Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 318 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13358Likes

post #9511 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
I know what masking does. Masking does nothing to alleviate that a narrow AR screen is decreasing the intended immersion of wider AR material.
I give up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9512 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Well the smaller the screen size the more "pop" the image has. But it should work fine. Just be prepared to do a little tweaking of the tonemapping to get HDR to look good.
Interesting. So let me ask you this in a different way. I have been using a 7.5 year old Epson 5010 to project 1080p SDR on this 150" Screen for about 5 years now. PQ, Colors, Brightness has not been an issue and has been very satisfactory. The projector obviously has more lumens, and is only projecting 1080p in SDR, unlike the NX5.

I'm trying to upgrade to 4K HDR. Will I be able to see a difference and experience the upgrade - better colors, blacks, picture quality - or will it end up being a downgrade considering the screen size?

Thanks!

7.1.4: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center, Klipsch R-14M Front Height & Rear Height + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
JVC NX5 True 4K HDR Projector / Denon X6300H AVR
Intel Broadwell-E 6 Core (H2O) / EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid (H2O) HTPC
LG UBK80 UHD Blu-ray / XBOX One X
post #9513 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post
Interesting. So let me ask you this in a different way. I have been using a 7.5 year old Epson 5010 to project 1080p SDR on this 150" Screen for about 5 years now. PQ, Colors, Brightness has not been an issue and has been very satisfactory. The projector obviously has more lumens, and is only projecting 1080p in SDR, unlike the NX5.

I'm trying to upgrade to 4K HDR. Will I be able to see a difference and experience the upgrade - better colors, blacks, picture quality - or will it end up being a downgrade considering the screen size?

Thanks!
It will definitely be an upgrade in every way.
mickey79 and Jacob92175 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9514 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
Got my RS2000 yesterday and got it set up. No shipping issues, outer box was a little squished but nothing unusual, inner box had one small ding on an edge that didn't go further than an inch into the box, and styrofoam was in perfect shape.

On initial inspection, the lens first appeared to have a big chip in it, but after looking closer it appears to be some adhesive, probably from the tape that holds the lens cap on. My working theory here is that when JVC USA QC'd it, they pulled the lens cap off and left one piece of tape hanging off the lens, and then when the lens was hot the tape managed to float up and touch the lens, and when pulled away a residue was left. I already talked to Mike about it and he sent me cleaning instructions, which I was able to use for a bit of the adhesive in the way of the light path, the rest is out of the light path so I will tackle that at a later date. It's messy to try to get it off as it streaks really easily.

The second thing I noticed that made me less than happy was as I moved the projector, or just bumped it or wiggled the shelf it is on, something is rattling inside the projector. Not like it is loose and bouncing around inside, just like a ribbon cable or something is floating next to the chassis and when I tap the case or bump the shelf, it rattles for a second. I honestly haven't heard that from my seating positions, and I will hear even less once I get the box fully enclosed, but it was a little discouraging. If stuff is that loose inside, it's no wonder there is so many freight issues. I took a video of it but unless someone really wants to hear it, I'm not going to post it. It doesn't seem to affect anything. I do have over 20kw of power, so I was concerned that whatever is rattling will be going nuts on heavy bass scenes, and if it becomes a bigger problem I will deal with it.

Convergence was decent, red and blue off by one pixel, and after correction red is still off a bit on the left, and the blue just a bit on the far right, but overall pretty clean. Not enough to warrant zone convergence, and of course not enough to see any issues in the image.

Initial setup was fairly easy, my install is on a shelf mount, and squaring it up was not terribly difficult. I have a rather large screen (150" wide 2.39:1), and based on the grid pattern, the middle of the screen frame appears to be sagging by a millimeter or two, so if I line up the bottom line with the edge of the screen, it drops off the screen on the corners, and the opposite at the top. I am sure it is sag in the screen, as I don't think it's possible for the image to be arched, lol..

I first got it set up for regular 16:9 since that is easiest (just align top and bottom and square it all up). And then I tested a few various sources real quick. Initial impression was good, with the lower black floor immediately noticeable compared to my Epson. Noticeable but not revolutionary, but I think that is always the case once you get to this level, I never expected more than incremental changes, and I don't feel like I got anything more. Yes, image is sharper, focus is better, color is better right out of the box, contrast in darker scenes is noticeably better, and of course, having 18gbps is an immense relief. I set the Shield at 4k 422 12 bit 60p and now I just forget it. Every source switches automatically to the desired color depth, frame rate, and chroma subsampling rate. PSVue was always a pain because it is at 10 bit color, 60hz, so on a 10gbps HDMI, I had to constantly switch between 1080p 60p 10bit and then back to 4k 10bit 30p for 4k content.

