Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 234 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16445Likes

post #6991 of 17821 Old 02-28-2019, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisLJacob View Post
So of the two production units that made it to you guys, are they functioning correctly? Any damages or problems?
I have had some issues which Ive mentioned weeks ago in this thread and JVC also know about it. Shipping has been absolutly perfect! The other one I dont know anything about except that it was installed to a customer by an AV company, Im sure that person doesnt read forums...

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018

Last edited by RapalloAV; 02-28-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6992 of 17821 Old 02-28-2019, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
How does one know if they have a noisy DI? I honestly don't even know if or when the DI engages. When is it suppose to? There is some part that is noisy when I switch between picture modes, but that lasts for a few seconds and I haven't heard it at any other time except when switching.

I have really not done much of anything with settings as of yet. Haven't touched brightness or contrast or color. Haven't changed any auto1/auto2/manual settings. Haven't even looked at convergence yet. I've been too busy trying to figure out the HDMI issue with my Zappiti, which might not be as resolved as I thought. After testing new cables on Monday and everything working, I ran the cable through the wall Wednesday and tested last night, only for it not to be working again. I did swap the HDMI cable back and forth from my avr to the Zappiti and back again and it was working last night when I went to bed. Hopefully, this doesn't turn into a luck of the draw situation where sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I only get a few hours a night to do anything in the theater, once the baby goes to sleep, and half of my nights are taken up by basketball or going to AMC (yay A-List). I should get more time with it tonight, though I'll be mostly playing a game and not tinkering too much.

Trust me, you will know if it’s noisy. If you can’t hear anything when using auto 1 or 2 then your DI is fine. Mine sounds like an old servo motor with grinding gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6993 of 17821 Old 02-28-2019, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigq View Post
I know it’s off topic, but given how many people said they’d be interested in madVRs dynamic tone mapping if it was available as a separate device for HDMI streams, it looks like it is happening.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57673062

No real details yet but looks like something should be coming soon.
So will this be a stand alone unit like a Lumagen or still a HTPC setup?

Theater Room - JVC RS2000, Dalite 148" Scope, Pioneer SC-65, Panasonic UB820, Energy APS 5+2(2), Energy AC 300(1), Energy CR-3(4), PSA 15"Sub(2)
Sports Room - JVC RS4810, Dalite 106" 16:9, Onkyo TX-SR875, Oppo BDP-103, Energy C-7(2) w/Energy S8.2(2), Energy C-C3(1) w/Energy S10.2(1), Energy CR-3(3), Energy S12.3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6994 of 17821 Old 02-28-2019, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cutter View Post
So will this be a stand alone unit like a Lumagen or still a HTPC setup?
If its a standalone unit count me in, if its still a HTPC its not for *me*. However its looking positive for the former due to the "No HTPC required"-

http://envy.madvr.com/
post #6995 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 12:07 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked: 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
I assume, (but am not completely sure) that this is related to the reported Auto DI yellowing issue, but to me, the blow-out is way worse than any yellowing. It also does NOT happen whatsoever when closing the iris down manually, so as speculated, it seems to be a software gamma algorithm issue. I am just surprised that I have not seen anyone describe seeing blow-out from the auto iris, only yellowing which is why I am asking this.
Edit: Having looked at the photos, I think this will just be in the realms of scenes that the DI algo can't deal with, and I don't think it will be anything new. The only reason JVC can achieve high DI multipliers is because there is a lot of gamma modification happening; I (and others) have thought that JVC could offer a less aggressive mode where the iris isn't closed down so much, which might aleviate such issues.

I'm not arguing that they shouldn't make it better or that you shouldn't make an issue of it (you should! maybe it will get improved, good real-world test images are key), I'm just saying that I think you've probably just captured a couple of perfect scenes for showing why there are a significant number of us that just can't bring ourselves to use the DI implementation in the JVCs to date.

Last edited by bobof; 03-01-2019 at 12:15 AM.
post #6996 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by midblue View Post

[*]Xbox One X passes through MaxFALL/MaxCLL metadata for UHD discs when available, but nothing for games. (This may be covered elsewhere in the thread, but I had that question myself and I thought others might be curious)
Yup this is normal ,neither Xbox or PS4 output metadata for gaming. PC does output metadata but there is currently a bug in Nvidia drivers that all the metadata is labeled 1000 / 20.

A lot of games have tone mapping settings in them though which is nice.
post #6997 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Well, after ordering at the first of October, I finally received my RS2000 on Wednesday evening. I opted for the "ship straight from the port" shipping and was surprised to see that it was still placed in a second box with giant bubble-wrap around the manufacturer's box. As a result, the outer box was unmarked, no "fragile", no "this side up" and I walked out to the UPS truck where I was pleased that the driver had already put the hand truck out to bring it up to my house. However, due to no markings on the box he brought it out of the truck to the dolly by "rolling" it end-over-end on its side . The good news is, after I got it opened up, there was no shipping damage and the styrofoam wasn't even cracked.

