Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 248 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13934Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7411 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,691
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4784 Post(s)
Liked: 3068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dee View Post
Trid again with 35 cm from the lens in -13 and got 980000:1 + - 1%. With autoiris2
But black is measured very low, and white extremely high, I don't want to burn my K10A trying to measure any more correct closer lol
This might not be 100% accurate because decimals can be up and down.
I guess correct around 800000:1. With a konica minolta 1000000:1 so who knows. One thing for shore its good. And way better than my former RS600 or X7900 you see it.
And against the projector with diffuser in -13 Native contrast I get 99247:1 so 99000:1 At-15 I get 130000:1 40cm form projector.

I think also that it was to high, but have tried now with different meters and about the same.
I have for shore a good sample, and thank Bruce almighty for that, it cost way to much.
What firmware are you running on that NX9?

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7412 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dj Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,134
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
What firmware are you running on that NX9?
I have only upgrade once, V1.17

Projectors JVC NX9 :) , JVC X500, JVC RS400, Cine9
Calibrator: Software: Calman Pro
Colorimeter: Klein K10A, profiled with Spectroradiometer: Jeti 1501
Picture generator DVDO
Dj Dee is offline  
post #7413 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,038
Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5382 Post(s)
Liked: 5465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dee View Post
I have only upgrade once, V1.17
Let's see how that goes when you update to V1.20

JVC Autocal Software V11 Calibration for 2019 Models (Google)
Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
Manni01 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7414 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,691
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4784 Post(s)
Liked: 3068
Ok it took some searching, but here were @ARROW-AV original measurements before the firmware upgrade:


After the FW upgrade, that 700k:1 went down to 250K:1. No one ever brought it up again.

After the FW upgrade:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the previously insanely high DYNAMIC ON/OFF now measures 247,345:1

ARROW-AV likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.

Last edited by markmon1; 03-09-2019 at 06:25 AM.
markmon1 is online now  
post #7415 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GPBURNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 1,133
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
They should work fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
If anyone curious – I installed @Javs 1000 and 4000 curves on N7
To mess around with –-No issue installing on Win 10 – build -17134-523
Or connecting to JVC via Network cable –
The 1000 curves adds nice subtle uptick in overall brightness
compared to built in tone mapping-
I found the 4000 just blew everything out on titles I tried but guess from reading
It’s a more of specific setting to discs coded in particular way-
In summary I found the 1000 handy to have on custom curve –
It takes like 15 minutes to install and its always there if just want to try out-
Could probably get similar results messing around with all those sliders for 1/2 hour
but I don't enjoy that a all
I just noticed there are a bunch of other curves as well available from his link - just one giant rabbit hole

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
GPBURNS is offline  
post #7416 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 06:16 AM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 3,003
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
The DI behaviour isn't fundamentally different. Here is how it works:

- The on value is defined by the manual iris position. The DI can't open wider than the manual position set.
- The only possible gain with the DI is on the black value.
- Hence the biggest improvement with the DI is always iris fully open (the larger the multiplier). This also comes at the price of more visible gamma and pumping artifacts.
- The closer the manual iris, the closer the result will be to native (the smaller the multiplier), and the least pumping and gamma artifacts
- Native have always met the specs if measured at -15, long throw, uncalibrated (high bright)
- DI has usually met at least half the specs if measured at 0, long throw, uncalibrated (high bright)
- Auto1 and Auto2 measure the same re on/off contrast. They differ by gamma manipulation (and possibly speed, I haven't checked) only.
- There shouldn't be a significant difference between low lamp and high lamp re on/off contrast measurements
- The eshift models had a "-16" iris position that was much further closed down than -15, hence couldn't be reached with the manual iris.
- The new models don't have this "-16" iris position, well, they do but the difference with -15 is much smaller.