Then I got the image zoomed in for scope, and hit my first "wtf?" Using the zoom/shift grid, I zoomed it out to fit, but I hit the limits of the lens about a half inch short of getting the lines at the edges of my screen. I remeasured and my lens to screen is 17'8" or 212". My screen width is 150". That's 1.4133, and the projector should do lower than 1.4 (I think 1.36 or 1.38 is the min throw). But then I realized that the lines must be set up for 2.35:1, and I have a 2.39:1 screen. I had mine custom cut since most movies these days are 2.39:1 but screens are usually 2.35:1. That is a difference of over an inch in height at my width. So instead of zooming and shifting with the grid, I put a scope movie on and sure enough, I was throwing over the edges of the screen by 2+ inches all the way around. So I was zooming just a little too much despite the grid being inside the frame. Mystery solved.

Before throwing the projector up on the shelf (no easy task since my shoulders both have issues, lol) I mounted the big steel plate on the bottom for the Paladin DCR lens. I used the recommended holes for JVC and the longer screws (4mmx25mm) just barely fit, despite the instructions saying to use the 18mm length screws. Once the zoom was set for scope, and it was all converged and ready to go, I popped the lens on to see where we were at. And 4" on each side was occluded by the lens frame! Again, the rating is 1.4 min for the paladin DCR, so WTF was going on??

Well, after some tinkering, I realized that the bracket was too high and too far forward and the back of the Paladin was quite a ways away from the JVC lens. So I pulled the projector forward and tried to lower it with some spacers. Unfortunately, that meant getting longer screws, so I hit the hardware store for some 4mmx30mm screws. Then I used the next set of holes closer to the front, which are labeled for use with Epson in the Panamorph instructions, but made the bracket sit back almost 1/2" further. So with the bracket lower and further back, I next changed up the bracket mount to slide under the bracket instead of over it. The thumb screws would be hidden by the lens once mounted, but I am not taking it off for 16:9, so no big deal.

Then I scooted the projector back about 6 inches to get a little narrower beam of light as an added precaution. This meant going through and realigning everything, but once it was done I was able to get the lens lined up nicely, and it is just barely on the edge of some occlusion in one corner, which would be avoidable if the mount could be lower and slightly back from where it is now. But it worked, so I am satisfied. I overzoomed by a couple more clicks to hide the barrel effect from the lens, which was minimal (maybe a quarter inch at the corners compared to the middle, over a 150" width).

Once that was all done, I settled in to get it dialed in and tested.

At first, HDR was NOT cooperating very well. It was washed out and looked horrible, or far too dark to be watchable. This was discouraging but I remembered some others reporting the same thing, so I dug in and tried to find the posts here. Unfortunately, this thread is over 300 pages and even with searching, I just couldn't find what I was looking for. I did some searching on the "other forums" and found some helpful advice, and then sat back down (it was after 10pm now, lol) and figured it out.

I ended up changing the gamma mode to HDR(PQ) and then found where I could turn on the tone mapping. At first when I turned on that gamma mode it was horribly dark, and completely unwatchable. But once I found that switch for tone mapping, it was suddenly as bright as if I set it to gamma 2.4 but with the contrast and color I expected (not washed out). I don't know why this isn't on by default, and why it is so hard to find (not even grayed out if not in the right mode). Now that it looked more like I was expecting, I fired up a couple HDR movies with metadata and settled on I think +3 for tone mapping, and like +1 for light and maybe +1 for tone control (or whatever it is called), I can't remember exactly, but it looked really good. Deep blacks, great color, and not dark at all (except when it was supposed to be). I am probably missing a little bit of the black floor because I have to compensate for the larger screen, but even so I fired up Interstellar and the space scenes were still "blacker" than the Epson.

Then I did some movies without metadata, and set the manual tone mapping to +13, and I think 3 on the tone control, and -2 on black (I tweaked it a few times) and watched a little bit of Avengers Infinity War and it looked pretty spectacular. I then fired up Star Trek (I think the 3rd in the reboot series?) and again, it looked excellent!