I am a first-time projector owner coming from a nearly 20 year-old 3-gun CRT RPTV, the Pioneer Elite PRO-610HD (1080i). Granted, it was about the best picture of that generation and thanks to optics cleaning and calibration is still amazing for that technology. But let me just say, the RS2000 right out of the box on my 120" 2.41 scope Stewart ST100 screen using the Paladin DCR is MIND BLOWING! It has firmware 1.21 and I have been following this thread since the beginning but I can't tell what the update fixed (it still has yellow on some low APL shots like credits). There is no DI noise, I can hear the filter move in and the High Lamp fan noise is definitely loud enough to hear in quiet scenes but my setup is bright enough that I have switched to low lamp for HDR.

My startup time is around 50 seconds to the D-ILA logo. Warmed up convergence only needed 1 pixel blue vertical. I have it ceiling-mounted at 15' in a bat cave, dedicated home theater (flat black and dark grey SW paints). I use an Oppo 203 and have only made a couple settings adjustments based on tips read in this thread. I tried to be serious all day Thursday and only do setup and adjustment tasks but once you start a good content clip it's hard not to just sit down and watch it.

I will eventually do my best to do some DIY calibration (have a Spyder 5 and a cheap lux meter) but when the wife saw the picture the first time she immediately invited friends for movies Friday night! This machine was totally worth the wait.

Just wanted to check in here and negate the negative trolling that happened recently.
Drem, cargen, Craig Peer and 7 others like this.
post #6998 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 308
I have had my RS2000 since Tues , so I will throw out some of my observations

Convergence out of the box was great,1 pixel shift on red gave me uniform across almost the entire screen.

Working on focus still,slightly soft at the very bottom of the screen.

Took some out of box measurements. SDR with one click down on brightness gave me very good gray scale and good color out of box. Same with my madvr profile using 2.2 gamma.

Coverage of P3 was high 80s with no filter and just under 100 percent ,prob 98ish with the filter.

My light output with and without filter ,106inch studiotek 100 from 12ft:

156nits high lamp with filter
136nits low lamp no filter
113nits low lamp with filter

High lamp noise is noticeable but not horrible, low lamp is dead silent.

Bootup time is prob around 45 secs, no iris noise, no donuts, definitely noticeable yellowing on iris movement with white icons/text/etc. I am on 1.20 with January build date.
Spizz, Drem, cargen and 3 others like this.

Last edited by grendelrt; 03-01-2019 at 05:41 AM.
post #6999 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colozeus View Post

Trust me, you will know if it’s noisy. If you can’t hear anything when using auto 1 or 2 then your DI is fine. Mine sounds like an old servo motor with grinding gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, I wouldn't really know then, since I have essentially left the setting alone up to now, and it's only in auto on HDR mode. And with all my issues with getting HDR, that hasn't been too often.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #7000 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
If you have a chief mount and plan on using the stock screws that come with it, I wouldn't advise it. I picked up some extra screws based on the post in here that says they are too small, and they were totally right. This is the screw that came with my mount dropped in the hole without being tightened, there is maybe 2 or 3 threads that would engage. I replaced with 25MM screws since that is the max length in the manual.

Quote:
See. I wasn’t crazy when I experienced this back in mid January 😄
grendelrt likes this.
post #7001 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12502 Post(s)
Liked: 10128
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Ah, I wouldn't really know then, since I have essentially left the setting alone up to now, and it's only in auto on HDR mode. And with all my issues with getting HDR, that hasn't been too often.
Yes you would know. Auto means the dynamic iris is working. If you do not hear anything, then no issue. I will add one thing.I know a calibrator that said he could hear the dynamic iris when he was right up on the projector, but not when sitting in his seat. Funny thing was, he went to calibrate a year or two old JVC and noticed he could hear the dynamic iris on it, when he was right up on the projector. Sound was off in the room. Said he had never noticed it before.
post #7002 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Quote:
Yes you would know. Auto means the dynamic iris is working. If you do not hear anything, then no issue. I will add one thing.I know a calibrator that said he could hear the dynamic iris when he was right up on the projector, but not when sitting in his seat. Funny thing was, he went to calibrate a year or two old JVC and noticed he could hear the dynamic iris on it, when he was right up on the projector. Sound was off in the room. Said he had never noticed it before.
I wouldn't because it is essentially never in Auto.

LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
post #7003 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
Do you know what they added in firmware 1.21 from 1.20?
I have no idea, has anyone heard what was changed?
post #7004 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey1968 View Post
I have no idea, has anyone heard what was changed?
Maybe mike can comment?
post #7005 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Edit: Having looked at the photos, I think this will just be in the realms of scenes that the DI algo can't deal with, and I don't think it will be anything new. The only reason JVC can achieve high DI multipliers is because there is a lot of gamma modification happening; I (and others) have thought that JVC could offer a less aggressive mode where the iris isn't closed down so much, which might aleviate such issues.

I'm not arguing that they shouldn't make it better or that you shouldn't make an issue of it (you should! maybe it will get improved, good real-world test images are key), I'm just saying that I think you've probably just captured a couple of perfect scenes for showing why there are a significant number of us that just can't bring ourselves to use the DI implementation in the JVCs to date.
So the DI algo is different on the NX7 vs NX9? Because like I said, the NX9 has no blow-out in these images with auto DI. I have yet to see an NX5 though, so I am still curious about that one since the iris is different and therefore so might be the algorithm?

I still hope that at least a couple people can try the test images out.
post #7006 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2067 Post(s)
Liked: 1365
Quote:
So the DI algo is different on the NX7 vs NX9? Because like I said, the NX9 has no blow-out in these images with auto DI. I have yet to see an NX5 though, so I am still curious about that one since the iris is different and therefore so might be the algorithm?

I still hope that at least a couple people can try the test images out.
Since the panels are the same and optics aren't likely to cause this, my guess is either the additional calibration on the NX9 for the THX mode is at play or the firmware is tweaked differently between models. Seems more likely to be calibration as I can't imagine a logical reason they would differ. Unless JVC is artificially boosting contrast on the NX9 using this route.

Last edited by jeahrens; 03-01-2019 at 07:09 AM.
post #7007 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Since the panels are the same and optics aren't likely to cause this, my guess is either the additional calibration on the NX9 for the THX mode is at play or the firmware is tweaked differently between models. Seems more likely to be calibration as I can't imagine a logical reason they would differ. Unless JVC is artificially boosting contrast on the NX9 using this route.
Well, it happens in HDR picture mode and in SDR picture mode too even on the SDR movie. I never tried THX mode on either unless you are meaning something else.
post #7008 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6658
Quote:
Spoke too soon. Not getting HDR from Zappiti and often times only 1080p. And this is after unplugging my old projector from my AVR. Same with a direct connection.

And now the JVC seems frozen. It's not responding. Then after 5 minutes "focus" popped up and nothing is responding again.
Did you work out the issue? Do a hard reset on the projector?
post #7009 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Did you work out the issue? Do a hard reset on the projector?
Yeah. I think it was sending too many commands via iRule that caused it. Something similar would sometimes happen with my Panasonic, though with that it would just stop responding to iRule and still worked with the remote. I was adjusting masking, so I was sending a lot of arrow presses over and over. Hard reset and everything works fine, just had to set the network again to get iRule to respond.

Unfortunately, I'm not having luck with my Zappiti and getting HDR. I'm not sure what the deal is with the signal from that device. Xbox One S passes the HDR fine. I guess I could test another UHD player I have laying around to see if it works too (I imagine it will). I got the 4K HDR to work a couple of times from it, but most of the time it's not. I have it doing 4K fairly regularly, but no HDR, and sometimes it reverts back to 1080p.

post #7010 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 1015
For those of you with the Panasonic UB 820, what are the recommended settings in the UB 820 when you're watching a 1080p disc? And assume you want to have the UB820 do the upscaling. So what should be the recommended settings for Resolution, 4K60p Output, 24p Output? (I assume Dolby Vision should be left off and HDR10+ should be left on.)

Are there any settings in the Advanced Settings menu on the UB 820 that should be changed or that I need to ensure have a certain setting?
post #7011 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
If its a standalone unit count me in, if its still a HTPC its not for *me*. However its looking positive for the former due to the "No HTPC required"-

http://envy.madvr.com/

Yeah it sounds like it’ll be a stand alone unit, it’s not clear what features will come over from madVR though since it hasn’t officially been announced. It might just be the auto tone mapping or it could also include upscaling.
post #7012 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2067 Post(s)
Liked: 1365
Quote:
Well, it happens in HDR picture mode and in SDR picture mode too even on the SDR movie. I never tried THX mode on either unless you are meaning something else.
I'm speculating that the out of the box calibration of picture/gamma modes may differ from the NX7 due to the inclusion of the THX mode (since it's one of the few non hardware differences). Either that or JVC is playing with different DI algorithms with different models. Which they haven't done in the past to my knowledge. Or it could simply be differences in overall calibration.

post #7013 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just got back from an expo here in Dallas where they had an NX5 and NX9 in a room on a 120 inch 1.2 SI Slate.