To give you an example, with my beloved X500 (rs49), the difference in black level between -15 and "-16" was as follow: black was 0.18 lux at -15, and 0.05 lux at "-16" with the DI enabled, irrespective of the manual iris position. This means that the native at D65 was from 26,000:1 fully open to 46,800:1 fully closed (short throw at the time), but the dynamic was 422,000:1 (fully open) to 229,000:1 (fully closed), with a max of 600,000:1 dynamic in bright mode.

With the rs2000, the black level (not comparable in absolute values, the meter-to-lens distance wasn't the same) was 0.06 lux at -15, and 0.04 at "-16". So almost the same at closest iris position, and as you open the iris, "-16" goes up to 0.06 at -10 and 0.07 at 0. The native at D65 goes from 31,000:1 to 56,600:1 (mid-throw), but the dynamic goes from 212,429:1 to 82,500:1, with a max of 235,000:1 in bright mode.

It is this difference that explains the low dynamic contrast in the new models:

- less difference between -15 and "-16"
- "-16" not as fully closed in the new models as in earlier models.

Again, all the detailed measurements are in the new calibration thread, so it's easy to observe how the DI behaves in relation to the manual iris.
My X7900 does not behave quite as simply as previous internet wisdom witnessed by my own measuring black levels. In particular the behaviour around the mystical "-16" is different. Maybe this is a change since your old RS500.

For DI levels with the manual iris from 0 to -9 the closed level of the DI is the -15 level.
From -10 down to -15 the DI closed position becomes progressively smaller, until it reaches a position which results in the black level being almost half that as at -15 without DI.

See the table below. Note the luminance measures are arbitrary, I was just using the Discus with the diffuser down at an arbirtary distance, but for these relative comparisons this is of course perfectly valid.

Note if there is "something" you can do to the input signal that causes iris 0 DI to close down as far as the DI does in -15 then you would actually have the published contrast DI spec I believe.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-03-09 at 14.06.42.png
Views:	197
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	2536448  
Reddig likes this.

Last edited by bobof; 03-09-2019 at 06:20 AM.
bobof is offline  
post #7417 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,258
Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 6364
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Ok it took some searching, but here were @ARROW-AV original measurements before the firmware upgrade:


After the FW upgrade, that 700k:1 went down to 250K:1. No one ever brought it up again.
The DI was malfunctioning though, prior to the firmware upgrade, which fixed it... So the 250K:1 is with respect to the DI functioning properly; the 700K:1 is not.

It is possible that the 'fix' involved reducing the degree to which the DI is closed down, which would certainly explain the reduction in measured contrast


Last edited by ARROW-AV; 03-09-2019 at 06:26 AM.
ARROW-AV is offline  
post #7418 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,691
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4784 Post(s)
Liked: 3068
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
The DI was malfunctioning though, prior to the firmware upgrade, which fixed it... So the 250K:1 is with respect to the DI functioning properly; the 700K:1 is not.

It is possible that the 'fix' involved reducing the degree to which the DI is closed down, which would certainly explain the reduction

I understand, but it shows FW *can* bring the black floor down to spec. 250K:1 I'd consider the DI not working there as well.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is online now  
post #7419 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,038
Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5382 Post(s)
Liked: 5465
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
My X7900 does not behave quite as simply as previous internet wisdom witnessed by my own measuring black levels. In particular the behaviour around the mystical "-16" is different. Maybe this is a change since your old RS500.

For DI levels with the manual iris from 0 to -9 the closed level of the DI is the -15 level.
From -10 down to -15 the DI closed position becomes progressively smaller, until it reaches a position which results in the black level being almost half that as at -15 without DI.

See the table below. Note the luminance measures are arbitrary, I was just using the Discus with the diffuser down at an arbirtary distance, but for these relative comparisons this is of course perfectly valid.

Note if there is "something" you can do to the input signal that causes iris 0 DI to close down as far as the DI does in -15 then you would actually have the published contrast DI spec I believe.
I'm not talking about "internet wisdom".

