Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 261 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12351Likes

post #7801 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6308 Post(s)
Liked: 6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver View Post
No reason, just thinking for the future. Sometimes updates don’t work out as planned and a prior firmware is desired.
I have not seen that happen on a projector, however I have seen plenty of TV's with issues after updates....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7802 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked: 7580
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
When I try and update my RS2000 - it keeps telling me - "The USB drive is not inserted properly or can't be read."

Any ideas?

EDIT - I was using a REALLY old USB stick. Didn't recognize it. Odd.
I always wipe them clean by re-formatting in FAT32, then load the new firmware on it.
post #7803 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
from a local jvc retailer,

Quote:
Yes, the last N7 that came here had the 2.01 software on it, sadly it was faulty so it's going back.
The firmware however, you're not allowed to do it yourself, apparently, if you live in Australia, the only way is to send to a service centre.. bizzare I know given the yanks are allowed to..
Funny though, if you click on support http://au.jvc.com/support/ - this link takes you to the firmware page in the USA.. But there is no warning for us here to not use it.. What is going on here? It's USB, did they not make it USB so we COULD do our own updates? Surely they don't want service centres billing them for updating the firmware? Plus there's that damage in transit risk too which would get them even more warranty claims.
does anyone have some powers to give JVC au a good shaking ? to shake some sense into them ? what is needed ? theyve had 3 out of 4 go back DOA. refuse to look at better packaging or courier means and now this. refusal to allow customers and end users to do updates via USB. For a unit that is literally being beta tested and needing updates its a completely unreasonable approach to expect a heavy projector to be taken up down and shipped back and forth with more possibility of damage just for an update via usb a means implemented by JVC to improve the experience for the customer... not make it worse ? ive done updates prior... was able to do them with the special cable and al, but managed it on previous gen jvc. would expect to move forward not backwards with these new gen units...

anyone got a link to a video with jvc head announcing the improved for the customer with usb updates ? it was posted here on avs. love to send that to jvc au as perhaps a wake up call.
woofer, IMDave and michael391 like this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7804 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Quoted: 5335 Post(s)
Liked: 5370
Quote:
When I try and update my RS2000 - it keeps telling me - "The USB drive is not inserted properly or can't be read."

Any ideas?

I had issues with one perfectly good Sandisk 16Gb USB drive, freshly FAT32 formatted, with only the unmodified f/w files on it. Got the same error you did.

I tried an older Sandisk Cruzer 8Gb drive, and it worked like a charm, first time.

So if you get this error, try a different drive. If doesn't matter if it's old or new, as long as you can format it in FAT32 and it's large enough to hold the f/w files (JVC recommends a min of 1Gb).

JVC Autocal Software V11 Calibration for 2019 Models
Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders

Last edited by Manni01; 03-15-2019 at 03:43 PM.
post #7805 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I Think docrog has outlined it pretty well in the last few posts, but if they don't answer your question, what else are you looking for?
My question relates to your comment on the JVC flip-flopping between SDR and HDR when the disc goes through the disc menu, trailers, main movie etc. I don’t have the UB820 and try to understand what the player does in this situation, when you set it to convert HDR to SDR2020; i.e., what does it output when the material is non-HDR. Does it just do a pass-through, or convert everything to SDR2020?
post #7806 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Quoted: 5335 Post(s)
Liked: 5370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I always wipe them clean by re-formatting in FAT32, then load the new firmware on it.
Doesn't help if the projector doesn't like that specific drive, unfortunately.
Craig Peer likes this.

JVC Autocal Software V11 Calibration for 2019 Models
Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
post #7807 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankiy View Post
Soooo, I've upgraded the firmware to 2.01 on my NX9. Everything is still working.. lol

The DI issue is still there. But they have unlocked the Picture adjustments when Tone Mapping is enabled now. Before it was greyed out when enabled. This has allowed me to keep the tone mapping level at 0 (reduced black floor) and adjust everything else via UB820 and the three picture adjustment sliders below the tone mapping area. This has resulted in an incredible image for me on both HDR and SDR content.

Also, streaming from Youtube seems to be light years ahead of Netflix via UB820. I wonder if they just have things to sort out with their Netflix spp.

