2:4:1. Should that be there? I thought the DCR would eliminate the bars totally?

post #5893 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
I just watch the race scene near the beginning of Ready Player One.

I have never experienced anything like that, ever. I’m running an entire JTR setup (except Atmos - JVC SCS up there) and that coupled with running an RS2000 and a Paladin DCR was astonishing. I’m floored.

Seriously.

Two things stick out in my mind that I have questions on.

1) I still see a bunch of noise in the “real world” scenes of RPO. I see none of this in the “Oasis” scenes. I see this in other movies too. I feel like this is a brightness problem, possibly caused by me. I have my Panny 820 set to the highest luminance setting, Super Bright LED, and then my RS2000 is bumped to “2” on the slider.

Is it better to use only the Panny 820 for this, or only the RS2000 for this? Or both together? If only one or the other - how do you turn either off?

Or....could I need to clamp down the lens iris while leave the DI on Auto2?

2) See the attached pictures. This is with my Paladin DCR. Is that a bar? I see that on the top and the bottom. RPO is 2:4:1. Should that be there? I thought the DCR would eliminate the bars totally?

I’m a little confused about what your settings are. If you are using a 820 in HDR/2020 mode you will want to set it for projector not super bright LED. This will send a modified tone mapped feed to the JVC with a new meta data of 500. You can then modify the tone mapping in the JVC to tweak the picture. With the super bright LED setting you are not really doing any tone mapping with the 820 as that only affects nits above 1500 I believe.
If you want you can try the SDR/2020 mode which will ignore your TV setting and basically send a feed determined by how you have the slider placed on the 820.
Edit: sorry it looks like you’re only using the HDR10 setting on the JVC. So just use the 820 projector setting and either use the JVC auto tone mapping or manual and tweak the settings to your liking. I’m interested in how this new Panny/JVC setting works out so try it and let me know please.

Last edited by Clark Burk; 02-16-2019 at 03:31 PM.
post #5894 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
I’m a little confused about what your settings are. If you are using a 820 in HDR/2020 mode you will want to set it for projector not super bright LED. This will send a modified tone mapped feed to the JVC with a new meta data of 500. You can then modify the tone mapping in the JVC to tweak the picture. With the super bright LED setting you are not really doing any tone mapping with the 820 as that only affects nits above 1500 I believe.

If you want you can try the SDR/2020 mode which will ignore your TV setting and basically send a feed determined by how you have the slider placed on the 820.

Edit: sorry it looks like you’re only using the HDR10 setting on the JVC. So just use the 820 projector setting and either use the JVC auto tone mapping or manual and tweak the settings to your liking. I’m interested in how this new Panny/JVC setting works out so try it and let me know please.

I’ll try that. Stupid question - how’d you deduce I was using the HDR10 setting on the JVC?
post #5895 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1997 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
Quote:

Should I take it off the ceiling and drop the projector on the floor about 5 feet to fix these problems?[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]

5 feet ? You are a foot short ... six feet under ... should bury something like that out of existence and to never be spoken off again ! Now come back when you have something busted to talk about 😄

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #5896 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
I’ll try that. Stupid question - how’d you deduce I was using the HDR10 setting on the JVC?
That would be the default setting the JVC would choose if you send it a HDR feed With the NX7 you can also use bt2020 which will use the color filter which will push your color closer to the 2020 profile. ...You will get slightly better color albeit with a slightly reduced brightness.
post #5897 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Just watched "Sunshine" (2008) on my NX7. This has to be one of the most impressive 1080p Blu Rays I've ever seen when it comes to abrupt alternations of "full sun" with "deep space". It really showed off how nuanced the DI has become (either Auto 1 or 2). The image was cohesive throughout the movie and incredibly immersive. An enthusiastic recommendation to those who enjoy sci-fi. PS: the 5.1 DTS track was no slouch.........

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sunsh...ay/622/#Review
Drem and tebling like this.