I'm talking about my own measurements on the rs49 (X500), rs500 (X7000) and rs2000 (NX7). I'm only bringing up the older models because you seemed to query whether SDR or HDR could impact on/off contrast, which doesn't make sense as gamma should have zero impact on on/off contrast, or whether the DI is less effective when closing the manual iris, which is an established fact and backed by both my numbers and yours. Neither of this has changed in the new models. That was the main point of my post: I was trying to recap what hasn't changed, and what has changed.

So frankly I'm not sure what we are discussing, or why?

I have little interest in older models numbers, especially those I haven't measured myself or models I haven't owned. I can only explain that based on my measurements of my two previous models, the low DI measurements aren't explained by SDR or HDR input, as you suggested, and seem to come from a smaller difference between -15 and "-16" due to a more open position for "-16", and the fact that "-16" isn't the same for Auto2 at all manual iris settings, at least with f/w V1.20 on the rs2000, as was the case on the rs49.

JVC Autocal Software V11 Calibration for 2019 Models (Google)
Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders

Last edited by Manni01; 03-09-2019 at 06:33 AM.
Manni01 is online now  
post #7420 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,616
Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4632 Post(s)
Liked: 1717
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
See the table below. Note the luminance measures are arbitrary, I was just using the Discus with the diffuser down at an arbirtary distance, but for these relative comparisons this is of course perfectly valid.
Interesting. Within each adjacent “pair” of iris settings, the white hardly goes down and yet the black goes down more signicantly. It means one should always use the odd number settings (except -15).
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #7421 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,691
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4784 Post(s)
Liked: 3068
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigq View Post
Hmm I just installed it on my HTPC and it's using MadVR just fine, hitting S shows all the normal MadVR stats while playing a movie.
So after installing "plex for kodi" plugin and testing it a bit, I am noticing it does not mark as watched after. Does the same happen for you using dsplayer? I modified the plex plugin code to fix the problem. Happy to share if others experience it.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is online now  
post #7422 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,038
Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5382 Post(s)
Liked: 5465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Interesting. Within each adjacent “pair” of iris settings, the white hardly goes down and yet the black goes down more signicantly. It means one should always use the odd number settings (except -15).
This is because of the dual iris. The second iris only moves every other step.

JVC Autocal Software V11 Calibration for 2019 Models (Google)
Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
Manni01 is online now  
post #7423 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,188
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6495 Post(s)
Liked: 6475
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Must be a "Super" "Super" "Golden Sample"..
Unit variation......You have to test 5 pieces and divide them and then you will have a solid number...
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #7424 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,616
Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4632 Post(s)
Liked: 1717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
This is because of the dual iris. The second iris only moves every other step.
Understood, but what’s new to me is that one of the irises hardly affects the brightness.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 03-09-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #7425 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dj Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,134
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Let's see how that goes when you update to V1.20
Talked to JVC tecnissians about this, its only some update on language nothing else..

Projectors JVC NX9 :) , JVC X500, JVC RS400, Cine9
Calibrator: Software: Calman Pro
Colorimeter: Klein K10A, profiled with Spectroradiometer: Jeti 1501
Picture generator DVDO

Last edited by Dj Dee; 03-09-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Dj Dee is offline  
post #7426 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 07:19 AM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 3,003
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Interesting. Within each adjacent “pair” of iris settings, the white hardly goes down and yet the black goes down more signicantly. It means one should always use the odd number settings (except -15).
It's all a bit intriguing. The very limited range of adjustment between -10 and -15 is particularly disappointing. I wonder if this changes with zoom setting perhaps, I'll try later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
I'm not talking about "internet wisdom".

I'm talking about my own measurements on the rs49 (X500), rs500 (X7000) and rs2000 (NX7). I'm only bringing up the older models because you seemed to query whether SDR or HDR could impact on/off contrast, which doesn't make sense as gamma should have zero impact on on/off contrast, or whether the DI is less effective when closing the manual iris, which is an established fact and backed by both my numbers and yours. Neither of this has changed in the new models. That was the main point of my post: I was trying to recap what hasn't changed, and what has changed.

