Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 361 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16553Likes

post #10801 of 17904 Old 05-01-2019, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Are the other display devices full 18Gbps on the HDMI?
I assume yes.
Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 is full 4K and HDR ready. Came out in 2018.
NX7 just came out.
Brand new 18 Gbps HDMI cables, new from monoprice with all components. Same issue with both the directional HDMI cable from pioneer to JVC and with a nondirectional HDMI cable.

I am usually pretty good with this stuff, but I am stuck. Literally take the HDMI cable from the pioneer AVR and plug it into a 10 year old sanyo tv...sound from all the theater speakers. Take it out of the sanyo and plug the HDMI into the NX7...silence.

Last edited by SoonerDoc; 05-01-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10802 of 17904 Old 05-01-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2071 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerDoc View Post
I assume yes.
Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 is full 4K and HDR ready. Came out in 2018.
NX7 just came out.
Brand new 18 Gbps HDMI cables, new from monoprice with all components. Same issue with both the directional HDMI cable from pioneer to JVC and with a nondirectional HDMI cable.

I am usually pretty good with this stuff, but I am stuck. Literally take the HDMI cable from the pioneer AVR and plug it into a 10 year old sanyo tv...sound from all the theater speakers. Take it out of the sanyo and plug the HDMI into the NX7...silence.
As others have mentioned the receiver must think it has to pass audio to the NX7 for some reason (and the NX7 does nothing with audio). You'll have to dig to find whatever setting defeats this. Probably something to do with ARC.

post #10803 of 17904 Old 05-01-2019, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I do not know about Europe, but JVC USA is doing a good job standing behind their product to make things right for consumer here, that have a problem. Their slow roll out sucks, but they are taking care of customers.

I do not doubt JVC USA. I envy the services, prices and promotions provided to US customers. But at the end of the day they too have to deal with problems of an immature and poorly assembled product. If I recall JVC announced on the 20th of December that the production problem was resolved. It would make sense to have an extra couple of months delay on fulfilling pre orders. We are now 5 months into 2019.

I would never have imagined that I would need to have an in with JVC to get my unit after a decent time. And then a good percentage of European Consumers that got their few rs3000/nx9 units are struggling with problems. I have counted 3 faulty units so far in this forum! And there shouldn' t be more than 10 units delivered in Europe so far. Perhaps Arrow can help with some numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post
You mean after so long, there is still no stock in Europe?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No stock no. A lot of pre orders have not been fulfilled yet. Mine dates since September.
KarlKlammer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10804 of 17904 Old 05-01-2019, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
Soooo, Mr Deering calibrated my projector RS2000 yesterday. Let me start with this. That dude knows his stuff end of subject. People questioning his knowledge flat out do not know what they are talking about! He is worth every penny and trust me he is not cheap .

I will post some post calibration information later but let me sum up a few things.

1) It seemed to me that Kris was a little surprised at how good of a sample I got. He has done a few of these and he did comment that it was a real good one.
2) I followed a bunch of setting etc on here and let me say I had some things not correct. When I get back from traveling I am going to take a picture of all the settings so if I screw them up I can go back. Those setting were both on the RS2000, ATV and Panni 820 that needed adjustment.
3) I think I need to send it back because I only hit 98.76% of P3 color with 1.3 DE Errors. I want 100% ok just kidding. This thing tracked exceptional.
4) I thought uniformity was good but Kris showed me the right way to do it and made it even better. Concentrate on the center of screen and the rest should be ok. Also Focus, using a single pixel pattern to focus.
5) DCR Lens throws in some things that I need to bring up in that thread. Picture is great but it is throwing in some weird thing when I throw up a square pattern
6) Brightness does equate to good HDR! Actually he dialed back the brightness to get to 30FL and gave more contrast.
7) Know your calibrator. Be sure they know what they are talking about. Be in the same room as them and be sure to ask questions. You are paying for it.

Again thanks Kris and great job.

My NX5 measured out at 23fL
post #10805 of 17904 Old 05-01-2019, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
No. CEC is turned off. What model directv boxes do you have? These are HR24. Old boxes with multiswitches. Not genie.
I have the genie version. Im out of ideas. Maybe its some ARC setting in your AVR? You could also experiment with changing edid on your projector. Hopefully youll find a combination that works!