Last edited by docrog; 02-16-2019 at 04:13 PM.
post #5898 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
Just watched "Sunshine" (2008) on my NX7. This has to be one of the most impressive 1080p Blu Rays I've ever seen when it comes to abrupt alternations of "full sun" with "deep space". It really showed off how nuanced the DI has become (either Auto 1 or 2). The image was cohesive throughout the movie and incredibly immersive. An enthusiastic recommendation to those who enjoy sci-fi. PS: the 5.1 DTS track was no slouch.........
Haven’t watched that in a long time. I have the DVD version in my library. Might have to check out the Blu-ray version and give it a try. I’m reluctant to spin a DVD now that Blu-ray and 4k versions are available.

Last edited by Clark Burk; 02-16-2019 at 04:55 PM.
post #5899 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That would be the default setting the JVC would choose if you send it a HDR feed With the NX7 you can also use bt2020 which will use the color filter which will push your color closer to the 2020 profile. ...You will get slightly better color albeit with a slightly reduced brightness.

ACK! I’ll pass on that. I’m a brightness guy. Blind me please. no filter here. Lol.

Hmmm. I feel like I have a setting wrong in the 820 somewhere.

I remember playing The Matrix on my Vizio PQ in the living room and noticing the same noise.

So...it can’t just be the projector.

It’s actually really distracting. In the scene in RPO where the IOI racers are getting into their cars there is a TON of noise.

Maybe I should head over to the 820 thread.
post #5900 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Haven’t watch that in a long time. I have the DVD version in my library. Might have to check out the Blu-ray version and give it a try. I’m reluctant to spin a DVD now that Blu-ray and 4k versions are available.
The Blu Ray can be purchased (new) for under $6. Don't waste your time on the DVD version!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sunsh...ay/622/#Review
Jeffg8 likes this.
post #5901 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 13192 Post(s)
Liked: 10817
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 View Post
And we know all UPS/Fedex drivers treat these items with great care.

One thing is for sure. For my next JVC projector (hopefully not for a few more years), I will be driving down the Thruway 90 miles to Rochester to pick it up directly from AVS to avoid this issue.
We have had a lot better luck with UPS than we have had with Fedex.
Manni01 likes this.
post #5902 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Who’s running a Panny 820 with their RS1000/2000/3000?

What setting are you using for SDR and HDR?

Specifically are you using SDR/2020 or HDR/2020 for HDR?

I’ve seen the suggestion to be SDR/2020 for projectors. Why?
post #5903 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 View Post
And we know all UPS/Fedex drivers treat these items with great care. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]

One thing is for sure. For my next JVC projector (hopefully not for a few more years), I will be driving down the Thruway 90 miles to Rochester to pick it up directly from AVS to avoid this issue. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
We have had a lot better luck with UPS than we have had with Fedex.
Ya It's basically the luck of the draw on what hub your stuff ships in and out of and the loders/unloaders there and whether you get a driver that really cares about the packages or not. The foam is junk on alot projectors shipped .regular Styrofoam is junk and usually breaks. any shock to it doesn't hold up. My last 3 sony projectors all pieces were cracked when it arrived. The spongy foam is way better you also need something designed to not have all shock from handling or dropping of box transferred to the projector since delicate parts inside. I have worked at ups and seen what alot workers do to "load a truck" same with delivery drivers. And to alot of the employees fragile means throw it harder. And they believe it should be packed to be able to handle the abuse . Helps to have good relationship with the driver also.
deltagamma likes this.
post #5904 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Is this a JVC forum or a UPS / Fedex driver suck forum?

I commiserate with people getting their PJs dinged but can’t see how they fit this forum. Maybe start another thread guys?
Dandlj likes this.

Gear: Fronts: B&W 804D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W 684S2 | Heights: B&W DM601S3 | Subs: 3x PSA S1500 Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Monoprice Monolith 7x200 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #5905 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
movies I've saved in the last few months. Hopefully the next f/w update (expected in March) will solve a few niggles, especially with the DI that I preferred to switch off for now. But that won't stop me from enjoying the projector in the meantime.

