Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 339 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13281Likes

post #10141 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3750 Post(s)
Liked: 6400
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
It does seem to be environment specific. I see the yellow tint clearly - like the most dramatic examples here - when watching Lucy UHD on an Xbox One X using the RS2000's internal tone mapping. I do not see the effect when watching Lucy UHD on a UB9000 using the BL color profile and HDR Optimizer, presumably because the Panny is mapping that white down low enough that the panels are not overdriven by the DI's gamma tweaks.

That's all on the title credits with small white text. I just tried the "99%" scene on various configurations and could never reproduce the effect. I'm surprised anyone is seeing it on a scene with that high of an APL. It consistently occurs for me on only lower APL scenes, but in some cases it's very distracting. Watching Roma with subtitles was frustrating because the whole film is fairly dark and the subtitles were constantly drifting from white to yellow and back again.
The problem is not a gamma issue. Auto 2 on the JVC projectors DOES NOT MODULATE gamma at all. None, zero, zilch. Auto 1 modulates gamma. Auto 2 modulates the aperture and the lamp driver only (total power). JVC is aware of the issue and working on a solution. Hopefully they are successful. I'm also hoping the fix will help with the spires with extreme testing (small white object on a black background) as this seems to be related to that issue as well. As I mentioned in my review, I RARELY saw this in normal viewing, but it was really easy to show with certain test cases and test patterns. But they need to address it for sure.

The clipping issue with HDR material that Manni has talked about so much seems to be a NX7 issue as I could not replicate it under any circumstance with the NX9.
Drem, mattztt, RapalloAV and 3 others like this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10142 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post
Are the Installation modes supposed to save ALL settings? I created a new mode for my PS4, where I set Motion control to LOW latency. But when I switch back to my standard mode (where I have all motion control settings to OFF), the latency setting is still enabled.
No, they only save the settings in the INSTALLATION mode screen. They are not related to the picture mode settings at all. If you want a custom picture mode for gaming, just setup one of the User modes and rename it Game. Then select it when you want it.
Drem likes this.

post #10143 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 03:51 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6395 Post(s)
Liked: 6394
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkino View Post
I don't know, it's still pretty bad with a good amount of white, here's a picture of 99% scene from Lucy which takes up most of the screen. The second set of pictures shows the color shift on Blade Runner title, this change is actually more pronounced in person than in these photos.
Have you went for a advanced exchange with JVC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10144 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
The problem is not a gamma issue. Auto 2 on the JVC projectors DOES NOT MODULATE gamma at all. None, zero, zilch. Auto 1 modulates gamma. Auto 2 modulates the aperture and the lamp driver only (total power). JVC is aware of the issue and working on a solution. Hopefully they are successful. I'm also hoping the fix will help with the spires with extreme testing (small white object on a black background) as this seems to be related to that issue as well. As I mentioned in my review, I RARELY saw this in normal viewing, but it was really easy to show with certain test cases and test patterns. But they need to address it for sure.

The clipping issue with HDR material that Manni has talked about so much seems to be a NX7 issue as I could not replicate it under any circumstance with the NX9.
Fascinating. I'd have thought that brightening the lamp to compensate for brightness loss from closing the iris would have a net zero effect and that gamma manipulation would be required to maintain the brightness of non-black content while allowing the black floor to lower.
post #10145 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:

Hey Kris in your review you mentioned that when metadata is not present the JVC switches to a base 1000nits curve. Is that only when tone mapping is turned on and metadata is blank, or is that the default in the HDR picture mode whether tone mapping is turned on or not?
post #10146 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
Hey Kris in your review you mentioned that when metadata is not present the JVC switches to a base 1000nits curve. Is that only when tone mapping is turned on and metadata is blank, or is that the default in the HDR picture mode whether tone mapping is turned on or not?
If you turn it off or use Auto and there is no metadata.

post #10147 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
If you turn it off or use Auto and there is no metadata.
Thanks, that could be useful if there is bad metadata and you want to force a default 1000 nits curve.
post #10148 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
The problem is not a gamma issue. Auto 2 on the JVC projectors DOES NOT MODULATE gamma at all. None, zero, zilch. Auto 1 modulates gamma. Auto 2 modulates the aperture and the lamp driver only (total power). JVC is aware of the issue and working on a solution. Hopefully they are successful. I'm also hoping the fix will help with the spires with extreme testing (small white object on a black background) as this seems to be related to that issue as well. As I mentioned in my review, I RARELY saw this in normal viewing, but it was really easy to show with certain test cases and test patterns. But they need to address it for sure. The clipping issue with HDR material that Manni has talked about so much seems to be a NX7 issue as I could not replicate it under any circumstance with the NX9.
Could you further comment in what real word settings a user might opt for Auto 1 versus Auto 2?
post #10149 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 05:14 PM

I never suggest Auto 1, too many artifacts. I only use Auto 2 or OFF.

post #10150 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:

Clipping issues? I must have missed that. What was it?
post #10151 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
I never suggest Auto 1, too many artifacts. I only use Auto 2 or OFF.
Aside from the yellowing associated with the gamma manipulation with Auto 1, what other artifacts might be seen?
post #10152 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatthes1 View Post
The warnings at the end of the Aquaman 4K disc on my Xbox One X make my NX5 firmware 2.04 blow up. It doesn’t happen on the normal blu-Ray only the 4K and it’s repeatable.

