Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 212 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17777Likes

post #6331 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Can anyone confirm the command to load a lens memory on these would be:

x21/x89/x01/x49/x4e/x4d/x4c/x(30-39)/x0A

Looking to get my iRule setup, and reading the control documentation, and thinking that's what it comes out to for those. Or am I reading it wrong?

The codes I downloaded from iRule have a single Lens Memory command, and it looks like it's a remote control command, so I'm assuming that is just to bring up the lens memory menu and not to load any directly.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6332 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutiger View Post
What is the start-up time on an RS2000/NX7?
2:25 here. Timed from pressing power button on remote to D-ILA screen.
post #6333 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
My ~1 minute above is on an RS2000. 1.20 firmware. I wonder why there is so much variability.
Tom Bley likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6334 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
My ~1 minute above is on an RS2000. 1.20 firmware. I wonder why there is so much variability.

I have the same firmware. Not sure, everthing works well otherwise. It does concern me a little bit though. I've only powered it up 3 times and didn't even notice the first two times I powered it up because I was doing other things but, with the 3rd power up I timed it with the stop watch on my phone. I'll check again tomorrow night.
post #6335 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Wow! So I guess if one is going to watch a movie on the NX7, you turn it on and THEN go use the bathroom.

Sure hope the next update makes the start up time more reasonable.
post #6336 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 5019 Post(s)
Liked: 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
Wow! So I guess if one is going to watch a movie on the NX7, you turn it on and THEN go use the bathroom.

Sure hope the next update makes the start up time more reasonable.
You turn it on, eat dinner, and then start watching.

The purists would warm up their projector for 45 minutes so that they can enjoy the movie in the projector’s calibrated state.

I’m not kidding. There are those who do that.
post #6337 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
The purists would warm up their projector for 45 minutes so that they can enjoy the movie in the projector’s calibrated state.

I’m not kidding. There are those who do that.
There's probably a big overlap between that group and those MadVR kooks.
Brandon B and dkersten like this.
post #6338 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 340
This thread is about to get busy again, I think. Just got the call from Mike that my RS2000 is on its way!
smitty, Drem, Craig Peer and 4 others like this.
post #6339 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6787 Post(s)
Liked: 6789
Quote:
I have never timed it, but the 540U we have takes 1-2 minutes for sure. Just enough time to get settled in I guess.
Tom Bley likes this.
post #6340 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 7107 Post(s)
Liked: 8442
Quote:
I have the same firmware. Not sure, everthing works well otherwise. It does concern me a little bit though. I've only powered it up 3 times and didn't even notice the first two times I powered it up because I was doing other things but, with the 3rd power up I timed it with the stop watch on my phone. I'll check again tomorrow night.
It's giving you time to open a fine bottle of wine, and pour everyone a glass !
Tom Bley and Dave Vaughn like this.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #6341 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
Sounds terrible? If the start up time is the only issue with the projector I would say it’s a non-issue.

I’m not even sure how long it takes my X790 to start up. I usually grab the remote, turn everything on, walk away and come back in a few minutes when everything is ready to go.
To me that´s definitely an issue. A couple of minutes ( I interpret that as 3+ minutes) is nowhere near acceptable. Imagine you get home late, the final is on and you sit there and pray for your projector to start up...

Sounds like a very bad thing to me.
post #6342 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
It's giving you time to open a fine bottle of wine, and pour everyone a glass !
Everyone. I guess that's me, myself and I.
Craig Peer and Reddig like this.
post #6343 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
It's not a difference of 98/100 vs 100/100.
You are missing my point, which is probably my fault as I am not explaining it right or something.

The way you are saying things, it makes it sound like you felt your rs4500 was a piece of junk without MadVR. Bottom of the barrel and if you had to rate it on a scale of 1-100, you would give it a 50, meaning it could be easily twice as good overall. Boy, you had a really crappy projector before MadVR made those changes a few weeks ago and made it twice as good, bringing it up to a near 100 out of 100. Night and Day, Twice as good, easily, right?