So frankly I'm not sure what we are discussing, or why?

I have little interest in older models numbers, especially those I haven't measured myself or models I haven't owned. I can only explain that based on my measurements of my two previous models, the low DI measurements aren't explained by SDR or HDR input, as you suggested, and seem to come from a smaller difference between -15 and "-16" due to a more open position for "-16", and the fact that "-16" isn't the same for Auto2 at all manual iris settings, at least with f/w V1.20 on the rs2000, as was the case on the rs49.
I only publish this table here as most of the previous analysis of the DI has been done on older projectors, so most folk seem to be comparing an old view of how the DI worked vs the new units. By internet wisdom, there has previously been an understanding on here that all DLA-X DI modes drop down to the "-16/-17" level, but the results in the table show this clearly is not the case on the X7900. Only DI settings where the base iris setting is below a certain level appear to drop down to the iris positions beyond -15. This is new understanding I believe for DLA-X chassis. It appears that it has been continued into the new series.

As I said in the first post on the subject, there were notes in a few posts of folk noticing the iris shutting down less in their HDR modes than in their SDR modes. The above would explain it perfectly if they have their SDR mode at, say, -11 or -12, and their HDR mode at 0. Set up like that the DI controlled lens iris will not close as much for HDR content as for SDR content, though it appears the real root cause is the change to how the DI sets its max closed position based on the iris base position.
bobof is offline  
post #7427 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 07:25 AM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 3,003
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Understood, but what’s new to me is that one of the irises hardly affects the brightness.
Yes, that is the lamp iris. If you recall from my investigations of the dumb lamp iris behaviour around mode changes during power down; if you get your lamp iris stuck at the -10 position and then power on the projector, the lens iris goes to the correct position. The result is that lamp iris -10 vs lamp iris 0 position effect can be compared. Lamp iris -10 only actually loses something like 10-15% peak white, but results in a correspondingly larger increase in native contrast.

It kind of makes sense. I think the lamp iris aperture is metallic and reflects light back into the lamp which probably then bounces off the reflector and back through the lamp iris aperture, just more tightly concentrated towards the centre of the aperture.

Last edited by bobof; 03-09-2019 at 07:28 AM.
bobof is offline  
post #7428 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,038
Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5382 Post(s)
Liked: 5465
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
It's all a bit intriguing. The very limited range of adjustment between -10 and -15 is particularly disappointing. I wonder if this changes with zoom setting perhaps, I'll try later.

I only publish this table here as most of the previous analysis of the DI has been done on older projectors, so most folk seem to be comparing an old view of how the DI worked vs the new units. By internet wisdom, there has previously been an understanding on here that all DLA-X DI modes drop down to the "-16/-17" level, but the results in the table show this clearly is not the case on the X7900. Only DI settings where the base iris setting is below a certain level appear to drop down to the iris positions beyond -15. This is new understanding I believe for DLA-X chassis. It appears that it has been continued into the new series.

As I said in the first post on the subject, there were notes in a few posts of folk noticing the iris shutting down less in their HDR modes than in their SDR modes. The above would explain it perfectly if they have their SDR mode at, say, -11 or -12, and their HDR mode at 0. Set up like that the DI controlled lens iris will not close as much for HDR content as for SDR content, though it appears the real root cause is the change to how the DI sets its max closed position based on the iris base position.
This is exactly what I said earlier. The DI behaviour of the rs2000 has nothing to do with SDR or HDR input, as you initially suggested.

It has to do with the manual iris position (as always, the more open, the lower the DI multiplier) and the fact that the behaviour for "-16" is different than with the older eshift models. My last one was an rs500, so that's the one I compared it too. If the new models behave similarly to your own, more recent eshift model, why were you questioning my findings and talking about HDR or SDR content, or sounding surprised that closing the manual iris would reduce the effect of the DI? Why not say, from the beginning, this is similar to what I observe on my more recent eshift model, so not new in the rs2000?