Can you post your settings for HDR and SDR on both the 820 and the JVC using this new firmware?
post #7808 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
I had issues with one perfectly good Sandisk 16Gb USB drive, freshly FAT32 formatted, with only the unmodified f/w files on it. Got the same error you did.

I tried an older Sandisk Cruzer 8Gb drive, and it worked like a charm, first time.

So if you get this error, try a different drive. If doesn't matter if it's old or new, as long as you can format in in FAT32 and it's large enough to hold the f/w files (JVC recommends a min of 1Gb).

Using a different USB stick worked.
Manni01 likes this.
post #7809 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
Yea that's the one. Lemme check if I have an extra and I will just send it to you.
That's the one I got from ebay and it caused a high pitch noise from the projector (not sure if it functioned).

Have you been able to test it?

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #7810 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

does anyone have some powers to give JVC au a good shaking ? to shake some sense into them ? what is needed ? theyve had 3 out of 4 go back DOA. refuse to look at better packaging or courier means and now this. refusal to allow customers and end users to do updates via USB. For a unit that is literally being beta tested and needing updates its a completely unreasonable approach to expect a heavy projector to be taken up down and shipped back and forth with more possibility of damage just for an update via usb a means implemented by JVC to improve the experience for the customer... not make it worse ? ive done updates prior... was able to do them with the special cable and al, but managed it on previous gen jvc. would expect to move forward not backwards with these new gen units...

anyone got a link to a video with jvc head announcing the improved for the customer with usb updates ? it was posted here on avs. love to send that to jvc au as perhaps a wake up call.

I know Al it's ridiculous.. What is the point of USB if end users can't do it themselves? Even worse is they've never made firmware available to us here in oz...then the support link from their site goes to the US site where all the relevant firmwares are listed... The oz website still shows projector models from 4 years ago.. I'm thinking they've lost their password so can't update the website... for FOUR years.

Half the problems we're seeing could be attributed to the shonky couriers. They basically come to a skidding stop at my factory and I just cringe hoping it's not a PJ they're delivering. Then when it is a PJ I'm like 'oh let me grab that for you' lol. How would we ever know? They don't care, it's just a box to a courier.

I've had 2 Sony 760's both damaged, one wouldn't even fire up, box handles ripped. The lights on it suggested it was 'dropped' in the manual.
2 Sony 570's, one was terrible, the other 'acceptable'
2 N7 JVCs the 2nd one with a red line all the way down the screen with or without a signal.
alebonau, Dandlj and michael391 like this.
post #7811 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 474 Post(s)
Quoted: 6777 Post(s)
Liked: 6393
Quote:

This is BS Al, this would never stand up to consumer law scrutiny mate...

I bet you there is NO documentation in the box which prohibits the user following standard firware update procedures.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves

Last edited by Javs; 03-15-2019 at 06:00 PM.
post #7812 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Sound and Vision

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...big-screen-hdr

NX5 / Panamorph / SI Slate Zero Edge Pro / Salamander Designs / AQ Niagra
AV8805 / UB9000 / AppleTV 4K / PS4 Pro / Connect / Node 2i / RPM-10 C
C1100 / D1100 / MC303s / 800D3 / HTM1D3 / 702 S2 / CCM7.3 / PC4000s
post #7813 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4418 Post(s)
Liked: 2768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
@Mike Garrett has already confirmed that this f/w version (V2.01) didn't fix the DI artifacts.

JVC are aware and working on it. I guess they have to prioritize issues and fixes...

There will be other f/w updates, hopefully soon.
@Mike Garrett has anyone complained to JVC that the black floor on very very dark scenes like star fields is very poor with the new projector line? I'd like them to address this as well. It seems the iris never fully clamps down like it use to so you get significantly worse black performance on the darkest scenes like ending credits and star fields. At least one of the auto's (the more aggressive one) should clamp hard on these scenes like it use to
dgrizzard likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #7814 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 2169 Post(s)
Liked: 2023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
My question relates to your comment on the JVC flip-flopping between SDR and HDR when the disc goes through the disc menu, trailers, main movie etc. I don’t have the UB820 and try to understand what the player does in this situation, when you set it to convert HDR to SDR2020; i.e., what does it output when the material is non-HDR. Does it just do a pass-through, or convert everything to SDR2020?
SDR/BT2020 output mode only affects HDR content. SDR REC709 content is not converted to BT2020.
Craig Peer likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #7815 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4418 Post(s)
Liked: 2768
Quote:

