Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 326 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16610Likes

post #9751 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6674 Post(s)
Liked: 6670
Quote:
Originally Posted by abinav555 View Post
Nope. The dealers here are not that flexible regarding offers.
It all fairness it is a JVC offer and not a dealer offer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
It looks like JVC cannot keep up with the supply and basically decided to just keep USA happy. I wonder if USA is that much more of their projector business.
Know one would know for sure I would guess, but pretty much in many consumer products, American's like to consume......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9752 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 92
For my intermittent issue with vertical lines and osd flicker Jvc told me that a "special firmware" update made by service can resolve the issue. What would you do guys go for the service or ask for an exchange? Apart from the casual flickering/lines everything's perfect. Build date march 2019.
post #9753 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I got word that my free lamp has arrived at the dealer. This is in Europe. I ordered my N7 back in September / October. Didn't have to fill out any forms for this.

Skickat från min VKY-L29 via Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9754 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
Aren’t you losing a little bit of content that way?
Not losing any content, just zooming in or out (depending on the aspect ratio) to fit the image on my screen.
post #9755 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
Hey all. I have what I believe to be a new NX series image artifact that I would like to report and perhaps have others check out to confirm / diagnose / etc.

I noticed that on a particular scene in X-Men Apocalypse that there is a very noticeable yellow "ghosting" artifact in the image on the JVC NX when it is in either HDR color profile or BT2020 color profile (NX7).

I have confirmed that this image artifact happens both on my NX5 in HDR color profile and in a friends NX7 in BT2020 color profile. Switching the projector to rec709 color profile makes this image artifact go away. Iris is completely open and set to manual.

Here are video clips demonstrating this artifact.
Just an FYI, I ran this on my NX7 and haven't been able to replicate what you are seeing.
post #9756 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
Yup can't wait, Kris is calibrating my RS2000 at the end of the month. I am sure it will look like a holo deck when done
Does Chris do calibrating in chicago
post #9757 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 329 Post(s)
Quoted: 5439 Post(s)
Liked: 5640
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanosWRX View Post
Just an FYI, I ran this on my NX7 and haven't been able to replicate what you are seeing.
Sirmaster was using Motion Enhance on low. When he switched it to off, the artifact went away. So it wasn't a bug, just a collateral damage of using not recommended settings. See https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...-artifact.html

One more reason for not using CMD/Motion Enhance unless you have to, these are the kind of artifacts they can produce (though they didn't produce this specific one when I tried changing these settings here, so it could be a combination of settings and/or calibration).

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders

Last edited by Manni01; 04-17-2019 at 08:21 AM.
post #9758 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanosWRX View Post
This was posted in another thread, it was caused by Motion Enhance setting.
post #9759 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkino View Post
This was posted in another thread, it was caused by Motion Enhance setting.
Yes, but unless/unless Sirmaster posts a correction here and edits his original post, he'll get that kind of feedback

Here is the thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...-artifact.html

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
post #9760 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I did update both my posts saying it's solved in big bold letters on top of the posts.
post #9761 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
I did update both my posts saying it's solved in big bold letters on top of the posts.
Yes but you didn't post your correction (i.e. it's not a bug but a setting causing this) in this thread. Editing the OP is good for new readers, but people having read it already won't back to the original post, and won't necessarily notice any change, even if they quote the modified post .

Last edited by Manni01; 04-17-2019 at 08:52 AM.
post #9762 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6986 Post(s)
Liked: 8265
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
For my intermittent issue with vertical lines and osd flicker Jvc told me that a "special firmware" update made by service can resolve the issue. What would you do guys go for the service or ask for an exchange? Apart from the casual flickering/lines everything's perfect. Build date march 2019.
Is this a firmware you can install yourself via a USB thumb drive ?

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #9763 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
One more reason for not using CMD/Motion Enhance unless you have to, these are the kind of artifacts they can produce (though they didn't produce this specific one when I tried changing these settings here, so it could be a combination of settings and/or calibration).
Yeah, I disable those as well, I didn’t have it disabled in the HDR10 profile and that’s why I was seeing this artifact in hdr passthrough mode.

How about the MPC settings, any recommendations for that?
post #9764 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Is this a firmware you can install yourself via a USB thumb drive ?
No, they told me is a more complicate update, i suppose it need some sort of usb-ttl connection to flash something on a deeper level. It is a fast procedure but can't be done by user. I don't know what to think.
post #9765 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6986 Post(s)
Liked: 8265
Quote:
No, they told me is a more complicate update, i suppose it need some sort of usb-ttl connection to flash something on a deeper level. It is a fast procedure but can't be done by user. I don't know what to think.
Well, if they can do it quickly, and the projector you have has great convergence etc., I'd go for the servicing. If you aren't in love with that unit, just get it exchanged.
OzHDHT, markmon1 and Manni01 like this.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #9766 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkino View Post
Yeah, I disable those as well, I didn’t have it disabled in the HDR10 profile and that’s why I was seeing this artifact in hdr passthrough mode.