I honestly have no idea where this discussion is coming from, but I'm out of it

JVC Autocal Software V11 Calibration for 2019 Models (Google)
Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
Manni01 is online now  
post #7429 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 07:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
So after installing "plex for kodi" plugin and testing it a bit, I am noticing it does not mark as watched after. Does the same happen for you using dsplayer? I modified the plex plugin code to fix the problem. Happy to share if others experience it.
I haven't paid much attention to if it is marking them as watched, but I've noticed that mine won't resume from where it last played. It records how far into the movie it is and asks me if I want to resume but then always starts at the beginning, not sure if it's related to the same issue you found though but I'd be interested in having your fix either way.
gigq is offline  
post #7430 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 08:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigq View Post
I haven't paid much attention to if it is marking them as watched, but I've noticed that mine won't resume from where it last played. It records how far into the movie it is and asks me if I want to resume but then always starts at the beginning, not sure if it's related to the same issue you found though but I'd be interested in having your fix either way.
There is a fix for the resume issue! I ran into the same thing. Here are the details:

1) go to https://github.com/pannal/plex-for-kodi/tree/develop, click clone/download and then download zip

2) in your users/app data/roaming folder there is a kodi\addons\script.plex folder

3) replace everything in that folder with what was in the zip folder and it should work properly.
replayreb, SirMaster and gigq like this.
dgrizzard is offline  
post #7431 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 08:37 AM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 3,003
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
This is exactly what I said earlier. The DI behaviour of the rs2000 has nothing to do with SDR or HDR input, as you initially suggested.

It has to do with the manual iris position (as always, the more open, the lower the DI multiplier) and the fact that the behaviour for "-16" is different than with the older eshift models. My last one was an rs500, so that's the one I compared it too. If the new models behave similarly to your own, more recent eshift model, why were you questioning my findings and talking about HDR or SDR content, or sounding surprised that closing the manual iris would reduce the effect of the DI? Why not say, from the beginning, this is similar to what I observe on my more recent eshift model, so not new in the rs2000?

I honestly have no idea where this discussion is coming from, but I'm out of it
It was genuinely surprising to me as I don't use DI, hence why I just went and measured my X7900. I had assumed the DI on the X7900 behaved in the way that the detailed descriptions on the internet of the DLA-X series DIs to date behave, and it quite clearly isn't the case, the behaviour of the X7900 appears to mirror your N7.

I guess the points here are:
1) The behaviour described with the DI actually isn't new to the N5/N7/NX9. It might be new to folk who've missed the previous generation of JVC.
2) Anyone who is seeing a different closed iris position for HDR vs SDR is likely only seeing this because of the different iris settings they are using in the HDR vs SDR modes.

The point of my original post was musing over how / what JVC are actually doing to measure their DI performance. It would appear either DJ Dee's units are closer to golden than others, or perhaps his method is closer to JVC's than others. Or a combination of the two.

Seeing as JVC are selling the units as having this spec they should be forthcoming with their method of measurement, and if they can't show a method that achieves it on the units they should amend the spec. It has some hallmarks of having been extrapolated by the marketing department rather than actually having come from engineering otherwise.

Further to this point; if my X7900 had worked like you might imagine it did based on how your RS500 worked, I would be measuring basically the DI spec on this unit. Peak white iris 0 2712 / "-16" 0.0027 = 1,004,000:1 at max zoom (so expect significant improvement at minimum zoom).

I wonder if, just like the stupidity of the issues with the 3D glasses polarisation, no-one remembered to tell the marketing department that it doesn't work quite the same way it used to?!