I dont think firmware updates are regional. If you want a firmware update, download it from jvc's website and install it. The file and instructions are available no matter where you're located. It sounds like the dealer is just working off previous model line information.
Clark Burk likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #7816 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Does the new tone mapping functionality for the UB9000 apply to streaming content as well or just blu-ray?

I have MadVR up and running for non-streaming content which looks great, but until envy comes out I'm interested in better options for streaming.
Dandlj likes this.
post #7817 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
SDR/BT2020 output mode only affects HDR content. SDR REC709 content is not converted to BT2020.
This means the JVC will no longer automatically switch between SDR and HDR Picture Modes - one has to manually switch between SDR2020 and SDR709, unless with a Vertex?

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 03-15-2019 at 04:32 PM.
post #7818 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Quote:

I dont think firmware updates are regional. If you want a firmware update, download it from jvc's website and install it. The file and instructions are available no matter where you're located. It sounds like the dealer is just working off previous model line information.
The dealer is very knowledgeable. It’s jvc AU that’s in the time warp see post earlier ? Someone in au/nz has done exactly as you have suggested. And with a unit that appears to have a problem with warranty. As per javs above jvc au/nz does not have leg to stand on. But this is kind of bs we get fed here. @CraigP eer was it your interview with jvc head honcho that has him spreuking the benefits of jvc USB updates. Please we need this to remind jvc au/nz here locally

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #7819 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Since the latest firmware enables picture tone, dark and bright level adjustment when tonemapping, I finally want to use it since I can make the picture more to my liking. But how do you guys set this up really? I tried plenty of 4k material fed from my Oppo 203 and maybe 50% of the movies are able to tonemap. Also, the changes I make for tone map settings (picture tone are dark and bright level) does not stick or save after I jump out and come back in.

Up til now I have used custom gamma with picture tone, dark and bright level saved in for both SDR and UHD. Very smooth and I am never forced to fiddle with settings between different movies.

Skickat från min VKY-L29 via Tapatalk

Last edited by Drem; 03-15-2019 at 05:19 PM.
post #7820 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pultzar View Post
Does the new tone mapping functionality for the UB9000 apply to streaming content as well or just blu-ray? I have MadVR up and running for non-streaming content which looks great, but until envy comes out I'm interested in better options for streaming.
As I've previously posted here (earlier today), both the UB820 & UB9000 are able to tone map streaming media when the HDR Optimizer is enabled. You Tube HDR videos, Netflix & Amazon all look most excellent with the UB820 and my NX7, probably even better with the new curves embedded in firmware v2.01 than when I was tone mapping in both devices with v1.79.
Jim Cutter and Dandlj like this.
post #7821 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 474 Post(s)
Quoted: 6777 Post(s)
Liked: 6393
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
The issue is them attempting to refuse warranty work when the firmware differs from that in which it shipped in Australia.

But we dont have an official firmware outlet as it is, the website links you to the JVC US FW site, so they shot them-self in the foot if they plan on actually upholding that ridiculous unmentioned caveat.
alebonau and Dandlj like this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #7822 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 2169 Post(s)
Liked: 2023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pultzar View Post
Does the new tone mapping functionality for the UB9000 apply to streaming content as well or just blu-ray?

I have MadVR up and running for non-streaming content which looks great, but until envy comes out I'm interested in better options for streaming.
Yes for both Amazon and Netflix HDR content when in HDR output mode.

In SDR/BT2020 output mode, yes for Amazon but no for Netflix. With Netflix there is what I believe to be an App bug since it outputs REC709 instead of BT2020.

This is with the UB820. I assume the same for the UB9000.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #7823 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
If you opt to make use of the new JVC-Panasonic color profile you can't/won't have to choose once you've installed the new firmware (v2.01). The slider for JVC's auto tone mapping level is not accessible with this new option. I had been using tone mapping simultaneously in both the UB820 & NX7 and preferred it to any other option. The new color profile delivers everything that I could have hoped for with the UB820's Optimizer "ON" and the JVC-Panasonic color profile set to "HIGH".

