Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 228 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13320Likes

post #6811 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
For me the projector is inaudible at low lamp with HA off and HA takes it over the audibility threshold. Also high altitude makes the high lamp fan even louder. High lamp may be a bit less objectionable to people who don't need to run HA mode.
At sea level, the fan is inaudible at low lamp and a bit more apparent than the RS500 at high lamp with audio volume muted (but essentially still inaudible during movie playback). My NX7 is mounted about 4-5 feet above and 2 feet behind the MLP. Also, power-up to D-ILA screen is under 45 seconds and initial HDMI handshake is under 1 minute with v1.17. My PJ does NOT show evidence of yellowing of white text during credits with DI engaged (in any user mode).
mattztt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6812 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Unplug your Ruipro HDMI Fiber cable and time the projector startup. Some fiber optic cables take a lot of voltage from the HDMI port to the point that could cause the device to crash. This was the case with the Emotiva XMC-1 New V3 HDMI Board and some fiber optic cables.
I’ll try unplugging my HDMI cable when I get home after work. Thanks.

I unplugged the HDMI cable and cranked up the PJ. Same thing. This time an improved clocking: 6 mins and 9 secs.

Last edited by Renerator; 02-26-2019 at 03:06 PM.
post #6813 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I just timed mine (RS2000, firmware 1.20) - 57 seconds from power on to D-ILA logo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6814 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6405 Post(s)
Liked: 6399
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutiger View Post

So the biggest problem with the new series of projectors seems to be fan noise on high lamp. I'm inclined to move the projector to the back of my theater on a shelf which would probably extend it 8-10 ft from where it would be anyway. I think I already have to move it further back from where my AE7000 is because I replaced the screen with a 135" 16x9 (from a 120") and it's too close, but I don't want to do anything until my RS2000 gets here. What is the throw range? Isn't there a calculator page somewhere?
Can you use a open hush box in your setup? May be less work in the end, there is also the perk of never buying a mount again. >>> Here is Mine <<<
Reddig likes this.
post #6815 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Can you use a open hush box in your setup? May be less work in the end, there is also the perk of never buying a mount again. >>> Here is Mine <<<
Does an *open* box really have all that much hush? I assumed I'd have to build something that fully enclosed the projector if I really wanted to quiet it down.
Reddig likes this.
post #6816 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott KL View Post
Hi,

New N7 owner here. I am a completely new to owning a projector and my dealer has installed and calibrated the projector since last weekend. I have a couple of questions.

1. The calibrator mentioned he was getting 18.6ftL in BT2020 and still less than 20ftL in HDR color profile high lamp mode.

I have a 130" 2.40 1.0 gain screen, projector 15' from screen in a fully light controlled room.

Does this seem reasonable? From the projectorcentral calculator it shows I should be getting 31ftL so how can the figures be so different?

2. Having only had the projector a few days there is some dust build up which seems to be on the inside of the lens but the installer says this is on the outside and normal, no need to clean. Is this correct? Picture below.

Thanks.
I set your screen gain to 0.9. Because manufacturers lie Factor in natural product variance, you're about where I would expect.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NX7.png
Views:	164
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	2531402  

Last edited by JohnnyWilkinson; 02-26-2019 at 11:53 AM.
post #6817 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post
Candles are almost as bad. As they burn down you can see the darker smoke rising off the wick. That dark smoke is really soot.

Don't do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoy View Post
I run a window cleaning business. When doing places where they have fireplaces, or burn candles or incense, the water in my bucket turns black as ink by the time I wash five or six windows. Even though they don't look dirty, those windows are covered by a thin layer of soot. Believe me, if you burn candles, incense or have your projector in a room with an open fireplace or combustion fireplace, soot will be all over your projector. Will it damage it badly? Probably not, but it aint doing it any good either. If you can avoid it, leave the burning things out of your theatre.
Combustion stuff is one thing, but what about humidifier's during drier months, vapor pens, etc. which is just essentially moisture...or to an even lesser extent, and one that may affect me personally is my wife's essential oil diffusers. No combustion, no parabens, just scented moisture. My guess is any of these, assuming the moisture level in the room doesn't get exorbitantly high would be ok...best avoided, but still much better than the aforementioned.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #6818 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
I would also say leave the lens alone, I haven't cleaned my lens ever in 5 years, there are tons of particles on it but it doesn't affect the image.
The problem is a rougher particle could get between the lens cloth and the lens and smudge it, then suddenly you have a smudge.
Now you have to clean it even harder to try to get the smudge out, and then a particle could potentially scratch the lens (or smudge it worse).
Agreed. I cleaned mine once and it left a permanent mark. There is a coating on the lens that you don't want to mess with. Use canned air and blow off the dust regularly. Don't blow on it or you might accidentally spit on it. Seriously.