Last edited by bobof; 03-09-2019 at 10:07 AM.
bobof is offline  
post #7432 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 08:42 AM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 3,003
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Understood, but what’s new to me is that one of the irises hardly affects the brightness.
I just did quick measures just of peak luminance at the different iris settings at minimum zoom. There are much more sensible gaps between the iris settings when you use minimum zoom than when you use maximum zoom. Clearly there is some interaction with the geometry of the iris and zoom optics.
Manni01 likes this.
bobof is offline  
post #7433 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottieBoysName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,762
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
That's correct: HDR


This is what I do as well. I see most folks are flipping it and running SDR2020 though.

That’s really based on Kris Deering’s recommendation. Has Kris tested these new projectors and changed his mind?
ScottieBoysName is online now  
post #7434 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,038
Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5382 Post(s)
Liked: 5465
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
It was genuinely surprising to me as I don't use DI, hence why I just went and measured my X7900. I had assumed the DI on the X7900 behaved in the way that the detailed descriptions on the internet of the DLA-X series DIs to date behave, and it quite clearly isn't the case, the behaviour of the X7900 appears to mirror your N7.
Sure. You could also have looked at my detailed measurements for the rs2000, you would have seen that the behaviour was different in actual measurements, and you would have seen the impact of the manual iris on the dynamic contrast both for black and white measurements, instead of questionning the result without looking at the data. We would probably have saved a lot of time

FYI, the behaviour of the DI changed with each generation, I assume to reduce the pumping on credits.

Fade to black was best on the rs49, worse on rs500 (but still very good), worst on rs2000.

Pumping artifacts (iris fully open) were worst on rs49, better on rs500 (very few), best on rs2000 (almost entirely gone, but so is most of the benefit).

I guess it's all about finding the best compromise.

That's why I'm not asking to go back to rs49 level of fade to black, but to rs500 levels. Even if it means providing a separate auto3 mode where the iris only engages on fade to black.

I'm sure one of the reasons why JVC made these changes is because a lot of people complained about the DI pumping on credits (which I personally couldn't care less about if that gives good fade to black during the film without too much gamma artifacts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
I guess the points here are:
1) The behaviour described with the DI actually isn't new to the N5/N7/NX9. It might be new to folk who've missed the previous generation of JVC.
Well, there is no generation between the rs500 and the rs2000. Maybe variations

But yes, clearly there is a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
2) Anyone who is seeing a different closed iris position for HDR vs SDR is likely only seeing this because of the different iris settings they are using in the HDR vs SDR modes.
Which was exactly my point, from the beginning (re-read my posts from your initial question). I'm glad we agree in the end.
Toe likes this.

JVC Autocal Software V11 Calibration for 2019 Models (Google)
Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders

Last edited by Manni01; 03-09-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Manni01 is online now  
post #7435 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 10:25 AM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 3,003
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Sure. You could also have looked at my detailed measurements for the rs2000, you would have seen that the behaviour was different in actual measurements, and you would have seen the impact of the manual iris on the dynamic contrast both for black and white measurements, instead of questionning the result without looking at the data. We would probably have saved a lot of time
I could have done, but it is somewhere I barely visit...! . And I would still be none the wiser as to how the X7900 behaves, which is an interesting data point in understanding the evolution of the DI behaviour.

You probably missed my edit on the whole subject of only measuring 50% of dynamic on previous gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Further to this point; if my X7900 had worked like you might imagine it did based on how your RS500 worked, I would be measuring basically the DI spec on this unit. Peak white iris 0 2712 / "-16" 0.0027 = 1,004,000:1 at max zoom (so expect significant improvement at minimum zoom).

I wonder if, just like the stupidity of the issues with the 3D glasses polarisation, no-one remembered to tell the marketing department that it doesn't work quite the same way it used to?!
Maybe we'll see an Auto3 appear with the old behaviour re-instated so they can actually hit the published spec. It is a problem if there is no way to hit that spec, which leads to... it is still surprising given the above that @Dj Dee is able to measure so close to spec on his units, unless there is some other circumstance that leads to the re-instatement of the "original" DI behaviour.
bobof is offline  
post #7436 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 10:32 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 16,660
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked: 3416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Sure. You could also have looked at my detailed measurements for the rs2000, you would have seen that the behaviour was different in actual measurements, and you would have seen the impact of the manual iris on the dynamic contrast both for black and white measurements, instead of questionning the result without looking at the data. We would probably have saved a lot of time

FYI, the behaviour of the DI changed with each generation, I assume to reduce the pumping on credits.