Did I miss the link to your post re the recommended settings?

Also which DI niggles are you referring to? Please elaborate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gear: Fronts: B&W 804D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W 684S2 | Heights: B&W DM601S3 | Subs: 3x PSA S1500 Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Monoprice Monolith 7x200 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #5906 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
Right click on the desktop -> Display Settings and see if the other resolutions are listed in the slider. My Surface Laptop 2 also defaulted to 1920x1080 for some reason, but 3840x2160 and 4096x2160 were also listed and displayed perfectly. If using a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, ensure it supports 4k - the first one I used maxed out at 1920x1200.
Thanks. I knew how to do that, but it was only showing max of 1920x1080. Downloaded the latest video card driver and it auto switched to UHD. So a rookie mistake there!
dlinsley likes this.
post #5907 of 23920 Old 02-16-2019, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Again has anyone got a JVC in the Chicago area?
post #5908 of 23920 Old 02-17-2019, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 272 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked: 6943
Quote:
@ARROW-AV : I think I might understand why the brightness cut numbers with the filter are all over the place, ranging from 10% to 25%.

I've run lots of measurements on my rs2000 since I received it earlier this week and it looks like the filter doesn't cut as much light in low lamp and in high lamp (no idea why, as I wouldn't have expected it to behave that way).

Further to this, the number isn't the same if you report the cut or the gain.

As far as I can see, at least on my unit, it works that way with a P3 within BT2020 calibration:

In Low Lamp, iris fully open, mid-throw:
The filter cuts 20% of light (120nits with filter = a drop of 20% from the 150nits without).
Losing the filter brings back 25% of light (120nits with filter + 25% = 150nits without).
On my unit, the gamut goes from 99% of P3 with the filter to 85% of P3 without.
Losing the filter also reduces on/off contrast, as it goes from around 30,000:1 to around 25,000:1.

In High lamp, iris fully open, mid-throw:
The filter cuts 10% of light (165nits with filter = a drop of 10% from the 185nits without).
Losing the filter brings back 15% of light (165nits with filter + 15% = 185nits without).
The gamut cover and contrast changes are similar to low lamp.

My unit might sit on the low side re gamut cover due to a very sligth undersaturation on red, as I would have expected a bit over 100% of P3 with the filter and around 90% of P3 without.

This being said, especially in high lamp where the filter only cuts 10% of brightness to deliver 100% of P3 color volume (vs 85% without) and almost 20% more contrast (30K:1 vs 25K:1 without), my advice to use the filter if you can afford it stands, especially in high lamp, if my results are typical.

Even in low lamp, I happily take the 20% cut in brightness to get 100% of P3 and almost 20% more native on/off. With good tonemapping, 120nits (around 40fL) is more than enough to get an amazing picture.

This being said, saturations track very well with (BT2020 color profile) and without the filter (HDR color profile), so if one has to eek every ounce of brightness, using the HDR color profile remains a very valid choice and can be done without looking back or losing sleep over it

Please could you confirm if your "25%" meant 25% *gain* from the brightness measured with the filter, using low lamp? This means only a 20% *cut* and would start to confirm this theory. Also, if that's the case, if you could report numbers in high lamp that would be great.

Same for anyone who has reported filter measurements ( @Chad B , @Cine4Home )

If that's not the case, then I guess my theory is flawed

I have posted very detailed brightness, contrast, calibration (including saturation and luminance linearity tracking, gamma/greyscale, and color volume for both rec-709 and P3), recommended settings and first impressions in the new calibration thread for the 2019 models. It's only a data point of one, but I couldn't be happier. I'll answer any questions you might have regarding these measurements there.