Then out of curiosity, I turned on the BT2020 color mode with the color filter. On the Epson this was a 20-25% loss in light, and completely made HDR unwatchable on my screen. I had gained some light with the Paladin DCR lens, and didn't want to give up even one lumen, so I was fully expecting to just turn it back off. But holy cow, I barely noticed it get darker! I mean, some people measured 10% drop, but I was skeptical. 10% is barely noticeable, as long as you have enough light to begin with. I heard the filter move into place, and the color improved just a bit, but it was still an excellent image in terms of the amount of light. So I tried it on a few different UHD movies and I have to say, I really love it.

I almost went to bed feeling a bit disappointed in the HDR performance, but pushing through and finding the right settings and playing around got me to the point where I am excited to watch more. Is it worth the price? That is subjective of course. It is finally where I wanted my video to be, and while I could always use more light due to the large screen, I am confident I won't be struggling on HDR movies any more. For me that was worth the price. The increase in light and resolution on scope format with the lens is noticeable, but again, like everything else, not revolutionary. I am sure in the coming weeks I will hit some content that makes me go "Wow!", but in initial testing I am just simply satisfied.

ETA: One more thing I forgot... Holy bright corners! I have always read about JVC's bright corners and thought it was something that you can only see under very specific circumstances (similar to pixel peeping), but the first time I settled in to watch some content with the lights off, the black screen before content starts showed off this flaw as clear as day. I don't particularly care, I understand it is due to the lens design, and I don't notice it in regular content, but wow, it was far more noticeable than I expected. I just wanted to throw that in for completeness.

I'm actually having a replacement sent to me because of the corners. They are SO bright that it seems abnormal. And the lower left side is purple and the lower right side is bright green. Very distracting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00494.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2552138  
post #9515 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastbeat View Post
I'm actually having a replacement sent to me because of the corners. They are SO bright that it seems abnormal. And the lower left side is purple and the lower right side is bright green. Very distracting.
Those aren't bright corners, something is damaged in the optical assembly.
smitty, Dave Vaughn and Jacob92175 like this.

post #9516 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:

Thanks!
What mode are you running the Epson in? It's brightness varies dramatically depending on the the mode. In "Natural" or "Cinema" it is handily beaten by the JCV and with a much better image. The brighter modes produce a lower quality image but if you are counting on the light output of those modes to light up a large screen to your satisfaction then you may see less brightness than you are accustomed to with the JVC.
post #9517 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Has @ArrowAV completed his JVC vs Sony shoot-out? If so, could someone please point me towards that forum? Thanks!
Renerator likes this.
post #9518 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
What mode are you running the Epson in? It's brightness varies dramatically depending on the the mode. In "Natural" or "Cinema" it is handily beaten by the JCV and with a much better image. The brighter modes produce a lower quality image but if you are counting on the light output of those modes to light up a large screen to your satisfaction then you may see less brightness than you are accustomed to with the JVC.
You got me curious with that. Looks like from Art's review it hits a max of 2000 lumens (uncalibrated):

https://www.projectorreviews.com/eps...010-brightness

Calibrated it's MUCH less (630 Lumens in calibrated Eco). The JVC in high bulb calibrated will hit ~1700-1800 lumens. So unless Mickey79 is using torch mode uncalibrated on a fresh bulb it's likely the JVC is going to be better. Still I didn't recall Epson was putting out that much light back then, good catch.

post #9519 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You got me curious with that. Looks like from Art's review it hits a max of 2000 lumens (uncalibrated):

Calibrated it's MUCH less (630 Lumens in calibrated Eco). The JVC in high bulb calibrated will hit ~1700-1800 lumens. So unless Mickey79 is using torch mode uncalibrated on a fresh bulb it's likely the JVC is going to be better. Still I didn't recall Epson was putting out that much light back then, good catch.
I stumbled on this review indicating almost 2800 lumens in Dynamic mode: https://www.projectorcentral.com/eps...ge=Performance

So either there's a dramatic unit-to-unit variance or someone is not measuring well.
post #9520 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I stumbled on this review indicating almost 2800 lumens in Dynamic mode: https://www.projectorcentral.com/eps...ge=Performance

So either there's a dramatic unit-to-unit variance or someone is not measuring well.
After reading some of Projector Centrals "comparisons" and "reviews" I'd definitely put more stock in Art. I don't even think Epson claims more then 2400 lumens in their literature. And we all know if they could they would (as would any of the manufacturers to be fair).

post #9521 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Natural. I didn't get any professional calibration; just used recommended settings. Keep in mind this Epson 5010 was my first Projector and the only Projector I have ever used, so it is my baseline.