A couple things:
1. It was the first time they had booted up the nx5, so the rep said he thought it would take around 4 minutes to heat up. It didn't. It took maybe 1.5 mins.
2. I only watched the nx9 for maybe a minute before asking them to switch to the NX5 as I am only in the market for the 5 or 7.

I was honestly worried because of all the noise/complaints here on the forums, but holy crap...the picture was amazing. I have never owned a projector and am coming from OLED so I expected a fairly sizable dropoff in quality, but I was taken aback at how close it gets. I loved it even more as the immersion factor just can't be duplicated on my 65 inch OLED and more than makes up for the negligible difference (to my eyes at least) in picture quality. Across the hall they had a Sony 285es on a 110 inch white screen, and while enjoyable, was not in the same realm as the NX5, imo.

I am glad I finally got to see the NX5 in person. The rep there kept complaining on how he hasn't been able to calibrate it yet and how the picture would be even better. it looked fairly solid out of the box.
Clark Burk, Willie, cargen and 6 others like this.

Last edited by Alex Hindman; 03-01-2019 at 10:51 AM.
post #7014 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hindman View Post
I just got back from an expo here in Dallas where they had an NX5 and NX9 in a room on a 120 inch 1.2 SI Slate.

A couple things:
1. It was the first time they had booted up the nx5, so the rep said he thought it would take around 4 minutes to heat up. It didn't. It took maybe 1.5 mins.
2. I only watched the nx9 for maybe a minute before asking them to switch to the NX5 as I am only in the market for the 5 or 7.

I was honestly worried because of all the noise/complaints here on the forums, but holy crap...the picture was amazing. I have never owned a projector and am coming from OLED so I expected a fairly sizable dropoff in quality, but I was taken aback at how close it gets. I loved it even more as the immersion factor just can't be duplicated on my 65 inch OLED and more than makes up for the negligible difference (to my eyes at least) in picture quality. Across the hall they had a Sony 285es on a 110 inch white screen, and while enjoyable, was not in the same realm as the NX5, imo.

I am glad I finally got to see the NX5 in person. The rep there kept complaining on how he hasn't been able to calibrate it yet and how the picture would be even better. it looked fairly solid out of the box.
If you've never had a projector before, you would have been blown away by the last 2-3 JVC projectors releases as well. And those have better black levels.

JVC has been putting out great ones for a while.
jorgebetancourt likes this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #7015 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hindman View Post

A couple things:

I’ve had many pjs in my room, including jvc’s don’t feel like you have to get the 7 over the 5. Jvc’ entry level always give the next model up a run for its money, when the x70 and x30 came out years ago I had both I’m my at the same time yes the 70 had slightly better contrast but not 2x better. contrast is more than enough for me, The 5 puts up a stunning image, I’m using the xtra 2 grand to add Atmos speakers.
post #7016 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
I’ve had many pjs in my room, including jvc’s don’t feel like you have to get the 7 over the 5. Jvc’ entry level always give the next model up a run for its money, when the x70 and x30 came out years ago I had both I’m my at the same time yes the 70 had slightly better contrast but not 2x better. contrast is more than enough for me, The 5 puts up a stunning image, I’m using the xtra 2 grand to add Atmos speakers.
As a 7 owner I'd concur with this. I don't regret my 7 purchase - I like being able to close the manual iris to get a 'reference' light level on the screen and I could afford to pay a bit extra (but much less than $2000) to get that and a couple other nice to have features - but if a 5 is basically what I have without slightly worse contrast and permanent wide open iris I'd be very happy with it still.
post #7017 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
As a 7 owner I'd concur with this. I don't regret my 7 purchase - I like being able to close the manual iris to get a 'reference' light level on the screen and I could afford to pay a bit extra (but much less than $2000) to get that and a couple other nice to have features - but if a 5 is basically what I have without slightly worse contrast and permanent wide open iris I'd be very happy with it still.

You can’t manually close the iris on an NX5?
post #7018 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
As I understand it the NX5 only has the one, dynamic lens iris. There's no manual lamp iris like on the NX7. I believe you can manually adjust the lens iris, but it was my (perhaps flawed) understanding that you have less control over total brightness without the manual lamp iris.

Last edited by mattztt; 03-01-2019 at 02:41 PM.
post #7019 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I noticed on page 33 of the manual it states in reference to HDR:

Quote:
* The picture mode might not switch automatically depending on the playback content and player in use.
What criteria would cause the projector not to switch automatically when receiving an HDR signal?

post #7020 of 17821 Old 03-01-2019, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:

on N5 ( european model ) , you can close manually the IRIS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page