How about the MPC settings, any recommendations for that?
With 2D, especially UHD, everything off, except maybe 1, max 2 for enhance (sharpness). Ghosting/haloing happens with any setting above 1 for enhance (well, technically, with anything above 0 but it's barely noticeable).

With 3D, you can leave the default and tune down if necessary, depending on the quality of the source.

Last edited by Manni01; 04-17-2019 at 08:53 AM.
post #9767 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Well, if they can do it quickly, and the projector you have has great convergence etc., I'd go for the servicing. If you aren't in love with that unit, just get it exchanged.
I've had only 15 hours on this unit. It has a very good if not great convergence, incredible detail and has been professionally calibrated for HDR (and the calibrated gamma is far superior to the Jvc own tone-mapping). In this 15 hours it was a real wonder until it started to show vertical lines with no specific pattern (input, signal type, cable, cold, warm etc.). Since the change requires more than one month for the replacement unit to arrive and the "fix" just one day or two, i'll go with the fix and if not effective will ask for a change. Fingers crossed.
Craig Peer, loggeo and dgrizzard like this.
post #9768 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 1380
So just an update. I went up to Ames IA to pick up NX7 last night from Seymour AV. Chris (the owner) was nice enough to transport the unit from AXPONA for my dealer, High Impact AV (user desertdome). While at the pick up Chris was nice enough to give us a tour of his screen building facility. I had no idea they were building such massive custom screens in addition to their normal lineup for us mere mortals. Very impressive facility. Also exciting to hear that his future expansion will feature Home Theater demo rooms at varying price points featuring his screens and equipment he is a dealer for, something that has been sorely lacking in the area.

Anyway I didn't have a lot of time with the unit last night after getting home and getting household chores done. Although physically bigger I didn't find the 9lb weight difference between it and the RS520 be much of a difference getting it mounted. Here are my thoughts so far:

The Good

- Convergence is excellent. I moved red vertically one pixel but I'm on the fence if that is really necessary as it just results in slightly less fringing on the other side of the line. Tempted to remove it.
- No DI noise to speak of (though as reported below it did make a noise on the first change).
- No panel issues
- lens uniformity is exceptional. I thought my RS520 was very good here, but the new QC is clearly working. Looking at all of the lines it's razor sharp corner to corner. Really was not expecting this level of sharpness.
- Color profiles out of the box are very accurate
- I have yet to notice any yellowing with Auto-1
- High fan noise is less noticeable than the RS520
- Lens memory (now installation mode) is much faster to switch
- Input switching/sync is noticeably faster

The Bad

- First time I changed the iris settings there was a fairly loud click/clack. But it never manifested again. Iris is working and silent. Hopefully it was just something that settled during shipping that needed a jolt to get going.
- The unit has visible bright corners when no video is displayed. Something I dodged on my RS46/RS520. Hopefully this artifact will lessen as things settle in. I have yet to see it in actual content.

The Annoying

- I zoom for various ARs and the projector orientation isn't global. So each setting inverts the image making me find the installation setting upside down to set it to ceiling mount.

Since I didn't have long to spend with it I've only done a little setup and viewing so far. I setup install modes for 2.35:1 (zoomed for the 17:9 panel) and 1.85:1 (auto for 16:9 masking). Set the default mode for HDR to a custom setting - HDR Wide which uses BT.2020 - 6500K - Gamma 2.2 - High Lamp - Panasonic_BL - Auto 1 - iris stepped down to -2 - Contrast +11 - Brightness -3. I have an HDR Narrow setting for narrower ARs (1.85:1/1.78:1) which duplicates that except the iris is stepped down to -4. Apologies if there is an error in there, it was late when I finished and I can't recall if the Panasonic setting changed/replaced one of the others I listed. I know the rule of thumb for HDR is wide open, but I like to have some reserve to open up as the bulb ages and I like to try to balance brightness between wider ARs and the narrower content. I also prefer using the filter for HDR despite the luminance hit. I setup one preset for SDR so far that uses REC 709 - 6500K - Gamma 2.4 - Auto 1 - iris at -5. I have not gone into the advanced settings and changed any of the enhancements. I just made sure that the motion enhancements were off.