I must be blind. Where are the new options in the JVC? High Bright? I can’t find just “High”.
post #7824 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I must be blind. Where are the new options in the JVC? High Bright? I can’t find just “High”.
Look at the end of the list of "Color Profiles". You should find that the final 2 are: Pana-PQ_HL (high luminance; 500 nit) and Pana_PQ_BL (basic luminance; 320 nit). These are only found in v2.01.
post #7825 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Look at the end of the list of "Color Profiles". You should find that the final 2 are: Pana-PQ_HL (high luminance; 500 nit) and Pana_PQ_BL (basic luminance; 320 nit).

What gamma and color temp are you using? HDR(PQ) and HDR 10?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris. My DVD UHD Blu Ray and Blu Ray collection jvc dla-rs2000, ST 130 (144") cinemascope screen, Carada Masquerade CIH masking system, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W CCMM682s in-ceiling speakers (4), B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem AVM 60 processor, Parasound Halo A51+(2xA21)+(2xA23) amps, Panasonic UB820 player, Roku Ultra, vertex, and Harmony Elite remote.
post #7826 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post
What gamma and color temp are you using? HDR(PQ) and HDR 10? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gamma (2.2) and color temperature (6500k) are indicated in the .pdf on setting up the Panasonic-JVC Picture Mode in the new firmware.
gonzalc3 likes this.
post #7827 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread

Quote:

Any ideas?

Mine worked like a charm. Just a normal 2GB thumb drive formatted to FAT32. Upload the folder to root of the thumb drive. Plug it in, initiate the update.

Here’s the update dialog box.

Just took me around 16mins to complete the updates.

Take a look at the flashes of the LED on the projector itself and it will give you a clue or two on what could be the problem here. Most likely you need to change to a different thumb drive.

Here’s the 2 new Panny profiles added after the firmware update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by desray2k; 03-15-2019 at 07:26 PM.
post #7828 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post

Mine worked like a charm. Just a normal 2GB thumb drive formatted to FAT32. Upload the folder to root of the thumb drive. Plug it in, initiate the update.

Here’s the update dialog box.

Just took me around 16mins to complete the updates.

Take a look at the flashes of the LED on the projector itself and it will give you a clue or two on what could be the problem here. Most likely you need to change to a different thumb drive.

Here’s the 2 new Panny profiles added after the firmware update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't see these profiles on my RS1000. I know I don't have BT.2020 but the new ones are not there.
post #7829 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 958
Quote:
That is all correct, as per my experience today. Just be aware that the JVC will default to HDR10 with any new HDR material, even if the PJ was previously in the new Panasonic color profile (in one of the User slots).
docrog, can you elaborate on what you're saying here? Are you saying that when an HDR disc is in the Panny player and you have the new firmware in the JVC projector, when you try to play an HDR disc the JVC projector will default to the HR10 Picture Mode. So you have to manually choose a Picture Mode like User 1, User 2, or whatever, that allows you to select the new "Panasonic High" Color Profile in the projector?
post #7830 of 12839 Old 03-15-2019, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver View Post
I stopped into my local Best Buy / Magnolia Design Center on Sunday and ordered an NX5. I was told I would have it by Friday and sure enough, 5 days later it had arrived.

I am about 8 hrs into it so far with some gaming, and 1 movie. So far I am loving this beast! That is my immediate reaction. We will see if the excitement lasts. The way the "installation modes" 1-10 are set up instead of the lens memory setting is pure genius and very welcomed with my 2.40 screen. The resolution enhancement is very apparent and the out of the box setup and picture is very good IMO. Bumped the blue one pixel right and up and its good for now.

More reading is needed now for the Panasonic 820 and settings. Need to get caught up.

Going to sell the 590R, it's not a bad projector. I was very happy with it. The new series is just a welcomed improvement, even though there is a several thousand dollar delta between them.
You might want to consider getting a Panasonic UB9000 to replace your 820:

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2019/consu...panasonic.html

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page