JVC RS2000
Anthem mrx1120//Lumagen Radiance Pro
Klipsch Ref series 7.2.4 setup
Oppo 203 //Xbox one X // Apple 4k TV
Stewart Filmscreen 135" Cima Neve
post #10806 of 17904 Old 05-01-2019, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
No. CEC is turned off. What model directv boxes do you have? These are HR24. Old boxes with multiswitches. Not genie.
My guess would be an hdcp compatibility issue. The PJ is negotiating some copy protection with the hr24, but the receiver doesn't support what was selected. I would ask pioneer if they can get a log or something to investigate the handshake. To me it seems very likely it is their issue.

If the receiver has the ability to do any kind of image conversion or upsampling. You might try enabling that as it could cause the handshaking to change. The avr might do the pairing with the hr24 instead of the pj. This is a guess, I have no idea if that could work :-).

steve
post #10807 of 17904 Old 05-01-2019, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Obviously there is something in the NX7 that is preventing the receiver from receiving the digital audio signal from the DirecTV boxes. Can't figure it out.
Although it will remove 4k ability, can you temporarily switch to HDMI2 on the JVC and change the JVC EDID setting for HDMI2 from A to B. That sets legacy device mode. If that works, you may be able to use a Dr HDMI between your receiver and DirecTV box to do the same thing.

BTW for DirecTV you aren't missing out on anything by using the optical connection you found to work.
post #10808 of 17904 Old 05-01-2019, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
Although it will remove 4k ability, can you temporarily switch to HDMI2 on the JVC and change the JVC EDID setting for HDMI2 from A to B. That sets legacy device mode. If that works, you may be able to use a Dr HDMI between your receiver and DirecTV box to do the same thing.

BTW for DirecTV you aren't missing out on anything by using the optical connection you found to work.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I know I'm getting DD 5.1 at best from the DTV boxes, regardless of HDMI or optical, so not too worried. Just would like to have an A-HA! moment and figure out why.
post #10809 of 17904 Old 05-01-2019, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So, this started happening with my RS2000 tonight. It's not always the same pattern of colors. Was just watching Survivor and an assortment of color bars popped up on the screen. Turned it off and turned it back on, the source was viewable for about 30 seconds before this new set of colors popped up. The menu will still work, but it won't display anything else. Even switching HDMI inputs has no effect.

post #10810 of 17904 Old 05-01-2019, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post
So, this started happening with my RS2000 tonight. It's not always the same pattern of colors. Was just watching Survivor and an assortment of color bars popped up on the screen. Turned it off and turned it back on, the source was viewable for about 30 seconds before this new set of colors popped up. The menu will still work, but it won't display anything else. Even switching HDMI inputs has no effect.

Try multiple sources. If on all sources and using an AVR try connecting directly from a source and bypassing the AVR. Try another HDMI cable. If all else fails, factory reset the projector and then call your dealer if it's still happening.
post #10811 of 17904 Old 05-01-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
Try multiple sources. If on all sources and using an AVR try connecting directly from a source and bypassing the AVR. Try another HDMI cable. If all else fails, factory reset the projector and then call your dealer if it's still happening.
Already tried multiple sources. I tried no source. I switched to HDMI 2 and nothing was plugged into it. Same problem.

I lasted about 20 minutes this time before another set of bars popped up. If I switch the picture mode, it will give me one solid color. Switching back to the picture mode it was on when the bars appeared will bring back the bars. It was a good 120 hours while it lasted. I did contact support. Really weird. I wasn't doing anything special before it started happening. It was just being fed a 1080p source using the Natural picture mode.

Last edited by BrandonJF; 05-01-2019 at 07:59 PM.
post #10812 of 17904 Old 05-01-2019, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
This is a good thought and actually isn't a bad temp solution if it works and if you were not using the second input. The avr is an observer of the handshake and since HR24 doesn't support hdcp 2.2 there will be a fallback exchange. It seems likely to me the avr gets confused by that fallback and then doesn't know how to receive the audio. Setting edid b might avoid the confusing exchange.

Or better yet - contact DTV and tell them you need an upgrade to the HR54 (which supports 4k and should report hdcp 2.2).
post #10813 of 17904 Old 05-01-2019, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Do you live a long way from the dealer? I think I'd be wanting to go there and check the issues myself to be honest, before taking it away with me.