"handily beaten by the JCV and with a much better image" <-- I don't think there is any doubting that. I think the issue is my screen size. From what I have been gathering from various folks, 150" might be too much for X790r or NX5, whereas I saw no issues with Epson 5010/1080p/3D on 150" screen.

I'm not necessarily looking see more or less brightness; I'm looking to see a better Picture, both when I play 4K HDR sources & 1080p sources, and better 3D, on the same screen that I'm using currently with my Epson 5010, compared to my Epson 5010. There is no 4K HDR on my Epson 5010 so there is no baseline for that.

So are you saying JVC will handily beat Epson on 150" screen, with a much better image?

7.1.4: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center, Klipsch R-14M Front Height & Rear Height + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
post #9522 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
Has @ArrowAV completed his JVC vs Sony shoot-out? If so, could someone please point me towards that forum? Thanks!
Still waiting. The JVC delay slowed him down and then the first few units he received had very bad defects. We're all waiting for Arrow to post something here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...on-thread.html

It might be a while. He's scheduled for other projects at the moment.
post #9523 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Natural. I didn't get any professional calibration; just used recommended settings. Keep in mind this Epson 5010 was my first Projector and the only Projector I have ever used, so it is my baseline.

"handily beaten by the JCV and with a much better image" <-- I don't think there is any doubting that. I think the issue is my screen size. From what I have been gathering from various folks, 150" might be too much for X790r or NX5, whereas I saw no issues with Epson 5010/1080p/3D on 150" screen.

I'm not necessarily looking see more or less brightness; I'm looking to see a better Picture, both when I play 4K HDR sources & 1080p sources, and better 3D, on the same screen that I'm using currently with my Epson 5010, compared to my Epson 5010. There is no 4K HDR on my Epson 5010 so there is no baseline for that.

So are you saying JVC will handily beat Epson on 150" screen, with a much better image?
Yes. If you are using natural mode even by the potentially inflated lumen measurements from the review I linked the lumen output of the Epson tops out a bit under 900 lumens. The JVC will be about twice as bright AND have a better picture.

I haven't watched much 1080p content on my JVC though other people have said the upscaling is not great if you are feeding it native 1080p content. I don't expect it to look worse than your Epson but there are much better upscaling options like the Panasonic UHD players.
post #9524 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread

Quote:

My NX5 measured 1520 lumen FWIW at closest throw.

And I had my NX5 and an NX9 both set up in the same room and the NX9 measured the same as my NX5 both near mid throw.

Previous year eshift JVC were brighter than these new NX despite the same or 100 more lumen specs.

The 4K panels aren’t as efficient with the light.
post #9525 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes. If you are using natural mode even by the potentially inflated lumen measurements from the review I linked the lumen output of the Epson tops out a bit under 900 lumens. The JVC will be about twice as bright AND have a better picture.

I haven't watched much 1080p content on my JVC though other people have said the upscaling is not great if you are feeding it native 1080p content. I don't expect it to look worse than your Epson but there are much better upscaling options like the Panasonic UHD players.
Interesting!! I think you're the first individual driving this point. This is actually very promising. My heart was set on a JVC for a couple of reasons. One, I can afford it now. Two, I know for a fact that it's an upgrade over an Epson, providing better picture quality & performance. And lastly, I did actually have several complaints with my Epson 5010 and I kinda wanted to shift away from Epson. For one, 3D was very disappointing. Too much crosstalk/ghosting, and focus was always an issue for me. It only focussed well in the center of the screen, but focussed out quite a bit as it reached the edges.

For my 4K HDR upgrade I really wanted to get a JVC, but I've been hearing over & over that JVCs are good for 120" - 130" but not above due to lack of lumens.

The projector will be connected to a Denon X6300H Receiver, with 3 sources: An HTPC (Kodi/MPC-HC/MadVR/PowerDVD), an LG UHD Player (which I can replace with a Panasonic UHD if needed), and Amazon 4K FireTV (Amazon Prime Video & Hulu subscriptions).

The main contender to the JVC here is the newly released Epson 5050UB. There is no direct comparison available so just relying on people's expertise to make this decision.