Despite the slight step back in native contrast (from 40,000:1 with my rs500 to 30,000:1 native in my HDR calibration in low lamp iris fully open), the rs2000 throws the best picture I've seen in my cinema room. Sure, the black floor doesn't go as low as my rs500, but in every single other aspect, it's a significant improvement

For those who wonder and want the tldnr: I'm super happy with my rs2000. If you don't hear much from me over the next couple of days, weeks and possibly months, it's because I'm enjoying the projector and watching all the movies I've saved in the last few months. Hopefully the next f/w update (expected in March) will solve a few niggles, especially with the DI that I preferred to switch off for now. But that won't stop me from enjoying the projector in the meantime.

Hi Manni,

Thank you for your excellent feedback and contributions as always!

Interesting that your RS2000/NX7/N7 unit measures 85% of DCI-P3 within BT.2020 without the filter, whereas the RS3000/NX9 unit that Chad B evaluated measures 94%. This is a very wide range…

Regarding the percentage difference in light output between with and without using the color filter:

The calculation for percentage increase/loss is typically carried out as per follows:

Increase/Loss between X% and Y% = (Y% - X%) divided by X%

The first JVC RS3000/NX9 unit that I evaluated, measured a 25% difference, but I quite honestly can’t remember whether this was high or low lamp. But I will be evaluating and measuring 5 number units of each and every new model, namely JVC RS1000/NX5/N5, JVC RS2000/NX7/N7, and JVC RS3000/NX9, total 15 number units, just as soon as I receive delivery from JVC; wherein, for the respective models that include the color filter, namely the RS2000/NX7/N7 and JVC RS3000/NX9, total 10 number units, I will be taking comprehensive measurements with respect to both high lamp and low lamp including both the percentage difference in light output with and without the filter as well as the percentage gamut coverages (calculated using color volume)

Therefore, with respect to your units, the apples-with-apples measurements, when calculated using the typical method are as per follows:

LOW LAMP:

150 nits – 120 nits / 120 nits = 25% increase

120 nits – 150 nits / 150 nits = 20% loss

HIGH LAMP:

185 nits - 165 nits / 165 nits = 12% increase

165 nits - 185 nits / 185 nits = 11% loss

Very interesting to note that there is essentially HALF the light loss with respect to using the filter with HIGH LAMP as compared with LOW LAMP; wherein, given your unit is achieving only 85% of DCI-P3 color gamut within BT.2020 without the filter and there is only an 11% light loss with the filter with HIGH LAMP personally if I was presented with that situation I would choose for HDR to use HIGH LAMP with the color filter. So with respect to your unit we can see there is most certainly value in having the color filter. As and when I measure the total 10 units that will have the color filter, if the measurements follow a similar pattern, namely only circa 10 - 15% light loss with the filter with HIGH LAMP then this will be excellent news and will without a doubt mean that the color filter is a big USP for the RS2000/NX7/N7 versus the JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 as well as versus the comparative SONY projectors which do not have any such color filter at all

rwestley, mtbdudex and BruceJK like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 02-17-2019 at 08:33 AM.
post #5909 of 23920 Old 02-17-2019, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Correct me if I’m wrong please but I think a basic luminosity light meter that can check brightness could measure nit loss from using the filter.
Can a few more that have received their JVC RS2000/3000 or NX7/9 do a simple test and measure their projector brightness both with and without the filter in place at both low and high lamp setting?
post #5910 of 23920 Old 02-17-2019, 07:21 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 3100 Post(s)
Liked: 2223
Quote:
Correct me if I’m wrong please but I think a basic luminosity light meter that can check brightness could measure nit loss from using the filter.

Can a few more that have received their JVC RS2000/3000 or NX7/9 do a simple test and measure their projector brightness both with and without the filter in place at both low and high lamp setting?
Not really. You need to calibrate the white point for each to D65 white for the comparison to be valid. If one is greener it will also measure brighter, but the extra brightness is useless.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx5 , nx7 , nx9 , rs1000 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page