But we both know that is a load of hooey. Your rs4500 is easily considered one of the best projectors you can buy for under $100k. So adding MadVR doesn't make it twice as good, it makes it incrementally better as a whole. We have top notch theaters, and while one particular aspect might gain significant improvement with an upgrade, the overall performance of the theater doesn't suddenly skyrocket. If one small aspect change suddenly makes it "night and day" better, then it sucked ass before.

So if you already feel like your HDR performance with a custom curve or tone mapping is excellent, 95% of perfect, and almost as good as it can get, improving it doesn't suddenly make it twice as good. It makes it incrementally better. And even if your HDR was crap before and suddenly it is better by an order of magnitude, your top end projector didn't suddenly get better, only one small aspect of it did. That is also an incremental change.

All that being said, I do understand what MadVR is doing, and I am not trying to take away how much better it is than regular static data based tone mapping. I won't even argue that the producer or director or cinematographer may have wanted it to all be based off a certain set of parameters, leaving dark scenes dark and some bright scenes overly bright and blown out, because it is all semantics. The fact is, between the way you view content and the way your theater is set up, adding MadVR with an HTPC *added* and didn't *subtract* from your theater. That's awesome!. In my setup I would be sacrificing one of the major properties of my theater, something I have spent a lot of money and time to make work nearly perfectly, and for an incremental improvement in the overall quality of my theater, it isn't worth it, especially when you consider that it would only affect 3% of my total viewing experience. The JVC built in tone mapping is an incremental improvement for me over my current custom curve, one I could make without sacrificing my simplistic setup. The DCR lens will be an incremental change in viewing scope, one that in some respects will simplify the operation of my theater even further (more because of the JVC memories than anything else). I am getting two very nice incremental improvements to my theater (which I already feel is worth the money), and the last thing I am going to do is think it is all suddenly crap that can be twice as good with MadVR.

Now, if the internal tone mapping of the JVC ends up being a step down from what I had with the Epson using the custom curve, then I will have to rethink some things, starting with why I made such a bad decision buying the JVC. I hope it doesn't come to that.
post #6344 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventidal View Post
To me that´s definitely an issue. A couple of minutes ( I interpret that as 3+ minutes) is nowhere near acceptable. Imagine you get home late, the final is on and you sit there and pray for your projector to start up...

Sounds like a very bad thing to me.
that's what a dvr is for

Rex
post #6345 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Strange thing happened last night. I had the projector running for about 4 hours. Watched a movie and then played some Xbox One X. While I was playing, the screen went black, I looked back at the projector and all the lights were flashing. I gave it a minute, and clicked the power button again. The projector turned back on but I'm not sure what caused it to shutdown that way.

JVC DLA-NX9 | Paladin Anamorphic Lens | Panasonic UB820 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Rotel RB 993 Amp | 135" 2:35:1 Elunevision Aurora NanoEdge Ambient Light Blocking Screen | Paradigm Monitor 11 v7, Monitor Center 3 v7, Monitor Surround 3 v7, CI Pro P65-R |
post #6346 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1960 Post(s)
Liked: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
Now, if the internal tone mapping of the JVC ends up being a step down from what I had with the Epson using the custom curve, then I will have to rethink some things, starting with why I made such a bad decision buying the JVC. I hope it doesn't come to that.
You'll be happy with the JVC auto tone mapping. When given the right metadata it works great and any other processing including MadVR is just for taste and probably is changing the filmmakers original intent.

When the metadata is incorrect then it might take some adjusting but honestly it is pretty easy to dial in a good presentation with a little tweaking.