Go to scene select, click left to go to last scene, skip forward to next chapter to skip past credits onto the various warnings by county. After it gets past the India and the red screen and goes to the black and white warnings the projector gets blue lines and has to be rebooted to get rid of them. Anybody else with a new projector and an Xbox one x wanna try it out? It’s

To me, this sounds like something that should be sent to JVC. Especially if its actually reproducible. Perhaps post your other settings such as low lag, cmd on / off, motion settings, enhance settings. Anything that might engage processing.
I played around with it and found that it was the low latency setting that was causing this issue.
post #10153 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 2943
Quote:
I played around with it and found that it was the low latency setting that was causing this issue.
Which setting of low latency causes it? Low latency off? Because low latency isn’t a setting but a macro for a series of settings. We can track it down further.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #10154 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 06:11 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
Quote:

Is this new for the NX7/NX9 then? Since on the X7900 Auto2 very definitely does modify the image gamma.
I've also not seen the lamp power being modulated in any of the previous models so far with DI enabled. Again, is that new?
post #10155 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Is this new for the NX7/NX9 then? Since on the X7900 Auto2 very definitely does modify the image gamma.
I've also not seen the lamp power being modulated in any of the previous models so far with DI enabled. Again, is that new?
Not sure. I had a discussion with JVC engineering and this is the info I was given.

post #10156 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Which setting of low latency causes it? Low latency off? Because low latency isn’t a setting but a macro for a series of settings. We can track it down further.
Low latency on causes the issue.
CMD Low and Motion Enchance Low works ok.
MPC level high res, enhance 5, smoothing 2, NR 0
post #10157 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can duplicate everything low latency does without using low latency. So you are saying the issue occurs only when low latency is on or when it is off?

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #10158 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 49
For those of you following the drama on my scratched NX9 case. I have reached an acceptable position with JVC. Next week they will be sending one of their reps out to replace the case. I could have accepted a credit of $300 but I dint feel that would make up for the deprecation i would see when I next upgrade. Changing out the unit would have done, but then as many pointed out I might have to go back and forth to get a unit that functions as well as mine does. JVC suggested a case switch out by one of their technician and I jumped on it. I never doubted they would make good, but it did take some going back and forth. I am happy with this and satisfied with my purchase.

Jim Parys is Living the dream...
La Sirena III Theater
post #10159 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You can duplicate everything low latency does without using low latency. So you are saying the issue occurs only when low latency is on or when it is off?
I don’t know what all the settings are for low latency. I just know if it’s on the problem appears.
post #10160 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Have you went for a advanced exchange with JVC?
I reported this to JVC a while ago and talked to the a few times, and according to my last conversation with them on Friday they are still working on it but they did say they would get back to me in a few days so we’ll see what they say.
post #10161 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

The yellowing I’m seeing, for example with that 99% scene from Lucy I posted earlier, is pretty much the same in Auto 1 and 2.
post #10162 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
I'm not a fan of bass, but what I dislike most is the thundery effect that some subs make.

I was on vacation so decided to go to a theater (cringe) and watch Shazam (another cringe)...
Sound was surprisingly a lot blander than I remember, but maybe that particular theater just had bad sound.
Theaters are definitely hit and miss all over. Theres some incredible sounding ones out there tho. Once I find one I stick with it.
Dandlj likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #10163 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys View Post
For those of you following the drama on my scratched NX9 case. I have reached an acceptable position with JVC. Next week they will be sending one of their reps out to replace the case. I could have accepted a credit of $300 but I dint feel that would make up for the deprecation i would see when I next upgrade. Changing out the unit would have done, but then as many pointed out I might have to go back and forth to get a unit that functions as well as mine does. JVC suggested a case switch out by one of their technician and I jumped on it. I never doubted they would make good, but it did take some going back and forth. I am happy with this and satisfied with my purchase.
Glad to hear they are gunna do that for you. I would of done that as well if given the choice in that situation.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #10164 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

When their technician comes out perhaps ask about if they are going to fix the yellowing DI issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10165 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How long has it been taking people to get there free bulb?

Thanks,
Steve
post #10166 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Cool. If you have an awesome unit, I think this is a great solution.

post #10167 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don’t know what all the settings are for low latency. I just know if it’s on the problem appears.
Ok, so turning low latency ON causes the issue. So turning on low latency disables several features.

Can you try to reproduce with:
Low latency off
CMD Off

If so you can say that turning CMD off causes it.

post #10168 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandlj View Post
When their technician comes out perhaps ask about if they are going to fix the yellowing DI issue?
Lol the tech's not going to know that

post #10169 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread

Quote:

Yeah the DI clipping happens on the NX7 and NX5 in both auto1 and auto2. It doesn’t happen on the NX9.

Also the clipping happens in all material, not just HDR. It happens on my NX5 in SDR and even just displaying a regular static JPEG. Happens on a friends NX7 as well in all modes.

But the yellowing happens on all 3 models.

In my and my friends experience, the clipping happens a lot in many movies and is currently the primary reason we leave the DI off.
post #10170 of 14025 Old 04-21-2019, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

Please take plenty of pictures of the process. I would love to see the guts of the nx9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page