Fade to black was best on the rs49, worse on rs500 (but still very good), worst on rs2000.

Pumping artifacts (iris fully open) were worst on rs49, better on rs500 (very few), best on rs2000 (almost entirely gone, but so is most of the benefit).

I guess it's all about finding the best compromise.

That's why I'm not asking to go back to rs49 level of fade to black, but to rs500 levels. Even if it means providing a separate auto3 mode where the iris only engages on fade to black.

I'm sure one of the reasons why JVC made these changes is because a lot of people complained about the DI pumping on credits (which I personally couldn't care less about if that gives good fade to black during the film without too much gamma artifacts).



Well, there is no generation between the rs500 and the rs2000. Maybe variations

But yes, clearly there is a difference.



Which was exactly my point, from the beginning (re-read my posts from your initial question). I'm glad we agree in the end.
Auto 3 fade to black (or just call it the Metallica ) option would be fantastic. I've wished for that with my x790 as well for HDR since there is too much pumping for me with iris wide open, but the biggest thing I miss is ftb.
Manni01 likes this.
Toe is offline  
post #7437 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
BondDonBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: US
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Time to complain......High Altitude mode with high lamp is ridiculously loud. It actually may have me selling my RS2000 and give up on contrast and go with something else that has higher lumins in low lamp....unless someone has a better idea. For HDR It really needs High Lamp. The technology is there for JVC to have a more silent fan but they certainly did not do it on this machine. Low lamp is fine but not high lamp.

Hush box is an option but man that would take a lot of work and venting etc. I also have a DCR lens so that with a hush box seems very difficult.

Home Theater: JVC NX7, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One
BondDonBond is offline  
post #7438 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 10:52 AM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 3,003
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
Time to complain......High Altitude mode with high lamp is ridiculously loud. It actually may have me selling my RS2000 and give up on contrast and go with something else that has higher lumins in low lamp....unless someone has a better idea. For HDR It really needs High Lamp. The technology is there for JVC to have a more silent fan but they certainly did not do it on this machine. Low lamp is fine but not high lamp.

Hush box is an option but man that would take a lot of work and venting etc. I also have a DCR lens so that with a hush box seems very difficult.
Maybe investigate alternative tone-mapping solutions. You might find with something more sophisticated that low lamp gives you good results. With the recent dynamic tone mapping release for the Lumagen Pro I've had good on screen results down at SDR projection levels, and it gets very good with a little more brightness. Maybe have a look at MadVR if that is the kind of thing you can deal with.
bobof is offline  
post #7439 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
BondDonBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: US
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Maybe investigate alternative tone-mapping solutions. You might find with something more sophisticated that low lamp gives you good results. With the recent dynamic tone mapping release for the Lumagen Pro I've had good on screen results down at SDR projection levels, and it gets very good with a little more brightness. Maybe have a look at MadVR if that is the kind of thing you can deal with.
Thanks, I am very interested in the new MadVR solution depending on cost. SDR has been fine but I can't move the projector any further forward because of the noise. That would help I think moving it 4 feet closer.

Home Theater: JVC NX7, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One
BondDonBond is offline  
post #7440 of 14900 Old 03-09-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
docrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Okatie, SC
Posts: 1,319
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
Thanks, I am very interested in the new MadVR solution depending on cost. SDR has been fine but I can't move the projector any further forward because of the noise. That would help I think moving it 4 feet closer.
Have you considered either the Panasonic UB900 with an HDFury device (such as the Integral) or the UB820? Either of these (relatively inexpensive) options would allow you to remap to SDR BT.2020 and use low lamp mode.
docrog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off