Thanks much for your response, I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
My NX5 measured 1520 lumen FWIW at closest throw.

And I had my NX5 and an NX9 both set up in the same room and the NX9 measured the same as my NX5 both near mid throw.

Previous year eshift JVC were brighter than these new NX despite the same or 100 more lumen specs.

The 4K panels aren’t as efficient with the light.
You brought an interesting point here. I actually want to get a X790r - I'm only looking at NX5 as an option in case X790r is not feasible for my screen size. You're stating previous year eshift were brighter. Would X790r be more suitable then NX5 then?

Thanks.

post #9526 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Interesting!! I think you're the first individual driving this point. This is actually very promising. My heart was set on a JVC for a couple of reasons. One, I can afford it now. Two, I know for a fact that it's an upgrade over an Epson, providing better picture quality & performance. And lastly, I did actually have several complaints with my Epson 5010 and I kinda wanted to shift away from Epson. For one, 3D was very disappointing. Too much crosstalk/ghosting, and focus was always an issue for me. It only focussed well in the center of the screen, but focussed out quite a bit as it reached the edges.

For my 4K HDR upgrade I really wanted to get a JVC, but I've been hearing over & over that JVCs are good for 120" - 130" but not above due to lack of lumens.

The projector will be connected to a Denon X6300H Receiver, with 3 sources: An HTPC (Kodi/MPC-HC/MadVR/PowerDVD), an LG UHD Player (which I can replace with a Panasonic UHD if needed), and Amazon 4K FireTV (Amazon Prime Video & Hulu subscriptions).

The main contender to the JVC here is the newly released Epson 5050UB. There is no direct comparison available so just relying on people's expertise to make this decision.

Thanks much for your response, I really appreciate it.

You brought an interesting point here. I actually want to get a X790r - I'm only looking at NX5 as an option in case X790r is not feasible for my screen size. You're stating previous year eshift were brighter. Would X790r be more suitable then NX5 then?

Thanks.

It should be around 200 lumens brighter than the NX5. Not much but something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mickey79 likes this.
post #9527 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
It should be around 200 lumens brighter than the NX5. Not much but something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even better!! Thanks.

post #9528 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
That is kinda crazy, if the dealer carries both, would he not want to help the customer choose what is best for his needs?
Maybe his margin was better with the Sony than with JVC? Maybe it was easier for him to get a Sony 695 right away, and he knew there would be a delay in getting one of the new JVC projectors? I don't know. The whole thing was rather strange. People talk about the importance of having a local dealer and seeing the projectors in person, but this is the second time I have relied on the folks on this forum for their impressions of various projectors, and the second time I have bought from a dealer who is on the other side of the Mississippi from me, and both times my experience with the local dealers was less than satisfactory, while from the non-local dealers I obtained complete satisfaction and a projector that made me very happy.
llang269 likes this.
post #9529 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombats View Post
Still waiting. The JVC delay slowed him down and then the first few units he received had very bad defects. We're all waiting for Arrow to post something here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...on-thread.html

It might be a while. He's scheduled for other projects at the moment.
Thanks for that reply. I was pretty sure that I hadn't missed something along the way.
post #9530 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Those aren't bright corners, something is damaged in the optical assembly.
Yeah.....that looks crazy. Or maybe that’s a video of the northern lights
cra1g likes this.

Last edited by jason4vu; 04-12-2019 at 04:25 PM.
post #9531 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 234
The jvc pk-em2 emitter seems to be out of stock everywhere,does anyone know where they might be in stock from a reputable dealer?

Thx
post #9532 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 6420 Post(s)
Liked: 6407
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
Thanks! I did send my certified mail as well but am always worried when it comes to rebates
If you made copies of everything you are good to go. If you are worried call JVC's number 1 (800) 252-5722 and I am sure they can get you in contact with the right person to talk with to check on things.

---If I need PC's I build them around black Friday as parts are so cheap after mail in rebates on the parts.... I had to call a few manufacturers to check in on my rebates after 8 weeks. Yep some where lost, resent everything, check was in the mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecat View Post
Spoiler!

Your interior JVC box looks great which is reassuring.