Surround Theater: Panasonic DP-UB820-> Yamaha CX-A5200-> Emotiva amps-> Paradigm Persona 9H, JL Fathom v2, JVC NX-5
Two channel: Custom Audio Linux Server (sCLK-EX modified motherboard, Mutec REF 10)->AL NUC NA->Holo Spring L3 DAC ->Audio Research LS28->Benchmark AHB2 ->Paradigm Persona 9H Analog: VPI Prime (Ortofon Quintet Black)-> Simaudio Neo 310LP
post #6819 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slots1 View Post
Still no projectors in Chicago, really!!
I got my NX5 and I'm in the Chicago area.

Surround Theater: Panasonic DP-UB820-> Yamaha CX-A5200-> Emotiva amps-> Paradigm Persona 9H, JL Fathom v2, JVC NX-5
Two channel: Custom Audio Linux Server (sCLK-EX modified motherboard, Mutec REF 10)->AL NUC NA->Holo Spring L3 DAC ->Audio Research LS28->Benchmark AHB2 ->Paradigm Persona 9H Analog: VPI Prime (Ortofon Quintet Black)-> Simaudio Neo 310LP
post #6820 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Combustion stuff is one thing, but what about humidifier's during drier months, vapor pens, etc. which is just essentially moisture...or to an even lesser extent, and one that may affect me personally is my wife's essential oil diffusers. No combustion, no parabens, just scented moisture. My guess is any of these, assuming the moisture level in the room doesn't get exorbitantly high would be ok...best avoided, but still much better than the aforementioned.
A plain humidifier is fine. It's just introducing moisture to the air which should not condense on the lens. Anything else, including vape pens, can leave behind a residue. The visible component of vape pens is primary glycerin, not water. It's an oily liquid and possibly worse than some of the other contaminants because it will stick to a surface and then encourage other substances to stick to it.
console and JeffR1 like this.
post #6821 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
When we had our get together on Sunday with 8 other forum members here are some observations I think most came away with. Guys chime in if anything is wrong or additional.

1) We agreed High Lamp is loud, everyone thought that.

6) This thing is big, everyone commented on that.

I think the optimal throw for this projector depending on screen is no more than 20% more than minimal throw distance. I am at about 35%. If I did not have the DCR lens I would want to move it up for brightness.
Agreed, the high lamp is too loud. My proj sits back about 12 ft and I sit at about 10 ft. I won't run it at high lamp unless I move it back much further. Even then I'll still hear it. I'll do a db check on it and report the noise level. I don't live near an airport or train tracks for a reason.

It is a big arse projector. I don't think the size negatively impacts anything though.

post #6822 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jszei View Post
Are there some common out of the box settings for the NX series that people are changing? Granted there will be custom variations based on the source, room and screen. I'm just trying to get a good baseline.
What Picture Mode, Color Profile and Gamma mode, MPC settings are you all using for TV content and 4k HDR player content?
Has anyone compared the scaling capability of this projector against their pre or a stand alone scaler like the DVDO?
Bumping these questions as they got buried by a side discussion.
Applemike68 likes this.

post #6823 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
I never had a problem so much with cheap meters reading lumens over 500+.
I had checked mine against a good meter before, sold the good meter because it was reading roughly the same and didn't need it anymore.

I've tried several cheap meters, the largest error I ever saw was 17% (but then that was around 300 lumen reading), most were under 6% error. The average was at worst 8% I'd say.
I'm sure a cheap meter can give a really bad reading, but it should be fine to give a general idea. Of course it shows LUX (not lumens), but I remember things as lumens...

If something was off 30%, it was broken - dropped - or something, that's way out of spec even for a cheapo meter.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 02-26-2019 at 02:52 PM.
post #6824 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
When we had our get together on Sunday with 8 other forum members here are some observations I think most came away with. Guys chime in if anything is wrong or additional.