All of it boils down to personal taste in the end.
smitty and dkersten like this.
post #6347 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankiy View Post
Strange thing happened last night. I had the projector running for about 4 hours. Watched a movie and then played some Xbox One X. While I was playing, the screen went black, I looked back at the projector and all the lights were flashing. I gave it a minute, and clicked the power button again. The projector turned back on but I'm not sure what caused it to shutdown that way.
You reached the 3 hour time limit of the JVC.
DLCPhoto likes this.
post #6348 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Blade runner 2049 (Sony version) is a great example. There's never been a setting where that movie looked great on my theater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
I think the NX9 has good auto tone mapping as long as your screen isnt too large. I have a 145" diag scope screen Stewart ST 130 curved microperf, Im told this is 1.2 gain as a microperf. I just couldnt get the NX9 to look bright enough on this size screen on high lamp HDR, the image lacked pop.
I find this interesting, since the NX7/rs2000 was used by Lygren to demo a 13' wide v6 dreamscreen at the last couple shows. That is a ~.83 gain screen, roughly the same width as mine (I'm at 150"), not a ~1.2 gain Stewart (basically the same gain I am using). He said the image was fantastic, specifically on Blade Runner 2049. This example is one I used to feel better about my purchase... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57412026 Previous to this he used the Sony 5000 light cannon, and he prefered the far cheaper JVC with far less light just because of the tone mapping that is built in (and the better contrast).

But hey, it's all subjective. Some people are totally satisfied with the tone mapping in the JVC, some aren't. I will reserve my judgement for the cold day in Hell when my rs2000 finally arrives, lol. As long as it is better than what I have now, I will be satisfied with my upgrade.

Last edited by dkersten; 02-21-2019 at 11:15 AM.
post #6349 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
You reached the 3 hour time limit of the JVC.

LOL. damn 3 hour limit.. hehe
Tom Bley likes this.

JVC DLA-NX9 | Paladin Anamorphic Lens | Panasonic UB820 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Rotel RB 993 Amp | 135" 2:35:1 Elunevision Aurora NanoEdge Ambient Light Blocking Screen | Paradigm Monitor 11 v7, Monitor Center 3 v7, Monitor Surround 3 v7, CI Pro P65-R |
post #6350 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
Oh believe me, the lights in theaters bug me a great deal. It's been a few years since I went to the Barrywoods one, but recall the red lights. I think the Town Center one had them at first too. Thankfully TC and Olathe have blue lights now (and Olathe is quite a bit larger than TC). Even with the lights, the picture has been far better than almost any other theater in the area.

Maybe there are some markets where they aren't the best, and another theater ups the ante, but I cannot believe for an instant that they would ever be anything close to "the worst experience ever."
One of the best theaters is the Silver Spot in Naples FL
They use very dark exit signs, no spillage and great pic.
Reddig likes this.
post #6351 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The projector does not shut off. It can only go down to it's projected black level, which would be the same in either case.
Thats not right Mike, the iris is working different when you use the JVC tone mapping, it doesnt fade to black, others have mentioned this also. When you play SDR the iris closes all the way down, JVC need to fix this for HDR, but doesnt worry me as I dont use its tone mapping.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #6352 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
I find this interesting, since the NX7 was used by Lygren to demo a 13' wide v6 dreamscreen at the last couple shows. That is a ~.83 gain screen, roughly the same width as mine (I'm at 150"), not a ~1.2 gain Stewart (basically the same gain I am using). He said the image was fantastic, specifically on Blade Runner 2049. This example is one I used to feel better about my purchase... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57412026

But hey, it's all subjective. Some people are totally satisfied with the tone mapping in the JVC, some aren't. I will reserve my judgement for the cold day in Hell when my rs2000 finally arrives, lol. As long as it is better than what I have now, I will be satisfied with my upgrade.
Im sure you will be more than happy with the tone mapping on your new NX2000 when it arrives. I was also very happy with it on my NX9 as it was the first time I had used my HDR titles with a good result. However since I had been using madvr for many many years and having over 1500 BDs on my Nas, I thought I should try the new dynamic tone mapping on madvr since it had just become public round two weeks ago, thats when I noticed the "night & day" between the two. I stumbled across it by shear accident, but thrilled I did.