But looking at those pictures, I see a couple reasons why double-boxing might actually increase the risk of shipping damage.
-The outer box does not have cut-out handles like the JVC box does. Those handles can really help with carrying a big, awkward box without it slipping out of your hands.
-The JVC box labeling is highly professional looking and clearly shows that there is a nice, new, electronics device inside. On the other hand, the plain outer box is how I might ship a bunch of old books and clothes. Many (most?) people will handle the JVC box more carefully simply because of how it is presented - it's human nature. Slapping a generic "fragile" label on the outer box might help but wouldn't come close to matching the professional look of the JVC factory box.

There are pros/cons either way. Just pointing out that the pros of double-boxing may not be worth the cons.
If a person work in any industry that has shipping, they would understand this well.... If its your day to get a damaged item, it is your day I do not care what sticker you put on it, how you box it, damage will happen with UPS, or commercial freight. The great news is, damage is rare, less then 1% of the time.
grendelrt likes this.
post #9533 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4661 Post(s)
Liked: 2954
Quote:
Is there anybody here projecting on a 150" screen with an NX5? I've been hearing some conflicting reports and I'm trying to make a decision. Does this projector work well for 4K HDR & 3D on a 150" screen with 1.0 Gain?

Thanks.
Is this a 16x9 150"? If so that will be no problem.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #9534 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Is there anybody here projecting on a 150" screen with an NX5? I've been hearing some conflicting reports and I'm trying to make a decision. Does this projector work well for 4K HDR & 3D on a 150" screen with 1.0 Gain?

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Is this a 16x9 150"? If so that will be no problem.
How many Nits or fL is "no problem"? Some people won't accept anything less than 50 fL. Others seem to say that 15 fL is fine.

In this video, Kris Deering calibrated an NX9 and got ~23 fL, which seemed sufficient to him.

How accurate is this calculator? http://www.reviewtranslations.com/pr...ulator_en.html
That calculator seems to be quite conservative in its estimates. The NX projectors probably calibrate much higher than the default estimates there.
post #9535 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Yea this wouldnt matter. I had a friend that was a UPS truck loader in Tualatin and they said the heavier the box, it becomes a game to see who can throw it over a wall of boxes on the truck. They ignore fragile and this side up entirely on purpose. I'm sure this isn't UPS policy but the workers don't give a F.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Wow - if that was a brand new box when Mike sent it to you, it's certainly taken a hell of a beating. I hope the impact of those knocks to the outer box hasn't damaged the projector within.
Well I had a little time today that I didn't think that I would have so I got to work on installing my new RS2000. After the damage on the outside box I was keeping my fingers crossed.
After opening the box, so far so good. The inside looks perfect and no broken foam.

What a shock when I saw how much dust was on top of my old RS4810. I had forgotten about when we had water damage 4 years ago in the bathroom next to the theater room and I can tell the dust is from sheetrock work.

A quick cleaning and it looks better.

I have a Peerless mount on my RS4810 and it has worked just fine so to keep things simple I bought another Peerless mount but with a plate instead of the spider arms. This would make it simple to just attach the plate and slide it on to my mount that was already hanging from the ceiling. Only problem is that the plate only fits one way and the hole isn't in the center of the projector. I'm not sure what the heck is going on so to speed things up I put the spider arm mount on the RS2000. It fit perfectly and made getting the projector up fast.

I upgraded my HDMI cable with a 6M fiber optic cable that was recommended on this thread. I liked it since it was smaller. A quick connection to my new UB820 and RS2000 and I was set to turn it on. I didn't time the start up but it was quick. After flipping the image I tried to square up the image, focus, shift and zoom it for my 148" scope screen. I let it warm up for a while as I played with the menus and tried to get things dialed in. I went to User1 and set up the mode for the UB820 and did a firmware update on my UB820. The firmware on my RS2000 is V2.04 so I was happy to see that.

After letting it settle in for about 45-60 minutes I checked the convergence. The red was off by one click and it looked perfect after that. I had a little time before having to go and so I threw in a 4K version of Battleship. I just love that movie. I have the lamp on low and with it on the special UB820 settings I was like....WOW!!!! What a picture!! The color is amazing and the detail was amazing. Just out of the box this is blowing me away. A huge step up from my RS4810. Life is good so far. It appears that my RS2000 survived the shipping in perfect shape and is a great sample. I didn't even notice any bright corners.

Now to get a little time on it and have Kris calibrate it for me. I never had my RS4810 calibrated so I'm excited to see how great my RS2000 can be. Thanks Mike for taking care of me again. Next up will be to save up for an anamorphic lens.