Yep I agree. I’m going there too. The installer will then pick it up and install for me next week. Can’t wait

All issues were checked by the dealer and they said it was all ok. They’ve even contacted JVC Japan and sent them my list of issues as feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10814 of 17904 Old 05-01-2019, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Bummer!

Quote:
Already tried multiple sources. I tried no source. I switched to HDMI 2 and nothing was plugged into it. Same problem.

I lasted about 20 minutes this time before another set of bars popped up. If I switch the picture mode, it will give me one solid color. Switching back to the picture mode it was on when the bars appeared will bring back the bars. It was a good 120 hours while it lasted. I did contact support. Really weird. I wasn't doing anything special before it started happening. It was just being fed a 1080p source using the Natural picture mode.
The intermittent nature makes it sound like it could be a heat related hardware issue, but it could also be a firmware issue, with some kind of bug or memory corruption that causes a freeze.

Keep us posted, let us know what the problem was.

JVC DLA-NX9 / 156" 2.4:1 CIH Seymour AT screen / Marantz AV7704 11.2 / Yamaha MX-A5000 11-ch amp
HTPC MadVR RTX 2080 / 24TB PMS Server (direct UHD rips)
Adam A8X monitor LCR / RBH A-610 x 8 / Kef Ci160ER x 4 / HSU ULS-15
Secondary: Samsung UN82MU8000 / Marantz NR1607 AVR / Kef Q150 + Minx Min 10 / SVS SB-2000
post #10815 of 17904 Old 05-02-2019, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Welcome in the club of "weird things happening with my Jvc". I have the same issue, blue bars instead of green/multicolor but same beahviour. It pop out of the blue for no reason no matter what input etc. and the osd is perfect, only image is affected. Need to restart, sometimes it pops out again in a few muinutes, sometimes i don't have it for hours no matter how many "stress" tests i make. At first i've thought of an hardware defect but since it seems that more and more users are experiencing this strange behaviour i'm beginning to think of a software/firmware issue. Anyway my dealer is in contact with Jvc Japan to see if this is firmware issue or the projector needs to be replaced. I'll keep you posted on the results ... btw when there is no issue showing the image is pure perfection.
post #10816 of 17904 Old 05-02-2019, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Actually, the UB820's "Basic Luminance LCD & Projector" is the 500-nit mode, corresponding to the "High" luminance mode on the UB9000. The UB9000 also has the "Basic" luminance mode of 350 nits, which the UB820 doesn't have. Pretty poor use of terminology, obviously.

Theoretically, the 350 nit mode would be more appropriate to these JVC Projectors, but there are plenty of people using the 500 nit mode of the UB820 and like it just fine. Perhaps ask in the UB9000 thread, as only uB9000 owners would be in a position to make direct comparisons.

Whether that's worth doubling the price of an already somewhat expensive player is a subjective call.
Thanks for the info. Since the NX7 projector itself does pretty good tone mapping, I'm thinking of simply using that for the time being -- with my Xbox One X for UHD playback -- instead of buying a very expensive Panasonic UHD player for a physical media format that's slowly in decline.

That way I can save money that could be better spent on a madVR Envy standalone box when it comes out later this year. If rumors are correct, its real-time "dynamic tone mapping" will be better than the JVC or Panasonic tone mapping, and better even than the Lumagen Radiance's DTM. Additionally, the madVR Envy will be able to dynamically tone map from any source, not just the UHD player. No HTPC required! (Of course, it's all just vaporware until we can actually buy them...)
DLCPhoto likes this.