1) We agreed High Lamp is loud, everyone thought that.
2) The difference in picture brightness at my throw between High and Low lamp was small. So I keep it in low.
3) QBF pattern was great across the screen. I think I got a good sample and these are sharp projectors
4) People who had 540's etc clearly said these are much sharper
5) Black not quite as good as the old e-shift but still good
5) DCR lens takes everything to a different level. Brighter and a even better picture.
6) This thing is big, everyone commented on that.

I think the optimal throw for this projector depending on screen is no more than 20% more than minimal throw distance. I am at about 35%. If I did not have the DCR lens I would want to move it up for brightness.
Thanks for this feedback.

I'm quite noise sensitive so I'm going to need a way to hush these things if I end up with this projector (or probably any high end projector, tbh)
post #6825 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Candles and Incense

Well, solving one problem at a time. I received my candle warmer this afternoon. Works pretty damn good. 2 more issues to solve. 1) the slight bend down of the image to lower right corner of the screen. 2) 6 minutes and 9 seconds startup time. Other than that my NX7 is quite impressive. Love it. Regarding #1 the bend down image, in the Installation Mode of Menu, I've tried to make adjustment to the image using the shift and zoom options in LENS CONTROL to no avail. Second to the last option of PINCUSHION remains unhighlighted, as in not available for adjustment. Can someone say how to turn this option on or make it available?

Last edited by Renerator; 02-26-2019 at 03:26 PM.
post #6826 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Who else is enjoying 3D? It puts up a beautiful image, i’m sure it’s not as clean as a DLP but the contrast is very nice on it.
Reddig likes this.
post #6827 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11822 Post(s)
Liked: 9357
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renerator View Post
Well, solving one problem at a time. I received my candle warmer this afternoon. Works pretty damn good. 2 more issues to solve. 1) the slight bend down of the image to lower right corner of the screen. 2) 6 minutes and 9 seconds startup time. Other than that my NX7 is quite impressive. Love it. Regarding #1 the bend down image, in the Installation Mode of Menu, I've tried to make adjustment to the image using the shift and zoom options in LENS CONTROL to no avail. Second to the last option of PINCUSHION remains unhighlighted, as in not available for adjustment. Can someone say how to turn this option on or make it available?
You do not want to use pincushion. You need to align the projector lens with the screen. You do that by physically moving the projector. Then you use lens shift to move the image back onto the screen.
Josh Z and Renerator like this.
post #6828 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Next someone's going to tell me I can't eat Mexican food a few hours before entering my theater.
davidahn, Craig Peer and Reddig like this.
post #6829 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWilkinson View Post
That calculator puts the rated lumens of the rs2000/NX7 at 1800 and the calibrated lumens at 1260.. that doesn't sound right. Rated is 1900, I would assume calibrated would be around 1500-1600 based on what I have read to date.
davidahn likes this.
post #6830 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Ya my wifes oil diffuser leaves behind residue. Thankfully she rarely uses it anymore except in the bedroom., which is on a different level.
Dave Vaughn and beastaudio like this.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #6831 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
markman, since there are a number of people on this thread who have asked for information and help using madvr dynamic tone mapping, what do you think we start a new thread sharing our thoughts and settings for madvr and madvr tone mapping using the new JVCs? There are a few on here that dont seem to want madvr talk taking up space, and the "4K build an HTPC" thread sometimes gets bogged down with other related talk....

The problem with many of the HTPC/madvr threads is most who use them dont use projectors, as you know the settings are very different for a projector. I think if there was a thread say, "Madvr/Madvr Tone Mapping with JVC NX Proj Set-Up", would be a great help for those with projectors who are new to madvr, Im happy to help....

Unless there is such a thread already for madvr/projs but Ive never seen one. I subscribe to all the related ones here and on other forums, but never seen one for projs.... If its not you maybe someone else may start something, it cant be me even though I have used madvr for years and years with JVCs Im still not qaulified enough to take the lead....
This is an awesome idea! I have been playing with some settings and I am not sure I am getting the best results due to, like you said, settings are quite different for projectors.

We should start a thread for just the RS/NX JVC owners that are going to use either the GTX or RTX cards for MadVR.