Source player is a Panasonic UB820. I'll give a follow up post with some more critical feedback vs. the RS520. There just wasn't time last night to do more than get some rough settings dialed in and watch a few clips. To setup the scope side of things I used Blade Runner 2049. A favorite I'm familiar with. The Panasonic_BL was a bit dark, thus the tweaks to contrast. Brightness I set after following the thread but I don't have an idea yet if I'm introducing clipping. Because to the brief time spent I won't make a definitive statement on contrast vs. the RS520, but none of the scenes I skipped through showed any obvious deficiencies vs. the previous projector. The detail and sharpness bump were definitely apparent. I called down the wife to see the scene with Deckard (Harrision Ford) and Officer K (Ryan Gosling) having a drink at the bar in Vegas. She's had to sit through this one several times with me and noted that it was brighter and the details in Ford's face (stubble, lines, etc) really was more apparent. The next clip was The Big Lebowski. I just threw it in because I was in the B's for Blade Runner and knew it was a flat AR film. Colors, pop and sharpness were all what I expected (this isn't a showcase for detail). The bowling alley scene at the beginning really had some nice depth and color pop. The last film was The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey to test Blu Ray. Again I'm very impressed how close all the color profiles are out of the box (my RS520 was professionally calibrated). We were in the middle of watching this one last weekend on the RS520, so it was interesting to pick back up on the NX7. Just in the brief time I spent with it I could see the improvements in motion and oddly it looked just a smidge more detailed. Best I've seen that Blu Ray look, but 4K clearly has a leg up at this point.

Left to do is setup installation modes for 1.78:1, 2.0:1 and 2.20:1. I need to more thoroughly evaluate whether I'm clipping with the brightness settings I'm using for HDR. I need to create another SDR color profile for narrow AR material. And of course just actually watch movies! But I wanted to get some feedback out there on the unit even though it's a very cursory at this point.

post #9769 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

About motion enhance artifacts, i'm not a big fan of those controls but i've read many posts that suggests to let Low Latency activated. Why? I think it is something useful only for games but on movies what does it improve?
post #9770 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
About motion enhance artifacts, i'm not a big fan of those controls but i've read many posts that suggests to let Low Latency activated. Why? I think it is something useful only for games but on movies what does it improve?
I replied to you in the other thread. On the new models, low latency doesn't improve latency much if at all. Still, it disables any unnecessary processing, including CMD. It's a good way to limit the chances of having something causing issues. It might also help with HDMI sync times.

post #9771 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@jeahrens

Congrats on your new PJ. Raising contrast to +11 as you did is not a good idea. This isn't the way to make the HDR picture brighter. With auto-tonemapping, try pushing the slider to the right, otherwise use the gamma controls, especially picture tone, to raise the overall brightness of the picture.

Raising brightness the way you did is very likely to clip a lot of detail in highlights and possibly cause discoloration as well. Leave it to zero for best results (assuming HDMI standard / video levels).

post #9772 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Congrats on your new PJ. Raising contrast to +11 as you did is not a good idea. This isn't the way to make the HDR picture brighter. With auto-tonemapping, try pushing the slider to the right, otherwise use the gamma controls, especially picture tone, to raise the overall brightness of the picture.

Raising brightness the way you did is very likely to clip a lot of detail in highlights and possibly cause discoloration as well. Leave it to zero for best results (assuming HDMI standard / video levels).
I spent just over an hour with the projector total. The Panasonic presets on the JVC do not allow access to the projector tone controls. I did a quick and dirty comparison with the default HDR mode and the Panasonic mode and raising contrast more or less equaled the default HDR/BT2020 profile when using the JVC Panasonic profile. The HDR optimizer on the Panasonic 820 may be a better route here but I simply had no time to go back and forth. There was no visible clipping in Lebowski or 2049 in the brief time I spent. Lighting did not look blown out in either title. I'm sure as I get more familiar with the projector and how it interacts with the 820 most of these settings won't be what I end up with.

The Panasonic is setup for basic Luminance/Projector, HDR/BT.2020, 4:2:2 color, HDR optimizer on.

Last edited by jeahrens; 04-17-2019 at 10:54 AM.
post #9773 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
On test patterns, low latency removed some artifacts that were occurring on quick brown fox. Also, personally for me having low latency on has solved some lip sync issues with certain players and content. From what has been reported there is no negative to having it enabled other than it removing the option to use motion interpolation options.
Manni01 likes this.
post #9774 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I am seeing a lot of posts on delayed delivery times, which seems highly dependent on the dealer. I would like to give a big shout out to Chris at Cleveland Plasma, who was terrific to deal with, and had my RS1000 delivered double boxed within a couple days of ordering. If you are planning to get one of these, definitely give Chris a call!