Sci-Fi Theater, a modest 13-ft x 18-ft home theater room with riser
PROJECTOR: JVC NX7 | SCREEN: 115" Elunevision Reference 4K 1.0 gain
RECEIVER: Denon X8500H 13.2 | SOURCES: TiVo Bolt, Xbox One X, Apple TV 4K
SUBS: 2 x SVS SB16-Ultra | L/C/R: 3 x JTR 228HT | SURROUNDS: 6 x JTR Single 8HT-lp
ATMOS: 4 x MartinLogan 8" ElectroMotion R | SEATS: Seatcraft Diamante
post #10817 of 17904 Old 05-02-2019, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
Welcome in the club of "weird things happening with my Jvc". I have the same issue, blue bars instead of green/multicolor but same beahviour. It pop out of the blue for no reason no matter what input etc. and the osd is perfect, only image is affected. Need to restart, sometimes it pops out again in a few muinutes, sometimes i don't have it for hours no matter how many "stress" tests i make. At first i've thought of an hardware defect but since it seems that more and more users are experiencing this strange behaviour i'm beginning to think of a software/firmware issue. Anyway my dealer is in contact with Jvc Japan to see if this is firmware issue or the projector needs to be replaced. I'll keep you posted on the results ... btw when there is no issue showing the image is pure perfection.

Are you guys connecting to an Avr when this is happening? Unplug the hdmi at both ends and try connecting directly to Blu-ray your player.
post #10818 of 17904 Old 05-02-2019, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 257
This reminds me of the "HDMI lock up issue" that the previous series had. The main difference is that the new series is still able to show the menu. And you don't have to shut down the projector blindly.
With the older series there were not always handshakes necessary to cause a lock up. I had a HDMI splitter that was able to cause lock ups within a minute if it was put somewhere in the HDMI chain. And there even was an interaction between Radiance and projector that could cause one of the devices to fail after a handshake.

Luckily I have not experienced this with my NX9 (yet).

Projection: JVC DLA-NX9
VP/Calibration: Lumagen Radiance Pro, LightSpace CMS, x-rite i1 Pro 2, x-rite i1 Display 3
post #10819 of 17904 Old 05-02-2019, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
Are you guys connecting to an Avr when this is happening? Unplug the hdmi at both ends and try connecting directly to Blu-ray your player.
Yes i have a Marantz 8805 pre. This is one of most common pre in HT actual world, not an "esoteric" thing. I need the pre, i need his switching between sources and i need the pre OSD for setting audio. Connecting directly is something i can try but, as i've said, is not an issue that happens all the time, i can put +10hrs on the vpr with no issues at all. And when the issue happen is also on the hdmi2 input who has no connections at all.
My thought is that if it is something firmware related Jvc should tell users so that we don't have to loose our minds in endless tests. If it's broken, repair or replacement. But since this kind of issues are becoming more and more frequent in N series owners, Jvc should make a statement about this.
post #10820 of 17904 Old 05-02-2019, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
After it happens and I switch inputs on the projector, the AVR is out of the equation. When switching to HDMI 2 (with nothing plugged in), I should just get a blank blue screen. I'll get the same colored bars. Once it happens, there is no getting rid of it without shutting down the projector. I can make it turn into one solid color by switching picture modes, but I'm not going to get video back. I don't know if the thought is that the AVR "triggers" something in the PJ to cause video to stop working and display random color bars that won't go away even when the source is removed.... if it somehow managed to do that, I'd still say it's the projector's problem. I've owned plenty of projectors and other display devices - I've never seen something like this happen.

Last night it ended up happening 3 times. I did manage to go about an hour after the last incident without it happening again.

Someone else mentioned a possible heat issue and that thought crossed my mind as well. This projector has seemed to be a bit more of a space heater than my last one (RS500). Last night, I was only using low lamp, though, and it had only been on for about 30 minutes before this started happening, so it would be odd. Hopefully, someone from JVC support can identify what could cause these bars to appear.
post #10821 of 17904 Old 05-02-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
After it happens and I switch inputs on the projector, the AVR is out of the equation. When switching to HDMI 2 (with nothing plugged in), I should just get a blank blue screen. I'll get the same colored bars. Once it happens, there is no getting rid of it without shutting down the projector. I can make it turn into one solid color by switching picture modes, but I'm not going to get video back. I don't know if the thought is that the AVR "triggers" something in the PJ to cause video to stop working and display random color bars that won't go away even when the source is removed.... if it somehow managed to do that, I'd still say it's the projector's problem. I've owned plenty of projectors and other display devices - I've never seen something like this happen.

Last night it ended up happening 3 times. I did manage to go about an hour after the last incident without it happening again.