Its different for you, you have never used madvr so you dont have any comparison how it upscales to 4K or tone maps dynamically, when you cant compare one is always happy with the results they currently get.

I was like that many years ago, hearing how good madvr was all the time,...... it was very frustrating just wondering how something could be better than the great results I already had, but in the end I feel down the rabbit hole and got hooked

I once had a Lumagen Pro, I dont use it in my system now. But then my system is simple, just madvr with 1500 BDs on a Nas, dont stream or do anything else
markmon1 and dkersten like this.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018

Last edited by RapalloAV; 02-21-2019 at 11:26 AM.
post #6353 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Quoted: 12701 Post(s)
Liked: 10321
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
I would not get hung up on it. By mid March, I suspect it will be different.
smitty likes this.
post #6354 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I would not get hung up on it. By mid March, I suspect it will be different.
Thanks, Mike! I really can't complain otherwise.
post #6355 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1960 Post(s)
Liked: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankiy View Post
Sounds like it over heated. Is your projector mounted so that it has sufficient clearance and room for the exhaust vents? Are you at a location that is above 3000' in elevation? If so then you need to be running your fan in high altitude mode.
post #6356 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
The 20 Series added better HDR support and a gaming / low lag mode. The 40 Series was just a slight improvement on that. Many long time projector owners here that had RS600's didn't feel it worth while to upgrade to either of those models. They have upgraded to the RS2000 / 3000 models however. So if there are new models this year, expect minor improvements and some spit and polish only. I'm just basing that on 17 years of watching this show as a hobbyist.
I asked my dealer his thoughts on these models getting replaced so soon and his comment was:

"No, haven’t heard anything. And I would literally bet real money that there will not be any new models coming at CEDIA."

As for problems, he's delivered all three models and had zero complaints so far.

On long boot times "Projectors always take quite a while to boot up, and 4K HDMI handshake issues prolong it further" So possibly the variances in boot times could be due to handshaking? That's just me speculating. It shouldn't vary by much though I wouldn't think.

He also hasn't been informed what the cause of the initial delay was but thinks the CPU overheating claim is "pure internet conjecture". He was going to ask JVC if there's any validity to the claim, however. Probably after I get my RS-2000, it'll be confirmed and new replacement models announced.
Brandon B, mbw23air and Craig Peer like this.
post #6357 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Given the cost of these projectors, particularly the NX7 and NX9, and given that some projectors received by Arrow have not been within spec, does it make sense to purchase a light meter to check that your new projector is giving you something close to the specified lumens? If so, what light meter that is economical would you guys recommend? And is it correct that the meters that are compatible with the AutoCal software (e.g., the Syder 5) would not be suitable for this purpose?
post #6358 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 12:31 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked: 1888
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
Given the cost of these projectors, particularly the NX7 and NX9, and given that some projectors received by Arrow have not been within spec, does it make sense to purchase a light meter to check that your new projector is giving you something close to the specified lumens? If so, what light meter that is economical would you guys recommend? And is it correct that the meters that are compatible with the AutoCal software (e.g., the Syder 5) would not be suitable for this purpose?
As an absolute measurement device the Spyder isn't very good. It only works well for gamma because all the measurements end up being self-relative to its own measured peak white.

I think for absolute light measurement you'd want a light meter or a much better colorimeter / spectro.
post #6359 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Paid for my RS2000 today, should be here late next week. Here weeeee gooooooo (finally haha)
post #6360 of 19414 Old 02-21-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
As an absolute measurement device the Spyder isn't very good. It only works well for gamma because all the measurements end up being self-relative to its own measured peak white.

I think for absolute light measurement you'd want a light meter or a much better colorimeter / spectro.
So would something like this be sufficient just for measuring projector lumens?

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Meter-Digi...rum-convert-20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page