Last edited by savefarris; 04-17-2019 at 12:25 PM.
post #9775 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by savefarris View Post
I am seeing a lot of posts on delayed delivery times, which seems highly dependent on the dealer. I would like to give a big shout out to Chris at Cleveland Plasma, who was terrific to deal with, and had my NX5 delivered double boxed within a couple days of ordering. If you are planning to get one of these, definitely give Chris a call!
On the list for the RS2000. Chris stated that still waiting for more to come in...

Dedicated HT Equipment: Klipsch RF82BK L+R Speakers|Klipsch RC62BK CC Speaker|Definitive Technology B92X Surrounds|NHT Super One Rear Surrounds|4 Polk MC80 Ceiling Atmos|Velodyne VLF 1012 and Definitive Technology PF1500TL+ SWs|Marantz SR7012 Receiver|Yamaha RXV1800 Receiver for Atmos|JVC RS2000 Projector|Seymour Center Stage UF AT 140" diag 2:35 Screen on DIY frame and false front wall

Last edited by den110; 04-22-2019 at 01:29 PM.
post #9776 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
I spent just over an hour with the projector total. The Panasonic presets on the JVC do not allow access to the projector tone controls. I did a quick and dirty comparison with the default HDR mode and the Panasonic mode and raising contrast more or less equaled the default HDR/BT2020 profile when using the JVC Panasonic profile. The HDR optimizer on the Panasonic 820 may be a better route here but I simply had no time to go back and forth. There was no visible clipping in Lebowski or 2049 in the brief time I spent. Lighting did not look blown out in either title. I'm sure as I get more familiar with the projector and how it interacts with the 820 most of these settings won't be what I end up with.

The Panasonic is setup for basic Luminance/Projector, HDR/BT.2020, 4:2:2 color, HDR optimizer on.
I don't know about Lebowski but there are close to zero highlights in BR 2049 (it almost never goes above 100nits), so not the right title to check for this. Take a title with a lot of highlights, such as The Meg, Starship Troopers, Mad Max Fury Road, Batman vs Superman, any of the last two Harry Potter films, Ghosbusters 2016 or even The Shallows or Pan.

I'm sure that someone who uses the 820 will comment further on best practices with these modes, but I really doubt that raising brightness [edit: typo, meant contrast, obviously] to +11 does any good to your picture. There must be some settings in the panasonic to adjust this, otherwise it's simply not doing what it should be.

When using the JVC tonemapping, I have to move the slider to +3 or +4 to get decent results on my small 88" diag screen. When using madVR, it's never too dark and I have contrast at zero.

So I would look into an alternative way, possibly in the 820, to make the picture brighter (once you have fully opened the iris of course, and possibly after having switched to high lamp if necessary depending on screen size/gain, as these should be the first steps to get close to the target the 820 tonemapping is expecting).
Bill DePalma and Nexgen76 like this.

Last edited by Manni01; 04-17-2019 at 03:07 PM.
post #9777 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2059 Post(s)
Liked: 2270
New review on the NX9 from sound and vision:

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...ojector-review
cargen, OzHDHT, tebling and 1 others like this.
post #9778 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 12:13 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6674 Post(s)
Liked: 6670
post #9779 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know about Lebowski but there are close to zero highlights in BR 2049 (it almost never goes above 100nits), so not the right title to check for this. Take a title with a lot of highlights, such as The Meg, Starship Troopers, Mad Max Fury Road, Batman vs Superman, any of the last two Harry Potter films, Ghosbusters 2016 or even The Shallows or Pan.

I'm sure that someone who uses the 820 will comment further on best practices with these modes, but I really doubt that raising brightness to +11 does any good to your picture. There must be some settings in the panasonic to adjust this, otherwise it's simply not doing what it should be.

When using the JVC tonemapping, I have to move the slider to +3 or +4 to get decent results on my small 88" diag screen. When using madVR, it's never too dark and I have contrast at zero.

So I would look into an alternative way, possibly in the 820, to make the picture brighter (once you have fully opened the iris of course, and possibly after having switched to high lamp if necessary depending on screen size/gain, as these should be the first steps to get close to the target the 820 tonemapping is expecting).
It was the contrast that was raised, not brightness. And it is in high lamp. And I will be keeping the iris slightly closed for reasons mentioned. I'll probably try playing with the Panasonic to see what I can do in the optimizer.

Keep in mind the default HDR/BT.2020 mode (which does use Autotonemapping) was compared with the same iris/lamp settings, so it's the Panasonic setting in the JVC that is causing a dimmer image. I'll keep working with it.

post #9780 of 17958 Old 04-17-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
New review on the NX9 from sound and vision:

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...ojector-review
Nice to see that Kris D's review is finally published. As usually an excellent review from a master.
Jive Turkey and Manni01 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page