Theater Room - JVC RS2000, Dalite 148" Scope, Pioneer SC-65, Panasonic UB820, Energy APS 5+2(2), Energy AC 300(1), Energy CR-3(4), PSA 15"Sub(2)
Sports Room - JVC RS4810, Dalite 106" 16:9, Onkyo TX-SR875, Oppo BDP-103, Energy C-7(2) w/Energy S8.2(2), Energy C-C3(1) w/Energy S10.2(1), Energy CR-3(3), Energy S12.3

Last edited by Jim Cutter; 04-12-2019 at 09:27 PM.
post #9536 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Will the sony 3d glasses work with the JVC
Also I cannot find the emitter backordered
Wow, watched the last half of blade runner 2049
What an image
post #9537 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 5238 Post(s)
Liked: 5493
Quote:
Originally Posted by slots1 View Post
Will the sony 3d glasses work with the JVC
Also I cannot find the emitter backordered
Wow, watched the last half of blade runner 2049
What an image

If it's their RF based BT500A, yes it will work with the JVC. The emitter isn't easy to find in stock, I had to import from Japan a while ago. check with your dealer to see if they can locate one for you.

https://www.amazon.com/TDG-BT500A-TD.../dp/B00H1FSG8A

Manni01 likes this.
post #9538 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Even better!! Thanks.
If your goal is HDR, you’ll need some form of tone mapping, which the nx series has. Even if it’s a little bit less bright, you’ll have much more options for brightening the hdr picture with the nx series. If you get the 790, you’ll need to tone map from the player (ub820) or install a custom curve or get mad vr/rad pro for decent hdr. Just imo😀

JVC RS2000
Anthem mrx1120//Lumagen Radiance Pro
Klipsch Ref series 7.2.4 setup
Panasonic UB820 //Xbox one X //PS4 Pro // Apple 4k TV
Stewart Filmscreen 135" Cima Neve
post #9539 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Can someone explain to me what advantages would there be for me to go to a Paladin DCR Lens with my NX9 when I’m currently using an Isco IIIL with a cineslide?

First off I don’t need more light on the screen.
Im running on half lamp with a microperf Stewart ST130 145” curved scope screen.
I currently have four stops on my motorised masking, 4:3, 16:9, 1:85, 2.35 constant height.
I use madvr tone mapping, again half lamp and the Image is super bright!

I know people go to the DCR lens to get a brighter image, I don’t need anything brighter.
I know they also use the DCR lens to use the full panel on the NX range.

But for me, what would the DCR lens give me over my current Isco IIIL which I slide out on the cineslide for all ratios except scope?

If I had the DCR lens using the full panel on the NX9, can all my current size ratios remain exactly the same size?
Isnt the DCR lens just prismatic rather than the cylindrical like the Isco?

My current scope with madvr is spectacular, I marvel at it every time I look at it!
I would go to a DCR lens if there were lots of advantages for me, can someone fill in the blanks please?
If I was to use the DCR lens exactly the same way I use the Isco, it does still slide out for all the non scope ratios, correct?
I don’t use a Lumagan or madvr for the stretch, I use the NX9.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #9540 of 14181 Old 04-12-2019, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4661 Post(s)
Liked: 2954
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Can someone explain to me what advantages would there be for me to go to a Paladin DCR Lens with my NX9 when I’m currently using an Isco IIIL with a cineslide?

First off I don’t need more light on the screen.
Im running on half lamp with a microperf Stewart ST130 145” curved scope screen.
I currently have four stops on my motorised masking, 4:3, 16:9, 1:85, 2.35 constant height.
I use madvr tone mapping, again half lamp and the Image is super bright!

I know people go to the DCR lens to get a brighter image, I don’t need anything brighter.
I know they also use the DCR lens to use the full panel on the NX range.

But for me, what would the DCR lens give me over my current Isco IIIL which I slide out on the cineslide for all ratios except scope?

If I had the DCR lens using the full panel on the NX9, can all my current size ratios remain exactly the same size?
Isnt the DCR lens just prismatic rather than the cylindrical like the Isco?

My current scope with madvr is spectacular, I marvel at it every time I look at it!
I would go to a DCR lens if there were lots of advantages for me, can someone fill in the blanks please?
If I was to use the DCR lens exactly the same way I use the Isco, it does still slide out for all the non scope ratios, correct?
I don’t use a Lumagan or madvr for the stretch, I use the NX9.
I think you would gain nothing.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page