I nominate you....lol
Nexgen76 likes this.
post #6832 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
That calculator puts the rated lumens of the rs2000/NX7 at 1800 and the calibrated lumens at 1260.. that doesn't sound right. Rated is 1900, I would assume calibrated would be around 1500-1600 based on what I have read to date.
Good point about the rated lumens. Weird that the tool has it wrong.

No idea on calibrated lumens....
post #6833 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 293
If you have a chief mount and plan on using the stock screws that come with it, I wouldn't advise it. I picked up some extra screws based on the post in here that says they are too small, and they were totally right. This is the screw that came with my mount dropped in the hole without being tightened, there is maybe 2 or 3 threads that would engage. I replaced with 25MM screws since that is the max length in the manual.

Quote:
post #6834 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4643 Post(s)
Liked: 2945
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
Is there a hex representation of PJREQ or anything, or is the data just "PJREQ"? I added the PJREQ command that was with the iRule codes I downloaded to all of my buttons (in the first position) and it did not work. Do you use the "Network" or "HTTP" Gateway type? When I try the Network type and use TCP, that connection shows as red on the app. When I use HTTP, it's green, but the commands still don't work.
Sure you can use an ascii table like http://www.asciitable.com/ and translate the individual characters. Cap P is 50 hex on the chart, for example.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #6835 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Keep in mind, Jav's bought a cheap meter, thinking it would be close. Once it was actually profiled against a good calibrated meter, he found his cheap meter was off over 30% on the low side. You just do not know what you have with the cheap meters, unless you can profile them against a calibrated meter.
Here ya go:

https://sustainingplaces.files.wordp...eter-tests.pdf

Testing against a $600 Sekonic meter, I generally found the same the above tester did, but in my testing, the meters were even slightly more accurate (instead of 6%, I usually saw 3% to 4% differences). The cheap meters were all within 8% generally speaking, but the one I kept has a 1% to 3% difference to the $600 Sekonic meter I used.

However, the error of the way people calculate the lumens due to their positioning of the meter with their wrists (and sloppy rounding and adding) can be as much as 20%+...
Craig Peer likes this.

Last edited by coderguy; 02-26-2019 at 08:18 PM.
post #6836 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
This is an awesome idea! I have been playing with some settings and I am not sure I am getting the best results due to, like you said, settings are quite different for projectors.

We should start a thread for just the RS/NX JVC owners that are going to use either the GTX or RTX cards for MadVR.

I nominate you....lol
There is one- https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...tor-build.html
post #6837 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
Who else is enjoying 3D? It puts up a beautiful image, i’m sure it’s not as clean as a DLP but the contrast is very nice on it.
I absolutely love the 3D on mine! Watched The Walk and Smallfoot the other day &#x1f642;
jorgebetancourt likes this.

JVC DLA-NX9 | Panasonic UB820 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Rotel RB 993 Amp | 135" 2:35:1 Elunevision Aurora NanoEdge Ambient Light Blocking Screen | Paradigm Monitor 11 v7, Monitor Center 3 v7, Monitor Surround 3 v7, CI Pro P65-R |
post #6838 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renerator View Post
Sounds like your projector is twisted to the right. What you need to do, is twist it to the left until the bottom is all square, then use the lens shift to move the image to the right to get it back onto the screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #6839 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 05:31 PM

If someone wants an accurate cheap light meter, the Extech ones on Ebay are pretty good. They were the best one from my own testing, but I only tested 2 (so not a very good sample size).
You can find some of them used on Ebay cheap. For instance, the Extech 401025 retails for $115 new on Amazon ($280 certified), but you can find them used on Ebay under $50.
They will generally read within 3% of a $1000+ meter.

I have 4 different light meters, 2 of them are Extechs. I had more before I sold them back, you can just buy them used, play around with them, then sell them back on Ebay for the same price you paid. I've had about 8 different light meters (over the years), only one expensive one, but didn't need it after all.

Last edited by coderguy; 02-26-2019 at 06:05 PM.
post #6840 of 14096 Old 02-26-2019, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Hey guys what the most accurate settings out of the box for HDR? I am using the below and skin tones look too red.

Picture mode : hdr
Color Profile : hdr
Color temp: hdr10
gamma: hdr(pq)
mpc all set to 0
motion only low latency is on

Edit: figured it out, you have to use power law gamma with madvr.

Last edited by grendelrt; 02-26-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page