Someone else mentioned a possible heat issue and that thought crossed my mind as well. This projector has seemed to be a bit more of a space heater than my last one (RS500). Last night, I was only using low lamp, though, and it had only been on for about 30 minutes before this started happening, so it would be odd. Hopefully, someone from JVC support can identify what could cause these bars to appear.
Just for testing purposes try going directly to the source, bypass the avr completely. I dont use an hdmi pre pro and have not experienced a single hiccup with my nx5
If this does not happen When bypassing the avr then it’s an hdmi issue, regardless if this didn’t happen with the other PJs ...
Possibly a shorter or higher quality certified HDMI cable is needed.
post #10822 of 17904 Old 05-02-2019, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 4883 Post(s)
Liked: 1847
Quote:
For sure this is a projector problem. Quite a few people had a very same issue on their e-shift units, although the bars were green instead of multi-coloured. On those units, turning on low latency would make the projector snap out of it, but apparently this does work with the 4K models.
post #10823 of 17904 Old 05-02-2019, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes i have a Marantz 8805 pre. This is one of most common pre in HT actual world, not an "esoteric" thing. I need the pre, i need his switching between sources and i need the pre OSD for setting audio. Connecting directly is something i can try but, as i've said, is not an issue that happens all the time, i can put +10hrs on the vpr with no issues at all. And when the issue happen is also on the hdmi2 input who has no connections at all.
My thought is that if it is something firmware related Jvc should tell users so that we don't have to loose our minds in endless tests. If it's broken, repair or replacement. But since this kind of issues are becoming more and more frequent in N series owners, Jvc should make a statement about this.
I go directly into my oppo 205 and haven’t experienced a single hiccup in over 2 months, I hear what your saying about needing your avr but it hard for manufacturers to test compatibility with all products, that’s why hdmi has been a nightmare.
post #10824 of 17904 Old 05-02-2019, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Morgan View Post
Thanks for the info. Since the NX7 projector itself does pretty good tone mapping, I'm thinking of simply using that for the time being -- with my Xbox One X for UHD playback -- instead of buying a very expensive Panasonic UHD player for a physical media format that's slowly in decline.

That way I can save money that could be better spent on a madVR Envy standalone box when it comes out later this year. If rumors are correct, its real-time "dynamic tone mapping" will be better than the JVC or Panasonic tone mapping, and better even than the Lumagen Radiance's DTM. Additionally, the madVR Envy will be able to dynamically tone map from any source, not just the UHD player. No HTPC required! (Of course, it's all just vaporware until we can actually buy them...)

And around how much do you think the MadVR Envy will cost? If a Panasonic player is very expensive and the madVR Envy is better than the lumagen and the lumagen retails around $6-8k
post #10825 of 17904 Old 05-02-2019, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I go directly into my oppo 205 and haven’t experienced a single hiccup in over 2 months, I hear what your saying about needing your avr but it hard for manufacturers to test compatibility with all products, that’s why hdmi has been a nightmare.
If there's some sort of compatibility issue with avr/pre it seems to me that is with all or at least most of the avr/pre actually used. Others users have different avr/pre and similar issues.
post #10826 of 17904 Old 05-02-2019, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I go directly into my oppo 205 and haven’t experienced a single hiccup in over 2 months,
And after putting 120 hours on it, I would've said I had not experienced a single hiccup, either. Hour 122 changed that.
post #10827 of 17904 Old 05-02-2019, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If there's some sort of compatibility issue with avr/pre it seems to me that is with all or at least most of the avr/pre actually used. Others users have different avr/pre and similar issues.
Yeah, there is no chance it's an AVR issue.
post #10828 of 17904 Old 05-02-2019, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 4883 Post(s)
Liked: 1847
Quote:
If the projector remains “locked up” even when no input is physically connected, it’s not a compatibility issue.
post #10829 of 17904 Old 05-02-2019, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
And after putting 120 hours on it, I would've said I had not experienced a single hiccup, either. Hour 122 changed that.
My RS600 used to do this. I had the HDFURY, and in the process of shifting through all of the available modes, I could get it to come back and resync.

Hook Fury up to computer (or use IR codes) and just keep clicking through modes and it'd resync.

To another point someone posted, it was always green on the RS600, not multicolored but if you have access to a Fury, give it a try.
post #10830 of 17904 Old 05-02-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12535 Post(s)
Liked: 10149
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
I am asking JVC if I can release the info I have on this.
Chopsus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page